PDA

View Full Version : Celtics 2nd penalty is outrageous

Cameron1875
07-04-2011, 02:19 AM
I wont argue the fact that we were well beaten but that is a disgraceful decision. Don't want to sound paranoid but talk about the referee buckling to the pressure of these OF supporters.

Hanlon makes an outstanding challenge. Best angle is 4.43 on the clip.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9449657.stm

soupy
07-04-2011, 05:09 AM
On the advice of his assistant I believe, seems against hibs, the assistants get it wrong everytime they stick their noses in.

R'Albin
07-04-2011, 05:34 AM
It wasn't a pen, but tbf ours was hardly a stonewaller either:wink:

Dinkydoo
07-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Good tackle from Hanlon :agree:

LeithBoozy
07-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Only two penalty's when they are on the title run-in, we got off lightly. :agree:
The assistants name was not Keith Sorbie, the yam basta, was it.:wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-04-2011, 08:20 AM
It was the worst decision that I have seen....since the penalty that we got in the same game. In all seriousness though, we could have got a real roasting last night, and it is our only plus that we didn't fall out of the game completely. However, if the ref's performance was been reviewed by an assessor in the stands, he has to be marked down on both of those calls. To penalise Hanlon's tackle is just not good enough at this level.

Part/Time Supporter
07-04-2011, 08:28 AM
It was the worst decision that I have seen....since the penalty that we got in the same game. In all seriousness though, we could have got a real roasting last night, and it is our only plus that we didn't fall out of the game completely. However, if the ref's performance was been reviewed by an assessor in the stands, he has to be marked down on both of those calls. To penalise Hanlon's tackle is just not good enough at this level.

It was a soft penalty (as was Celtic's first), but it was a foul. Mulgrew knocks Wotherspoon off balance.

The second Celtic penalty is ridiculous, the referee should be sent to the juniors for the rest of the season for that kind of nonsense.

Hibee87
07-04-2011, 08:31 AM
All 3 penaltys for me look like terrible calls. hibs get the ball in both of them (the first ive only seen the once so ill hapily be proved worng but looks like the ball is won by a hibs player) and our one is laughable, if that was given agaisnt us i would be raging. wouldnt have affected the outcome as everyone said just shows though how inept the refs up here are

SlickShoes
07-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Agree with the poster above, our penalty was VERY soft, wotherspoon still managed to stay on his feet and play the ball to a hibs player too. Both Celtc pens were never panalties in a million years, the first one, both players hit the ball but browns momentum takes him over and the second one is an excellent tackle but performing a sliding tackle in your own box at Celtc Park and not expecting a penalty is naive.

ahibby
07-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Even their first penalty was a dodgy decision, the second Hanlon definitely gets the ball. Ours was a stonewaller no doubt that Mulgrew pulled Spoony.

Hibernia Na Eir
07-04-2011, 09:23 AM
a Celtic fan i met at the game confirmed that it was never a penalty in a million years.

hibbysam
07-04-2011, 10:33 AM
How any ref can give that is beyond me.. there was literally no contact between two players whatsoever.. Just because the linesman gave a penalty doesn't mean you have to agree! yes hibs were hopeless and deserved nothing.. but both penalties were a joke! i thought it might just have been me with the first one but seeing as a couple of people seem to agree jimmy certainly gets the ball!

They can shove there conspiracy theories right up there behinds!

Alex Trager
07-04-2011, 11:10 AM
our pen was a definate penalty he pulled him back, however it is very soft... their second is just typical

Hibee87
07-04-2011, 11:41 AM
our pen was a definate penalty he pulled him back, however it is very soft... their second is just typical

Ill need to watch it again on my lunch but what i seen this morning it looks as though he barley touches soony not enough for him to fall down or anything, i thik the momentun of his run and turning to cut it back makes it look liek he was off balance but he got the ball to vaz te in a good position and not 1 player even looked to the ref for a pen. liek i said before if that was givin against us i would be livid like even ifthat was in the middle of the park it wouldnt be a free kick......however as i said ill hapily be proved worng and watch on muy lunch.

the worst thing is nothing will be said or done about the refs performance as it didnt impact the game or or gave celtic any problems. its a effing conspiracy alright :rolleyes:

:flag::cgwa:cgwa:flag:

soupy
07-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Ill need to watch it again on my lunch but what i seen this morning it looks as though he barley touches soony not enough for him to fall down or anything, i thik the momentun of his run and turning to cut it back makes it look liek he was off balance but he got the ball to vaz te in a good position and not 1 player even looked to the ref for a pen. liek i said before if that was givin against us i would be livid like even ifthat was in the middle of the park it wouldnt be a free kick......however as i said ill hapily be proved worng and watch on muy lunch.

the worst thing is nothing will be said or done about the refs performance as it didnt impact the game or or gave celtic any problems. its a effing conspiracy alright :rolleyes:

:flag::cgwa:cgwa:flag:

You been proved wrong yet?? :)

Hibee87
07-04-2011, 12:02 PM
You been proved wrong yet?? :)

not yet im tied to my desk till about half 1 with no food - the evil corperation..... ill hold my hands up once i have :greengrin

--------
07-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Yup - a tug at his shirt - the very thing many of us have been wanting referees to penalise for a long time. Spoony's heading for the goalline with men inside him; the foul turns him outwards away from goal. Well done the ref.

Hanlon clearly plays the ball well ahead of any contact with the Celtic player, but if you look at the free-kick that lead to Hearts' second goal on Sunday, you'll see that Scott did exactly the same - played the ball, then knocked the man over.

The way the rules are set out nowadays, the referee can interpret that as a foul.

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by
a player inside his own penalty

Part/Time Supporter
07-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Hanlon clearly plays the ball well ahead of any contact with the Celtic player, but if you look at the free-kick that lead to Hearts' second goal on Sunday, you'll see that Scott did exactly the same - played the ball, then knocked the man over.

The way the rules are set out nowadays, the referee can interpret that as a foul.

The "foul" before the second Hertz goal on Sunday could be interpreted that way, because Thornhill clattered the Jambo with his trailing leg after playing the ball. Hanlon made a clean tackle for the second Celtic penalty. The Celtic player was only impeded in the sense that he had to hurdle Hanlon's tackling leg, by which time the ball was already out of play (for a corner). I can't see how even using the most absurd interpetation of the law that could be seen as a penalty. If that's a foul then it really is a non-contact sport.

Sas_The_Hibby
07-04-2011, 05:17 PM
a Celtic fan i met at the game confirmed that it was never a penalty in a million years.

Only a Celtic fan with a persecution complex could have a memory THAT long! :greengrin

shagpile
07-04-2011, 05:32 PM

The assesor from the SFA? In all probablity an ex referee?
He will be marked down all right,but only if he started the game 10 seconds early/lateor if his jersey wasn't tucked in properly.

Shower of ******s.

--------
07-04-2011, 05:34 PM
The "foul" before the second Hertz goal on Sunday could be interpreted that way, because Thornhill clattered the Jambo with his trailing leg after playing the ball. Hanlon made a clean tackle for the second Celtic penalty. The Celtic player was only impeded in the sense that he had to hurdle Hanlon's tackling leg, by which time the ball was already out of play (for a corner). I can't see how even using the most absurd interpetation of the law that could be seen as a penalty. If that's a foul then it really is a non-contact sport.

PTS, I agree with you. the thing is, the rule says that even a clean tackle like this can be called foul if the referee considers it dangerous or reckless or whatever - it's all down to the ref's interpretation (or, presumably, the assistant's) - which means we're indeed well on the way to Football becoming a non-contact sport.

For almost all the time that you and I have watched football, that would have been judged a perfectly executed, precise tackle by PH. No way should he have been penalised.

The_Sauz
08-04-2011, 12:32 AM
It reminded me of a tackle that Alan Thomson (sp) put on Scott Brown in front of the WS, were he went in hard, won the ball, but took him out with his trailing leg...Result Throw in to Hibs and Brown out for weeks with an ankle injury, yet it was classed as a great tackle by the media :confused:

The_Sauz
08-04-2011, 12:42 AM
PTS, I agree with you. the thing is, the rule says that even a clean tackle like this can be called foul if the referee considers it dangerous or reckless or whatever - it's all down to the ref's interpretation (or, presumably, the assistant's) - which means we're indeed well on the way to Football becoming a non-contact sport.

For almost all the time that you and I have watched football, that would have been judged a perfectly executed, precise tackle by PH. No way should he have been penalised.

That word = Inconsistency :agree:
Something that we (football fans from all clubs) want from the Referee, but until they do away with it, expect more of the same for a long long time!

Zondervan
08-04-2011, 08:58 AM
It reminded me of a tackle that Alan Thomson (sp) put on Scott Brown in front of the WS, were he went in hard, won the ball, but took him out with his trailing leg...Result Throw in to Hibs and Brown out for weeks with an ankle injury, yet it was classed as a great tackle by the media :confused:

Or Ian Murray's tackle on the young Aberdeen lad a couple of seasons back, again in front of the WS.

marinello59
08-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Or Ian Murray's tackle on the young Aberdeen lad a couple of seasons back, again in front of the WS.

I don't think that was a comparable tackle, it was hard but fair. The media certainly didn't big it up as a great tackle although McGhoo didn't get much sympathy when he tried to have Murray reviled as a hatchet man.

Hibby D
08-04-2011, 10:38 AM
........... that would have been judged a perfectly executed, precise tackle by PH. No way should he have been penalised.

And that's the silver lining in this - we can't do anything about the ref/asst ref's decision but we can applaud Hanlon for an inch perfect tackle that seasoned stalwarts of the game would be proud to have delivered :top marks

frazeHFC
08-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Just seen it, never a penalty!

snooky
08-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Refereeing at it's worst.
Alas, that's the standard of SPL referees these days.
Hanlon's tackle never a penalty (and that is a totally unbiased call).
No wonder crowds are down. Football is comparable with All-In Wrestling these days - and primarily because of the refereeing standards.

Taxi!!!!!!!!!!!!