PDA

View Full Version : NHC Hillsborough

JimBHibees
15-04-2011, 12:42 PM
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/hillsborough/hillsborough-96/

Not a Liverpool fan however am heading down for a short break there with family next week and noticed this link which I thought was very poignant giving a little bit of information about each of the 96 football fans most of whom were very young who never returned home on that horrible day. Very sad.

RIP.

McKenzie
15-04-2011, 01:32 PM
RIP justice for the 96!

Speedway
15-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Astonishing, how long its been. I switched on Grandstand to hear Des Lynam commentating on the details.

We got pumped at Hampden by Celtic the following day.

Scouse Hibee
15-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Another very moving memorial service today,with a moving tribute to all 96 and a mention of the motion to get Kenny knighted. Also very moving to see Rafa shed a tear when his contributions and support were acknowledged.

CalgaryHibs
16-04-2011, 05:30 AM
Why do people keep bringing this subject up? Let it n be in peace, please:)

JimBHibees
16-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Why do people keep bringing this subject up? Let it n be in peace, please:)

Mainly because this is a football forum and 96 fans died going to a game many of which were very young. Another aspect is the complete whitewash that occured after which not only held no one in charge on that day responsible but sought to blame and disparage the dead.

On another day this could quite easily have been 96 Hibs fans being laid side by side in a gymnasium under the stand.

IMO football fans everywhere should never forget the people that died that day not just for the complete shambles that caused it but the callous way their memories were besmirched in the aftermath.

Just reading some of the personal accounts is incredibly moving from the 10 year old cousin of Steven Gerrard, the teenage sisters, the guys who got tickets at the last minute, the Spurs fan who went with mates etc..

Putting aside the fact that 96 people died that day the constant theme through many of the family comments is the lack of resolution amd hurt felt that noone was prepared to accept responsibility for the awful events of that day.

There but for the grace of god.

LaMotta
16-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Mainly because this is a football forum and 96 fans died going to a game many of which were very young. Another aspect is the complete whitewash that occured after which not only held no one in charge on that day responsible but sought to blame and disparage the dead.

On another day this could quite easily have been 96 Hibs fans being laid side by side in a gymnasium under the stand.

IMO football fans everywhere should never forget the people that died that day not just for the complete shambles that caused it but the callous way their memories were besmirched in the aftermath.

Just reading some of the personal accounts is incredibly moving from the 10 year old cousin of Steven Gerrard, the teenage sisters, the guys who got tickets at the last minute, the Spurs fan who went with mates etc..

Putting aside the fact that 96 people died that day the constant theme through many of the family comments is the lack of resolution amd hurt felt that noone was prepared to accept responsibility for the awful events of that day.

:agree:

LaMotta
16-04-2011, 09:59 AM

I remember my old boy coming home from a derby at Tynecastle around 1985-86 saying that there was almost a serious incident with crushing in the away end, and the police were doing nothing to help. He was raging about the whole thing.

Anyone remember a game where this could have happened?

Frazerbob
16-04-2011, 10:15 AM

Very well said.

Does this answer your question Calgary? If not, can I please recomend that your read "Hillsborough - The Truth" by Phil Scarton. If it doesn't reduce you to tears and then blind anger you are not a football fan IMO.

The Baldmans Comb
16-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Very well said.

Does this answer your question Calgary? If not, can I please recomend that your read "Hillsborough - The Truth" by Phil Scarton. If it doesn't reduce you to tears and then blind anger you are not a football fan IMO.

Exactly as this is a superbly written book.

Justice for the 96.

jdships
16-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post

Very well said.

With you both on this :top marks
I cannot describe my feelings/emotions when reading "Hillsborough - The Truth"
These people lost their lives when out enjoying a sporting occasion - innocent victims all

heretoday
16-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I remember my old boy coming home from a derby at Tynecastle around 1985-86 saying that there was almost a serious incident with crushing in the away end, and the police were doing nothing to help. He was raging about the whole thing.

Anyone remember a game where this could have happened?

The tunnel under the School end of Tynecastle was an accident waiting to happen. I always avoided using it on derby days if possible. The combination of stumbling drunks, fans arriving late, lack of stewarding and the usual complacent policing meant a most uncomfortable entry and exit from the terrace.

cabbageandribs1875
16-04-2011, 11:58 AM
The tunnel under the School end of Tynecastle was an accident waiting to happen. I always avoided using it on derby days if possible. The combination of stumbling drunks, fans arriving late, lack of stewarding and the usual complacent policing meant a most uncomfortable entry and exit from the terrace.

was the tunnel not at the gorski road end ??

heretoday
16-04-2011, 05:21 PM
was the tunnel not at the gorski road end ??

No. Entry from Gorgie Road was up a ramp straight onto the terrace. That could get incredibly congested too.

I don't recall there being an "away end" as such in the 60s/70s. Everyone sort of mucked in together. There used to be bottles and cans flying at times under the TV camera position opposite the main stand.

Hibs Class
16-04-2011, 06:25 PM
No. Entry from Gorgie Road was up a ramp straight onto the terrace. That could get incredibly congested too.

I don't recall there being an "away end" as such in the 60s/70s. Everyone sort of mucked in together. There used to be bottles and cans flying at times under the TV camera position opposite the main stand.

That's not how I remember it. the school end had entry from where the current turnstiles now are, or the back of what is now the Wheatfield, but I reckon there was a tunnel at the Gorgie Road end, which was the away end before they built their stands.

Pretty Boy
16-04-2011, 06:30 PM
It angers me that it took a tragedy like Hillsborough for the authorities to realise they couldn't continue to treat football supporters like animals.

The whitewash that was the 'enquiry' was a joke and the reporting of The Sun was horrendous. It still makes my blood boil seeing Kelvin McKenzie on TV being treated like some kind of celebrity.

crash
16-04-2011, 06:30 PM

The tunnel was definitely at the Gorgie Road end, a horrible place.

Keith_M
16-04-2011, 06:35 PM
There were 'tunnels' at both ends, at one time. The one at the School End was eventually closed for safety reasons. By that time, segregation was in place and we only entered via the Gorgie Road end.

heretoday
17-04-2011, 12:18 PM
There were 'tunnels' at both ends, at one time. The one at the School End was eventually closed for safety reasons. By that time, segregation was in place and we only entered via the Gorgie Road end.

Okay! I never used the Gorgie road entrance much anyway!