PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re taking kids to away games.

Bristolhibby
19-04-2011, 06:53 AM
I am up with the family, visiting family on the weekend of the 7th May.

Was contemplating taking my 2 year old through to the Hamilton game.

Can he get a "lift over" for free, or do I need to stump up £15 for a game he will hardly watch?

Cheers for anyone's past experience.

J

greenlex
19-04-2011, 07:03 AM
You won't get a lift over but I would reckon with both teams with little to play for with Hamilton already relegated I would be surprised if the pricing isn't reduced to entice a bigger crowd

Green Man
19-04-2011, 07:14 AM
The only time I've ever had a lift over was at the old Douglas Park. I think it must have been about to die out by that point because it never happened at Easter Road. I remember my dad lifting me over the turnstile and me wondering what was going on :greengrin

The Harp
19-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Good on you for wanting to take your youngster to see the Hibs.:aok: Looks like it'll be Hamilton's second last game in the Premier for a while so they could reduce their admission for kids (which I think is normally £10) but I would doubt it.
'Lift -overs' happened regularly at ER and elsewhere when I was a laddie, but the Yams ended this freebie quite a bit before us ... there's a surprise eh. :faf:
Hope your 2 year old enjoys the game. :aok:

Andy74
19-04-2011, 08:26 AM

Can he get a "lift over" for free, or do I need to stump up £15 for a game he will hardly watch?

J

I've had a couple of arguments at turnstiles in the last couple of years but have never had to pay yet for the wee one. Although getting tougher now she is 4!

Carry him in and let them know he's just 2 and will be on your knee. You can always chuck in a wee white lie that you called the club midweek and they said it would be fine.

Wheat Hound
19-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Last season at Hamilton I walked my four year old through for nought after telling the turnstile operator she would sit on my knee. There were no probs with it. Depends on who you get working but I've always managed liftovers.

AFKA5814_Hibs
19-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Maybe they'll make it a kids day and let them in for free.

iwasthere1972
19-04-2011, 10:31 AM

J

Is it just me? Can't see the point of dragging a 2 year old along to a match when he/she won't have a scooby doo where he/she is and what 22 people running around on a field are doing. Best get a babysitter (if you can) and enjoy the match yourself.

nonshinyfinish
19-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Maybe they'll make it a kids day and let them in for free.

:tee hee:

Andy74
19-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Is it just me? Can't see the point of dragging a 2 year old along to a match when he/she won't have a scooby doo where he/she is and what 22 people running around on a field are doing. Best get a babysitter (if you can) and enjoy the match yourself.

They do enjoy the surroundings and becoming part of the support though. My daughter cares not a jot about the game but she loves going to the shop before the game, meeting the mascot, getting her face painted, wearing the strip and seeing and hearing the crowds. And spending a day with her Dad without her Mum telling her off for stuff of course!

She first went at about 2 and she was fascinated with it all and a couple of years later loves all the Hibs stuff. Living in Livingston that's an invaluable start!

Bristolhibby
19-04-2011, 01:01 PM

He is part of the approvals process.

It is far easier for my wife not to moan that I am buggering off to the game if I take the wee guy.

Problem is there is a good chance that he will be bored rigid.

To be continued, me thinks.

J

BroxburnHibee
19-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Motherwell & Dundee Utd are 2 grounds I've managed to get the kid in for free in the past. Be amazed if they charge for a 2 year old.

HUTCHYHIBBY
19-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Has the poor wee kid been misbehaving?

kennyh
19-04-2011, 04:44 PM
You will be able to lift him over unless you get a right numpty at the turnstile, I have done it a few times with my lad.
As I live here when Hibs were first over after Accies came into the SPL I went to the shop to see about liftovers and the guy said normally it would be fine but as our first trip was classified as a CAT A game he couldnt guarantee it as police would be at the turnstiles. I bought T's and of course there were no cops at the gate so I could have carried him in after all.....
He has been lifted him over twice at Accies and nobody bothered.

Wish you could do it at Hibs !!

The Harp
19-04-2011, 08:10 PM
They do enjoy the surroundings and becoming part of the support though. My daughter cares not a jot about the game but she loves going to the shop before the game, meeting the mascot, getting her face painted, wearing the strip and seeing and hearing the crowds. And spending a day with her Dad without her Mum telling her off for stuff of course!

She first went at about 2 and she was fascinated with it all and a couple of years later loves all the Hibs stuff. Living in Livingston that's an invaluable start!

I'm with you on this one. I took my son and daughter to games from an early age. My daughter's first game was v M'well in the early 80's and she thoroughly enjoyed it (that's what she told me anyway:wink:) even tho she fell asleep early in the 2nd half of a boring draw. If she reads this I'm in trouble!:rolleyes:

Bristolhibby
26-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Have decided not to take the wee guy. Spoke to my Missus who said flatly "no, he would be bored rigid". (Think she may be right).

So it looks like it is just me, my Dan and cousin going. On the plus side, the wee cousin is driving, so I can have a few beers pre match.

Anyone know where is good for a pint before the game?

Never been to New Douglas Park before. I have been through to Firhill many moons ago when they were playing in Partick, (League Cup game when we were in the 1st Division, August I think).

Cheers

J

kennyh
26-04-2011, 11:05 AM
3 pubs very close.

As you are driving I assume you will park at the big council car park. Walk through the Sainsburys car park towards Mcdonalds and over the road at the cross roads is the first of three local pubs.

Vaults

Tap Room

Bar West

Take your pick...