PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson

Simkin911's-Son
13-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Seemed to have so much potential back then. So much expectations on the lad. Such a shame he seems to have gone downhill since the cup final. I hope he is given a new 1 year contract to prove his worth. :agree::hnet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1D4i1peseg

hibsbollah
13-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Hopefully he'll keep a place in the squad, even if not the first eleven. I like him.

Reaper
13-04-2011, 01:12 PM
For Hibs, if they decided to give him a year long deal and retain him as a squad player I'm sure it'd be reasonable business. However, maybe it's in the lads own interests to look elsewhere for the benefit of his career. I've no doubt he could go to a club like St Johnstone, St Mirren, Dunfermline, Raith etc and play in their first team no problem and possibly get his career back on track. :aok:

essexhibee
13-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Id give him an extension.
Grear input there I know! :wink:

Stevie Reid
13-04-2011, 02:55 PM
On the basis of his performances this year, I would offer him another one year deal - however, if CC lets him go then he obviously believes that he can replace him with better.

Seveno
13-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd like to see him get a new contract. He always works hard and he is a lot more positive now under CC. He has learned how to pass the ball forward again and take a risk.

Stantons Angel
13-04-2011, 03:05 PM
:greengrinDont know what brought this up again? Must be nothing much going on at the moment?

Lewis has shown his worth in a Hibs jersey and should be handed another contract. Maybe when he burst on to the scene in the cup final we, us the supporters expected too much from him.

He was so young then and took his chance when it came along. He has been in and out of the team the past few seasons and has never moaned to the media. Not like some of our so called "better players" nor has his conduct been as unbecoming of a Hibs' player as them either.

So i for one would like to see him stay and fight for his place. He wont let us down!

(maybe put in some shooting practice tho?)

easty
13-04-2011, 03:17 PM
I'd happily be proven wrong but, for me, Stevenson has had his chance and should be allowed to leave. Aye he played really well in the cup final, no doubt about that and he'll be rightly remembered for it, but has he got any better since then? Has he put in many (any) performances as good since?

For me, he's another of these players who the fans always say "he works hard" or "he always gives his all". Never anything about his actual footballing ability.

I don't see him being in or about the starting 11 next season, not with the players we already have in the midfield, added to the fact that I expect CC will be bringing in new bodies over the summer.

Though, as I said, I'll happily hold my hands up and say I was wrong if he turns out to be a good player for us next season.

GreenPJ
13-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I think and hope Lewis is given an extension.

He has more potential than the likes of Scott who is doing a good job for us but not sure he has a lot more to give than he currently has. Lewis could do that job and more but still needs to learn. A first team squad with reasonable game time over the next year and I would expect him to be pushing Scott hard the following year. Also has the ability to play a few positions.

Beefster
13-04-2011, 03:32 PM
If there is better available elsewhere on the same or less money, let him go. He's never going to be good enough to be a regular in a team of the quality that we/Hibs should be aiming for.

Harsh but true.

DC_Hibs
13-04-2011, 03:42 PM
:greengrinDont know what brought this up again? Must be nothing much going on at the moment?

Lewis has shown his worth in a Hibs jersey and should be handed another contract. Maybe when he burst on to the scene in the cup final we, us the supporters expected too much from him.

He was so young then and took his chance when it came along. He has been in and out of the team the past few seasons and has never moaned to the media. Not like some of our so called "better players" nor has his conduct been as unbecoming of a Hibs' player as them either.

So i for one would like to see him stay and fight for his place. He wont let us down!

I'd hope Calderwood bases it on ability first and foremost rather than "he's a great laddie" that many do.
23 year old is plenty of time to prove yourself.
Sorry Angel but there's plenty other bairns coming thru that will give you a lift to the Bingo.

Next.

jdships
13-04-2011, 04:17 PM

:top marks

basehibby
13-04-2011, 04:49 PM
If there is better available elsewhere on the same or less money, let him go. He's never going to be good enough to be a regular in a team of the quality that we/Hibs should be aiming for.

Harsh but true.

Never say never - but right now, a few years after his MOM in the League Cup victory, he's still not holding down a regular 1st team jersey at Hibs.
I think it might be better for Lewis's own development if he moves to a club which will give him a regular game and let him develop to his full potential.
It worked for Paul Hartley who dropped down a division for a couple of seasons and came back up stronger and became a regular international.

Simkin911's-Son
13-04-2011, 05:08 PM

:greengrin I was just going through some youtube videos of Hibs and came across this one eh :wink: its just amazing to think that with all the potential he seemed to have back then, that he still hasn't developed as he probably should of.

David@EasterRoad
13-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Never say never - but right now, a few years after his MOM in the League Cup victory, he's still not holding down a regular 1st team jersey at Hibs.
I think it might be better for Lewis's own development if he moves to a club which will give him a regular game and let him develop to his full potential.
It worked for Paul Hartley who dropped down a division for a couple of seasons and came back up stronger and became a regular international.

Hartley is a good example, Lewis has many similarities with a young paul hartley. Plenty ability but too lightweight and not sure what his position is in the team.

scoopyboy
13-04-2011, 06:52 PM
I don't go along with the theory give him a 1 year deal cos he will be alright as a squad player.

Basically that approach means he's not good enough for the first eleven.

I would like to think they could replace Lewis with someone that would challenge to be a first team regular.

Lewis is a good lad but needs to try and rescue his career elsewhere.

Sir David Gray
13-04-2011, 09:12 PM
The harsh reality is that Lewis Stevenson is now 23 years old, he's no longer a youngster. Despite making his league debut almost 5 years ago, he's still not managed to develop into a regular first team pick for Hibs.

Stevenson is a decent player and he could probably do well at a team like St Johnstone or St Mirren but for where we want to be and where we should be, I don't think he's quite good enough.

Winston Ingram
13-04-2011, 09:17 PM
The harsh reality is that Lewis Stevenson is now 23 years old, he's no longer a youngster. Despite making his league debut almost 5 years ago, he's still not managed to develop into a regular first team pick for Hibs.

Stevenson is a decent player and he could probably do well at a team like St Johnstone or St Mirren but for where we want to be and where we should be, I don't think he's quite good enough.

I think that is more down to the series of fuds that have managed us since then

cabbageandribs1875
13-04-2011, 09:33 PM
always amazes me that the biggest accolade young lewis gets is 'he was great in the cup final' jeeeezus gawd that was FOUR YEARS ago :rolleyes: and now a succession of different managers are getting the blame for not playing him regularly, but he's a nice laddie so lets give him a wage lol

Stantons Angel
13-04-2011, 09:54 PM
"Sorry Angel but there's plenty other bairns coming thru that will give you a lift to the Bingo."

Sorry but i think you have me mixed up with someone else? Dont be showing yourself up for the lack of wit that you think you have.......

Its Lewis that the conversation is around, show a little respect!

Silly boy!

:na na:

Sir David Gray
13-04-2011, 10:06 PM

He did play fairly regularly under Collins and Paatelainen and obviously that was at a time when he got the MOTM award in the cup final but Mowbray hardly played him at all and neither did Hughes. Now Calderwood doesn't seem to fancy him either as he's hardly played a full game of football for the last two years.

Time for him to try his luck elsewhere I think. I certainly wish him all the best.

easty
13-04-2011, 10:15 PM

Can't agree with that.

Whenever Stevenson has had the chance to show what he can do on the park he should have been doing all he could to show he was worthy of a place in the side and worthy of an extended deal. He hasn't.

jakedance
13-04-2011, 10:28 PM
It seems like Lewis is almost criticised for having the game of his life in a cup final. Players are supposed to do that. Maybe if a few more in our history had raised their games on the big occasions we'd have a better record in the cups.

Lewis has never let us down and he's a good squad player. If he is offered a deal I'm sure he'll be useful. If, as looks more likely, he moves on then I hope he does well wherever he goes.

crewetollhibee
14-04-2011, 12:23 AM
Too many on here quoting his MOTM award in the CIS Final. He was awarded that by Ian McCaul, who noticed him in the early stages on a few occasions. Lewis' performance was good yes, but compared to Benji, Fletcher, Brown, Boozy, Murphy and Jones, he was a competent part of the team; no more. Not being critical of the lad (he didn't give the award to himself after all). MOTM he may officially have been, but he wasn't Hibs' best player on the day.Not by a long chalk.

500miles
14-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Lewis has played well on just about every occassion ive seen him under Calderwood.
In fact, there is legitimate grounds for his inclusion at he expense of Liam Miller at times.

brydekirk
14-04-2011, 06:24 AM
:agree:

Harsh but true.

marinello59
14-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Too many on here quoting his MOTM award in the CIS Final. He was awarded that by Ian McCaul, who noticed him in the early stages on a few occasions. Lewis' performance was good yes, but compared to Benji, Fletcher, Brown, Boozy, Murphy and Jones, he was a competent part of the team; no more. Not being critical of the lad (he didn't give the award to himself after all). MOTM he may officially have been, but he wasn't Hibs' best player on the day.Not by a long chalk.

I picked him out as MOTM at the game regardless of what the official nomination was. Opinions eh?
He's not a first team regular and it doesn't look like he ever will be so probably now is a good time for him to move on.

sesoim
14-04-2011, 05:57 PM

:agree: Totally agree. Stevenson did a few basic passes and had one hard shot at goal. Woopedoo!

Stevenson is nothing but a player to make up the numbers when we have injuries. He does nothing of great importance that thousands of other players couldn't do. When we are struggling, he does nothing to step up to the table (apart from the odd overly hard tackle). He was overrated from the start - I couldn't see what the fuss was about four years ago - and I'm afraid he has done nothing to change my mind since.

He goes with my best wishes, but Hibs can do a lot better.

Shrekko
14-04-2011, 06:29 PM
A lot depends here on whether we can accept that a club like Hibs need 'squad players'. I've got to say I don't think it's realistic to expect us to have 20 guys all capable of being regular starters in a top 3/4 side. I doubt we can afford 20 players of that ilk.

I've been a critic of Lewis for his lack of development and not grabbing the many chances he's had.... but somehow I'd like to see him stick around. Why can our 'average' players not be our home produced ones as opposed to seeking them out in far flung places?

If he's happy to stay and not hard to deal with it's got to be an option.

snooky
14-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I like Lewis as a player.
I got this gut feeling that he will leave and go on to prove himself a better player than he is with us.
It pains me to say this but, I think a move to St Johnstone (or the like) would do wonders for him.

hibee1994
14-04-2011, 06:51 PM
This is my first post so bear with me. :flag:

In my opinion Lewis is the type of player who really has the ability or potential but can't seem to channel it into his performances and it's disappointing to me. In fact he sometimes looks worse than he actually is. As a west stand season ticket holder i go to virtually every home game but whenever he comes on i always get nervous of what is going to happen. If we are losing and he comes on i lose hope of gaining an equaliser. Maybe if he was to go on a season long loan to a lower SPL side like st. johnstone he might start to develop that potential we all saw in him but unfortunately i don't see him improving with us in the next few years and it's important for the lad at 23 to be getting some first team football which may become less and less should calderwood pull off a spectacular summer window as he did in january.

Maybe deserves another year contract to prove himself but he really needs to improve over the next few years if he is to stay with us. He might just pull out the stops for Calderwood during the end of season run though, we never know.