PDA

View Full Version : Budgie on Mogadon

brog
21-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Apologies if posted previously but I've just read the Hibs chapters in Budgie's book, imaginatively entitled Budgie! He wasn't too impressed with Alex Miller's management although he does give him credit for League Cup win. Basically he says AM spent far too much time worrying about opposition rather than them worrying about Hibs.
It brought to mind a meeting I had with AM & Dougie Cromb when I questioned AM re his tactic of having 10 men in the box while defending corner kicks. He launched into a lengthy explanation of each player's role in the box & then basically looked at me like I was an idiot for asking the question.
I then said to him, If we put our smallest/fastest player ( I quoted Kevin Harper ) up near the halfway line then opposition will have to take 2 out the box to mark him & now your marking principles still apply but we've got a man spare as well. He blustered a bit but basically had no answer. He was perfectly approachable with me but definitely not inspirational. Nice to know after all these years that Budgie shared my opinion. :wink:
PS, my fav quote, " I had won cups before with Villa & Blackpool & a title with Crystal Palace -- but I had never seen anything like the scenes in Edinburgh that night."
It's an easy & enjoyable read. Good luck to Budgie.

Killiehibbie
21-04-2011, 10:19 AM
If the opposition don't score you don't get beat. I thought Budgie being a keeper would be fully behind his manager but what would I know as I fell asleep about 1987.

Phil MaGlass
21-04-2011, 11:41 AM
if the opposition don't score you don't get beat. I thought budgie being a keeper would be fully behind his manager but what would i know as i fell asleep about 1987.

hahahahaha......

BurghHibby
21-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I prefered the bit where he told how he beat up Mogadon in the dressing room before an away game at Airdrie and Murdo Macleod had to beat Budgie about the head with an old "brick" style mobile phone to get him to stop!
This was all about 10 minutes before kick-off and they then went out an played, dinnae make them like that anymore!:hibees

Stevie Reid
21-04-2011, 02:12 PM
In 1994-95, we lost as few games as Rangers, who won the league by a mile - of course you could argue that his perceived negativity stopped us winning more games, but I don't recall the team containing Wright, Jackson, O'Neill, McAllister and McGinlay being boring.

I do not wish to get into yet another debate about Miller, but we all know where we ended up 18 months after his departure - and I bet we would all take a team with the attacking flair and defensive solidity of the 1994-95 side in a heartbeat. Ironically it seems like CC will be hailed as the messiah if he gets anywhere close to that.

Also interesting to note that not only did we lose as few games as the league champions, Hearts lost only one less game than the team that was relegated, and finished 6th: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%9395_Scottish_Premier_Division

tanfield
21-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Budgie seemed to fall out with a lot of managers and didn't really hang about anywhere that long. When if came to any dispute he didn't back down at all.

Book was an easy read and showed clearly his dedication to his profession.

brog
22-04-2011, 02:33 PM
In 1994-95, we lost as few games as Rangers, who won the league by a mile - of course you could argue that his perceived negativity stopped us winning more games, but I don't recall the team containing Wright, Jackson, O'Neill, McAllister and McGinlay being boring.

I do not wish to get into yet another debate about Miller, but we all know where we ended up 18 months after his departure - and I bet we would all take a team with the attacking flair and defensive solidity of the 1994-95 side in a heartbeat. Ironically it seems like CC will be hailed as the messiah if he gets anywhere close to that.

Also interesting to note that not only did we lose as few games as the league champions, Hearts lost only one less game than the team that was relegated, and finished 6th: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994%E2%80%9395_Scottish_Premier_Division

I wouldn't disagree with that & AM made that point himself on many occasions. However his fear of opponents contrasts vividly with some great managers, notably Bill Shankly, who always inspired their players to believe they were much better than the opposition. Per Budgie, AM was particularly fearful of the Huns which is a tad surprising given that AM played for a Rangers team who were regularly gubbed by Hibs in the early 70's!

new malkyhib
23-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I wouldn't disagree with that & AM made that point himself on many occasions. However his fear of opponents contrasts vividly with some great managers, notably Bill Shankly, who always inspired their players to believe they were much better than the opposition. Per Budgie, AM was particularly fearful of the Huns which is a tad surprising given that AM played for a Rangers team who were regularly gubbed by Hibs in the early 70's!

I think it was a personality clash with Budgie and Miller.

Budgie had a personality.