PDA

View Full Version : wasp nest

Woody1985
10-04-2011, 11:02 PM
There's a buzzing noise coming from under our bath which is adjacent to the outside wall. The noise only seems to occur into early evening and the off occasion at night.

I put it down to wind or something else but I've been thinking of other things it could be but it's inconsistent in times and happens a lot throughout the day.

After I'd been out tonight I find a dying wasp in the next room. All the windows were closed when I left but it could maybe have came in earlier in the day but I think I'd have noticed as there was only one window open. I don't think it's the neighbours water pipes etc cos if I push on the side cover on the bath the noise 'moves'.

The problems I have are...

1. The girlfriend is allergic to them.2. Her kid is normally here. So for those two reasons we need to get to the bottom of it. Lastly, I'm **** scared of them and have never been stung so could potentially have an allergy.

Any advice?

I don't fancy pulling the side cover on the bath off just in case.

I'm going to have a look outside to see if I can see anything.

Removed
10-04-2011, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't fart about with it. Google pest control and get a professional out asap.

Woody1985
10-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Cheers. I'm not keen on paying a charge then looking stupid cos it's the wind or something.:greengrin

Any idea how much a charge is?

Removed
10-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Cheers. I'm not keen on paying a charge then looking stupid cos it's the wind or something.:greengrin

Any idea how much a charge is?

No idea but a quick search has sites with "from £45". Others with "free no obligation quote",

There may be a council service as well :dunno:

Or contact this guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhW3tk17Y_M) :thumbsup:

Woody1985
10-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I had a look at a couple but were calls for quotes. Will give a couple a call tomorrow.

I wonder if it'll be a free quote if there's nout under there!

discman
10-04-2011, 11:36 PM
There's a buzzing noise coming from under our bath which is adjacent to the outside wall. The noise only seems to occur into early evening and the off occasion at night.

I put it down to wind or something else but I've been thinking of other things it could be but it's inconsistent in times and happens a lot throughout the day.

After I'd been out tonight I find a dying wasp in the next room. All the windows were closed when I left but it could maybe have came in earlier in the day but I think I'd have noticed as there was only one window open. I don't think it's the neighbours water pipes etc cos if I push on the side cover on the bath the noise 'moves'.

The problems I have are...

1. The girlfriend is allergic to them.2. Her kid is normally here. So for those two reasons we need to get to the bottom of it. Lastly, I'm **** scared of them and have never been stung so could potentially have an allergy.

Any advice?

I don't fancy pulling the side cover on the bath off just in case.

I'm going to have a look outside to see if I can see anything.

Phone the council as a first step,they do pest control or they used to :greengrin

If you get stung and you think your allergic batter some anti histamin, eg piritin down your neck stops you going into complete anaphylactic shock.

Pete
11-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Go out and look at the wall and if there's a nest it will be obvious.
Even a small nest contains loads of them and there will be a lot of “traffic“.
We had a nest under our window sill and it cost fifty quid to remove. The guy just came, sprayed some poison into the hole and that was it.
It might be more tricky with it being under the bath but I'm sure they all do free quotes.

hibbill2002
11-04-2011, 05:40 AM
To get rid of the wasps, stick a wee pot of jam at the bottom of the garden, not any jam though, it has to be waspaway jam.
happy to help:aok:

Wembley67
11-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Sell the hoose and run for the hills....wee baasas.

Woody1985
11-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Cheers for the tips. Will post up how I get on.

ArabHibee
11-04-2011, 12:26 PM
A can of petrol and a lighter should do the trick. Well it did for me anyway, but they were in the bushes at the bottom of the garden. Suppose its one way of heating up the water in the bath.

Or you could place some walnuts on the ground where you think they are getting in. This will get rid of them, pronto. :agree:

Woody1985
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
It's 3rd floor in a six in a block. Do you know where I can buy giant walnuts? Maybe the shop where you can buy the stuff for your feet. :greengrin

Removed
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
It's 3rd floor in a six in a block.

Yet you were going to have a look from outside to see what you could see? Must be some pair of binoculars :greengrin

Woody1985
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
I'll look out the bathroom window, get stung and then fall out.:greengrin

fat freddy
11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
To get rid of the wasps, stick a wee pot of jam at the bottom of the garden, not any jam though, it has to be waspaway jam.
happy to help:aok:

this was the method used by the colonial british in africa back in the days of empire...only they used 'jam boys'...they would cover local kids in jam and have them follow them around or just have them sitting around when they were sipping pimms on the balcony...the wasps,bees,flies ect.. automatically went for the jam boys leaving the big white chiefs free to enjoy the day....i dont know if it would work in gilmerton though but you could round up a few 'jambo's' as an experiment...as you say,theres too many round your way..

Ed De Gramo
11-04-2011, 06:11 PM
kill the chief wasp and the others will naff off

fat freddy
11-04-2011, 06:37 PM
kill the chief wasp and the others will naff off

your going the 'wrong way down a one way road' with that idea, limmy..

ArabHibee
11-04-2011, 07:52 PM
your going the 'wrong way down a one way road' with that idea, limmy..

Don't encourage him, FFS!! :bitchy:

HibeeSince85
11-04-2011, 11:03 PM
"
A can of petrol and a lighter should do the trick. Well it did for me anyway, but they were in the bushes at the bottom of the garden. Suppose its one way of heating up the water in the bath.

Or you could place some walnuts on the ground where you think they are getting in. This will get rid of them, pronto. :agree:

How do walnuts get rid of wasps quickly?

hibbill2002
12-04-2011, 05:54 AM
"

How do walnuts get rid of wasps quickly?
You've never seen the Sopranos have you?

HibeeSince85
12-04-2011, 09:33 AM
You've never seen the Sopranos have you?

Start to finish, I've missed something though obviously :greengrin:

Twiglet
14-04-2011, 11:13 PM
You done anything yet?
We had some in the autumn there and we called the council who sent round pest control to sort it out.
They weren't going to kill the nest as they said the winter would kill them off. We love wasps just as much as you, so asked them to kill it off, and they di it.
Don't know how much it cost as my dad dealt with it, but I can ask him if you like, he'll probably have number domehwere handy too if you need it.

Woody1985
15-04-2011, 09:02 AM
We've looked out the back over a few days and we can't see anything but still don't fancy taking the cover off to be sure. We're moving in the next six weeks anyway so if it gets worse the landlord can deal with it!

1two
18-04-2011, 08:17 AM
We've looked out the back over a few days and we can't see anything but still don't fancy taking the cover off to be sure. We're moving in the next six weeks anyway so if it gets worse the landlord can deal with it!

Wait till late at night then take the cover off.
They're pretty much inactive at night

The nest will be obvious - a round yellowy Whitish ball, the size of a golf ball up to the size of a football

Spray it with wasp killer, close the panel up then leave it till the next night

Ps finding a few dead wasps means there's a good chance there's a nearby nest

HibeeSince85
18-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Wait till late at night then take the cover off.
They're pretty much inactive at night

The nest will be obvious - a round yellowy Whitish ball, the size of a golf ball up to the size of a football

Spray it with wasp killer, close the panel up then leave it till the next night

Ps finding a few dead wasps means there's a good chance there's a nearby nest

Are you mad?

I would never, even at night get close to a hive, never mind spray anything at them, they're mad enough as it is.

easty
18-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Are you mad?

I would never, even at night get close to a hive, never mind spray anything at them, they're mad enough as it is.

Dinnae be such a blouse. They'll be sleeping. Easy.

HibeeSince85
18-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Dinnae be such a blouse. They'll be sleeping. Easy.

On you go mate, I hate the wee things.

easty
18-04-2011, 03:57 PM
On you go mate, I hate the wee things.

It's not like they're spiders, if it was spiders I could understand your reluctance to go for them at any time. Spiders never sleep. They're constantly plotting. Plus, regardless of what scientists say, they can bite you, and when they do it could kill you.

But it's just wasps. 2 jackets, 2 pairs of gloves, 2 pairs of jeans, boots and a net over your head. Even if they were to wake up they couldn't do anything.

HibeeSince85
18-04-2011, 04:10 PM
It's not like they're spiders, if it was spiders I could understand your reluctance to go for them at any time. Spiders never sleep. They're constantly plotting. Plus, regardless of what scientists say, they can bite you, and when they do it could kill you.

But it's just wasps. 2 jackets, 2 pairs of gloves, 2 pairs of jeans, boots and a net over your head. Even if they were to wake up they couldn't do anything.

Give me a spider anyday, you know where you stand with them. Those wasps must have small insect syndrome, aggressive evil scary gits.

Woody1985
18-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Still haven't seen anymore and the missus has said the noise has died down compared to how it was.

Can't think of any other variables that could cause it but I'm still not taking it off.

We're moving soon so will tell the landlord there's an unidentified noise before we go!

ArabHibee
18-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Still haven't seen anymore and the missus has said the noise has died down compared to how it was.

Can't think of any other variables that could cause it but I'm still not taking it off.

We're moving soon so will tell the landlord there's an unidentified noise before we go!

Was it a buzzing noise or more like a vibrating noise? :wink:

Removed
18-04-2011, 06:01 PM
My wife had a patient in who was telling her that he had gone for a weekend away and from his house and up the M9 there was a vibrating noise from the back of the car so he took a detour via Stirling Audi to get it checked out.

After being up on the ramp and on the diagnostics they couldn't find anything wrong. A few hours later and he was on his way - after ordering a new A4 !!!

When he got to his destination and unpacked he found the problem - his electric toothbrush in his luggage was now flat :faf:

ArabHibee
18-04-2011, 07:41 PM

On the other hand, maybe the batteries have run out? :dunno: :wink:

Ritchie
20-04-2011, 02:39 PM
it always seems to be the people who haven't been stung by a wasp who are most scared of them.

it isnt really that painful.......saying that, i was brought up in a field in penicuik and used to be made to sit on a spike at school so little things like that dont bother us hillbillies!! :wink:

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Did you get this sorted?

I have seen a few wasps hovering around my guttering and was up in the loft this afternoon, there is what appears to be a nest in my loft hanging down from the roof, about the size of a football. :eek:

I'm waiting on the Council getting back in touch to see if they'll come out and have a look at it. Wonder if anybody else has had any dealings with this kind of problem.

Woody1985
16-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I hung on til I moved house.:greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-08-2011, 03:09 PM
I hung on til I moved house.:greengrin

Fair enough. :greengrin

I've spoken to Midlothian Council and they'll sort it out for £35. :aok: