PDA

View Full Version : Question Could we make money having a shop in the city centre?

gegs70
22-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I was in JJBs in Princes Street last weekend, there was a number of tourists in the shop looking at Rangers and Celtic tops. I just thought we may be missing a trick by not having an outlet where tourists can purchase our clubs merchandise. It would incrase revenue? Increase possible publicity? Tourists may actually realise Scotland has other clubs in Scotland?

Any thoughts?

Mikey
22-04-2011, 09:15 PM
No.

Removed
22-04-2011, 09:16 PM
I was in JJBs in Princes Street last weekend, there was a number of tourists in the shop looking at Rangers and Celtic tops. I just thought we may be missing a trick by not having an outlet where tourists can purchase our clubs merchandise. It would incrase revenue? Increase possible publicity? Tourists may actually realise Scotland has other clubs in Scotland?

Any thoughts?

Did you hear any of them asking for Hibs tops?

gegs70
22-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I think they were discussing the fact they were in Edinburgh and Rangers played in Glasgow?

Removed
22-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I think they were discussing the fact they were in Edinburgh and Rangers played in Glasgow?

Truly shocked they weren't asking for yams tops after their recent Euro domination and their special relationship with the SC :agree:

iwasthere1972
22-04-2011, 09:25 PM

Was that while they were purchasing their Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal top?

The_Sauz
22-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Truly shocked they weren't asking for yams tops after their recent Euro domination and their special relationship with the SC :agree:
You forgot about the Royal Family :wink:

gegs70
22-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok perhaps not a shop but a tie up with another outlet. Its maybe not about the money but knowing that anyone can pick up a Hibs top whether its full price or reduced? Often now when a family go to a different country they like the idea of picking up one of that cities local football tops....

gegs70
22-04-2011, 09:34 PM
I think to be fair the Rangers and Celtic tops were heavily reduced in price, that may have helped.......Man Utd and Chelsea wre still around £20

JPrinty
22-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Used to think this was a good idea, not so sure now. I would use a city centre store more than the club shop as i'm from the west of Edinburgh.

gegs70
22-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Just makes me annoyed that Rangers and Celtic have monopolised every store up and down the country.....i would hate to think how many of these west coast team tops that get sold in Edinburgh!

Dr What If?
22-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Its not just about tourists, there is the odd Hibs fan that lives nowhere near Easter Road. Only time I find myself down that way is on a matchday and I must admit that isn't every game.
With no club store in the city centre there is no opportunity for random present buying. I do this all the time, I have a nephew in Austria and me being me I always leave present buy to the last minute. When ever I get him Hibs stuff he has been over the moon but all too often I can't get to the shop and have left it too late to buy online.

Mind you, would probably just get vandalised by Ned Jambos though at least we would have somewhere for future managers to shop before being offered the job completely by coincidence.

danhibees1875
22-04-2011, 11:49 PM
It would probabaly cost more money than it would make to have a store dedicated to selling only Hibs merchandise. Look at the Hearts shop in the St James centre - everytime I've walked past it there has been more staff than customers and like it or not they're a better supported team than us and thats all they can manage. :agree:

A simple deal where the likes of JJB/sports direct/ whatever sports shop sold our gear would be more appropriate however I remember reading something once a while ago as to why we didnt do this. Something to do with keeping the clubshop exclusive in that it was the ONLY place to purchase club merchandise(not quite sure how that works - unless its something to do with price and selling our stuff in other outlets would mean they would have to be competitively priced and as a result be cheaper than the clubstore currently sells things? ).

