PDA

View Full Version : Credit to CC - Summer clearance - spot on with who leaves.

AlbertK86
13-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Hat off to Colin. He went on a horrendous run when he first came in. He was subject to a lot of sniping from people who said he wasn't the man for the job.

Totally unfair in my opinion as he was playing with the deck of cards he'd been dealt.

He stood firm in the face of rising criticism and believed in his own decision making ability.

He did what he said he was going to do and gave everyone the chance to show what they could do.

He has spotted in a matter of months what Mixu and Yogi didn't - that McBride, Rankin, Hogg and Nish were not good enough. Out of these four I do feel sorry for Hogg who had a couple of good seasons alongside Jonesy but his confidence was completely gone towards the end. The other three to me were never good enough and I felt that these 3 more than anybody else were a disgrace against Ayr in the cup. Their attitude that night was stinking. They looked to me as if they were trying to get CC out the door. Did they know the writing was on the wall for them... certainly looked like it but it has now backfired on them and i feel that was the final nail in their coffins.

As soon as CC got his own boys in we have grown as a team. No longer the oompa loompa's and we are now fighting for each other.

Hopefully now he has shown he can spot who is not a player he can go on to prove he can spot a player...... started off reasonably well with Palsson in particular.

Perhaps by coming from outside scottish football he has been able to look objectively at the set up here and won't just pick up journeymen like Nish, Rankin and McBride who weren't exactly shining stars when they were brought to Hibs

Well done Colin. You look like you may well be the man to get this famous club back on course and get us back to the standard of players we were used to.

Rolo
13-04-2011, 09:03 PM
:top markswell said

Leithenhibby
13-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Totally agree 100%.. CC has given everyone a fair kick at the baw and he has now pin pointed the ones for the chop.

I have total faith in this man to get it right. We all knew that it was going to happen and that there would be disappointments along the way. We also knew that it wouldn't happen over night.

It will be interesting to see where he goes from here with regards who will be next in, and OUT .... :wink:

greenlex
13-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Hat off to Colin. He went on a horrendous run when he first came in. He was subject to a lot of sniping from people who said he wasn't the man for the job.

Totally unfair in my opinion as he was playing with the deck of cards he'd been dealt.

He stood firm in the face of rising criticism and believed in his own decision making ability.

He did what he said he was going to do and gave everyone the chance to show what they could do.

He has spotted in a matter of months what Mixu and Yogi didn't - that McBride, Rankin, Hogg and Nish were not good enough. Out of these four I do feel sorry for Hogg who had a couple of good seasons alongside Jonesy but his confidence was completely gone towards the end. The other three to me were never good enough and I felt that these 3 more than anybody else were a disgrace against Ayr in the cup. Their attitude that night was stinking. They looked to me as if they were trying to get CC out the door. Did they know the writing was on the wall for them... certainly looked like it but it has now backfired on them and i feel that was the final nail in their coffins.

As soon as CC got his own boys in we have grown as a team. No longer the oompa loompa's and we are now fighting for each other.

Hopefully now he has shown he can spot who is not a player he can go on to prove he can spot a player...... started off reasonably well with Palsson in particular.

Perhaps by coming from outside scottish football he has been able to look objectively at the set up here and won't just pick up journeymen like Nish, Rankin and McBride who weren't exactly shining stars when they were brought to Hibs

Well done Colin. You look like you may well be the man to get this famous club back on course and get us back to the standard of players we were used to.
The bit I have highlighted is utter pish. The whole team underperformed against ayr and to single out three players is just wrong.

R'Albin
13-04-2011, 09:53 PM
The bit I have highlighted is utter pish. The whole team underperformed against ayr and to single out three players is just wrong.

Booth played quite well when he came on :wink:

Tonez
13-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Summer clearance. Re - Keepers

Brown

Stack

Smith

Divis (spelling)?

Who in your opinion will be kept and booted.

I like Stack and think we play better when he's in goals but he's mostly injured, Brown is the better keeper but his kicking is woefull. Smiths ****** and i dont think ive seen the other play yet.

HibeeSince85
13-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Smiths offski. Brown n Divis should be here next year, Stack's fitness will decide his deal.

I'm happy with those 3, if Stack goes get another keeper in.

Keepers haven't really been the problem.

CallumLaidlaw
14-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Smiths offski. Brown n Divis should be here next year, Stack's fitness will decide his deal.

I'm happy with those 3, if Stack goes get another keeper in.

Keepers haven't really been the problem.

Been a while since we've been able to say that.

Although I have no confidence in Smith whatsoever

Big Frank
14-04-2011, 07:51 AM

Some good points there.

I am actually very happy with CC :agree: . He inherited all that was wrong and at least has the core of the team fighting for the famous jersey. That'll do for now. A nice run in with some more hard fought wins will do nicely. Some real backing by the board and good use of the freed up wages in the close season are the next steps.

I would like to see Hibernian raise the bar for next season. I want them determined to challenge for every honour available.

Mixu got the job too early in his management career for me. Hughes was never a Hibernian manager IMO.

Andy74
14-04-2011, 08:28 AM

With the exception of McBride the rest would have been emptied by Hughes anyway. It was CC that brought them back to the team for a while.

Speedway
14-04-2011, 08:40 AM
With the exception of McBride the rest would have been emptied by Hughes anyway. It was CC that brought them back to the team for a while.

Move on John.

Another key indicator about CC is player comments both public and private.

'Desperate to win for the manager'

'Gaffer has been brilliant'

'Gaffer commands respect'

'Gaffer's been different class since he came in, we're all desperate to do well for him'

'Gaffer talks you through certain little things'

'With the level he's played at including world cups, if you can't learn from him, you can't learn from anyone'

Hanlon, Murray, Riordan, Thornhill and Booth among those quotes.

Proper manager as opposed to slavering bully.

soupy
14-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Tend to agree wi you speedway.....

Andy74
14-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Move on John.

'Gaffer's been different class since he came in, we're all desperate to do well for him'

'With the level he's played at including world cups, if you can't learn from him, you can't learn from anyone'

The opening post was suggesting that CC was doing something that Hughes hadn't spotted. That's rubbish. There's plenty to criticise Hughes over but he had already shown that Hogg, Rankin and Nish in particular were not in his plans.

Stevie Reid
14-04-2011, 08:48 AM
The opening post was suggesting that CC was doing something that Hughes hadn't spotted. That's rubbish. There's plenty to criticise Hughes over but he had already shown that Hogg, Rankin and Nish in particular were not in his plans.

I would agree with that. Although I am glad Hughes moved on, those 3 were the most heavily criticised on here, but Hughes didn't sign them and gave them a chance before deciding that they weren't going to take us further - which is exactly what the OP has just praised CC for doing.

Speedway
14-04-2011, 08:48 AM

No he hadn't. He'd play Hogg for instance, then drop him, then bring him back, then let him be crap for weeks then drop him again.

Rankin got a regular game under Hughes, as did Nish.

Stevie Reid
14-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Agree with this also.

Dirkster23
14-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Unfortunately when Hughes spoted a weakness in the team he filled it with players like De Graff, Grounds and Hart. At the same time he appeared not to rate Booth, our most promising young player.

Stevie Reid
14-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Unfortunately when Hughes spoted a weakness in the team he filled it with players like De Graff, Grounds and Hart. At the same time he appeared not to rate Booth, our most promising young player.

That's not really true is it? He put him out on loan for 3 months and got Grounds in for 3 months - whilst Grounds wasn't a very good signing, CB has clearly benefitted from his loan spell. There's no guarantee that Booth would've had the same impact on the team had he not gone out on loan

Frazerbob
14-04-2011, 09:01 AM
CC should have been able to send out a team capable of beating Ayr, even with the players he inherited. Those TWO performances were a disgrace and the manager is every bit as culpable as any player. To not score in 2 games against a 2nd division side is unacceptable for any Hibs team.

The other issue I have is why it took him three weeks of the transfer window to get his new players in. He knew long before January that the squad was woefully lacking in bite and goals. Had the new players signed a week earlier we could all be looking forward to a trip to Hampden this weekend.

Dirkster23
14-04-2011, 09:03 AM
That's not really true is it? He put him out on loan for 3 months and got Grounds in for 3 months - whilst Grounds wasn't a very good signing, CB has clearly benefitted from his loan spell. There's no guarantee that Booth would've had the same impact on the team had he not gone out on loan

I'm not sure, there's been plenty posts on here stating that JH didn't rate Callum Booth.

Phil D. Rolls
14-04-2011, 09:07 AM
I don't think what CC has done has been that special. Fitba folk kent whit wis gaun oan, and any of them would have had the team in the same position now.

JimBHibees
14-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Totally agree the performance that night was woeful and no way that 3 players could be singled out. Others including Deek (playing against a 16 year old) and Murray skinned dreadfully for the goal could equally been pointed out. That night was rock bottom and not about individuals but a collective team failure against an average second division team we would now beat by about 4.

JimBHibees
14-04-2011, 09:17 AM

Hogg was his captain and he persevered with him for months when it was as clear as the nose on his face how bad he was.

Borderhibbie76
14-04-2011, 09:23 AM

Come on Yogi..we know it's you!!! That's right of course you would have emptied 3 of your permanent fixtures in the first team....you even considered making Rankin captain at one point!!!:rolleyes:

Andy74
14-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Hogg was his captain and he persevered with him for months when it was as clear as the nose on his face how bad he was.

He was Captain but he was dropped regularly and by the end he was out the picture, same with the rest.

They only reappeared after Hughes had gone.

No big deal but the opening post is just incorrect in suggesting getting rid of these guys was something Hughes was not planning.

JimBHibees
14-04-2011, 09:35 AM
He was Captain but he was dropped regularly and by the end he was out the picture, same with the rest.

They only reappeared after Hughes had gone.

No big deal but the opening post is just incorrect in suggesting getting rid of these guys was something Hughes was not planning.

Not sure about that all 3 were still playing and or sub pretty much up until Yogi left.

Reaper
14-04-2011, 10:00 AM
CC should have been able to send out a team capable of beating Ayr, even with the players he inherited. Those TWO performances were a disgrace and the manager is every bit as culpable as any player. To not score in 2 games against a 2nd division side is unacceptable for any Hibs team.

The other issue I have is why it took him three weeks of the transfer window to get his new players in. He knew long before January that the squad was woefully lacking in bite and goals. Had the new players signed a week earlier we could all be looking forward to a trip to Hampden this weekend.

In his defence I think out of the players signed, only Thornhill was one of his orginal targets. From what I hear from his brother he was well on course to getting two players, one a striker and a centre midfielder in the first week, but then the clubs they were coming from included one again and the other sacked their manager so the deals fell through. Don't think you can blame him for that.

LeithBoozy
14-04-2011, 10:12 AM
With eight wages already freed=up, with another possible eight or nine to go?. It is a very good chance to get in six or seven good effective class players, who will make a big difference. No-one on the board can say the financies are not there this close season, so answer your critics in the best possible way by backing CC all the way. :wink:

jdships
14-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Stuart 7-0
" I felt that these 3 more than anybody else were a disgrace against Ayr in the cup. Their attitude that night was stinking. They looked to me as if they were trying to get CC out the door. Did they know the writing was on the wall for them... certainly looked like it but it has now backfired on them and i feel that was the final nail in their coffins. "

Must take issue with you on this. :greengrin
I take it you were at Somerset Park that night and witnessed things first hand ?
I was and saw that every Hibs player , without exception , was " tried and found guilty" that night
The three players you mention have been singled out all season as not good enough etc etc - with which I can't really argue
To make them the scapegoats for the loss to Ayr is utter nonsense

Speedway
14-04-2011, 10:38 AM

The original deals collapsed though didn't they?

Meanwhile I see Trakys is the latest to get punted today.

jacomo
14-04-2011, 04:24 PM

I personally had absolutely no idea who was or wasn't in Yogi's plans or what his long term plan was... it seemed to change by the day.

AlbertK86
14-04-2011, 05:03 PM

I agree that the whole team were a disgrace but i'll stick by my opinion that they were deliberately playing to get CC out, some of the passing and ridiculous fouls they gave away were ridiculous even by their usual standards. Can't think of another explanation other than them being pished !!!

Also agree that CC was culpable over the two games as

1. he should have been able to instil some sort of fight into the team and
2. he played McBride despite the fact he had just told him he was a goner ! Can understand his lack of motivation to a certain extent.

As for Yogi going to be rid of the said players. I'm not so sure. Seemed to play Rankin and Nish most of the time and was always quick to defend them.

All down to opinions mind you and that's what makes fitba the most talked about subject wherever you go in the world

GGTTH

IWasThere2016
15-04-2011, 07:48 AM

I've another for you ..

'The player's now realise what a joke Yogi was'

Forget Yogi's apologist and moreover the havering baffoon himself!

CC is the man :thumbsup:

mon the cabbage
15-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Good decisions apart from getting rid of Dickoh.

Calderwood being a centre back in his time should know who to get in replacement

ahibby
15-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Good decisions apart from getting rid of Dickoh.

Calderwood being a centre back in his time should know who to get in replacement

I too rate Dicoh and he has decent footballing skills for a CH.

Andy74
15-04-2011, 10:40 AM
I've another for you ..

'The player's now realise what a joke Yogi was'

Forget Yogi's apologist and moreover the havering baffoon himself!

CC is the man :thumbsup:
I believe CC is the man. No need to be getting all pantomime about everything to do with Hughes though.

Hopefully after we go through all this renewal we might get back to the heady heights of 4th which I presume would see CC hailed as a hero regardless of how we get there.

--------
15-04-2011, 11:02 AM
I believe CC is the man. No need to be getting all pantomime about everything to do with Hughes though.

Hopefully after we go through all this renewal we might get back to the heady heights of 4th which I presume would see CC hailed as a hero regardless of how we get there.

There might be if people want to re-write the history regarding him. The man was a buffoon and a bully; by the end of his time at ER no-one, including himself, had a clue what the best selection was or where the team was going - except into the First Division.

To suggest that there was some sort of calculation in his sending Callum Booth out on loan just isn't true - he didn't reckon Callum and gave him no chance - not even in pre-season. He persevered with Hogg when it was clear Hogg had lost all confidence, even making him team captain, a decision I never have and never will understand. He assembled the smallest midfield in the SPL, which he MIGHT have got away with if he'd had a couple of really competitive hard-tacklers in there, but he hadn't. What he had was verging on a Falkirk Old Boys' Ensemble.

He knew we had a problem at full-back, so first season up he plays Wotherspoon, a 19-year-old midfield player at RB and Ian Murray at LB. They do OK, but clearly aren't a long-term option, so he signs Hart (past it) and Grounds (on loan, a CB) while putting a real LB out on loan for a second time because he doesn't reckon him.

I could go on. And on.

CC took a while to get grounded, and gave me personally conniptions up to the end of January, because I genuinely began to wonder if he had left it all too late and we were actually going to go down.

But if I had the choice between Hughes bawling and shouting at the players from the dug-out, laying into them in public like he did to Paul Hanlon, on-field, after one game not long before he left, and then justifying it all by claiming the "real fitbaw folks ken what's happening here" - which translated means that the fans who weren't happy with thing knew nothing and should shut up - and Calderwood's quiet dignity and accurate, measured post-match responses, I'll always take CC.

As the OP said, he's clearing out the right people after giving them - ALL of them - a fair chance to justify their retention. He's brought in Scott, Palsson, Thornhill, Divis, Sodje, Towell and Vaz Te. We haven't seen Divis, and Matt Thornhill has been troubled with a stubborn knee injury, but not one of them can fairly be said to have proved to be a bad signing - my hope is that VT and Towell sign up for a longer spell at ER, but I rather fear they may get a better offer - Towell certainly I expect to be back at Parkhead next season.

He doesn't single players out, but he doesn't let the team off the hook if he feels they should have done better. I'm happy so far. That's all.

Stevie Reid
15-04-2011, 11:09 AM
To suggest that there was some sort of calculation in his sending Callum Booth out on loan just isn't true - he didn't reckon Callum and gave him no chance - not even in pre-season

How do you know? Putting a young LB out on loan to get first team experience for 3 months whilst getting a more experienced LB in on loan for the same 3 months seems pretty calculated to me.

truehibernian
15-04-2011, 11:16 AM
There might be if people want to re-write the history regarding him. The man was a buffoon and a bully; by the end of his time at ER no-one, including himself, had a clue what the best selection was or where the team was going - except into the First Division.

To suggest that there was some sort of calculation in his sending Callum Booth out on loan just isn't true - he didn't reckon Callum and gave him no chance - not even in pre-season. He persevered with Hogg when it was clear Hogg had lost all confidence, even making him team captain, a decision I never have and never will understand. He assembled the smallest midfield in the SPL, which he MIGHT have got away with if he'd had a couple of really competitive hard-tacklers in there, but he hadn't. What he had was verging on a Falkirk Old Boys' Ensemble.

He knew we had a problem at full-back, so first season up he plays Wotherspoon, a 19-year-old midfield player at RB and Ian Murray at LB. They do OK, but clearly aren't a long-term option, so he signs Hart (past it) and Grounds (on loan, a CB) while putting a real LB out on loan for a second time because he doesn't reckon him.

I could go on. And on.

CC took a while to get grounded, and gave me personally conniptions up to the end of January, because I genuinely began to wonder if he had left it all too late and we were actually going to go down.

But if I had the choice between Hughes bawling and shouting at the players from the dug-out, laying into them in public like he did to Paul Hanlon, on-field, after one game not long before he left, and then justifying it all by claiming the "real fitbaw folks ken what's happening here" - which translated means that the fans who weren't happy with thing knew nothing and should shut up - and Calderwood's quiet dignity and accurate, measured post-match responses, I'll always take CC.

As the OP said, he's clearing out the right people after giving them - ALL of them - a fair chance to justify their retention. He's brought in Scott, Palsson, Thornhill, Divis, Sodje, Towell and Vaz Te. We haven't seen Divis, and Matt Thornhill has been troubled with a stubborn knee injury, but not one of them can fairly be said to have proved to be a bad signing - my hope is that VT and Towell sign up for a longer spell at ER, but I rather fear they may get a better offer - Towell certainly I expect to be back at Parkhead next season.

He doesn't single players out, but he doesn't let the team off the hook if he feels they should have done better. I'm happy so far. That's all.

I had lunch with someone who recently met a well respected football agent (yes, I know, hard to believe :greengrin), and to kind of paraphrase what CC said to him was words to the effect that he could not believe the mess that had been left behind by Hughes at Hibernian. He did not go into great detail, however fair to say it puts the work that CC (especially) has done to raise the bar at the club into the "extraordinary" bracket. Works like a trojan apparently, makes the ultimate family sacrifice for his job (family down south etc) and this guy was full of praise for him as an all round manager. Also told me a funny story about CC having his only wee "rattle out the pram" moment at Craig Brown during the 2-1 win at ER regards an incident with Darren Randolph :greengrin CC made a right tit of him apparently. Sadly he also said that whilst DA is a great coach, his fault is to keep his mouth shut towards fourth officials............doesn't get offensive with what he says, purely doesn't keep his mouth shut. So the ban may be justified, who knows.

essexhibee
15-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Stephens and Hanlon at CB is a big call imo. Lack of experience in there.

Thats where Darren Dods comes in :greengrin.

c31
15-04-2011, 11:56 AM
CC said to him was words to the effect that he could not believe the mess that had been left behind by Hughes at Hibernian.

I think most Hibs fans realised the mess that Hughes was creating at ER, it was blindingly obvious to even non fitba folk he was making a complete mess of our club.

Thanks God that the board move him or we were doomed....

CC neesds a decent budget and full support from all the fans.

Speedway
15-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I think most Hibs fans realised the mess that Hughes was creating at ER, it was blindingly obvious to even non fitba folk he was making a complete mess of our club.

Thanks God that the board move him or we were doomed....

CC neesds a decent budget and full support from all the fans.

It was still a shock, having a geared up for a highly charged AGM that night, to have the news come through so early in the morning that Hughes had been given his chips.

R'Albin
15-04-2011, 12:12 PM

I could go on. And on.

:top marks

bawheid
15-04-2011, 12:24 PM
To suggest that there was some sort of calculation in his sending Callum Booth out on loan just isn't true - he didn't reckon Callum and gave him no chance - not even in pre-season.

I agree with a lot of your post Doddie, but there's no proof whatsoever for the above.

Booth had zero 1st XI experience at left-back. It's quite common to put such a youngster out on loan for a period.

There are quite a few sticks to beat Yogi with. I don't think putting Callum Booth out on loan is one of them.

Cropley10
15-04-2011, 12:36 PM

You think Yogi would have moved Rankin on?:confused:

IWasThere2016
15-04-2011, 12:52 PM

:faf: I want a manager fit to manage the club. Hughes wasn't - time you got over that also :wink:

--------
15-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree with a lot of your post Doddie, but there's no proof whatsoever for the above.

Booth had zero 1st XI experience at left-back. It's quite common to put such a youngster out on loan for a period.

There are quite a few sticks to beat Yogi with. I don't think putting Callum Booth out on loan is one of them.

I can agree with you over the first loan spell - Callum needed the games, and it was sense to put him out on loan and play IM at left-back.

The second spell was a different matter, however. You can believe me or disbelieve me, but I can assure you that there would have been little to no chance of Callum playing for Hibs if Yogi had stayed on.

Did he really consider Jonathan Grounds a better prospect at LB than CB?

If he did, that confirms my estimate of his judgement of a player. We are SO well rid of the buffoon.

MrSmith
15-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think we should beat any of our ex-managers with big sticks! Thank them for their contribution and move on!

Haymaker
15-04-2011, 01:03 PM

If they were under contract then Hibs could (read should) not be able to speak with them regarding a move. So he had to wait until January 1st.

First you must sound out whether a player is available. The board or DoF usually deals with this, speak with the manager/head coach, decides if the player is available.

Once he is available a bid must be accepted. This will take time when finances are tight.

After that the club must sit with the players agent and discuss terms. This will take time.

The club must also persuade the player to move to the club. This will take longer if it means a step down, a change in league and country. At the time we were sliding towards the bottom of the table seemingly unable to win, for some of the players (pallsson for example) this would take some time to persuade. Also factor that the players family will also need persuading if it involves moving children and country.

Once all that is agreed, then it must be processed through the FA. This will take longer if it involved different countries FAs. And our own FA are just brilliant and organised arent they? Then said player must make the move.

It doesnt suprise me it took so long, we got the players in the end.

--------
15-04-2011, 01:05 PM
II don't think we should beat any of our ex-managers with big sticks! Thank them for their contribution and move on!

Jim Duffy, a dark night, a canal, and a length of lead pipe.

:devil:

MrSmith
15-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Jim Duffy, a dark night, a canal, and a length of lead pipe.

:devil:

I thought you were a christian Doddie? :greengrin

Golden Bear
15-04-2011, 01:17 PM

Richie Towell seemed to make the progression without any problems whatsoever and whether Callum Booth was a better player because of his spell out on loan is questionable - but i don't know the answer to that one.

greenlex
15-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Here is the truth. Callum Booth didn't reckon Yogi and wanted to go out on loan. He was sick of his bully boy tactics. He was/is good enough for first team fitba but yogi couldn't see it. Callum wanted to be anywhere but near Yogi.

Dashing Bob S
15-04-2011, 02:01 PM

You never heard of the just war?

Frazerbob
15-04-2011, 02:38 PM
If they were under contract then Hibs could (read should) not be able to speak with them regarding a move. So he had to wait until January 1st.

First you must sound out whether a player is available. The board or DoF usually deals with this, speak with the manager/head coach, decides if the player is available.

Once he is available a bid must be accepted. This will take time when finances are tight.

After that the club must sit with the players agent and discuss terms. This will take time.

The club must also persuade the player to move to the club. This will take longer if it means a step down, a change in league and country. At the time we were sliding towards the bottom of the table seemingly unable to win, for some of the players (pallsson for example) this would take some time to persuade. Also factor that the players family will also need persuading if it involves moving children and country.

Once all that is agreed, then it must be processed through the FA. This will take longer if it involved different countries FAs. And our own FA are just brilliant and organised arent they? Then said player must make the move.

It doesnt suprise me it took so long, we got the players in the end.

OK, so tell me how other clubs manage to unviel new signings on January 1st? Infact, I'm sure we announced a new signing the previous January window just after midnight when the window opened. (can't remember who it was before you ask).

JimBHibees
15-04-2011, 02:44 PM

Hibs would be able to approach any club about a contracted player prior to Jan 1st just not be able to sign them before that. As it happens as CC indicated at the time 2 or 3 deals were set up but for different reasons, injury, manager (prob Hughton being sacked), etc they fell apart. I think we just need to accept these things happen as I am sure CC in January would have wanted players in as soon as given how bad our form was at the time.

Haymaker
15-04-2011, 03:02 PM
OK, so tell me how other clubs manage to unviel new signings on January 1st? Infact, I'm sure we announced a new signing the previous January window just after midnight when the window opened. (can't remember who it was before you ask).

Not many players are available to "pre-sign" before Jan 1st. Namely clubs dont like to do business outside of the windows incase they cant replace or suddenly need the player.

So maybe Hibs had sounded out and agreed money with some clubs. The player then waits to see how the window turns out. If you are waiting on the sidelines for a chance, you might wait that little while longer to see if the manager brings in a new player over you.

But then of course it is all down to persuading the player and his agents. I know a few agents and players (as I work with them) and they would say that this is the most serious time, most agents will sit and wait, wait, wait, wait till the last moment of a transfer window possible before advising a player to move. It sometimes (not always) makes the player (and therefore the agent) more money.

The January transfer window is a very tricky time for clubs and agents know it and force them to wait. As the days tick by the clubs start to panic, it is all about who blinks first in January.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Doddie would hunt him down.

And forgive him. :wink: