PDA

View Full Version : Matt Thornhill

H18sry
09-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Is he just Edwin De Graff in a Thornhill shirt, :confused: Yet to be convinced :greengrin

shagpile
09-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Is he just Edwin De Graff in a Thornhill shirt, :confused: Yet to be convinced :greengrin

I don't think he is anywhere near peak fitness. Next season we will see a far better player.

FraserHFC
09-04-2011, 06:42 PM
I've not been very impressed with him either when he's played, but he looked a lot better on wednesday at Celtic Park when he came on, and as they poster above said he's probably a fair bit away from being totally match fit.

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Was it not him who passed to sodje for the goal?

matty_f
09-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I think he has done fine, just not as big an impact as pallson, sodje, or towell.

Wotherspiniesta
09-04-2011, 06:52 PM
I thought he was our best player against Hearts.

lucky
09-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Think he is decent but lets give him time to settle. One thing for sure he is no De Graffe

Sammy7nil
09-04-2011, 06:56 PM

A couple of my mates thought he was good too others thought he was invisible

I think he has a lot to prove - Opinions eh :greengrin

Westie1875
09-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Was it not him who passed to sodje for the goal?

Yes it was.

I don't get why there always needs to be a scapegoat, Thornhill has done well in his last few games IMO, yes it has taken him longer than the others to get up to speed but he was injured when we signed him.

Comparing him to De Graaf is ridiculous IMO, the laddie looks much better on showings so far and is much younger so will only improve.

Onceinawhile
09-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Yes it was.

I don't get why there always needs to be a scapegoat, Thornhill has done well in his last few games IMO, yes it has taken him longer than the others to get up to speed but he was injured when we signed him.

Comparing him to De Graaf is ridiculous IMO, the laddie looks much better on showings so far and is much younger so will only improve.

:agree:

There always is. It's a shame.

The guy has played less than 5 games and is already being written off.:confused:

--------
09-04-2011, 07:18 PM

There always is. It's a shame.

The guy has played less than 5 games and is already being written off.:confused:

I thought he played well; things got a tad difficult after Sodger and Vaz Te went off - Sodje had been holding the ball up and giving the midfield space and time to push up and VT gives us width which we kinda lost when Nish and Spoony came on. Nish couldn't hold the ball up for toffee and this put the midfield under pressure, I thought. MT also took a fairly hard knock around the 70 minute mark, but over all he did fine.

Absolutely no reason to write the guy off.

But some of us always need someone to stick their knives into.

WindyMiller
09-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Nothing wrong with the lad, if he was black with a crazy haircut he'd be a "legend".
I thought he did well against Hertz and will be a good signing for us.

Sodje_18
09-04-2011, 07:31 PM
I like him, he isn't scared of a tackle and certainly throws himself about :agree: a lot of the things he does goes unnoticed :confused: I think he could be a very good player for us next season

Hakim Sar
09-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I really don't like Edwin de Graaf

tamig
09-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Agreed. I think he'll be a big player for us next season.

Speedway
09-04-2011, 07:48 PM
I like him, he isn't scared of a tackle and certainly throws himself about :agree: a lot of the things he does goes unnoticed :confused: I think he could be a very good player for us next season

Unseen you might say.

down-the-slope
09-04-2011, 07:49 PM

He was :agree:

The_Todd
09-04-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't get why there always needs to be a scapegoat

Especially with our current run of form.

H18sry
09-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes it was.

I aint suggesting he is a scapegoat I just have not seen him do enough in the games he has played in, I hope he proves me wrong :agree:

Removed
09-04-2011, 08:03 PM

:agree: but some folk are not happy unless they can have a moan. I don't get some of our 'support', you'd think they'd be happier if we lost :confused:

IWasThere2016
09-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Yes it was.

:agree: He needs a good pre-season also.

sahib
09-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Thornhill, De graaf, Kerr, Wiss, Wilkins, Hamilton all similar roles in various Hibs teams. Makes you think. Is it a position "weaker" players end up in or is it a lack of appreciation, of what they do, by the fans? Maybe, they were just all keech for us.

crash
09-04-2011, 08:20 PM
For me Thornhill has been a disappointment. Yes, he runs about, but he looks completely lost out there. Have to say comparisons with De Graf are accurate.

Iggy Pope
09-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Looks a tidy player to me and I cannot understand the cynicism. Especially when compared to a man that somehow contrived to miss the odd tap in to the empty net on a few occasions and contributed in a massive part to our bolloxed season.

Iggy Pope
09-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Thornhill, De graaf, Kerr, Wiss, Wilkins, Hamilton all similar roles in various Hibs teams. Makes you think. Is it a position "weaker" players end up in or is it a lack of appreciation, of what they do, by the fans? Maybe, they were just all keech for us.

looks a better player than any of them and edit Wilkins out of yer post FFS

greenlex
09-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Calderwood described him as "unfussy". I think that is spot on. Does the simple things and no fannying around. With a pre season and a bit of match fitness he will be a regular starter.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-04-2011, 08:59 PM
After injury 4 games 3 as a sub no?

I know were probably fed up with work in progress but surely we need to give cc and his players some patience and
Understanding. Were not there yet but cc is
Turning the ship around

hibsbollah
09-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Calderwood worked with Thornhill for 3 years when he was a teenager at Forest, and chose to bring him here on the basis that he thought he would do a job. That, and the reaction of the Forest messageboards who were unanimously sad to be losing him, tells me he has something and will end up being a success.

CallumLaidlaw
09-04-2011, 09:20 PM
How people can compare him to de
Graaf is beyond me. De graaf was slow, clumsy, poor first touch.
I haven't seen
Any of those things from thornhill.
Yes he hasn't set the world on fire, but hes had an injury and had to contend With impressing the hibs fans at the same time as towell, booth, palsson, Scott & Sodje

Lofarl
09-04-2011, 09:37 PM
For me Thornhill has been cc's best signing. I have been very impressed with the work he has done. A lot of people see people like pallson do a Hollywood pass or Scott making a crunching challenge.

Thornhill has done neither of those yet the work he does seems to go unnoticed, he has been solid and unfussy in games like today or against hearts. I for one would have him start every week.

Any comparisons to the Dutch master are laughable and you must be smoking those Amsterdam cigarettes if you think de,graff was a better player for us.

Every one of calderwoods signings have been impressive. Some are obvious stopgaps like sodjie. Thornhill I hope will be here for a while. We need a chant for him IMO.

kevinc
09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
For me Thornhill has been cc's best signing. I have been very impressed with the work he has done. A lot of people see people like pallson do a Hollywood pass or Scott making a crunching challenge.

Thornhill has done neither of those yet the work he does seems to go unnoticed, he has been solid and unfussy in games like today or against hearts. I for one would have him start every week.

Any comparisons to the Dutch master are laughable and you must be smoking those Amsterdam cigarettes if you think de,graff was a better player for us.

Every one of calderwoods signings have been impressive. Some are obvious stopgaps like sodjie. Thornhill I hope will be here for a while. We need a chant for him IMO.

Similar view,except VP just shades best signing for me. Thornhill defends all over the park, todays goal was a prime example; vaz Te won the tackle, but Thornhill gets the breakdown ball and creates a goal. He is also an excellent communicator, I expect him to be captain next season.

The_Horde
09-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Similar view,except VP just shades best signing for me. Thornhill defends all over the park, todays goal was aprime example; vaz Te won the tackle, but Thornhill gets the breakdown ball and creates a goal. He is also an excellent communicator, I expect him to be captain next season.

His movement off the ball is good too and he seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time(like todays goal).

I hope Calderwood has his eye on one or two more creative (preferably quick) players for next season as I feel we need to up the tempo of our attacking play, we have lacked a genuine attacking threat all season and I think if he has then thornhill will bag a few goals.

Hopefully de graaf comes back with a point to prove also. :wink:

Albanian Hibs
09-04-2011, 10:30 PM

some people are just never happy

Hank Schrader
09-04-2011, 10:34 PM
For me Thornhill has been a disappointment. Yes, he runs about, but he looks completely lost out there. Have to say comparisons with De Graf are accurate.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this opinion, in my opinion, is bullsh*t.

IWasThere2016
09-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Some real sense on here IMO from HH, Lofarl, Lex, CL etc. MT has been fine, and will improve with improved fitness.

Loopz
09-04-2011, 11:01 PM
MT is my new favourite player. Works the opposition very well and never gives them any time on the ball. He had a very good game against St Mirren at ER and he was nowhere near fit. Another good game against Hearts last week. I have high expectations for a young (22 year old) player.

LaMotta
10-04-2011, 12:33 AM

I thought he played well; things got a tad difficult after Sodger and Vaz Te went off - Sodje had been holding the ball up and giving the midfield space and time to push up and VT gives us width which we kinda lost when Nish and Spoony came on. Nish couldn't hold the ball up for toffee and this put the midfield under pressure, I thought. MT also took a fairly hard knock around the 70 minute mark, but over all he did fine.

Absolutely no reason to write the guy off.

But some of us always need someone to stick their knives into.

:agree:In a similar way that you do to Rob Jones

Thornhill hasn't been great so far from what i've seen of him but he's shown flashes of what he can do - lets see him whens he's fully fit. When Michael O'Neill started playing for Hibs he was poor but ended up being class. On the other hand Brian Kerr started off brilliantly and then.......

.Sean.
10-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Thornhill's gonna be a big player for us. Unfussy and gets himself noticed. I like him

Dashing Bob S
10-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Already a two-page thread on him. If he can just lose the 'Matt' prefix, then he has all the attributes to replace 'Nish', Hogg' and 'Rankin' in our affections.

R'Albin
10-04-2011, 06:29 AM

:agree: people also seem to forget how young he is.

Kaiser1962
10-04-2011, 07:10 AM

Disagree about Thornhill. In the Yams game he created the chance that Deeks/Vaz Te should have converted. He won that particular ball while on his arse still scrapping on the ground against a couple of Yams. Does the simple things very well and not afraid to get stuck in. Been a bit unlucky with injuries but I am certainly hopeful on this front.

And of course De Graff will be back next season as well :greengrin

Beefster
10-04-2011, 07:19 AM
The guys already featured in about 5 games so it was about time we started deciding if he was going to be next season's scapegoat.

IWasThere2016
10-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Already a two-page thread on him. If he can just lose the 'Matt' prefix, then he has all the attributes to replace 'Nish', Hogg' and 'Rankin' in our affections.