I dare say that if there is a way for Petrie and his marketing team to squeeze out an extra couple of pennies then they'll think of it soon enough. :greengrin

Removed
23-04-2011, 12:08 AM
It would probabaly cost more money than it would make to have a store dedicated to selling only Hibs merchandise. Look at the Hearts shop in the St James centre - everytime I've walked past it there has been more staff than customers and like it or not they're a better supported team than us and thats all they can manage. :agree:

A simple deal where the likes of JJB/sports direct/ whatever sports shop sold our gear would be more appropriate however I remember reading something once a while ago as to why we didnt do this. Something to do with keeping the clubshop exclusive in that it was the ONLY place to purchase club merchandise(not quite sure how that works - unless its something to do with price and selling our stuff in other outlets would mean they would have to be competitively priced and as a result be cheaper than the clubstore currently sells things? ).

I dare say that if there is a way for Petrie and his marketing team to squeeze out an extra couple of pennies then they'll think of it soon enough. :greengrin

It's not about squeezing pennies thought is it. A deal with JJB or whoever is just throwing profit away. And another shop, 1 shop, even if viable where would it be? Ocean terminal, St James Centre, Princes Street, The Gyle, Livingston?

But logically, with rent and staff costs it'll be six figures p.a. We can all do the the sums and you're right, it would cost more than it would make.

I think folk are kidding themselves if they think that there is an untapped tourist market looking to buy Hibs merchandise. The current shop and mail order setup makes sense to me.

Dashing Bob S
23-04-2011, 12:57 AM
We could make money running a shop in the city centre, particularly if we decided to sell something other than football merchandise.

No, seriously, its a good question. I know plenty people who visit a strange town and want to buy something from the local team.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-04-2011, 05:47 AM
If were concerned about selling tops does it needs to be a shop?

The answer is of course bullet proof Kiosks/vending machines installed around princes street shared by hearts and hibs sponsored by the council. Could also be used to purchase tickets.

A stall would even be sufficient no? Would tick the boxes exclusive cheaper to run

Ernie Cobra
23-04-2011, 07:46 AM
no

Frazerbob
23-04-2011, 07:57 AM
It's been said before but I think a Hibs, Hearts, SRU shop in town would do well. As well as a section each, why not sell English club & Scotland football gear. Having a ticket desk and stadium tours available would also encourage visitors to our city, of which there are thousands every week, to come along to games (of course the farcical restrictions on ticket buying would have to be reviewed).

There are plenty shops lying empty around Prince's Street, Rose Street, Waverley Market etc so why not take a short term lease, at reduced rates and give it a bash. Surely it's worth a try! The difficult part would be agreeing a joint deal with the other parties but surely the bigger picture is a benefit to all.

H18sry
23-04-2011, 08:26 AM
It's not about squeezing pennies thought is it. A deal with JJB or whoever is just throwing profit away. And another shop, 1 shop, even if viable where would it be? Ocean terminal, St James Centre, Princes Street, The Gyle, Livingston?

But logically, with rent and staff costs it'll be six figures p.a. We can all do the the sums and you're right, it would cost more than it would make.

I think folk are kidding themselves if they think that there is an untapped tourist market looking to buy Hibs merchandise. The current shop and mail order setup makes sense to me.

Whilst I agree a shop is not a viable option, a tie up with a city centre outlet makes perfect sense to me, give the shop 10% of any sales, that will not take any profit out of Hibs, it would raise our profile with visitors and the extra sales of merchandise, will negate the need for a big end of season sales where you can purchase goods for less than 25% of the recommended retail price.

Bobo
23-04-2011, 08:53 AM
It's a pity that the club couldn't have some sort of mobile shop (a bit like the Army recruitment caravans) that could be pitched up at different locations throughout the summer and festival periods.

It could be pitched up at Places like the Meadows, Bruntsfield links, the high Street etc as well as out of town in Livingston, Musselburgh, Dalkeith, Penicuik, Prestonpans etc.

Don't know how much the initial cost would be or how feasible it is but would expect that some sort of trading permit would be needed from the council?

Maybe the club have already looked at this sort of thing and found it too expensive/difficult to implement?

