PDA

View Full Version : First team squad of 20

HibeeSince85
08-04-2011, 08:29 PM
On the Riordan thread there was a link to an interview about the contract, in it Calderwood says ideal size of the first team squad is 20, who you reckon the 20 are?

Brown and Divis are the only 2 keepers with length on their contracts and for a squad of 20 it'll be 3 keepers max so I think it's those to and a new guy,

The back needs a bit of work to it, Hart should be punted, Hanlon, Booth there of course Towell if he can be signed I'd let Dickoh go and let CC go out and get a good centre back in - he'll know what he's looking for. Stephens and Murray providing cover.

Midfield looks more promising but we need a couple of decent pacey direct wingers, Miller needs signed up, Scott and Palsson with Thornhill will have a full pre season and we can see what they're about, Galbraith and Spoony, as much as Lewis is decent and all the best to him we could use his wages. Go get something different.

We need strikers, Vaz Te I want to see signed, Deeko of course if we can but no breaking the bank from Hibs the rest can go, Sodje out of contract? if not then have him around, if he is only a 1 year deal if we can't secure someone better.

My 20:
Brown, Divis, Booth, Towell*, Hanlon, Murray, Stephens, Miller, Scott, Palsson, Thornhill, Wotherspoon, Galbraith, Vaz Te, Riordan, Sodje*

That's 16, Towell if he can be signed up is there and Sodje is 50/50

Keeper, Solid CH, Winger/s and a striker that can combine being a presence up the park with bagging a few goals(aye they do exist)

Thoughts?

Franck is God
08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
It will be a first team squad of 20 which can be supplemented from the under 19s if needed, the likes of Taggart, Horner & Crawford might be pushing for a chance.

Keepers - Brown, Divis

Defenders - Hart, Hanlon, Stephens, Booth, Dickoh?, Towell?, New CH?

Midfield - Palsson, Thornhill, Scott, Wotherspoon, Galbraith, Miller?, Stevenson?

Forwards - Sodje, Vaz Te?, Riordan? Another striker

scoopyboy
08-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Three players with a year left on their contracts (Hart, De Graaf and Sodje) I would try and get shot of.

I would play Divis and Towell in a few games in the last seven and make the call after that. I'm not as sold on Towell as some are on here.

I would want a first choice goalie, a right back, a centre half, a fast right sided winger and a striker.

Sir David Gray
08-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Brown
Divis

Hanlon
Booth
Murray
Hart
Stephens

Galbraith
Wotherspoon
Scott
Thornhill
Palsson
de Graaf

Sodje

That's 14 and is all the players who have a contract for next season. I can't see Hibs paying any of those players off this summer so we're stuck with the likes of Hart and de Graaf for now.

I think Miller may end up signing a new contract so that would be 15 but I can see Riordan moving on. I'd also like to see Vaz Te staying on next season. I don't see us being able to sign Towell on a permanent contract.

That would mean around 4 or 5 new signings in the summer. If Riordan does go, then we need around two or three strikers, I'd also like to see a wide player or two coming in as well. We need a right back and one more goalkeeper to compete with Brown and Divis, if Stack and Smith both go.

Earl of Currie
09-04-2011, 07:21 AM
I thnk a 20 man 1st team squad is the best way to go for Hibs. I do not even think that over the next 12 months the cull will end just with the players out of contract this summer, the players like de Graaf and Hart will be punted at the first (cheapest) opportunity.
Going forward 20 players should theoretically mean that wages can be spent on quality not quantity. This means either bringing in a better quality of player or improving ages on the players you want to hold onto.
It also means that there are better opportunities for youth players to break through. Which in turn makes it even more attractive for yong players wanting to break through seeing Hibs as a club to want to play for.
By additionally , improving the scouting network should see more young players ( 16 to 19 year olds) coming into the club, as they are both cheap to sign (always popular with Rod) and gives the club a few years to develop/play for the U-19's/send out loan before bringing them through to the first team.

GloryGlory
09-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I recognise the need for all clubs, not just Hibs, to save money, but with a squad of 20 all we need is two or three injuries and a couple of suspensions and we would be struggling to put out a team and full bench without risking young players from the U19s who maybe aren't ready. I would think 23/24 is a more realistic number, if we want to keep the team competitive throughout the season.

CC is also quoted as saying that a lot of players would have to look at one year contracts, so we could be losing another raft of players at the end of 2011-12 as well.

R'Albin
09-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I recognise the need for all clubs, not just Hibs, to save money, but with a squad of 20 all we need is two or three injuries and a couple of suspensions and we would be struggling to put out a team and full bench without risking young players from the U19s who maybe aren't ready. I would think 23/24 is a more realistic number, if we want to keep the team competitive throughout the season.

CC is also quoted as saying that a lot of players would have to look at one year contracts, so we could be losing another raft of players at the end of 2011-12 as well.

Yeah, don't like the idea of such a small squad, and where was he quoted saying this ?

AlbertK86
09-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Only ones from current squad I would keep are

Divis
Brown

Hanlon
Stephens
Booth
Murray

Palsson
Miller
Scott
Thornhill
Wotherspoon
Galbraith

Riordan
Vaz Te

Towell - not 100% on his defending but probably take him if can get him on a free and potentially play him on right midfield on occasions

Definately need new

1. Experienced BIG centre half -to assist and develop Hanlon as him ad Dickoh prone to ball watching. Stephens to be brought on and developed gradually.

2. Experienced big right back - need more big physical presence in defence as feel defence still lightweight with Booth and Hanlon but they should both be first picks so need to balance their skills with some stature.
3. Winger/playmaker
4. Striker with pace
5. Striker with physical threat and presence ...that can score goals

I would also have the likes of Scott Smith, Horner and possibly Taggart in the squad and blood them gradually

Billy Whizz
09-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Anyone who follows the 19's think that anyone is likely to make a step up next season? I think Crawford got a one year deal. Haven't seen much of him apart from the mini derby 2 weeks ago?

--------
09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I really hope CC finds some way of punting Hart and De Graaf. Neither of them have shown anything this season - two very good reasons why Hughes had to go. Signed, boosted as good signings, totally and utterly disappointing.

I'd be surprised if CC was counting players who have yet to break into the first team squad as being in the 20 - I would think he means 20 players who can be called on as first-teamers without the caveat of "it's time he was given a bit of experience ion the big team".

Brown and Divis, certainly, possibly Graham Stack if the surgery's successful, possibly another experienced keeper is Stack moves on.

Stephens, Hanlon, Booth, and Dickoh without question, plus an new RB (probably not Towell) and at least two other signings as good or better to strengthen that area of the team.

Wotherspoon, Thornhill, Scott, Palsson, Galbraith, hopefully Miller, probably Lewis Stevenson, possibly Sean Welsh, plus hopefully Vaz Te who's only signed till the summer so far. If Miller, Stevenson, Welsh and Vaz Te don't stay on, we need to replace them - all of them, I'd say - with as good or better.

I'd see Sodje staying. I'd like Deek to stay - if he can get his focus back; he's been off the boil for too long, but on form he's a class player. Kurtis Byrne may have missed his chance, I'm afraid. Duffy, Nish and Trakys - Get rid of them, IMO. So CC needs to do a fair bit of work on the attacking edge of the team.

So that's Brown and Divis (possibly Stack); Stephens, Hanlon and Booth (possibly Dickoh); Wotherspoon, Thornhill, Scott, Palsson, Galbraith, (possibly Miller, Vaz Te, and Stevenson, with Welsh a long shot); and Sodje and Deek (possibly Byrne as another long shot), plus one or two of the youngster who might break through.

So twelve I'd probably keep, five I'd try to re-sign, some kids, and a lot of hard thinking about Stack.

"Work in progress" is dead right and no mistake. :rolleyes:

:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa:cgwa
:cgwa

Petrie's Tache
09-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Anyone who follows the 19's think that anyone is likely to make a step up next season? I think Crawford got a one year deal. Haven't seen much of him apart from the mini derby 2 weeks ago?

Interesting to note no one had mentioned Welsh and Byrne.

Petrie's Tache
09-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Apart from doddie.

--------
09-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Apart from doddie.

Well, Sean's been injured all season but looked good enough a year ago to be considered for the first team. Kurtis seemed to have been sidelined by Hughes and hasn't worked his way back into contention.

And there must be other youngsters who could play a part next year, but I can't see CC relying on them as fully-fledged first-teamers.

When we start laying out who we have on our books and who we need, the situation looks a lot more complicated (and problematic) than I for one realised.

There's a LOT of work for CC and DA over the close season to get us in shape even to challenge for a top-4 place.