PDA

View Full Version : Garry O'Connor released by Barnsley

leither17
11-04-2011, 08:13 PM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/11042011/63/o-connor-leaves-tykes.html

Haven't seen it anywhere else on here wonder if he is worth a year contract back here?

Future17
11-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Haven't seen it anywhere else on here wonder if he is worth a year contract back here?

If he's going to be staying up here while without a club we should offer him training facilities so we can take a look without committing to a deal.

keep the faith
11-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Def worth getting him in til the end of the season for a look before offering a deal if it suits both parties. Could see him banging a few in back up here.

HibeeMcGinn1

100% in my eyes but it's the wages again that could stop it. Would he even want to come back? Wonder why his contract was cancelled. Bring Garry home!!!

hibee92
:pray:

sixtwo
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
sign him up now. cheeky wee pre contract. set the benchmark for next season and get started early:wink:

Makaveli
11-04-2011, 08:27 PM
In a heartbeat.

SRHibs
11-04-2011, 08:29 PM
sign him up now. cheeky wee pre contract. set the benchmark for next season and get started early:wink:

He's unattached now, so as far as I'm aware we could get him transferred in immediately.:agree:

Not sure whether or not I'd like him back though TBQH.

madabouthibs
11-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Oconnor and Riordan?
Up front again for the cabbage?
Could it really happen???
Would it work?
All we need now is Sauzee at centre half! :greengrin

scoopyboy
11-04-2011, 08:32 PM
He's unattached now, so as far as I'm aware we could get him transferred in immediately.:agree:

We could sign him now but couldn't play him until next season.

Basically a pre contract.

sixtwo
11-04-2011, 08:33 PM

he couldn't play as he had already played for birmingham and barnsley. I think we should push the boat out and get him tied down early tho. No doubt the old firm and hearts will be sniffing around

SteveHFC
11-04-2011, 08:33 PM

Westie1875
11-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Oconnor and Riordan? - Yes :greengrin
Up front again for the cabbage? - Yes please :pray:
Could it really happen??? - Hope so
Would it work? - I think it might :greengrin
All we need now is Sauzee at centre half! :greengrin

This would be great, I reckon CC could be the man to get the best out of them as he certainly wouldn't let them slack off. Money could get in the way though.

new malkyhib
11-04-2011, 08:35 PM
We could sign him now but couldn't play him until next season.

Basically a pre contract.

Cue yam interest...

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I know that wages can never be discounted but surely he is fairly well wedged up already? Didn't Mowbray say that his move to Moscow would set him up for life? Maybe money is secondary to playing?

CB_NO3
11-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I doubt he is good enough to play for the Old Firm. 4 goals in 26 games for Barnsley is pretty poor. No sure if he would even be good enough for us. If he cant cut it at Championship level he might have to drop down to League 1. Would still be worth a look though.

HibeeMcGinn1
11-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Twitter - #BringGarryBack get on it :wink:

keep the faith
11-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Cue yam interest...

Yep. That's my fear. This has the yams written all over it. Hopefully garry has enough in the bank to sent them packing.

hibernian36
11-04-2011, 09:14 PM
100% in my eyes but it's the wages again that could stop it. Would he even want to come back? Wonder why his contract was cancelled. Bring Garry home!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but when he left Hibs didn't he say he would like to end up back with us one day (although maybe not this soon) ???

since90plustwo
11-04-2011, 09:16 PM
in take him in a flash. loved the club and the fans. scored goals. not hit it off recently but stokes never scored much in the championship and hes banging them in up here

.Sean.
11-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Pleeeeeeeeease

steakbake
11-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah, he's clearly cut it at a higher level so we'd be blessed to have him back. :wink:

sixtwo
11-04-2011, 09:23 PM
garry would run riot here. He improved after he left us but has struggled recently with injuries. He now has the confidence, the physique and the ability to destroy any defence in scotland on his day.

If we signed him I would be delighted and would believe we have the ambitions to do something next year.

One thing is for sure, signing him and a few others will have season ticket sales soaring.

Get it done hibs, you know it makes sense!

Judas Iscariot
11-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Deeks and Gaz next season :greengrin

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeee CC :pray:

Jones28
11-04-2011, 09:25 PM
would love gary to come back. Riordan, sodje, o'connor and vaz te up front in a 4-2-2-2...class

.Sean.
11-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Anybody else have a wee feeling this'll finally be the time he does come back?

essexhibee
11-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Cmon garry come back to your home. What a signing you would be. There would definitely be a buzz around er if he returned.

Hibs90
11-04-2011, 09:38 PM
If he came back Deek would definatley stay IMO.

R'Albin
11-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Anybody else have a wee feeling this'll finally be the time he does come back?

:agree:

Purehibee_MYB
11-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Get him home!!

SlickShoes
11-04-2011, 09:44 PM
The 6 monthly O'Connor thread! See you guys again in October!:thumbsup:

snooky
11-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Deeks and Gaz next season :greengrin

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaassssseeee CC :pray:

As George Harrison once said about a Beatles reunion...

"You can't re-heat a souffle"

:boo hoo:

steakbake
11-04-2011, 09:51 PM
The 6 monthly O'Connor thread! See you guys again in October!:thumbsup:

:hnet:

Winston Ingram
11-04-2011, 09:57 PM
If he came back Deek would definatley stay IMO.

I think Hibs have to want him to stay first

zlatan
11-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Can't see the old firm being interested if Barnsley are punting him, Celtic don't need and the huns will still have at least Lafferty and Jelavic ahead of him.

Would make sense to give him training facilities between now and the end of the season to have a look, I'm guessing he won't stay to far from EM? Like others said if he were to ever come back now would be the perfect time for it. Sproule and O'Connor as the first two signings announced would certainly make me contemplate getting a ST again.

LeithBoozy
11-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Only If he promises to score a last minute winner against the yams again. :wink:

NOLA
11-04-2011, 11:30 PM
would love him to come back here IF his injuries dont keep holding him back, maybe he still has a point to prove in england though? lets wait and see.

iwasthere1972
11-04-2011, 11:35 PM
He would score goals for fun in the SPL.

Petrie get your cheque book out please.

MWHIBBIES
11-04-2011, 11:41 PM

Pretty Boy
12-04-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd take him back in a minute.

I know Tony Mowbray gets a fair bit of stick on here but he deserves great credit for helping O'Connor get his career on track. Garry was going nowhere under Blobby but Mowbray got him fit and interested. In the season we finished 3rd and the season he got his big move he was brilliant for us. Things may not have gone totally to plan since but scoring the winner in a Russian Cup Final and scoring a few goals in the Premier League and Championship is hardly bad going.

Time to come home Garry, you know it makes sense.

bighairyfaeleith
12-04-2011, 06:16 AM
I think it unlikely, also not convinced he is that good anymore, but if CC decides he is good enough then fair enough.

Kaiser1962
12-04-2011, 06:37 AM
I think it unlikely, also not convinced he is that good anymore, but if CC decides he is good enough then fair enough.

Agreed. We should never look back only forward. O'Connor, like the rest of them, is not the player who left, for whatever reason. He should have done more with his career but has fallen away, sadly.

NeilOrrSquareBa
12-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Obvious question - why was his contract cancelled?

Manxhibs
12-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Obvious question - why was his contract cancelled?

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/04/10/barnsley-leave-robins-reeling-after-budget-cut-102039-23049720/

Dalianwanda
12-04-2011, 07:48 AM
No thanks...Big time Charlie (well he was)..Not the player he was when he left us (although more experience, doubt his heart is in the game now he has his dough)..Would we be craving his return if he hadn't played for us before..?

heretoday
12-04-2011, 07:50 AM
He's a bit injury-prone, no?

we are hibs
12-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Cue yam interest...

he would not sign for them

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/4801995.stm

"I could never go to Hearts. I couldn't do that to Hibs. I have too many friends still there."

MB62
12-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Only If he promises to score a last minute winner against the yams again. :wink:

TEN Men, we only had Ten men :singing:

As for Garry, although I have not seen the man play for quite some time, his recent goal scoring record is not great. Taking him on trial training basis and see how shapes up can do neither party any harm and seems the obvious way to go IMO.

johnrebus
12-04-2011, 08:46 AM
O'Connor's time has come and gone. He has done well enough in the game and probably set himself up for life, but his moment has passed. Good luck to him, but.

No thanks.

:bitchy:

Hibernia Na Eir
12-04-2011, 08:56 AM

can see vlad tryin to sign garry for that lot. He fits their bill of a big CF and, as the unfit and medically knackered kevin kyle may not play for a long time i can see them defo interested in a player like garry o

Andy74
12-04-2011, 09:02 AM
O'Connor's time has come and gone. He has done well enough in the game and probably set himself up for life, but his moment has passed. Good luck to him, but.

No thanks.

A bit like Stokes when he was getting handed around lower league teams after failing at sunderland?

Garry O would be a cracking player up here and is also someone who would give everyone a bit of a lift.

bingo70
12-04-2011, 09:09 AM
A bit like Stokes when he was getting handed around lower league teams after failing at sunderland?

Garry O would be a cracking player up here and is also someone who would give everyone a bit of a lift.

If our forwards next season were to be Garry O, Deeks, Vaz Te and Sodje then i'd be pretty delighted and it'd be a lot better than Deeks, Nish, Trakys, Duffy and Byrne.

My only concern about Garry O coming back up here after he's made his money is that there could be a lot of distractions around, if he wasn't totally focused there's a worry he could go off the rails a bit, that's possibly unfair on him though as i don't know the guy and i'm only basing that concern on rumours about his lifestyle when he was here previously.

Iain G
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM

No thanks.

Nish or O'Connor...you decide... :wink:

Manxhibs
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Time for Garry to come home, let him train with us till the end of the season and then sign him up, he gave me my favourite Easter road memory with that last minute winner against them and so he's always welcome back :hibees

Bishop Hibee
12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
He's a bit injury-prone, no?

That would be my worry.

Excellent at Hibs and I'm surprised how his career has fallen away. It may be too much of a gamble given his injuries, recent form and the wage we'd have to pay.

Would it be possible for him to train with the squad at East Mains keeping his fitness up while CC runs the rule over him?

Allant1981
12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I honestly cant see him playing in scotland for anyone next year

Stevie Reid
12-04-2011, 10:38 AM
A lot of folk on here laughed at Hearts signing Skacel again, saying he was past it - he's just carried on where he left off at Hearts, and is a talismanic figure for them. I certainly wouldn't rule our GOC doing similar for us, would generate a huge buzz of excitement amongst the vast majority of our support IMO.

Shrekko
12-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Nish or O'Connor...you decide... :wink:

Why does Nish have to come into everything? If he is/was so bad- why make comparisons as it's surely pointless?

essexhibee
12-04-2011, 10:43 AM
A lot of folk on here laughed at Hearts signing Skacel again, saying he was past it - he's just carried on where he left off at Hearts, and is a talismanic figure for them. I certainly wouldn't rule our GOC doing similar for us, would generate a huge buzz of excitement amongst the vast majority of our support IMO.

Great post and echoes my thoughts exactly. Come on garry come back to your spiritual home!

Hibby Kay-Yay
12-04-2011, 10:44 AM
he would not sign for them

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/4801995.stm

"I could never go to Hearts. I couldn't do that to Hibs. I have too many friends still there."

Reminds me of McLeish - "I'll be here for as long as you want me..."

:taxi to Castle Greyskull please

WindyMiller
12-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Strange situation?

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley/barnsley_v_queens_park_rangers_o_connor_exits_ahea d_of_visit_from_leaders_1_3277317

http://www.barnsley.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=238455

:dunno:

Andy74
12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Why does Nish have to come into everything? If he is/was so bad- why make comparisons as it's surely pointless?

Quite relevant as one is currently a striker at Hibs and the other would be coming in to replace that space.

Phil MaGlass
12-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Let him prove himself at EM, to say he is past it is a bit harsh, I think he would be a great signing, we get behind him, it gives him a boost and you will see the player of old me thinks. Just because he may have made a wad of cash, does not mean he has been corrupted by cash and wouldnt put a shift in, thats just nonsense.

ForeverHibs93
12-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Same position could be? Or he could mean would you prefer we signed Garry and let Nish go, or keep Nish and not sign Garry:greengrin, just guess work of course

Shrekko
12-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Quite relevant as one is currently a striker at Hibs and the other would be coming in to replace that space.

Rubbish. It's not an either/or situation. Nish is not being retained- end off story.

You think CC is ever going to be in a situation where he's actually choosing between O'Connor or Nish for next season? If not, the comparison is meaningless.

What about O'Connor v Adam Rooney? At least that would merit debate.

Iain G
12-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Rubbish. It's not an either/or situation. Nish is not being retained- end off story.

You think CC is ever going to be in a situation where he's actually choosing between O'Connor or Nish for next season? If not, the comparison is meaningless.

What about O'Connor v Adam Rooney? At least that would merit debate.

Do you take everything literally?? :greengrin

Mr Rebus had suggested he didn't want to see Garry back at ER, I was just suggesting that he would be a better signing than at least one, Mr Nish, if not several, of our current forward line. :agree:

one day maybe...
12-04-2011, 01:15 PM
If Garry can prove himself at East mains to CC, that he still has a burning desire to win things and get his career back on track then its worth a wee shot, wages come into it obviously. Personally i'd prefer the guy Michael Higdon at St Mirren, think he could be a tremendous signing for a team like Hibs.

keep the faith
12-04-2011, 01:36 PM
If Garry can prove himself at East mains to CC, that he still has a burning desire to win things and get his career back on track then its worth a wee shot, wages come into it obviously. Personally i'd prefer the guy Michael Higdon at St Mirren, think he could be a tremendous signing for a team like Hibs.

Higdon over O Connor?? Really??

Ritchie
12-04-2011, 01:55 PM

higdon..... seriously.......:bitchy:

O'Connor would easily bang in the goals up here again.

if not, i'd rather have Sutton than Higdon!

Greentinted
12-04-2011, 02:10 PM

If our forwards next season were to be Garry O, Deeks, Vaz Te and Sodje then i'd be pretty delighted and it'd be a lot better than Deeks, Nish, Trakys, Duffy and Byrne.

My only concern about Garry O coming back up here after he's made his money is that there could be a lot of distractions around, if he wasn't totally focused there's a worry he could go off the rails a bit, that's possibly unfair on him though as i don't know the guy and i'm only basing that concern on rumours about his lifestyle when he was here previously.

I'd take Garry back in the proverbial heartbeat. There will be members of this board who know him personally but on the odd ocassion Ive met him around and about (usually Asda at the Jewel) he seems happy to talk, comes across as a civil, level-headed, well adjusted, mature young (in real - not footballer - terms) family man and I'd be surprised if he was to revert to any daftboyness.

martin63
12-04-2011, 03:07 PM
According to his sister Gary is coming back to Scotland to stay in the summer, now if that means he is going to travel or play up here she did not say. On the other hand his mother said he would definately not take a drop in wages so you can read into that what you like but it would suggest to me Hibs have no chance of getting him.

Steve20
12-04-2011, 03:13 PM
According to his sister Gary is coming back to Scotland to stay in the summer, now if that means he is going to travel or play up here she did not say. On the other hand his mother said he would definately not take a drop in wages so you can read into that what you like but it would suggest to me Hibs have no chance of getting him.

Can't see either of the Old Firm being interested, so that would leave Hearts left out of the teams that could pay his wages.

c31
12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
At this moment he's not getting any wages from anybody..

WindyMiller
12-04-2011, 03:50 PM
At this moment he's not getting any wages from anybody..

Good point, well made!

ancient hibee
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Sign him until the end of the season-see if he's any good.

bingo70
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Sign him until the end of the season-see if he's any good.

He can train with us but he can't sign until the end of the season as he didn't become a free agent in a transfer window

ancient hibee
12-04-2011, 05:27 PM
He can train with us but he can't sign until the end of the season as he didn't become a free agent in a transfer window
Don't think that's right.He could play as a trialist-see Dundee.

DH1875
12-04-2011, 05:27 PM
O'Connor would easily bang in the goals up here again.

if not, i'd rather have Sutton than Higdon!

While I'd love a fully fit O'Connor back at ER I got to agree with One day and would take Higdon over Sutton anytime.

DH1875
12-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Don't think that's right.He could play as a trialist-see Dundee.

Wouldn't like to see that though cause after 3 games he'd be of the the huns or the yams.

StarMan10
12-04-2011, 05:40 PM
people who say he's past it... he's 27! younger than sodje,nish and riordan! he just needs a good long pre-season and he could be a stand out in the spl next season!

.Sean.
12-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Wouldn't like to see that though cause after 3 games he'd be of the the huns or the yams.Trialists are only eligible for the SFL, not the SPL.

Hibs07p
12-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Trialists are only eligible for the SFL, not the SPL.

He could play as an amateur, but obviously that means he wouldn't get paid.

leithsansiro
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Garry still has a house up here (at the Archerfield estate in East Lothian) and was knocking about at his parents house the other day.

_hucks_
12-04-2011, 07:00 PM
He could play as an amateur, but obviously that means he wouldn't get paid.

No - the SPL rules don't allow it.

.Sean.
12-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Garry still has a house up here (at the Archerfield estate in East Lothian) and was knocking about at his parents house the other day.That home has been on the market for months and he sold his Haddington property.

MyJo
12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
I would take o'connor back in a hearbeat. He is 28, at that age a striker should be at his peak and he has just been released from a bottom end championship club after failing to get into the squad. this after spending a lot of time injured during the past few years and being released from Birmingham he's going to be lucky to get a decent offer at anything higher than relegation zone in the championship at best if he stays in england.

Whereas If he gets himself fit he would run riot in the SPL :agree:

fatbloke
12-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I'd take Garry back in the proverbial heartbeat. There will be members of this board who know him personally but on the odd ocassion Ive met him around and about (usually Asda at the Jewel) he seems happy to talk, comes across as a civil, level-headed, well adjusted, mature young (in real - not footballer - terms) family man and I'd be surprised if he was to revert to any daftboyness.

If he reverted to anything other than football his mother would would string him up - trust me.

davie365
12-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Agreed

Better and younger

YetholmHibee
13-04-2011, 12:20 AM

Simple . . . It's a No from me!

Did not rate him too highly (not like others) when he was here in the first place.

Took his chance & did great.

Another journey man?

KWJ
13-04-2011, 12:24 AM
An obvious yes. We're not going to be able to attract anything better, certainly not on a free contract.

.Sean.
13-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Michael Higdon? Over GOC?

LOL.

What are some of you on, seriously?

Ritchie
13-04-2011, 07:24 AM
what is with this sudden love-in with Higdon!?

the guy scores a couple of goals and everyone wants him in their team!

he is mince!!!! :bitchy:

LancsHibs
13-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Gary O come home:pray:

Ritchie
13-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Agreed

Better and younger

FAIL! :aok:

both are 27 & higdon hasnt done anything of note in football.

O'Connor has score international goals, cup winning goals in a top league, scored in the premiership & championship.

to compare higdon & o'connor is mental! :faf:

MB62
13-04-2011, 07:41 AM
It would still be John Sutton over either of the other two for me.

Ritchie
13-04-2011, 07:43 AM
It would still be John Sutton over either of the other two for me.

would definately take sutton over higdon..... would like sutton & o'connor together for the mighty cabbage! :greengrin

Keith_M
13-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Ehm, other than pure speculation and adding 2 and 2 to make 3, who said there's any chance of Garry O'Connor coming to Hibs?

:confused:

Oh and, in reference to never signing for Hearts, Maurice Johnston once said he would never go to Rangers, even if they offered him a million pounds.

Andy74
13-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Agreed

Better and younger

Higdon better than Garry O'Connor, seriously?? :confused:

JimBHibees
13-04-2011, 10:03 AM
what is with this sudden love-in with Higdon!?

the guy scores a couple of goals and everyone wants him in their team!

he is mince!!!! :bitchy:

That would be my view also.

Andy74
13-04-2011, 10:37 AM
That would be my view also.

If Higdon gets a game in the EPL or Russian Premier League at any point, or plays for his country I will happily provide him with a BJ every week for the rest of his days.

bawheid
13-04-2011, 10:58 AM
If Higdon gets a game in the EPL or Russian Premier League at any point, or plays for his country I will happily provide him with a BJ every week for the rest of his days.

Notice you didn't say you'd be doing it.

Better hope those Russian scouts avoid Paisley or the wife will be a bit busy. :greengrin

brog
13-04-2011, 11:01 AM
If Garry isn't allowed to play for anyone this season then why did he allow his contract to be terminated at this time? OK, he was maybe paid up to end of season but my reading of situation is he had a contract with Barnsley until end 2011.
Perhaps money isn't now a great motivation for him & I think a return to ER is perfectly feasible.
Garry's situation is not dissimilar to Liam Miller's & where is he?

PS, anyone who thinks Sutton or Higdon are in same league as GOC really do need to go for a lie down, for a start Garry can run!

GreenPJ
13-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Whilst I don't want Higdon, I would suggest his career has been developing of late on average 1 goal in every 3 games and he currently has a team.

Garry has gone from Hibs, to Russia, to the Premiership, to the Championship to be a free agent. The question is does he have another up curve.

Ritchie
13-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Whilst I don't want Higdon, I would suggest his career has been developing of late on average 1 goal in every 3 games and he currently has a team.

Garry has gone from Hibs, to Russia, to the Premiership, to the Championship to be a free agent. The question is does he have another up curve.

what we have to remember is the SPL is crap....

look at what stokes has done since his return to the SPL.

bingo70
13-04-2011, 11:17 AM
If Garry isn't allowed to play for anyone this season then why did he allow his contract to be terminated at this time? OK, he was maybe paid up to end of season but my reading of situation is he had a contract with Barnsley until end 2011.
Perhaps money isn't now a great motivation for him & I think a return to ER is perfectly feasible.

PS, anyone who thinks Sutton or Higdon are in same league as GOC really do need to go for a lie down, for a start Garry can run!

There's no 'if' about it, he can't play for anyone between now and the end of the season, he's probably come to a financial agreement with them as they've told him he won't play again for them this season.

Within the last few days on here i've seen a letter of complaint go into an spl club because it's too cold and now people are wanting Higdon over O'connor, no sure what everyones been drinking but IMO this place has gone absolutely bonkers :agree:

Simpson
13-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease GOC

bawheid
13-04-2011, 11:23 AM
Within the last few days on here i've seen a letter of complaint go into an spl club because it's too cold and now people are wanting Higdon over O'connor, no sure what everyones been drinking but IMO this place has gone absolutely bonkers :agree:

So much easier when we had managers to boo and players to slate. Gave us all a sense of focus.

Now we're left scratching around looking for something to be all negative about. It's tough.

I might start moaning about the last vBulletin upgrade. I didn't get a decent enough moan in at the time and it's really come back to bite me now that the team are doing well again.

Admins, can we not go back to the old version? If O'Connor can come back....

Peevemor
13-04-2011, 11:24 AM

Maybe he's been told he's not going to be used again and doesn't fancy hanging around in Barnsely. This way he gets a 2-3 month break before starting pre-season with whoever he signs for.

Given that he often seems to return to the Edinburgh area when he's "off", I'd be very dissappointed if Hibs didn't offer him training facilities and then see how it goes thereafter.

Andy74
13-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Notice you didn't say you'd be doing it.

Better hope those Russian scouts avoid Paisley or the wife will be a bit busy. :greengrin

I'd probably have to do the first one to jog her memory. :rolleyes:

Ritchie
13-04-2011, 12:02 PM

:faf::faf:

bawheid
13-04-2011, 12:09 PM

:greengrin

soupy
13-04-2011, 12:14 PM
:greengrin

Haha, what ever floats yir boat.

ancient hibee
13-04-2011, 02:22 PM
No she remembers fine.

nonshinyfinish
13-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Ehm, other than pure speculation and adding 2 and 2 to make 3, who said there's any chance of Garry O'Connor coming to Hibs?

Shhh, don't spoil the fun.

one day maybe...
13-04-2011, 04:50 PM
FAIL! :aok:

both are 27 & higdon hasnt done anything of note in football.

O'Connor has score international goals, cup winning goals in a top league, scored in the premiership & championship.

to compare higdon & o'connor is mental! :faf:

Scored all past tense, why is he not doing it now? why is he free to leave? why is no-one scrambling for him? As I originally said if he can train at East Mains look sharp and want to be involved with and we want him then fine. but for me Higdon may just be a striker at the right age, improving at the right time, when G O'C's days may be behind him, no room for sentiment I am afraid we need a goal scorer and Higdon on current form knows where the pokey is, Gary doesn't know where his next pay is coming from, and plus I think Higdon's contract is up in the summer. He'd do for me, but its all about opinions.

Scotthibs1875
13-04-2011, 05:19 PM
O'Connor is average, i was speaking to a birmingham fan a year or two ago and he said he was overweight and seriously un-fit. Not something that really makes me want to sign a fat lazy ******* seeing as we've got two of them already in deek and nish.

R'Albin
13-04-2011, 05:22 PM
O'Connor is average, i was speaking to a birmingham fan a year or two ago and he said he was overweight and seriously un-fit. Not something that really makes me want to sign a fat lazy ******* seeing as we've got two of them already in deek and nish.

:confused: What was the need to have a dig at Deek and Nish?

Scotthibs1875
13-04-2011, 05:25 PM
:confused: What was the need to have a dig at Deek and Nish?
Why not? I'd like to see them moved on too.

silverhibee
13-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Dont worry, you wont be signing anyone, and Deek and Nish fat. :faf: :bye:

Scotthibs1875
13-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Dont worry, you wont be signing anyone, and Deek and Nish fat. :faf: :bye:
I'll be glad to see the back of them both. fat maybe not but lazy and un-fit definitely!

HibeeSince85
13-04-2011, 05:33 PM
So who fancies explaining what exactly is so attractive in signing Higdon?

I give you Nish, Rankin etc as my argument.

truehibernian
13-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I would do cartwheels if we managed to pull off signing Garry, even if it was on a short term deal. I also think that it would bring out the best in Derek, again 'ifs and buts', if Derek signed a new deal.

His experience and talent is beyond debate IMO, and he would be a superb attacking force. At the time he was sold by TM the only thing I raised my eyebrows at was the fee..........never doubted GOC's talent, but at the time I didn't think he was worth it back then. He has however progressed, grown up, made mistakes but rectified them, and scored goals at the clubs he has been at.

Always remember watching a documentary about Rangers youth teams, and Rangers were playing Hibs......the Rangers coach turned to camera and said words to the effect of "Hibs have a terrific, strong centre forward we will have to keep an eye on......." as the game raged on........that player was GOC.

Can't see it happening, but if it did, it could only ever strengthen Hibernian hugely.

one day maybe...
13-04-2011, 05:39 PM
So who fancies explaining what exactly is so attractive in signing Higdon?

I give you Nish, Rankin etc as my argument.

Eh 15 goals this season playing for St Midden, a strong player, good in the air, would cost nothing as he is a free agent. Anyone else in our team doing the job for us that job he has been doing for them.
Its all about what Hibs can afford, the type of player we can afford, personally I think he may do a job for us. Not saying he is going to be the next Messi..
As for Gary, I loved when he played for Hibs but that was then and this is now, if he can somehow produce the form that won him a big move and international caps then yeah give him a green & white strip, but i just don't think he will. I however would love to be proved wrong.

HibeeSince85
13-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Eh 15 goals this season playing for St Midden, a strong player, good in the air, would cost nothing as he is a free agent. Anyone else in our team doing the job for us that job he has been doing for them.
Its all about what Hibs can afford, the type of player we can afford, personally I think he may do a job for us. Not saying he is going to be the next Messi..
As for Gary, I loved when he played for Hibs but that was then and this is now, if he can somehow produce the form that won him a big move and international caps then yeah give him a green & white strip, but i just don't think he will. I however would love to be proved wrong.

Garry could run riot up here, he's a better player than Higdon.

Higdon has scored a few this season but he is no better than Nish or Sodje for me, we are meant to be improving the team not just going for a different face, same player.

one day maybe...
13-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Higdon has scored a few this season but he is no better than Nish or Sodje for me, we are meant to be improving the team not just going for a different face, same player.

Hell yeah, a fit, hungry Gary would run riot, I won't disagree with you, but that is why I have pointed out to the fact that he somehow has to regain that desire that once put him where he was or he is of no use to us. Higdon might not be the answer for all we know neither may Gary.

DH1875
13-04-2011, 06:16 PM
O'Connor or Higdon? No contest, O'Connor every time.

I think what most peoples argument like mine is, Higdon or Sutton? Higdon every time. I don't get the love in for Sutton. Higdons a far, far better player in every way.

mjhibby
13-04-2011, 06:17 PM
A fit garry o would be a huge bonus for hibs but there is the money and also he coming back may seem like failure to him.The lure of playing alongside deek and rekindling deeks form of previous seasons would be tempting for cc but garry o must show himself the desire to want to play for us and that he had the hunger he previously .Cant see it happening and although im sure if garry agent dropped a hint he would look at it .I think this story is along the lines of ivan coming back.A nice thought but a non starter.

HibeeSince85
13-04-2011, 06:27 PM
:::
Hell yeah, a fit, hungry Gary would run riot, I won't disagree with you, but that is why I have pointed out to the fact that he somehow has to regain that desire that once put him where he was or he is of no use to us. Higdon might not be the answer for all we know neither may Gary.

If we have the option to sign both then we take Garry, at worst we would get around the same return as Higdon would offer us.

I know its all ifs and buts but I think with Sodje here next season we have what Higdon can offer.

.Sean.
13-04-2011, 07:08 PM
<b><i>O'Connor is average, i was speaking to a birmingham fan a year or two ago and he said he was overweight and seriously un-fit. Not something that really makes me want to sign a fat lazy ******* seeing as we've got two of them already in deek and nish.
What a helmet.

bod
13-04-2011, 07:17 PM
whats the reason given that G O has been released,anyone know?

HibsMax
13-04-2011, 07:47 PM
What a helmet.

Don't be so quick, sean. The information used was only a year or two old. How much can have changed in that time? :wink:

Hibs On Tour
13-04-2011, 08:10 PM
*IF* he's fit, then he's definitely worth giving training facilities to with a view to seeing if he's worth a deal. Could easily be performance-structured rather than big basic salary, so dosh needn't necessarily be a big stumbling block.

