PDA

View Full Version : MLS club bids for Riordan

BEEJ
20-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Apparently ...

http://www.hibernian-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/mls_side_houston_dynamo_fail_in_bid_for_hibs_strik er_riordan_670037/index.shtml

Confusing, the way the item's worded. Not clear why the bid would have fallen through.

Can anyone verify this story?

Barney McGrew
20-04-2011, 04:17 PM
It was in The Sun this morning (at the bottom of the article)

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3536286/Sodje-wants-support-act.html

wazoo1875
20-04-2011, 04:20 PM
It's in today's Sun too. Says they wanted to take him now rather than at the end of his contract which would've cost them a fee. Also states they wanted to make him(riordan) one of there first picks, so he wouldn't be governed by a wage cap.
I'll try and find a link if it's online

Here you go Beej
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3536286/Sodje-wants-support-act.html

BEEJ
20-04-2011, 04:24 PM
It was in The Sun this morning (at the bottom of the article)

Here you go Beej
Thanks to you both. :aok:

JE89
20-04-2011, 05:03 PM
If i was Riordan I'd bite their hand off. Hope he stays though

Sean1875
20-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Would it even be possible to sign him just now outwith our transfer window?

GreenCastle
20-04-2011, 05:04 PM
MLS is a better league - quality wise and structure than the SPL and it pains me to say that.

If the Riordan deal was true then if I was him I would have gone as it would have suited him more than down south or playing in Glasgow ever again.

NYHibby
20-04-2011, 05:26 PM
This story lost all of its credibility when it claimed they would make Riordan their designated player. He is nowhere close to being good enough to be a DP. Landon Donovan is a DP, not Deek.

NYHibby
20-04-2011, 05:29 PM
In case you don't know, Houston's coach is Scottish

_hucks_
20-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Whats all this designated player stuff all about?

NYHibby
20-04-2011, 05:40 PM
MLS has a soft salary cap. It restricts the total amount teams can spend on wages. It prevents a situation where teams like the old firm out spend the other teams.

Designated players don't have their whole salary count towards the cap. The rule was created so LA could sign Beckham.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule

Winston Ingram
20-04-2011, 05:44 PM
I'd be surprised if Rod said no. We would have saved a bucket in wages:agree:

HibeeSince85
20-04-2011, 05:48 PM
This story lost all of its credibility when it claimed they would make Riordan their designated player. He is nowhere close to being good enough to be a DP. Landon Donovan is a DP, not Deek.

Yeah for LA Galaxy, are Houston not smaller, quite alot smaller?

So for the calibre of player they can sign maybe Deek's their man, just like Hibs in the SPL, we cant sign the top guys at the OF.

I also don't agree the MLS is that far ahead of the SPL but that's just my opinion.

Can't see Deek going, Houston's no just heading down to Blackpool, London etc, he'd be back in the UK in 6 months.

Hibby70
20-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah for LA Galaxy, are Houston not smaller, quite alot smaller?

So for the calibre of player they can sign maybe Deek's their man, just like Hibs in the SPL, we cant sign the top guys at the OF.

I also don't agree the MLS is that far ahead of the SPL but that's just my opinion.

Can't see Deek going, Houston's no just heading down to Blackpool, London etc, he'd be back in the UK in 6 months.

Houston is a also a bit of a dump. And their football (soccer) team plays second fiddle to their Rollerball team. He could go on a night out with Johnathan and Moonpie mind you.

Bostonhibby
20-04-2011, 06:01 PM
In case you don't know, Houston's coach is Scottish

Is Houston further away from Edinburgh than Glasgow? And does the Pub watch scheme extend that far? could be major factors in this deal :wink:

HibeeSince85
20-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Houston is a also a bit of a dump. And their football (soccer) team plays second fiddle to their Rollerball team. He could go on a night out with Johnathan and Moonpie mind you.

And on said night out if he had a bit too much moonshine - started up a little bar sing song at the expense of the rollerball teams star eastern european player there would be no outcry on their forum, they'd just shoot him:greengrin

NYHibby
20-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Sorry, that reference is before my time. I did hear that the remake was pretty bad.

The_Todd
20-04-2011, 06:09 PM
He'd be mad not to, life changing opportunity. Though he might want to wait for a nicer place than Houston to come up.

GreenCastle
20-04-2011, 06:21 PM

Houston has more going on than many small places in Scotland or England :confused:

Their soccer team has actually been pretty successful over the last few years also :agree:

MLS is growing every day and you just have to look at the stadia and attendances at the different stadiums plus the T.V ratings etc rising every year.

CapitalHibs
20-04-2011, 06:24 PM
He'd be mad not to, life changing opportunity. Though he might want to wait for a nicer place than Houston to come up.

Wouldnae last 5 minutes in the summer heat - humid as hell there. Houston also has a a large and active cockroach population (and am no referring to jambos either:wink:)

GreenCastle
20-04-2011, 06:27 PM
No mention of it after a quick glance :confused:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1063

3pm
20-04-2011, 06:54 PM

He'd struggle with the language as well.

Ritchie
20-04-2011, 07:03 PM
The mls is totally mind boggling to me with all it's 1st drafts and the like.

Can someone give me a quick idiots guide to how it all works please.....

NYHibby
20-04-2011, 07:10 PM
The mls is totally mind boggling to me with all it's 1st drafts and the like.

Can someone give me a quick idiots guide to how it all works please.....

Do you know how the NFL or other American sports work? MLS works in a similar way.

I quickly found this: http://www.majorleaguesocceruk.com/p/guide-to-mls.html

Ritchie
20-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Do you know how the NFL or other American sports work? MLS works in a similar way.

I quickly found this: http://www.majorleaguesocceruk.com/p/guide-to-mls.html

No, the other sports confuse me too when it comes to things like that.

Will have a look at that link though and come back with any questions :wink:

McD
20-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Would it even be possible to sign him just now outwith our transfer window?

Its the buying club's window that matters - remember Gary O'Connor going to Moscow after our window had shut coz theirs was still open.

Sylar
20-04-2011, 07:51 PM
If he didn't settle in Glasgow, there's not a hope of him moving to Houston, TX :greengrin

Hibby70
20-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Houston has more going on than many small places in Scotland or England :confused:

Very true but it is a dump (especially compared to the likes of Austin and San Antonio)

greenlex
20-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I was chuckling away to myself there. Is the MSL still going?

Maybury Sunday League. :greengrin

Makaveli
20-04-2011, 10:46 PM
According to Wikipedia, one of the designated players in 2010 was on under 6k a week (less than Deeks will have been getting along the road) so it's hardly far fetched.

GreenCastle
21-04-2011, 03:54 AM
According to Wikipedia, one of the designated players in 2010 was on under 6k a week (less than Deeks will have been getting along the road) so it's hardly far fetched.

Most DP's are on decent $$

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/august_12_2010_salary_information__by_club.pdf

Here is the latest salaries I could find online - the 2011 set should be available soon - with players updated etc.

You can have players who are just out of college for $40,000 a year and other designated players earning about $5,000,000 a year!

The USA are trying to grow the league and every year your not quite sure who is going to win it - the SPL needs something similar to make it interesting and to stop old firm dominance.

Beefster
21-04-2011, 07:22 AM

Here is the latest salaries I could find online - the 2011 set should be available soon - with players updated etc.

You can have players who are just out of college for $40,000 a year and other designated players earning about $5,000,000 a year!

The USA are trying to grow the league and every year your not quite sure who is going to win it - the SPL needs something similar to make it interesting and to stop old firm dominance.

Would never work here. We don't have the same college system, we don't have a long history in sports of drafts etc, we have clubs with massively different incomes and presumably American clubs only have to worry about domestic competition.

It would work if UEFA implemented it but not if it was just the SFA/SPL in isolation. Let's be honest, UEFA are never going to do it.

Mark79
21-04-2011, 07:51 AM

I agree. Wish the SPL would maybe cap wages or something to bring in some competition. The problem now is that both celtic and rangers have built football clubs that rely on massive income to keep them ticking over. If the SPL enforced wage caps and competition in the league for cups and titles then the fans would fall away from them both and income would drop. rangers and celtic now just expect this income.

It would be a bit like me getting an increased income through overtime being available to me every night and weekend for years and then the company announcing that no overtime is available going forward.

The SPL dont have the bottle to change things that would upset those two and we are now in a position where if they decide to do anything that affects their income they wont.

Bostonhibby
21-04-2011, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=greenlex;2784305]I was chuckling away to myself there. Is the MSL still going?

Masonic Scottish League, or Masonic League Scotland is sadly still very much in rude health, though events this week might see Uefa beginning to strangle it.

ScottB
21-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Didn't Paul Dalgliesh go there after us?

ArabHibee
21-04-2011, 09:38 PM

Yes and Stephen Glass is away there too I believe.

Sir David Gray
21-04-2011, 09:46 PM

He used to be the head coach of a team in Tampa, Florida but left them last year.

GreenCastle
21-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Would never work here. We don't have the same college system, we don't have a long history in sports of drafts etc, we have clubs with massively different incomes and presumably American clubs only have to worry about domestic competition.

It would work if UEFA implemented it but not if it was just the SFA/SPL in isolation. Let's be honest, UEFA are never going to do it.

I think it would be a bold move to change.

But a salary cap isn't the worst idea ever - the draft system doesn't have to have players out of college - they can be free transfers - that the worst club in the league chooses 1st -which should mean the best free transfer player improving the worst club.

There are lots of if's and but's and the college structure is a major issue in US sport - there are pro's and con's of it - times are changing though and more players are playing for the local pro Academies and not going to college as they want to play soccer in the 1st team at 17 / 18.

American clubs also play in CONCACAF Champions league so not just domestic - but there is no promotion or relegation which stops clubs having the fear of going down.

Paul Dalglish is now in Houston coaching with a local clubside in Austin, Texas - Dynamo Juniors.

Jim44
21-04-2011, 11:11 PM
I think Riordan, at this stage in his career, would be a fool to stay at ER if he gets the chance to go to America to earn big bucks. There's no future for him except the slippery slope at Hibs and he should cash in on what little kudos he has left in the game. Hibs are much bigger than Riordan and to pin any future success as a club on his staying is highly debatable.

Liberal Hibby
21-04-2011, 11:16 PM
I think it would be a bold move to change.

But a salary cap isn't the worst idea ever - the draft system doesn't have to have players out of college - they can be free transfers - that the worst club in the league chooses 1st -which should mean the best free transfer player improving the worst club.

There are lots of if's and but's and the college structure is a major issue in US sport - there are pro's and con's of it - times are changing though and more players are playing for the local pro Academies and not going to college as they want to play soccer in the 1st team at 17 / 18.

American clubs also play in CONCACAF Champions league so not just domestic - but there is no promotion or relegation which stops clubs having the fear of going down.

Paul Dalglish is now in Houston coaching with a local clubside in Austin, Texas - Dynamo Juniors.

Interesting thanks.

I've thought that the solution for Scottish football is tradeable wages allowances.

What this means is that a maximum wage allowance is set per club per division say - £5m for the SPL, £2m for the 1st, £0.75m for the 2nd and £500k for the 3rd. But these allowances are tradeable for a price to be agreed between the clubs trading.

What this means is that Rangers and Celtc (under the example above) would need to buy at least £15m worth of wage allowances from other teams. Now it would be in the OF's interest to pay as little as possible and in the selling clubs to maximise the cost. So Hamilton, say, would be allowed to spend £5m, but would only realistically need £1.5-£2m they could then sell on to the OF (or anyone else) the remainder to the highest bidder - but at a significant discount.

What this would mean is that the OF would continue to have the largest incomes and therefore biggest budgets, but would have to pay their rivals to be able to do so.

It would mean if a club like Hibs ever got relegated again they could still buy their way out.

But it would see a massive redistribution of wealth from top to bottom, without squashing the bigger club's ability to make marque signings and pay higher wages - that a simple wage cap would do (and wouldn't be accepted as a result)

Sergio sledge
22-04-2011, 07:31 AM
<p>
Would never work here. We don't have the same college system, we don't have a long history in sports of drafts etc, we have clubs with massively different incomes and presumably American clubs only have to worry about domestic competition.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>It would work if UEFA implemented it but not if it was just the SFA/SPL in isolation. Let's be honest, UEFA are never going to do it.

The draft system could potentially work here but it would take a quite drastic change.

Clubs hand over control of youth development to a neutral centralised organisation, with each club paying a set annual fee towards the running costs according to the division they are in. The Central pro academies are responsible for scouting and signing players from the local sides.

Every year there is a draft of players with all players in the final two years of their academy lives allowed to enter. Clubs get picks according to league placings, with the newly promoted club getting 1st pick. We could have 3 or 4 rounds for the spl then all remaining players drop into an sfl draft.

draft picks are on a capped salary for the 1st two years of their contract to prevent the old firm paying heaps more than other clubs can afford.

Like in the USA, clubs can include draft picks in and future transfers between clubs as part of the transfer fee.

IMHO it could work and would allow the academies to focus on skills based training as well as education for the players who may not get picked in the draft.

R'Albin
22-04-2011, 09:57 AM
I think Riordan, at this stage in his career, would be a fool to stay at ER if he gets the chance to go to America to earn big bucks. There's no future for him except the slippery slope at Hibs and he should cash in on what little kudos he has left in the game. Hibs are much bigger than Riordan and to pin any future success as a club on his staying is highly debatable.

:agree: I would like to see Riordan go now, and leave on a high(ish) note as oppose to having a poor season and being remembered for that.

Removed
22-04-2011, 11:19 AM
:agree: I would like to see Riordan go now, and leave on a high(ish) note as oppose to having a poor season and being remembered for that.

Did you miss the 'tongue in cheek' smiley :wink:

FromTheCapital
22-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I don't think Deeks will go over to America,
He is a Hibee through and through and his hatred of the yams makes me think he'll stay.

Haymaker
22-04-2011, 05:15 PM
A big problem with the restructuring of the youth set up is club academies will never, ever, go for it. They treasure their prized assests too much. Funny though, in France where the game is borderline the 2nd sport, french academies fight it out to send their best products to national centres of excellence like Clairefontaine.