Bostonhibby
23-04-2011, 09:05 AM
You forgot about the Royal Family :wink:

:agree: And I don't see how you can leave out the VE Day commemorative tops, they won a war, don't you know?

danhibees1875
23-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Thats what I was saying, IF there was a way to get extra money petrie would have done it by now. Therefore, a shop isn't going to work in the eyes of the great one. :agree:

How Hearts still have theirs open is beyond me right enough! Would like to see that part of their accounts! :agree: Mind you, does anyone know how busy our shop is on non-match days?

Removed
23-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Thats what I was saying, IF there was a way to get extra money petrie would have done it by now. Therefore, a shop isn't going to work in the eyes of the great one. :agree:

Sorry I misunderstood your earlier post.

And merchandising has been under Fife Hyland's remit for the past few years so don't think anyone can blame/praise RP.

hibee1994
23-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Noticed the yams have a shop in dunfermline, i think it is. Must be the location of their 400,000 fans. They can't sell much though i wouldn't expect.

We arn't popular enough for a shop to be popular other than the club store but next season after we have won the treble we would be popular enough:aok:

cocopops1875
24-04-2011, 07:13 AM
It's a pity that the club couldn't have some sort of mobile shop (a bit like the Army recruitment caravans) that could be pitched up at different locations throughout the summer and festival periods.

It could be pitched up at Places like the Meadows, Bruntsfield links, the high Street etc as well as out of town in Livingston, Musselburgh, Dalkeith, Penicuik, Prestonpans etc.

Don't know how much the initial cost would be or how feasible it is but would expect that some sort of trading permit would be needed from the council?

Maybe the club have already looked at this sort of thing and found it too expensive/difficult to implement?

I go to the reading matches when down there, they have one of these outside the clubshop which they used to sell the clearance/sale stuff and was busy and helped keep the main shop less busy just depends if there is demand for it reading crowd is twice the size of ours

Antifa Hibs
24-04-2011, 07:46 AM
A shop in its own right, probably not. I done a bit research a while back for our company about a city centre outlet and you were looking at anything upto £100,000k per annum for a Hannover or Fredrick St outlet.

I am surprised though there is no presence at all in the city centre at anytime. I'm only up town 2-3 times a year, one of those at Xmas. Walking about looking and buying gifts always thinking it would be handy as **** if Hibs had a stall in say St James centre (or Jenners :greengrin ), if those daft calender club stalls and stalls that sell remote control helicopters and hand warmers can make a profit, surely Hibs could. Say 4 weeks at Xmas and 4 weeks during the festival. Something that sold calenders, scarfs, hats, hip flasks etc. After a days shopping in the hustle and bustle of Xmas Easter Road seems a million miles away, especially seeing as its 'out the way' of my house, and quite frankly the website is utterly horrendous. Their probably doing themselves out of £100-200 a year from me! (Some on here will no doubt see that as my fault though).

Shame that there is no signs of Hibernian anywhere in the city, well other than Leith. You could get off a train and walk past the JJB sports on Princess St that has a massive Rangers display on the front window, take a right and walk up Hannover Street and walk past a Celtic shop. You wouldn't even know Hibs and Hearts existed!!

Since90+2
24-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately to tourists Hibs may aswell not exist as they only ever seem to have heard of Celtic or Rangers (with the vast majority of them 'liking' Celtic).

Hermit Crab
24-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Its not just about tourists, there is the odd Hibs fan that lives nowhere near Easter Road. Only time I find myself down that way is on a matchday and I must admit that isn't every game.
With no club store in the city centre there is no opportunity for random present buying. I do this all the time, I have a nephew in Austria and me being me I always leave present buy to the last minute. When ever I get him Hibs stuff he has been over the moon but all too often I can't get to the shop and have left it too late to buy online.

Mind you, would probably just get vandalised by Ned Jambos though at least we would have somewhere for future managers to shop before being offered the job completely by coincidence.

Canny see that happening. We should open a shop next door to thiers just to pi ss them off :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
24-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Personally, I think the shop wouldn't do that well. After all the sort of people who want to wear cheesy clothes with their club's brand on it, are the sort of people who are happy to go out of their way to get them.

Online is the best way to sell club souvenier clothing iMO.

Hermit Crab
24-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Personally, I think the shop wouldn't do that well. After all the sort of people who want to wear cheesy clothes with their club's brand on it, are the sort of people who are happy to go out of their way to get them.

Not everybody has online access and i personally dont like buying things online. Prefer cash transactions. Just my opinion

Frazerbob
24-04-2011, 12:50 PM

My house is full of tat from other clubs bought whilst visiting various cities around the World. Nothing was bought online. All impulse buys as keep sakes of my trips.

Scouse Hibee
24-04-2011, 07:12 PM
A shop in its own right, probably not. I done a bit research a while back for our company about a city centre outlet and you were looking at anything upto £100,000k per annum for a Hannover or Fredrick St outlet.

I am surprised though there is no presence at all in the city centre at anytime. I'm only up town 2-3 times a year, one of those at Xmas. Walking about looking and buying gifts always thinking it would be handy as **** if Hibs had a stall in say St James centre (or Jenners :greengrin ), if those daft calender club stalls and stalls that sell remote control helicopters and hand warmers can make a profit, surely Hibs could. Say 4 weeks at Xmas and 4 weeks during the festival. Something that sold calenders, scarfs, hats, hip flasks etc. After a days shopping in the hustle and bustle of Xmas Easter Road seems a million miles away, especially seeing as its 'out the way' of my house, and quite frankly the website is utterly horrendous. Their probably doing themselves out of £100-200 a year from me! (Some on here will no doubt see that as my fault though).

Shame that there is no signs of Hibernian anywhere in the city, well other than Leith. You could get off a train and walk past the JJB sports on Princess St that has a massive Rangers display on the front window, take a right and walk up Hannover Street and walk past a Celtic shop. You wouldn't even know Hibs and Hearts existed!!

Hibs have done this before in Debenhams at Ocean Terminal.

Speedway
24-04-2011, 07:51 PM
And they didn't get a sniff.

sesoim
24-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Whilst I agree a shop is not a viable option, a tie up with a city centre outlet makes perfect sense to me, give the shop 10% of any sales, that will not take any profit out of Hibs, it would raise our profile with visitors and the extra sales of merchandise, will negate the need for a big end of season sales where you can purchase goods for less than 25% of the recommended retail price.

That is the vital thing here - if I go to a sports shop anywhere I can see lots of other SPL teams represented. Whether we are selling stuff or not, it still sends out a message that we are there - we exist. By not having stuff for sale there, some potential fans might be more drawn to another team who is there, buy a bit of merchandise and support that team therafter.

Hibee1
24-04-2011, 10:29 PM
I definately agree that something should be done to attract tourists/visitors. It's always good to get local football shirts when on holiday and to them we must seem invisible if not non-existant.

I know the Hearts shop is pretty much dead most of the time, but during the festival/hogmanay there are folk drifting in and out, buying momento's of their time in Edinburgh.

Personally I believe that having a stall in St James Centre around pre-season & Christmas times would be the most effective way of capitalising on visitors to the city.

Removed
24-04-2011, 10:34 PM
I definately agree that something should be done to attract tourists/visitors. It's always good to get local football shirts when on holiday and to them we must seem invisible if not non-existant.

I know the Hearts shop is pretty much dead most of the time, but during the festival/hogmanay there are folk drifting in and out, buying momento's of their time in Edinburgh.

Personally I believe that having a stall in St James Centre around pre-season & Christmas times would be the most effective way of capitalising on visitors to the city.

I've only ever thought about doing that once, but the prices at the Nou Camp shop :wink: were a joke.

And these momentos people buy in the yams shop. What are we talking about? Hearts crested toilet brush or commemorative champions league winners t shirt :dunno:

Phil D. Rolls
25-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Big team - shop. Wee team - stall. We bring it on ourselves. :greengrin

matty_f
25-04-2011, 11:12 AM
In the day and age of the internet and the increasing use of smart phones, paying out to get a town centre (where the footfall is falling thanks to out of town outlets) is insane.

With the best will in the world, the reality of the potential sales from tourists who might just impulse buy a top is minimal. We compete with the festival and a multitude of other attractions for the tourist money, and genuinely, the interest isn't there on a big enough scale as to warrant the spend on a town centre site.

Hibs have, and probably always will have, a very, very limited customer base. Our main custom comes from Edinburgh, and diminishes rapidly the further you get from the town. We don't even have the bulk of the Edinburgh demograph to sell to, as the West is traditionally Yams, while the East is Hibs.

As with most things, if someone really had an impulse to buy a Hibs top, it's about four clicks away on most modern phones. You don't even have to go into town to get it!

Danderhall Hibs
25-04-2011, 01:05 PM
As with most things, if someone really had an impulse to buy a Hibs top, it's about four clicks away on most modern phones. You don't even have to go into town to get it!

But how do you impulse buy something you can't see and/or don't know about?

matty_f
25-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Look on the internet and that, or see it on tv? See someone else with it on?

Scouse Hibee
25-04-2011, 02:10 PM

I don't really think you can. It's not as if there is a huge marketing campaign to promote merchandise outside the actual fan base. I'm sure the club have done their homework on this, I have always thought though that we are missing out on a market share by not having a presence in other outlets.

blairwallace
25-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Hibs have done this before in Debenhams at Ocean Terminal.

that was a temporary shop while the club store at ER was getting expanded, plus i wouldn't class ocean terminal as city centre

back to the question of if it would be a good idea of having on in the city centre I think yes. the city centre is always crammed full of tourist wanting to see Edinburgh and since football is the worlds most popular sport, lots of those tourists wouldn't mind buying a top of a local football team from where they visited.

also for fans at the other side of town it's easier. I live at the Corstorphine side of town and any time I want to go to the store I need to sit on a 22 for a good hour each way almost and since Edinburgh city centre is easy to get to its beneficial

Danderhall Hibs
25-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Look on the internet and that, or see it on tv? See someone else with it on?

:hilarious What would you look up? football strips in this area that I've seen advertised on the telly?

we don't advertise on TV either though do we?

Scouse Hibee
25-04-2011, 06:34 PM
that was a temporary shop while the club store at ER was getting expanded, plus i wouldn't class ocean terminal as city centre

back to the question of if it would be a good idea of having on in the city centre I think yes. the city centre is always crammed full of tourist wanting to see Edinburgh and since football is the worlds most popular sport, lots of those tourists wouldn't mind buying a top of a local football team from where they visited.

also for fans at the other side of town it's easier. I live at the Corstorphine side of town and any time I want to go to the store I need to sit on a 22 for a good hour each way almost and since Edinburgh city centre is easy to get to its beneficial

Yes I know it was a temporary shop, however it was there in a shopping centre that gets plenty of tourist traffice due to the Royal yacht. If it had been that successful then surely Hibs would have taken notice and looked to continue an outlet of some sort. Get the 26 to Easter Road in future it will save you making your way to the 22 route which doesn't run through Corstorphine.:greengrin

matty_f
25-04-2011, 07:58 PM
:hilarious What would you look up? football strips in this area that I've seen advertised on the telly?

we don't advertise on TV either though do we?

I watched the highlights of the game yesterday on the internet, guess what the players were wearing...

And, the week before, on Sky, the players were wearing the strips as well. Crazy, I know!:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
25-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I watched the highlights of the game yesterday on the internet, guess what the players were wearing...

And, the week before, on Sky, the players were wearing the strips as well. Crazy, I know!:greengrin

We were talking about tourists and that weren't we?

matty_f
25-04-2011, 08:24 PM
We were talking about tourists and that weren't we?

