PDA

View Full Version : David Wotherspoon Incident

The_Sauz
18-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I was hoping to see that Incident again on the BBC highlights, as I thought it should have been a penalty, also the Hamilton player was lucky not to get a red for violent conduct for his head lock.

It reminded me of a European game many years ago at Easter Road (can't remember the opponents) but when the other team cleared a Hibs corner to the half way line, all the players started coming out the box, when all of a sudden, their centre half took a swipe at Ally McLeod, to which the ref spotted, and then pointed to the spot.

Bobo
18-04-2011, 05:29 PM
I was hoping to see that Incident again on the BBC highlights, as I thought it should have been a penalty, also the Hamilton player was lucky not to get a red for violent conduct for his head lock.

It reminded me of a European game many years ago at Easter Road (can't remember the opponents) but when the other team cleared a Hibs corner to the half way line, all the players started coming out the box, when all of a sudden, their centre half took a swipe at Ally McLeod, to which the ref spotted, and then pointed to the spot.

It was the Strasbourg game in 1978-79 season, Hibs won 1-0 on the night but had lost 2-0 in the 1st leg.

scoopyboy
18-04-2011, 05:35 PM

The difference was the ball was in play in the European game.

That's why it wasn't a penalty yesterday.

It was debated that the ref blew the whistle before D got clattered but the ball has to be kicked before it is in play.

I checked with a ref tonight.

The_Sauz
18-04-2011, 05:51 PM
The difference was the ball was in play in the European game.

That's why it wasn't a penalty yesterday.

It was debated that the ref blew the whistle before D got clattered but the ball has to be kicked before it is in play.

I checked with a ref tonight.
Thanks for clearing that up (was not sure if Deeks had taken the free-kick just before the ref blew) :wink:

scoopyboy
18-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks for clearing that up (was not sure if Deeks had taken the free-kick just before the ref blew) :wink:

No probs mate.

For older viewers it takes me back to my days of "Shoot" and the section "You are the Ref".

Johnny_Leith
18-04-2011, 06:31 PM
As scoopy has said, it wasn't a pen as the ball was not 'in play'. Fair enough but the penalty shout that I thought was a stonewaller was when Booth hit a shot and it Mensing handled it. His hand was not by his side, prevented a shot hitting the target and allowed him to clear giving him a clear advantage, is that not a 110% pen? The lino and ref were looking right at him so no excuses there.

I'm not trying to blame the ref for the result, we deserved to lose as we were awful and 2-2 would have been unfair on Hamilton but it was as clear a pen as you will ever see.

CallumLaidlaw
18-04-2011, 06:40 PM
As scoopy has said, it wasn't a pen as the ball was not 'in play'. Fair enough but the penalty shout that I thought was a stonewaller was when Booth hit a shot and it Mensing handled it. His hand was not by his side, prevented a shot hitting the target and allowed him to clear giving him a clear advantage, is that not a 110% pen? The lino and ref were looking right at him so no excuses there.

I'm not trying to blame the ref for the result, we deserved to lose as we were awful and 2-2 would have been unfair on Hamilton but it was as clear a pen as you will ever see.

I disagree completely that we deserved to lose. Ok we weren't great, but we dominated for 60 mins, hit the post and bar, had one cleared off the line and a couple of penalty appeals.
Hamilton played well for the opening 20 mins then packed their defence and tried to play the game out.
I thought we deserved at least a draw

SonOfDavidFrancey
18-04-2011, 06:48 PM
No probs mate.

For older viewers it takes me back to my days of "Shoot" and the section "You are the Ref".

You are the ref made a comeback a few years ago and still appears every week in The Observer. All the recent ones can be found here and I think there is a book of 50 Years of You Are The ref.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/you-are-the-ref

CallumLaidlaw
18-04-2011, 07:05 PM
No probs mate.

There's actually an iphone app like that now. Its pretty good

Johnny_Leith
18-04-2011, 07:20 PM
I disagree completely that we deserved to lose. Ok we weren't great, but we dominated for 60 mins, hit the post and bar, had one cleared off the line and a couple of penalty appeals.
Hamilton played well for the opening 20 mins then packed their defence and tried to play the game out.

Hamilton created good chances too and had they not decided to sit in I reckon they could have scored a few more. We couldn't beat a team that has won 2 games the whole season beforehand. They came and had the better of the early exchanges, created some good opportunites and generally defended quite well. They got lucky on more than a couple of occasions esp Millers OG but we didn't show anywhere near enough to beat them and they wanted it more, I'd say they deserved to win.

Iggy Pope
18-04-2011, 07:37 PM
No probs mate.

I was at the Stasbourg game and seem to recall we were given a penalty when Ally MacLeod was decked by a French defender while the ball was dead.....could be wrong?

delbert
18-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Was at both Strasbourg games, the penalty they got in the first leg had to be seen to be believed, the dive the guy took made Drogba look like a complete amatuer, happened right in front of me. In the second game, the ball was in play, just well outside the area, and the guy guy decked Ally MacLeod, so penalty awarded. Interestingly, in the melee that followed, the referee then undid all his good work by losing track of who threw the punch, and did'nt even issue a caution. Ally scored with the penalty, but we still went out, cant believe it was 32 years ago.

Iggy Pope
18-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Was at both Strasbourg games, the penalty they got in the first leg had to be seen to be believed, the dive the guy took made Drogba look like a complete amatuer, happened right in front of me. In the second game, the ball was in play, just well outside the area, and the guy guy decked Ally MacLeod, so penalty awarded. Interestingly, in the melee that followed, the referee then undid all his good work by losing track of who threw the punch, and did'nt even issue a caution. Ally scored with the penalty, but we still went out, cant believe it was 32 years ago.

I had it in my brain that we were waiting on a corner but I'll bow to your account.
Goalie's name was Dropsy (French international?) and I never doubted that McLeod would bury the penalty.
Who was it that sold the jerseys in France? I have Derek Spalding in mind but I am probably wrong about that too.

JimBHibees
18-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Hamilton created good chances too and had they not decided to sit in I reckon they could have scored a few more. We couldn't beat a team that has won 2 games the whole season beforehand. They came and had the better of the early exchanges, created some good opportunites and generally defended quite well. They got lucky on more than a couple of occasions esp Millers OG but we didn't show anywhere near enough to beat them and they wanted it more, I'd say they deserved to win.

But they did sit in and Hibs dominated dont actually remember them having a shot in the second half. We werent great but i have seen us play much worse bottom line is Deek scores we win.

greenlex
18-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Thats how I had it pegged to Callum. :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
18-04-2011, 08:53 PM
I wonder if the 12th Man can come up with a song for this, to the tune of Ball Park Incident by Wizzard? Could be worth a try.:greengrin

brog
19-04-2011, 09:11 AM

Hamilton played well for 20-30 mins then did nothing. They had 1 shot on target & scored 2 goals!! We had 15 on target & managed 1. I actually thought we played well up to the box in 2nd half. We did well to constantly win back posession & pin them in, unfortunately the quality of our final ball & finishing let us down. If we had scored any of our efforts off woodwork/line or possible pen we would all be raving about the comeback.

Stevie Reid
19-04-2011, 09:34 AM
On the subject of Wotherspoon, whilst I'm certainly not writing him off, I would like to think that we could do better with regards to the right side of midfield for next season. DW is tremendously skillful and can provide great delivery from out wide, but I don't think that he offers enough at the moment, he seems to lose possesion a lot and gives away a lot of silly fouls.

It's interesting that CC told him he doesn't know what his best position is - I reckon that at the moment he is best utilised coming off the bench when we have a lead, to run at tired defenders when we are on the break.

If we could combine Galbraith's pace with Wotherspoon's delivery, we'd have some player.