Now this would be interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/13116378.stm

R'Albin
18-04-2011, 05:39 PM
"Some other proposals included in the SPL's strategic plan include:

The national team's Fifa ranking to improve from 66th to 15th within five years
The SPL's coefficient ranking to improve from 16th to 10th in five years"
Can't see that happening.

Although(doubt many will agree) i think a British league instead of the Cis cup would be good:thumbsup:

GreenCastle
18-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Interesting idea yes - will it happen... probably not due to England leagues not needing Scotland as much as Scottish leagues needing England's teams.

Still not happy about the 10 team idea - step in the wrong direction - have made my view on here several times before.

Regarding the points in the article - from BBC website...

The national team's Fifa ranking to improve from 66th to 15th within five years - Can't see this happening with the way the league is right now and development of players

The SPL's coefficient ranking to improve from 16th to 10th in five years explain how we plan to achieve this ?

Broadcasting revenues to increase by 50% in five years where is this moeny going - equal between all league teams?

The Scottish Football Association to make payments to clubs when players are on international duty more money to the bigger teams ?

bighairyfaeleith
18-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Final vote to be mid may. I think its about time we started telling hibs what we think about a ten team league

frazeHFC
18-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Final vote to be mid may. I think its about time we started telling hibs what we think about a ten team league

Only a few games left to voice our thoughts on it. :wink:

Now a British League Cup, now that would be good!!!

Paisley Hibby
18-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Interesting idea yes - will it happen... probably not due to England leagues not needing Scotland as much as Scottish leagues needing England's teams.

Still not happy about the 10 team idea - step in the wrong direction - have made my view on here several times before.

The national team's Fifa ranking to improve from 66th to 15th within five years - Can't see this happening with the way the league is right now and

development of players

The SPL's coefficient ranking to improve from 16th to 10th in five years explain how we plan to achieve this ?

Broadcasting revenues to increase by 50% in five years where is this moeny going - equal between all league teams?

The Scottish Football Association to make payments to clubs when players are on international duty more money to the bigger teams ?

But if SKY sees something in the idea you can bet the English clubs will be interested. Something that might give SKY more interesting live Summer football?

Stonewall
18-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Probably had the ideal opportunity to do this a few years back when Coca Cola sponsored both League Cup competitions but guess what, nothing happened.

libernian
18-04-2011, 06:13 PM
league cup wud be good...

tho dont know if english clubs wud be up for it.. then again the engtlish league cup until the final round is pretty meaningless. also think english footy has peaked, pretty sure germany will be the best soon

Jack
18-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Rangers on EUFA sectairn charges.

Manchester needing rebuilt.

The only way I can see anything British happening would be if it excluded those clubs that qualify for Europe – namely the OF.

Then there may be a problem of the other Scottish club(s) that did qualify for Europe would not want to play in it because the English / Welsh / NI / Ireland games might be most cost effective with a greater prospect of progression. [Actually I quite like the sound of that :greengrin]

Lmc2105
18-04-2011, 06:31 PM
As much as it would be great to have an British Cup could you imagine the possibility of crowd trouble!!

Imagine us at home to Leeds Portsmouth Or Milwall or even worse away!!

still would be a cracking trip am sure!

frazeHFC
18-04-2011, 06:37 PM
As much as it would be great to have an British Cup could you imagine the possibility of crowd trouble!!

Imagine us at home to Leeds Portsmouth Or Milwall or even worse away!!

still would be a cracking trip am sure!

That's what i thought.

Joe
18-04-2011, 06:44 PM
British league cup sounds interesting. It certainly would be a pretty good money spinner if we could draw one of the bigger English clubs but at the same time it would mean the only chance we would realistically have of winning anything would be the Scottish cup.

In essence Hibs would never win anything ever again :boo hoo:

blairwallace
18-04-2011, 07:20 PM
a British league?! but wouldn't that not make the scottish cup a "wee cup" meaning the Big team won a "wee cup"?!?!?! :protest:

JE89
18-04-2011, 07:37 PM

The national team's Fifa ranking to improve from 66th to 15th within five years
The SPL's coefficient ranking to improve from 16th to 10th in five years"

Don't forget;

Broadcasting revenues to increase by 50% in five years

All three sound like a bunch of school children planning playground domination from a treehouse.
I plan on the winning the lottery within 5 years :faf:

Mikey
18-04-2011, 08:47 PM
A British League is the ultimate answer but we would lose the national team so it's unlikely to ever happen.

