PDA

View Full Version : CC Breaks With Nearly 30 Years of Tradition

Speedway
22-04-2011, 02:17 PM
I was thinking back to when Pat Stanton took over the manager's hot seat from Bertie Young.

That was season 82-83 as I recall. Pat was an up and coming young manager and one of the Hibs Legends of all time.

He was replaced by John Blackley, an up and coming young manager who was a legend at the club.

He was replaced by Alex Miller. An up and coming young manager who had taken his St Mirren side to a Scottish Cup Final.

He was replaced by Jim Duffy (I don't count the teckled one) An up and coming young manager in the Scottish game.

He was replaced by Alex McLeish, an up and coming young manager who'd done well with Motherwell.

He was replaced by Franck Sauzee. An up and coming manager and club legend being given his first managerial role.

He was replaced by Robert Williamson. An up and coming young manager who had taken his Kilmarnock side to a cup final.

He was replaced by Tony Mowbray. An up and coming manager and former Celtic captain being given his first managerial role.

He was replaced by John Collins. An up and coming young manager and former Hibs player being given his first managerial role.

He was replaced by Mixu. An up and coming young manager and former Hibs player who had taken his TPS Turku side into Europe.

He was replaced by John Hughes. An up and coming young manager and former Hibs player whose stock was in the ascendency after he took his Falkirk team to the Scottish Cup Final.

He was replaced by Colin Calderwood. A Manager that had never played professional football in Scotland, never been connected to Hibs or any other SPL side. Had represented Scotland as a first choice CH in the world's biggest football tournament. Never taken a smaller Scottish side to a Scottish Cup Final. Had already taken a team larger than Hibs to promotion. Was already assistant managing in the biggest league in the world. Had not applied for the job this time and took a six figure sum to acquire.

I wonder if the Hibs board looked back on history whilst they took their time in appointing Yogi's successor?

Dan Sarf
22-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Great observation. :top marks

I wonder what other long-standing traditions are about to bite the dust? :devil:

BroxburnHibee
22-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Is there any need for the coco the clown jibe.

Great post apart from that

iwasthere1972
22-04-2011, 02:37 PM

:agree: Aye leave Coco the Clown out of it. What's he done to Hibs.

Wilson
22-04-2011, 02:37 PM

I don't imagine the real Coco would be flattered by the comparison either.

Purehibee_MYB
22-04-2011, 02:39 PM
I seem to remember Rod or someone mentioning that Hibs were looking to change the way they hire managers when looking for a new manager, mentioning something to do with managers not affiliated with Hibs...could just have been all a dream though

Vini1875
22-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Bobby Williamson was not an up coming young manager. If you consider him such then CC would have to be continuation of the theme. Even John Hughes as he was the same age as CC when Hibs manager.

Wheat Hound
22-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Derek Adams does fit in with this pattern though and he is thought likely to be CC' s eventual successor.

WhileTheChief..
22-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Did Rod Petrie not say at some point that we would only ever hire someone where the Hibs' job would be their biggest they had had?

I might just have read that on here before though.

Looking back at that list though many of them were obvious choices at the time. I'm pleased that they took a bit longer and went for someone differrent this time around.

sambajustice
22-04-2011, 02:49 PM
What about jockey scott? And I wouldn't exactly call blobby or hughes up and coming!! Hughes was at falkirk for about 5 years was he not?

Hibs Class
22-04-2011, 02:54 PM

:agree: Agree with both points.

Part/Time Supporter
22-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Bobby Williamson was not an up coming young manager. If you consider him such then CC would have to be continuation of the theme. Even John Hughes as he was the same age as CC when Hibs manager.

Bobby had won the Scottish Cup and qualified for Europe 3/4 times with Killie in his first five years as a manager.

I wonder what would meet your definition of "up and coming young manager" if that doesn't.

:confused:

Speedway
22-04-2011, 04:11 PM

Both had expereince of only managing one club before coming to Hibs. Hibs is CC's fourth including Newcastle.

The Coco jibe is uneccessary.

sambajustice
22-04-2011, 04:23 PM
:agree: Aye leave Coco the Clown out of it. What's he done to Hibs.

Dunno, only "fitba people wid ken" the answer to that one!

IWasThere2016
22-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Dunno, only "fitba people wid ken" the answer to that one!

I cannae see the reference - although it was made with Yogi in mind?

Vini1875
22-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Bobby had won the Scottish Cup and qualified for Europe 3/4 times with Killie in his first five years as a manager.

I wonder what would meet your definition of "up and coming young manager" if that doesn't.

:confused:

I didn't mean he was not on the rise. I meant he was experienced prior to Hibs. I would have said the same about John Hughes in that he was experienced.

Speedy
22-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure I'd call Collins, Hughes, Sauzee or Mowbray up and coming managers. Maybe just a difference in definition. Collins, Mowbray and Sauzee were more inexperienced than up and coming while Hughes wasn't really advancing in a way that would suggest he was up and coming imo.

sahib
22-04-2011, 05:34 PM
"Had not applied for the job this time and took a six figure sum to acquire."

Blimey!
Hiring managers can't be easy, but dearie me.