PDA

View Full Version : Steven Thicot - deal or no deal?

The Sea-gull
21-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Haven't seen it anywhere - has he been released?

His name never comes up in the media alongside Rankin, Nish, McBride et al when the players definitely leaving are mentioned.

He never seems to feature on the list of players who are out of contract but he surely must be one of them?

Is he injured just now?

RickyS
21-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Haven't seen it anywhere - has he been released?

His name never comes up in the media alongside Rankin, Nish, McBride et al when the players definitely leaving are mentioned.

He never seems to feature on the list of players who are out of contract but he surely must be one of them?

Is he injured just now?

maybe he is hiding and hoping for the best:wink:

easty
21-04-2011, 02:49 PM
maybe he is hiding and hoping for the best:wink:

A bit like when he's on the pitch then?

easty
21-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I'd be amazed if CC is even entertaining the idea of giving Thicot a new deal. Get rid of him. Total passenger. Total waste of a jersey.

Beefster
21-04-2011, 02:58 PM
No, no, no, no, no.

Sir David Gray
21-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I would be astonished if Steven Thicot is a Hibs player next season.

He hasn't played a first team match for 3 months and I don't see that changing any time soon.

The Sea-gull
21-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Seems he has been forgotten about so much that he doesn't even rate a mention when it comes to discussions on out of contract players be it here or in the media.

FWIW I'd bin him and am actually surprised he has lasted so long.

That's what happens when a player is contracted and nobody wants to sign them.

.Sean.
21-04-2011, 03:37 PM
One of Mixu's poorest decisions was handing Thicot a three year deal. A thanks but no thanks from myself.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Seems he has been forgotten about so much that he doesn't even rate a mention when it comes to discussions on out of contract players be it here or in the media.

FWIW I'd bin him and am actually surprised he has lasted so long.

That's what happens when a player is contracted and nobody wants to sign them.

Just not true.

Thicot had a couple of offers from Spain a while back but turned down the chance to go on trial with a view to signing in order to fight for his place at Hibs.

This isn't just some rumour i have heard either it was reported in the press and confirmed by Hibs and the player.

Andy74
21-04-2011, 03:49 PM
As his background suggests he is a good footballer but never suited to the SPL. He likes too much time.

I thought he would pick up the pace and become a decent player for us but that's never really happened.

I don't think he deserves some of the stick about being a passenger or a waster of a jersey though.

Had some highlights when played at centre half like the win at Tynecastle but I don't think a new deal would be best thing for anyone.

Stevie Reid
21-04-2011, 03:52 PM
As his background suggests he is a good footballer but never suited to the SPL. He likes too much time.

I thought he would pick up the pace and become a decent player for us but that's never really happened.

I don't think he deserves some of the stick about being a passenger or a waster of a jersey though.

Had some highlights when played at centre half like the win at Tynecastle but I don't think a new deal would be best thing for anyone.

Would agree with this, had his moments, but it's time to go.

Who knows how things may have turned out had he not got injured 20 mins into his debut at Killie?

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-04-2011, 04:00 PM
If it is a proper clearout then players like Thicot really need to move on. Well past the time by which he should have proved himself by.:agree:

Dirkster23
21-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Would agree with that Andy.

There's a decent player in there but he's just not suited to the pace and physical side of the Scottish game. Hopefully he'll find himself a team on the continent and get his career back on track.

Speedway
21-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Still think the boy could be a defensive midfielder and he's still the subject of the funniest post I ever read on here.

EasterRoad4Ever
21-04-2011, 07:42 PM
If ever a player summed up the last 3 seasons of underperformance (despite our 4th place finish), it is Thicot. Simply no where near good enough for Hibs. Would struggle to get a game for ANY spl club - and it shows just how far we've fallen that this guy is still at the club. A poor poor signing who I'll always remember as a super sub for the opposition - guaranteed to give them a pen when they most need it. CC needs to set standards - Get rid.

Since90+2
21-04-2011, 08:30 PM
If ever a player summed up the last 3 seasons of underperformance (despite our 4th place finish), it is Thicot. Simply no where near good enough for Hibs. Would struggle to get a game for ANY spl club - and it shows just how far we've fallen that this guy is still at the club. A poor poor signing who I'll always remember as a super sub for the opposition - guaranteed to give them a pen when they most need it. CC needs to set standards - Get rid.

Pretty much agree with all of the above.

Alfred E Newman
21-04-2011, 09:06 PM
People on here talking about giving Vaz Te a 3 year deal based on 4 or 5 very ordinary performances should look at the Thicot situation and the realise the madness of handing out speculative and expensive long term deals to mediocre players.

Bostonhibby
21-04-2011, 09:08 PM
As someone said above there's a player in there, but can't see how he fits in the SPL, I wonder if its just that he has been so rarely used that CC forgot we had him, and when it comes to RP looking down the back of the sofa for the odd fiver he will pop up. Credit to him if he wants to stay and fight, and for that reason alone I would give him a season as a defensive midfielder.

Jonnyboy
21-04-2011, 09:23 PM
People on here talking about giving Vaz Te a 3 year deal based on 4 or 5 very ordinary performances should look at the Thicot situation and the realise the madness of handing out speculative and expensive long term deals to mediocre players.

Top post :agree:

Frogga
21-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I think Thicot was alright when he got a chance at CB.

I seem to remember him being reasonably solid at Tynecastle once or twice.

Never a RB though.

hibee81
21-04-2011, 11:05 PM
thicot when played at CH against the unwashed was class, i personally would like him to stay and fight it out for a place with hanlon and a experienced CH. hanlon is no better than thicot imo but the fact he's been through the youth makes him somewhat more favourable in some eyes. given some decent game time @ centre half and i would have no doubt that thiicot would cut it and dispalce hanlon, but in saying that i dont see them training day in day out.

easty
22-04-2011, 08:25 AM
thicot when played at CH against the unwashed was class, i personally would like him to stay and fight it out for a place with hanlon and a experienced CH. hanlon is no better than thicot imo but the fact he's been through the youth makes him somewhat more favourable in some eyes. given some decent game time @ centre half and i would have no doubt that thiicot would cut it and dispalce hanlon, but in saying that i dont see them training day in day out.

Everyones entitled to an opinion I suppose, but yours is just total crap. :wink:

I'm surprised at the amount of people who defend Thicots ability. He played about one good game, a few average games and then in the majority he was a bombscare who you worried about everytime the opposition got close to him.

BSEJVT
22-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Thierry Gatheussi Mk 2, only far far worse

Awful record for giving away needless penalties.

Astonished he has lasted this long

There is nothing about this guy that will ever make him a footballer IMO

No pace, cant pass, weak in the tackle,cant track a runner.

easty
22-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Thierry Gatheussi Mk 2, only far far worse

Awful record for giving away needless penalties.

Astonished he has lasted this long

There is nothing about this guy that will ever make him a footballer IMO

No pace, cant pass, weak in the tackle,cant track a runner.

You missed 'doesn't communicate at all'. Does he even speak English? I've never heard him say a word on the pitch.

J-C
22-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Thicot is and aways has been a CM/CB, when played there he's never let Hibs down and played reasonably well, unfortunately Yogi and Mixu thought they could play him at RB where his lack of pace was shown up. Remember we only have Palsson and Murray as our 2 holding midfielders and if the rumours are true then Murray will be lucky to play at all next season, maybe even retiring due to his arthritic hips. This will leave us with 1 DM and unless CC has another in his radar, the Thicot should stay as cover but only in the middle never out wide.

JimBHibees
22-04-2011, 11:29 AM

Great post. Completely agree. :agree:

Brooster
23-04-2011, 08:49 AM
I cannot believe there are folk on here who would consider giving this waster another contract, he will probably be on about £80k a year, should we be wasting that sort of cash on someone who is rubbish and cant be ersed?

smurf
23-04-2011, 09:06 AM
Thicot another contract? For what? Ambassadorial role or something?

Dinkydoo
24-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Tin hat on here but I'd rather have him at CH than Dickoh; he's been the cause of most of our defensive balls ups over the last 6 months imo.

matty_f
24-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Thicot hasn't troubled the first team regularly since we signed him. As much as I think he's a decent enough player, that wage could be better spent elsewhere and for that reason I don't think he should get another contract.

R'Albin
24-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Still think the boy could be a defensive midfielder and he's still the subject of the funniest post I ever read on here.

What was it?

HibbyAndy
24-04-2011, 09:41 AM
All about opinions eh?

Well mines is never in a million years should we consider giving him a new deal.Total waste of a wage that offers absolute zero.

3pm
24-04-2011, 10:10 AM
He had some really good games. He played well at Tynecastle when the reserves won 1-0 and he kept Robbie Keane very quiet at Easter Road. He is also prone to making some ridiculous decisions.

No mileage in this one. These debates remind me of when I moved house, you don't really want to chuck something out because you MIGHT use it in future but in reality you know it's pointless.