PDA

View Full Version : NHC Livi on the move?

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Looks like Livingstone could be going to get a new 6000 seater stadium plus all the extras http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13007258.stm
Anybody from Livi know were about the stadium is going to be, as it states a mile away from the current stadium :confused:

Allant1981
07-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Thats a bit strange, 1 mile from where the stadium is pretty built up no matter what way you go. Not sure if there is enough land out by bannantynes, cant see it being up towards the deans end. Not unless they knock down craigswood and built a sports centre into the stadium

jacomo
07-04-2011, 09:45 PM
They moved there in 1995 - which means the stadium has had a shelf life of 16 years before being sold to a supermarket?

What a waste of resources.

Biggie
07-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Tidy wee stadium as well.....anyone know if they sell out every week ?....all for them tooling up for promotion and bigger crowds, but it seems a bit strange to spend all that money if they haven't got a great support..

Jay
07-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I am stumped as to where it could be. Even if you take the mile quote with a pinch of salt I cant think of anywhere big enough in Livingston.

Gatecrasher
07-04-2011, 09:54 PM
we already have 2 morrison's a huge asda a lidl and a sainsburys so my guess is Tesco is moving in. i will guess the new stadium will be out by houston industrial estate

oh and its Livingston <- no E :wink:

Cowdenbeath look like they want a new ground as well

http://www.cowdenbeathfc.com/index.php?act=viewNews&id=663

Jay
07-04-2011, 09:56 PM
we already have 2 morrison's a huge asda a lidl and a sainsburys so my guess is Tesco is moving in. i will guess the new stadium will be out by houston industrial estate

Do you think there is enough land there? Maybe there is bits I dont know about mind. Tumble zone is shutting I heard :greengrin

2 Morrisons? Where's the other?

Removed
07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Do you think there is enough land there? Maybe there is bits I dont know about mind. Tumble zone is shutting I heard :greengrin

Near me, over from Bannatyne's there is loads of land and offices that have been empty for years. Just knock them down :dunno:

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Tidy wee stadium as well.....anyone know if they sell out every week ?....all for them tooling up for promotion and bigger crowds, but it seems a bit strange to spend all that money if they haven't got a great support..
I think they get about 1000 at home games?

Removed
07-04-2011, 09:59 PM

Up by livi north station

Gatecrasher
07-04-2011, 09:59 PM

maybe out by kirkton campus would be another shout, there is plenty of land out that way, though a bugger to get to without a car for out of towners

Almondvale centre and Carmondean both have Morrisons

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2011, 10:01 PM
They are probably getting a decent bung from Vlad to move out, so Heart of West Lothian can move in. :greengrin

Jay
07-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Near me, over from Bannatyne's there is loads of land and offices that have been empty for years. Just knock them down :dunno:

Yeah I suppose its pretty barren over there. You might be right. Seems a bit pointless, its just over the road. Build the supermarket there instead!

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Primark are opening in Livingston in 2012, and Morrisons are opening a new store in Bathgate very soon, plus Tesco & Sainsburys are planning new stores in Broxburn :wink:

Sylar
07-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Been a while since this story was hashed out all over again. Heard it all before and I sincerely have my doubts about its validity.

However, if it IS true, I'm guessing the BBC have their approximations wrong and it won't be "within a mile". It's likely it would either be out at Starlaw, up next to Craigswood or indeed, across from Bannatynes, where there's a lot of potential space.

It wouldn't be a bad move, truth be told - the stadium is only at 10k capacity based on the old SPL criteria, which was ludicrous (as recent attendances show). A move to a smaller stadium, whilst lowering rent costs and obtaining financial incentives from the prospective buyer (which I can only assume is Tesco) would be good for the club, whilst a smaller ground would ensure a better atmosphere and less sparsely populated stadia every other weekend.

Jay
07-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Primark are opening in Livingston in 2012, and Morrisons are opening a new store in Bathgate very soon, plus Tesco & Sainsburys are planning new stores in Broxburn :wink:

Aye but wheres the other Morrisons in Livi? Maybe Carmondean? Just guessing :greengrin

How the dickens it takes nearly 2 years to open a Primark is beyond me btw!

Removed
07-04-2011, 10:15 PM
Aye but wheres the other Morrisons in Livi? Maybe Carmondean? Just guessing :greengrin

Beside B&Q at the south end and Livi north station

Jay
07-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Beside B&Q at the south end and Livi north station

Ahhh! Never at Livi North.

Removed
07-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Ahhh! Never at Livi North.

2 mins walk from it :agree:

sixtwo
07-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Livi are a disgrace. They are corrupt and vile. They stole the league cup from us and suffered administration as a cosequence. They repeated their crimes and are crawling back into the top flight of scottish football. They should be killed off. Completely destroyed - like third lanark without the romance. A clydebank if you will.

West lothian fc would have more attraction. It would not be a re branded ferranti fc, meadowbank thistle or livi. A brand new west lothian fc would be more acceptable to me!

ps - i'm bevvied so i may change my mind in the morning:wink:

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Up by B&Q & PC World/Comet at the Retail Park South Almondvale Rd :wink:

Sodje_18
07-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Doubt it would be around deans and knightsridge, so possibly houston or maybe murie :wink:

Jamesie
07-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Livi are a disgrace. They are corrupt and vile. They stole the league cup from us and suffered administration as a cosequence. They repeated their crimes and are crawling back into the top flight of scottish football. They should be killed off. Completely destroyed - like third lanark without the romance. A clydebank if you will.

West lothian fc would have more attraction. It would not be a re branded ferranti fc, meadowbank thistle or livi. A brand new west lothian fc would be more acceptable to me!

Can't disagree with any of that. The night we punished them 7-0 less than two years later was great therapy.

Pete
07-04-2011, 10:57 PM

If anyone needs a new ground it's them. It has to be one of the wierdest and run down in Scotland and even a club their size deserves better.

It's amazing to find out what celebrities have a soft spot for certain clubs. I'd heard that one of Liam Gallaghers teams was the blue brazil but I still can't believe he took the time to support this cause and turn up at the supporters club.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueBrazilTV#p/u/4/MWBmHFgxg1k

LALthehibeeGAL
08-04-2011, 12:23 AM

QUOTE=Mrs. S;2775271]Aye but wheres the other Morrisons in Livi? Maybe Carmondean? Just guessing :greengrin

Jill are you on the windup? or on the wine? The original Morrisons is at Carmondean/livi north - used to be safeway and i still prefer it - the new one is at Almondvale next to B&Q - which of course you knew all along really!!!

my guess is somewhere daft for the stadium = not so easy to get to by public transport - cos they never consider the fans - probably somewhere in either houston ind est or kirkton -

more importantly

where is the Primark going to be?:greengrin

and

I hope it's a tesco it's about time Asda had a bit of competition hate that shop with a passion - Morrisons for me any day or even Sainsburys.

PS me is sad - talking about shops urgh!! what happened to me!

Lal:wink:

How the dickens it takes nearly 2 years to open a Primark is beyond me btw![/QUOTE]

The_Sauz
08-04-2011, 12:50 AM
QUOTE=Mrs. S;2775271]Aye but wheres the other Morrisons in Livi? Maybe Carmondean? Just guessing :greengrin

Jill are you on the windup? or on the wine? The original Morrisons is at Carmondean/livi north - used to be safeway and i still prefer it - the new one is at Almondvale next to B&Q - which of course you knew all along really!!!

my guess is somewhere daft for the stadium = not so easy to get to by public transport - cos they never consider the fans - probably somewhere in either houston ind est or kirkton -

more importantly

where is the Primark going to be?:greengrin

and

I hope it's a tesco it's about time Asda had a bit of competition hate that shop with a passion - Morrisons for me any day or even Sainsburys.

PS me is sad - talking about shops urgh!! what happened to me!

How the dickens it takes nearly 2 years to open a Primark is beyond me btw![/QUOTE]
Primark need to wait until Livi get a new ground before they build the store :greengrin, and it will not be Tesco's as they are planning a big new store over the canal from me :na na:

Sick Boy
08-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Slightly off topic but it always amazed me that Tesco never had a store in Livingston considering one of their biggest distribution depots is there.

Back on topic, it seems a bit strange for Livi to be considering a move after only 16 years at their current ground. They spent a fair bit of money getting it up to standard for the SPL so it would be a waste to knock it down after such a short shelf life.

Barney McGrew
08-04-2011, 05:18 AM
They spent a fair bit of money getting it up to standard for the SPL so it would be a waste to knock it down after such a short shelf life.

If by 'they' you mean the now defunct quango the Livingston Development Corporation using taxpayers money then you're spot on. IIRC, they not only built and paid for the current stadium, but the club got a long period of free/reduced business rates when they relocated too.

I'm sure they'll be only too happy to renumerate the local people for all their money that was used in the first place if they move :fibber:

The Falcon
08-04-2011, 06:13 AM
I'm with you and I'm not bevvied:greengrin

There is little or no incentive NOT to go bust. If the clubs you mention had been a bit more savvy and spent shedloads of money they didnt have, robbed local business' of thier man hours and stock and pumped the taxpayer for money they couldnt pay back then the Clydebank's of this world would still be there.

A short trip to administration, 10 points docked and hey presto! all is well again.

GloryGlory
08-04-2011, 06:27 AM
Slightly off topic but it always amazed me that Tesco never had a store in Livingston considering one of their biggest distribution depots is there.

Back on topic, it seems a bit strange for Livi to be considering a move after only 16 years at their current ground. They spent a fair bit of money getting it up to standard for the SPL so it would be a waste to knock it down after such a short shelf life.

Did they? I thought Livi were tenants and the money from the stadium came from the public purse.

If so, where are they going to get the money for a new stadium on crowds of around 1,000 per week? Or are the taxpayers having to dig into their pockets again?

Removed
08-04-2011, 06:50 AM
more importantly

where is the Primark going to be

I thought that it's being built where the council building used to be beside Blockbuster :dunno:

Barney McGrew
08-04-2011, 06:52 AM
I thought that it's being built where the council building used to be beside Blockbuster :dunno:

:agree:

It's where all the construction is going on at the moment just past Asda

Jay
08-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Primark is being built as said at the side of Asda. if you are in the centre its opposite the Halifax bank, along from the RBS.

Lal! Not being a driver limits my knowledge of shops outwith the main centre. Defo not on the vino on a school night :greengrin

At The Edge
08-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Its also being built inside the centre, they've(Primark) taken 3 units opposite Bank of Scotland, its going to be massive.

as for Livi, guy at work who is a livi fan says they have earmarked 4 potential new sites for a stadium, Craigswood, Opposite the bannatynes gym, near the new Dobbies garden centre and another site around the Deer Park roundabout
Tescos being the supermarket buying the land/stadium, he reckoned Livi where going for a St Mirren type stadium, capacity of around 6000

NGP
08-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Its also being built inside the centre, they've(Primark) taken 3 units opposite Bank of Scotland, its going to be massive.

as for Livi, guy at work who is a livi fan says they have earmarked 4 potential new sites for a stadium, Craigswood, Opposite the bannatynes gym, near the new Dobbies garden centre and another site around the Deer Park roundabout
Tescos being the supermarket buying the land/stadium, he reckoned Livi where going for a St Mirren type stadium, capacity of around 6000

Craigswood have just spent a small fortune on new pitches & changing areas, it has taken a couple of years to build so the cooncil would be wanting a fair wack for that land. It would be right of the main road, so it would be the most suitable location - if a new splip road is built.

Hibee87
08-04-2011, 08:32 AM
My guess would be all the fields at the back of deans you know where thye built that kids park and all that there is a couple of football fields that were laid last summer wit hthe drainage and all that if you look over that pitch there is masses of room on fields used by dog walkers, joggers etc. Would make sense as its close to the live north rail line.
or doon the mid calder pitches cheap skates liek me could stand o nthe bowling green wcarpark wall and watch it fur nowt. here what about east calder pitches? there would be enough room to build a stadium there and still have room left over for a fair few sundy league pitches althoguh technically not in livi

NGP
08-04-2011, 08:39 AM
My guess would be all the fields at the back of deans you know where thye built that kids park and all that there is a couple of football fields that were laid last summer wit hthe drainage and all that if you look over that pitch there is masses of room on fields used by dog walkers, joggers etc. Would make sense as its close to the live north rail line.
or doon the mid calder pitches cheap skates liek me could stand o nthe bowling green wcarpark wall and watch it fur nowt. here what about east calder pitches? there would be enough room to build a stadium there and still have room left over for a fair few sundy league pitches althoguh technically not in livi

Ther are still plans for housing and a new high school for that area.

heretoday
08-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Wherever they build it, I still won't be able to find it.

Barney McGrew
08-04-2011, 08:49 AM
My guess would be them relocating to either the outskirts of Eliburn past the new kids play area or at Dobbies.

Craigswood would be a no go IMO as firstly there wouldn't be enough room to build a seperate stadium and a large enough car park for it, and if they replaced the current facility that's there then it would need a running track round the outside of the pitch which would also make it unfeasible.

Dobbies would be the most likely, especially if it's Tesco that's after the stadium where it sits just now given that it's then that own the Dobbies chain now.

Hibee87
08-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Ther are still plans for housing and a new high school for that area.

There was talk of building a high school there when i was in primary school that was about 12 years ago or somthing. I remeber reading it east calder was to expand to a big town with a high school, shopping centre etc all that has been build since is prob that little ramp for the skaters

Hibee87
08-04-2011, 08:56 AM
My guess would be them relocating to either the outskirts of Eliburn past the new kids play area or at Dobbies.

Craigswood would be a no go IMO as firstly there wouldn't be enough room to build a seperate stadium and a large enough car park for it, and if they replaced the current facility that's there then it would need a running track round the outside of the pitch which would also make it unfeasible.

Dobbies would be the most likely, especially if it's Tesco that's after the stadium where it sits just now given that it's then that own the Dobbies chain now.

Aye thats the place i was meaning just where they built that park along from the new flats at queens crescent. o nthe other side of the fields where the ATOS origin building is there is move building happenign on the otherside (not been down that way in a about a year but it had stopped work on it when i was last there) there was talk of building a pub and shops in amongst the office buildings so who knows could be a good wee place for a few new businesses if it is said location of the new stadium

Jay
08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
The plans for East Calder have been downscaled but still involves a new high school and housing. My oldest was to be the first intake at the new high school, he is in 4th year and the plans still havent been finalised! There is no way a football stadium would be built here, the roads couldnt handle traffic like that.

Hibernia Na Eir
08-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Oh joy.

ANOTHER quick-build UK Lego ground with no fan "comforts" within miles....

dangermouse
08-04-2011, 10:18 AM

“Staying at Central Park in the long-term is not an option", said Donald Findlay QC, Chairman, Cowdenbeath Football Club.

Is that the blue nose flute player?

The_Sauz
08-04-2011, 10:40 AM
“Staying at Central Park in the long-term is not an option", said Donald Findlay QC, Chairman, Cowdenbeath Football Club.

That's him

Dr Jimmy
08-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Slightly off topic here, but I met the guy that bought Livi a while back at a charity dinner, Gordon McDougall. Turns out he knew more about HIBS than I did as he is a massive HIBS fan who used to go home and away prior to his involvement with Cowdenbeath, although even then he still got to as many games as he could and still does.
An absolute top man and a real football guy who I hope does well at Livi.

Not exactly on the topic of the thread, but always good to speak to a Hibby when out, especially one that knew so much about us.

Hal Jordan
08-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Bangour Park :wink:

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/18b89ac2-f0ef-4bff-a439-152c28de8fad.jpg

greenlex
08-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Slightly off topic here, but I met the guy that bought Livi a while back at a charity dinner, Gordon McDougall. Turns out he knew more about HIBS than I did as he is a massive HIBS fan who used to go home and away prior to his involvement with Cowdenbeath, although even then he still got to as many games as he could and still does.

Not exactly on the topic of the thread, but always good to speak to a Hibby when out, especially one that knew so much about us.

When were Livi for sale at a charity dinner?

Antifa Hibs
08-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Livi.... These monkeys make MK Dons look like a traditional club! Move cities now they want to move stadiums!!!

Quite bizzare they only want 6000 aswell. Granted their crowds are pish just now, but IF they get promoted to the SPL Hibs, Celtic & Rangers have all taken more than 6000 to Almondvale, Aberdeen have taken slightly less and Hearts slightly less aswell (The other 396,000 were stuck in traffic).

DH1875
08-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm :confused: and can't see the point in it. Are you lot saying that the price of land in Livi is such that they can sell the current stadium and then afford to move 1 mile away and build a new 6000 seater ground.
Slightly of topic. Nearly moved to Livingston about a year and a half ago, what's it like to live there?

Iggy Pope
08-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Heard this about Gordon MacDougall before.
Cowdenbeath have a fairly recent good tradition of employing ex-Hibbies as manager as well - John Brownlie, Keith Wright /Mickey Weir, Mixu......made a big slip up with Levein though!

Hal Jordan
08-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Nearly moved to Livingston about a year and a half ago, what's it like to live there?

I grew up in Dechmont. Livingston is a depressing *****hole. Seriously, avoid at all costs. It makes Cumbernauld seem cosy.

Removed
08-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I grew up in Dechmont. Livingston is a depressing *****hole. Seriously, avoid at all costs. It makes Cumbernauld seem cosy.

:faf: aye whatever, mibbe 25 years ago

Jay
08-04-2011, 05:37 PM

.....and when were you last there?

Rattler
08-04-2011, 08:16 PM
I'm :confused: and can't see the point in it. Are you lot saying that the price of land in Livi is such that they can sell the current stadium and then afford to move 1 mile away and build a new 6000 seater ground.
Slightly of topic. Nearly moved to Livingston about a year and a half ago, what's it like to live there?

Seems to be a bit of confusion here...........

West Lothian Council own the land and stadium where Livi play. The football club pay the council rent, and were almost wound up (very nearly) a few months back when the Council solicitors were in the process of taking them to court for unpaid rent.

The Council are the ones who are in negotiation with the prospective purchasers, and it is looking likely that one of the conditions of the land purchase is that the buyer of the ground where the football is at present pays the cost of building the new stadium, again which is most likely to be built on land the Council already own (of which there is loads!!)

Peevemor
08-04-2011, 09:03 PM

:confused: My ex-wife's from Dechie by the bing. Okay it's not very exciting, but I wouldn't say it was bad.

Hal Jordan
08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
.....and when were you last there?

About 6 months ago.
It might have a big super duper shopping centre now, but let's be honest, the rest of the place hasn't changed much in the last 30 years. Knightsridge is still a no go zone after dark. The posh bits at Deans and Eliburn and Livi Village might be awrite, but I challenge you to wander the streets of Howden, Craigshill, Knightsridge and Dedridge and find anything positive to say about them. Or not get mugged by chavvy gangs. :wink:
My wee brother got battered at the bus station after a Charlatans gig once. For not being 'fæ Livi'. I was luckier, as being 6'3" tended to put the wee ***** off. I did lose a tooth in a scrap outside the Forum one night though.
It is a soulless place, like all new towns.

greenlex
08-04-2011, 09:19 PM
About 6 months ago.
It might have a big super duper shopping centre now, but let's be honest, the rest of the place hasn't changed much in the last 30 years. Knightsridge is still a no go zone after dark. The posh bits at Deans and Eliburn and Livi Village might be awrite, but I challenge you to wander the streets of Howden, Craigshill, Knightsridge and Dedridge and find anything positive to say about them. Or not get mugged by chavvy gangs. :wink:
My wee brother got battered at the bus station after a Charlatans gig once. For not being 'fæ Livi'. I was luckier, as being 6'3" tended to put the wee ***** off. I did lose a tooth in a scrap outside the Forum one night though.

No different to any other place on the Planet. Good bit and bad.
You sure you're not from Bangour and trying to say Dechmont? :greengrin

Gatecrasher
08-04-2011, 09:28 PM
About 6 months ago.

Pish, livi may have it's problems but there are a lot worse Places to live

Jay
08-04-2011, 09:34 PM
About 6 months ago.

The same thing could be said about every town in the country.

Allant1981
08-04-2011, 09:37 PM
You are going back a bit talking about the forum, that place was knocked down years ago. I worked/ went out in livi for 9 years and most of my mates come from livi. Of course you get your bad bits but as others have said its no better or worse than anywhere else

Dashing Bob S
08-04-2011, 10:03 PM
About 6 months ago.

All the above you can apply to just about everywhere, sadly.

The real crux of the matter is your bottom line. Whatever they do, it'll always be a new town. No escaping that inherent bland, soulless mediocrity.

LALthehibeeGAL
08-04-2011, 11:09 PM

:agree: 100%

Sorry to all my livingston friends who will soon maybe not be!! but avoid livingston is my opinion - I stay in East Calder and never ever say I am from Livingston even though I an only a mile or two away - I always say I am 12 miles west of Edinburgh - sorry just my opinion widnae stay in livingston if you paid me!!! concrete jungle lovely new massive family houses with nowhere for the families to play!! unless they get driven somewhere no community spirit etc.
all just my opinion of course - don't get me wrong it is a lot better for shops etc but that's all really - it's just houses houses houses .. and this is coming from someone who done most of here schooling in Cumbernauld - perhaps that's what done it -although I would probably say Livingston is better than Cumbernauld - but both awful -absolutely nae character

again apologies to those who stay and love Livingston it's just my opinion.

oldbutdim
08-04-2011, 11:23 PM

Dechmont is a depressing ****hole - funny only for the dafties with excessive Xmas lights.

Seems to be a bit of confusion here...........

West Lothian Council own the land and stadium where Livi play. The football club pay the council rent, and were almost wound up (very nearly) a few months back when the Council solicitors were in the process of taking them to court for unpaid rent.

The Council are the ones who are in negotiation with the prospective purchasers, and it is looking likely that one of the conditions of the land purchase is that the buyer of the ground where the football is at present pays the cost of building the new stadium, again which is most likely to be built on land the Council already own (of which there is loads!!)

Correct.

About 6 months ago.

Posh bits at Deans and Eliburn...........:rolleyes:

Plenty posh bits.

:agree: 100%

Sorry to all my livingston friends who will soon maybe not be!! but avoid livingston is my opinion - I stay in East Calder and never ever say I am from Livingston even though I an only a mile or two away - I always say I am 12 miles west of Edinburgh - sorry just my opinion widnae stay in livingston if you paid me!!! concrete jungle lovely new massive family houses with nowhere for the families to play!! unless they get driven somewhere no community spirit etc.
all just my opinion of course - don't get me wrong it is a lot better for shops etc but that's all really - it's just houses houses houses .. and this is coming from someone who done most of here schooling in Cumbernauld - perhaps that's what done it -although I would probably say Livingston is better than Cumbernauld - but both awful -absolutely nae character

again apologies to those who stay and love Livingston it's just my opinion.

East Calder denizen criticises Livingston.

Nice one.
:not worth

Livingston was built to house folk - and it's "all houses" is it.

Well.

Calamity.

Livingston is tops.
:na na:

Pete
09-04-2011, 12:23 AM
All of these people who say that Livingston has no soul or character...where do you live?

If you stay outwith a two mile radius of Edinburgh city centre you are in exactly the same boat as those who stay in Livi...but you're probably getting a lot less house for your money.
The "culture and soul" of Edinburgh is a car or bus ride away and it's mainly houses with a communal shopping facility

Places like Dedridge and Eliburn have as much "soul" as Buckstone, Silverknowes and Oxgangs. The only difference is the schemies have different accents.

I lived in Livingston for a while and thought it was OK. I love staying in Duloch but if someone forced me to sell my house and buy in either Edinburgh or Livi I would choose Livi every time.
So much more for your money, and less spam-valley snobs.

In fact, I wouldn't go back to the city I grew up in if you paid me.

Hal Jordan
09-04-2011, 07:09 AM
livi may have it's problems but there are a lot worse Places to live

Aye, you're right. ***ushima and Benghazi spring to mind :greengrin

And Dundee.

down-the-slope
09-04-2011, 06:02 PM
I thought the Council owned the stadium? and thats why they went bust as no assets to speak of...so it would be WLC selling land?

This may give Livi a ground they own :rolleyes:

DH1875
09-04-2011, 08:54 PM
this is coming from someone who done most of here schooling in Cumbernauld - perhaps that's what done it -although I would probably say Livingston is better than Cumbernauld - but both awful -absolutely nae character

Tells you all you need to know about schools in Cumbernauld :greengrin. Before anyone starts I went to school in Cumbernauld so I know what I'm on about :agree:. Only been to Livi a few times and I got to say that I found it to be 100 times better for shopping.

Iggy Pope
09-04-2011, 09:49 PM
All of these people who say that Livingston has no soul or character...where do you live?

If you stay outwith a two mile radius of Edinburgh city centre you are in exactly the same boat as those who stay in Livi...but you're probably getting a lot less house for your money.
The "culture and soul" of Edinburgh is a car or bus ride away and it's mainly houses with a communal shopping facility

Places like Dedridge and Eliburn have as much "soul" as Buckstone, Silverknowes and Oxgangs. The only difference is the schemies have different accents.

I lived in Livingston for a while and thought it was OK. I love staying in Duloch but if someone forced me to sell my house and buy in either Edinburgh or Livi I would choose Livi every time.
So much more for your money, and less spam-valley snobs.

In fact, I wouldn't go back to the city I grew up in if you paid me.

Grew up in Easter Road. Live in Brunstane. But worked in Fife and you can stick it up yer erse.

Lofarl
09-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I grew up in dedridge as a kid. Back in the crazy days where children played outside and computer games took 10 minutes to load up. The 1980's.

Yes clement rise had it all, a football pitch and plenty trees to make a great tarzie from. So I suppose as a kid Livi was a great place to grow up. I can Imagine if u have bairns Livi is still a good place to raise them

Of course nowadays they will be referred to as weans as a large chunk of Livi sounds the same as the whiny nasal drivel that you hear from the weegies.

But as a single adult Livi is a souless dump of a town and aside from the centre I would never go back to it. But if you want to see a real hellhole try Blackburn. Incest genuinely seems to be the norm around here.

oldbutdim
09-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Grew up in Easter Road. Live in Brunstane. But worked in Fife and you can stick it up yer erse.

I'm struggling with the concept of sticking Fife up one's arse........ but it's your opinion and good luck with it.

Livingston is a great place.

It's growing still, and getting better all the time.

Quite weird to see some criticising it for being a new town......... I wonder why that is..?

Iggy Pope
09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm struggling with the concept of sticking Fife up one's arse........ but it's your opinion and good luck with it.

Livingston is a great place.

It's growing still, and getting better all the time.

Quite weird to see some criticising it for being a new town......... I wonder why that is..?

Where are you spending away your old days then? Peter Douglas apparently lives in Dunfermline and wouldn't come back to Edinburgh for a ransom. Nothing about my (extended) experience of Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Cowdenbeath, Methil, Burntisland or Dalgety Bay would tempt me to stay there. And I would stick pins in my knob before Livingston would get anything longer than a (reluctant) couple of hours for the football.

oldbutdim
09-04-2011, 10:45 PM
Where are you spending away your old days then? Peter Douglas apparently lives in Dunfermline and wouldn't come back to Edinburgh for a ransom. Nothing about my (extended) experience of Dunfermline, Kirkcaldy, Cowdenbeath, Methil, Burntisland or Dalgety Bay would tempt me to stay there. And I would stick pins in my knob before Livingston would get anything longer than a (reluctant) couple of hours for the football.

Livingston IS a new town, and folk criticise it for not having an old town feel.......duuuuuuh..... very good.
It is well planned - housing and industry separated, a great shopping centre and loads of community facilities. You are in a 'town' but seconds away from being 'in the country'........ modern homes, tons of houses for sale if you have the cash, decent homes for rent if you don't.

And it's a short journey to Easter Road.

****in Nirvana it should be renamed.

heretoday
10-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I seldom go west of Harthill these days unless I have to. Even the Almondvale shopping centre seems full of weegie aliens. It's really horrible.

Iggy Pope
10-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Livingston IS a new town, and folk criticise it for not having an old town feel.......duuuuuuh..... very good.
It is well planned - housing and industry separated, a great shopping centre and loads of community facilities. You are in a 'town' but seconds away from being 'in the country'........ modern homes, tons of houses for sale if you have the cash, decent homes for rent if you don't.

And it's a short journey to Easter Road.

****in Nirvana it should be renamed.

I never commented on whether its 'feel' is old or new and I could beat you to Easter Rd from where I'm sitting.

I once had a girlfriend who asked me to 'kiss her where it stinks'.
So I drove her to Dedridge.

Shaggy
10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Livingston is great to live in, sorry to disagree with everyone but I wouldnt stay any where else.

the only hiccups in the planning is there isnt one street full of pubs and restaurants(planners done this on purpose to stop drunken behaviour... fking erses, its just scattered instead of in a controlled area.) and the two train lines dont go through the centre.

Havent heard were its going but it would be common sense to land it near a rail line.

Sas_The_Hibby
10-04-2011, 02:00 PM

What POSSIBLE evidence could you have for calling him that? :wink: :greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
10-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Livingston is great to live in, sorry to disagree with everyone but I wouldnt stay any where else.

the only hiccups in the planning is there isnt one street full of pubs and restaurants(planners done this on purpose to stop drunken behaviour... fking erses, its just scattered instead of in a controlled area.) and the two train lines dont go through the centre.

Havent heard were its going but it would be common sense to land it near a rail line.

Or preferably on an airport runway............. :devil:

lucky
10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Livingston is actually a decent place to stay and raise a family. But like all towns and cities it has its problem areas. I would not move back to the city unless i could get a HOME of similar size in a decent area. great value for money when buying a house. Which is why many people now commute into Edinburgh every day. It is very much a Edinburgh over spill now.

I do find it amusing that many on here have a go at Weedgies yet still follow Scotland football team which is full of them.

hibsdaft
10-04-2011, 02:59 PM
They moved there in 1995 - which means the stadium has had a shelf life of 16 years before being sold to a supermarket?

What a waste of resources.

meanwhile pensioners a mile away have no doubt been waiting 15 years to get their windows repaired.

the world has gone mad.

jakki
10-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I moved to Livi 30 years ago with my young family. It was great, my own front door,5 bedrooms, front and back garden at a better rent than my 3 bedroom tenement house in West Pilton. I now live in a 1 bedroom pensioners house in Howden with Howden Park as my garden. I wouldn't move back to Edinburgh if you paid me, oops maybe if I was offered one those new flats overlooking ER for free, I would reconsider.

Getting back on topic, I'll be glad if Livi fc move. It's not just the noise of that drum, which has been relatively quieter these past seasons, but the racket from their nightclub at closing time!:devil:

Gatecrasher
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I moved to Livi 30 years ago with my young family. It was great, my own front door,5 bedrooms, front and back garden at a better rent than my 3 bedroom tenement house in West Pilton. I now live in a 1 bedroom pensioners house in Howden with Howden Park as my garden. I wouldn't move back to Edinburgh if you paid me, oops maybe if I was offered one those new flats overlooking ER for free, I would reconsider.

Getting back on topic, I'll be glad if Livi fc move. It's not just the noise of that drum, which has been relatively quieter these past seasons, but the racket from their nightclub at closing time!:devil:

the night spot (at the stadium) has been closed for about 3 years :wink:

jakki
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Well it must be the ones that used to go reliving their walk home wi their bottles of cider and making humpty dumpty in the woods just over the path from us!

They still have private functions and fortnightly darts nights too. I knew that it was less than 3 years since I heard the thump thump of their music system. In fact there's a function going on right now.

Albanian Hibs
10-04-2011, 05:20 PM

:faf: nicely put as usual S!

NGP
11-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Makes sense for Livi to move, a nice wee ground at the moment, but victim of the crazy SPL ruling at the time. Plenty of space closer to M8 / Rail links than were it is now. Although the last thing Livi needs another supermarket. There will be Asda, Morrisons, Sainsburys and now a Tesco all within a 2 miles radius! A push to try and bring in more small independant shops / restaurants / bars rather than adding to the big brand retailers would be better for Livingston.

Re some of the comments about Livi. To say areas such as Knightsridge, Craigshill etc are 'no go' areas after dark is just untrue. It does fall short what some other older towns of the same population can offer - but there are many towns throughout central Scotland that I would not move to from Livi.