PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news on Reporting Scotland

Sir David Gray
19-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Explosives have been sent to Neil Lennon and two high profile Celtic fans. Apparently the devices were viable and intended to kill or maim their targets.

Absolutely disgraceful. :agree:

Darth Hibbie
19-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Explosives have been sent to Neil Lennon and two high profile Celtic fans. Apparently the devices were viable and intended to kill or maim their targets.

Absolutely disgraceful. :agree:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-13129139

As much as I dislike Lennon its only a football thing and he does not deserve this. Agree total disgrace.

IWasThere2016
19-04-2011, 09:40 PM
On the wires now - Lennon, Paul McBride, QC and a MSP (to be named)

ArabHibee
19-04-2011, 09:41 PM
I wish someone would buy Lennon some lip balm. Those cracked lips do nout for his image. Must be sore as well.

Speedway
**** **** **** **** ****. (The senders that is)

Removed

Trish Godman

HibeeSince85
19-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Lennon's a wind up but he doesn't deserve whats been going on with the threats lately.

Sir David Gray
19-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Trish Godman apparently, Labour MSP.

Never heard of her.

Sylar
19-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I'd like to start off by saying I agree that this is disgraceful - he's been saying for a few months that he might not stick around in Glasgow, because of all the hassles (and who could blame him).

I do feel he brings a lot of the grief he receives on himself, but this is a whole other level of threat against his safety.

I wouldn't be surprised if he upped sticks and left after this season is up, which is a shame, as it means the bigots win.

IWasThere2016
19-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Lennon's a wind up but he doesn't deserve whats been going on with the threats lately.

Yup - but I hope he's strong enough not to walk away. That would be the wrong conslusion to this. That said, you'd understand if - for the sake of his family/sanity - he did. I dislike him but this is disgarceful and further embarrassment for our game.

mon the cabbage
19-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Really poor, no-one likes him but thats extreme!

CropleyWasGod
19-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Trish Godman apparently, Labour MSP.

Never heard of her.

No longer an MSP. She's stood down.

Mother of one of the Natwest 3

mon the cabbage
19-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I dont know why that smiley came up

Sir David Gray
19-04-2011, 09:49 PM
I'd like to start off by saying I agree that this is disgraceful - he's been saying for a few months that he might not stick around in Glasgow, because of all the hassles (and who could blame him).

However, he brings a lot of the grief (again, not deserving to THAT extent) on himself, by commenting on things which really don't concern him and stirring up ill feeling whenever he's in front of the press.

He really needs to learn to keep his head down and just focus on being the manager of Celtic Football Club, without involving himself in conspiratorial nonsense or making comment on matters surrounding their cousins across the road.

I agree with that and I can't stand Lennon any more than most people. I find him to be extremely obnoxious.

However, it's one thing singing songs about him at a football match and something quite different to be making serious attempts to murder him.

This is completely and utterly unjustified and totally unacceptable.

If I was Lennon, I would be leaving Glasgow ASAP and going elsewhere to find employment. It's sad that it's come to this but I think my safety and that of my family would be of far greater importance than the Celtic manager's job.

Sylar
19-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I agree with that and I can't stand Lennon any more than most people. I find him to be extremely obnoxious.

However, it's one thing singing songs about him at a football match and something quite different to be making serious attempts to murder him.

This is completely and utterly unjustified and totally unacceptable.

If I was Lennon, I would be leaving Glasgow ASAP and going elsewhere to find employment. It's sad that it's come to this but I think my safety and that of my family would be of far greater importance than the Celtic manager's job.

Agree 100% and I'm glad my post was read as intended - I was worried it would sound like a justification, when it really isn't.

HibeeSince85
19-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Yup - but I hope he's strong enough not to walk away. That would be the wrong conslusion to this. That said, you'd understand if - for the sake of his family/sanity - he did. I dislike him but this is disgarceful and further embarrassment for our game.

Does nothing but badly harm our games reputation.

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2011, 09:53 PM
As a human being I cant find the words to describe the pond life ( I apologise to Pond Life ) behind this, if true.

If it is anything to do with sectarianism ..... In what universe do they think that doing this will contribute ANYTHING to their cause.

If it was purely a football thing ...... Their view of the importance of football in society and their lives is so far out of step with its true place in the universe that they must truly be in need of phsyciatric help.

Neil Lennon is an odious wee turd. But this, or any other form of violence against him or anybody else for that matter, just coz they annoy you in a football context, is just unacceptable lunacy.

:crazy:

Shrekko
19-04-2011, 09:58 PM

However, he brings a lot of the grief (again, not deserving to THAT extent) on himself, by commenting on things which really don't concern him and stirring up ill feeling whenever he's in front of the press.

He really needs to learn to keep his head down and just focus on being the manager of Celtic Football Club, without involving himself in conspiratorial nonsense or making comment on matters surrounding their cousins across the road.

To be fair though- everything he talks about is FOOTBALL related, conspiracy stuff included.

He brings the FOOTBALL related stick he gets on himself but when we're talking about stuff in this
context please don't suggest he is partly responsible. This is not 'grief' he's getting, it's someone trying to kill him.

As far as I know, despite suspicions of the bigots, Lennon has never said anything remotely political or given any inclination he has strong views on stuff like that. This is just getting ridiculous and everyone should be concerned that extremists see Scottish football, as somehow related to what they get upset about.

Jonnyboy
19-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Shocking, truly shocking

Sylar
19-04-2011, 10:05 PM
To be fair though- everything he talks about is FOOTBALL related, conspiracy stuff included.

He bring the FOOTBALL related stick he gets on himself but when we're talking about stuff in this
context please don't suggest he is partly responsible. This is not 'grief' he's getting, it's someone trying to kill him.

As far as I know, despite suspicions of the bigots, Lennon has never said anything remotely political or given any inclination he has strong views on stuff like that. This is just getting ridiculous and everyone should be concerned that extremists see Scottish football, as somehow related to what they get upset about.

But it's not - last week he was congratulating UEFA for coming down on Rangers for their fans' behaviour vs PSV Eindhoven. There was absolutely no need for him to say anything on the matter. It says more about the people who are likely to get wound up by it than him, but Lennon knows all too well the cauldron that is the Old Firm, and he would have known that his comments would have riled the most extreme element of the Rangers support. That shouldn't endanger his life though, I agree entirely!

As I've said (and tried to stress in my other posts) THIS level of threat/violence etc against him isn't justified in terms of his footballing antics or comments. It's a continuing theme and for his own sake, he should be packing up and leaving Scotland as his own safety is much more important than the cesspit of Glasgow Football. He shouldn't NEED to do this but these threats aren't going away and he's too resilient to walk because of someone else's prejudice. I guess it's a clash of 2 schools of thought, whereby he's safer if he leaves, but yielding to the threats of bigots if he does.

Ach - I'm struggling to not sound like an apologist here and it's not my intention.

zlatan
19-04-2011, 10:06 PM
**** **** **** **** ****. (The senders that is)

Muslim name? Ruddy terrorists.

Removed
19-04-2011, 10:06 PM
As a human being I cant find the words to describe the pond life ( I apologise to Pond Life ) behind this, if true.

If it is anything to do with sectarianism ..... In what universe do they think that doing this will contribute ANYTHING to their cause.

If it was purely a football thing ...... Their view of the importance of football in society and their lives is so far out of step with its true place in the universe that they must truly be in need of phsyciatric help.

Neil Lennon is an odious wee turd. But this, or any other form of violence against him or anybody else for that matter, just coz they annoy you in a football context, is just unacceptable lunacy.

:crazy:

:agree:

And as well as wanting to hurt Lennon, the lawyer and the politician, they don't give one thought about some poor innocent person who may get seriously injured or killed sorting or delivering one of these parcels.

We live in a sick world.

gorgie_harp
19-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Does nothing but badly harm our games reputation.

And country.:boo hoo:

givescotlandfreedom
19-04-2011, 10:13 PM
The OF players and coaches like Lennon and McCoist have to have a word with themselves big time. These bombs show there are real psychos out there who will kill and their petty hard man acts at games and noising up of opposition fans and provoking their own is seriously fueling this sort of thing.
If players and coaches continue in this way they should be charged by the police and what they do has a big bearing on how these nutters react. Whilst it's relatively rare for campaigns like this one again Lennon to take place, ordinary fans are more likely to get a doing as a result of the hatred provoked on and off the field.

Shrekko
19-04-2011, 10:19 PM
But it's not - last week he was congratulating UEFA for coming down on Rangers for their fans' behaviour vs PSV Eindhoven. There was absolutely no need for him to say anything on the matter. It says more about the people who are likely to get wound up by it than him, but Lennon knows all too well the cauldron that is the Old Firm, and he would have known that his comments would have riled the most extreme element of the Rangers support. That shouldn't endanger his life though, I agree entirely!

As I've said (and tried to stress in my other posts) THIS level of threat/violence etc against him isn't justified in terms of his footballing antics or comments. It's a continuing theme and for his own sake, he should be packing up and leaving Scotland as his own safety is much more important than the cesspit of Glasgow Football. He shouldn't NEED to do this but these threats aren't going away and he's too resilient to walk because of someone else's prejudice. I guess it's a clash of 2
schools of thought, whereby he's safer if he leaves, but yielding to the threats of bigots if he does.

Perhaps its the journalists asking the questions that need to be more responsible?

Why shouldn't he comment on an anti-bigotry stance by UEFA anyway? Again put it in context- the SFA (and I'm not suggesting an anti Celtic bias) have just let Rangers off the hook yet again with Messrs McCoist, Diouf and Bougherra avoiding punishment for in 2 of the cases blatant offences, and he's been done with a 4 match ban from the same game. While this is going on the SFA continue to ignore the fact that Rangers fans have been loudly singing songs that were banned a couple of years ago where points docking was supposedly threatened as a punishment. I'm damn sure I'd want to pass comment on UEFA tackling an issue the SFA shy away from if I was asked under those circumstances. We continually complain about lack of honesty from football people- well Lennon gave the same opinion I have on the matter!!

BryanV
19-04-2011, 10:19 PM

Yes, perhaps this bomb threat will bring him to heal. And the MSP and the QC, I'm sure they have been guilty of involving themselves in matters that don't concern them.

Sylar
19-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, perhaps this bomb threat will bring him to heal. And the MSP and the QC, I'm sure they have been guilty of involving themselves in matters that don't concern them.

Aye, that was so obviously the point I was making right enough.

Bravo indeed :rolleyes:

Bishop Hibee
19-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Absolutely disgusting. It's attempted murder FFS. Lennon may be a hot head but when he speaks up regarding bigotry he should be applauded, as should McCoist for his comments today about arresting fans who sing sectarian songs at football games.

The SFA, SPL and SFL can no longer sweep this problem under the carpet. Zero tolerance in football stadia across Scotland regarding bigotry with arrests where necessary.

I hope whoever sent these packages will be brought to justice swiftly.

BryanV
19-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Aye, that was so obviously the point I was making right enough.

Bravo indeed :rolleyes:

You said he, to some extent ,brought it on himself by involving himself in matters that don't conern him. Just to be clear we are dealing with an actual bomb sent to him in the post. My natural response is disgust, not a desire to search for mitigation or provocation.

Removed
19-04-2011, 10:29 PM

How does it not concern Lennon when he is from Northern Ireland and was threatened so much he stopped playing for his country?

BryanV
19-04-2011, 10:30 PM
How does it not concern Lennon when he is from Northern Ireland and was threatened so much he stopped playing for his country?

I think you missed my point here.

hibsdaft
19-04-2011, 10:30 PM
reading between the lines i am not sure how much of a threat this "bomb" was. supposition on my behalf though.

in the meantime comments that Lennon has brought this stuff on himself are a total disgrace in my view.

Sylar
19-04-2011, 10:32 PM
Perhaps its the journalists asking the questions that need to be more responsible?

Why shouldn't he comment on an anti-bigotry stance by UEFA anyway? Again put it in context- the SFA (and I'm not suggesting an anti Celtic bias) have just let Rangers off the hook yet again with Messrs McCoist, Diouf and Bougherra avoiding punishment for in 2 of the cases blatant offences, and he's been done with a 4 match ban from the same game. While this is going on the SFA continue to ignore the fact that Rangers fans have been loudly singing songs that were banned a couple of years ago where points docking was supposedly threatened as a punishment. I'm damn sure I'd want to pass comment on UEFA tackling an issue the SFA shy away from if I was asked under those circumstances. We continually complain about lack of honesty from football people- well Lennon gave the same opinion I have on the matter!!

Absolutely - I did allude to that in my initial post about media leading questions a bit better. However, they're only interested in selling news, good or bad, so responsible is going to be put on a bit of a back burner for the most part.

Anyway, as I've said a few times, I don't want to sound like an apologist, so I'll re-emphasize that I think it's preposterous and bow out, seeing as clarity doesn't appear to be my strong suit this evening!

As an aside, there's a thread about this on FollowFollow and the sheer unwillingness to believe that these devices (past and present) actually exist is frightening. They're demanding that the police come out and confirm their existence or show pictures of them on the news, or it's "The Daily Rhebel's 'word for it'".

Removed
I think you missed my point here.

Must have :agree:

Can you clarify then please.

basehibby

I think it's irrelevant what Lennon and others may or may not have said - the fact is that a homicidal phsychopath is on the loose out there and needs to be brought to justice before they actually kill someone (if indeed they haven't already).
This person(s) must be caught and when that happens they need to throw away the f***in key!

BryanV
19-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Must have :agree:

Can you clarify then please.

Apologies, I was being sarcastic in response to the suggestion that Lennon brought it on himself.

Sylar
19-04-2011, 10:36 PM
You said he, to some extent ,brought it on himself by involving himself in matters that don't conern him. Just to be clear we are dealing with an actual bomb sent to him in the post. My natural response is disgust, not a desire to search for mitigation or provocation.

No, I said he brings a lot of the grief he gets on himself. In the very same sentence, I also acknowledge that this was a whole other level of threat/violence and was not justifiable in any way, shape or form.

I do believe, that in his position (with all things being relative, including the hardcore elements of his clubs rival supporters), he has perhaps said/done more than the odd thing which would incite said extremists. I also backed that up with a statement which said "[it] says more about them than it does him".

In no circumstances would I think this is acceptable and I've stressed that in every post I've made thus far.

Removed
19-04-2011, 10:36 PM
I think it's irrelevant what Lennon and others may or may not have said - the fact is that a homicidal phsychopath is on the loose out there and needs to be brought to justice before they actually kill someone (if indeed they haven't already).
This person(s) must be caught and when that happens they need to throw away the f***in key!

A lot of them were caught and in the Maze but they got let out.

basehibby
19-04-2011, 10:40 PM
reading between the lines i am not sure how much of a threat this "bomb" was. supposition on my behalf though.

in the meantime comments that Lennon has brought this stuff on himself are a total disgrace in my view.

Not just Lennon remember - there's a QC and an MSP in there too - the QC obviously has connections with Lennon - not the MSP though - just a prominent Celtic fan.

Sylar
19-04-2011, 10:41 PM
I've edited my original post, as it's being wrongly interpreted (probably due to a lack of clarity on my part).

Not for one second do I believe he's brought actions like THIS on himself. I do believe a lot of the grief the guy gets is self inflicted, but nothing he's said/done merits this level of hostility.

New Corrie
19-04-2011, 10:46 PM
It must be awful for them, I mean the rich "Celtic Minded" QC who rapes tax payers to keep criminals out of prison getting threatened......shocking::confused:

The Celtic manager who threatens heavily pregnant women with violence...shocking:confused:

Fly with the crows

crewetollhibee
19-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Trish Godman
She hasn't been on telly much since Jeremy Kyle appeared :devil:. In all seriousness, I can't wait for that little girning git Lennon to get his come-uppance, but purely in football terms. Utterly, utterly disgusting to still be reading about this nonsense 14 years after the Good Friday agreement.

basehibby
19-04-2011, 10:47 PM
A lot of them were caught and in the Maze but they got let out.

All part of the peace process accross the water, whether each individual release was justified or not it was for the greater good.

This one seems to live in Scotland and his/her (it's?) odious poison needs to be stamped out vigorously and asap.

basehibby
19-04-2011, 10:51 PM
It must be awful for them, I mean the rich "Celtic Minded" QC who rapes tax payers to keep criminals out of prison getting threatened......shocking::confused:

The Celtic manager who threatens heavily pregnant women with violence...shocking:confused:

Fly with the crows

Talking about odious poison....

Admins - is it possible to ban this .... on the strength of the above???

New Corrie
19-04-2011, 10:54 PM

How ironic that one of the alleged targets makes copious amounts of money keeping people out of prison....**** him"

zlatan
19-04-2011, 10:54 PM

Fly with the crows

Wow

ArabHibee
19-04-2011, 10:55 PM
All part of the peace process accross the water, whether each individual release was justified or not it was for the greater good.

This one seems to live in Scotland and his/her (it's?) odious poison needs to be stamped out vigorously and asap.

Where has it been reported that its someone from Scotland that sent them?

Removed
19-04-2011, 10:56 PM

Not getting involved in a debate about the first part. Agree 100% with second sentence. A few high profile loyalist paramilitaries settled in Ayrshire. I'm sure they have plenty hangers on from Ulster and the West of Scotland who would be mad enough to do something like this.

New Corrie
19-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Admins - is it possible to ban this erse on the strength of the above???

Get over yourself, what on earth are you on about? running to the headmaster? it's a perfectly valid post
Oh please admins, bad man posting bad things about the "Celtic minded"......grow up

Shrekko
19-04-2011, 10:59 PM

Fly with the crows

Didn't think you'd actually be able to stoop as low as this.

We all know what your 'beliefs' are, but I thought even you would know when it's distasteful to condone attempted murder.

Embarrassed that Hibs have even one fan with bigoted views such as yours. Filthy.

Removed
19-04-2011, 11:01 PM

Admins - is it possible to ban this .... on the strength of the above???

Free speech. You might not agree with it but it is allowed.

I don't think the admins ban someone after one post, they run an infraction system and you get a warning first :agree:

basehibby
19-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Where has it been reported that its someone from Scotland that sent them?

"It is believed to have been posted in Ayrshire before being found in a letter box by a postal worker on Friday and taken to a Royal Mail sorting office in Kilwinning, where police were contacted"

From this article:

Pretty Boy
19-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Neil Lennon needs to get as far away from Scotland and Northern Ireland as possible.

I'd like to think he is strong enough to stand up to this kind of behaviour and tough it out but when his, and his families, safety is threatened then it's probably time to go. Sending bullets is one thing and entirely despicable but sending live explosives is just beyond moronic. It's not just the intended targets that were endangered here but memebers of the general public who came into contact with the package.

Yet another incident that reflects poorly on our country. Whatever Neil Lennon and whoever else say regarding football and football related matters is exactly that - a comment about football. The fact that some ****ing idiot is so bigoted as to think this is justification to send explosives is just utterly bewildering to me. Some folk in this country really need to drag themselves out of the 17th century.

basehibby
19-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Free speech. You might not agree with it but it is allowed.

I don't think the admins ban someone after one post, they run an infraction system and you get a warning first :agree:

not always

ArabHibee
19-04-2011, 11:06 PM
"It is believed to have been posted in Ayrshire before being found in a letter box by a postal worker on Friday and taken to a Royal Mail sorting office in Kilwinning, where police were contacted"

From this article:

Cheers for that.:aok:

hibbymac
19-04-2011, 11:06 PM

Fly with the crows

Are you saying they actually deserve to be "blown up" by a terrorist act?

hibs0666
19-04-2011, 11:09 PM
it must be awful for them, i mean the rich "celtic minded" qc who rapes tax payers to keep criminals out of prison getting threatened......shocking::confused:

The celtic manager who threatens heavily pregnant women with violence...shocking:confused:

Fly with the crows

wtf?

Removed
19-04-2011, 11:12 PM
not always

Must have been really bad then for that to happen.

HNA11
19-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Guys and Girls

Can we please keep personal abuse out of this and no bypassing the swear filter either.

It's obviously an issue we all want to discuss and one that might get a bit emotive but lets keep it sensible.

If you're not happy with a post etc then use the report function and the admins will take a look.

Cheers

New Corrie
19-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Are you saying they actually deserve to be "blown up" by a terrorist act?

No, i;m saying it's ironic the outrage given that one of the alleged recipiants has previous for threatening violence and another makes fortunes defending criminals, yet as usual there is this hysterical reaction.

Ed De Gramo
19-04-2011, 11:17 PM

Fly with the crows

wow!

Corrie Greens in a negative Celtic post on .net........has the world suddenly become a strange new place? :rolleyes:

Broken Gnome
19-04-2011, 11:23 PM
No, i;m saying it's ironic the outrage given that one of the alleged recipiants has previous for threatening violence and another makes fortunes defending criminals, yet as usual there is this hysterical reaction.

How can it be a usual reaction when we're talking about the rather unusual footballing event of nail-bombing campaigns. Neil Lennon's as vilified as anyone on here, but it's hardly just a kicking down Ashton Lane that's being dealt with.

Hysteria over bombs and murder plots, hark at us wimps eh. We're allowed to be shocked at Trish Godman's role in this though, yeah?

TRC
19-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Think Lennon has dealt with this kind of thing before. The man is a complete moron however for this to happen to him time and time again is horrific. But I think the board of Celtic should have thought about this when appointing him maybe they did and thought no such thing as bad publicity?

hibbymac
19-04-2011, 11:28 PM

I wouldn't associate irony with the idiom "Fly with the crows"

Prof. Shaggy
19-04-2011, 11:34 PM

In a democracy, someone has to do it.

Removed
19-04-2011, 11:52 PM

The clever ones mibbe? Surely more money being a defence counsel than CPS lawyer :dunno:

CropleyWasGod
20-04-2011, 05:21 AM
How ironic that one of the alleged targets makes copious amounts of money keeping people out of prison....**** him"

Does that mean that anyone who defends alleged criminals is fair game for this type of attack?

IWasThere2016
20-04-2011, 05:49 AM

Like yer pal D Findlay, QC? :wink:

hibsbollah
20-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Its the main item on the UK-wide Today news programme on R4. The Scots will be seen as being sectarian bigots. Shameful.

hibsbollah
20-04-2011, 06:20 AM

Fly with the crows

how this poster gets away with this ***** REGULARLY on here is beyond me.

Dunbar Hibee
20-04-2011, 06:26 AM

Fly with the crows

You belong in the sewers.

Antifa Hibs
20-04-2011, 06:43 AM
How long before tit-for-tat stuff begins? Republicans targetting yer Lafferty's and Naismith's etc.

Ulster appears to be a ticking time bomb. There has been paramilitary activity in Ulster again for a wee while now but alot of it hasn't made mainstream news. Pipe bombs in the court carpark, nail bombs in school play grounds, bank in Derry getting bombed etc. With the visit of the queen to Dublin coming up I can unfortunately see all hell breaking lose over there again.

This has alot more to do with than some annoying ginger greeting faced git. Its centuries of civil war. And its gonaa take alot more than banning a few songs and handing a few fines out to sort this one!

forthhibby
20-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Pat nevin was good on 5live last night, he's been looking into the increase in sectarism in west of Scotland and said the main problems are that both clubs are too busy blaming each other for the problem, they pander to the sectarian element of their fans with subtle references to 'our history' and they are becoming very insular now because no one wants them (epl or Europe).

Antifa Hibs
20-04-2011, 06:44 AM
wow!

Corrie Greens in a negative Celtic post on .net........has the world suddenly become a strange new place? :rolleyes:

Corrie Green may also be surprised (or gutted) to learn that his pals on Follow Follow are saying this is a disgrace.

Killiehibbie
20-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Where has it been reported that its someone from Scotland that sent them?No shortage of suspects in the land that time forgot aka Ayrshire. I think they should round up all the 'settlers' from across the water and send them back to finish their life sentences that they served very little of.

blackpoolhibs
20-04-2011, 07:44 AM
How long before tit-for-tat stuff begins? Republicans targetting yer Lafferty's and Naismith's etc.

Ulster appears to be a ticking time bomb. There has been paramilitary activity in Ulster again for a wee while now but alot of it hasn't made mainstream news. Pipe bombs in the court carpark, nail bombs in school play grounds, bank in Derry getting bombed etc. With the visit of the queen to Dublin coming up I can unfortunately see all hell breaking lose over there again.

This has alot more to do with than some annoying ginger greeting faced git. Its centuries of civil war. And its gonaa take alot more than banning a few songs and handing a few fines out to sort this one!

I have a friend who's from Banbridge (sp)? Him and his new wife went back there to live, she's from wales and they went back to settle there when they were married 3 years ago.

I bumped into them in tesco's last week, and they tell me they have moved back to Blackpool because the (troubles) their words have started up again.

We are only getting a small percentage of the news on the mainland he said, its kicking off all the time apparently?

Newry Hibs
20-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Pat nevin was good on 5live last night, he's been looking into the increase in sectarism in west of Scotland and said the main problems are that both clubs are too busy blaming each other for the problem, they pander to the sectarian element of their fans with subtle references to 'our history' and they are becoming very insular now because no one wants them (epl or Europe).

Or indeed most of Scotland.

I think Lennon gets more problems than other Celtic / NI people because he had the audacity to suggest maybe a 'United Ireland' football team should be considered. Something that doesn't go down well in parts of NI and people have loooooong memories here. Not sure Martin O'Neill got so much attention.

Barney McGrew
20-04-2011, 07:49 AM

It's a very valid point he makes. While I don't think anyone, myself included, can be anything other than utterly horrified in the events reported last night, there's a certain irony that the Celtc support - large sections of which regularly sing songs about organisations that bombed innocent people - will be up in arms this morning about letter bombs that have been sent with the intention of attacking innocent people.

Until both of the OF actually sit back and take some of the responsibility for what goes on in our country instead of blaming it on society in general, then we'll get no closer to removing it.

The Harp
20-04-2011, 07:56 AM

Fly with the crows

I expected your usual bigoted reaction when I saw this thread on here, but you've excelled yourself this time.

blackpoolhibs
20-04-2011, 07:57 AM
It's a very valid point he makes. While I don't think anyone, myself included, can be anything other than utterly horrified in the events reported last night, there's a certain irony that the Celtc support - large sections of which regularly sing songs about organisations that bombed innocent people - will be up in arms this morning about letter bombs that have been sent with the intention of attacking innocent people.

Until both of the OF actually sit back and take some of the responsibility for what goes on in our country instead of blaming it on society in general, then we'll get no closer to removing it.

:agree: And the SFA need to stand up and be strong against both teams too. Although we know thats not going to happen any time soon.

And who can blame them, when the stakes have risen now to letter bombs and death threats?

Nothing will change until both clubs change.

GreenPJ
20-04-2011, 08:03 AM

That will be the QC that has represented Alan McGregor, David Goodwillie amongst numerous others.

Part/Time Supporter
20-04-2011, 08:11 AM

The latest Celtic wheeze is that when they chant about the IRA, they're singing about the version that rose against the British state in 1916 and existed until the 1960s, not the Provos or the more modern splinter groups.

:rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
20-04-2011, 08:12 AM

:grr: :brickwall No, no, no, no - it's its! :wink:

Barney McGrew
20-04-2011, 08:16 AM
The latest Celtic wheeze is that when they chant about the IRA, they're singing about the version that rose against the British state in 1916 and existed until the 1960s, not the Provos or the more modern splinter groups.

:rolleyes:

Aye, I believe that they're now claiming that their rubbish is 'political' rather than 'sectarian'. That makes it OK to sing at a football game a hundred odd years later in an entirely different country.

I'm sure that all the Celtc fans singing it will know the difference between the 1916 version of the IRA rather than the newer version :fibber:

Jim44
20-04-2011, 08:27 AM

Defence lawyers don't defend criminals, they defend the rights of accused people. Whether you consider some of these accused people worthy of these rights of defence is another matter. It's unfair to accuse defence lawyers as a group who attack society through their occupation.

BryanV
20-04-2011, 08:28 AM

Makes a fortune defending criminals? Well I never! What is this previous you speak of? We all know what previous you have and the particular crows you fly with. This is nonsense.

CropleyWasGod
20-04-2011, 08:30 AM
Corrie Green may also be surprised (or gutted) to learn that his pals on Follow Follow are saying this is a disgrace.

A disgrace that the Fenian at the sorting office were allowed to intercept the packages?

swazzie
20-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Fly with the crows

Wow, what a truly horrible and ignorant post

To follow your logic, seeing as you in turn now seem to be condoning violent acts, doesn't it mean that it's now fair game to send parcel bombs to you? It's this sort of view, on both sides, that leads to the downward spiral of hatred and violence that can have no successful outcome. Can't you see that?

Fly with the crows :rolleyes:

Oh, and I can't believe I have to qualify this, but I guess I do, I have no religious axe to grind and think one side is as bad as the other, but just from a common decency standpoint, I find this sort of view repugnant, uneducated and vile with no place in modern society

hibs0666
20-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Wow, what a truly horrible and ignorant post

To follow your logic, seeing as you in turn now seem to be condoning violent acts, doesn't it mean that it's now fair game to send parcel bombs to you? It's this sort of view, on both sides, that leads to the downward spiral of hatred and violence that can have no successful outcome. Can't you see that?

Fly with the crows :rolleyes:

Oh, and I can't believe I have to qualify this, but I guess I do, I have no religious axe to grind and think one side is as bad as the other, but just from a common decency standpoint, I find this sort of view repugnant, uneducated and vile with no place in modern society

That post definitely makes it into the hibs.net most vile top 10, and may even hit the top spot.

Hope the guy is pwoud.

sambajustice
20-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Not to make light on the subject but I had to read your first sentence about 4 times before it sank in because i was sure you had written "Pat Nevin was looking into increasing Sectarianism..." :greengrin

I was thinking to myself, that cant be right, why would he want to increase sectarianism??? LOL

Oh, Corrie Greens = Fud

sambajustice
20-04-2011, 08:57 AM
That post definitely makes it into the hibs.net most vile top 10, and may even hit the top spot.

Hope the guy is pwoud.

Are you sure you've not read that guys post wrong??

mickki40
20-04-2011, 09:06 AM
I find it extremely distasteful that people would do this, but not suprised. Given the medias constant upping of the ante where the old firm are concerned, it will only breed extremists. I want the media to come out and condemn those people responsible, whoever they are. I also want them to condemn any similar actions with regard to any similar type threats which will now inevitably come to Walter Smith. This is a game of football. It would be good to see the S.F.A. Speak out most vociferously against the supporters of both clubs who continue to sing their bigoted/sectarian chants, and for once take decisive action to eradicate these people from the terraces. If they continue to show hatred for each other keep giving them fines till they become the architects of their own demise. I hate Neil Lennon not because he is Celtic's manager, but because he is a whinging git. And I still wouldn't condone people sending him suspect devices.

lapsedhibee
20-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Are you sure you've not read that guys post wrong??

He was referring to the post that the guy was posting about, not the guy's post.

And it's guy's! :wink:

sambajustice
20-04-2011, 10:06 AM
He was referring to the post that the guy was posting about, not the guy's post.

And it's guy's! :wink:

Phew!

I'm just glad i'm a Hib's supporter and not a fan of the old firm!!!

ArabHibee
20-04-2011, 11:01 AM
This happened 3 or 4 weeks ago. Why is it only being announced now, days before the last rantic game of the season?

Golden Bear
20-04-2011, 11:05 AM
This happened 3 or 4 weeks ago. Why is it only being announced now, days before the last rantic game of the season?

The police requested a news blackout pending the outcome of their enquiries.

A news conference is scheduled for today so presumably further details will be announced.

20-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Absolutly disgusting.

Don't get me wrong, a hate Lennon as much as the next person but this is way to far and is dragging Scottish football through the **** (as if it wasn't bad enough already!)

I agree, sometimes Lennon doesn't do a lot to help himself but regardless, absolutly nothing deserves the extreme levels of abuse he recives (death threats, explosive packages, bullets, family threats etc etc)

MB62
20-04-2011, 11:33 AM
What these complete and utter :asshole: :asshole: who send these things don't realise is, it is NEVER the people who they are aiming their bombs at that open the mail, it is some innocent person e.g. secretary or personal assistant that does it and end up getting maimed or worse. Neither Lennon nor Godman nor McBride or ANYBODY ELSE in a similar position will ever open their own mail so these things are pointless.

ArabHibee
20-04-2011, 11:34 AM
The police requested a news blackout pending the outcome of their enquiries.

A news conference is scheduled for today so presumably further details will be announced.
Fair enough on the news blackout, but couldn't they have waited til next week, after the game? Or has this been leaked and that's why they're now having an official news conference?

Dinkydoo
20-04-2011, 11:55 AM
The problem here is that secterianism has, over the years, been deemed by most as unacceptable behaviour in a civilised society, with the football being the only place where people can still get away with it.

As long as the SFA continue to turn a blind eye to the knuckle draggers that follow Rangers and Celtic and the media carry on trying to stir things up between the OF to create a "better" (more hostile) atmosphere for the derbies, things like this will continue to happen and juding by the worrying situation in NI at the moment, will probably get worse.

Without the SFA and Police taking a complete zero tolerance approach - lifetime bans to all who participate in secterian behaviour at games and points docked from thier respective teams - and the media naming, shaming and demonstrating thier disgust at those involved, then the troubles across the water (which really don't have anything to do with 21st century football; irrespective of whatever your team's supposed history is) will never disappear from our game.

We all have a joint responsibility to rid Scottish football from these mentalists, they are after all Scotland's shame.

Part/Time Supporter
20-04-2011, 12:47 PM
What these complete and utter :asshole: :asshole: who send these things don't realise is, it is NEVER the people who they are aiming their bombs at that open the mail, it is some innocent person e.g. secretary or personal assistant that does it and end up getting maimed or worse. Neither Lennon nor Godman nor McBride or ANYBODY ELSE in a similar position will ever open their own mail so these things are pointless.

You're making the mistake of crediting the knuckle-draggers with some intelligence.

Speedway
20-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Many a true word spoken in jest.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/scottish-premier-league-to-award-three-points-for-murder-201104203738/

Dashing Bob S
20-04-2011, 06:48 PM
We're jumping to conclusions condemning Huns. The culprits are as likely to have been St Johnstone or Dunfermline supporters. After all, as the SFA and Rangers continually stress, the problem of sectarianismis right across Scottish Football, so let's just do nothing about it.

HibeeSince85
20-04-2011, 07:40 PM
We're jumping to conclusions condemning Huns. The culprits are as likely to have been St Johnstone or Dunfermline supporters. After all, as the SFA and Rangers continually stress, the problem of sectarianismis right across Scottish Football, so let's just do nothing about it.

Sectarianism in Scottish football is confined within our 2 biggest clubs.

And we set up all these think tanks to ask ourselves why we're up this creek!

basehibby
20-04-2011, 08:15 PM
:grr: :brickwall No, no, no, no - it's its! :wink:

:hide:

NOLA
20-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Not sure if its the case, but is Lennon under police protection of some sort, he had death threats as a player for Northern Ireland, then bullets sent in the post, now this, lennon isnt my most favoured scottish football personality by a long way but im guessing this stuff only drives him on to be a success in his job.

Hibs Class
20-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Not sure if its the case, but is Lennon under police protection of some sort, he had death threats as a player for Northern Ireland, then bullets sent in the post, now this, lennon isnt my most favoured scottish football personality by a long way but im guessing this stuff only drives him on to be a success in his job.

I'm not sure about that. I think this must take a toll on him. Whilst his public persona is pretty despicable and he doesn't do himself any favours with his behaviour, I've heard many stories of how decent he is out of the public gaze. If this sort of activity continues I think he's bound to pack it in.

hibsbollah
20-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure about that. I think this must take a toll on him. Whilst his public persona is pretty despicable and he doesn't do himself any favours with his behaviour, I've heard many stories of how decent he is out of the public gaze. If this sort of activity continues I think he's bound to pack it in.

Agree. He's also suffered from depression for years. Its got to be taking its toll.

Houchy
20-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Who's saying he has brought it upon himself?

dp00
20-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Hope the idiots who sent this are found... Yeah he is moaning git but at end of day he is someones dad, uncle, brother and son they are the real victims if anything happened. No one deserves to receive death threats and I hope he does not let them win.. And for what its worth I've also been told he is an absolute gentleman out the limelite and also does loads of charity work for various charitys... Many folk are idiots at there work but does not make them a bad person out of work nor does it mean they should receive a bomb in the post

cabbageandribs1875
21-04-2011, 12:05 AM

Fly with the crows

been a very long time coming, tata :bye::applause:

HNA6
21-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Neil Lennon has always seemed a fairly dour and at times angry person to me.

Not unlike a good few people I've met in my lifetime.

I don't paricularly like the way Gordon Strachan comes across on the TV or the way Barry Ferguson acts on a football park.

The point is though, I have no idea what Neil Lennon, Gordon Strachan or Barry Ferguson are like in every day life or whether they are good or bad people.

What I do know about Neil Lennon is that he was brought up in a society of hatred where most catholics would pledge their allegience to the republic of ireland as opposed to northern ireland; the country/provence of their birth. Neil Lennon opted to play for northern ireland and did so ~40 times ultimately being captain before he retired due to death threats by people of a different faith who didn't want a catholic to play for northern ireland.

He is now experiencing not just death threats but genuine attempts on his life, for what crime I do not know?

Its heartening that most of the posts on this thread express outrage at these death threats but it is disappointing that some posters seem to have tried to partly justify the acions of the lunatics responsible by saying that 'Neil Lennon is this or that but he doesn't deserve.....'. There is no justification for these actions.

There is a poster on this thread who is quite obiously a bigot. There is no need to name him as everyone knows who it is. What I can't understand is how Hibs.net allows his person to continue to post their bigotry on this board.We have not allowed "this person" to continue to post on hibs.net.. he was banned from hibs.net around 15hrs before you posted this ..

What I cant understand is for all your concerns with regards his bigotry on here Admin never recieved any reported posts from you.

IWasThere2016
21-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Good decision, well done admins :agree:

Antifa Hibs
21-04-2011, 07:11 AM
I have a friend who's from Banbridge (sp)? Him and his new wife went back there to live, she's from wales and they went back to settle there when they were married 3 years ago.

I bumped into them in tesco's last week, and they tell me they have moved back to Blackpool because the (troubles) their words have started up again.

We are only getting a small percentage of the news on the mainland he said, its kicking off all the time apparently?

If you check the BBC N.I page there's generally a story about bombs etc every day.

Two from yesterday
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13150360
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-13142036

If this continues, no doubt the British Army will be back across and before you know it we'll have the 60's and 70's all over again!

lapsedhibee
21-04-2011, 07:17 AM
If you check the BBC N.I page there's generally a story about bombs etc every day.

Two from yesterday
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13150360
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-13142036

If this continues, no doubt the British Army will be back across and before you know it we'll have the 60's and 70's all over again!

If that happens, I hope Jim Black does better against Dixie "John" Deans in the cup final. :agree:

The Harp
21-04-2011, 07:37 AM
We have not allowed "this person" to continue to post on hibs.net.. he was banned from hibs.net around 15hrs before you posted this ..

What I cant understand is for all your concerns with regards his bigotry on here Admin never recieved any reported posts from you.

I think we've all become accustomed to extreme comments from "this person", whenever a thread like this one is on the board. It's never good to hear of someone being banned on here but this poster's brought it upon himself IMO.

hibbymac
21-04-2011, 07:44 AM
I think we've all become accustomed to extreme comments from "this person", whenever a thread like this one is on the board. It's never good to hear of someone being banned on here but this poster's brought it upon himself IMO.

:agree: Fly with the crows!

hibsbollah
21-04-2011, 08:22 AM
If that happens, I hope Jim Black does better against Dixie "John" Deans in the cup final. :agree:

...And the moon landings all over again will make good TV.

Phil D. Rolls
21-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I think it's most likely that this has been done by some sad individual rather some organised group. Although it is despicable, the reaction from some quarters has been hysterical.

I think it is time for everyone to take a deep breath, and send some oxygen to their brains. I heard Martin Hannan on the radio yesterday, and he was ranting and raving.

Shrekko
21-04-2011, 09:21 AM
I think it's most likely that this has been done by some sad individual rather some organised group. Although it is despicable, the reaction from some quarters has been hysterical.

I think it is time for everyone to take a deep breath, and send some oxygen to their brains. I heard Martin Hannan on the radio yesterday, and he was ranting and raving.

I've seen people on here get 'hysterical' about far more minor matters :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
21-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I've seen people on here get 'hysterical' about far more minor matters :wink:

It's never a good idea to be hysterical about anything though.

Kaiser1962
21-04-2011, 04:52 PM
It's never a good idea to be hysterical about anything though.

There are times when it matters little.

FWIW my tuppence worth is that both halves of the Old Firm (the clues in the name!) have sold sectarianism as a commodity over the years. They have grown strong on the back of bigotry and discrimination and manipulated others age old fears for their financial benefit.

For years they have, perhaps indirectly but IMO very deliberatetly, aligned themselves with, and given tacit support to, the men of terror on either side. Dundee Utd or ourselves are not subject to the same anti Catholic agenda that Celtic are subject too? Why would that be? We have probably the highest profile openly Catholic citizen as our owner and have our roots and history far more entrenched in the emerald isle than Celtic, whose history is firmly in Leith.

Its ironic that the whole thing escalated about a decision between Celtic and United. I will await the result of any investigation before I fully make my mind up over this one and I will not be surprised whatever comes to light as both these stains are capable of absolutely anything.

sambajustice
21-04-2011, 07:54 PM
We have not allowed "this person" to continue to post on hibs.net.. he was banned from hibs.net around 15hrs before you posted this ..

Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!
Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead!

:whistle::partyhibb:music:

FromTheCapital
22-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Shocking. Ok, I'm not a huge fan of Neil Lennon but this is a disgrace,
Football is a game of passion and emotions, Not bombs and weapons.
Rangers and Hearts have took it too far this season with their racist and religous chants.
I hope others realise this and get these loonatics destoying our game sorted.