PDA

View Full Version : "Gie The Baw Tae Reilly!"

Dashing Bob S
15-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Immortalised in Hector Nicol's 'Glory, Glory To The Hibees' and mentioned in some of the books on the club's history, this refers to a gravel-voiced occupant of the old stand in the Famous Five era, who persistently urged this in a throaty roar which was heard above all the others in the vacinity.

Does anybody know who this guy was, or indeed, know anything about him?

Perhaps he was Hibs first ever uber or 'celebrity' fan.

hibsbollah
15-04-2011, 02:17 PM
...his natural replacement was the 'cmon my bonny bonny boys' man...the bona fide voice of the Old East.

Wembley67
15-04-2011, 02:27 PM
George Anderson or something like that I think...probably nowhere close mind you!

Billy
15-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Immortalised in Hector Nicol's 'Glory, Glory To The Hibees' and mentioned in some of the books on the club's history, this refers to a gravel-voiced occupant of the old stand in the Famous Five era, who persistently urged this in a throaty roar which was heard above all the others in the vacinity.

The guy was at the book launch of Lawrie Reilly not so long ago at the stadium and he shouted out that famous phrase a few times that day.

hughio
15-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Slightly off topic but the lady in the lower west around the middle

She takes some beating!

what a voice!

"Come on HIBERNIAN ...show some GUMPTION"

:greengrin:not worth

ancient hibee
15-04-2011, 03:13 PM
His name's Charlie Anderson-he's in his nineties now.

Twiglet
15-04-2011, 03:20 PM

She takes some beating!

what a voice!

Sits right over the tunnel??

Golden Bear
15-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I wonder what ever happened to Grumpy Gibby, the North Stand Hibby?

:greengrin

KWJ
15-04-2011, 04:00 PM

She takes some beating!

what a voice!

I know who you mean, my dad and gran befriended her after months of calling her "Mrs. Hibernian". Think we used to see her at away games or maybe in the East through the 90s.

iwasthere1972
15-04-2011, 04:04 PM

There's some info on the guy who shouted "Gie the baw tae Reilly" on paragraph 4 of the following.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Interview-Hibs-legend-Lawrie-Reilly.6584860.jp

Twiglet
15-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I know who you mean, my dad and gran befriended her after months of calling her "Mrs. Hibernian". Think we used to see her at away games or maybe in the East through the 90s.

Ah, not the person I was thinking of. Shall have to look out for her my Sunday.

KWJ
15-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Ah, not the person I was thinking of. Shall have to look out for her my Sunday.

She might sit over the tunnel now. Think she does actually as that's where my Dad & Gran would see her when they kept going in the 00's.

Allant1981
15-04-2011, 05:52 PM
There used to be a woman who was always louder than everyone else, especially at away games. Anne i think her name was. Could hear her at the other end of the ground

FranckSuzy
15-04-2011, 05:56 PM
There's some info on the guy who shouted "Gie the baw tae Reilly" on paragraph 4 of the following.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Interview-Hibs-legend-Lawrie-Reilly.6584860.jp

That's brilliant! :top marks

Anagram
15-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Mrs. Hibernian was a lovely lady who came with her hubby, and used to chat to Gran and I. She wore a hat to the cup final (when we lost 3 - 0 to the Soapdodgers) which had a pitch, players and goals on top of it.

Anagram
15-04-2011, 06:04 PM
There used to be a woman who was always louder than everyone else, especially at away games. Anne i think her name was. Could hear her at the other end of the ground

Ah, Anne, yes I think that was Mrs. Hibernian's name.

Big90inOz
15-04-2011, 08:30 PM
His name's Charlie Anderson-he's in his nineties now.

:agree:

Charlie was still working down at the port 12-13 yrs ago, a real character.

tanfield
15-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Used to hear her at a lot of games in the early 90's. Just that cry of "come on Hibernian!"

CropleyWasGod
15-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Used to hear her at a lot of games in the early 90's. Just that cry of "come on Hibernian!"

If it's who I think it is.... she has her own sweet take on one of our old songs...

"Hi-i-bernian..... Go away Midlothian..."

:greengrin

Sammy7nil
15-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Most definately CHARLIE ANDERSON one of my Dad's best mates and I am proud to be able to call him "Uncle Charlie"

Great guy well in to 90's maybe 94 Lawrie Reilly was at his 90th in the Dockers club.

Powderhall was his place of choice in later years

Bobo
16-04-2011, 08:47 AM
There used to be a big guy on the terracing in te late 70's early 80's who we called "Rent a Crowd" :singing: because he was so loud and sang by himself when it was quiet to try and get the crowd going.

He used to belt out " Oh Hibby, Hibby, Hibby, Hibby, Hibbiy, Hibby-ernian".

Anyone know who he was or if he's still around, he'll probably be in his 70's now.

ancient hibee
16-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Certainly wasn't Cole Porter:greengrin

haddington 1875
16-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Charlie Anderson one of lifes good guys .know his stepson well and ibelieve the first time the chant was heard at wembley in fifties

The Harp
16-04-2011, 11:24 PM
There used to be a big guy on the terracing in te late 70's early 80's who we called "Rent a Crowd" :singing: because he was so loud and sang by himself when it was quiet to try and get the crowd going.

He used to belt out " Oh Hibby, Hibby, Hibby, Hibby, Hibbiy, Hibby-ernian".

Anyone know who he was or if he's still around, he'll probably be in his 70's now.

I think I know who you mean. A big well-built guy wi' dark hair. He was a friend of a friend of mine and a big Hibs man. Haven't seen much of him lately but pretty sure his first name was Stuart and he was an ex Holy Cross boy. He'll be in his mid 60's now.

Bobo
17-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I think I know who you mean. A big well-built guy wi' dark hair. He was a friend of a friend of mine and a big Hibs man. Haven't seen much of him lately but pretty sure his first name was Stuart and he was an ex Holy Cross boy. He'll be in his mid 60's now.

Yeh that's the guy, he used to stand to the right of the floodlight at the corner of the seated enclosure.

CropleyWasGod
17-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Most definately CHARLIE ANDERSON one of my Dad's best mates and I am proud to be able to call him "Uncle Charlie"

Great guy well in to 90's maybe 94 Lawrie Reilly was at his 90th in the Dockers club.

Powderhall was his place of choice in later years

Had the pleasure of LR's company in the Gallery before and after the game today. He confirms your story. :not worth

Sammy7nil
17-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Had the pleasure of LR's company in the Gallery before and after the game today. He confirms your story. :not worth

Yip none better than L.R. :not worth:not worth:not worth

KeithTheHibby
17-04-2011, 03:24 PM
:agree:

Charlie was still working down at the port 12-13 yrs ago, a real character.

That is very true, I got to know him during my time working for Forth Ports. He used to come in every Friday to collect the Littlewoods coupon money and always spoke fondly of the Hibs.

Great to hear that is still on the go, mind you he was fit as a fiddle back in the late nineties so I am not surprised!!

GieTheBaTaeReilly
17-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Great thread. I have to be honest and say it's not me, my username is an, erm, "tribute" - although my name is Reilly - no relation.