PDA

View Full Version : 7238 yesterday

goosano
25-04-2011, 08:06 AM
When did we last have an attendance that low for a league game?

lucky
25-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Saturdays against St Johnston will be worse. This season is going from bad to worse

Saorsa
25-04-2011, 08:08 AM
When did we last have an attendance that low for a league game?watch out for lower next week :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Last time we had a crowd of that size for a league game would probably be around the time that we demolished the old west. Looks like all the players have switched off. The ones that are being kept seemed to have lost the urgency or need to perform and the ones that are maybe not couldn't care. Most fans have written this season off and the players have as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Just as well we built the new stand before getting the product on the park right first!

mickki40
25-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Last time we had a crowd of that size for a league game would probably be around the time that we demolished the old west. Looks like all the players have switched off. The ones that are being kept seemed to have lost the urgency or need to perform and the ones that are maybe not couldn't care. Most fans have written this season off and the players have as well.

Got to agree there... I think they have switched off after a good period of footy we are back to the mundane. Maybe they are not keyed up for bottom 6 games. Fact is we are in a position of our own making. Nobody to blame but themselves for not being top 6. Very hard for the support to come out. I personally don't want to miss a game unless circumstances dictate otherwise. However I can see whay some people don't come.

GGTTH
Keep the Faith

The_Todd
25-04-2011, 08:41 AM
An example of why the split is rubbish. St Mirren practically safe, Hibs can't finish higher than 7th, nothing to play for = snorefest.

easty
25-04-2011, 08:47 AM
An example of why the split is rubbish. St Mirren practically safe, Hibs can't finish higher than 7th, nothing to play for = snorefest.

It's not the fault of the split that we've got nothing to play for, it's cos we've been terrible this season. Even if there was no split and we could, theoretically, finish 5th this season...there would still be poor crowds. You could take away the split and give us another 10 games to play, we'd still no catch Dundee Utd and Hearts or have anything to play for.

Bishop Hibee
25-04-2011, 08:58 AM

Imagine a 16 team league with Hibs 8th with 4 games to play. The same scenario would occur. Like it or loath it, we'd have had plenty to play for in a 10 team league this season!

As for the crowd, to play a game on Easter Sunday afternoon, arguably second only to Christmas Day for family commitments, was plain stupid.

8216 on Saturday.

matty_f
25-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Reckon the big break in March effectively ended our season. We had a good bit of momentum going then, were on a good run and were playing some decent football.

It's been pish since we came back, at which point we pretty much knew we were safe, and had next to no chance of getting top 6, which effectively ended the season there.

Roll on next season!

The_Todd
25-04-2011, 09:07 AM
It's not the fault of the split that we've got nothing to play for, it's cos we've been terrible this season. Even if there was no split and we could, theoretically, finish 5th this season...there would still be poor crowds. You could take away the split and give us another 10 games to play, we'd still no catch Dundee Utd and Hearts or have anything to play for.

Imagine a 16 team league with Hibs 8th with 4 games to play. The same scenario would occur. Like it or loath it, we'd have had plenty to play for in a 10 team league this season!

As for the crowd, to play a game on Easter Sunday afternoon, arguably second only to Christmas Day for family commitments, was plain stupid.

8216 on Saturday.

While I see your points, I disagree. Without the split now we could still be pushing for 6th or 5th, something with a little more respectibility. We'd also get another derby out of it.

The idea of the split is it means the top six have a mini league to bettle for the league and final euro spots, and the bottom six all battle relegation to keep the season exciting. Well, it's not how it works out and all it does is mess with the fixture lists. I'm still to be convinced of the point of the split.

marinello59
25-04-2011, 09:16 AM
While I see your points, I disagree. Without the split now we could still be pushing for 6th or 5th, something with a little more respectibility. We'd also get another derby out of it.

The idea of the split is it means the top six have a mini league to bettle for the league and final euro spots, and the bottom six all battle relegation to keep the season exciting. Well, it's not how it works out and all it does is mess with the fixture lists. I'm still to be convinced of the point of the split.

It ensures that there are enough league fixtures for the clubs to compete in. Without it the choice would be between a paltry 22 fixtures or a bloated 44. The alternative would be a ten team league with no split. Or an 18 team league with no split. Of course that would mean only two Derbies a season so instead of that extra Derby you fancy we would actually have one less.

easty
25-04-2011, 09:26 AM

I don't like the split either but we'd still have nothing left to play for if it didn't exist. While I'd agree that 5th or 6th has a little more respectability, respectability doesn't win you trophies or get you into Europe.

brog
25-04-2011, 09:27 AM

Are you serious? We'll be lucky to make 7th playing against the bottom 5 clubs, there would be no chance of better without the split.
Yams lose a lot more than us by the final derby not happening. I'm perfectly happy for us not to subsidise them yet again.
PS, why was the game on yesterday anyway? Can Edinburgh/Leith police not cobe with combined crowds of just over 20,000 on a Sat? If not, then stagger game times, say 2 & 4pm, total stupidity to play on Easter Sunday & why did our supposedly knowledgeable board not protest?

cabbageandribs1875
25-04-2011, 09:37 AM
did hibs reduce the prices(pay at the gate fans) for these end-of-season friendly's with hamilton and st.mirren ?

Albion Hibs
25-04-2011, 09:41 AM
The crowd numbers yesterday were terrible. Part of me is a bit reluctant to criticise as it is no doubt in part down to it being easter sunday....and yet another sodding sunday game.

I do however think that there is so much criticism of the team, about how they are not good enough for hibs, imposters and they should do one - as a support in my view we are miles worse than any player that has ever walked out for us this season.

AndersonGGTTH
25-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Should just give 10,000 free tickets away at the StJ' game and Dons game , not even joking !

Removed
25-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Should just give 10,000 free tickets away at the StJ' game and Dons game , not even joking !

I don't think we could give them away. Who would want them?

easty
25-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't think we could give them away. Who would want them?

I was offered a free ticket yesterday and turned it down. Was a bit undecided at first but glad after having heard about the game.

Really enjoyed a few bottles of Crabbies and watching Wengers lot get pumped from Bolton.

johnrebus
25-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I am normally positive with everything to do with Hibs and Scottish Football, but not anymore. It all seems so flat at he moment.

I intended to go the the Hamilton and St Mirren games as I have missed many matches through illness this season, but I baulked at paying £22 for what I reckoned would be akin to training matches. Do these players not realise that times are hard and that if people are going to turn up for these games, then they at least should put in 100% effort and do their best to put some entertainment on show? Aparently not.

For me the game really is on the road to ruin in this country, with the latest debacle concerning the Old Firm finally finishing it off.

Leaving the Neil Lennon and the parcel bombs thing aside for a moment. Why has it taken so long for the sectarianism thing to be everyones topic of discussion? It has been around since the days I grew up in a small central Scotland town in the late sixties and has never gone away. Yet it is really only when organisations like UEFA sit up and take notice that it begins to be taken seriously. To constantly hear that Rangers in particular have done everything they can to sort the problem is so wide of the mark it actually makes me feel sick that anyone could believe that.

Every football fan in this country outside of Rangers and Celtic is sick to the back teeth of the pair of them, to the extent that interest in the game is draining away - you only need to look at attendances recently through all four Divisions to see the evidence.

The best we can hope for is that the Old Firm eats itself, because there is no chance of them ever being accepted into the Premiership or anywhere else.

:grr:

marinello59
25-04-2011, 10:17 AM
did hibs reduce the prices(pay at the gate fans) for these end-of-season friendly's with hamilton and st.mirren ?

Why should they? It looks like a large number of Season ticket holders did not go yesterday, that's people who had already paid. It ain't about price, it's about watching poor meaningless games.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:28 AM

Yeah far better with 18 team league when the meaningless games can start in January

The split is the only ting that keeps the SPL alive.

Falkirk got relegated on the last day last year
4 out of the last 8 titles decide on the last day (maybe 5 out of 9)
Europe often decided on the last day

down the slope
25-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Yeah far better with 18 team league when the meaningless games can start in January

The split is the only ting that keeps the SPL alive.

Falkirk got relegated on the last day last year
4 out of the last 8 titles decide on the last day (maybe 5 out of 9)
Europe often decided on the last day

Could it nor be the fact that we have seen St mirren god knows how many times in the past few months ?. There would be no meaningless games if we were good , even if we were not challenging for a top position beating teams four or five nil would bring the fans back. In any size of league we will continue to get small crowds as we are crap.

Sammy7nil
25-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Could it nor be the fact that we have seen St mirren god knows how many times in the past few months ?. There would be no meaningless games if we were good , even if we were not challenging for a top position beating teams four or five nil would bring the fans back. In any size of league we will continue to get small crowds as we are crap.

Sorry have to disagree, when Hibs were in the 1st div the crowds were good and we hammered a lot of teams.

BUT

Sitting at ER on a bitterly cold day in February at 2 - 0 up against Stirling I was praying for the final whistle I had never been so bored at a game in my life and we were on a 20 game unbeaten run.

Success does not mean compettion or enjoyment

Bobby's Cinema
25-04-2011, 10:57 AM
The crowd numbers yesterday were terrible. Part of me is a bit reluctant to criticise as it is no doubt in part down to it being easter sunday....and yet another sodding sunday game.

I do however think that there is so much criticism of the team, about how they are not good enough for hibs, imposters and they should do one - as a support in my view we are miles worse than any player that has ever walked out for us this season.
I honestly cannot understand any Hibs supporter that shares that view, and there are many. Supporters are absolutely the last place any blame should be associated for anything thats went on this season. I can't get my head around that in the slightest

Vini1875
25-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I honestly cannot understand any Hibs supporter that shares that view, and there are many. Supporters are absolutely the last place any blame should be associated for anything thats went on this season. I can't get my head around that in the slightest

Agreed. The backing this team have had this season has been exceptional and totally undeserved. Even yesterday when we were attrocious all the anger was directed at the ref and a couple of St. Mirren players. The Hibs fans remained behind the team, who look like they have their bags packed for a holiday and are only waiting for a taxi to take them to the airport.

Purple & Green
25-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Lowest since Partick Thistle 2004, 5447. Gerry McCabe and Jim Clark were in Caretaker charge.

Frogga
25-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm sure we reached as low as 6,000 back at the end of Bobby's last full year in charge in a midweek game v Partick Thistle. I've got a bunch of newspaper clippings from that year and we were regularly getting crowds of around 7,500 for the 'B' games.

snooky
25-04-2011, 11:48 AM

I recall being at a Wednesday night game (against Airdrie?) in the days of Johnny Graham (69/70-ish) when there was about 7000. We won & went top of the league, IIRC.
Looooong time ago.

Brooster
25-04-2011, 12:17 PM
I was offered a free ticket yesterday and turned it down. Was a bit undecided at first but glad after having heard about the game.

Really enjoyed a few bottles of Crabbies and watching Wengers lot get pumped from Bolton.

ffs we now have folk bragging about not going to Easter road.

easty
25-04-2011, 12:32 PM
ffs we now have folk bragging about not going to Easter road.

:greengrin

sahib
25-04-2011, 12:41 PM

As minimum attendances go it has been as bad, or worse than that, in well over 40 seasons since 1954 ( quick glance at ihibs.co.uk). So not exceptional.

sahib
25-04-2011, 12:43 PM
:greengrin

Wipe that smirk off your face!:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
25-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Lowest since Partick Thistle 2004, 5447. Gerry McCabe and Jim Clark were in Caretaker charge.

Was that when Thomson done his knee for the 1st time?

Purple & Green
25-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Was that when Thomson done his knee for the 1st time?