Like it! :greengrin

cad
10-04-2011, 07:41 AM
The guys already featured in about 5 games so it was about time we started deciding if he was going to be next season's scapegoat.

I hope the guy is a huge success at Hibs , and out of the games Ive watched him play hes got a bit to go IMO
Matty said injuries , and new to the SPL must come into his performances which is a fair enough comment, and some think hes doing a grand job as is, lets just wait and see .

Franck is God
10-04-2011, 08:30 AM

Agree with this 100%, the fact that he should have gone off yesterday after being injured yet stayed on the pitch as there were no subs left and still never shirked anything.

I think that Calderwood is still trying to work out his best formation and combinationsand also work out if he can use two strikers and have Miller and Thornhill play alongside each other.

CC was also really unlucky when he put Nish & Spoony on, we did really well for about 10 minutes and probably should have extended the lead and then a crazy period when he brought Murray on as the last sub and 2 minutes later Thornhill got injured and we pretty much finished the last 20 with ten men.

Golden Bear
10-04-2011, 08:56 AM
He was "man of the match" according to the guys on Hibs TV yesterday.

I feel sorry for Matt Thornhill as it looks like he's already been lined up as a target for some of the Club's more critical fans.

HibbyKeith
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Yes it was.

This.

He played well yesterday, hassled dons players on the ball, set up sodjie's goal and then got injured late on after all subs were used hence moving him up front where he tied up a defender, yet there were still folk shouting at him to effin run..seems he may be other folks scape goat when the footballing genius nish ain't playing.

Baldy Foghorn
10-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Thornhill is a no nonsense midfielder who I like..... Some guys have moaned about McBride, Rankin, Cregg etc etc..... Thornhill is a tackler and a spoiler IMO and is a decent player to have.....

Baldy Foghorn
10-04-2011, 10:21 AM
This.

He played well yesterday, hassled dons players on the ball, set up sodjie's goal and then got injured late on after all subs were used hence moving him up front where he tied up a defender, yet there were still folk shouting at him to effin run..seems he may be other folks scape goat when the footballing genius nish ain't playing.

Exactly. By the wat that Nish song was clearly a piss take and totally cringeworthy:rolleyes:

Albion Hibs
10-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I think it is far to early to judge Thornhill, that includes both saying he is rubbish or he is decent. For me he has shown neither yet. He has done nothing to make me think he is a good player / going to be one, but equally he has done nothing that would make me think that he wont be a good player.

In terms of whether he has been CC's best signing, I would definantly suggest he is not that. Despite the fact I have criticised Sodje I think his goals and the role he has played since he has come in has made a far bigger difference than any other January signing.

deek1875
10-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Thornhill is a no nonsense midfielder who I like..... Some guys have moaned about McBride, Rankin, Cregg etc etc..... Thornhill is a tackler and a spoiler IMO and is a decent player to have.....

go go go mr B

Danderhall Hibs
10-04-2011, 02:48 PM
I think he looks decent. When he's up to full speed I think he'll be a definite 1st pick.

I like the way he presses and tackles the opposition really far up the park - when he wins the ball he's in a position to shoot or play one of the strikers in.

I hope he's not the next scapegoat although I can fell folk lining him up. Maybe CC should keep a hold of Rankin or Nish just to keep the heat off him?

HibbyKeith
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Exactly. By the wat that Nish song was clearly a piss take and totally cringeworthy:rolleyes:

Agreed!

--------
10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
He was "man of the match" according to the guys on Hibs TV yesterday.

I feel sorry for Matt Thornhill as it looks like he's already been lined up as a target for some of the Club's more critical fans.

You mean the torn-faced moanin gits?

He looks a more than useful player to me. He took a knock late on which slowed him down but up to then he worked hard, laid on the goal, got in some very useful tackles and generally impressed.

jax67
10-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Think he is decent but lets give him time to settle. One thing for sure he is no De Graffe

:confused:ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED TO HEAR THAT THORNHILL AND DEGRAF BEING MENTIONED
AS A LIKENESS. THORNHILL WILL PROVE TO BE CC'S BEST SIGNING SO FAR. HE IS THE BEST MIDFIELDER SINCE BOOZY AT MAKING A CHALLENGE AND RETAINING POSSESSION, HE COVERS EVERY BLADE OF GRASS AND THE NEXT TIME HE PLAYS WATCH FOR HIM PICKING UP EVERY LOOSE BALL. THORNHILLS A PLAYER WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE, ONCE HE SETTLES AND GETS A PRE SEASON BEHIND HIM, HE'LL BE THE MAINSTAY OF THE HIBS MIDFIELD, AS YOU SAY MATE.:agree:

jax67
10-04-2011, 09:39 PM
I think he looks decent. When he's up to full speed I think he'll be a definite 1st pick.

I like the way he presses and tackles the opposition really far up the park - when he wins the ball he's in a position to shoot or play one of the strikers in.

I hope he's not the next scapegoat although I can fell folk lining him up. Maybe CC should keep a hold of Rankin or Nish just to keep the heat off him?

When he wins the ball he's in a position to shoot or play one of the strikers in, because he retains possession after the challenge, a skill that eludes many SPL midfielders:agree:

The Falcon
10-04-2011, 11:09 PM
I hope the guy is a huge success at Hibs , and out of the games Ive watched him play hes got a bit to go IMO
Matty said injuries , and new to the SPL must come into his performances which is a fair enough comment, and some think hes doing a grand job as is, lets just wait and see .

Well look on the bright side, it will give you something to moan about.

NAE NOOKIE
11-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Seen enough of this guy to be fairly confident that after a good pre season and the chance to get fully fit ( which I understand hes not ) he will do a good job for us.

Same goes for the other new signings. Hope we can hold on to Towell, havnt seen a Hibs player with such a long throw since Eric Schaedler, God rest him.

Stevie Reid
11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
I think it's very significant that not only was he CC's first signing, but also that he signed him even when he was injured - he clearly wanted him badly.

Like many others, I believe we will see the best of him next season - he has looked impressive at times and looks like the kind of player that the opposition won't like playing against, which has to be considered an improvement for us.

Aldo
11-04-2011, 09:42 AM
The problem we have is that he is the teams unsung hero...basically doing the work others dont do. Running, covering, brearking up play and from his pass yesterday creating for others. From wot I have seen and read this guy has a future.

Wont be a scapegoat and will prove those doubters wrong IMHO.

FFS give the boy a chance

Danderhall Hibs
11-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Thornhill's gonna be a big player for us. Unfussy and gets himself noticed. I like him

What do you mean by that?

--------
11-04-2011, 12:09 PM

Wondered when Hammy would be mentioned. :rolleyes:

De Graaf, Kerr and Wiss did nothing for the team - masters of invisible work the three of them. The first is IMO past it, the second never was worth signing, and the third was grossly over-rated and not up to the job. Wilkins was past it and not interested. Bracketing Matt Thornhill and Brian Hamilton in with that mob is utter rubbish.

Hamilton worked his socks off for the team and never received the appreciation that he was due. When he was injured or suspended, we missed him badly. And before anyone makes any snide comments about him being the Invisible Man, if you actually opened your eyes and looked, you'd see very quickly what he was doing - closing opponents down, breaking up their play, winning the ball, receiving the ball from his own defenders, linking with the other midfielders and supporting his forwards.

I clearly remember a Rangers game when Laudrup (who was a genuinely top-class player) got the ball in the Rangers 'D' and started a run; Hamilton closed him down, turned him out towards the touchline, and harried him all the way to the corner down in front of the old Main Stand. All the way there Laudrup kept trying to turn, but every time he did Hamilton forced him wider. I was in the Shed, sitting in front of a Foghorn Leghorn who was bellowing at Hamilton to tackle him (with various colourful but unimaginative expletives added in). Nothing would have pleased Laudrup more than for Hamilton to tackle him - he might have got away from him then. As it was, the Rangers attack fizzled out in a throw-in to Hibs, from which we went down the slope and very nearly scored.

Brian Hamilton was a hard-working, intelligent midfield player who got far too much entirely undeserved abuse from the ignorant element among the ER faithful in his day. "Keech" he most certainly was not.

Writing off MT as "keech" when he's played as few games for us as he has is absurd and totally unfair. I'm sure we'll see the benefit of his presence in the side next season - I saw it on the BBC Alba telecast on Saturday evening.

Dinkydoo
11-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Lacking match fitness imo.

Hopefully after the summer we'll see the best out of him.

Saying that, he's never a De Graaf.

Stevie Reid
11-04-2011, 12:24 PM

De Graaf, Kerr and Wiss did nothing for the team - masters of invisible work the three of them. The first is IMO past it, the second never was worth signing, and the third was grossly over-rated and not up to the job. Wilkins was past it and not interested. Bracketing Matt Thornhill and Brian Hamilton in with that mob is utter rubbish.

Hamilton worked his socks off for the team and never received the appreciation that he was due. When he was injured or suspended, we missed him badly. And before anyone makes any snide comments about him being the Invisible Man, if you actually opened your eyes and looked, you'd see very quickly what he was doing - closing opponents down, breaking up their play, winning the ball, receiving the ball from his own defenders, linking with the other midfielders and supporting his forwards.

I clearly remember a Rangers game when Laudrup (who was a genuinely top-class player) got the ball in the Rangers 'D' and started a run; Hamilton closed him down, turned him out towards the touchline, and harried him all the way to the corner down in front of the old Main Stand. All the way there Laudrup kept trying to turn, but every time he did Hamilton forced him wider. I was in the Shed, sitting in front of a Foghorn Leghorn who was bellowing at Hamilton to tackle him (with various colourful but unimaginative expletives added in). Nothing would have pleased Laudrup more than for Hamilton to tackle him - he might have got away from him then. As it was, the Rangers attack fizzled out in a throw-in to Hibs, from which we went down the slope and very nearly scored.

Brian Hamilton was a hard-working, intelligent midfield player who got far too much entirely undeserved abuse from the ignorant element among the ER faithful in his day. "Keech" he most certainly was not.

Writing off MT as "keech" when he's played as few games for us as he has is absurd and totally unfair. I'm sure we'll see the benefit of his presence in the side next season - I saw it on the BBC Alba telecast on Saturday evening.

:top marks

Golden Bear
11-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Hammy was a great enigma - you either appreciated him for his work ethic and the energy he brought to the team or else you thought he was a dumpling because he gave the ball away so often. ( I thought he was a brilliant player myself)

And then of course we had ------------ Ally Mcleod -------what a player but despised by so many probably because they were jealous of his beer belly.

:wink:

--------
11-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Hammy was a great enigma - you either appreciated him for his work ethic and the energy he brought to the team or else you thought he was a dumpling because he gave the ball away so often. ( I thought he was a brilliant player myself)

And then of course we had ------------ Ally Mcleod -------what a player but despised by so many probably because they were jealous of his beer belly.

Hmm. What would we make of Ally Mcleod?

The only player I ever saw in a Hibs shirt who could make Willie Hamilton look busy...

But he had a lovely touch.

Hibs90
11-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Past couple of games I thought he looked alright. Once he reaches peak fitness he should be decent.

Love the Green
11-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Guys we are all entitled to our opinions but why do so many people mention FITNESS FFS he trains every day except wednesdays and sundays has been with us for 3 months..when do we actually expect him to be fit?
How can he still be unfit, has he not been a "sportsman" for all of hi adult life?
Just think he does not have it as I mentioned to my mates first night I saw him..a poor man's Liam Miller.

"keep the faith"

sparkiehibs
11-04-2011, 01:46 PM
I have been really impressed with Thornhill so far this season

I believe it is the fight and determination from the 3 new guys in the middle which has turned us around.

We are still a long way from a finished article as a team and I feel all of these players still have plenty to give but we have moved in the correct direction

I will admit that earlier on this season, i had serious thoughts about relegation this season but now i feel that we will be strong next season after we get rid of a few players and bring some more in such as a new striker, a couple of wingers and a centre half.

Diclonius
11-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Thornhill hasn't been great so far from what i've seen of him but he's shown flashes of what he can do - lets see him whens he's fully fit. When Michael O'Neill started playing for Hibs he was poor but ended up being class. On the other hand Brian Kerr started off brilliantly and then.......

E.g. for two minutes. :greengrin

Golden Bear
11-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Guys we are all entitled to our opinions but why do so many people mention FITNESS FFS he trains every day except wednesdays and sundays has been with us for 3 months..when do we actually expect him to be fit?
How can he still be unfit, has he not been a "sportsman" for all of hi adult life?
Just think he does not have it as I mentioned to my mates first night I saw him..a poor man's Liam Miller.

"keep the faith"

Ah well now - there is being physically fit then there is being match fit. Two different things and Thornhill may be lacking a bit in both because he was injured earlier in the season.

I still think he'll be a cracking player next season though.

--------
11-04-2011, 01:53 PM

"keep the faith"

I don't think he's unfit - he took a knock late on which slowed him down a bit and CC moved him up front to keep a defender busy.

He's played, what, 5 games? Not consecutively, which probably means he's still settling into the role CC wants him to play.

Fair enough, the jury may still be out on him, but some seem to be lining him up as Scapegoat of the Year already.

Point of information, btw - football fans usually give the opposition abuse while supporting their own players. I'm not making a personal point against you, but too many of our fans seem to want to drag their own players down - it's as if they have to have someone in the side to spit their venom at regardless of circumstances.

JimBHibees
11-04-2011, 02:06 PM
IMO there is enough to see in what MT does to be thinking that once he has a decent pre-season he will be a decent player for Hibs. Thought he did well enough in the derby last week and his lay off for Deek's sclaff in the last minute was excellent.

LaMotta
11-04-2011, 02:26 PM
E.g. for two minutes. :greengrin

aye but what a two minutes is was:thumbsup:

--------
11-04-2011, 06:10 PM

He's gone. I didn't yell abuse at him when he was playing for us, whatever my opinion of him as a player.

LeithBoozy
11-04-2011, 07:17 PM
It said a lot for the guy staying on when he was hurt, it takes a lot of resolve to play through the pain barrier. So well done Matt, song moment, when the going gets rough, the rough get going. Anyway I like the look of him, I think he has a good fitba brain on him. :agree:

mentalhibee
11-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Looks a good player to me, always looking for the ball, doesn't hide. He's pretty good at finding space in between the opposition midfield and defence, also presses the ball well. I reckon he'll be a good player for us.

Baldy Foghorn
12-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Looks a good player to me, always looking for the ball, doesn't hide. He's pretty good at finding space in between the opposition midfield and defence, also presses the ball well. I reckon he'll be a good player for us.

:agree::agree:

Seems like the opening poster is in the minority......

H18sry
12-04-2011, 03:03 PM
:agree::agree:

Seems like the opening poster is in the minority......

Aye like you are in the minority about your anti Scotland jibes and the fact that Nish is a player, grow up FFS sly digs is that your level?

Time will tell re Thornhill as I said I hope to be proved wrong but at the moment I dont seem to see it.

Baldy Foghorn
12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Aye like you are in the minority about your anti Scotland jibes and the fact that Nish is a player, grow up FFS sly digs is that your level?

Time will tell re Thornhill as I said I hope to be proved wrong but at the moment I dont seem to see it.

What are you banging on about? No sly dig, nearly every post on this thread is backing MT, so I merely stated you where in the minority ..... You are the one for sly digs, I am a bit more open when I don't agree.....

H18sry
12-04-2011, 03:12 PM
What are you banging on about? No sly dig, nearly every post on this thread is backing MT, so I merely stated you where in the minority ..... You are the one for sly digs, I am a bit more open when I don't agree.....

So every post that goes against the OP or when somebody else has an opinion that is in the minority you make a point, of pointing it out do you? No didn't think so,so why start now?

soupy
12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Now now children. :)

Baldy Foghorn
12-04-2011, 03:16 PM
So every post that goes against the OP or when somebody else has an opinion that is in the minority you make a point, of pointing it out do you? No didn't think so,so why start now?

Whatever, and you tell me to grow up.....Laughable..... Out of all the Sodje posts the other day you highlighted mine..... I am not going for tit for tat guff, so I will ignore your posts in future.............

H18sry
12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Whatever, and you tell me to grow up.....Laughable..... Out of all the Sodje posts the other day you highlighted mine..... I am not going for tit for tat guff, so I will ignore your posts in future.............

Hallelujah, but I wont lose any sleep over it :yawn:

Baldy Foghorn
12-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Hallelujah, but I wont lose any sleep over it :yawn:

Me either, out of your 7000 posts, probably a tenth are Hibs related with the rest Scotland related, or NHC......You had the audacity to slate me for being on Hibs net all the time, and you now have a healthy post count....Hypocrisy at its best.......

H18sry
12-04-2011, 04:26 PM

Me either, out of your 7000 posts, probably a tenth are Hibs related with the rest Scotland related, or NHC......You had the audacity to slate me for being on Hibs net all the time, and you now have a healthy post count....Hypocrisy at its best.......

Can't help your self can you :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

frazeHFC
12-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Totally surprised when i saw this thread. :confused:

I really like him. He gets stuck in and has some nice touches and passes. I think when he has a full pre-season under his belt he will be a great player.

sunshine1875
13-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Totally surprised when i saw this thread. :confused:

I really like him. He gets stuck in and has some nice touches and passes. I think when he has a full pre-season under his belt he will be a great player.

This forum is all about opinions - one mans donkey is another mans stallion!

Thornhill is a good player and has improved our team, so lets support him rather than knock him.

Yet, some people seem to prefer knocking our players rather than supporting him.

On another topic, does H18sry talk as much 'Colin Nish' than that bloke Shaun Lawson used to spout? Only said that as a joke, I actually like H18sry's posts!

H18sry
14-04-2011, 10:31 AM

This forum is all about opinions - one mans donkey is another mans stallion!

Thornhill is a good player and has improved our team, so lets support him rather than knock him.

Yet, some people seem to prefer knocking our players rather than supporting him.

On another topic, does H18sry talk as much 'Colin Nish' than that bloke Shaun Lawson used to spout? Only said that as a joke, I actually like H18sry's posts!
:greengrin :na na:

Phil MaGlass
14-04-2011, 12:19 PM

very good post, slated at every turn for doing a good job.
If only he had scored that fre kick in the cup final and got on the score sheet. Thought he was an intelligent player, if only we had more like him in the team the last two seasons we may not have gotten into the mess we did, then again :hmmm:

Speedway
14-04-2011, 12:28 PM
If Thornhill is second to every 50/50 ball, he's like De Graaf.

If Thornhill sees a pass that his team mates don't, he's like De Graaf.

If Thornhill is slower to respond than Wayne Rooney on University Challenge, then he's like De Graaf.

If Thornhill passes the ball within two touches of receiving it because he's already been closed down, he's like De Graaf.

Now, on that basis, is Thornhill like De Graaf?

Baldy Foghorn
14-04-2011, 01:47 PM
If Thornhill is second to every 50/50 ball, he's like De Graaf.

If Thornhill sees a pass that his team mates don't, he's like De Graaf.

If Thornhill is slower to respond than Wayne Rooney on University Challenge, then he's like De Graaf.

If Thornhill passes the ball within two touches of receiving it because he's already been closed down, he's like De Graaf.

Now, on that basis, is Thornhill like De Graaf?

Nope not even close

Hibs_SW
14-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Thornhill is now out for the rest of the season with knock that he got at weekend! Worse than originally thought and is a knee injury hopefully will be back to full fitness for the start of next season so he can show his full ability for hibs and get some petty folk of his back. :)

Hibiza
14-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Yogi described de graff as a "peach of a signing". Hope thornhill more of an avacado

sunshine1875
14-04-2011, 03:53 PM
:greengrin :na na:

:aok:

frazeHFC
14-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Thornhill is out for the rest of the season. :rolleyes:

H18sry
15-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Still not convinced, he was invisible again yesterday :agree:

Bostonhibby
15-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Hope I am wrong as he shows some promise but watching it yesterday I actually wondered if he was filling the Brian Kerr role.

Golden Bear
15-08-2011, 05:24 PM
I think Matt would be good player in a good team but he'll continue to struggle with us.

marinello59
15-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Still not convinced, he was invisible again yesterday :agree:

Why the need to dig this thread up again? Here we go, the campaign to scapegoat yet another player gets going. Maybe we just get the team we deserve.

Golden Bear
15-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Why the need to dig this thread up again? Here we go, the campaign to scapegoat yet another player gets going. Maybe we just get the team we deserve.

No Rankin or Nish this season so someone has got to take their place I'm afraid.

But for whatever reason I felt the knives were getting prepared for Matt Thornhill last season never mind this one.

PeterboroHibee
15-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Thought Thornhill looked really good in all the preseason games I saw him in, yet the seasons started and he can barely get a touch of the ball. Maybe a more physical presence in there with Palsson and Osbourne would help him but does seem to be struggling.

tamig
15-08-2011, 06:03 PM
There were barely any players who could claim pass marks yesterday. Matt Thornhill has looked excellent in pre-season and to single the lad out by dredging up this pile of pish after an all round poor team performance yesterday is bang out of order imo.

H18sry
15-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Why the need to dig this thread up again? Here we go, the campaign to scapegoat yet another player gets going. Maybe we just get the team we deserve. Sorry I was unaware the we were not allowed to bring back posts with opinions that differ from the masses :rolleyes:

Thought Thornhill looked really good in all the preseason games I saw him in, yet the seasons started and he can barely get a touch of the ball. Maybe a more physical presence in there with Palsson and Osbourne would help him but does seem to be struggling.

There were barely any players who could claim pass marks yesterday. Matt Thornhill has looked excellent in pre-season and to single the lad out by dredging up this pile of pish after an all round poor team performance yesterday is bang out of order imo.

It must be really hard not to look good against quality opposition like Berwick,East Fife,Livingstone and the likes in pre-season games :coolhib:

marinello59
15-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Sorry I was unaware the we were not allowed to bring back posts with opinions that differ from the masses :rolleyes:

:

Has anybody said you can't? I didn't have you down as the over sensitive type :greengrin

H18sry
15-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Has anybody said you can't? I didn't have you down as the over sensitive type :greengrin

Just proving the point that I made last season :wink: Not trying to make him a scape goat tho :na na:

DaveF
15-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Given the way we played at the weekend, we won't be short of scapegoats so thornhill need'nt worry about this thread coming back to the fore :greengrin

However, he seems to be a bit of a passenger and i have yet to see anything in him which makes me think there is a decent player waiting to burst out. Be glad to be proved wrong though.

Walter
15-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Thornhill is a quality Midfielder, end of. De Graaf also has talent.

The problem is there seems to be people on here who don't seem to realise it takes a midfield 4, or 5, to allow a midfielder to shine. It also takes a defence capable of retaining the ball and giving it to the midfield. The reason players seem invisible is because they do not run around like a headless chicken (im sure thats what most of the posters on here believe a midfielder should be doing), they are in space looking for the pass which is never going to come because the people who should be digging the ball out are not doing so.

GRRRRRRRRR

MWHIBBIES
15-08-2011, 08:14 PM

The problem is there seems to be people on here who don't seem to realise it takes a midfield 4, or 5, to allow a midfielder to shine. It also takes a defence capable of retaining the ball and giving it to the midfield. The reason players seem invisible is because they do not run around like a headless chicken (im sure thats what most of the posters on here believe a midfielder should be doing), they are in space looking for the pass which is never going to come because the people who should be digging the ball out are not doing so.

GRRRRRRRRR:top marks

Wotherspiniesta
15-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm begging someone to start a thread ripping the pish out of Agogo. Surely he's had long enough to impress now?

Irish_Steve
15-08-2011, 09:41 PM
Go Agogo, go

patlowe
16-08-2011, 06:55 AM

GRRRRRRRRR

While I agree with you sentiments to a point, I really feel Thornhill needs to start imposing himself on games more. The ability is there but the same could be said of hundreds of players who never made the most of their talent. Take the game by the scruff of the neck Matt and show us what you're made of.

bawheid
16-08-2011, 07:35 AM
I'm begging someone to start a thread ripping the pish out of Agogo. Surely he's had long enough to impress now?

Yep, Airey too. I mean, what impact has he made? Has he improved us at all?? It doesn't look like it.

Disgrace, etc.

JimBHibees
16-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Just proving the point that I made last season :wink: Not trying to make him a scape goat tho :na na:

Come back at Xmas when the boy has actually had a chance to prove what he is made of not after one awful team performance.

JimBHibees
16-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Yep, Airey too. I mean, what impact has he made? Has he improved us at all?? It doesn't look like it.

Disgrace, etc.

Yep something about his Newcastle team photo just didnt seem right, you could tell from that alone he will never be Hibs class, no need at all to see him play. Get him on the train this morning and get him back down the road and save the bother. :greengrin

DaveF
16-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Disgrace, etc.

What's wrong - Is it so bad to post something that doesn't praise a player?

I don't think Thornhill has showed anything (yet) which make me think he'll be an asset. I really hope he comes good, but these type of sarcastic replies do **** all for this messageboard.

JimBHibees
16-08-2011, 09:18 AM
While I agree with you sentiments to a point, I really feel Thornhill needs to start imposing himself on games more. The ability is there but the same could be said of hundreds of players who never made the most of their talent. Take the game by the scruff of the neck Matt and show us what you're made of.

Havent seen enough of him to say whether he is quality or not however thought he was very good in the 2-2 derby and have no doubt we will see more of him when Ozzy and possibly VP are back in midfield.

bawheid
16-08-2011, 09:40 AM
What's wrong - Is it so bad to post something that doesn't praise a player?

I don't think Thornhill has showed anything (yet) which make me think he'll be an asset. I really hope he comes good, but these type of sarcastic replies do **** all for this messageboard.

Constructive criticism can be useful. Rarely do you see any of that on here though. Far easier to write the player off completely when he's hardly started his career at the club.

What does "**** all for this messageboard" is the constant need for something to go wrong and the overwhelming desire to always have a scape goat. Add in the "me me me, I want it all and I want it now" attitude which results in some writing off our season after three games and what you end up with is a support that probably doesn't deserve what it thinks it's entitled to.

Dashing Bob S
16-08-2011, 09:50 AM
I think Matt would be good player in a good team but he'll continue to struggle with us.

We seem to specialize in that breed. It kind of begs the question though: why are they not in a good team?

It seems we've bought yet another glass-legged player. Thornhill's career pre-Hibs was already defined largely by injury and I expect him to see out the bulk of his Hibs contract vying with Paul Hart for prime slot on the treatment table.

khib70
16-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Constructive criticism can be useful. Rarely do you see any of that on here though. Far easier to write the player off completely when he's hardly started his career at the club.

What does "**** all for this messageboard" is the constant need for something to go wrong and the overwhelming desire to always have a scape goat. Add in the "me me me, I want it all and I want it now" attitude which results in some writing off our season after three games and what you end up with is a support that probably doesn't deserve what it thinks it's entitled to.
:top marks

At last - a voice of reason:hibees

DaveF
16-08-2011, 10:49 AM

But I'm not writing him off after 3 games.

I'm simply saying that I've seen nothing from him yet (tail end of last season and this - note, I know he was injured) to make me think he'll be what we want \ hope him to be.

Yet you seem to group my post in amongst all the nay sayers and doom mongers - which is why I said your petty reply does **** all for the messageboard in terms of debate.

It's now got to the point where you can't criticise anyone \ anything as people immediately class you as a 'bedwetter'.

bawheid
16-08-2011, 11:04 AM
But I'm not writing him off after 3 games.

I didn't say you were. :confused:

Yet you seem to group my post in amongst all the nay sayers and doom mongers

Where have I done this? I didn't comment on your post at all. :confused:

The OP decided to dredge up his own post from yonks ago to have a go at a guy who's had an excellent pre-season and is three games into his first full season for the club. It's typical of the lack of time given to anyone at Easter Road over the past 4 years, be they managers or players.

If they're not an instant success, they're a definite failure.

DaveF
16-08-2011, 11:20 AM
I didn't say you were. :confused:

Where have I done this? I didn't comment on your post at all. :confused:

The OP decided to dredge up his own post from yonks ago to have a go at a guy who's had an excellent pre-season and is three games into his first full season for the club. It's typical of the lack of time given to anyone at Easter Road over the past 4 years, be they managers or players.

If they're not an instant success, they're a definite failure.

No you didn't but you joined in with the first sarcastic reply - so it's all the same to me. I could have (and should have) quoted the other guy too.

What's the big dealabout bringing a topic back? I think the OP, at this point in time is correct. Thornhill should have been imposing himself in the midfield. OK, it's 3 games into the season and only an idiot would write him off as a dud, but there is little doubt his impact has been minimal to date and is therefore, worthy of debate.

bawheid
16-08-2011, 11:23 AM
No you didn't but you joined in with the first sarcastic reply - so it's all the same to me. I could have (and should have) quoted the other guy too.

What? There are sarcastic replies to this thread dating back to April 2011!!

Sean1875
16-08-2011, 12:03 PM
never realised this was an old thread, started reading posts about Thornhill being out for the rest of the season... safe to say i was exremely relieved when I saw the posts about digging up an old thread!:doh::dizzy:

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Are we not allowed to remark on last seasons results with Calderwood, When it was used as a huge stick to smack Hughes over the head with if my memory serves me right?

bawheid
16-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Are we not allowed to remark on last seasons results with Calderwood, When it was used as a huge stick to smack Hughes over the head with if my memory serves me right?

I sung from the same hymn sheet as you with regards to John Hughes, and I still do.

Do you not see the irony in what you're posting?

I'm for giving a manager time to sort out the club from top to bottom. I'd have given Mixu more time and I'd have given Hughes more time, just like I'm advocating giving Calderwood more time.

DaveF
16-08-2011, 12:12 PM
What? There are sarcastic replies to this thread dating back to April 2011!!

You are not daft and I shouldn't have to spell it out to you, but I suppose I will - just to clear it up.

Wotherspoonista posted the initial reply last night, you backed him up.

It's getting beyond boring though, so I'll leave you be.

blackpoolhibs
16-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I sung from the same hymn sheet as you with regards to John Hughes, and I still do.

Do you not see the irony in what you're posting?

I'm for giving a manager time to sort out the club from top to bottom. I'd have given Mixu more time and I'd have given Hughes more time, just like I'm advocating giving Calderwood more time.

I wanted Hughes out near the end, his time had run its course. Calderwoods results are no better, in fact could be worse? You can want him to stay if you like, i want him gone.

bawheid
16-08-2011, 12:25 PM
It's getting beyond boring though, so I'll leave you be.

:aok:

Try facebook if you're bored. :greengrin

bawheid
16-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I wanted Hughes out near the end, his time had run its course. Calderwoods results are no better, in fact could be worse? You can want him to stay if you like, i want him gone.

Really? Well, why didn't you say???

:dizzy: