PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh XI

Part/Time Supporter
15-04-2011, 08:53 AM
c/f this article on the bbc about a "Manchester XI", which is charitable in the extreme towards City by picking Colin Bell. Schmeichel and Law also played for City, but they are primarily picked for what they did for United.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thefootballtacticsblog/2011/04/who_would_make_your_all-time_m.html

It made me think in outline about an Edinburgh XI. My first thought is that even the most cock-eyed Jambo would at least pick Stanton, Gordon Smith (primarily Hibs) and Reilly. Kind of explodes that wonderful Jambo myth about "most one-sided rivalry" that is often espoused on kickback.

It's also quite a tricky one to pick in the sense that many of the "better" players moved elsewhere fairly early in their career, particularly in the modern era. Do you pick someone with hundreds of appearances, but probably of lesser ability, than someone who didn't achieve as much with the club because he was sold?

bawheid
15-04-2011, 09:05 AM
c/f this article on the bbc about a "Manchester XI", which is charitable in the extreme towards City by picking Colin Bell. Schmeichel and Law also played for City, but they are primarily picked for what they did for United.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thefootballtacticsblog/2011/04/who_would_make_your_all-time_m.html

It made me think in outline about an Edinburgh XI. My first thought is that even the most cock-eyed Jambo would at least pick Stanton, Gordon Smith (primarily Hibs) and Reilly. Kind of explodes that wonderful Jambo myth about "most one-sided rivalry" that is often espoused on kickback.

It's also quite a tricky one to pick in the sense that many of the "better" players moved elsewhere fairly early in their career, particularly in the modern era. Do you pick someone with hundreds of appearances, but probably of lesser ability, than someone who didn't achieve as much with the club because he was sold?

The EEN did a thing a few years ago where they got Hibs and Hearts fans to vote on their respective clubs' all time XI.

As you'd expect the Hibs team had Reilly, Smith, Stanton, Baker, etc.

The Jambos team was full of dross like Gary MacKay and Sandy Clark.

hibsbollah
15-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Jose Quitongo vs Latapy?
Takis Fyssas vs Sauzee?

:-P

.Sean.
15-04-2011, 09:29 AM
It was a double sided poster IIRC Bawheid. Hibs eleven was Goram, Brownlie, Blackley, Sauzee, Schaedler, Smith, Turnbull, Stanton, Ormond, Reilly and Baker.

bawheid
15-04-2011, 09:45 AM
It was a double sided poster IIRC Bawheid. Hibs eleven was Goram, Brownlie, Blackley, Sauzee, Schaedler, Smith, Turnbull, Stanton, Ormond, Reilly and Baker.

Decent team that!

greenlex
15-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Decent team that!
Cheating with two goalies. :agree: