PDA

View Full Version : Colin Stein

Leith Green
13-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Quite a random question I know, but do any of the older Hibs.net members know or remember wether Colin Stein was a Hibs fan as laddie or not?? I know Colin was a great goalscorer at both clubs and the first £100 000 player between two scottish clubs, but Im wanting to know the above question.. Settle a work debate :aok:

HNA8
13-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Hun

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Colin-Stein-still-keen-40.5824376.jp

Football chants were uncomplicated in 1967 and I remember the popular Cowshed refrain at Easter Road as being "Colin, Colin, Colin Stein ... (next line) ... Colin, Colin Stein." But the Scotsman's Ed, a man not to be doubted, says the pay-off was "The greatest player the world's ever seen". This may have been the Rangers version; they were "the peepul", after all. They loved him at Ibrox too, probably more, for Rangers were his boyhood heroes.

heretoday
13-04-2011, 12:35 PM
He wasn't as good as Una Mclean as I recall.:wink:

The Hibee Harp
13-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Quite a random question I know, but do any of the older Hibs.net members know or remember wether Colin Stein was a Hibs fan as laddie or not?? I know Colin was a great goalscorer at both clubs and the first £100 000 player between two scottish clubs, but Im wanting to know the above question.. Settle a work debate :aok:

Colin states in this recent autobiography that he was a supporter of Rangers AND Hibs in his youth.

Leith Green
13-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Hun

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Colin-Stein-still-keen-40.5824376.jp

Cheers mate

Leith Green
13-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Colin states in this recent autobiography that he was a supporter of Rangers AND Hibs in his youth.

Now there is a mix you dont hear too much of, sounds like a Kenny Miller one, boyhood Hibbie when playing for Hibs, signs for huns and he was always a hun with a soft spot for Hibs... Quite laughable really.

Nakedmanoncrack
13-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Now there is a mix you dont hear too much of, sounds like a Kenny Miller one, boyhood Hibbie when playing for Hibs, signs for huns and he was always a hun with a soft spot for Hibs... Quite laughable really.

Strange as it seems, I actually know of 3 Rangers fans all from Edinburgh, all occasional attendees at Ibrox, who also have Hibs sympathies, in the case of one he’s even a member of the Hibs Club. Utterly bizarre.

Jack
13-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Jeez I know a Rangers supporter (and I only call him that for what follow follows otherwise he'd be a hun like the rest of them) that actually wants to be a Hibee! Brought up wrongly, obviously, he now passes ER, with his kids from Dunbar, wishing he wasn't going any further!
Every time I see him I'm chipping away but???
As for the OP he, CS, can do one. Probably the first M8 I recognised as one of the modern day mercenaries.

lapsedhibee
14-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Strange as it seems, I actually know of 3 Rangers fans all from Edinburgh, all occasional attendees at Ibrox, who also have Hibs sympathies, in the case of one he’s even a member of the Hibs Club. Utterly bizarre.

Agree, seems bizarre. Also thought it odd that Colin Stein went to the Huns and then his dad went to Celtc! What's that all about? :confused:

Seanair
14-04-2011, 09:28 AM
A different take on Colin (although I haven't read his book).

A prolific goalscorer who would be worth millions today and be earning shedloads, but ended up going back to his trade (working for Millers the builders as a joiner I believe).

Changed days....

heretoday
14-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Garry O'Connor is a bit like Stein in that he is hardly elegant to watch but bashes his way through to score.

I don't remember Stein as being universally popular at ER for some reason unlike say Cormack or O'Rourke. Going to Ibrox put the seal on it.