PDA

View Full Version : NHC Modern day footballers

JimBHibees
22-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Had the pleasure of a short trip with the family to Liverpool, very nice indeed. My son likes Liverpool so we did the Anfield tour and as it happens the apartment we were staying in overlooked their training pitch. My son was told by the owner of the apartment that he could get autographs if he waited at the complex gate. Being a keen 9 year old he dragged us down before and after training one day to try and get signatures. There was a small group (20 or so) of mainly young fans waiting apart from one player not one of the superstars deigned to brighten the kids day with stopping and signing as they drove past in their massive motors.

Pretty sad indictment to be honest, the one player Joe Cole that stopped it took him only about 5 - 10 mins of his day. Bearing in mind that there was 2 security guys to control what was a very small crowd this seemed very poor indeed. Given that they only trained for just over an hour pretty poor more of them didnt appear to give one.

Is this par for the course as this isnt something I have ever done before?

iwasthere1972
22-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Had the pleasure of a short trip with the family to Liverpool, very nice indeed. My son likes Liverpool so we did the Anfield tour and as it happens the apartment we were staying in overlooked their training pitch. My son was told by the owner of the apartment that he could get autographs if he waited at the complex gate. Being a keen 9 year old he dragged us down before and after training one day to try and get signatures. There was a small group (20 or so) of mainly young fans waiting apart from one player not one of the superstars deigned to brighten the kids day with stopping and signing as they drove past in their massive motors.

Pretty sad indictment to be honest, the one player Joe Cole that stopped it took him only about 5 - 10 mins of his day. Bearing in mind that there was 2 security guys to control what was a very small crowd this seemed very poor indeed. Given that they only trained for just over an hour pretty poor more of them didnt appear to give one.

Is this par for the course as this isnt something I have ever done before?

i know what you're saying but are they expected to do this every day?

CallumLaidlaw
22-04-2011, 07:59 PM
i know what you're saying but are they expected to do this every day?

10 mins a day to give something back to the fans that pay towards your wages? Not too much to ask really

iwasthere1972
22-04-2011, 08:06 PM
10 mins a day to give something back to the fans that pay towards your wages? Not too much to ask really

Well I suppose if it was once or twice a week then they should. On the other hand if it's every day I can imagine that Gerrard and co would be thinking "Sod that I'll just drive past and hope they didn't see me. Anyway Joe will be along in a minute and he'll sign anything"

On another day who knows, they may have all stopped and signed autographs.

itchy07
22-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Not all modern day players should be tarred with the same brush. I refer to the story on this site regarding our own Jimmy Scott stopping his car to chat to a fan and then giving him a lift down the road. Perhaps it's only when you earn a couple of mill that you turn into an :asshole:

Jack
22-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Shame. Their excuse might be they've been told not to stop, it could become too popular and get out of hand? Do other 'mega' have the same policy?

JimBHibees
22-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Well I suppose if it was once or twice a week then they should. On the other hand if it's every d
ay I can imagine that Gerrard and co would be thinking "Sod that I'll just drive past and hope they didn't see me. Anyway Joe will be along in a minute and he'll sign anything"

On another day who knows, they may have all stopped and signed autographs.

Hear what you are saying however this was a very small crowd and wouldnt have taken much effort to give something back Maybe the club should designate 2 or 3 a day, spoke to the security guy and there didnt appear to be any logic just depended on the mood. Not great for young kids to see this and think the players should appreciate this more.

ArabHibee
23-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Someone on my Facebook was down at Tottenham recently and he posted loads of photos of his laddie posing for photos outside the ground with players from the team and the manager. And this was before the game. Maybe Liverpool players are a bunch of erchies.