PDA

View Full Version : NHC Huns in trouble with UEFA again (merged)

Part/Time Supporter
07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2011/04/07/rangers-to-be-hit-with-three-match-european-ban-over-sectarian-chanting-86908-23043583/

RANGERS fans are set to be hammered with a three-match Euro ban for singing sectarian songs.

Last night Ibrox chiefs were also bracing themselves for a "heavy" fine which could be as much as s100,000.

And there are now also fears that UEFA's determination to clamp down on Rangers' bigots could further delay, if not derail entirely, Craig Whyte's s25 million buy-out.

UEFA have told Rangers to expect the penalties because of sectarian songs and chants which the governing body claim were belted out during the Europa League match against PSV in Eindhoven on March 10.

The Ibrox club have until next Thursday to submit their defence - the hearing will be held in Nyon two weeks later - if they are to have any chance of avoiding a FOURTH European sanction.

But a UEFA source, who confirmed Gers had been pulled up again, also said it was unlikely the club could escape punishment.

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2011, 08:55 AM
superb news :agree: are you watching SFA :aok:

DaveF
07-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Let's hope UEFA follow this through and don't suspend any punishment.

It's the only way these numbskulls will learn.

JimBHibees
07-04-2011, 09:02 AM
superb news :agree: are you watching SFA :aok:

Personally think it is a good thing as this nonsense has gone on too long and come back with a vengeance recently. Time for SFA to take on the baton that UEFA have given them.

Removed
07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Let's hope UEFA follow this through and don't suspend any punishment.

It's the only way these numbskulls will learn.

:agree: and why some of ours need to wise up. We can't have it both ways. The "they're worse than us" defence won't wash once bans start being handed out

mickki40
07-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I love you UEFA. I want to have your children... seriously I want to see more decisions taken out of the SFA hands now. If the sfa can't police the game in Scotland, time to see how it really should be done. Come on Uefa maybe a decent 5 year ban from all European competitions in future will send a message to them. On a slightly different note, who at the sfa decided to play an O.F. Game on Easter Sunday??? Are you mental... I am seeing the scene now.

marinello59
07-04-2011, 09:17 AM
:agree: and why some of ours need to wise up. We can't have it both ways. The "they're worse than us" defence won't wash once bans start being handed out

Petrie's cunning plan to provide us with a bottom six team in order to avoid UEFA sanctions next year has paid off then. Only a true genius could have such foresight.:agree:

cabbageandribs1875
07-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Personally think it is a good thing as this nonsense has gone on too long and come back with a vengeance recently. Time for SFA to take on the baton that UEFA have given them.

most likely because the spineless/gutless SFA took no action as soon as the party songs started up again several weeks ago, all ordinary/normal fans seem to have heard the songs but not the SFA.

greenginger
07-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Huns trying to wind-up the "Original Orangemen" by singing pro- King Billy songs !

Jeeze I knew they were thick but, :confused:

Part/Time Supporter
07-04-2011, 09:49 AM

I think it will have a knock-on effect. The Huns cut out some of the dodgy songs when they were in trouble with UEFA before, but they've crept back in this season at times. Given that, I don't think it's a coincidence that there was a full-fat version of the Billy Boys on Sunday.

Keith_M
07-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Surely the songs aren't sectarian or the SFA/SPL/SFL would have fined them before now.

:dunno:

kaimendhibs
07-04-2011, 09:52 AM
What does this say about the SFA. In my eyes its a damning indictment of their total unwillingness to see what everyone else can. They are gutless and spineless when it comes to dealing with the old firm and should also be held accountable in my opinion. The media also turn a blind eye most of the time to their antics.
Well done Uefa

PatHead
07-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Its not just the SFA who should hang their heads in shame. The police and politicians should hang their heads in shame as well rather than having another discussion group and dragging it out until they retire and pass the problems on to the next generation.

If these songs were directed against a colour or any other religions it would be rooted out immediately and the culprits banned/jailed or fined.

What can we expect from a country where sectarianism is written in law stating that only one religion cannot become King/Queen? Until simple matters like that are sorted we cannot expect anything other than this behaviour to be tolerated. In summary Rangers get fine, SFA do SFA, Police do SFA and politicians talk a good game until Uefa do something next time.

Part/Time Supporter
07-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Its not just the SFA who should hang their heads in shame. The police and politicians should hang their heads in shame as well rather than having another discussion group and dragging it out until they retire and pass the problems on to the next generation.

If these songs were directed against a colour or any other religions it would be rooted out immediately and the culprits banned/jailed or fined.

What can we expect from a country where sectarianism is written in law stating that only one religion cannot become King/Queen? Until simple matters like that are sorted we cannot expect anything other than this behaviour to be tolerated. In summary Rangers get fine, SFA do SFA, Police do SFA and politicians talk a good game until Uefa do something next time.

Although I agree with your opinion, I think that's a bit of a red herring (a bit like the separate schools argument). The reason the Act of Settlement has remained in place is more to do with Church of England politics (ie them wanting to retain the monarch as head of their church) rather than anything to do with the divisions in Scotland and Ireland.

Hibs Class
07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
It'll be interesting to see how Rangers try to defend this. Bain's argument that Rangers are being picked on and other club's supporters do the same is pretty pathetic, albeit up to the standard of Bain's usual noise. He should realise that it's simple - if the songs weren't sung then there's no issue, and if they were sung then Rangers are pishing in the wind as far as trying to defend it is concerned.

Part/Time Supporter
07-04-2011, 10:46 AM
It'll be interesting to see how Rangers try to defend this. Bain's argument that Rangers are being picked on and other club's supporters do the same is pretty pathetic, albeit up to the standard of Bain's usual noise. He should realise that it's simple - if the songs weren't sung then there's no issue, and if they were sung then Rangers are pishing in the wind as far as trying to defend it is concerned.

Unless they can prove against the substance of the charge, I think they're screwed this time. UEFA have let them off with warnings and small fines in the recent past because they've been able to offer their anti-bigotry publicity campaigns in mitigation.

JimBHibees
07-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I think it will have a knock-on effect. The Huns cut out some of the dodgy songs when they were in trouble with UEFA before, but they've crept back in this season at times. Given that, I don't think it's a coincidence that there was a full-fat version of the Billy Boys on Sunday.

No coincidence at all.

easty
07-04-2011, 10:55 AM
I was just talking about this with a Hun at my work, he genuinly thinks it's a decent defence that "it's not just us doing it but". :confused:

BigKev
07-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Thankfully UEFA are now stepping up to the plate and doing what our corrupt and weak Governing body should have done years ago.

The SFA have long hidden their head in the sand regarding sectarian chanting so lets hope UEFA now pressurize them into getting their own house in order and hitting all bigots with either points deductions or hefty fines. None of this £10-£15k malarky.

Elephant Stone
07-04-2011, 11:13 AM
The SFA are an absolute embarrassment. People in Europe must wonder why on earth Rangers are allowed to get away with this week in week out in our own league and the SFA should be absolutely ashamed of themselves in that it takes an organisation outwith our own league to actually put action to words.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
People in Europe must wonder why on earth Rangers are allowed to get away with this week in week out in our own league and the SFA should be absolutely ashamed of themselves in that it takes an organisation outwith our own league to actually put action to words.

They probably don't know, and I doubt they'd be that bothered to be honest. :confused:

Bad Martini
07-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I think a fair, reasoned and proportionaite response from our European amigos would be the calling for a full, unfaltering nuclear strike against the huns...

..bring in the Yanks too, just to ensure there is no oil left and we're ****ing sorted.

It'd be like the scene from Robocop where ED209 gives the boy 5-4-3-2-1 seconds to comply..."I am now authorised to use physical force". KA-****IN-BOOM!

Sorted. Next. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ENDOF

Sir David Gray
07-04-2011, 11:44 AM
The Rangers hierarchy claims to be opposed to sectarianism and yet in Martin Bain's statement, he basically admits that Rangers still have a problem with this.

OK he says that they're not the only club with this problem and he's right to say this. Celtic, in my opinion, have just as much of a problem where this kind of nonsense is concerned and, as we've been discussing on here recently, it is starting to creep back into the rivalry in Edinburgh as well, albeit on a far smaller scale.

However if Rangers were to do something serious about this then the focus would change onto another club and then the authorities would be dealing with them instead.

Clubs have to take responsibility for their own problems and not worry about anyone else.

Unfortunately, as far as Rangers and Celtic are concerned, I don't see there being an end to this any time soon. It has been a feature in the rivalry in Glasgow pretty much since both clubs were established in the 19th century and the fans aren't going to change their ways just because UEFA are handing out fines.

Elephant Stone
07-04-2011, 11:49 AM
They probably don't know, and I doubt they'd be that bothered to be honest. :confused:

I highly doubt the people of Israel were fine with the Huns' one hand salutes when they were playing Hapoel Tel Aviv in the UEFA cup. I'd also have doubts that the people of Manchester would welcome them back with open arms.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thejunglebhoys.net/jb/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/rangers_nazi_salute_israel_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thejunglebhoys.net/jb/%3Fp%3D260&usg=__rPertYNKltvGru4XxRZogIIGHc8=&h=508&w=900&sz=80&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=8ImjZt9P_t5zfM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=185&ei=3qOdTYW5GM_MtAbyneyzBA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drangers%2Bsalute%2Bisrael%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DMWo%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D559%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=111&vpy=92&dur=443&hovh=169&hovw=299&tx=165&ty=120&oei=3qOdTYW5GM_MtAbyneyzBA&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.thejunglebhoys.net/jb/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/rangers_nazi_salute_israel_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thejunglebhoys.net/jb/%3Fp%3D260&usg=__rPertYNKltvGru4XxRZogIIGHc8=&h=508&w=900&sz=80&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=8ImjZt9P_t5zfM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=185&ei=3qOdTYW5GM_MtAbyneyzBA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drangers%2Bsalute%2Bisrael%26um%3D1%26 hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DMWo%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D559%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=111&vpy=92&dur=443&hovh=169&hovw=299&tx=165&ty=120&oei=3qOdTYW5GM_MtAbyneyzBA&page=1&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Bad Martini
07-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I highly doubt the people of Israel were fine with the Huns' one hand salutes when they were playing Hapoel Tel Aviv in the UEFA cup. I'd also have doubts that the people of Manchester would welcome them back with open arms.

...no forgetting the rest of Scotland doesny want them either :agree:

Elephant Stone
07-04-2011, 12:07 PM
If you fancy a giggle have a peek on followfollow, you'll be treated to beauties like this:

kirkieger (http://forum.followfollow.com/member.php?u=26707) http://forum.followfollow.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif
1st Team Regular

http://forum.followfollow.com/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Time to have some 21st century thinking for our own good.
It's nothing to do with songs or sectarianism, it's all to do with a concerted anti Rangers fenian agenda.

hibbytam
07-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Guy on the news said that the maximum fine for this is £1m, though he said this level was unlikely.
But we can always hope... come on UEFA

dangermouse
07-04-2011, 12:37 PM
If you fancy a giggle have a peek on followfollow, you'll be treated to beauties like this:

kirkieger (http://forum.followfollow.com/member.php?u=26707) http://forum.followfollow.com/images/statusicon/user_online.gif
1st Team Regular

http://forum.followfollow.com/images/icons/icon1.gif Re: Time to have some 21st century thinking for our own good.
It's nothing to do with songs or sectarianism, it's all to do with a concerted anti Rangers fenian agenda.

Oh the irony. He probably doesn't realise what he just wrote.

lapsedhibee
07-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Surely the songs aren't sectarian or the SFA/SPL/SFL would have fined them before now.

:dunno:

:agree: European bureaucrats with no genuine understanding of traditional British folk singing poking their conspiratorial noses in.

Lofarl
07-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I hope UEFA are up for a fight on this. The mighty fans of the famous Glesga Raingurz will hit European football with a mighty bhoycott, sry boycott. That will bring the governing body to it's knees.

They did after all bully Lloyds bank into a humiliating climbdown. Lets not forget the way they told Her Majesty's custom & excise where to go, when they incorrectly made a error in tax calculations.

This is clearly a conspiracy ran by Italian cafflics that pure rule UEFA byer way min.

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm sure Rangers will be applauding this move by UEFA. Anything that assists them in removing the small minority of bigots who still sadly infest the Ibrox support, has got to be a good thing.

I'll bet most Rangers fans are sick to the back teeth of seeing the club they love continually dragged through the mud by a handful of neanderthals bellowing on about their eccentric twist on the Irish politics of yesteryear.

:fibber:

heretoday
07-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Rangers and their fans are beneath contempt.

Dinkydoo
07-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Can we not arrange some set of 'bounce' european games which Hearts, Celtic and Rangers are to all play in and UEFA to overlook? :greengrin

James70
07-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Can there possibly be any other country in the world where the news media are so obsessed about two football clubs?

Once again Rangers are the main headline on the Scottish news and when it isn't them it's Celtic. No doubt there will be even more headlines to come regarding the proposed takeover. I don't know about anyone else but I am heartily sick of BBC Glasgow constantly giving the prime news position to one of the ugly sisters. It's bad enough having them monopolise the sports news coverage every night without them taking over the main news with the behaviour of their managers and/or supporters.

Do the BBC not realise that there are more important issues going on in this country and that only a fraction of the population are interested in football let alone one of the OF? Imagine if Manchester Utd or Chelsea were the main headlines in the English news on a regular basis.

Scotland's national embarrassment, the Old Firm and BBC Scotland.

ancient hibee
07-04-2011, 06:15 PM
This is a country that produces Olympic champions,World champions,European champions at individual and team level.And what is it that is trawled over endlessly in the media-the fortunes of two teams who take part in a sport which has no recognition for excellence at any level and whose supporters refight 300 year old battles.It's pathetic.

DH1875
07-04-2011, 06:40 PM
I was just talking about this with a Hun at my work, he genuinly thinks it's a decent defence that "it's not just us doing it but". :confused:

You can kinda see his point. What about all the racist crap coming from the Spurs fans on Tuesday? If they going to fine/ban the huns then Spurs should get at least the same.

Hibs Class
07-04-2011, 06:47 PM
You can kinda see his point. What about all the racist crap coming from the Spurs fans on Tuesday? If they going to fine/ban the huns then Spurs should get at least the same.

I can't see his point at all. Obviously I can see why he'd say it's not just them that do it. What I cannot see is why he'd think that's any form of defence. Unless of course he thinks two wrongs make a right, or he is just stupid.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Not sure what the Spurs fans were singing (?) at Adebayor on Tuesday, but if it's the one I think it is about Elephants, his dad and his mum, then Manchester United ought to be first in line.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2011, 08:15 PM
The Rangers hierarchy claims to be opposed to sectarianism and yet in Martin Bain's statement, he basically admits that Rangers still have a problem with this.

OK he says that they're not the only club with this problem and he's right to say this. Celtic, in my opinion, have just as much of a problem where this kind of nonsense is concerned and, as we've been discussing on here recently, it is starting to creep back into the rivalry in Edinburgh as well, albeit on a far smaller scale.

However if Rangers were to do something serious about this then the focus would change onto another club and then the authorities would be dealing with them instead.

Clubs have to take responsibility for their own problems and not worry about anyone else.

Unfortunately, as far as Rangers and Celtic are concerned, I don't see there being an end to this any time soon. It has been a feature in the rivalry in Glasgow pretty much since both clubs were established in the 19th century and the fans aren't going to change their ways just because UEFA are handing out fines.

Can there possibly be any other country in the world where the news media are so obsessed about two football clubs?

Once again Rangers are the main headline on the Scottish news and when it isn't them it's Celtic. No doubt there will be even more headlines to come regarding the proposed takeover. I don't know about anyone else but I am heartily sick of BBC Glasgow constantly giving the prime news position to one of the ugly sisters. It's bad enough having them monopolise the sports news coverage every night without them taking over the main news with the behaviour of their managers and/or supporters.

Do the BBC not realise that there are more important issues going on in this country and that only a fraction of the population are interested in football let alone one of the OF? Imagine if Manchester Utd or Chelsea were the main headlines in the English news on a regular basis.

Scotland's national embarrassment, the Old Firm and BBC Scotland.

We are in danger of obsessing ourselves here. This is about Rangers. For all their obvious faults, Celtic and their fans aren't in trouble with UEFA are they?

Sir David Gray
07-04-2011, 08:31 PM
We are in danger of obsessing ourselves here. This is about Rangers. For all their obvious faults, Celtic and their fans aren't in trouble with UEFA are they?

No, of course they're not this time but all I'm saying is, Martin Bain is right when he points out that Rangers are not the only club with this kind of problem.

I'm quite sure that some of the stuff that comes out of the mouths of Celtic fans falls foul of UEFA's rules, wouldn't you agree?

I've already said that the fact that Celtic are just as bad isn't an appropriate form of defence for Rangers to put forward. They have to take responsibilty for the problems that their club has and let the authorities worry about other clubs.

dunfyhibby
07-04-2011, 08:37 PM
John McMillan, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association, thinks his clubs fans are being treated unfairly and rejected the argument that fans of city rivals Celtic only sing "folk songs".

"It looks like the punishment is already locked away somewhere and we have been found guilty before the trial has taken place - and I think it's absolutely shocking," he said.

"I do not and will never condone sectarian chants, but let me also say that Rangers fans are not the only fans who are involved in sectarian singing and if anyone in Scotland thinks that then they must be living on Mars.

"These aren't decent, thinking people. These are morons and I would get rid of them somehow, but it is not as simple as some make out.

"Rangers Football Club have, in my view, done everything they possibly can do and I am getting angry at the finger being pointed at Rangers most the time."

What a deluded Hun prick!!! He's like a f***in politician. Cant reply to an accusation without questioning the other party. In his case Celtic. Accept it you sectarian bigot!!!

Removed
07-04-2011, 08:47 PM
John McMillan, general secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association, thinks his clubs fans are being treated unfairly and rejected the argument that fans of city rivals Celtic only sing "folk songs".

"It looks like the punishment is already locked away somewhere and we have been found guilty before the trial has taken place - and I think it's absolutely shocking," he said.

"I do not and will never condone sectarian chants, but let me also say that Rangers fans are not the only fans who are involved in sectarian singing and if anyone in Scotland thinks that then they must be living on Mars.

"These aren't decent, thinking people. These are morons and I would get rid of them somehow, but it is not as simple as some make out.

"Rangers Football Club have, in my view, done everything they possibly can do and I am getting angry at the finger being pointed at Rangers most the time."

What a deluded Hun prick!!! He's like a f***in politician. Cant reply to an accusation without questioning the other party. In his case Celtic. Accept it you sectarian bigot!!!

I'd love to know what Rangers have actually done?

As far as I can see it's in their own interests to keep the sectarian divide going. And it's the same for Celtc. The party tunes and flags pre-match at Ibrox just add a few logs onto the fire imo.

Think of all the Rangers replica tops sold in Ulster. Fans base for both teams North & South in Ireland. Remove the essence of what these clubs are all about and it will cost them way more than any measly UEFA fine :agree:

Iggy Pope
07-04-2011, 08:48 PM
No, of course they're not this time but all I'm saying is, Martin Bain is right when he points out that Rangers are not the only club with this kind of problem.

I'm quite sure that some of the stuff that comes out of the mouths of Celtic fans falls foul of UEFA's rules, wouldn't you agree?
I've already said that the fact that Celtic are just as bad isn't an appropriate form of defence for Rangers to put forward. They have to take responsibilty for the problems that their club has and let the authorities worry about other clubs.

Point 1 - this time? Have Celtic been in bother with the UEFA beaks in this respect previously?

Point 2 - Not relevant and as UEFA appear not to be hauling Celtic up about it, then probably not.
As I said, they have a lot of faults but this is not one of them.

This is about Rangers, not the Old Firm collectively.

Anyway and as covered on the 'Scotsman' thread. I couldn't give a toss what they sing :greengrin, but I'd enjoy seeing them suffer because of it.

Iggy Pope
07-04-2011, 08:50 PM
I'd love to know what Rangers have actually done?

As far as I can see it's in their own interests to keep the sectarian divide going. And it's the same for Celtc. The party tunes and flags pre-match at Ibrox just add a few logs onto the fire imo.

Think of all the Rangers replica tops sold in Ulster. Fans base for both teams North & South in Ireland. Remove the essence of what these clubs are all about and it will cost them way more than any measly UEFA fine :agree:

The sectarian divide would not help explain the need for them to sing their tirade at the Dutch though! I mean, talk about roots, man!
:greengrin

Bishop Hibee
07-04-2011, 08:51 PM

:top marks

At least half the Hun support at the League Cup Final were belting out "Oh No Pope of Rome". Sounds like the UEFA observer in Eindhoven heard much the same at that game. Individuals like Martin Bain and McMillan need to have a good look at themselves and their fans instead of blaming some sort of conspiracy.

'Mon the UEFA :agree:

Iggy Pope
07-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Celtic groups should be kicking up ('holy') ****! What has this to do with them?

McD
07-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Just my tuppennys worth.....

Firstly, Rangers deserve all they could get on this, they're bang to rights. However, why aren't Celtic also being looked at, are pro-IRA songs not also highly offensive?

Secondly, UEFA are making a big deal of Rangers' fans singing offensive songs. Fair enough. So why was/is nothing done when, for example, italian fans attack Man Utd fans in Rome? Or italian police men being killed by italian football fans? Or turkish fans who murdered 2 Leeds fan a few years ago, then attacked Arsenal fans in the next round (UEFA cup final). Whilst old firm games do lead to assualts and deaths - this is not what these charges are about, only the singing of sectarian songs?

DCI Gene Hunt
07-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Probably something to do with an "It's no just us, like, it's them in aw" attitude. Fans of The Ugly Sisters don't like being told not to indulge in sectarianism. Because without that there isn't anything for them to follow.

Although to be fair Smelltic should be hammered as well. Hertz could be looked at also, judging by last weekend's shambles in the Away Stand. The SFA are spineless with respect to this.

Gene

Lofarl
07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
The whole point is that the will now be the 5th time Uefa have had to deal with the huns. 5 times.

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2011, 10:24 PM
The whole point is that the will now be the 5th time Uefa have had to deal with the huns. 5 times.

Thats right, and UEFA are fed up with it. Rangers may be right, they might not be the only club who's fans chant sectarian songs. So ban rangers AND the other clubs from europe when the others clubs do so too. Simples.

The Harp Awakes
07-04-2011, 10:29 PM

Rangers have a massive problem with sectarianism amongst their support and that is why they are continually being held to account. As long as Rangers and Martin Bain refuse to accept the extent of the problem they have, they will never get out of the mess that they are in.

His attempt to point the finger at other Clubs when it is Rangers who are in the dock, is misguided, embarrassing and completely irrelevant, whether or not there is any truth in his point. He is doing his Club no favours at all

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Firstly, Rangers deserve all they could get on this, they're bang to rights. However, why aren't Celtic also being looked at, are pro-IRA songs not also highly offensive?

Secondly, UEFA are making a big deal of Rangers' fans singing offensive songs. Fair enough. So why was/is nothing done when, for example, italian fans attack Man Utd fans in Rome? Or italian police men being killed by italian football fans? Or turkish fans who murdered 2 Leeds fan a few years ago, then attacked Arsenal fans in the next round (UEFA cup final). Whilst old firm games do lead to assualts and deaths - this is not what these charges are about, only the singing of sectarian songs?
I hear what your saying mate, but all the incident's happened out side the grounds and have nothing to do with UEFA & more to do with the police and the clubs security officials.

sixtwo
07-04-2011, 10:45 PM
I have just seen this on the news and let out an unstoppable laugh! forgive me if i post what others have posted but I have not taken the time to read the thread. I think it is hilarious they have been caught again. I think it is time that the SFA learned from UEFA and grew some balls and took SERIOUS action against both sides of the old firm and those bigotted neighbours of ours.

The huns and diet huns rejoice in ditties such as 'we're up to our knees in fenian blood, surrender or you'll die'

Why can the west huns get repremanded for doing this in europe but their impoverished cousins in edinburgh get away scot free?????

Sir David Gray
07-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Rangers have a massive problem with sectarianism amongst their support and that is why they are continually being held to account. As long as Rangers and Martin Bain refuse to accept the extent of the problem they have, they will never get out of the mess that they are in.

His attempt to point the finger at other Clubs when it is Rangers who are in the dock, is misguided, embarrassing and completely irrelevant, whether or not there is any truth in his point. He is doing his Club no favours at all

I would agree with that.

However, as someone else has already pointed out, the revenue that Rangers receives off the back of their links to Ulster Loyalism and everything that goes with it means that the club will never do anything serious to sort the problem out.

It's far too lucrative for them.

sixtwo
07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I would agree with that.

However, as someone else has already pointed out, the revenue that Rangers receives off the back of their links to Ulster Loyalism and everything that goes with it means that the club will never do anything serious to sort the problem out.

It's far too lucrative for them.

Good point - bigotry sells tickets

Pete
07-04-2011, 11:26 PM

I'm not sure the police have anything to do with it.

They might be committing crimes but how do you go about arresting thousands of people when you are so heavily outnumbered? Even if they started arresting a handfull there would probably be a riot and it wouldn't be worth the risk.

I don't know if the Chief Constable of a particular force has the power to insist a match be cancelled or played behind closed doors...but it's either up to them or it's up to the people at the top of the footballing tree to sort this out and take decisive action.

It's probably a sad fact that this is so ingrained in our society that these very people have strong hunnish leanings resulting in the lack of any progress.

Barney McGrew
08-04-2011, 05:37 AM

And moving on from that, he's now making the incredible suggestion that there's nothing more Rangers can do to eradicate it :crazy:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3515526/Fighting-problem-not-easy.html

NGP
08-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Yes, other teams are bigots / racists / violent etc and yes step should be taken against all clubs who break the rules.

Rangers have been caught time and time again.

If you get stopped for speeding -you can't say, 'aye officer but theres loads o other guys going faster than me'.

If you get stopped for speeding for the 5th time, you still can't say 'its no just me officer, everybody speeds, so I shouldnae be fined and banned by ra way'.

Hope they get the book thrown at them and show the SFA how to deal with them.

McD
08-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I hear what your saying mate, but all the incident's happened out side the grounds and have nothing to do with UEFA & more to do with the police and the clubs security officials.
↲Fair point mate :)

GordonHFC
08-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I see a number of issues here.

1. I agree that there are a number of clubs who do have a sectarian element, ourselves included. But these clubs can do something about it because they are in the minority. If Rangers continue to see it as a minority of their supporters which are sectarian then they will never get rid of the problem. The reason they do nothing about it is because there would be very few of them left.

2. How can you blame other clubs supporters for UEFA taking this stand when everyone on the planet can hear what bile comes from your stands week in and week out.

3. SFA have done and will continue to do SFA as long as these two moronic clubs have such a say in the running of our game in this country.

4. If you want to eradicate sectarianism like you say you do then act on a Saturday by banning anyone who sings these so called songs. You know where they sit, they will be on the clubs database so just ban them. Might cost a few bob in stamps (46p x 50,000 = £23,000) but you can do it if you want.

5. No one likes you and WE don't care.

BoltonHibee
08-04-2011, 12:56 PM
UEFA should throw the book at Rangers, they deserve all they get, they have not dealt with this issue for god knows how long.

Banning them from Europe would be a atart along with a hefty fine.

UEFA should also throw the book at the SFA as well, hefty fines also as they have done SFA to eradicate the problem! (Watch them toe the line after that is done!)

JeMeSouviens
08-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Offensive, yes, but misty eyed plastic romanticism about freedom fighters in the ould country isn't illegal, blatant anti-Catholic bigotry is.

Same reason UEFA didn't get involved when the Huns ransacked Manchester, they only deal in events at or inside stadia.

basehibby
08-04-2011, 03:08 PM
What does this say about the SFA. In my eyes its a damning indictment of their total unwillingness to see what everyone else can. They are gutless and spineless when it comes to dealing with the old firm and should also be held accountable in my opinion. The media also turn a blind eye most of the time to their antics.
Well done Uefa

:agree: The SFA et al made lots of big noises about clamping down on the OF's blatant sectarian nonsense but have shown themselves to be nothing but a paper tiger on the issue.
There have been masses of examples of the huns in particular reverting to type and singing their backward-minded old party songs - parroted as they are by their mini hun pals at Tynie - but the SFA have only been adept at bending over backwards to absolve the OF hierarchy of any blame - but that's not the point is it? Hammer Rangers FC by fining them seriously and/or docking points, and their followers will very quickly learn the art of self policing and silence the drongoes in their midst.
UEFA deserve to be congratulated for showing the SFA what it means to take decisive action against bigoted fans in the stands.

grunt
08-04-2011, 04:04 PM
UEFA deserve to be congratulated for showing the SFA what it means to take decisive action against bigoted fans in the stands.
Well, they will be congratulated if they DO take action, but nothing has been done so far, other than some sabre rattling. They have been called to a hearing - it remains to be seen what the outcome will be. Last time, according to the BBC story, they were fined a massive £8k. Woo.

Brizo
08-04-2011, 04:28 PM
No doubt we will now see the SFA . politicians and the media decide to jump on the anti sectarian issue with much pontificating , handwringing and serious soundbites. That is of course until UEFAs attention is drawn to some other issue .... and then those three bodies will breathe a huge sigh of relief and promptly ignore it again. Cue resumption of normal sectarian service.

Those aforementioned bodies have in the main only ever acted on the back of UEFA intervention. Rangers have only ever addressed sectarianism reactively never proactively. Congratulations to UEFA for identifying that the sectarian problem is back on the increase. The sad truth about our wee country is that it will always need to be outsiders who address it while the SFA , politicians and media will only ever pay lip service to it.

Kaiser1962
08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Good point - bigotry sells tickets

Thats why they're called the old "firm" cause they are two halfs of the same firm. Bigotry is their business.

Do people remember the Orange shirts in tribute to the Dutch? I bet they chuckled to themselves for months about that one.

Antifa Hibs
08-04-2011, 05:00 PM
SFA must feel a right bunch of dafties now, and will probably be ****ing themselves. IF Uefa fine them, and Rangers still sing the same 'banned' songs at SPL matches, do the SPL/SFA run the risk of upsetting their wee pals by fining them and at the same time they run the risk of looking like a bunch of bottle merchants if they do hee-haw. Interesting times ahead...

Regarding eridicating this nonsense, will it ever happen? I doubt it... For them its normality, going to pub listening to republican/loyal flute music, heading to the game with a vatican or some 1690 flag, going to the game and singing Irish/Norn Irish-British songs, its normal to them, they've been brought up in it, they know no different, we're the daft ones to them for 'not getting it'. Tims actually think we're 'sell outs' for not singing 'the rebs' anymore, for taking down the tri-colour from ER etc, I have Irish Republican symphanies and interests (Alot less now I should add) and have attended republican/socialist marches in both Edinburgh & Glasgow (not for a few years now) and would never dream of combining Hibs and politics, the weegies though, they see politics and to a lesser extent religion going hand in hand with fitba. Impossible to tell really, but if we were brought up in the Gallowgate or Govan we'd probably be the same...

The SFA havn't go the balls and its too much money to Rangers & Celtic to get 'rid of it' on their own, so its here to stay.

Greentinted
08-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Not sure if this should be merged with the current thread on Rangers' intolerance issues but here's Waler Smith pleading for the morons to stop their nonsense. Interesting also to hear him admit to being a 'reconstructed bigot'. PRESS CONFERENCE HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13014700.stm)
It certainly seems though, maybe at last, they are worried and will attempt address the problem rigorously instead of marching defiantly round the issue.

Lucius Apuleius
08-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Being a "reconstructed bigot" myself I see where he is coming from. Maybe he has seen the light, maybe he is sqeaking. Interested to see what happens.

sleeping giant
08-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Fair play to him imo.

Greentinted
08-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Fair play to him imo.

:agree: For what its worth I think he got the tone right, aye. It doesn't need for him to be going deeply into the whole issue - basically just lay it on the line in simple terms.

iwasthere1972
08-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Fair play to him imo.

Shame he didn't say something sooner and didn't leave it until a month or so before he's offski.

marinello59
08-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Shame he didn't say something sooner and didn't leave it until a month or so before he's offski.

True.
At least he has said something now though.

Mibbes Aye
08-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Having read what he's quoted as saying, on the BBC website, he's hardly denouncing the problem!.

He talks about it as being 'tradition', and says singing such songs is "maybe not acceptable".

I can understand him trying to strike a middle ground, all too easily but it's not good enough.

If there's any sincerity in Rangers' attempts to address bigotry then he has to be saying something much, much stronger, and the words have to be backed up by the club's actions. Likewise on the other side of that idiotic divide.

A lot of us doubt whether they really see it as a problem and whether they genuinely want to change things. There's still a lot of convincing to be done. If UEFA getting serious is the incentive for change then I'm glad. But it's a shameful reflection on them, that they only seriously look at it when it comes down to the risk of losing out on money from Europe.

marinello59
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Having read what he's quoted as saying, on the BBC website, he's hardly denouncing the problem!.

He talks about it as being 'tradition', and says singing such songs is "maybe not acceptable".

I can understand him trying to strike a middle ground, all too easily but it's not good enough.

If there's any sincerity in Rangers' attempts to address bigotry then he has to be saying something much, much stronger, and the words have to be backed up by the club's actions. Likewise on the other side of that idiotic divide.

A lot of us doubt whether they really see it as a problem and whether they genuinely want to change things. There's still a lot of convincing to be done. If UEFA getting serious is the incentive for change then I'm glad. But it's a shameful reflection on them, that they only seriously look at it when it comes down to the risk of losing out on money from Europe.

Much as it pains me to praise the man I think he has got the tone right here. His audience for his comments is not the great Scottish public , it's the diehard bigots who think they are doing nothing wrong. Preaching at them a simply won't work.

DH1875
08-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Same reason UEFA didn't get involved when the Huns ransacked Manchester, they only deal in events at or inside stadia.

So what about the Spurs fans on Tuesday? Does the songs Liverpool/ Man U sing about Hillsborough and Munich count? Partick Thistle must be proper ducked cause they sing about both the queen and the pope and what about the Yams, or do they no count cause their no in europe?

stubru59
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Walter seems to be saying that in the current climate - facing an impending fine - it might not be a good idea to carry on singing sectarian songs.

He's not saying he doesn't approve, he's saying the powers that be are inclined to show their disapproval by imposing a financial penalty.

Hibs Class
08-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Much as it pains me to praise the man I think he has got the tone right here. His audience for his comments is not the great Scottish public , it's the diehard bigots who think they are doing nothing wrong. Preaching at them a simply won't work.

:agree: Think that's the key point here.

Mibbes Aye
08-04-2011, 06:33 PM

:agree: That's fair comment and I sort of agree with it. I genuinely think he has no choice but to be an incrementalist about this.

I think my problem is that, the culture is a bit like a river. If you do nothing, or even if you put up a token effort at swimming against the tide, you still just get dragged along by the current. Unless you're actively swimming against, then you're not going to make any progress.

And the biggest part of the problem isn't the active bigots, it's the everyday majority who aren't bigoted but for whatever reason don't shout the intolerant minority down and chase them out.

If things are to change then it takes a lot of hard work. Unfortunately it doesn't take work by the braindead who cause the problem, it takes work by the vast majority who aren't part of the problem and who have in no way caused it.

It's frustrating certainly. It means making the effort to marginalise the bigots and showing no tolerance for sectarianism.

I don't think Smith's comments encourage that. But I think it needs someone with his authority in their camp to be so bold.

Brizo
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Walter seems to be saying that in the current climate - facing an impending fine - it might not be a good idea to carry on singing sectarian songs.

He's not saying he doesn't approve, he's saying the powers that be are inclined to show their disapproval by imposing a financial penalty.

:agree:

Its kind of like saying to a kid dont shoplift because you might get caught. Not dont shoplift because its wrong.

Has he put it in those terms because he thinks thats the best strategy to cut it out , as some other posters think. Or has he put it in those terms because he / the club fear the backlash if they tell the fans its just wrong full stop whether your going to be penalised for it or not.

Bottom line is yet again its taken an outside agency to highlight the problem. Rangers as a brand are too powerful for our authorities to do anything other than pay lip service. The SFA are too scared to do anything tangible like deduct points or close a stand (or in their case all 4 stands). Politicians are too scared to come out to strongly in case they lose their Rangers voters. And the media will pontificate about it cause they know the issue fills airtime and sells papers but by and large theyll sit on the fence as they dont want to lose Rangers listeners / viewers / newspaper sales

ancient hibee
08-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I don't think that it's any accident that Smith(leaving in 2 months)is the chosen one to tackle the subject.

Black Kyle
08-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I'll believe the SFA are serious when they start deducting points not fines.

That's the only way that the clubs involved in this issue will take notice and act.

Both of 'them' seem to thrive on the 'religeous divide.'

The organs of the state and media have responsibility too - how many times have you heard a commentator say the team are getting tremendous support while the fans are pouring out sectarian bile?

Hibs Class
08-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I don't think that it's any accident that Smith(leaving in 2 months)is the chosen one to tackle the subject.

I don't think it's accidental they chose Smith either, but mainly because they couldn't trust McCoist to be serious. He would have a) fluffed his lines b) burst out laughing or c) started singing himself.

Removed
08-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't think it's accidental they chose Smith either, but mainly because they couldn't trust McCoist to be serious. He would have a) fluffed his lines b) burst out laughing or c) started singing himself.

I'd say all three :agree:

Jim44
09-04-2011, 09:19 AM
At first glance, Walter Smith's denunciation of Rangers' bigoted singing seems admirable till you consider the qualifying of his views. His admission that "he used to sing these songs on the terracing when he was younger" tends to suggest that his concern is not about the principle, morality or ethics of singing such trash but about the financial harm it might do to the club.

woody47
09-04-2011, 09:33 AM
As much as I can't stand WS, he has a point though. How many of the older Hibees can't say they didn't sing the rebel songs at ER years ago but not now? Things change and as Hibees, most of us have. Problem is the knuckle draggers through the west haven't changed or have just gotten worse.
Yes I agree WS has come out with this statement purely down to peer pressure but his era on the terracing it was almost deemed acceptable.
Luckily things have mostly got better and people are seeing these things for what they really are, EXCEPT the unfirm. Can't really seeing them ever changing unless they were to be kicked out of ALL leagues but then where would they spout their bile?

MrSmith
09-04-2011, 10:30 AM
At first glance, Walter Smith's denunciation of Rangers' bigoted singing seems admirable till you consider the qualifying of his views. His admission that "he used to sing these songs on the terracing when he was younger" tends to suggest that his concern is not about the principle, morality or ethics of singing such trash but about the financial harm it might do to the club.

Nail on head for me! Rangers are about to implode due to UEFA, HMRC and this take over deal - which isn't going to happen! All these guys including the institutionalized bias of the SFA/SPL/SFL, are interested in is the financial factor that enables them to ride the coat tails of this rotten club!

Also, it really irks me to see socialism next to IRA and rebellion! I'm glad I was brought up with no religion nor excuses for hate!

cad
09-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Money that's what its all about ,always will be, our league is run on bigotry and racism.
FFs we buy into it with our season tickets ,we even budget for the Bigot Brothers in our finances and how not getting into the top 6 and games against the Bigots is a financial disaster ,well here's the wake up call from UEFA ,130 years late but here it is .
In the 40 years that Ive followed Hibs our own regulators the SFA /SPL/SFL/ The Suits , Uncle Tom Cobley And All , whoever was in charge at the time didnt want anything to do with it .
I detest everything these 2 teams stand for their fans live in a bubble 300 or 400 years old , and when they go abroad to represent Scotland ,I cringe at what these countries football fans and just normal everyday folk must think about the Bigot Brothers and the rest of the teams in Scottish football are like .
The football fans of Germany , Portugal ,Greece, France ,England ,Spain must wonder what these clowns are all about ,in Spain the nearest they could get to understanding what they are on about is the Spanish Inquisition,
Why is the police not involved every week ,why does our courts not have and endless stream of these FANS going through their doors weekly getting fined hundreds of pounds for racism ,abuse threatening behaviour, sectarianism ,wheres the parliament Alex and Co what are they doing about it ,wheres the bans for life from the clubs themselves .
There ye go, nil by mouth all the anti racism preached by both Of Firm boards , how many supporters have been banned in the last 5 years , not many I would bet,
There will be the token nutter banned but that could have been for anything just depending on how hot the media is making it for them at that time ,and the sacrificial lamb displayed by either club giving them the moral high ground for being seen to be doing something they should be doing every week anyway ,not because public opinion requires them to , but because its morally right ,because that's what normal people would expect ,not being cajoled into by the press because theyre taking a stance this week for whatever reason , whats one lamb when there's thousands in the flock .
214 arrests at one of the games and 13 attempted murders I take it trying to stab someones is attempted murder plus all the visits to the hospital after the battle ,then the hellish time the women of these clowns go through after whatever team lost and the violence that the wrong result can bring into the home
Evidence cant be to hard to find TV . CCTV , newspapers etc all the stuff to catch the culprits and ,zip,heehaw f.ck all done about it weeks after the event yet throw a banana on the pitch and its wall to wall investigations and a 4 day front page editorial ,
sells papers done it .
Its a shocking inditment on Scotland and the people running our police forces government and sport ,for an International body having to put our house in order its the lowest of the low we should hang our heads in shame for letting this go on for so long
As Jim44 puts it they still want their songs sung they just dont want fined for belting out the bile .
Scottish footballs on its last legs IMO , we play in a league we will never win ,our highlight of the year is beating The Bigots and Hearts is that it ,is that what Hibs and Scottish footballs all about surely we have to show them the door ditch them, and the SFA , its hangers on , these free loaders ,these amber solaire dignitaries of Scotland who have no more interest in Scottish Football than what they can get out of it the jaunts etc that they wangle , year in year out .
Dealing with the bigot purely for the finance is that the be all for Hibs and the rest ,maybe we are better off calling it a day , the fact that we put up with it , and not boycotting matches makes us/me just as guilty they drag us down these people with there constant bile its time to cut this financial umbilical cord that Scottish football hangs onto for grim death, cut it maybe its better to lose the money and gain some respect than carrying on as we are ,or is it business as usual next season and we will have the threads and posts all over again decrying them and doing nothing .

CropleyWasGod
09-04-2011, 12:03 PM

To be fair, why shouldn't he and the club take that line? The knuckle-draggers (and those who tolerate them) won't, or refuse to, understand such concepts as decency, diversity and reconciliation.... but they MAY understand financial penalties which directly affect the team on the park.

Greentinted
09-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Post #88. :top marks

cabbageandribs1875
09-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Post #88. :top marks

i agree :agree:

cad
10-04-2011, 07:16 AM
To be fair, why shouldn't he and the club take that line? The knuckle-draggers (and those who tolerate them) won't, or refuse to, understand such concepts as decency, diversity and reconciliation.... but they MAY understand financial penalties which directly affect the team on the park.

The fact that money seems to be the route of all evils has never been more evident than with these 2 clubs , bans points deducted for the sing song etc ,is the way forward but our mob incharge aint got the ballocks for it ,cause to many waves .

Since90+2
10-04-2011, 09:34 AM
The reason the SFA have never taken action against the Old Firm is because most of the people in high positions in the organisations support either Celtic or Rangers. George Peat for example is a well known died in the wool hun , he is hardly going to punish them is he?

basehibby
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM

If UEFA fines the huns a million squid then maybe some of these "decent thinking people" will grow a spine and start to confront the mindless "minority" in their midst. That's the way to sort this IMO - encourage the fans to police themselves - by hammering their club relentlessly until the morons keep their bile to themselves for fear of mortal injury from their fellow supporters.

basehibby
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Probably something to do with an "It's no just us, like, it's them in aw" attitude. Fans of The Ugly Sisters don't like being told not to indulge in sectarianism. Because without that there isn't anything for them to follow.

Although to be fair Smelltic should be hammered as well. Hertz could be looked at also, judging by last weekend's shambles in the Away Stand. The SFA are spineless with respect to this.

Gene

:agree: The bigot problem at Tynie has been steadilly on the rise for the last decade or so from what I can see - what used to be a mere smattering of UJs and other mini-hun paraphernalia has grown to take up a significant portion of the away end.

basehibby
10-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I'll believe the SFA are serious when they start deducting points not fines.

That's the only way that the clubs involved in this issue will take notice and act.

Both of 'them' seem to thrive on the 'religeous divide.'

The organs of the state and media have responsibility too - how many times have you heard a commentator say the team are getting tremendous support while the fans are pouring out sectarian bile?

:agree: That would without doubt be the most effective strategy - the threat of deducted points during a close fought league season will have the OF fans battering each other into silence at the first hint of sectarianism.

Don't know why the SPL/SFA don't just get on with it and do it if they're really serious about addressing this problem - it would have dramatic and lasting effects IMO.

cad
11-04-2011, 09:41 AM
:agree: That would without doubt be the most effective strategy - the threat of deducted points during a close fought league season will have the OF fans battering each other into silence at the first hint of sectarianism.

Don't know why the SPL/SFA don't just get on with it and do it if they're really serious about addressing this problem - it would have dramatic and lasting effects IMO.

The SFA deduct points from either of The Old Firm , I would be amazed if that ever happened .
The Uglies win the league from the rest of us by 25-30 points every season theyre other half by 3 -7 points ,can you imagine losing a league for singing songs ,
can you imagine the
",You sung that song ,aye only because you sang your song argument ,"
or
" You got fined more than us , ah but we only sung one song ,yous sung 2 naw we didnae , Aye ye did . debate "

The SFA crapping all over he hand that feeds it canny see it ,if they deducted
10 pts every offence they would be minus 40 points by halftime on the first game of the season .

GGTTH