It sure was:

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Partick-pounce-on-rudderless-Hibs.2526263.jp

easty
25-04-2011, 01:05 PM
It sure was:

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Partick-pounce-on-rudderless-Hibs.2526263.jp

I didn't know Calderwood was a potential manager back then...

Some, though, had alternative motives to be at Easter Road. With the match living up to its less-than-essential billing in the early stages there was at least intrigue to be had from inspecting those inhabiting the directors’ box. Sitting next to each other in one row were men-of-the-moment David Hay and Allan Preston, alongside former Scotland international and current Northampton Town manager Colin Calderwood. Hay, of course, has been linked with the vacant Hibs job, and the jungle drums have grown louder since his apparent ‘sacking’ by the preferred bidders for Livingston, led by Irish tycoon Pearse Flynn. Seated in another corner was the former Tottenham Hotspur and England assistant manager John Gorman, who has announced publicly his interest in the Easter Road job. Gudjon Thordason, the man Hibs wanted to steer the side until the end of the season, might have fled after only one match, but there were enough potential managerial candidates sitting in the stand above them to infuse the home players with a desire to perform.

moredun
25-04-2011, 01:25 PM

In a way it is, if we never had the split, we could still have a say in who wins the league

easty
25-04-2011, 01:30 PM
In a way it is, if we never had the split, we could still have a say in who wins the league

I don't care who wins the league, I would also hope the players only cared about us winning games. So that would still be nothing to play for.

moredun
25-04-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't care who wins the league, I would also hope the players only cared about us winning games. So that would still be nothing to play for.

I couldn't give a caber toss who wins the league either, but the fact that we could stop teams winning it at ER imo is something to play for for example, not to mention a derby, i am sure you would have an opinion on who wins that one

Hermit Crab
25-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Speaking of low crowds. Accies v Aberdeen on ESPN the now. I reckon theres not even a 1000 at the game. The ground is empty. Not that you can blame the fans for not going.

Incidently the lowest spl crowd was 431 Gretna v Inverness April 2008

Albion Hibs
25-04-2011, 03:42 PM

Agreed. The backing this team have had this season has been exceptional and totally undeserved. Even yesterday when we were attrocious all the anger was directed at the ref and a couple of St. Mirren players. The Hibs fans remained behind the team, who look like they have their bags packed for a holiday and are only waiting for a taxi to take them to the airport.

I suppose this is more of a case of opinions than other topics, however, I like us all was borne and raised a supporter of Hibernian Football Club, not individual players, or teams, and certainly not raised to be a better supporter when we are winning.

We do often like to sing about only being there to watch the hibs, the reality is at times it appears we are only there on mass to see Hibs playing the bigger teams.

NAE NOOKIE
25-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Cant really blame folk for not going yesterday. I for one would ( and do ) get a lot more bent out of shape about these things when we have something to play for and folk still dont go.

One thing I dont get is the fact that even though the fixtures are arranged at the start of the season football clubs, as far as I know, dont put tickets on sale months in advance.

E.G. If the date of the next derby at ER is known at the start of August why not start selling tickets to home supporters then rather than 3 weeks before kick off. Even if it didnt sell more tickets at least the money Hibs did collect would already be in the bank earning interest. Not much interest these days I admit.

Also, even if we were playing badly the team might get a better support on the day coz folk had already bought a ticket.

And finally ...... What exactly are Hibs doing to attract supporters. I dont mean sending leaflets to supporters on the database I mean getting the local population who dont go to football to come along for a look.

Even T.V. or Radio ads. Everybody on the planet knows who Coca Cola or McDonalds are, but it doesnt stop both of these companies spending hundreds of millions on T.V. and Radio ads ....... Why? .......... Because it works.

C'mon Hibs join the 21st century and be the first ( as we have been many times before ) to put an advert on the T.V. to attract new supporters.

:idea:

hibsbollah
25-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Speaking of low crowds. Accies v Aberdeen on ESPN the now. I reckon theres not even a 1000 at the game. The ground is empty. Not that you can blame the fans for not going.

Incidently the lowest spl crowd was 431 Gretna v Inverness April 2008

2142 according to beeb. Will include non-attending book holders i guess though.

hibee1994
25-04-2011, 07:22 PM
I was planning on being the 7239th man at ER for the game but wouldn't you know i got ill just half a bloody hour before the game.:violin: Was not a happy chappy listening to it on the bbc website's live commentary.:fuming:

Dashing Bob S
25-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Imitating the Yams tactics would be an admission of defeat.

Purple & Green
25-04-2011, 09:17 PM
2142 according to beeb. Will include non-attending book holders i guess though.

For a long time there has been suspicion about the Hamilton quoted figures as they always seem to be just over 2000.

son of haggart
25-04-2011, 09:19 PM
For a long time there has been suspicion about the Hamilton quoted figures as they always seem to be just over 2000.

Their ticketing software has the millenium bug:wink:

dangermouse
26-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Why should they? It looks like a large number of Season ticket holders did not go yesterday, that's people who had already paid. It ain't about price, it's about watching poor meaningless games.

If some erse hadn't scheduled it for Easter Sunday I'd have been there with my son. TV games and numpties that run the game giving little consideration to the paying public are killing the game.

Look at how small the Aberdeen support was yesterday. Had that been on a Saturday with a 3PM kick off (and Aberdeen had something to play for) the away end would have been sold out.

Liberal Hibby
26-04-2011, 09:13 AM
I thought 7k was pretty respectable. It was 2k higher than Utd v Killie in the top six which wasn't a 'dead' fixture

HIBERNIAN-0762
26-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Cant really blame folk for not going yesterday. I for one would ( and do ) get a lot more bent out of shape about these things when we have something to play for and folk still dont go.

One thing I dont get is the fact that even though the fixtures are arranged at the start of the season football clubs, as far as I know, dont put tickets on sale months in advance.

E.G. If the date of the next derby at ER is known at the start of August why not start selling tickets to home supporters then rather than 3 weeks before kick off. Even if it didnt sell more tickets at least the money Hibs did collect would already be in the bank earning interest. Not much interest these days I admit.

Also, even if we were playing badly the team might get a better support on the day coz folk had already bought a ticket.

And finally ...... What exactly are Hibs doing to attract supporters. I dont mean sending leaflets to supporters on the database I mean getting the local population who dont go to football to come along for a look.

Even T.V. or Radio ads. Everybody on the planet knows who Coca Cola or McDonalds are, but it doesnt stop both of these companies spending hundreds of millions on T.V. and Radio ads ....... Why? .......... Because it works.

C'mon Hibs join the 21st century and be the first ( as we have been many times before ) to put an advert on the T.V. to attract new supporters.

A great idea and with you 100% but we all know Hibs PR is shocking and unlikely to change in the near future

Steve-O
26-04-2011, 09:24 AM

:agree:

They should have tickets for ALL home games for sale online from the start of the season.

They can manage it in the A-League, so I'm sure the SPL can manage it.

KingFranck
26-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Lowest crowd of the season at Easter Road and I go to buy my kid chips at half time and the girl says there's none left :confused: Just as well a few people stayed away then or there would have been nought left!
So did those that did turn up decide half way through the first half the football's rubbish let's go and eat?
Message to Hibs - ask the caterers how many fans they reckoned would turn up cos they clearly thought it would be less than 7K

Hermit Crab
26-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Lowest crowd of the season at Easter Road and I go to buy my kid chips at half time and the girl says there's none left :confused: Just as well a few people stayed away then or there would have been nought left!
So did those that did turn up decide half way through the first half the football's rubbish let's go and eat?
Message to Hibs - ask the caterers how many fans they reckoned would turn up cos they clearly thought it would be less than 7K

Only one kiosk open in the west upper on Sun (same for 2 weeks in a row now). Also no diet juice at all. this was before kick off.

The_Todd
26-04-2011, 05:59 PM

The fixture list published at the start of the season is never the final version though, the TV companies start getting involved after that.