PDA

View Full Version : Alan O'Brien - Contract Cancelled By Mutual Consent

Gala Foxes
22-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Contract with Swindon Town cancelled by mutual respect - no doubt he will slope in to another un-suspecting employer who is under the misapprehension that he is a pacy committed winger who will give 100% week in week out and torment opposition defences.

Am amazed he could be bothered to lift the pen to cancel the contract

marinello59
22-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Contract with Swindon Town cancelled by mutual respect - no doubt he will slope in to another un-suspecting employer who is under the misapprehension that he is a pacy committed winger who will give 100% week in week out and torment opposition defences.

It didn't work out for him, why so bitter? :confused:

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2011, 02:38 PM

Although not directly his fault he signed for us, some of his performances were so inept, it was embarrassing to watch. And when Collins sold Sproule and brought him in as a replacement albeit on the other side, it does leave a bitter taste for me.

Wheat Hound
22-04-2011, 02:45 PM
He'll be back to haunt us Though.

Broken Gnome
22-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Did someone say we needed pace in the team???

easty
22-04-2011, 02:51 PM
He'll be back to haunt us Though.

The only way that'll happen is if he dies in some horrible accident while he's at Easter Road to watch a game, then he walks the stadium as a ghost forever more (or at least until Whoopi Goldberg somehow gets involved).

just_joe
22-04-2011, 02:52 PM

What amazes me mate is that his career has slumped to this. IIRC Newcastle rated him highly and wanted to keep him ? I remember being excited when he first signed. Me and my mates talking about how good he will be - wow we were wrong! The way his career is going he will be going back home to Ireland playing in his local pub league. Shame really as early in his career he seemed like a player who had so much promise.

Bostonhibby
22-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Did someone say we needed pace in the team???

:agree: definitely, but it has to be with a ball.

Wheat Hound
22-04-2011, 03:01 PM
The only way that'll happen is if he dies in some horrible accident while he's at Easter Road to watch a game, then he walks the stadium as a ghost forever more (or at least until Whoopi Goldberg somehow gets involved).

Like Patrick Schwaze (sp?) on a motorbike.

Speedway
22-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Like Patrick Schwaze (sp?) on a motorbike.

Sort your spelling out. It's Patrick Sauzee.

Wheat Hound
22-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Sort your spelling out. It's Patrick Sauzee.

Not Franck Drebin then?

IWasThere2016
22-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Imposter.

Maybe no74 will sign him :greengrin

sahib
22-04-2011, 05:41 PM
IIRC Newcastle rated him highly and wanted to keep him ?

:rotflmao:
Not that old chestnut. If true , why don't we poach a few more of the players they want to keep.

Lago
22-04-2011, 06:27 PM

What is this obsession that certain people have with ex hibs players, O'Brien, Thomson, Bamba etc they are EX players they left get over it. I moved job many times as do most folk so what.

WindyMiller
22-04-2011, 06:32 PM
What amazes me mate is that his career has slumped to this. IIRC Newcastle rated him highly and wanted to keep him ? I remember being excited when he first signed. Me and my mates talking about how good he will be - wow we were wrong! The way his career is going he will be going back home to Ireland playing in his local pub league. Shame really as early in his career he seemed like a player who had so much promise.

I've been working for 41 years and I wouldn't be surprise if AOB has more in the bank than me.

JimBHibees
22-04-2011, 07:34 PM
:rotflmao:
Not that old chestnut. If true , why don't we poach a few more of the players they want to keep.

Yep Lee Clark came out with something like that at the time didnt see him buying him for Huddersfield. Truly awful player.

I asked a mate who is a Newcastle season ticket holder at the time what he thought of him, 'headless chicken' was his response. He wasnt wrong.

KeithTheHibby
22-04-2011, 07:51 PM
He may have had some ability as he did show that in flashes however he had no heart or balls to be a professional footballer.

Removed
22-04-2011, 08:21 PM
I think some folk need to move on :rolleyes:

The Falcon
22-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Yep Lee Clark came out with something like that at the time didnt see him buying him for Huddersfield. Truly awful player.

I asked a mate who is a Newcastle season ticket holder at the time what he thought of him, 'headless chicken' was his response. He wasnt wrong.

Yet both Tommy Craig and John Collins rated him very highly. Was a full internationalist when he joined us and cost a pretty penny in compensation. Ticked all the boxes but it wasnt to be. Sorry that it's not worked out at Swindon for the man either.

Gala Foxes
22-04-2011, 09:30 PM

take it from your reply that you never had the misfortune of watching him "play" at Easter Road?

Removed
22-04-2011, 09:31 PM
take it from your reply that you never had the misfortune of watching him "play" at Easter Road?

:yawn: let it go mate

Albion Hibs
22-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Exactly.

I dont know why some people hold such resentment to the guy. From what I understand he did have ability, however, hugely lacked confidence as a player - on that basis Hibs / our fans is never going to be the right place to be.

From what I recall, he moved on quietly, never had a bad thing to say about the club, or the fans, so why take it out on him?

At the end of the day he did not ask to come to hibs, we wanted him, we asked him to sign a contract, and we offered to pay him wages. So to resent him for being at hibs is a farce IMO.

seanraff07
22-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Maybe, just maybe, I'll have to dig out the old O'Brien 11 home top again :greengrin

BoltonHibee
23-04-2011, 01:01 AM
Imposter.

:)

H18Y GW
23-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Exactly.

I dont know why some people hold such resentment to the guy. From what I understand he did have ability, however, hugely lacked confidence as a player - on that basis Hibs / our fans is never going to be the right place to be.

From what I recall, he moved on quietly, never had a bad thing to say about the club, or the fans, so why take it out on him?

At the end of the day he did not ask to come to hibs, we wanted him, we asked him to sign a contract, and we offered to pay him wages. So to resent him for being at hibs is a farce IMO.

Best post on the thread :-)

Houchy
23-04-2011, 08:48 AM

This:agree:

Some people don't seem to have anything else to float their boat than keep check of how bad our ex players are doing and revelling when it goes wrong at their future clubs.

Personally, any player that leaves ER (especially if it's not working out, and both parties feel it's for the best) does so with my best regards:agree:

Ed De Gramo
23-04-2011, 11:39 AM

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

Give it a rest.

and yes I have seen him play before you come back with that reply.

It didn't work out for him...he was moved on....maybe you should to!

The Falcon
23-04-2011, 06:27 PM
This:agree:

Some people don't seem to have anything else to float their boat than keep check of how bad our ex players are doing and revelling when it goes wrong at their future clubs.

Personally, any player that leaves ER (especially if it's not working out, and both parties feel it's for the best) does so with my best regards:agree:

Exactly. As said earlier AOB could have complained, blamed everyone and everything and generally bitched but he didnt. He left quietly and didnt have a bad a word to say about the club or it's fans. Many other's in his position would have, and would have had grounds to.

I too wish the man all the best, as I do everyone who leaves the club in a dignified manner, and am genuinely dissapointed it didnt work out for him at Swindon.

hibsfan123
23-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Alan O"Brian was a very fast player

if he had impresed a wee bit more mebe could have got a move to the championship?

and i think that moaning aboutplayers who werent good enough to impress is a wee bit wrong we cant judge them if we were any better we would be playing there right now

Andy74
23-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Imposter.

Maybe. Plenty to do round the house. Wages might be a problem though?

iwasthere1972
23-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Alan O"Brian was a very fast player

if he had impresed a wee bit more mebe could have got a move to the championship?

and i think that moaning aboutplayers who werent good enough to impress is a wee bit wrong we cant judge them if we were any better we would be playing there right now

:rolleyes:

FastEddieFelson
23-04-2011, 08:18 PM
he got assists in wins against hearts and celtic. set up steven fletcher against barcelona too. he missed, but.

ArabHibee
24-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Exactly. As said earlier AOB could have complained, blamed everyone and everything and generally bitched but he didnt. He left quietly and didnt have a bad a word to say about the club or it's fans. Many other's in his position would have, and would have had grounds to.

I too wish the man all the best, as I do everyone who leaves the club in a dignified manner, and am genuinely dissapointed it didnt work out for him at Swindon.
On what grounds would he have had bad words to say about the club? :dunno:

Kaiser1962
24-04-2011, 09:18 AM
On what grounds would he have had bad words to say about the club? :dunno:

He was carrying an injury for quite a while and could easily have blamed that, or being asked to play while not quite 100% fit, that sort of thing. Excuses rather than grounds with the club.

Although some of the shouts he got from supporters were absolutely disgraceful. Similar to booing Nish or Miller or Rankin. Some of the treatment dished out over the years makes me ashamed.