PDA

View Full Version : Stephens

since90plustwo
06-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Thought the lad looked good tonight, comfortable on the ball, good in the air. hopefully a sign of things to come:greengrin

1987green
07-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Not good enough Hanlon looked like a lost boy last night with him next to him. Ive seen him play for Norwich and he was bang average then

sixtwo
07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I was optomistic when we signed him and still think he has the potential to be a very good player at the club. If he is gonna be a player, I'm sure a man of Calderwoods experience will nurture him and get the best out of him

CallumLaidlaw
07-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Not good enough Hanlon looked like a lost boy last night with him next to him. Ive seen him play for Norwich and he was bang average then

Yet any Norwich fans commenting on their forum when he signed for us were disappointed that he left.

The 2/3 times I've seen him he looks very promising

James70
07-04-2011, 11:21 PM
He's still just a teenager is he not, not much top team experience anywhere yet so far too early to write him off though I think both he and Hanlon need a very experienced pro playing alongside to help them along.

col02
08-04-2011, 05:12 AM
I hope he is given a decent run out for the remainder of the season as he needs a bit experience if he is to come into the first team reckoning! We may see one or two inconsistant performances by going with younger players but short term loss for medium term gain.

offshorehibby
08-04-2011, 06:15 AM
i'd hope he gets a few starts between now and the end of the season, get a better idea of his potential.

Part/Time Supporter
08-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Stephens never played for Norwich in the league...

number9dream
08-04-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm sure Stephens will get a few more games before the end of the season but who else can CC have a look at - Divis, Horner?
Vaz Te should be busting a gut to win a contract but not sure about anyone else.
The manager must have made his mind up about his squad by now.

Stevie Reid
08-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm sure CC wouldn't have played him at Parkhead if he didn't think he had potential. With his attributes I'd be very suprised if he doesn't make the grade at SPL level.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I dont think any of us have seen much of Stephens, but what we have seen is a quick player who's good in the air and comfortable on the ball.

We will know a lot more by the end of this season. I'd say from the fleeting glimpses i have seen, he has a chance.

offshorehibby
08-04-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm sure Stephens will get a few more games before the end of the season but who else can CC have a look at - Divis, Horner?
Vaz Te should be busting a gut to win a contract but not sure about anyone else.
The manager must have made his mind up about his squad by now.

Noticed Divis was on the bench on Wednesday, so maybe not far away from a start.

blackpoolhibs
08-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Noticed Divis was on the bench on Wednesday, so maybe not far away from a start.

I'd like to see more of Divis, Brown is steady enough but i feel he lets too many shots in that he could do better with. He does not organise the back 4, and is just an ordinary keeper. I'd like better.

BoltonHibee
08-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Does that not say a bit more about Hanlon at this stage of his career?

Hibstrooper
08-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I'd like to see more of Divis, Brown is steady enough but i feel he lets too many shots in that he could do better with. He does not organise the back 4, and is just an ordinary keeper. I'd like better.

:agree: He is no Graham Stack

Pretty Boy
08-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Agree totally.

Browns organisational and communication skills are nil. There was an incident against Hearts where Dickoh gave Brown a brutal passback and got flak but a good keeper would have screamed at him to leave it as there was no need to pass it back, a keeper like Stack in other words.

Stevie Reid
08-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Sounds like a level headed lad: -

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/If-critics-think-Stephens-will.6748264.jp?articlepage=2

Franck is God
08-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Stephens was signed for his potential not because he was ready to play first team football.

On Wednesday CC was forced into playing Stephens and Hanlon together, long term it may be our first choice centre back pairing but I'm sure he would rather use one of them and a more experienced player alongside either. I'm sure that is why Moyes was allowed to go, there was no point having a third young inexperienced centre half kicking about.

I think CC will be looking for Dickoh to sign an extended deal and also bring in a more experienced player to provide cover.

Beefster
08-04-2011, 11:59 AM

Not sure how Hanlon playing mince becomes Stephens' fault. Or are you saying that Dickoh makes Hanlon look good?

I always thought that Jones made Hogg look good right enough so anything is possible.

DH1875
08-04-2011, 05:25 PM

How does it come about that a bloke from east Lothian watches Norwich reserves :dunno:. Give the kid a chance, He's only played a handful of games and needs to be given time. With nothing to play for I'd play him every week till the end of the season, especially if Dickoh is off. Then may be we can judge him.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2011, 06:33 PM

Shaun, is that you?

Alfred E Newman
08-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Had no chance with any of the goals on wed and had a great stop within the
first 30 seconds. He might well be an ordinary goalkeeper but is reliable and certainly better than some of the clowns we have had in the past. As for Stevens, he looked out his depth at the start but improved as the game went on.

brydekirk
09-04-2011, 06:04 PM
no at the game v sheep, how did the young guy get on today ?

Col2
09-04-2011, 06:27 PM
no at the game v sheep, how did the young guy get on today ?

Neither was I but just switched on last 10 mins on BBC Alba and he got MOM so must have had a good game especially as Brown was meant to have made a lot of saves.

--------
09-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Neither was I but just switched on last 10 mins on BBC Alba and he got MOM so must have had a good game especially as Brown was meant to have made a lot of saves.

Watched the game on Alba and thought he did well. Big, strong, quick over the ground and decent in the air. Obviously a bit raw - that's to be expected since this was only his second full 90 minutes (I think?) but I've seen much worse at CH for us over the years.

He was caught out a couple of times in the second half when they were coming onto us more but by and large a decent performance. I think he has what it takes.

Bostonhibby
09-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Shaun, is that you?

Well Shaun? :greengrin Silence is deafening.

Actually pretty unlikely as the wee boy isn't aloud out at night when the reserves normally play and would probably be wired to his lap top spouting forth on all things Yammish from his shed in darkest Norfolk, just him and his sheep.

DH1875
09-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Only seen the game on Alba but got to say he looked quite good.

matty_f
09-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Every time I've seen Stephens I've thought he looked the part. There's definite potential there, and I hope he progresses into a regular first team centre half.:agree:

essexhibee
10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Would love to see David get a run in the team...show us what he is all about. I think he is going to be a better player than Dickho who is a bit of a bombscare but Caldo may think a defence of Hanlon and Stephens is too young and too risky.

Go on David go prove yourself, Yogi never gave you the chance as with much youth. :aok:

--------
10-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Would love to see David get a run in the team...show us what he is all about. I think he is going to be a better player than Dickho who is a bit of a bombscare but Caldo may think a defence of Hanlon and Stephens is too young and too risky.

Go on David go prove yourself, Yogi never gave you the chance as with much youth. :aok:

Yup. If you're good enough, you're old enough. he needs games, and he needs experience. Between now and the end of the season we have six games where he could be given a run; even if CC decides he wants more experience in the position, we now know we have a more than adequate first reserve.

I was well impressed by the lad.

jax67
10-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Yet any Norwich fans commenting on their forum when he signed for us were disappointed that he left.

The 2/3 times I've seen him he looks very promising

Ive seen him twice, i like what i see, composure, two footed and his distribution is good for a young aspiring centre half, very promising.