Don't think I specified, but tourists go into pubs, which often show games on Sky. I thought the discussion was for anyone wanting to make an impulse buy, including but not exclusively tourists.

blairwallace
25-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Yes I know it was a temporary shop, however it was there in a shopping centre that gets plenty of tourist traffice due to the Royal yacht. If it had been that successful then surely Hibs would have taken notice and looked to continue an outlet of some sort. Get the 26 to Easter Road in future it will save you making your way to the 22 route which doesn't run through Corstorphine.:greengrin

very true actually, although i don't actually live in corstorphine i live on the same side of town as it and the 22 runs closer, either way its still a miserable trek all the way through town on a 26 or a 22 if I was ever just wanting a top for example

Septimus
26-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Sadly since the advent of tumble driers the demand for clothes pegs has fallen considerably. We do have a cottage industry producing players for sale to the OF.

Seriously a team which was doing well could probably support a merchandise outlet but a team bouncing along from catastrophe to imagined success? I don't think so.

H18sry
26-04-2011, 06:28 AM
On my travels I have visited hundreds of cities and in the majority of these cities the local teams[not just football, but basketball ice hockey or whatever the major sport is] have merchandise outlets in the city centre which attracts the tourist pounds, I definatley think Hibs are missing a trick here :agree:

hibbymark
26-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Sports shops in general cant afford city centre rents and rates anymore with the exception of the huge ones like jjb sports etc who are as a company are losing money hand over fist. Staff costs,rent,rates etc and not huge margins wouldnt work for us. How many strips per day would a city centre Hibs shop have sold every day in the last 6 weeks for example?

H18sry
26-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Sports shops in general cant afford city centre rents and rates anymore with the exception of the huge ones like jjb sports etc who are as a company are losing money hand over fist. Staff costs,rent,rates etc and not huge margins wouldnt work for us. How many strips per day would a city centre Hibs shop have sold every day in the last 6 weeks for example?

Nobody is advocating a shop, but an outlet be it a mobile unit that can get rolled out at busy times in the city, or rent shop space in an existing sports shop,or even just lift the embargo that we have over our own selling rights and spread the word :agree:

dangermouse
26-04-2011, 07:33 AM

Any thoughts?

IIRC Hearts had a corner of Top Man on Princes Street some years ago to sell their merchandise. I also recall a Hibs supporting friend of mine writing to the shop to complain about said corner of Yamnonsense as it was unfair on Hibernian and he would be boycotting all Top Man shops (not a bad idea really :greengrin). I'm sure if we tied up some similar deal the Yams would be revolting.

Viva_Palmeiras
26-04-2011, 12:15 PM
So we go through JJB Sports.
Too much noise that Hibs get lost under. They determine the layout and prominence of the merchandise and worse still if they determine costs.
You basically trash the Clubs sales and profits - its all potentially at the whim of the retailer.

As mentioned elsewhere we look at the market. If anything we need to ensure that our fanbase have easy access to buying merchandise. Everyone knows where ER is some even go on a regular basis. For those that cant there are a number of options the catalog - so mail order (I think), phone or internet - heck you might even be able to fax!

So what were talking about is the off chance that some footie connoseur (sp?) sashaying about town swans in to JJB and ignores the heavily marketed stuff and says "no I said I'll have a babysham ... and do you have a Hibs top in a medium?"

Few and far between methinks. And then its a one hit wonder no?

No far better to reach out and track the customer base we do have. Understand their likes and dislikes and service their needs.

Aquisition and retention costs are the ones to watchout for many businesses in the leaner times concentrate on their core and new core customers. I just dont see a festival goer as falling into these so will consequently get little/no investment when inverstment needs to show some sort of return.

Speedway
26-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Nobody is advocating a shop, but an outlet be it a mobile unit that can get rolled out at busy times in the city, or rent shop space in an existing sports shop,or even just lift the embargo that we have over our own selling rights and spread the word :agree:

Like a caravan, perhaps?