FWIW I don't think his off-field stuff calmed down one iota when he went down South... but I couldnae care less so long as he does the business on the park! :wink:

CmoantheHibs
13-04-2011, 08:49 PM
No thanks...Big time Charlie (well he was)..Not the player he was when he left us (although more experience, doubt his heart is in the game now he has his dough)..Would we be craving his return if he hadn't played for us before..?
If he hadnt played for us before then we could hardly crave a return:greengrin

sleeping giant
13-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Higdon will be at Hearts next season imo.

To say i would be delighted with Gary O coming back would be an understatement.

I'm a bit bemused that folk would rather have Higdon than Gary :hilarious

Big Ed
13-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Don't be so quick, sean. The information used was only a year or two old. How much can have changed in that time? :wink:

Yeah, he got himself sorted out, banged in a few hat-tricks for Birmingham and got a dream move to er....Barnsley; who have kindly released him from his contract as a Thank You so that Barcelona and Real Madrid can slug it out for his signature.
Face facts: he's finished. :agree:

RickyS
13-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Yeah, he got himself sorted out, banged in a few hat-tricks for Birmingham and got a dream move to er....Barnsley; who have kindly released him from his contract as a Thank You so that Barcelona and Real Madrid can slug it out for his signature.

theres been players released by worse clubs than Barnsley who have done well in this league. GOC would score a barrow load after getting match fit again.

come home Gaz you know it makes sense:flag:

Big Ed
13-04-2011, 10:11 PM
theres been players released by worse clubs than Barnsley who have done well in this league. GOC would score a barrow load after getting match fit again.

He hasn't been injured so I assume he'd be match-fit pretty much right now.
With regards to him scoring goals: he might well do, however his off field antics are well documented and coming back to East Lothian won't help. IMO he'll be up here for five minutes before he is a distraction.
After the season we've had; I'm happy to pass up the opportunity of re-signing him.
Also, as an aside, the Huns might be interested in him due to the fact that he'll cost £0.

KWJ
13-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Higdon will be at Hearts next season imo.

To say i would be delighted with Gary O coming back would be an understatement.

I'm a bit bemused that folk would rather have Higdon than Gary :hilarious

Truly bizarre.

sahib
13-04-2011, 10:44 PM

Anyone else tempted to throw in a Barnsley chop pun here?
:chop:

Scotthibs1875
14-04-2011, 03:22 PM
What a helmet.
i hope i haven't upset because i called derek 'the god' riordan a fat lazy ****. Riordan,Nish& O'Connor's attitudes are a disgrace and if you think these 3 will help us next season then you are the helmet:aok:

Ritchie
14-04-2011, 03:30 PM

like stokes & miller were when they signed for us?? :confused:

:rolleyes:

HNA12
14-04-2011, 03:31 PM
i hope i haven't upset because i called derek 'the god' riordan a fat lazy ****. Riordan,Nish& O'Connor's attitudes are a disgrace and if you think these 3 will help us next season then you are the helmet:aok:
Cut out the insults please guys.

Ritchie
14-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Cut out the insults please guys.

i fail to see what is so insulting about a form of protective gear worn on your head to prevent injuries....... :devil:

erin go bragh
14-04-2011, 04:09 PM
whats the reason given that G O has been released,anyone know?
their player budget has been slashed
ggtth

sesoim
14-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Going by his recent injuries, O'Connor would play about 15 games a season if we are lucky. He was a great young prospect in 2001 but I don't think he improved much after that. The last three years he has went backwards.

If we are going to sign him, I would offer him a lowish basic wage with add-ons for games and goals. I wouldn't want to see Hibs pay somebody like him much money tbh.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2011, 10:25 PM
To be honest would rather we signed a proven experienced CH, a playmaker and a decent right or left winger than bring Garry O back.

Having said that I wouldnt complain if he was in the starting line up at the start of next season.

snooky
14-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Personally speaking, I don't really see any benefit (to either side) in signing past players. They never seem to live up to past glories, whether real or imagined.

Loved them all in their day but........ the past is past. Let's move on.

IanM
15-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Runour has it GOC has been training with Rangers this week?

cocopops1875
15-04-2011, 08:18 AM
And who did crash his car ?

mon the cabbage
15-04-2011, 09:55 AM
He'll be desperate to come back to hibs

jdships
15-04-2011, 10:10 AM
Personally speaking, I don't really see any benefit (to either side) in signing past players. They never seem to live up to past glories, whether real or imagined.

Loved them all in their day but........ the past is past. Let's move on.

:agree::top marks

lucky
15-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Are Hibs the only club where the fans want to bring back former players. GOC was decent at Hibs but had nothing in recent years to justify the clamour to bring him back.

It would not sunrise me if ended up at Hearts.

nonshinyfinish
15-04-2011, 10:23 AM

False dawn IMO.

Stevie Reid
15-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Are Hibs the only club where the fans want to bring back former players. GOC was decent at Hibs but had nothing in recent years to justify the clamour to bring him back.

Hardly - the Yams were delighted at Webster and Skacel going back, and why wouldn't they be? There was also that 100 pager on KB when they thought that Hartley was returning. I bet the Huns would take Boyd and Miller back in a heartbeat.

I can't understand why so many folk on here are categorically stating that accepting players back to their former clubs is a bad idea - of course there are plenty of examples of players who have failed to hit the heights of their first time, but there are loads who have been a success.

At Hibs alone I can think of Weir, McGinlay, Murray and Riordan (the last 2 haven't had the best of seasons, but the previous seasons have been good). As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Skacel has been a resounding success at Hearts, as was John Robertson when he went back there.

On a different level, Ian Rush was just as great for Liverpool as he was before he left, as was Mark Hughes when he went back to Man Utd. There's loads of examples.

I'm sure the vasy majority of the Hibs support would be hugely excited if GOC came back.

silverhibee
15-04-2011, 02:01 PM
GOC has only been back a few days, and already he has been interviewed by Police over his car being dumped and written off in East Lothian after someone smashed it in to a bridge, whoever it was left the scene of the incident for some reason.

Pity about the car. :greengrin

Future17
15-04-2011, 02:14 PM
GOC has only been back a few days, and already he has been interviewed by Police over his car being dumped and written off in East Lothian after someone smashed it in to a bridge, whoever it was left the scene of the incident for some reason.

Pity about the car. :greengrin

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/ExHibs-star39s-car-in-crash.6752253.jp

snooky
15-04-2011, 04:19 PM
I think we should re-sign Garry just to be able to sing
"We got Vaz Te and Gaz tae"

MyJo
15-04-2011, 04:30 PM

fair enough comment but he was playing at a considerably higher level than hibs are at just now and while he might not be making the grade at premiership/championship (mainly due to injury) he would still be more than good enough for the SPL

Joe Baker II
15-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Are Hibs the only club where the fans want to bring back former players. .

NO!

Joe Baker II
15-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Hardly - the Yams were delighted at Webster and Skacel going back, and why wouldn't they be? There was also that 100 pager on KB when they thought that Hartley was returning. I bet the Huns would take Boyd and Miller back in a heartbeat.

I can't understand why so many folk on here are categorically stating that accepting players back to their former clubs is a bad idea - of course there are plenty of examples of players who have failed to hit the heights of their first time, but there are loads who have been a success.

At Hibs alone I can think of Weir, McGinlay, Murray and Riordan (the last 2 haven't had the best of seasons, but the previous seasons have been good)..

Was quite a few others going back too:

Bobby Smith (ok)
Mixu Paatelanien (ok)
Peter Cormack (ok)
Joe Baker (just before my time)

There must b eothers, or my memory is failing.

eastmainsmsh
15-04-2011, 05:01 PM
After doing biz For Lokomotiv

Had high hopes for him at Brum

But to many injurys and fitness problems have hindered his progress

would love him back tho :flag:

When fully fit and games he will be an asset for whoever he signs for :agree:

murraymckirdy
17-04-2011, 03:27 PM
If he's going to be staying up here while without a club we should offer him training facilities so we can take a look without committing to a deal.

Well said mate :thumbsup::top marks

.Sean.
17-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Boy in the pub last night said he's training with Rangers, haven't a clue were he heard it.

3pm
17-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Did anyone see him in the main stand the day?

Iggy Pope
17-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Was quite a few others going back too:

Bobby Smith (ok)
Mixu Paatelanien (ok)
Peter Cormack (ok)
Joe Baker (just before my time)

There must b eothers, or my memory is failing.

Bobby Johnstone (also before my time)
John Blackley
Erich Schaedler

moredun
18-04-2011, 04:06 PM

At Hibs alone I can think of Weir, McGinlay, Murray and Riordan (the last 2 haven't had the best of seasons, but the previous seasons have been good). As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Skacel has been a resounding success at Hearts, as was John Robertson when he went back there.

On a different level, Ian Rush was just as great for Liverpool as he was before he left, as was Mark Hughes when he went back to Man Utd. There's loads of examples.

I'm sure the vasy majority of the Hibs support would be hugely excited if GOC came back.

And that will be the same Skacel who scored 4 goals in 2 years and 88 games for the mighty southampton.
Stokes was the same
The spl is the bottom of the pile these days, failure at championship level certainly does not mean they would not make it in our poor league.
Look at Kris Boyd, and half the middlesboro team

grantonhibee
18-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Stumbling bloke would be wages , but would be great to see him back

Greentinted
18-04-2011, 08:44 PM
And that will be the same Skacel who scored 4 goals in 2 years and 88 games for the mighty southampton.
Stokes was the same
The spl is the bottom of the pile these days, failure at championship level certainly does not mean they would not make it in our poor league.
Look at Kris Boyd, and half the middlesboro team

:agree: Just had a look at the highlights and was astonished to see that Scott MacDonald has only managed 9 league goals this season. says it all really.

WindyMiller
19-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Stumbling bloke would be wages , but would be great to see him back

Maybe that was the one that crashed the car.:wink:

Brizo
19-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Even if he isnt half the player he was last time round the SPL isnt half the league it was back then. Only have to look at guys like Hasselbank who looked top drawer for Accies but down south would never get near a Championship first team. Similar Sodje , Charlton reserves to being a regular starter with us. On that basis im guessing he could do a job for us .... if fit and not distracted by offfield attractions.

Most important question is would CC want him on the premises. Injury prone and some historical lifestyle choices that depending on who you speak to may or may not still be there.

Worth having in for training and then maybe offering a pay as you play arrangement. Would be very wary about giving any contract until a considerable trial period to see what hes got to offer on the pitch and how hes changed his life off it.