PDA

View Full Version : League reconstruction

MyJo
21-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Just been reading about the proposals for an utterly pointless 10 team league and how the SFA aren't getting thier own way in forcing this through and it got me wondering about how to make the league better and i came up with the idea of maintaining a 12 team SPL and keeping the top 6 / bottom 6 split but rejigging the format.

Have a round of 22 games which would see each team in the league play every other team once at home and once away and then split the league into SPL1 (top 6) SPL2 (bottom 6) and have another round of 10 games within the mini-leagues but with every team starting again from scratch on zero points. SPL1 play for the league championship and european places while SPL2 play to decide who is relegated with the bottom 2 teams dropping out to be replaced by top 2 in first division.

Keeps the spread of money between clubs the same as there is no increase to the numbers in the SPL. Keeps the 4 old firm matches a season the SFA, SPL and TV companies want. Every team get an equal and fair number of home and away games. Would bring some excitement back to the league if every team in the top 6 has a chance to win the league or get into champions league with 10 games to play and vice versa with the teams in the bottom 6 all fighting to avoid relegation until the bitter end rather than giving up halfway through the season. Brings the overall number of games a season down to 32 allowing a winter break to be introduced or (IMO a better option)summer football with a more compact season and the flexibility to suspend the league for 3 or 4 weeks during world cups/euro champs.

Have 3 12 team leagues operating to this format and regionalise everything below that in a pyramid system that allows free movement between leagues from top to bottom and merge the SPL, SFL and SFA into 1 governing body for all aspects of scottish football (headed up by P-rod :greengrin) and i think we'd be onto a winner folks..........but hey i probably dont get paid enough to come up with these ideas!!!

Sammy7nil
21-04-2011, 07:27 PM
stay off the drink :wink::wink:

Look at Inverness for example after a great start would they want to start again from scratch when players are tired, injured or their form has gone,

No Chance back to the sherry I think :wink::wink:

ancient hibee
22-04-2011, 05:58 PM
No need to blame the SFA-nothing to do with them.

sahib
22-04-2011, 06:31 PM
I propose eight leagues of five teams with promotion and relegation every four weeks. Each league would contain one seeded team. Then lots would be drawn to arbitrarily assign the leagues their designation as top div, second div etc. before the start of the season. What a fun season that would be