Removed
26-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Like a caravan, perhaps?

It could double up as an ice cream van in the summer for the tourist trade :thumbsup:

H18sry
26-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Like a caravan, perhaps?

Not quite as subtle as a peg sellers dwelling, but a stall type thingy that the have at the Gyle, you see them when you are abroad in city centre's :agree:

gegs70
26-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Everyone i think is thinking revenue for the club, but is it all just money? How about accessability. I remember that I used to go to Thomson sport in Junction street to buy my first Hibs merchandise, I didnt necessarily go to easter road to buy the merchandise. The point is that perhaps that made me want to support hibs, perhaps the point is not just making a profit but having some sort of city centre outlet that makes kids want to be hibs supporters after all you cannot always rely on parents.

internet and TV is good....but tv coverage for hibs games comes on later and therefore is not prime time coverage......internet is ok but some people need to have been pointed in certain websites direction and postage for shopping at ER is not exactly free postage. I think we need more edinburgh coverage it is good advertisement and also shows signs of growth and encouraging youngsters to buy the top even if they do pick it up for a tenner in the sales each top sold and worn is an advertisement for th club wherever it is worn!

matty_f
26-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Everyone i think is thinking revenue for the club, but is it all just money? How about accessability. I remember that I used to go to Thomson sport in Junction street to buy my first Hibs merchandise, I didnt necessarily go to easter road to buy the merchandise. The point is that perhaps that made me want to support hibs, perhaps the point is not just making a profit but having some sort of city centre outlet that makes kids want to be hibs supporters after all you cannot always rely on parents.

internet and TV is good....but tv coverage for hibs games comes on later and therefore is not prime time coverage......internet is ok but some people need to have been pointed in certain websites direction and postage for shopping at ER is not exactly free postage. I think we need more edinburgh coverage it is good advertisement and also shows signs of growth and encouraging youngsters to buy the top even if they do pick it up for a tenner in the sales each top sold and worn is an advertisement for th club wherever it is worn!

I'd rather we didn't waste money on loss making outlets and instead put that money into the team, to be honest. We have a store that trades well enough, add in the ability to buy online and we really, really don't need to be doing more, IMHO.

gegs70
26-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Sometimes the club wastes money in more ways than just trying to expand the brand and advertisment. Some money spent on players was a wasted continuously? Does that mean we should not sign them?

Peevemor
27-04-2011, 12:30 AM
I liked the shop when it was in/under the old main stand.

A couple of different styles of scarf, 2 or 3 sew on patches, a wide choice of Harry Gilzean badges and a good chance that one or two of the first team would be in having a blether with whoever was behind the counter. :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
27-04-2011, 07:06 PM
It's threads like this that make me fear any fan takeover of the club. IMO, it's best to leave retailing and marketing to people who know what they are doing.

Removed
27-04-2011, 07:16 PM
It's threads like this that make me fear any fan takeover of the club. IMO, it's best to leave retailing and marketing to people who know what they are doing.

:agree: Real Madrid and Barcelona are owned by the supporters and they're both nearly £300m in the red. Imagine some of the posters on here having any influence in the running of the club :worried:

Hibhibhooray
27-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Having had some involvment in opening retail outlets, I think a stand alone outlet in that part of town would simply not make money. After the initial costs for fixtures and fittings, you would have rates to pay. Then you would have costs for staff training, manpower etc to meet even before the shop had been opened.

The range would have to be increased & changed more regularly to encourage return custom, anything reduced in price comes out the profit of the business.

Some businesses have a business plan which do not make any money for 2 or 3 years. Could any business afford this espically right now in the current climate.

Prior to any business opening new outlets, the product has to be right for the enviroment. New outlets all simply not being opened due to all these costs.

I would predict that any football outlet in any city centre would/ will not return any profit but would be an unacceptable gamble in trying to raise the profile of a brand. In my humble opinion :wink: