PDA

View Full Version : is it ever acceptable to sing the 'skacel' song?

MCameron
10-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Don't want another 7 page thread on this. Am interested in how the outcome of a poll on this would look though.

CB_NO3
10-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Rubbish song IMO. Its just a complete lie and considering we have a Czech goalie on our books, it makes it more stupid.

Hibby D
10-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Idiotic song sung by idiots who don't know any better.

They should change the words to "...is a big smelly jobby" and it might just become a hit :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
10-04-2011, 09:58 AM
It's as bad as 'Paul Hartley is Gay'; the reason being both songs imply there's something despicable about being a refugee/gay.

No place for it, IMO.

Baldy Foghorn
10-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Idiotic song sung by idiots who don't know any better.

They should change the words to "...is a big smelly jobby" and it might just become a hit :greengrin

Haha Diane I can't see that taking off but I am liking your thinking....:thumbsup:

Mikeystewart
10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Rubbish song IMO. Its just a complete lie and considering we have a Czech goalie on our books, it makes it more stupid.

:top marks

Anyone who sings this song and finds it acceptable should contact this organisation for some support.

http://www.scotlandagainstracism.com/onescotland/73.1.41.html

basehibby
10-04-2011, 10:59 AM
The Skatchel song has never been acceptable IMO - from the very first time I heard it I was never anything other than embarassed to be associated with the vacant bell ends that seem to think it's funny and smart.

Almost as bad as the Edinburgh song :bye:

scott7_0(Prague)
10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Stupid song.... It would then make me a refugee in his homeland..... But having said that, anyone who is offended by it needs to get out more!!!

Mikeystewart
10-04-2011, 11:04 AM
The Skatchel song has never been acceptable IMO - from the very first time I heard it I was never anything other than embarrassed to be associated with the vacant bell ends that seem to think it's funny and smart.

Almost as bad as the Edinburgh song :bye:

Don't want to sound like I'm hijacking the thread, but I would include the Wallace mercer song into the same category, it may not have any racist connotations but I get the same feeling of distaste and embarrassment when sung by our support. No matter what the man tried to do to the club his family must not appreciate it either.

Some see our support as some sort darling race but it has its fair share of Neanderthals singing out of date offensive pish.

Ryan91
10-04-2011, 11:21 AM
It's as bad as 'Paul Hartley is Gay'; the reason being both songs imply there's something despicable about being a refugee/gay.

No place for it, IMO.

The Skacel song has no place in football, however the 'Paul Hartley is Gay' ditty was if anything a reply to the accusation by our illustrious big team neighbours that we as a support were all homosexual. I highly doubt that either of those songs were supposed to cause offence, they were sung with a mind to winding up the opposition than anything else.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Don't want another 7 page thread on this. Am interested in how the outcome of a poll on this would look though.

I like how you have put one of the options as 'Yes - I don't sing it but don't let it bother me when others do'.

This to me implies that people like me (who don't care if it's sung or not) do infact think it's acceptable.

As I have said, I'm not denying it's inappropriateness but I as well as many others don't get offended by a daft, misguided song.

How about having an option that says 'Couldn't give a toss and I get out enough not to let it bother me'?

No offence mate but you really do have a bee in your bonnet about this one song when IMO there are far worse things that go on at the game that need the fans and the clubs attention. Missile throwing for example.

For your info, I polled 'other' as the above option wasn't available.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I like how you have put one of the options as 'Yes - I don't sing it but don't let it bother me when others do'.

This to me implies that people like me (who don't care if it's sung or not) do infact think it's acceptable.

As I have said, I'm not denying it's inappropriateness but I as well as many others don't get offended by a daft, misguided song.

How about having an option that says 'Couldn't give a toss and I get out enough not to let it bother me'?

No offence mate but you really do have a bee in your bonnet about this one song when IMO there are far worse things that go on at the game that need the fans and the clubs attention. Missile throwing for example.

I thought you were a 'sticks and stones ' kind of guy?
Is this going to the the same as the other thread where apparently it was all about you.:greengrin

Hibby D
10-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Stupid song.... It would then make me a refugee in his homeland..... But having said that, anyone who is offended by it needs to get out more!!!

Oh I see! People whose opinion is anything other than acceptable/couldn't give a toss need to get out more?

That's a good argument right enough :rolleyes:

givescotlandfreedom
10-04-2011, 11:57 AM
It's a daft song and makes Hibs fans look crap for singing it. Singing abuse at opposition players is part of the game - slag him for being a manky, diving, arrogant, spitting Jambo turd instead.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Oh I see! People whose opinion is anything other than acceptable/couldn't give a toss need to get out more?

That's a good argument right enough :rolleyes:

Shhhhh. I am actually showing this thread to Mrs M59 as evidence that I do need to get out more.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 12:05 PM
I thought you were a 'sticks and stones ' kind of guy?
Is this going to the the same as the other thread where apparently it was all about you.:greengrin

I am a sticks and stones guy. That's how I roll! :greengrin

The other thread wasn't all abbot me. It was many people sharing their opinions but only some being seen as acceptable.

And with this poll, I was just pointing out that there wasn't an option for everyone and that the OP seems obsessed with this song when there are far bigger problems that his and everyone else's energies could be focussed on.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 12:08 PM

The other thread wasn't all abbot me. It was many people sharing their opinions but only some being seen as acceptable.

And with this poll, I was just pointing out that there wasn't an option for everyone and that the OP seems obsessed with this song when there are far bigger problems that his and everyone else's energies could be focussed on.

I kind of like that line. I have no idea what it means but I aim to use it at least once today. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
As I said in the other thread a few days ago, I'm not bothered in the slightest by the song.

Personally, I'd much rather we took steps towards binning the "Forever and ever..." song that has surfaced this season.

Hibby D
10-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Doesn't everyone have a right to focus their energy wherever they want?

For all you know whilst we're all debating his hand grenade, he could be out feeding homeless people or campaigning against public service cuts :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
As I said in the other thread a few days ago, I'm not bothered in the slightest by the song.

Personally, I'd much rather we took steps towards binning the "Forever and ever..." song that has surfaced this season.

:agree: Bogging song

Wotherspiniesta
10-04-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm interested to know what the "other" option is. :greengrin

Brooster
10-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Any song that may offened that knob or his fans will do for me.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM

It offends a lot of Hibs fans too. Is that acceptable?

Brooster
10-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Get a grip. Did Hibs fans get offended when we sang about 'Baldy' Jim Duffy or 'fat' John Robertson?

marinello59
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Get a grip. Did Hibs fans get offended when we sang about 'Baldy' Jim Duffy or 'fat' John Robertson?

Any need for that? :confused:
If you consider the song racist it is offensive no matter who you support.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 12:44 PM

You've really gone and done it now!

Hibby D
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM

There's banter and there's banter though and I guess it's up to us as individuals to set a benchmark.

Singing songs about someone being "bald" or "fat" doesn't quite reach the murky grey quagmire that the Skacel songs does.

Even you know that ya fat baldy........ :na na:

Disclaimer: Brooster is neither fat nor bald but it was fun calling him names :greengrin

Hibby D
10-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm interested to know what the "other" option is. :greengrin

Or do you think this thread will be closed before we prove its scientific worth?

:greengrin

Wotherspiniesta
10-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Or do you think this thread will be closed before we prove its scientific worth?

I think Brooster had guaranteed that :greengrin

Would it also be wrong of me to suggest the OP is a jambo looking for a bite? Or am I slightly paranoid?:paranoid:

marinello59
10-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Would it also be wrong of me to suggest the OP is a jambo looking for a bite? Or am I slightly paranoid?:paranoid:

He's behind you. :agree:

Dunbar Hibee
10-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Agreed.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Agreed.

And the same question to you then.:greengrin
Is the fact that it also offends a lot of Hibs fans acceptable as well?

Dunbar Hibee
10-04-2011, 01:15 PM
And the same question to you then.:greengrin
Is the fact that it also offends a lot of Hibs fans acceptable as well?

There is a lot of songs that offend Hibs fans, and im not saying it is acceptable.. but that is the way it is. I personally think the Skacel song is the least offensive, why is it that it offends you may I ask?

marinello59
10-04-2011, 01:23 PM
There is a lot of songs that offend Hibs fans, and im not saying it is acceptable.. but that is the way it is. I personally think the Skacel song is the least offensive, why is it that it offends you may I ask?

I think it is racist. That is also a matter of some debate I know but there you go.

Keith_M
10-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I've come to be of the opinion that it's pointless discussing these kind of topics.

The people who sing the Skacel or Mercer songs are not going to be dissuaded from doing so by reason alone and those who are against it won't change their minds either. Pretty much the same issue with those people in the West (or in Gorgie) that think it OK to sing songs of racial bigotry or glorifying terrorism.

iwasthere1972
10-04-2011, 03:26 PM

That and the Wallace Mercer song should never be sung again. They are both an embarrassment.

Well that's my opinion.

Could exceed 7 pages.

Dunbar Hibee
10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I think it is racist. That is also a matter of some debate I know but there you go.

Fair enough. I disagree.

Andy74
10-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I've come to be of the opinion that it's pointless discussing these kind of topics.

The people who sing the Skacel or Mercer songs are not going to be dissuaded from doing so by reason alone and those who are against it won't change their minds either. Pretty much the same issue with those people in the West (or in Gorgie) that think it OK to sing songs of racial bigotry or glorifying terrorism.

Not the same issue at all as plenty of people like myself don't actually think this song should be interpreted the way people have and so there's another option to this whole thing.

I think people who are overly offended by this song show a complete lack of undersatanding of a number of issues, not least of which the simple mechanics of how the song is put together, so there you go. :greengrin

marinello59
10-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Not the same issue at all as plenty of people like myself don't actually think this song should be interpreted the way people have and so there's another option to this whole thing.

I think people who are overly offended by this song show a complete lack of undersatanding of a number of issues, not least of which the simple mechanics of how the song is put together, so there you go. :greengrin

Overly offended? Not sure what that means. Maybe it's you that has a complete lack of understanding. Or maybe boorishly singing something no matter what the majority of your fellow fans think is fine? :dunno:

hibsbollah
10-04-2011, 03:50 PM

I'm just grateful that your opinions and your rather ropey interpretations are firmly in the minority.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Fair enough. I disagree.

And we probably never will agree on this one. :greengrin

Surely the best songs are ones that not only unite the support, they show a degree of humour. I would suggest that the Skacel song fails on both counts and should be binned for that alone. A large group of young guys sung for ninety minutes yesterday at Pittodrie and proved that an atmosphere can be created without this type of song. Some of their stuff was pretty funny too, the Sheep fans won't have enjoyed it. :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Ok, I am offended by it. What issues do I show a complete lack of understanding about?

marinello59
10-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok, I am offended by it. What issues do I show a complete lack of understanding about?

Are you offended or overly offended?:greengrin

ScottB
10-04-2011, 04:11 PM
No, it's pitiful, racist bull****

DH1875
10-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Is singing about Aberdeen fans and sheep no offensive :dunno:. What about Glasgow slums, is that any different :dunno:. I don't get how people think it's OK to sing about Hartley being gay and then have a problem with the skacel song.

I've no problem with the song and in my opinion it's no where near racist.

CropleyWasGod
10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Are you offended or overly offended?:greengrin

I'll tell you once I hear the answer.... :greengrin

stuartmcdee
10-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Rudie Skacels bird stole all his cash
Rudie Skacels bird stole all his cash

no hard feelings in still gives him a bit of stick :flag:

Tricla
10-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Is singing about Aberdeen fans and sheep no offensive :dunno:. What about Glasgow slums, is that any different :dunno:. I don't get how people think it's OK to sing about Hartley being gay and then have a problem with the skacel song.

I've no problem with the song and in my opinion it's no where near racist.

If we were to dissect every song the way the Sacktchel song has been dissected then we'd soon be silent on the terraces.

I can't fathom why this one song irks some so much when it's the same as some and nowhere near as bad as others.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 04:57 PM

If we were to dissect every song the way the Sacktchel song has been dissected then we'd soon be silent on the terraces.

I can't fathom why this one song irks some so much when it's the same as some and nowhere near as bad as others.

I thought you didn't care that it was racist or whatever. Now you seem to be arguing it is harmless. And you don't sing it. But now if we don't the terraces will be silent. And if anybody defends the song that you really don't care about you offer full support. Make up your mind, you really couldn't carry the arguments you have made over the two threads in a bucket.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 05:09 PM
I thought you didn't care that it was racist or whatever. Now you seem to be arguing it is harmless. And you don't sing it. But now if we don't the terraces will be silent. And if anybody defends the song that you really don't care about you offer full support. Make up your mind, you really couldn't carry the arguments you have made over the two threads in a bucket.

If you took a minute to read my post you will see that I am not bigging up the Sacktchel song but am saying that I can't see why it irks some more than others.

Where do I say it is harmless?

I was offering support to the fact that there are other songs that we sing collectively that never receive this kind of scrutiny.

You are right though. I don't sing the refugee song.

At least you are paying a wee bit of attention.

Albanian Hibs
10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't mind the song and I've sung it a few times. I must be a racist then...but how is that possible when my husband is from Eastern Europe :rolleyes:

Tricla
10-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't mind the song and I've sung it a few times. I must be a racist then...but how is that possible when my husband is from Eastern Europe :rolleyes:

I'm sure some soap boxer on here will tell you! :greengrin

marinello59
10-04-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm sure some soap boxer on here will tell you! :greengrin

And your trademark, the petty jibe at those who disagree with you. :greengrin

Tricla
10-04-2011, 05:24 PM
And your trademark, the petty jibe at those who disagree with you. :greengrin

Or as I call it, a satirical take on reality. :greengrin

Look, someone with an Eastern European husband sings this song at games and can see no harm in it.

Why are these threads even taking place. :confused:

marinello59
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Look, someone with an Eastern European husband sings this song at games and can see no harm in it.

At times I find myself asking the same question. Maybe because me and you are keeping them going.:greengrin

Tricla
10-04-2011, 05:30 PM
At times I find myself asking the same question. Maybe because me and you are keeping them going.:greengrin

Cough, I think you'll find it's you and I! :greengrin

marinello59
10-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Cough, I think you'll find it's you and I! :greengrin

It's a fair cop. :greengrin

pentlando
10-04-2011, 05:37 PM
If you simply look at the words in its song, then it would appear to be in bad taste. But skacel isn't sung about because Hibs fans are racist, it's cause he's an unpopular member of our rivals. Nobody cared whether Hartley was gay, or that Cameron's wife left him (iirc) or what Aberdeen fans do with their livestock. The songs are simply aimed at grating on the fans or the player. The words have no meaning behind them. I suspect that many people, me included, used to sing this without even thinking it may be in any way racist.

Finding a song that will upset the opposing fans or players without it being offensive is near on impossible, so these songs will continue to be sung

Harpandcastle
10-04-2011, 05:40 PM

If your on about the song I think you are it has hardly surfaced this season, its been belted out for the 30 years I have been going to E.R.

And why do tell me should we be taking steps to binning it?

Tricla
10-04-2011, 05:47 PM
If you simply look at the words in its song, then it would appear to be in bad taste. But skacel isn't sung about because Hibs fans are racist, it's cause he's an unpopular member of our rivals. Nobody cared whether Hartley was gay, or that Cameron's wife left him (iirc) or what Aberdeen fans do with their livestock. The songs are simply aimed at grating on the fans or the player. The words have no meaning behind them. I suspect that many people, me included, used to sing this without even thinking it may be in any way racist.

Finding a song that will upset the opposing fans or players without it being offensive is near on impossible, so these songs will continue to be sung

A fair reflection IMO.

Hibby D
10-04-2011, 05:49 PM

It's perfectly possible to be racist against one culture and not another :agree:

I don't think singing that song automatically makes one a racist but it does make me question what your (and others) interpretation of a "refugee" is and the relevance to Rudi Skacel.

Out of interest, what does your husband think? :dunno:

Andy74
10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
It's perfectly possible to be racist against one culture and not another :agree:

I don't think singing that song automatically makes one a racist but it does make me question what your (and others) interpretation of a "refugee" is and the relevance to Rudi Skacel.

You will find the whole point is he isn't a refugee and in reality it has no relevance to Skacel.

Same as Hartley not being gay for example.

I don't think that song is really a reflection on what we think if gay people, just an attempt at an immature wind up.

The Skacel song is just the same.

Andy74
10-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Along with the Eastern European people I know probably nothing as the song makes no sort of reference to them or what we think of them at all.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
You will find the whole point is he isn't a refugee and in reality it has no relevance to Skacel.

I don't think that song is really a reflection on what we think if gay people, just an attempt at an immature wind up.

Is ******* refugee a term of endearment to refugees everywhere then? Surely they will get the irony? You are still ignoring the fact that many Hibs fans do think it is racist and therefore offensive. So why offend your fellow fans?

marinello59
10-04-2011, 06:09 PM

Ignorance is not a defence.

marinello59
10-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Along with the Eastern European people I know probably nothing as the song makes no sort of reference to them or what we think of them at all.

Really. Have you been closing your ears? I have heard Eastern Europeans described as ******* scrounging illegals and refugees. Maybe not what you think of them but certainly what many think. And the Skacel song lets some think that is acceptable

Hibby D
10-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks for pointing that out to me :rolleyes:

And you know this for sure yeah? By the way I don't sing that either

For some that may be the case - and who is this "we" you're referring to? :dunno:

No Andy it's not :no way:

The "we" you refer to don't sing "Hartley is ****ing gay" in the way the "we" sing Rudi is a "****ing refugee". The emphasis is on "****ing refugee" so it's not the same at all. It's disrespectful to no-one but refugees.... and the majority of the Hibs support who dislike it intensely.

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 06:52 PM
i can only guess the 29 people who voted yes, would also be in favour of Edinburgh is wonderful........:rolleyes:

MCameron
10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Hey - did you not read the op? I said not ano:wink:.ther 7 pages! You out to get out more....:wink:

For your info. I've been to Almond valley yesterday and for a walk and lunch with family today proving I do get out :greengrin

Anyhow the reason I posted about this particular song is I couldn't be erchied posting a poll for the Harley song, the Edinburgh song and other similar immature neanderthal spouting that I feel just as strongly about (after all I had places to go)

The reason I added other and not tractors option was that I couldn't actually work out from the posts what his stance is but didn't want him and others to feel 'excluded'. Oh wait a minute why should I care about others views :devil:

Tricla
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM

For some that may be the case - and who is this "we" you're referring to? :dunno:

The "we" you refer to don't sing "Hartley is ****ing gay" in the way the "we" sing Rudi is a "****ing refugee". The emphasis is on "****ing refugee" so it's not the same at all. It's disrespectful to no-one but refugees.... and the majority of the Hibs support who dislike it intensely.

Maybe it's me but how does the sweary word make it worse?

marinello59
10-04-2011, 06:58 PM

It adds a large dollop of aggression.
Not that you care. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
10-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Makes him more of a refugee, in the same way that "[sweary word] brilliant" is better than just "brilliant"?

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey - did you not read the op? I said not ano:wink:.ther 7 pages! You out to get out more....:wink:

For your info. I've been to Almond valley yesterday and for a walk and lunch with family today proving I do get out :greengrin

Anyhow the reason I posted about this particular song is I couldn't be erchied posting a poll for the Harley song, the Edinburgh song and other similar immature neanderthal spouting that I feel just as strongly about (after all I had places to go)

The reason I added other and not tractors option was that I couldn't actually work out from the posts what his stance is but didn't want him and others to feel 'excluded'. Oh wait a minute why should I care about others views :devil:

Is this meant to be me?

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
It adds a large dollop of aggression.
Not that you care. :greengrin

I see.

I thought it made it fit with the beat better.

Must be a stick or a stone. :wink:

marinello59
10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Is this meant to be me?

Sticks and stones Tractor. It's what makes you roll. :greengrin

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Makes him more of a refugee, in the same way that "[sweary word] brilliant" is better than just "brilliant"?

I thought it was just a working class Scottish thing to prefix everything with a **** or a *******!

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:07 PM
Sticks and stones Tractor. It's what makes you roll. :greengrin

:faf:

Hibby D
10-04-2011, 07:08 PM

Marinello and Lapsed summed it up much better than I could have, so I'll let their responses stand as your answer.

Although I suspect you are clever enough to have worked that out already :greengrin

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Marinello and Lapsed summed it up much better than I could have, so I'll let their responses stand as your answer.

Although I suspect you are clever enough to have worked that out already :greengrin

Thanks.

I wasn't fully aware there were different levels of refugeeness identifiable only by crudeness of sweary word applied.

By that logic a ******* refugee is by far the purest whereas a god damn refugee is slightly less prickly.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
When did refugees become a race?

marinello59
10-04-2011, 07:20 PM
When did refugees become a race?
:rolleyes:

Andy74
10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Is ******* refugee a term of endearment to refugees everywhere then? Surely they will get the irony? You are still ignoring the fact that many Hibs fans do think it is racist and therefore offensive. So why offend your fellow fans?

I don't sing it, but I do think many of my fellow fans are being a bit daft about this one, but as it is out there as being interprested this way I won't sing it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2011, 07:26 PM
:rolleyes:

Helpful response! I take it the song, whether you sing it or not, isn't racist then?

Andy74
10-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Do you live in Scotland?

You will know the sweary word is just a filler most of the time and makes no odds to the song. singing Hartley is gay or Hartley is ****ing gay is only different due to the phrasing of the song.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:32 PM
Helpful response! I take it the song, whether you sing it or not, isn't racist then?

This is what I have been thinking. It may be considered inappropriate at most but surely not racist given that refugees are not a race:-

rac·ism (rszm)
n.
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Therefore it surely falls into the realm of the 'Weegie Slums' or 'Sheep ****ging ********' songs that seem to be widely accepted.

Can I ask, do any of the anti refugee song clan sing either of these songs?

marinello59
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM

OK. Refugees are all white anglo saxons then? So I guess that using refugee as a derogatory term can't possibly be racist then. Is that your point? Or maybe you are just playing with semantics rather than making a properly thought out contribution.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
My properly thought out contribution is I couldnae give a flying one about the song!

marinello59
This is what I have been thinking. It may be considered inappropriate at most but surely not racist given that refugees are not a race:-

Refugees are all British then?

For somebody who doesn't care you are spending a lot of time defending the song.

MCameron
[QUOTE=Andy74;2777032]Do you live in Scotland?

You will know the sweary word is just a filler most of the time and makes no odds to the song. singing Hartley is gay or Hartley is ****ing gay is only different due to the phrasing of the song.[/QUOTEiy

Dearie dearie me!:bitchy::bitchy:

....and nothing to do with it being blatantly homophobic whether expletives are added or not.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:39 PM
OK. Refugees are all white anglo saxons then? So I guess that using refugee as a derogatory term can't possibly be racist then. Is that your point? Or maybe you are just playing with semantics rather than making a properly thought out contribution.

Refugees are 'people' exiled and fleeing for safety regardless of their skin colour.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
OK. Refugees are all white anglo saxons then?

Has anyone told the Somalians? ;-)

marinello59
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Refugees are 'people' exiled and fleeing for safety regardless of their skin colour.

And they are all Scots....or British? Keep digging.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Refugees are all British then?

For somebody who doesn't care you are spending a lot of time defending the song.

I'm not defending the song. Just the will of common sense and definition. And no, refugees are not all British. They're not actually any race therefore by definition the song cannot be considered racist.

I'm happy to spend more time posting web sourced definitions if it helps.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 07:49 PM
And they are all Scots....or British? Keep digging.

I'm sorry but I don't get your point.

The definition of racism is clear and proves that the refugee song is not racist. What are you getting at?

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM

for one so intellectual :rolleyes: it shoud be apparent that the song would be deemed racist. It was meant to be sung as a slur not congratulatory, so yes pendantics are taking over here, refugee is not a race however when discussed in terms of social ettiquette to call someone a ****ing refugee is derogatory and demeaning.

Do you think the edinburgh is wonderful song is ok?

MCameron
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Scakel is a foreigner who has chosen to work here. He's branded a ****ing refugee which isn't being sung to show how welcome he is. It's tinged with hatred and intolerance and that is what OUR club wants to cut out. So by choosing to go against their wishes are you a 'supporter' of Hibernian football club?

marinello59
10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm not defending the song. Just the will of common sense and definition. And no, refugees are not all British. They're not actually any race therefore by definition the song cannot be considered racist.

I'm happy to spend mire time posting web sourced definitions if it helps.

Fill your boots. it still won't make you right. I would have thought that there is a fair chance that refugees are of a different race from the rest of the population. I would hazard a guess at a 100% chance. How many times have you heard people equating refugee with illegal immigrant? Tell me that isn't racist. Play with semantics all you want, it's the same tactics used by the Old Firm to defend their 'folk' songs and most decent people see right through it.

I'm out, it's time for a very large glass of wine.

DH1875
10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Therefore it surely falls into the realm of the 'Weegie Slums' or 'Sheep ****ging ********' songs that seem to be widely accepted.

Can I ask, do any of the anti refugee song clan sing either of these songs?

Hey, that's my argument, You get your own :na na:. It's a good one though aint it. Stupid thing is we've hundreds of fans that come from Aberdeen, Glasgow and the west. Where's the consideration for them? You don't find them all on here crying about the songs we sing, in fact you'll find a lot of them join in.

The song is not racist and I make no apologies cause I'll be singing it the next time we play the yams and, by the looks of it I won't be the only one.

MCameron
10-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Hey, that's my argument, You get your own :na na:. It's a good one though aint it. Stupid thing is we've hundreds of fans that come from Aberdeen, Glasgow and the west. Where's the consideration for them? You don't find them all on here crying about the songs we sing, in fact you'll find a lot of them join in.

The song is not racist and I make no apologies cause I'll be singing it the next time we play the yams and, by the looks of it I won't be the only one.

If Hibs were to issue a statement that said they considered the skacel song racist, the Harley song homophobic, the Edinburgh song as inappropriate would that change your decision on whether to sing them? Or don't you care to be part of the club and what it stands for?

Tricla
10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
for one so intellectual :rolleyes: it shoud be apparent that the song would be deemed racist. It was meant to be sung as a slur not congratulatory, so yes pendantics are taking over here, refugee is not a race however when discussed in terms of social ettiquette to call someone a ****ing refugee is derogatory and demeaning.

Do you think the edinburgh is wonderful song is ok?

I'll be 100% honest when I say I have no idea how the Edinburgh is wonderful song goes BTW. I am a Hibs supporter of 25 years but not originally from Edinburgh.

In answer to your point, whether the refugee song is deemed racist or not is irrelevant. It simply isn't. Pedantics don't come in to it.

It can cause offense and clearly does with some and is meant to put that wee scrote off his game and it's effectiveness therein is questionable as he is good against us more often than not.

Social etiquette is something that has rarely crept in to football in 135 years so I don't see it starting any time soon.

lapsedhibee
10-04-2011, 08:04 PM

I actually have some sympathy with Tractor's point about the significance of the sweary f word in this context.

scoopyboy
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Is it ok to whistle the tune when smelly jambos are in your boozer?

Tricla
10-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Scakel is a foreigner who has chosen to work here. He's branded a ****ing refugee which isn't being sung to show how welcome he is. It's tinged with hatred and intolerance and that is what OUR club wants to cut out. So by choosing to go against their wishes are you a 'supporter' of Hibernian football club?

Why would we welcome a Hertz player? :confused: The paranoid gestures that you are a Yam don't seem so far fetched IMO.

So you're now suggesting that because I don't care if this song is sung I am going against the clubs wishes and therefore am not a supporter of HFC?

I'm not going to get in to another argument about what not sharing your views means.

Not that I need to prove it to you but I am a supporter of 25 years. You seem more like a crap politician than an actual football fan.

Do one mate.

:bye:

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I'll be 100% honest when I say I have no idea how the Edinburgh is wonderful song goes BTW. I am a Hibs supporter of 25+ years but not originally from here. Ask another Hibs fan, maybe one of 30 years + for guidance :greengrin

In answer to your point, whether the refugee song is deemed racist or not is irrelevant. it is! its the topic we are discussing

It simply isn't. running the risk of this becoming a pantomime but it is
Pedantics don't come in to it. your web based analogies for the definition of refugee makes it pendantic in thier attempt to belittle the fact the song is deemed to be racist

It can cause offense and clearly does with some and is meant to put that wee scrote off his game and it's effectiveness therein is questionable as he is good against us more often than not. Well lets throw bananas at black players aswell im sure this would upset them

Social etiquette is something that has rarely crept in to football in 135 years so I don't see it starting any time soon. Did you know that up untill circa 300 years ago we thought the world was flat and somewhere you could fall off the edge!!
...:wink:

Tricla
10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I'll be 100% honest when I say I have no idea how the Edinburgh is wonderful song goes BTW. I am a Hibs supporter of 25+ years but not originally from here. Ask another Hibs fan, maybe one of 30 years + for guidance :greengrin

Honestly I don't know how it goes.

In answer to your point, whether the refugee song is deemed racist or not is irrelevant. it is! its the topic we are discussing

Pedantics don't come in to it. your web based analogies for the definition of refugee makes it pendantic in thier attempt to belittle the fact the song is deemed to be racist[/QUOTE]

So what? The fact that it isn't racist by definition prevails I'm afraid.

[/QUOTE]
It can cause offense and clearly does with some and is meant to put that wee scrote off his game and it's effectiveness therein is questionable as he is good against us more often than not. Well lets throw bananas at black players aswell im sure this would upset them[/QUOTE]

Now you're being pedantic.

[/QUOTE]Social etiquette is something that has rarely crept in to football in 135 years so I don't see it starting any time soon. Did you know that up untill circa 300 years ago we thought the world was flat and somewhere you could fall off the edge!![/QUOTE]
...:wink:[/QUOTE]

And again.....

MCameron
10-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Why would we welcome a Hertz player? :confused

I wasnt suggesting we should welcome him - You just don't seem to get it!

The paranoid gestures that you are a Yam don't seem so far fetched IMO.

Think what you like - I know I'm 100% hibby.

So you're now suggesting that because I don't care if this song is sung I am going against the clubs wishes and therefore am not a supporter of HFC?

The club 100% want these types of song to stop.

I'm not going to get in to another argument about what not sharing your views means.

Good. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to share your views tricolor. I am sure the club would be interested in your views - they have different views though. Would you vote for a political party whose views you disagreed with?

Not that I need to prove it to you but I am a supporter of

25 years. You seem more like a crap politician than an actual football fan. Sticks snd stones aye.

Do one mate. - WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS EH!:aok:

Tricla
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
And put you point in bold red to make sure it gets through to me! :greengrin

1875godsgift
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=Ernie Cobra;2777079][QUOTE=Tricla;2777069]I'll be 100% honest when I say I have no idea how the Edinburgh is wonderful song goes BTW. I am a Hibs supporter of 25+ years but not originally from here. Ask another Hibs fan, maybe one of 30 years + for guidance :greengrin

I've been going to ER for 35+ years, albeit not regularly, and come from there, but I can't think which song it is? :confused:

Removed
10-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Why can't folk manage to quote properly? I'm getting confused who's on what side now :greengrin

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 08:30 PM

Pedantics don't come in to it. your web based analogies for the definition of refugee makes it pendantic in thier attempt to belittle the fact the song is deemed to be racist

So what? The fact that it isn't racist by definition prevails I'm afraid.

[/QUOTE]
It can cause offense and clearly does with some and is meant to put that wee scrote off his game and it's effectiveness therein is questionable as he is good against us more often than not. Well lets throw bananas at black players aswell im sure this would upset them[/QUOTE]

Now you're being pedantic.

[/QUOTE]Social etiquette is something that has rarely crept in to football in 135 years so I don't see it starting any time soon. Did you know that up untill circa 300 years ago we thought the world was flat and somewhere you could fall off the edge!![/QUOTE]
...:wink:[/QUOTE]

And again.....[/QUOTE]

yawn....i grow weary of your poor web based dictionary grammar and logic, all points made are valid other than the last little point which was meant in its origin to draw a parrallell with your illogical musings. I must retire now and have my chech refugee maid fetch my smoking jacket and pipe. As it is time for Mr mcilroy to fall apart in front of the watching world for thier televisual delectation.

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=Ernie Cobra;2777079][QUOTE=Tricla;2777069]I'll be 100% honest when I say I have no idea how the Edinburgh is wonderful song goes BTW. I am a Hibs supporter of 25+ years but not originally from here. Ask another Hibs fan, maybe one of 30 years + for guidance :greengrin

I've been going to ER for 35+ years, albeit not regularly, and come from there, but I can't think which song it is? :confused:
ask a fan of 40 years + for guidance :wink:

lapsedhibee
10-04-2011, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=65bd;2777098]Why can't folk manage to quote properly? I'm getting confused who's on what side now :greengrin

Totally agree :agree:

Wembley67
10-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Just shows how ***** a day out on the terraces has become, some people must get offended just opening their eyes in the morning.

Oh and mercer is deid.

Tricla
WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS EH!

Yes, I feel defeated by you and your avalanche of solid political and social standpoints.

But not half as defeated as I feel as I have been by how mediocre you have made me feel as a Hibs supporter and how much I have gone against a club I have paid Ł1000's to over the years due to my views on a few meaningless words.

Still do one ya :trumpet:

Removed
[QUOTE=lapsedhibee;2777108][QUOTE=65bd;2777098]Why can't folk manage to quote properly? I'm getting confused who's on what side now :greengrin

Totally agree :agree:[/QUOTE

Tricla
Just shows how ***** a day out on the terraces has become, some people must get offended just opening their eyes in the morning.

Oh and mercer is deid.

:not worth

1875godsgift
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
ask a fan of 40 years + for guidance :wink:

How does the Edinburgh is Wonderful song go?

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
to the tune of when the saints go marching in...replaced with some rather choice right wing lyrics. And has been heard on the terraces of easter road, not now it has to be said, but as we are on the downward spiral.......

HNA12
10-04-2011, 08:40 PM

Somebody can PM you if you really don't know. It isn't getting posted up on here.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 08:41 PM
yawn....i grow weary of your poor web based dictionary grammar and logic, all points made are valid other than the last little point which was meant in its origin to draw a parrallell with your illogical musings. I must retire now and have my chech refugee maid fetch my smoking jacket and pipe. As it is time for Mr mcilroy to fall apart in front of the watching world for thier televisual delectation.

It's not my logic. It's fact but don't let that get in the way for you!

Throwing bananas at black people is meant as a racist slur and has been well documented which I agree with and accept. IMO the refugee song doesn't have that intention nor definition so isn't comparable.

I am glad you are retiring as I was growing weary of your non factually backed up chat! :devil:

I hope Rory hangs on though!

Tricla
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Only 2 pages to go ladies and gents!

1875godsgift
10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Somebody can PM you if you really don't know. It isn't getting posted up on here.

It's ok, I still don't know it but if it's right wing ***** I don't want to!

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2011, 09:30 PM
So, have we established that the little ditty is objectionable to some, but, not racist yet?

Wembley67
10-04-2011, 09:33 PM
So, have we established that the little ditty is objectionable to some, but, not racist yet?

Looks like it. I really don't appreciate the bigoted nature of it though.

hibsbollah
10-04-2011, 09:39 PM

you might not like it, but thats the nature of the song.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Good! I was starting to worry about myself after being accused of being racist by a young Brazilian with a strange haircut after the Scotland game @ The Emirates!

Tricla
10-04-2011, 09:57 PM

I'm afraid not. Some still 'deem' it as racist and choose to ignore what racist actually is.

Andy74
10-04-2011, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=Andy74;2777032]Do you live in Scotland?

You will know the sweary word is just a filler most of the time and makes no odds to the song. singing Hartley is gay or Hartley is ****ing gay is only different due to the phrasing of the song.[/QUOTEi

Dearie dearie me!:bitchy::bitchy:

....and nothing to do with it being blatantly homophobic whether expletives are added or not.

Thanks. You are kind of making my point for me.

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 10:16 PM
I think some are using this thread to increase thier post count, thus gving them the uber fan status that they so clearly crave.

Removed
10-04-2011, 10:17 PM
I think some are using this thread to increase thier post count, thus gving them the uber fan status that they so clearly crave.

Surely not :bitchy:

MCameron
10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, I feel defeated by you and your avalanche of solid political and social standpoints.

But not half as defeated as I feel as I have been by how mediocre you have made me feel as a Hibs supporter and how much I have gone against a club I have paid Ł1000's to over the years due to my views on a few meaningless words.

Still do one ya :trumpet: Yup - says it all really. when debate and discussion get too difficult it's the easiest route to take tricycle.

Tricla
10-04-2011, 10:23 PM

:confused:

Dashing Bob S
10-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Can't be bothered looking through the thread. Did we resolve the riveting issue of whether the Rudi S Refugee song is racist or just offensive, embarrassing crap?

Tricla
10-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Yup - says it all really. when debate and discussion get too difficult it's the easiest route to take tricycle.

Now you have called me Tricolor, Tractor and Tricycle! None of which has appeared witty nor humerous so can only be a feeble attempt at slander. Should I complain to the club under your interpreted rules of racism? What if I was to act bairnesk and and call you various connotations of your username such as MCamerprat, MCamertool or MC***.

Thank heavens I roll as a sticks and stones type of guy! :greengrin

You are hypocrisy personified my friend.

Debate and discussion are impossible with someone who is devoid of these skills such as yourself. These skills involve being able to hear the views of others whilst not necessarily accepting them.

Again, do one.

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 10:38 PM

i hae processed all of your posts throught the flux capacitor, and its findingsare, that you are:

a) at the wind up
b) feeling somewhat inadequate due to your low post count and see this thread as an ideal way of inflation
c) you are indeed Johnny of johnny goes to the shops with 50p fame.......
d) Rudi Skatchel, meaning you are actually best place to pass comment on the emotional turmoil that is felt upon hearing this song.

HNA1
10-04-2011, 10:42 PM
i hae processed all of your posts throught the flux capacitor, and its findingsare, that you are:

a) at the wind up
b) feeling somewhat inadequate due to your low post count and see this thread as an ideal way of inflation
d) Rudi Skatchel, meaning you are actually best place to pass comment on the emotional turmoil that is felt upon hearing this song.

Any chance you guys can keep this on topic before it degenerates into tit-for-tat digs, please?

Tricla
10-04-2011, 10:45 PM

a) at the wind up

Again :confused:

BTW, can I see your flux capacitor? :greengrin

Edit: You're post count is miles lower than mine! Who's on the windup?

Ernie Cobra
10-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Any chance you guys can keep this on topic before it degenerates into tit-for-tat digs, please?

i feel that i am on topic........as i have said on numerous occassions there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that yuri gagarins first space flight is more important than the american moon landing

HNA1
10-04-2011, 10:57 PM
i feel that i am on topic........as i have said on numerous occassions there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that yuri gagarins first space flight is more important than the american moon landing

That's more like it.:thumbsup:

The Falcon
10-04-2011, 11:18 PM
Now you have called me Tricolor, Tractor and Tricycle! None of which has appeared witty nor humerous so can only be a feeble attempt at slander. Should I complain to the club under your interpreted rules of racism? What if I was to act bairnesk and and call you various connotations of your username such as MCamerprat, MCamertool or MC***.

Thank heavens I roll as a sticks and stones type of guy! :greengrin

You are hypocrisy personified my friend.

Debate and discussion are impossible with someone who is devoid of these skills such as yourself. These skills involve being able to hear the views of others whilst not necessarily accepting them.

Again, do one.

Fair enough. But is it racsist or bigoted? Thats the big question.

blairwallace
11-04-2011, 12:17 AM
i find it funny that the older members of this forum are saying that the song is unacceptable, when these members, who in their youth had people at easter road singing irish songs and went about in 'firms' as hooligans fighting other teams fans, notorious for weapon wielding (poles, petrol bombs). yet a song sang against our teams closest rivals as a way of getting stuck into them about saying their "idol" is a refugee to simply wind them up and find this offensive

Ernie Cobra
11-04-2011, 01:39 AM
i find it funny that the older members of this forum are saying that the song is unacceptable, when these members, who in their youth had people at easter road singing irish songs and went about in 'firms' as hooligans fighting other teams fans, notorious for weapon wielding (poles, petrol bombs). yet a song sang against our teams closest rivals as a way of getting stuck into them about saying their "idol" is a refugee to simply wind them up and find this offensive

youve been dan the battle cruiser wiv danny dyer again intcha geezer.

sesoim
11-04-2011, 02:21 AM
There's banter and there's banter though and I guess it's up to us as individuals to set a benchmark.

Singing songs about someone being "bald" or "fat" doesn't quite reach the murky grey quagmire that the Skacel songs does.

Personally, I'd rather get called a refugee than "fatty" or "baldy"

sesoim
11-04-2011, 03:01 AM

:agree: People that take these things literally must be pretty thick. But some folk also use these things as an excuse to get all politically correct (ie a couple of embarrassing posters here), as it makes them feel in some way morally superior.

What I hate the most about this kind of issue is the hypocrisy. In society now, an individual can receive all kind of disgusting personal insults and get no support. But if someone receives even the slightest hint of an insult that ticks the PC brigade's agenda, then there is a huge public outcry.

marinello59
11-04-2011, 06:41 AM
:agree: People that take these things literally must be pretty thick.(Starting your post by insulting those who hold a different viewpoint from yourself is certainly an interesting tactic. ) But some folk also use these things as an excuse to get all politically correct (Ah, that term again. A lazy way of labelling those who disagree with the users viewpoint (ie a couple of embarrassing posters here), (Actually I will put my hands up to that one. My family would agree.:greengrin.) as it makes them feel in some way morally superior.
(Morally superior? Is asking fellow fans not to sing a song because you find it racist or just plain embarrassing an attempt to claim moral superiority? Anyway now we have got past your spiteful sneers let's get to your actual point)
What I hate the most about this kind of issue is the hypocrisy. In society now, an individual can receive all kind of disgusting personal insults and get no support. But if someone receives even the slightest hint of an insult that ticks the PC brigade's agenda, then there is a huge public outcry.

Pc brigades agenda? That lazy label again. Surely the majority of people are fairly well adjusted and find any disgusting personal insult objectionable. Or am I moving in the wrong circles? What point are you actually making here? Are you calling for all disgusting chants to be banned or are you suggesting that two wrongs would make a right? Or are you simply throwing another jibe at those who disagree with you by labelling them hypocrites?

I wouldn't claim the poll result on here to be scientific but it does seem that the majority dislike the song for whatever reason. (Whether it is because they find it racist or just an embarrassment to our support.) You never actually said yourself. Do you sing it?

bighairyfaeleith
11-04-2011, 06:54 AM
read a lot of the posts on here, and I have to say that my viewpoint is still the same, I generally do not sing it, but it doesn't bother me as a song and I don't think racist when I hear it sung.

I personally think as a set of fans, we are far to quick to jump on our own, after the derby this always comes up but I was far more annoyed at he throwing of objects etc than I was by any song that was sung.

If people don't like the song don't sing it, if no one sings it will quickly disappear.

Beefster
11-04-2011, 06:54 AM
:agree: People that take these things literally must be pretty thick. But some folk also use these things as an excuse to get all politically correct (ie a couple of embarrassing posters here), as it makes them feel in some way morally superior.

From the man that insisted that Colin Calderwood was a proven huddie and that Jimmy Calderwood was the answer to all our prayers before falling completely silent once we started winning, I'm not sure that you're qualified to comment on what makes a poster embarrassing.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 07:45 AM

If you're referring to me let me make my point crystal clear. I think ANY song that taunts others on grounds of race, religion, gender or ANY other aspect that people think make them different is unaceptable (as do 'our' club). If half the effort was put into singing songs 'bigging up' our club and our players perhaps they would get a positive lift from it that would outweigh the negative effect you claim to be trying to have on the other team's players - no?

This poll shows a significant percentage of support deem the song unacceptable. What worries me is the element that see nothing at all wrong with it. If 30% of our fanbase is okay about this being sung is this really any more than across at Gorgie, Ibrox or Parkhead in percentage terms that sing songs that they can see nothing wrong with? It goes deeper than songs at football - Scottish society is still rotten with racism, bigotry, homophobia and other intolerances.

pentlando
11-04-2011, 08:33 AM
If you're referring to me let me make my point crystal clear. I think ANY song that taunts others on grounds of race, religion, gender or ANY other aspect that people think make them different is unaceptable (as do 'our' club). If half the effort was put into singing songs 'bigging up' our club and our players perhaps they would get a positive lift from it that would outweigh the negative effect you claim to be trying to have on the other team's players - no?

This poll shows a significant percentage of support deem the song unacceptable. What worries me is the element that see nothing at all wrong with it. If 30% of our fanbase is okay about this being sung is this really any more than across at Gorgie, Ibrox or Parkhead in percentage terms that sing songs that they can see nothing wrong with? It goes deeper than songs at football - Scottish society is still rotten with racism, bigotry, homophobia and other intolerances.

I'm not pro the skacel song or anti it, but by your point there it would wipe out the majority of songs. For example we could no longer sing 'you hearts *****', as we would be taunting them because of a sporting institute they chose to represent, meaning taunting them on an 'aspect that people think make them different'. Once this song is broken down it is in theory no worse than the above chant that i've never heard anyone complain about before.

JimBHibees
11-04-2011, 08:40 AM

The rallying call of the bigot I am afraid. The Skacel song is one that no doubt sad losers that follow the BNP would be creaming themselves with given it completely suits their agenda of hating foreigners who come to this country to work or make a life. To sing this song at a football game is an embarressment to the club and like it or not is full of racist overtones.

Tricla
11-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Just out of interest, do you have a problem with the 'Gorgie/Weegie Slums' song, the 'Sheep' song, the 'Only happy on Giro day' song etc?

These have been aired on the terraces for years and 'our club' don't seem to care. However according to you (the new club spokesman it would appear) they are no longer acceptable.

You really are a budding martyr for political correctness (apologies for use of the lazy term) and if you have it your way we will soon be standing on the terraces humming tunes rather than singing songs for fear of making somebody cry.

Tricla
11-04-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm not pro the skacel song or anti it, but by your point there it would wipe out the majority of songs. For example we could no longer sing 'you hearts b*****d', as we would be taunting them because of a sporting institute they chose to represent, meaning taunting them on an 'aspect that people think make them different'. Once this song is broken down it is in theory no worse than the above chant that i've never heard anyone complain about before.

Good point. MCameron is on a one man mission to silence the masses.

RickyS
11-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Just out of interest, do you have a problem with the 'Gorgie/Weegie Slums' song, the 'Sheep' song, the 'Only happy on Giro day' song etc?

These have been aired on the terraces for years and 'our club' don't seem to care. However according to you (the new club spokesman it would appear) they are no longer acceptable.

You really are a budding martyr for political correctness (apologies for use of the lazy term) and if you have it your way we will soon be standing on the terraces humming tunes rather than singing songs for fear of making somebody cry.

one would like to congratulate you on the excellent post old chap:greengrin

Greentinted
11-04-2011, 10:25 AM

When you say 'older' where about in the chronological scheme of things does your generalisation fall? (Serious question - not a dig)
If you refer to the 70s-80s, it would be fair to say that not all of us endorsed any of the examples you cite above and many others stopped attending Easter Road, particularly when the casual movement had taken a firm hold (and I'm not wishing to take this down the digressive avenue of another 'casual/hooligan' debate).
I'd like to think we are a more enlightened society now, and add this to the post-internet phenomena of instant information which is a major precipitant factor in this enlightenment, then surely even us 'older guys' are permitted a modicum of regret and a post-enlightenment rebuttal of the once accepted 'values'.

basehibby
11-04-2011, 10:41 AM

Genuine refugees are among the most vulnerable people in our society - these are ordinary people who have lost everything in fleeing war, persecution or natural disaster and they include men, women and children of all ages.

Personally I don't feel at all right about singing any song that further stigmatises these people. I also feel embarassed and annoyed at the ignorant fandangoes in our support who would associate the name of Hibernian FC with their own small mindeness by singing this along with other garbage like the "Edinburgh Song" at ER.

"If they knew their history" these fannies would realise that the founders of Hibernian FC would likely hold a very dim view of these pathetic attempts at "banter", coming as they did from an imigrant population some of whom were probably refugees of a kind themselves.

Mikeystewart
11-04-2011, 10:46 AM
It interesting that the two mostly vied and posted on topics on the thread the last couple of days has been related to hearts. Is there nothing going on with Hibs at the moment?

Albanian Hibs
11-04-2011, 10:50 AM

My husband couldn't care less. You could change Skacel's name to his name in the song and he would find it amusing. Those close to us know his past "immigration status" and he is happy to tell us all the stories. This song means nothing, it's not offensive or racist to us what so ever. It's just a very catchy tune IMO.

basehibby
11-04-2011, 10:56 AM

Some of Hitler's Brown shirts had jewish girlfriends.....

HUTCHYHIBBY
11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Some of Hitler's Brown shirts had jewish girlfriends.....

surprised it took so long! :rolleyes:

Harpandcastle
11-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Good point. MCameron is on a one man mission to silence the masses.

The self importance certain people grant themselves is outstanding.

Maybe game by game we could be told what every individual in the stadium will find offensive, funny, rude etc so we know what can and cannot be said, sung or even thought. Or maybe we just sit there thinking pure thoughts looking like a team of clowns with our green glasses on then go online afterwards and give ourselves a big pat on the back for being really great guys?

The last thing I need is trying to watch a game in an environment of people keeling over in shock or bursting into tears. It would also save all the moral cruisaders collecting seat numbers and calling for people to be banned on a weekly basis.

Beefster
11-04-2011, 11:29 AM
The self importance certain people grant themselves is outstanding.

Maybe game by game we could be told what every individual in the stadium will find offensive, funny, rude etc so we know what can and cannot be said, sung or even thought. Or maybe we just sit there thinking pure thoughts looking like a team of clowns with our green glasses on then go online afterwards and give ourselves a big pat on the back for being really great guys?

The last thing I need is trying to watch a game in an environment of people keeling over in shock or bursting into tears. It would also save all the moral cruisaders collecting seat numbers and calling for people to be banned on a weekly basis.

Why don't you post on the 'Rangers to be punished by UEFA' thread that they should be able to sing whatever bigoted ***** that they want, that UEFA's self-importance is breathtaking and who cares anyway if a few Catholics get targeted for abuse?

basehibby
11-04-2011, 11:29 AM

What?!?!?

It's a perfectly valid comparison - the assertion that just cos someone who's married to an Eastern European finds the Skachel song amusing then it must be OK, holds about as much water as saying that just cos some of Hitler's Brown Shirts were dating Jewish girls then the Nazis didn't have an anti semitic agenda.

Get it?!?!?

Luna_Asylum
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Its more of the same in fact. We were lectured on Belsin by the thread starter/unofficial club spokeman on the Scotsman article thread.

basehibby
11-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Its more of the same in fact. We were lectured on Belsin by the thread starter/unofficial club spokeman on the Scotsman article thread.

Is it so surprising when we're discussing a song disparaging refugees that the subject wanders in this direction?

bighairyfaeleith
11-04-2011, 11:39 AM
What?!?!?

It's a perfectly valid comparison - the assertion that just cos someone who's married to an Eastern European finds the Skachel song amusing then it must be OK, holds about as much water as saying that just cos some of Hitler's Brown Shirts were dating Jewish girls then the Nazis didn't have an anti semitic agenda.

Get it?!?!?

seriously get a grip!!!

basehibby
11-04-2011, 11:44 AM
seriously get a grip!!!

You need to get a grip of your senses if you can't see the comparison - as obvious as the nose on your face!

HNA12
11-04-2011, 11:45 AM
If this is just going to degenerate in to a series of posts telling each other to get a grip etc etc we'll just close the thread. The Poll has closed anyway, too late to change each others voting intentions now.:greengrin

basehibby
11-04-2011, 11:54 AM
If this is just going to degenerate in to a series of posts telling each other to get a grip etc etc we'll just close the thread. The Poll has closed anyway, too late to change each others voting intentions now.:greengrin

OK - just let me clear up that in my post above I have not acused anyone on this thread of being a Nazi - I can see how that could maybe be misconstrued so lets put that to bed - however, lets also be clear that to SOME folk, singing songs ripping the pish out of refugees DOES make you a nazi - which is why some of us feel very uncomfortable about such songs being associated with our precious Hibernian FC.

Harpandcastle
11-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Why don't you post on the 'Rangers to be punished by UEFA' thread that they should be able to sing whatever bigoted ***** that they want, that UEFA's self-importance is breathtaking and who cares anyway if a few Catholics get targeted for abuse?

As I understand it Uefa are a governing body who organise tournaments and therefore set the rules, not some individual with a major opinion of themselves.

Twice previously (I think) Rangers had been warned by this organisation as to their fans conduct, things have continued. To my knowledge Hibernian have recieved no warnings or charges from any governing body.

In everyday life I see and hear all manner of things I agree with and disagree with. I get on with things and dont get too upset, some of the things mentioned on this thread I personally would choose not to say / sing, that does not mean I expect all others to behave as I do nor will I be emailing Hibs requesting anyone to be banned from attending.

Beefster
11-04-2011, 11:59 AM
As I understand it Uefa are a governing body who organise tournaments and therefore set the rules, not some individual with a major opinion of themselves.

Twice previously (I think) Rangers had been warned by this organisation as to their fans conduct, things have continued. To my knowledge Hibernian have recieved no warnings or charges from any governing body.

In everyday life I see and hear all manner of things I agree with and disagree with. I get on with things and dont get too upset, some of the things mentioned on this thread I personally would choose not to say / sing, that does not mean I expect all others to behave as I do nor will I be emailing Hibs requesting anyone to be banned from attending.

So you have to get a couple of fines/warnings from the club or an authority before bigotry becomes unacceptable? Fair enough, I disagree though.

bighairyfaeleith
11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
OK - just let me clear up that in my post above I have not acused anyone on this thread of being a Nazi - I can see how that could maybe be misconstrued so lets put that to bed - however, lets also be clear that to SOME folk, singing songs ripping the pish out of refugees DOES make you a nazi - which is why some of us feel very uncomfortable about such songs being associated with our precious Hibernian FC.

I'm sorry, thats so obvious now:not worth

bighairyfaeleith
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
So you have to get a couple of fines/warnings from the club or an authority before bigotry becomes unacceptable? Fair enough, I disagree though.

you'd think you where a tory with that sort of spin beefy:greengrin

I think the point is that many people don't see it as bigotry and as we have not been punished for it or told not to sing that song then is it actually bigotry?

Just because someone on a forum says it is doesn't mean it's true.

Hibercelona
11-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Don't sing it myself, but I don't see the big deal with it either. I personally think the pedo/beast songs are far worse.

Dinkydoo
11-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Don't sign it myself as I think it's a really offensive song, not racist but it's showing an intolerance towards people that have been through a hell of a lot of crap to escape thier homeland in order to live peacefully and without threat elsewhere.

It's actually quite sad that people still sign it; probably the same folk who call hearts mini huns too, oh the irony. :rolleyes:

Tricla
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM

I assume you feel uncomfortable therefore see people who sing this song as Nazi's therefore you are calling them Nazi's. :confused:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Beefster
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
you'd think you where a tory with that sort of spin beefy:greengrin

I think the point is that many people don't see it as bigotry and as we have not been punished for it or told not to sing that song then is it actually bigotry?

Just because someone on a forum says it is doesn't mean it's true.

62% of folk saying it gives it more weight than those that think it's harmless banter though.

Tricla
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Genuine refugees are among the most vulnerable people in our society - these are ordinary people who have lost everything in fleeing war, persecution or natural disaster and they include men, women and children of all ages.

Personally I don't feel at all right about singing any song that further stigmatises these people. I also feel embarassed and annoyed at the ignorant fandangoes in our support who would associate the name of Hibernian FC with their own small mindeness by singing this along with other garbage like the "Edinburgh Song" at ER.

"If they knew their history" these fannies would realise that the founders of Hibernian FC would likely hold a very dim view of these pathetic attempts at "banter", coming as they did from an imigrant population some of whom were probably refugees of a kind themselves.

So should we refrain from further stigmatising Weegies, Sheep and Jumbos by not singing the songs we have sung about them for decades?

Where do we actually draw the line.

As I have said, if it were up to those who IMO have shown a gross overreaction to this subject then we'd have very muted terraces indeed.

Tricla
11-04-2011, 12:33 PM
62% of folk saying it gives it more weight than those that think it's harmless banter though.

Will this same 62% feel the same about calling Hertz fans 'Hertz B*******', singing 'In yer Gorgie/Weegie Slums or 'Yer Just a Sheep ******** *******'?

I very much doubt it.

By the letter of the 'law' these can be seen as bigoted too surely?

The refugee song is overly scrutinised IMO and those who sing the above songs but say the refugee song is unacceptable need to get their argument in order.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Lectured? That's your opinion - it's a forum and I was merely stating a matter fact.

HibsMax
11-04-2011, 12:43 PM

I have not read all this thread. In fact, I stopped after reading the bit in bold. Irrelevant, condescending and laughable. LOL.

bighairyfaeleith
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM

It does, but it also shows a sizeable % who either aren't bothered by it or actively sing it.

I can understand people not liking this song, however I also understand peoples frustration at being continually told you can't say this, you can't sing that, etc etc.

I suppose I just don't like the watering down of the matchday experience, for me football isn't politically correct, it isn't polite, it isn't courteous to others, for those 90 minutes I genuinely don't care about the people in the other stands, for one afternoon every other week I can pretty much say what I want. I am in no hurry to change that situation.

iwasthere1972
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Will this same 62% feel the same about calling Hertz fans 'Hertz B*******', singing 'In yer Gorgie/Weegie Slums or 'Yer Just a Sheep ******** *******'?

I very much doubt it.

The refugee song is overly scrutinised IMO and those who sing the above songs but say the refugee song is unacceptable need to get their argument in order.

The difference being is that they are factually correct.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 12:48 PM
As I have said, if it were up to those who IMO have shown a gross overreaction to this subject then we'd have very muted terraces indeed.

Because we can't sing songs that promote our club and players?

basehibby
11-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I assume you feel uncomfortable therefore see people who sing this song as Nazi's therefore you are calling them Nazi's. :confused:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Eh??? WTF you on about :confused:

basehibby
11-04-2011, 12:54 PM
So should we refrain from further stigmatising Weegies, Sheep and Jumbos by not singing the songs we have sung about them for decades?

Where do we actually draw the line.

None so blind as those that refuse to see eh?!?

Are Weegies, Sheep and Jumbos particularly vulnerable members of society - NO - they are just football fans like the rest of us who have an unspoken license to rip the pish oot each other.

You ask where we draw the line??? I personally draw the line at racist and sectarian bullsheight which is at odds with our club and holds it in a bad light to the rest of the world - IMO the Skachell song comes into that category - even if some of it's perpetrators seem blissfully unaware of the fact.

Storar
11-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Because we can't sing songs that promote our club and players?

What about Hail Hail, We Are Hibernian FC, We Hate Glasgow Rangers, You Are My Palsson, He's One of our own, Glory Glory, ooh to be, only one Sodje, Sunshine on Leith...?

silly argument. The Skacel song is probably a bit racist and is definitely offensive but so what? That's the point. Football games are just a massive pantomime anyway and people shouldn't take what goes on inside the ground seriously at all.

Wembley67
11-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Woooohoooooo 7 pages of rubbish, we hit the target :rockin::applause:

MCameron
11-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I never mentioned at any point I was a spokesman for the club - but I can read their rules and apply logic to them.

Perhaps our club's actual spokesman should make the club's views known? I wouldn't have a problem with that - perhaps more families would be inclined to come along if this nonsense was a thing of the past. I remember the feeling on the Hampden stands after the killie final - positive songs sung with emotion - great day to be a hibby.

bighairyfaeleith
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM

:thumbsup: only on :hnet:

Hibercelona
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM

Err 5 pages. :greengrin

Will no doubt spin out into a 500+ page cracker though.... :drool:

MCameron
11-04-2011, 01:05 PM
What about Hail Hail, We Are Hibernian FC, We Hate Glasgow Rangers, You Are My Palsson, He's One of our own, Glory Glory, ooh to be, only one Sodje, Sunshine on Leith...?

silly argument. The Skacel song is probably a bit racist and is definitely offensive but so what? That's the point. Football games are just a massive pantomime anyway and people shouldn't take what goes on inside the ground seriously at all.

No your right - neither should they take the resultant breaches of the peace, domestic violence, glassings, stabbings and murders seriously either. Dearie me....

Tricla
11-04-2011, 01:06 PM
None so blind as those that refuse to see eh?!?

Are Weegies, Sheep and Jumbos particularly vulnerable members of society - NO - they are just football fans like the rest of us who have an unspoken license to rip the pish oot each other.

You ask where we draw the line??? I personally draw the line at racist and sectarian bullsheight which is at odds with our club and holds it in a bad light to the rest of the world - IMO the Skachell song comes into that category - even if some of it's perpetrators seem blissfully unaware of the fact.

This is irrelevant. According to the OP's (our new club spokesman) logic we cannot sing anything that singles anyone or any group out from anyone else because of their differences. Also, we cannot sing anything offensive or prejudiced in any way. We can only sing songs that promote our team and players.

Based on this you'd need to draw your line in a different place I'm afraid.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 01:09 PM
This is irrelevant. According to the OP's (our new club spokesman) logic we cannot sing anything that singles anyone or any group out from anyone else because of their differences. Also, we cannot sing anything offensive or prejudiced in any way. We can only sing songs that promote our team and players.

Yawn...running out of arguments Tricla?

Storar
11-04-2011, 01:11 PM
No your right - neither should they take the resultant breaches of the peace, domestic violence, glassings, stabbings and murders seriously either. Dearie me....

If that's your opinion then fair enough. Personally I think that domestic violence, stabbings and murders should be taken seriously though.
As for singing a stupid song at a football ground...nah

Tricla
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
No your right - neither should they take the resultant breaches of the peace, domestic violence, glassings, stabbings and murders either. Dearie me....

And this is all due to racism and bigotry??? :confused:

So how do you explain the above when it's a Hibs v Celtic match or a Rangers v Hertz match because surely if it's all down to bigotry then we would see no disturbance at all before, during and after these fixtures as both sets of fans are batting for the same team surely?

Tricla
11-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Yawn...running out of arguments Tricla?

basehibby
11-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Read the thread title - this is nothing to do with the OP's logic, it's about whether we find the Skatchell song "acceptable" - I'll draw my line where I chose to and for me the Skatchel song crosses it. From the poll at the top of the thread it would appear that a CLEAR majority agree with the OP's conclusion, regardless of the logic he used to get there - so going by that he's more of a club spokesman than you are on this topic.

Tricla
11-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Read the thread title - this is nothing to do with the OP's logic, it's about whether we find the Skatchell song "acceptable" - I'll draw my line where I chose to and for me the Skatchel song crosses it. From the poll at the top of the thread it would appear that a CLEAR majority agree with the OP's conclusion, regardless of the logic he used to get there - so going by that he's more of a club spokesman than you are on this topic.

I think you'll find it is everything to do with his logic not only on this thread but the Scotsman Article thread too. I can't find the exact post but he says that we can't sing anything that can be remotely construed as prejudiced so the vast majority of our 'dittys' would fall in to this category.

As I have made clear before, I do not sing the refugee song and I can see why some may find it offensive. What I am concerned with is the holes in the logic of some who have singled this song and its supposed undertones out for scrutiny whilst ignoring that based on their logic there are many others that couldn't be sung either.

Also, I (not that I care remember cos I'm a sticks and stones guy:wink:) I and others have been branded bigots for not caring if this song is sung and that we are lesser supporters for having this view.

Where does the OP get the right to make these statements and then maintain that it is not acceptable to try and offend people?

IMO his argument especially is tainted in its content and by his attempts at a moral crusade.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 01:31 PM
And this is all due to racism and bigotry??? :confused:

So how do you explain the above when it's a Hibs v Celtic match or a Rangers v Hertz match because surely if it's all down to bigotry then we would see no disturbance at all before, during and after these fixtures as both sets of fans are batting for the same team surely?

......'batting for the same team'. Care to expand o what you mean there?

marinello59
11-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I think you'll find it is everything to do with his logic not only on this thread but the Scotsman Article thread too. I can't find the exact post but he says that we can't sing anything that can be remotely construed as prejudiced so the vast majority of our 'dittys' would fall in to this category.

As I have made clear before, I do not sing the refugee song and I can see why some may find it offensive. What I am concerned with is the holes in the logic of some who have singled this song and its supposed undertones out for scrutiny whilst ignoring that based on their logic there are many others that couldn't be sung either.

Also, I (not that I care remember cos I'm a sticks and stones guy:wink:) I and others have been branded bigots for not caring if this song is sung and that we are lesser supporters for having this view.

Where does the OP get the right to make these statements and then maintain that it is not acceptable to try and offend people?

IMO his argument especially is tainted in its content and by his attempts at a moral crusade.

Point out where somebody has actually called you a bigot in this thread. Or on the other one.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 01:35 PM

I'll clear this up. I wouldn't want to sing anything prejudiced. Not sure why anyone would tbh. What I am against is people singing songs that are racist, bigotted, homophobic - the same as the club actually. If promoting the rules that our club have published on their website makes me a spokesman for the club I have supported for 35 years then so be it.:na na:

MCameron
11-04-2011, 01:43 PM
What I am concerned with is the holes in the logic of some who have singled this song and its supposed undertones out for scrutiny whilst ignoring that based on their logic there are many others that couldn't be sung either.

Said on the other thread (or was it this one I'm getting tired now :rolleyes:) that it is not just this particular song I find offensive - but do you really want numerous other polls for the Hartley song, the Edinburgh song etc?? I picked one of a rank bunch. Oh and I saidat least twice previously that if you say you don't sing this it I believe you.

If you're so sure I'm trying to be spokesman for the 60ish percent that detest this song are you happy to be the spokesman for the other 30 odd percent?

marinello59
11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
but do you really want numerous other polls for the Hartley song, the Edinburgh song etc??

For the love of all that is good in this world DON'T. :greengrin

MCameron
11-04-2011, 01:54 PM
For the love of all that is good in this world DON'T. :greengrin

spoilsport :na na:

Tricla
11-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Point out where somebody has actually called you a bigot in this thread. Or on the other one.

I can't be erchied to dig out posts but MCameron was suggesting on the other thread that those who don't care what is sung at the game or 'tolerate' bigotry/racism in his eyes by not policing it are advocates of bigotry/racism themselves.

As I fall in to that category he is pointing the finger at me.

Tricla
11-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Said on the other thread (or was it this one I'm getting tired now :rolleyes:) that it is not just this particular song I find offensive - but do you really want numerous other polls for the Hartley song, the Edinburgh song etc?? I picked one of a rank bunch. Oh and I saidat least twice previously that if you say you don't sing this it I believe you.

If you're so sure I'm trying to be spokesman for the 60ish percent that detest this song are you happy to be the spokesman for the other 30 odd percent?

You mean the bigots? :devil:

Tricla
11-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I'll clear this up. I wouldn't want to sing anything prejudiced. Not sure why anyone would tbh. What I am against is people singing songs that are racist, bigotted, homophobic - the same as the club actually. If promoting the rules that our club have published on their website makes me a spokesman for the club I have supported for 35 years then so be it.:na na:

Have you ever sung the 'Weegie/Gorgie Slums' song, the 'Sheep ******** *******' song, the 'Only happy on giro day' song or have you ever referred to a Hertz fan as 'You Hearts *******' whilst on the terraces.

Be honest now.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 02:07 PM
You mean the bigots? :devil:

surely spokesman for the 'bigots/racists/canny be ersed worrying about the bigots/racists/homophobe' brigade - no? :aok:

marinello59
11-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I can't be erchied to dig out posts but MCameron was suggesting on the other thread that those who don't care what is sung at the game or 'tolerate' bigotry/racism in his eyes by not policing it are advocates of bigotry/racism themselves.

As I fall in to that category he is pointing the finger at me.

So you can't then. :hilarious

lapsedhibee
11-04-2011, 02:09 PM

Weegies from Shettleston are. Worst health in Europe, lowest life expectancy, bla bla bla. If you're going to sing about Weegies could you please insert an extra line specifically exempting Shettlestonians from your taunts. Thanks. :agree:

Tricla
11-04-2011, 02:10 PM
surely spokesman for the 'bigots/racists/canny be ersed worrying about the bigots/racists/homophobe' brigade - no? :aok:

Would this not be the people he/she would represent?

Tricla
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
So you can't then. :hilarious

You posted on that thread so you know what I am talking about.

Hamilton Handling said something along the lines of, "This thread needs to get some perspective before Tricla gets blamed for the holocaust!"

marinello59
11-04-2011, 02:18 PM
You posted on that thread so you know what I am talking about.

Hamilton Handling said something along the lines of, "This thread needs to get some perspective before Tricla gets blamed for the holocaust!"

Well point out where somebody actually said you were a bigot, both on this thread and the other one. If you are going to claim victim status at least back it up. It's kind of ironic coming from somebody who has spent so much time defending a song using a term for true victims of society in a derogatory manner.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Have you ever sung the 'Weegie/Gorgie Slums' song, the 'Sheep ******** *******' song, the 'Only happy on giro day' song or have you ever referred to a Hertz fan as 'You Hearts *******' whilst on the terraces.

Be honest now.

I've been nothing but honest. I've sung the sheep song in the past (long time ago now as I'm getting on a bit!) and in my opinion those who really **** sheep won't get any sympathy from me. The others I've never cared for as they're just immature tripe.

You never clarified what you meant by batting for the same side?

Greentinted
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
If nothing else at least it's been established that the name 'Skacel' is a notoriously difficult one to spell...:devil:

Wembley67
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I've been nothing but honest. I've sung the sheep song in the past (long time ago now as I'm getting on a bit!) and in my opinion those who really **** sheep won't get any sympathy from me. The others I've never cared for as they're just immature tripe.

You never clarified what you meant by batting for the same side?

I think he may be referring that you like the mardi gras.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I think he may be referring that you like the mardi gras.
I think you are off the mark....and surely that would be homophobic so let's not go there.

bighairyfaeleith
11-04-2011, 03:23 PM
I think you are off the mark....and surely that would be homophobic so let's not go there.

surely not going to the mardi gras would be homophobic?:greengrin

Beefster
11-04-2011, 03:42 PM

I very much doubt it.

I don't actually believe that you're as naive / stupid as this post would suggest. If you are though, knock yourself out defending whatever you want.

It does, but it also shows a sizeable % who either aren't bothered by it or actively sing it.

I can understand people not liking this song, however I also understand peoples frustration at being continually told you can't say this, you can't sing that, etc etc.

I suppose I just don't like the watering down of the matchday experience, for me football isn't politically correct, it isn't polite, it isn't courteous to others, for those 90 minutes I genuinely don't care about the people in the other stands, for one afternoon every other week I can pretty much say what I want. I am in no hurry to change that situation.

I'm not really sure the point that you're making, to be honest, other than to say we should be able to say what we want at the football.

The 38% that aren't bothered by the song would also probably say that the song about Sodje's manhood is 'banter' too and then go on to demonise the Rangers fans for singing about the Queen, Pope or some battle from hundreds of years ago.

Tricla
11-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Well point out where somebody actually said you were a bigot, both on this thread and the other one. If you are going to claim victim status at least back it up. It's kind of ironic coming from somebody who has spent so much time defending a song using a term for true victims of society in a derogatory manner.

Firstly, I'm not claiming victim status. I don't feel victimised. I was pointing out that IMO MCamerons argument is all over the place. I it infests you why don't you go and trawl through the other thread and tell me if he was suggesting I was a bigot because of my opinion.

Secondly, I haven't defended the refugee song. I have only questioned it scrutinisation which IMO is way over the top. Especially if this who are against it choose to accept other songs that are sung.

marinello59
11-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Firstly, I'm not claiming victim status. I don't feel victimised. I was pointing out that IMO MCamerons argument is all over the place. I it infests you why don't you go and trawl through the other thread and tell me if he was suggesting I was a bigot because of my opinion.

Secondly, I haven't defended the refugee song. I have only questioned it scrutinisation which IMO is way over the top. Especially if this who are against it choose to accept other songs that are sung.

It was you that raised this not me. :greengrin I did look and at no point are you labelled a bigot. You even go further on the other thread and declare that you were labelled a racist and a bigot. Which you seem to have simply made up as I can't find that either.
As for not defending the song, your first post on the other thread does just that where you declare it not to be racist. Isn't that a defense?

Tricla
11-04-2011, 03:59 PM
I don't actually believe that you're as naive / stupid as this post would suggest. If you are though, knock yourself out defending whatever you want

I'm not defending anything and I do believe that by the OP's logic that these songs are also unacceptable.

Therefore I must be stupid. Thanks for the heads up.:wink:

Harpandcastle
11-04-2011, 04:00 PM
A bit harsh removing my previous post I feel. I owned up to singing / shouting things in the past that may have caused offence to some.

Back on topic, having been to plenty games outside of Scotland I honestly think the Edinburgh derby is very tame compared with loads of other high profile or derby matches, it could even be considered a very watered down version of what it was itself only 15 to 20 years ago. While everyone realises things move on too much sanatization of football will seee crowds dwindle and atmosphere die even more IMO.

Tricla
11-04-2011, 04:01 PM
It was you that raised this not me. :greengrin I did look and at no point are you labelled a bigot. You even go further on the other thread and declare that you were labelled a racist and a bigot. Which you seem to have simply made up as I can't find that either.
As for not defending the song, your first post on the other thread does just that where you declare it not to be racist. Isn't that a defense?

I said that MCameron suggested that people who share my opinion are as good as bigots.

The song isn't racist IMO.

MCameron
11-04-2011, 04:02 PM

How do you reach the concussion that my argument is all over the place? Where have o changed from the fact that I think there is mo place for racist, bigoted or homophobic songs - whether inside or outside a football stadium.

.Sean.
11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
I take it the old ones moaning on this thread never belted out a daft 'offensive' song at the football in their youth?

HNA12
11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
This one now appears to be going round and round in circles. Thread closed.