PDA

View Full Version : +++++ The 12 Men +++++

Sammy7nil
17-04-2011, 02:47 PM
The 12 Men :wink::wink: Sorry the 12th man as flat as the team today.
I can see lots and lots of games like todays over the next 2 or 3 years Hibs are MILES away from being a decent team.

Thomson1875
17-04-2011, 02:54 PM
was pretty dead in the SS today, were are all the people who have been at most other games in the singing section so far this season. They seem to have vanished.

frazeHFC
17-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Was surprised at how small the singing section was today. But for those who were there, they did still sing a lot more than they would have in this match any other season recently.

hibiedude
17-04-2011, 03:00 PM
If the board don't have the same ambition as the fans then yes we will have a half empty stadium most games.

I take my hat off the guys who paid today because that was not worth the entance money.

ArabHibee
17-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I can see lots and lots of games like todays over the next 2 or 3 years Hibs are MILES away from being a decent team.

The 12th Man is the entire fan base of Hibernian FC. I think you are referring to the Singing Section.

Removed
17-04-2011, 05:45 PM
The 12th Man is the entire fan base of Hibernian FC. I think you are referring to the Singing Section.

I heard more singing from the West today than the "singing section" but overall the 12th man was poor. I never even bothered moving when we scored so I don't blame them tbh.

ancient hibee
17-04-2011, 05:47 PM
I heard more singing from the West today than the "singing section"
That's because we thought we were in church.

hibeeleicester
17-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Watched it in the Pub in the end, was embarrassed with the "atmosphere".

Not a great advert at all.

Beefster
17-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Maybe try a different pub with a better atmosphere then?

hibeeleicester
17-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Maybe try a different pub with a better atmosphere then?

Hilarious.

Beefster
17-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Hilarious.

I found you being embarrassed of an atmosphere that you weren't contributing to even less funny.

Calvin
17-04-2011, 06:25 PM
A crappy meaningless game at midday on a sunday in lovely weather, it was never gonna be a game with a great atmosphere.

EH6 Hibby
17-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I found you being embarrassed of an atmosphere that you weren't contributing to even less funny.

:agree:

Disappointed I can understand, but embarrassed? Hardly!

Hibs Class
17-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Baldy Foghorn
17-04-2011, 06:30 PM
A crappy meaningless game at midday on a sunday in lovely weather, it was never gonna be a game with a great atmosphere.

Crappy meaningless???? So we are not trying to finish 7th for more money for finishing higher in league then??

Baldy Foghorn
17-04-2011, 06:30 PM

Dear oh dear, what a comment, you were not even there so how can you slate atmosphere?

Calvin
17-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Crappy meaningless???? So we are not trying to finish 7th for more money for finishing higher in league then??

Of course we're trying to win all our games, but it's hardly the same excitement of chasing Europe or even the top six.

EH6 Hibby
17-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Obviously finishing higher up the league is important, but in terms of getting people through the turnstiles and getting the fans up for the game it's not really a big incentive. As soon as top six was impossible to achieve, the rest of the season became a bit pointless for most people. I certainly wouldn't have gone today if I didn't have a season ticket.

Removed
17-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Obviously finishing higher up the league is important, but in terms of getting people through the turnstiles and getting the fans up for the game it's not really a big incentive. As soon as top six was impossible to achieve, the rest of the season became a bit pointless for most people. I certainly wouldn't have gone today if I didn't have a season ticket.

:agree: Anyone who paid at the gate to get in today needs their head examined imo. That's why the split is a total joke.

Hibs Class
17-04-2011, 06:53 PM
:agree: Anyone who paid at the gate to get in today needs their head examined imo. That's why the split is a total joke.

Whether there's a split or not (& I agree the split does make Scottish football a laughing stock) an all but meaningless Sunday lunchtime game against Hamilton was never going to draw a decent crowd.

greenlex
17-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Everyone who wants a 16 team league better get used to meaningless fixtures this time of year.:wink: It could have been Falkirk, Dunfermline, Dundee, Partick, Killie Hamilton or St Johnstone. It could have been 3pm on a saturday I dont think it would have made any difference.

Duffys13
17-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Everyone who wants a 16 team league better get used to meaningless fixtures this time of year.:wink: It could have been Falkirk, Dunfermline, Dundee, Partick, Killie Hamilton or St Johnstone. It could have been 3pm on a saturday I dont think it would have made any difference.

I have a season ticket and could not make it today due to the 12pm kick off. I think it's a joke to have the game today at that time. Obviously ESPN wanted it then but can't understand why. Even if it was a relegation decider, would it have ever competed against the Scottish Cup Semi? Also most pubs are not even open at 12 on a Sunday, so not benefitting the pub audience either.

millarco
17-04-2011, 08:25 PM

The only difference being the meaningless games would potentially kick in from about February/March.

marinello59
17-04-2011, 08:39 PM

The only difference being the meaningless games would potentially kick in from about February/March.

At least we wouldn't have them televised through out the Uk though.

Hibeesb0unc3
17-04-2011, 11:01 PM

But on the other hand if you were chasing a europa league place or even 1st place you would rather play the team you mentioned than hearts and the OF as you have more chance of getting something from the game. Plus it also means the PF take less points from other SPL teams playing them less times in the league

Beefster
18-04-2011, 09:48 AM
But on the other hand if you were chasing a europa league place or even 1st place you would rather play the team you mentioned than hearts and the OF as you have more chance of getting something from the game. Plus it also means the PF take less points from other SPL teams playing them less times in the league

So a 16 team league is about easier games for Hibs rather than stopping meaningless games?

Steve-O
18-04-2011, 10:03 AM
So how come the EPL with 20 teams is extremely tight with teams from 9 - 20 still in the relegation mire, and the other 8 still in the race for the title / Europe?

This 'meaningless' argument doesn't necessarily ring true IMO and it certainly couldn't be less meaningless than the bottom 6!

The Gorf
18-04-2011, 10:15 AM

That doesn't help our cause any now does it.

I'm a seson ticket holder so could have just gone to the pub as well. But didn't. Even though we are now in bottom six the team still need the support. :flag:

RIP
18-04-2011, 11:56 AM
was pretty dead in the SS today, were are all the people who have been at most other games in the singing section so far this season. They seem to have vanished.

A large number of the empty seats are normally occupied by pay at the gate punters. The weather, the kickoff time (hangover recovery?), the time of the season, no top six .......... Having said that there still needs to be better advertising of the singing section to build it up - it's still early days

I'm sure every supporter has the POTENTIAL to contribute to being a 12thMan for the team but not everyone sees it as core to their matchday experience. On Saturday we had more spectators than 12thmen.

Each to their own I guess

ArabHibee
18-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Going off on a slight tangent 325EasterRoad, is there an issue with "The 12thMan" as there seems to be an awful lot of slagging off going on on the Facebook page?

marinello59
18-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Going off on a slight tangent 325EasterRoad, is there an issue with "The 12thMan" as there seems to be an awful lot of slagging off going on on the Facebook page?

They don't seem to like Hibs very much today? Are the 12th man in discussions with another club by any chance? :greengrin

Keith_M
18-04-2011, 02:30 PM
First off, the 12th Man is NOT the same as the Singing Section, it's those supporters, wherever they sit, that decide to get behind the team. I have to admit that because I was under the weather (bad cold, so can hardly speak) and also completely uninspired by the game today, I wasn't one of them.

Secondly, it's actually quite a backhanded complement that those who can't wait to slag off the 'Singing Section' have finally got the chance to do so... at a game where there was little to play for, on TV, on a Sunday at 12:00.

Can I ask a genuine question of those who delight in attacking the Singing Section at every opportunity. Would you prefer that they weren't making the effort and we just go back to the library like atmosphere that prevailed at most games previously?

I know I certainly wouldn't.

darwenhibby
18-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Give the Singing section credit where it is due.

A group of genuine Hibs supporters trying to get more people to join them, to support the team, to encourage others to go to ER which puts bums on seats, creates more money for the club.

I sit in the west but the noise that can come over from the East is much better than sitting in library that was ER a couple of years ago.

Get off their backs for trying to do something positive.

Folk that come on here just to get a reaction.:bitchy:

RIP
18-04-2011, 03:16 PM

In my opinion, Facebook is just a open space for folk to post their opinions. Not much different to a messageboard. The admins (as they do on here) have day jobs.

Like many supporters, I've been really pleased with how things have progressed this season at Easter Road with singing and displays but we'd be naive to expect it to be plain sailing. If you have 1500 people you expect 1500 opinions. It's really just another sort of Hibee messageboard

No doubt the activity will be succeptible to change. Celtic's Green Brigade have been on the go for 5 years and they've had their challenges along the way. People who have experience of group organisations usually recommend to focus on what unites you rather than what divides you. Look for the common ground and keep it simple.

hibeeleicester
18-04-2011, 03:35 PM
That doesn't help our cause any now does it.

I'm a seson ticket holder so could have just gone to the pub as well. But didn't. Even though we are now in bottom six the team still need the support. :flag:

Take a look at my username :wink:

If i could go i would....

EH6 Hibby
18-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Take a look at my username :wink:

If i could go i would....

That's fair enough, no one I would imagine has a problem with your reasons for not going, it just seems a bit much for you to be claiming to be "embarrassed" by the support that did attend.

seamus88
18-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Dear oh dear, what a comment, you were not even there so how can you slate atmosphere?
It costs some people more than thier bus fare and and hour down the road to get to ER :wink:

greenlex
18-04-2011, 04:39 PM
So how come the EPL with 20 teams is extremely tight with teams from 9 - 20 still in the relegation mire, and the other 8 still in the race for the title / Europe?

This 'meaningless' argument doesn't necessarily ring true IMO and it certainly couldn't be less meaningless than the bottom 6!
The bottom six could be really exciting if Hamilton were not cut adrift at the bottom. It could be as likely as the situation the current EPL situation this season. The amount of teams makes no difference. It will either be tight and exciting or not. if its not there will be meaningless games. In scotland the difference between the second tier of top teams (outside the old firm) and the teams coming up from the first is greater than the teams 9-20 in the EPL with the ecxception of maybe Blackpool. In short there will always be the same two or three teams battling relegation up here with the odd larger one (us and aberdeen for a bit) the same cant be said for down south.

ArabHibee
18-04-2011, 05:14 PM
In my opinion, Facebook is just a open space for folk to post their opinions. Not much different to a messageboard. The admins (as they do on here) have day jobs.

Like many supporters, I've been really pleased with how things have progressed this season at Easter Road with singing and displays but we'd be naive to expect it to be plain sailing. If you have 1500 people you expect 1500 opinions. It's really just another sort of Hibee messageboard

No doubt the activity will be succeptible to change. Celtic's Green Brigade have been on the go for 5 years and they've had their challenges along the way. People who have experience of group organisations usually recommend to focus on what unites you rather than what divides you. Look for the common ground and keep it simple.

I wasn't meaning folk slagging off the 12thMan on their Facebook page. Someone had posted up (quite obviously) private emails between some of the original creators or members? Thought it was quite petty tbh and smacked of being very childlike.

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2011, 09:25 PM
The singing section are a great idea and hopefully will go from strength to strength.
Lets face it, there was not a lot to get excited about on Sunday. It was very end of season stuff. Hell I even applauded Hamiltons first goal coz it was good play.

Having said that ...... I'm beginning to get a bit worried about the sinister 12th man organization.

Will I be sitting in my seat one day and a guy in a long leather trench coat will flip open a wallet and say "12th Man sir, can you show me your season ticket and some other evidence of your commitment to the Hibs"

He wont accept my empty Bovril cup and pie case as acceptable evidence and I will get dragged oot the back of the East for a sound kicking and told to sing louder next time.

:greengrin

Ed De Gramo
19-04-2011, 11:42 PM

You just having a dig or what?

The 12th Man refers to everyone that comes to Easter Road/away games. The singing section was a sparse because like a lot of fans, they stayed away.

Speaking as a section 43 regular, it was disappointing to see so many empty seats behind me but what can we do?

Instead of having a dig at the singing section...perhaps you could try and get some songs going? The season is over to a quite a lot of fans (turncoats if you ask me, but thats a debate for another time) however whatever fans turn up to sections 42-43 will sing....the atmosphere might not be as good as say Derby Day but hell we'll give a go!

Removed
19-04-2011, 11:45 PM

The 12th Man refers to everyone that comes to Easter Road/away games. The singing section was a sparse because like a lot of fans, they stayed away.

Speaking as a section 43 regular, it was disappointing to see so many empty seats behind me but what can we do?

Instead of having a dig at the singing section...perhaps you could try and get some songs going? The season is over to a quite a lot of fans (turncoats if you ask me, but thats a debate for another time) however whatever fans turn up to sections 42-43 will sing....the atmosphere might not be as good as say Derby Day but hell we'll give a go!

Why do you think that is Gramo? If there was anywhere in the ground I expected to be packed it was up where you lads and lassies sit :confused:

HNA6
19-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Instead of having a dig at the singing section...perhaps you could try and get some songs going? The season is over to a quite a lot of fans (turncoats if you ask me, but thats a debate for another time) however whatever fans turn up to sections 42-43 will sing....the atmosphere might not be as good as say Derby Day but hell we'll give a go!Eh ..?..you been on the drink Gramo ..? :confused:

Ed De Gramo
19-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Why do you think that is Gramo? If there was anywhere in the ground I expected to be packed it was up where you lads and lassies sit :confused:

Numerous reasons chief.....'meaningless'.....'early KO' etc....

I think the official crowd was just over 8K but its something to work on.

I can't stress highly enough that the 12th Man and the Singing Sections are two different factions. Yes, we look like we appear as one but we want the entire ER/away crowd to join in.

We shouldn't have to rely on one area of the ground to create an atmosphere.

Ed De Gramo
19-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Eh ..?..you been on the drink Gramo ..? :confused:

not at all....telling it like it is!

I know a fair few fans that are not interested in going to Hibs matches because the 'season is over'....IMO thats a pathetic stance to take. If you have a prior engagement or you live miles away then aye thats understandable but if you are local and refuse to go because the 'season is over'....then thats just shoddy.

Removed
20-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Numerous reasons chief.....'meaningless'.....'early KO' etc....

I think the official crowd was just over 8K but its something to work on.

I can't stress highly enough that the 12th Man and the Singing Sections are two different factions. Yes, we look like we appear as one but we want the entire ER/away crowd to join in.

We shouldn't have to rely on one area of the ground to create an atmosphere.

Don't worry, I'm on message with that one.

Problem is that folk like me see what goes on with the singing at away games, hear all the uberfan pish about the East, yet when it boils down to it the East & the Singing Section are no better or worse than any other supporter or section of the ground. If S43 had been bouncing on Sunday for a meaningless early KO, I would have given you all the :not worth but even members of the singing section couldn'y be arsed. Given all the S43 hot air this season I was surprised.

Ed De Gramo
20-04-2011, 12:08 AM
Don't worry, I'm on message with that one.

Problem is that folk like me see what goes on with the singing at away games, hear all the uberfan pish about the East, yet when it boils down to it the East & the Singing Section are no better or worse than any other supporter or section of the ground. If S43 had been bouncing on Sunday for a meaningless early KO, I would have given you all the :not worth but even members of the singing section couldn'y be arsed. Given all the S43 hot air this season I was surprised.

Its something that we need to correct and push on with.

With regards to away games, its usually the same folk that go to the away games and sing constantly. The majority sit in Section 43 or there abouts.

I was also surprised TBH with you but that'll always be the case sadly.

MSK
20-04-2011, 12:13 AM
not at all....telling it like it is!

I know a fair few fans that are not interested in going to Hibs matches because the 'season is over'....IMO thats a pathetic stance to take. If you have a prior engagement or you live miles away then aye thats understandable but if you are local and refuse to go because the 'season is over'....then thats just shoddy.So because folk decide to do other things at the weekend instead of going to the hibs match they are turncoats ..? behave yersel eh !!

Tell you what Gramo, a few hibs players proved they couldnt have given a **** about the fans on Sunday, if the team are not gonna turn up for a game how can you expect the fans to ?

Ive lost interest Gramo, I honestly cant get excited about a hibs game at the moment, my appetite has deserted me ..but im sure I can play around with my new found "Turncoat" tag ..cheers ..:aok:

RIP
20-04-2011, 06:37 AM
It's all about personal opinions I guess.

There's been singing at ER since I started going in 1961
This had reduced in recent years to the group under the gantry
Stew the Hibee and others started Capital Greens in 2008 to improve the atmosphere
In 2009 we had other supporter initiatives such as Green Day (Keekaboo and others?) and Hibees Reunited
In early 2010 - Mister P and HFC_1875 started up the East Stand Singing Section campaign. By June the group had 200 supporters
In April the club announced 1000 seats - four times the area we needed
In June Mister P and I held a meeting to propose a 12thMan activist group to be the people behind the seats
Hibs12thMan was formed to sing and much more
So far there's a small number of behind the scenes activists
There's now up to 50 others who have helped with displays and keeping the singing going
On a 'normal' Saturday there's about 200 others who join in the singing
At big games we even get the whole East joining in

No uber fans - simply a small group of supporters who IMO aim to encourage other like-minded souls to actively support the team rather than spectate.

Also IMO we need to recruit more singers or future singers into Section43 during this close season. Rome was not built in a day. With 1530 supporters on Facebook there's plenty potential

Baldy Foghorn
20-04-2011, 11:02 AM
It costs some people more than thier bus fare and and hour down the road to get to ER :wink:

Yip well aware of that. The point was though that the poster was slating the atmosphere, but was not part of that said atmosphere, so why comment?

hibeeleicester
20-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Yip well aware of that. The point was though that the poster was slating the atmosphere, but was not part of that said atmosphere, so why comment?

Because you could see even from TV screens at the place was dead. I could here CC calls to players! :greengrin

Sammy7nil
20-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Not having a dig just saying it as I see it, exactly like you are, we just see it differently.
P.S. what makes you think I dont sing every week? You are just making assumptions and your turncoay jibe is just plain silly

AndersonGGTTH
21-04-2011, 09:25 AM
i sit right at back of SS and have to admit it was pretty dead but that blame cant be put on those who were there , and also what a noise the west can make when there in disagreement with the ref or booing , it is actually really loud shame the booing cant be turned into singing !

hibeeleicester
21-04-2011, 04:59 PM
i sit right at back of SS and have to admit it was pretty dead but that blame cant be put on those who were there , and also what a noise the west can make when there in disagreement with the ref or booing , it is actually really loud shame the booing cant be turned into singing !

Thats exactly what is needed, people need to stop using their effort to booooooo and support the team. :agree:

marinello59
21-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Thats exactly what is needed, people need to stop using their effort to booooooo and support the team. :agree:

I thought most people in the West were supporting the team on Sunday? :confused:

AndersonGGTTH
21-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I thought most people in the West were supporting the team on Sunday? :confused:

yes the west was definately supporting the team , it seemed like more was seen from the west thats why there was a roaar of PENALTY(x4)

jon paul jones
22-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I think my avatar speaks for itself......I'm all for being in the minority...if 200 mad Hibby fans are the minority...:greengrin

Levenhibee
22-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I wonder if the notion of the 12th Man will ever reach the Sleeping Section of the Famous Five Stand. It's like death warmed up in there most games.

Removed
22-04-2011, 10:47 PM
I wonder if the notion of the 12th Man will ever reach the Sleeping Section of the Famous Five Stand. It's like death warmed up in there most games.

Really? I sit in the FF and know all about the 12th man.

Any more smart comments :rolleyes:

Levenhibee
22-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Really? I sit in the FF and know all about the 12th man.

Any more smart comments :rolleyes:

Your obviously not in the Sleeping Section then. The FF is the quietest part of the ground though, and has been for a couple of seasons now IMO.

Removed
22-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Your obviously not in the Sleeping Section then. The FF is the quietest part of the ground though, and has been for a couple of seasons now IMO.

So what? I don't understand what point you are trying to make :confused:

Jack
22-04-2011, 10:57 PM
We're all Hibbies! Lets all encourage each other to encourage the team.

Dashing Bob S
23-04-2011, 12:55 AM
Thought Lee J Cobb nicked it from Henry Fonda. His acting in the penultimate scene was good and heartfelt, but might be described as rather 'big' now. It certainly gave away this great character actor's theatrical roots.

marinello59
23-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Thought Lee J Cobb nicked it from Henry Fonda. His acting in the penultimate scene was good and heartfelt, but might be described as rather 'big' now. It certainly gave away this great character actor's theatrical roots.
:tee hee:
Superb.

col02
23-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Pretty sad state of affairs in that something positive being attempted at the club by individuals off their own back and own time is something that is seen as fair game by some for criticism! The atmosphere the supporters in the East stand singing section have generated for most of this season is why my feelings for the club have started to grow again to where they were. As someone who takes my kids to the games I want then to see colour and passion amongst the fans something which the 12th man or singing section gives without fail pretty much every home match! I might sit in the West upper but I am firmly behind what this group of fans are trying to do. Keep up the good work!

ionahibby
23-04-2011, 07:37 AM
We're all Hibbies! Lets all encourage each other to encourage the team.

well said! Where we sit in the stand is irrelevant imo as long as we get behind the team in some way!