PDA

View Full Version : Horror movies you would let your kids watch

sleeping giant
06-04-2011, 09:25 PM
My boy is going on and on about me letting him watch a proper horror film but he's only 11.

I was watching hammer house of horror and the horror double bill on friday nights when i was his age:greengrin

I do not want t leave his disturbed and was thinking along the lines of Salems Lot !

Any other ideas of any good clean horror films ?
Exorcist and Omen are a bit much i think !

SRHibs
06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Poltergeist.:thumbsup:

Wembley67
06-04-2011, 09:38 PM

You having a ****ing laugh!?! For a kid - proper mental :greengrin

Wembley67
06-04-2011, 09:39 PM
My boy is going on and on about me letting him watch a proper horror film but he's only 11.

I was watching hammer house of horror and the horror double bill on friday nights when i was his age:greengrin

I do not want t leave his disturbed and was thinking along the lines of Salems Lot !

Oh and you are ****ing mental as well...Salems Lot!! :greengrin

Removed
06-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I watched H20 last week and totally shat myself. I told the kids the following morning and showed them a pic of Michael Myers with a big knife on my phone and the Mrs went totally radge at me :faf:

sleeping giant
06-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Oh and you are ****ing mental as well...Salems Lot!! :greengrin

The bit with the wee dead boy floating outside the window:faint:

ArabHibee
06-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Nightmare on elm street.

Removed
06-04-2011, 10:22 PM
The bit with the wee dead boy floating outside the window:faint:

Does he like animals? Try Pet Semetary :devil:

sleeping giant
06-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Nightmare on elm street.

Good call. I'll run it past the wife:agree:

Allant1981
06-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Watch freddys dead if you watching any of the elm street films, part of it is in 3d

The_Horde
06-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Candy man

Westie1875
06-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Nightmare on elm street.

Are you kidding? I would have thought that wouldl give a kid nightmares forever, it still scares me now , plays with the mind. :shocked:

I'd go for some sort of slasher movie like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer, more comical than scary at points IMO.

Steve-O
07-04-2011, 08:18 AM
I think I'd watched Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday The 13th and many many others before I was even 10 years old. Never actually did me any harm whatsoever (nae cheeky comments :wink:) - I think too much is made of this sort of thing as I was never 'affected' negatively by watching such films.

If anything, watching all of these films just made me grow up with a love of films that continues to this day, including horror.

I recommend The Hills Have Eyes (remake)...quality :agree:

Woody1985
07-04-2011, 08:27 AM
I let my girlfriends 5 year old watch the thing with me when she was out because she wouldn't go to her room.

She thought the dog we had at the time was part of the 'creature'.

The missus wasn't happy!

Woody1985
07-04-2011, 08:28 AM
;2774579']Candy man

Do you still look in the mirror and check over your shoulder after you watch it? :greengrin

Steve-O
07-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I let my girlfriends 5 year old watch the thing with me when she was out because she wouldn't go to her room.

The missus wasn't happy!

Another that I definitely watched before I was 10.

Great film as well by the way :agree:

.Sean.
07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
I remember watching Pet Semetary when I was about 9 and being terrified.

Gatecrasher
07-04-2011, 11:45 AM
in used to ***** myself at that film :greengrin

my dad used to let me watch predtor from an early age, not really a horror film but was quite scary :agree:

Ritchie
07-04-2011, 12:12 PM

i'd suggest you tell him to wait till he's older.

i managed to talk my mum into letting me watch nightmare on elm street when i was about 11 and it totally ****ed my head up!

for the next year or so i couldnt sleep with the light off and had night terrors.

bad idea!

suppose it will affect everyone differently though!

Jay
07-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Good call. I'll run it past the wife:agree:

Really? Watch it again yourself first SG. Gotta say I wouldnt even be considering letting my 11 year watch any of them. Spoof ones yeah (maybe)but not real ones.

EH6 Hibby
07-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Nightmare on elm street.

I had a sadistic older brother and sister who enjoyed watching Horror films when we were younger and I watched both these films when I was under 10, I had nightmares for years and still can't watch horror films, I would honestly start with something like Scream or something like that before going on to these kinds of films. Even I coped with Scream. :greengrin

sleeping giant
07-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Really? Watch it again yourself first SG. Gotta say I wouldnt even be considering letting my 11 year watch any of them. Spoof ones yeah (maybe)but not real ones.

I know i know. Poltergeist is a PG though.

He's been at me for months now about watching one. He wants to be scared:greengrin

I'm thinking of going with Poltergeist as i remember being petrified when i watched it.

I realise that some folk might think i'm a terrible parent but ,like i said previously, i was watching horror double bills when i was his age.My mum would let me stay up late on the friday to watch them.

I've got Poltergeist, Salems Lot and Nightmare on Elm St but you might be right about Freddy.

Removed
07-04-2011, 09:18 PM
I know i know. Poltergeist is a PG though.

He's been at me for months now about watching one. He wants to be scared:greengrin

I'm thinking of going with Poltergeist as i remember being petrified when i watched it.

I realise that some folk might think i'm a terrible parent but ,like i said previously, i was watching horror double bills when i was his age.My mum would let me stay up late on the friday to watch them.

I've got Poltergeist, Salems Lot and Nightmare on Elm St but you might be right about Freddy.

Looking at some of the folk who sit around you in the FF I'm sure he'll be ok :wink:

sleeping giant
07-04-2011, 09:21 PM
What about the Shining :not worth

Removed
07-04-2011, 09:23 PM

:agree:

I've got the Howling recorded of the telly last month. Not watched it yet, any idea what that's like?

sleeping giant
07-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Looking at some of the folk who sit around you in the FF I'm sure he'll be ok :wink:

Aye there is a few mutants in our support:agree:

Jay
07-04-2011, 09:40 PM
I dont think you are a bad parent SG.

I wouldnt let my 14 year old watch a horror as I know I wouldnt be allowed to sleep for at least a fortnight because of the nightmares he would have, thats if he managed to get to sleep in the first place! He cant want CSI crimescene!
My oldest is 15 and has been watching horrors for a few years and can deal with them no probs. I never encouraged it and being a jessie myself never sat down to watch one with him but he has sky movies in his room so he chose to watch them.

Its down to the kids themselves and how they will be able to handle it - poltergeist is probably one of the best if you are going down that route in my opinion.

I watched all the horrors when I was about 13 or 14 - we rented videos from the garage everytime someone had a free hoose :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
I mind watching some zombie films when I was younger and that film about the giant ants 'Them'?

Poltergeist is probably a good shout but he might no want any toys in his room after it :greengrin

No way would I say Salems Lot - I still won't watch it :hilarious

Removed
07-04-2011, 09:53 PM
I dont think you are a bad parent SG.

I wouldnt let my 14 year old watch a horror as I know I wouldnt be allowed to sleep for at least a fortnight because of the nightmares he would have, thats if he managed to get to sleep in the first place! He cant want CSI crimescene!
My oldest is 15 and has been watching horrors for a few years and can deal with them no probs. I never encouraged it and being a jessie myself never sat down to watch one with him but he has sky movies in his room so he chose to watch them.

Its down to the kids themselves and how they will be able to handle it - poltergeist is probably one of the best if you are going down that route in my opinion.

I watched all the horrors when I was about 13 or 14 - we rented videos from the garage everytime someone had a free hoose :greengrin

If I was 15 and had Sky tv in my bedroom I wouldn't be watching horror films :wink:

Jay
07-04-2011, 09:58 PM
If I was 15 and had Sky tv in my bedroom I wouldn't be watching horror films :wink:

What would you be watching? :confused:

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-04-2011, 10:06 PM

The missus wasn't happy!

One of my all time favourites that, John Carpenters, The Thing. :agree:

Watched it for the 1st time in 1st year at school, would have been late 1982 so must have just been released out on video at the time and one of the teachers had to go out of the class and be physically sick. :greengrin

A prequel is out in the cinema later this year. There is also a remake of another of my favourite horror films, Fright Night, out later this year.

My 10 year old doesn't share my passion of horror films. The wife and I were watching the remake of Nightmare on Elm Street recently and she came through to get a glass of water, we said she could stay up and watch the film, but she said no, probably for the best, it was a rubbish remake anyway, better to watch the original. :greengrin

Pete
07-04-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm not sure a lot of these older films people mention would have the same impact on a youngster nowadays. In my day Freddie Krueger, Halloween, The excorcist etc... were all terrifying because people weren't exposed to a lot of similar stuff.
Nowadays kids have some pretty scary tv shows, lots of video games and the world at their fingertips through their smartphones...all before they are into double figures.
As adults we are still scared of these films because we can appreciate the ideas behind them or still have the memories of when they were scary to us but I don't think they'd cut the mustard with todays youth. I'm not sure a crab walk down a flight of stairs is as scary as it was a few decades ago.
I'm not a big movie fan but I'd be more worried about letting a youngster watch a modern horror film than I would a classic. The new ones by design are surely there to disturb the mind more than ever as film making has to get more extreme to survive, attract attention and in turn, box-office dollars.

Andy Bee
08-04-2011, 08:04 AM

I had the same prob with the wee man, I blame the video games :agree: I ended up getting three of his mates round for a sleepover and started them off with Sean of the Dead which they loved then put Nightmare on Elm Street on, they lasted 10 minutes, the real nightmare was me trying to cope with four lil gits tuned to the moon on sleepover food.

Mibbes Aye
08-04-2011, 06:17 PM

The Shining is a great, great film. One of those ones that you can stumble across flicking through the channels and find yourself watching all the way through (Goodfellas seems to be equally guilty on that count).

A lot of it is adult though - not 'scary' adult, just themes that adults would pick up more readily. I found "Christine" scarier, growing up although now that seems laughable - I think 'Father Ted' did for that with Dougal's view of Herbie, "... a car with a mind of its own Ted!!!")

Keeping in a Stephen King vein, would 'Carrie' still be scary for 11-year olds? It looks dated now but the end shot is still a beauty.

Agree with peterdouglas - a lot of desensitisation has gone on. The best horror needs subtlety. I would be tempted to go with "The Thing" :agree:

(Not strictly related - my son loves the fly-on-the-wall police programmes - "Cops With Cameras"; "Traffic Cops" etc etc. Are they even scarier? :greengrin)

sleeping giant
09-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Well we watched Nightmare on Elm Street last night and it didn't scare him in the slightest.
Infact he was more scared at the prospect of watching it than the film itself.

Poltergeist next i think:greengrin

--------
09-04-2011, 01:31 PM

:agree:

I was going to suggest Tremors, or Lake Placid, or The Fog.

Something you can laugh about afterwards.

(Mind you, the old wumman's language in Lake Placid would probably count it out at that age....)