A British League Cup would be great but it would almost certainly be seeded and England's big teams would be unlikely to take it seriously. But it would only be good for Hibs if the fans buy into it.

discman
18-04-2011, 09:11 PM

The national team's Fifa ranking to improve from 66th to 15th within five years - Can't see this happening with the way the league is right now and development of players

The question should be where is the money coming from?

The PWC accounts of the SPL august 2010, what the SPL received on media and tv deals,collectively, was £13mill, whilst EPL clubs received £45mill each!

So to increase our broadcasting revenues by 50% in 5 years, that would be.............. £19.5 mill unless Ive got that totally wrong :confused:

The British League Cup is a way to increase the SPL profile south of the border and to tap into the loads of money thats swilling about down there

Only problem is why would they want to? :dunno:

Sir David Gray
18-04-2011, 09:28 PM
A British League is the ultimate answer but we would lose the national team so it's unlikely to ever happen.

A British League Cup would be great but it would almost certainly be seeded and England's big teams would be unlikely to take it seriously. But it would only be good for Hibs if the fans buy into it.

I would say that anything British-based, including the introduction of a British League Cup, would likely spell the end for the Scottish national team. I believe there's already people within FIFA who wish to see an end to the independent teams for the countries that make up the UK and I would say that a move like this would bring that issue to the surface again.

Apart from anything else, I don't see that England's teams would be interested in this proposal in the slightest and I think it's a complete non-starter.

The governing bodies in Scotland need to work on improving the game in Scotland without having to join up with England.

cabbageandribs1875
18-04-2011, 09:42 PM
imagine if the most british of british clubs, the mighty glesca rangers, were barred from playing in a british cup because of there bigotry/sectarianism :faf:

ballengeich
18-04-2011, 10:13 PM
The SPL seems to have the same inability to distinguish between an aspiration and a plan as all the parties standing for the Scottish parliament in a couple of weeks. There's absolutely nothing about how they'll achieve their objectives.

ScottB
18-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Don't see the point really, and it takes away one of the two trophies we have a hope in hell of actually winning.

For me, the answer is a 16 team league, playing each other twice, with a league cup with added regional group stages to give the TV companies the much needed 4 Old Firm matches a season.

The goals stated are all well and good, but have they made any attempt to explain how having a 10 team league will bring this about now when it failed to make things better last time?

And don't even get me started on the 'we are doing it for the fans' crap.

libernian
19-04-2011, 12:45 AM
thinkin about it it woudl pretty good. even if it was just some championship or league 1 team.

wud be more interesting hibs v norwich or sumthin or hibs v newcastle somethuing like that... wud be more interesting that hibs v arbroath too.

wud defo be a gd crowd.

rossi
19-04-2011, 01:24 AM
More I hear/see of Doncaster the more I think he is an old firm stooge. British cup is a sweetener for those against the Of's 10 team league and a toe in the door for them into English football.

Ritchie
19-04-2011, 06:30 AM

Why would we loose the national team though?

There are Canadian teams in the MLS but there is still a USA and Canadian National team.

Also, look at cardiff and Swansea!! That hasn't resulted in Wales losing their national team.

Never understood that theory.

marinello59
19-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Don't see the point really, and it takes away one of the two trophies we have a hope in hell of actually winning.

For me, the answer is a 16 team league, playing each other twice, with a league cup with added regional group stages to give the TV companies the much needed 4 Old Firm matches a season.

The goals stated are all well and good, but have they made any attempt to explain how having a 10 team league will bring this about now when it failed to make things better last time?

And don't even get me started on the 'we are doing it for the fans' crap.

Our league cup is relatively successful because it is a simple case of ties being decided on the night. Group stages were ditched from the competition before because the whole concept was mind numbingly boring. That failed yet you go on to dismiss a ten team league because that failed to improve things before.:confused:
Why a 16 team league rather than an 18 team league by the way? Is that an acknowledgment that as things stand we do not have enough strength in depth to expand the league that far?

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2011, 06:50 AM

I think it's scaremongering.

down the slope
19-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Our league cup is relatively successful because it is a simple case of ties being decided on the night. Group stages were ditched from the competition before because the whole concept was mind numbingly boring. That failed yet you go on to dismiss a ten team league because that failed to improve things before.:confused:
Why a 16 team league rather than an 18 team league by the way? Is that an acknowledgment that as things stand we do not have enough strength in depth to expand the league that far?

There will always be boring games in every league and that is a fact , Doncaster and Petrie want to turn our league into a lottery for those at the bottom hoping that anxiety about your league position will foster excitement in some sort of weird way. All this will do is make teams set out not to get beat and you will see everyone outside the OF playing one up front with the rest behind the ball-it will be mind numbing. You have to have some slackness in whatever structure you come up with , Doncaster said on the radio yesterday that it was now time for the dissenters to come up with some proposals and you do not have to look far for an example that works and from a similar sized country to our own.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tippeligaen
Please excuse the length of the link but you can see the gist of it is 16 teams with two relegated with an extra one if you get done in the play offs. The only difference is their league is not skewed by the likes of the OF.

SteveHFC
19-04-2011, 07:51 AM
ENGLISH football chiefs have hatched secret plans to invite SPL clubs into the Carling Cup.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3534339/Carling-plan.html

marinello59
19-04-2011, 07:56 AM
There will always be boring games in every league and that is a fact , Doncaster and Petrie want to turn our league into a lottery for those at the bottom hoping that anxiety about your league position will foster excitement in some sort of weird way. All this will do is make teams set out not to get beat and you will see everyone outside the OF playing one up front with the rest behind the ball-it will be mind numbing. You have to have some slackness in whatever structure you come up with , Doncaster said on the radio yesterday that it was now time for the dissenters to come up with some proposals and you do not have to look far for an example that works and from a similar sized country to our own.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tippeligaen
Please excuse the length of the link but you can see the gist of it is 16 teams with two relegated with an extra one if you get done in the play offs. The only difference is their league is not skewed by the likes of the OF.

A straight 16 team league only offers 30 league games, the loss of revenue would be catastrophic. An 18 team league could work but I don't think we can go straight to that stage without providing support for teams currently in the First Division to raise their standards over several seasons. There is no quick fix really is there?

bingo70
19-04-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't see what scottish football would gain from this, all it's likely to do is highlight how much better english football is than Scottish and drive football fans further away from Scottish football and towards the premiership? They've got billions more money invested in there game and have a bigger population by about £50m so having a worse league than them is nothing to be ashamed of but all it would likely lead to is more ridicule of our game and thats the last thing we need just now.

IMO one of the problems with Scottish sport is this constant need to compare ourselves to the English when it's about a million miles from a level playing field, thats one of the reasons i think we would benefit from moving to a summer league so we're not competing with the premiership for TV coverage so we could try and get back to some normal times for kick off.

johnrebus
19-04-2011, 08:00 AM
:rolleyes:
ENGLISH football chiefs have hatched secret plans to invite SPL clubs into the Carling Cup.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3534339/Carling-plan.html

Yeah.

They can't wait to have the bigoted mobs swarming around their town and city centres..............,

Will never happen.

marinello59
19-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't see what scottish football would gain from this, all it's likely to do is highlight how much better english football is than Scottish and drive football fans further away from Scottish football and towards the premiership? They've got billions more money invested in there game and have a bigger population by about £50m so having a worse league than them is nothing to be ashamed of but all it would likely lead to is more ridicule of our game and thats the last thing we need just now.

IMO one of the problems with Scottish sport is this constant need to compare ourselves to the English when it's about a million miles from a level playing field, thats one of the reasons i think we would benefit from moving to a summer league so we're not competing with the premiership for TV coverage so we could try and get back to some normal times for kick off.
:top marks

GloryGlory
19-04-2011, 08:15 AM

There are Canadian teams in the MLS but there is still a USA and Canadian National team.Also, look at cardiff and Swansea!! That hasn't resulted in Wales losing their national team.

They're both sovereign nations. We're not.

greenlex
19-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Too many games as it is. The only way I see it working is to carry on till we get to the last 16 in Scotland and England then draw it from there. Good incentive fir a smaller Scottish club to maybe draw a Man U or Chelsea.

derekduval
19-04-2011, 10:03 AM
A straight 16 team league only offers 30 league games, the loss of revenue would be catastrophic. An 18 team league could work but I don't think we can go straight to that stage without providing support for teams currently in the First Division to raise their standards over several seasons. There is no quick fix really is there?

With less league games would this give the old firm a chance to do their own thing us too such as preseason friendlies mini tournaments?

Who wants to see kilmarnock 4 times a season?

ScottB
19-04-2011, 10:11 AM

16 teams isn't enough games, so boosting the league cup is the answer to that. 18 could work, but I would be concerned that that would leave little strength in the leagues below the SPL. I think there's enough decent teams to have a 16 team topflight and still have some decent competition in division 1.

easty
19-04-2011, 10:22 AM
16 teams isn't enough games, so boosting the league cup is the answer to that. 18 could work, but I would be concerned that that would leave little strength in the leagues below the SPL. I think there's enough decent teams to have a 16 team topflight and still have some decent competition in division 1.

I'd disagree with that. Hamilton are a top flight club at the moment and they are humpty. They'll have a decent shout at coming straight back up though, as the 1st division is crap.

Earl of Currie
19-04-2011, 10:28 AM
I dont see why we cant have it all.

A 16 team league gives 30 matches.

An enhanced Scottish Cup ( in a Champions League style in 8 groups of 4, 2 from SPL and 2 other qualifiers) gives 6 guranteed games. It also gives 16 other teams (from whatever division) 6 guaranteed games 4 of which are against SPL opposition. Theoretically , the SPL should go through to the knock out stages , last 16 and so on.

The British League Cup would be the bonus. Particularly for the clubs who dont get into Europe ( The Europa League is not the money spinner yet) and particularly for the Old Firm who will have a greater chance of winning this & making money from this that their European particiapation.

It is a win-win situation for everyone , to be honest , or am I being too simplistic.

marinello59
19-04-2011, 10:41 AM

An enhanced Scottish Cup ( in a Champions League style in 8 groups of 4, 2 from SPL and 2 other qualifiers) gives 6 guranteed games. It also gives 16 other teams (from whatever division) 6 guaranteed games 4 of which are against SPL opposition. Theoretically , the SPL should go through to the knock out stages , last 16 and so on.

The British League Cup would be the bonus. Particularly for the clubs who dont get into Europe ( The Europa League is not the money spinner yet) and particularly for the Old Firm who will have a greater chance of winning this & making money from this that their European particiapation.

It is a win-win situation for everyone , to be honest , or am I being too simplistic.

Why will it be attractive to start a cup competition with a league format when was dumped years ago from the league cup because it had totally lost any interest for fans? The real competition would not start until the knockout stages kicked in. Fans and TV would practically ignore the early stages.

Phil MaGlass
19-04-2011, 10:46 AM

as soon as you have group stages and a team loses their first two games fans will stop going to watch.

What format would it take? at the moment cup top ups can hope for anything from 1-6 games, if youre in a British(cough,splutter puke) Cup you will come up against tougher opposition than in Scotland and then be out on yir erchie after maybe the first game, were not a nation bursting at the seems with talented clubs or too many talented players.IMO we would be easy meat for the english teams.

Bugger Marinello beat me to it.

Wakeyhibee
19-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but

Would effectively nulify the only realistic trophy that non OF teams can win, yes the Scottish Cup has been elsewhere but rarely because the OF don't value the CIS as much. Add English teams and a renewed interest in the OF and the main chance of a trophy of any kind would be gone.

Long term I doubt this would boost the coffers of anyone bar the OF we are too far behind to compete to a level where the money is good ie 2nd/3rd round British vs semi final/Final CIS.

Seeded/last 16 ideas? couldn't be equal as Scotland is much smaller but maybe 14 v 2 Scottish teams and guess who that would be?

Love the thought of these games but in this age would just be a laughing stock without any real extra income being generated.

If the extra cash/sponsorship was there and shared to a level Hibs could attain and improve with then I'd be more interested. As it stands can only see the OF benefiting

Jack
19-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Would a British League Cup necessarily lead to the demise of the Scottish one?

The final of the Scottish one used to be held in December so with a bit of a shove, and without the participation of the Euro clubs, could even be slightly earlier.

One thought that has just sprung to mind is; when would these British League Cup games be played given there should be no top domestic games being played at the same time as the CL and Europa? What TV coverage would there be when pitched against that anyway? That’s Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday oot! League game on a Friday night, British League Cup Monday night???

Sir David Gray
19-04-2011, 11:53 AM

There are Canadian teams in the MLS but there is still a USA and Canadian National team.

Also, look at cardiff and Swansea!! That hasn't resulted in Wales losing their national team.

Canada is an independent nation, Scotland isn't.

As for Cardiff and Swansea, Wales doesn't have a professional league system (Scotland does) and there's always been an agreement that those two clubs (along with Wrexham) could play in the English league system.

There's a lot of people within FIFA, and also people who come from autonomous areas around the world who aren't allowed to play full international matches and become members of FIFA, who look at the situation in the UK and see England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland having their own independent football teams, despite none of them being independent nations and places like the Basque region or Catalonia, who are effectively in a similar boat to Scotland etc, are excluded from being members of FIFA.

If Scottish/English teams were to set up a Pan-British League Cup tournament, I believe these people would start to lobby for the separate national teams in the UK to be scrapped and for the UK to be represented at FIFA/UEFA sanctioned tournaments by one team.

ScottB
19-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I'd disagree with that. Hamilton are a top flight club at the moment and they are humpty. They'll have a decent shout at coming straight back up though, as the 1st division is crap.

Are Raith, Dunfermline, Falkirk et all any worse than Hamilton? Nope, and all would bring decent crowds too.

Why would we want a division of evenly matched clubs anyway? Surely the point is that a bigger league would give the bigger clubs such as ourselves, Hearts, Dundee United etc a pretty much cast iron guarantee of safety, giving us the ability to plan long term, giving the confidence to risk blooding young players etc. In a 10 team league we could well have gone down this season, think we'd be risking chucking guys like Booth or Stephens into that? No chance, and the same will be true elsewhere.

A ten team league will wreck both the club and national game in this country frankly, thankfully at least some of the teams seem to recognise this.

Diclonius
19-04-2011, 11:56 AM
If this went ahead I'd propose the top 20 teams from each country -

Scotland - Entire SPL (presumably 10 team) and 1-10 in SPL2.
England - 1-17 in Premiership and the three promoted teams from last season.
Wales - Entire Welsh Premier League (12 teams) and the top 4 in the two second teirs.
Northern Ireland - Entire IFA Premiership (12 teams) and 1-8 in IFA Championship 1.

From there we could have a preiminary round, reducing the teams to 40 and then 8 groups of 5 UEFA Cup style, with the winners going through to the quarter finals.

Two legged semis and the final at a neutral venue which alternates between the national stadiums every year. Sorted. :aok:

Gatecrasher
19-04-2011, 12:01 PM
i wonder why that they would wish to propose such a tourney when they arent even willing to take part in a british team for the 2012 Olympics :confused:

it would also take away one of our only real chances at silverware.

on the other hand if done correctly it would be brilliant to play against the English teams, as long as its at the weekend to allow decent crowds at the games

Dashing Bob S
19-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I doubt English clubs would care about it, particularly the bigger ones. I doubt Man Utd would be enthused about an away British Cup tie at St Johnstone or Motherwell when they have an EPL game at the weekend, and a CL game the following week.

I think we'd end up with Bolton v Stoke every final.

Lofarl
19-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Who says we can't win it eh? If you want to renew interest in our league cup or even a british league cup, you need a carrot. The ideal carrot would be a European place.

Bring back the uefa cup winners cup I say. I'd love the chance to cuff English teams in their own backyard. Even nowadays when the Huns are getting flack for their songs we can imagine they would behave themselves for fear of getting thrown out.

I can't see why FIFA/UEFA would suddenly scream to remove our right to retain our national side. We do after all have our own parliament, law etc.

Plus if it sweetens the idea of the OF moving to england it's a win-win situation. We get rid of them and more teams get the chance to win the league.

But as someone has said it's the money men who will make the decision. If sky offer a truckload of money, rest assured we will be humping fergies boys soon.

GGTTH

Leicester Fan
19-04-2011, 06:43 PM
If this went ahead I'd propose the top 20 teams from each country -

Scotland - Entire SPL (presumably 10 team) and 1-10 in SPL2.
England - 1-17 in Premiership and the three promoted teams from last season.
Wales - Entire Welsh Premier League (12 teams) and the top 4 in the two second teirs.
Northern Ireland - Entire IFA Premiership (12 teams) and 1-8 in IFA Championship 1.

From there we could have a preiminary round, reducing the teams to 40 and then 8 groups of 5 UEFA Cup style, with the winners going through to the quarter finals.

Two legged semis and the final at a neutral venue which alternates between the national stadiums every year. Sorted. :aok:

You'd seriously include Welsh and Northern Irish teams but not include Leicester, Leeds, the Sheffield teams Derby, Middlesborough etc?

hibeedonald
19-04-2011, 07:00 PM
You'd seriously include Welsh and Northern Irish teams but not include Leicester, Leeds, the Sheffield teams Derby, Middlesborough etc?

i agree, the spl, division 1, then the top league in Wales and northern Ireland, then everything from league 2 and up in England.

ballengeich
19-04-2011, 08:07 PM
I can't see why the top English teams would be interested in an expanded competition as they regard their existing league cup as a distraction and field their reserve teams. I think that if the SPL want a cross-border competition they should ask to join in the Johnstone Paint's cup which league 1 and league 2 teams play for.

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2011, 08:36 PM

:top marks

Couldnt agree more.