PDA

View Full Version : Where will Derek Riordan be playing next season

Winston Ingram
06-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I believe he wants to stay but I can't see Rod sanctioning the renewal of his contract on the same/increased terms but similarly I can't see Deeks accepting a pay cut.

Though I'd like him to stay I don't feel we've had value for money for him and could probably get 2 or more players in that could more than match his contribution for the same weekly cost.

To me it points to him leaving but I'm struggling to see where he would go as in the form of the last couple of seasons wouldn't hold down a place at the Ugly sisters. No other clubs in the SPL IMO have the cash to pay the wages (I include the twats across the City but that's never stopped them before)

I'd be stunned if a Premiership club came in for him so that leaves the Championship or lower...or abroad. That said, I'm not to sure he's keen on leaving Scotland.

All in all I'm stumped:confused:

.Sean.
06-04-2011, 09:14 PM
McCoist has supposedly drawn up a list of targets if the takeover doesn't go through, it wouldn't surprise me if Riordan's name is on this.

essexhibee
06-04-2011, 09:30 PM
One year contract on reduced wages. Deserves nothing more as he has been awful for months now and is offering nothing. I dont think many clubs are going to be interested in Derek at the moment.

As Sean raff said on another thread...I wouldn't be half as gutted as I was when he first left.

Hibstrooper
06-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Upfront :wink:

No but seriously though I have no idea

H113EE5
06-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Who cares?

Winston Ingram
06-04-2011, 09:33 PM
One year contract on reduced wages. Deserves nothing more as he has been awful for months now and is offering nothing. I dont think many clubs are going to be interested in Derek at the moment.

As Sean raff said on another thread...I wouldn't be half as gutted as I was when he first left.

I can't say I'd be disappointed if he left. I am disappointed in how drastically his career has deteriorated

Winston Ingram
06-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Upfront :wink:

No but seriously though I have no idea

If he was to stay that's the last place I'd be playing him. I think he's proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that he's not a striker.

Back to the left hand side would hopefully mean a return to form:agree:

steakbake
06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
McCoist has supposedly drawn up a list of targets if the takeover doesn't go through, it wouldn't surprise me if Riordan's name is on this.

Yes, if Rangers have no cash, they might go for Riordan but I reckon there are a fair few people further up their list. So I'd be surprised if it was to either cheek of the OF erse.

If he goes, I would imagine a North of England based club or possibly Aberdeen or Dundee Utd at a push. That covers a few options, I realise. Bottom line - don't think he'll be off to the EPL or a top team abroad.

hibee4life1983
06-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Blackpool.

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-04-2011, 09:53 PM
You could see an obscure Turkish or Russian club netting him with a lucrative offer.

Bobby's Cinema
06-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Who cares?
:rolleyes:

Winston Ingram
06-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Who cares?

Not sure if I do

500miles
06-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I think he'll remain at Hibs. I doubt he will feature so prominantly if CC gets his signings right.

Rattler
06-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Personally, think he'll either remain where he belongs (at Easter Road) or head off to sunnier or richer climes for a year or 2????

Riordans Boots
06-04-2011, 11:52 PM

:confused: How many months are you talking here ?

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Hibernian-2--0-St.6709643.jp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9384278.stm

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/Hibs-20-St-Mirren-Hibs.6710069.jp

Septimus
07-04-2011, 06:24 AM
Who cares?

My sentiments exactly.

Golden Bear
07-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Who cares?

:agree:

I was looking for that option as well.

Allant1981
07-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Think if he really wanted to sign he would have done so already, looks as though he hopes to get a better deal elsewhere. If he does sign a new contract i think we will be his back up club

WindyMiller
07-04-2011, 08:19 AM
Think if he really wanted to sign he would have done so already, looks as though he hopes to get a better deal elsewhere. If he does sign a new contract i think we will be his back up club

Baldy Foghorn
07-04-2011, 08:24 AM
What exactly has DR brought to the table this season? He looks well off the pace, and struts around with a shocking attitude who moans at all and sundry..... Soem think he is the best thing since sliced bread, but he is not the same player that shat on us to go to Celtic the first time around.....

Winston Ingram
07-04-2011, 09:39 AM
What exactly has DR brought to the table this season? He looks well off the pace, and struts around with a shocking attitude who moans at all and sundry..... Soem think he is the best thing since sliced bread, but he is not the same player that shat on us to go to Celtic the first time around.....

This

.Sean.
07-04-2011, 11:42 AM
What exactly has DR brought to the table this season? He looks well off the pace, and struts around with a shocking attitude who moans at all and sundry..... Soem think he is the best thing since sliced bread, but he is not the same player that shat on us to go to Celtic the first time around.....Excellent post BF.

If he wants to stay, he stays on our terms. Not his.

Bad Martini
07-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Am no defending Riordan...I think he's been well of the boil for a couple of months now and that's undeniable to be honest.

That said, if HE is so bad, what the **** does that say for the rest of our team, particularly our "forwards" / "strikers" / "goal-scorers".

Exhibit A does not lie - goal scorers:
Riordan 10
Miller 5
Bamba 2
De Graaf 2
Dickoh 2

I wouldnae deny Deek has been far below the level he should be for a long time. But, he's no the only one. So, do we get rid of our entire forward line? Maybe we do. But, what we have here is...an odd situation:
...when Deek does well, scores ****ers and rattles them in he's "doing what's expected".
...when Deek is *****, unlike the rest of the team...he's singled out. An odd situation.

For me, I dont know the answer. That said, Im no paid to know thus giving me cart blanche to moan like **** and/or support who I like, when I like. :na na::devil:

I reckon he just needs a couple of goals and he'll finish the season strongly....

We'll find oot. Still, we can always rely on the rest of our "forwards" to score can't we...?

Ahem.

Yep.

Rest ma case.

ENDOF

Gatecrasher
07-04-2011, 11:54 AM
i dont think he will be at Hibs next season, I would like him to stay but on what we can afford and no more

McKenzie
07-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Who cares?
im with this guy :agree:

DH1875
07-04-2011, 06:02 PM
If he was staying the deal would have been done by now and CC would have told us last night. Only other team in the SPL he might be at next season is Rangers. He's not good enough for the EPL so reckon he's championship bound.

HenryMonk
07-04-2011, 06:44 PM
frazerbob will be hoping hes punted to dunfermilne were he runs a pub now!! cos fraz has been well punted fae edin.

:aok:

:na na:

silverhibee
07-04-2011, 06:52 PM

What has any player brought to the table this season.

Beefster
07-04-2011, 06:54 PM
What has any player brought to the table this season.

"He's only been as pish as the rest of them" isn't much of a defence.

We don't keep hearing how the rest of them are the most naturally gifted players at the club in years either.

Winston Ingram
07-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Am no defending Riordan...I think he's been well of the boil for a couple of months now and that's undeniable to be honest.

That said, if HE is so bad, what the **** does that say for the rest of our team, particularly our "forwards" / "strikers" / "goal-scorers".

Exhibit A does not lie - goal scorers:
Riordan 10
Miller 5
Bamba 2
De Graaf 2
Dickoh 2

I wouldnae deny Deek has been far below the level he should be for a long time. But, he's no the only one. So, do we get rid of our entire forward line? Maybe we do. But, what we have here is...an odd situation:
...when Deek does well, scores ****ers and rattles them in he's "doing what's expected".
...when Deek is *****, unlike the rest of the team...he's singled out. An odd situation.

For me, I dont know the answer. That said, Im no paid to know thus giving me cart blanche to moan like **** and/or support who I like, when I like. :na na::devil:

I reckon he just needs a couple of goals and he'll finish the season strongly....

We'll find oot. Still, we can always rely on the rest of our "forwards" to score can't we...?

Ahem.

Yep.

Rest ma case.

ENDOF

A couple of months? He's be ****in gash all season and he's been nowhere near the standard of player he was since he returned.

I'm no from the extremely old school of he's a goalscorer so he must play.

To think the amount of time he's lost possession, been offside, dangled a leg at a pass, berated a team mate for something that was his fault and generally put in **** all effort is worth Hibs effectively playing with 10 men because once in every 4 games he might contribute is incredibly skewed logic

silverhibee
07-04-2011, 07:09 PM
"He's only been as pish as the rest of them" isn't much of a defence.

We don't keep hearing how the rest of them are the most naturally gifted players at the club in years either.

How not, a poor midfield who have not created many chances for the strikers over the season, a poor defence who have not done there job this season, and goalies(apart from Stack) having a nightmare, and strikers that have had to feed of the scraps that have come there way.
It has been a poor season for everyone involved at Hibs, not just Riordan.

Removed
07-04-2011, 07:13 PM
How not, a poor midfield who have not created many chances for the strikers over the season, a poor defence who have not done there job this season, and goalies(apart from Stack) having a nightmare, and strikers that have had to feed of the scraps that have come there way.

You going to vote :greengrin

Beefster
07-04-2011, 07:27 PM

It's a bit like me saying at work "I know I've been rubbish, boss, but so has Tommy so don't moan at me".

Someone posted today that Riordan has had more shots than anyone else in the SPL. That doesn't suggest feeding from scraps but does suggest that he should be scoring more.

I'm not suggesting that other players have been better either. I'm suggesting that Riordan needs to do better for the wages he receives. He's one of the highest earners at the club.

silverhibee
07-04-2011, 07:43 PM
It's a bit like me saying at work "I know I've been rubbish, boss, but so has Tommy so don't moan at me".

Someone posted today that Riordan has had more shots than anyone else in the SPL. That doesn't suggest feeding from scraps but does suggest that he should be scoring more.

I'm not suggesting that other players have been better either. I'm suggesting that Riordan needs to do better for the wages he receives. He's one of the highest earners at the club.

I am sure if you were to ask him he would be the first to admit it has not been his best season he has had, but players do lose form/ go of the boil, it happens to the best of them, just look at Torres at Chelsea, probaly the best paid player in the EPL and still hasn't scored a goal for them, do you think Chelsea will be writing him of yet.

silverhibee
07-04-2011, 07:47 PM
You going to vote :greengrin

What, and spoil all the fun. :greengrin

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 07:50 PM
This could prove you wrong... Derek Riordan 80 shots 46 on target this season in the SPL,
proves that the midfield did create chances for...well for one striker at least!:wink:
You can't blame them for him only getting 10 goals.

Westie1875
07-04-2011, 08:02 PM
What, and spoil all the fun. :greengrin

Come on, you know you want to :greengrin

silverhibee
07-04-2011, 08:10 PM
This could prove you wrong... Derek Riordan 80 shots 46 on target this season in the SPL,
proves that the midfield did create chances for...well for one striker at least!:wink:

These chances could have been created from strikers defenders or the goalie, :greengrin

And it just goes to show how good the opposition goalkeepers have been this season against us. :wink: :greengrin

Booked4Being-Ugly
07-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I am sure if you were to ask him he would be the first to admit it has not been his best season he has had, but players do lose form/ go of the boil, it happens to the best of them, just look at Torres at Chelsea, probaly the best paid player in the EPL and still hasn't scored a goal for them, do you think Chelsea will be writing him of yet.Torres is not the player he was and is only living on past achievements, fact, end of, over and out! :devil:

Removed
07-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Torres is not the player he was and is only living on past achievements, fact, end of, over and out! :devil:

Torres & Riordan upfront for Blackpool next season in the Championship then :agree:

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Torres & Riordan upfront for Blackpool next season in the Championship then :agree:
With Nish on the bench :wink:

Booked4Being-Ugly
07-04-2011, 08:29 PM
With Nish on the bench :wink:Now that's just rediculous! :wink:

RIP
08-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Interesting that 65% of folk who voted think Deeks won't be at Hibs next season

Wonder if anybody is running a book

Hope Petrie's not reading this - it won't help Derek's contract negotiations that's for sure

McArthur to Petrie - "Better get him signed up - you know that Derek's Mr Hibs - the fans will be up in arms if he's allowed to leave"

Petrie to McArthur "Really Jim - you haven't seen the latest poll then - two thirds of Hibs fans who voted seem to believe that he won't even be at Hibs next season. How many placards have you seen?"

Removed
08-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Hope Petrie's not reading this - it won't help Derek's contract negotiations that's for sure

McArthur to Petrie - "Better get him signed up - you know that Derek's Mr Hibs - the fans will be up in arms if he's allowed to leave"

Petrie to McArthur "Really Jim - you haven't seen the latest poll then - two thirds of Hibs fans who voted seem to believe that he won't even be at Hibs next season. How many placards have you seen?"

McArthur to Petrie "Have you not heard the singing section Rod? :singing: Petrie, Petrie, sign him up, Petrie, Sign him up :singing:"

marinello59
08-04-2011, 09:27 AM
McArthur to Petrie "Have you not heard the singing section Rod? :singing: Petrie, Petrie, sign him up, Petrie, Sign him up :singing:"

Petrie to McArhur -- I did hear them. Oh ****. I just signed Skacel.

:devil:

Beefster
08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I am sure if you were to ask him he would be the first to admit it has not been his best season he has had, but players do lose form/ go of the boil, it happens to the best of them, just look at Torres at Chelsea, probaly the best paid player in the EPL and still hasn't scored a goal for them, do you think Chelsea will be writing him of yet.

Hence the reason why I'm not fussed if he stays or goes any more than the rest of them and why I don't think we should be breaking the bank to keep him.

We've had three seasons from him since his return. It took him almost the first season to get his fitness up to standard, him and Stokes were great together for most of the second season and he's been poor this season. It's not a popular view on here but he's not the same player who left for Celtic.

The_Sauz
08-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Now that's just rediculous! :wink:
How about boot cleaner for the team then :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
08-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Seen deeks this morning driving down ferry road about 10am, is the spartans ground not near there?:wink:

allezsauzee
08-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I think he'll be on his way sadly and given that he's scored 30% of our goals this season, I think we should care where he's playing next season

The Sea-gull
08-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Tough one.

Won't be Celtic, maybe Rangers but that says more about the level they are dealing at than Deeks himself.

As he is a free, despite a poor season from him, there will be teams willing to take a chance on him and Rangers could be one.

You would actually say Hearts would be a shout if it wasn't Deeks we were talking about but never say never in football.

Doubt Houston would fancy him or be able to afford him at Utd same with Brown at Aberdeen. Can't see anywere else in Scotland he'll go to.

Championship maybe. Middlesborough with Mogga but then apparently he never rated him..................

Winston Ingram
09-04-2011, 07:36 AM

I personally hope he is reading this. I would hate him to feel he had to spurt the bugdet that could get us 3 good players because he feared a fan backlash. This thread demonstrates there won't be. Some fans may be up in arms, the 12th man no doubt will. The rest however aren't that fussed as he has been ****in appalling for 18 months. By all means Rod keep him, but only if his contract is in line with the other players

Franck is God
09-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Tough one.

Won't be Celtic, maybe Rangers but that says more about the level they are dealing at than Deeks himself.

As he is a free, despite a poor season from him, there will be teams willing to take a chance on him and Rangers could be one.

You would actually say Hearts would be a shout if it wasn't Deeks we were talking about but never say never in football.

Doubt Houston would fancy him or be able to afford him at Utd same with Brown at Aberdeen. Can't see anywere else in Scotland he'll go to.

Championship maybe. Middlesborough with Mogga but then apparently he never rated him..................

If he doesn't stay at Hibs then he will have to leave Scotland, he is already one of our top earners and as many think (myself included) that if he is offered a new deal it will be on less money than he currently gets it will still put him in the top earner bracket of any other SPL club outwith the old firm.

Most teams fans/managers expect a minimum 8 out of 10 performance from their top paid players every week not just something a bit special every 3 or 4 games which is why I can't see too many clubs making him offers. There might be a few teams in the lower end of the Championship or top end of league one that would have a budget to take him on as a third or fourth striker to make an impression from the bench.

He had his big chance at Celtic but clearly didn't have the attitude or desire to put in a shift every time he walked on to the pitch which is what you need to play at the highest level. If you can't do it for a team that generally has 60% possession of the ball in every game and creates more scoring opportunities than most then I'm afraid you're simply not good enough. And before anyone says Strachan didn't like him, he signed him and never stopped praising his ability, the reason he didn't play was that he couldn't be relied upon to give 100%.

TornadoHibby
09-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Heard someone the other day saying that there may have been some interest from a Spanish team which is potentially financially attractive! :boo hoo:

Not La Liga though apparently! :wink: :confused:

No idea if accurate or not though! :rolleyes: :greengrin

Hibs On Tour
09-04-2011, 07:20 PM

Pash! Proves absolutely nothing other than what it says - that he had X shots and Y were on target. These could have been chances created by midfielders, they could have been created by defenders, they could even have been created out of nothing by Riordan himself. Not saying one or the other, just that your arguement doesn't hold water.

Hibs On Tour
09-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Hence the reason why I'm not fussed if he stays or goes any more than the rest of them and why I don't think we should be breaking the bank to keep him.

We've had three seasons from him since his return. It took him almost the first season to get his fitness up to standard, him and Stokes were great together for most of the second season and we've been poor this season. It's not a popular view on here but he's not the same player who left for Celtic.

Fixed that for you...

Hibs On Tour
09-04-2011, 07:27 PM
For me, its clear he's not had a good season but you can't argue with the FACTS. In a season that NONE of us would argue was anything other than rank ****ing rotten, DR has had more shots than any other striker in the SPL [which at least suggests he's trying] and of these has managed to get more than half on target [which is better than a lot of his peers]. He's also managed to get more than a 1/3rd of our total goal haul and top our assists charts.

Yeah, our team would certainly be better off without him...

*IF* we can get someone who would score 20+ goals a season, why not play then *with* DR instead of replacing hmmm....? Get rid of the huddies like Duffy for starters - our better players like DR should be way further down the list for getting shot of than MANY more of those at Hibs.

GGTTH

down-the-slope
09-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Someone posted today that Riordan has had more shots than anyone else in the SPL. That doesn't suggest feeding from scraps but does suggest that he should be passing more.

Fixed your error :greengrin

Beefster
09-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Fixed that for you...

Thanks but my original post was exactly what I meant it to be.

Just because Hibs have been rubbish doesn't give one of our highest paid players and the 'most naturally gifted Hibs player in a generation' a free pass. To add to the argument against a free pass, Hibs haven't been particularly pish since January but Riordan has.

Hibs On Tour
09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks but my original post was exactly what I meant it to be.

Just because Hibs have been rubbish doesn't give one of our highest paid players and the 'most naturally gifted Hibs player in a generation' a free pass. To add to the argument against a free pass, Hibs haven't been particularly pish since January but Riordan has.

Not suggesting he gets a "free pass" as you put it. Just lets not chase one of our best players out of the door for failing along with the rest of the team no? Season's are judged, strangely enough, over a season - not over this convenient period for X poster or that convenient period for Y poster. Over the course of this season we HAVE been pish.

I just think there is room between this mythical "free pass" you mention and somehow slating a player for seemingly not single-handedly pulling us out of the mire...

matty_f
09-04-2011, 10:43 PM
For me, its clear he's not had a good season but you can't argue with the FACTS. In a season that NONE of us would argue was anything other than rank ****ing rotten, DR has had more shots than any other striker in the SPL [which at least suggests he's trying] and of these has managed to get more than half on target [which is better than a lot of his peers]. He's also managed to get more than a 1/3rd of our total goal haul and top our assists charts.

Yeah, our team would certainly be better off without him...

*IF* we can get someone who would score 20+ goals a season, why not play then *with* DR instead of replacing hmmm....? Get rid of the huddies like Duffy for starters - our better players like DR should be way further down the list for getting shot of than MANY more of those at Hibs.

GGTTH

Why is the 20 goals a season figure always mentioned? Derek's done that twice in his career, and not in 5 years.

In period since Sodje joined, Sodje has now outscored Riordan. I reckon Riordan's probably had more chances, too.

I don't doubt that Riordan's form has just dipped a bit and that he's better than the stats suggest, but it does my head in how he's talked up as some super-prolific striker who we cannot survive without, when it's clearly not the case.

Hibs On Tour
11-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Why is the 20 goals a season figure always mentioned? Derek's done that twice in his career, and not in 5 years.

In period since Sodje joined, Sodje has now outscored Riordan. I reckon Riordan's probably had more chances, too.

I don't doubt that Riordan's form has just dipped a bit and that he's better than the stats suggest, but it does my head in how he's talked up as some super-prolific striker who we cannot survive without, when it's clearly not the case.

I mention it as some people seem to think there would be no problem a] finding one and b] them wanting to come to Hibs...

Cannot survive without? Last season without his goals we wouldn't have been top 6 most likely, this season we would be relegation candidates.

All I am saying is lets ADD to the team instead of replacing with one hand while taking away with the other...

Phil MaGlass
11-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Would be good to see hibs sign a decent striker to compliment deeks,

smurf
11-04-2011, 09:44 AM

If Derek leaves we will be ok. I've no doubt about that.

However, if Derek was currently at Aberdeen or Dundee Utd and having had the season he's had i would imagine the majority of us would still be excited at the possibility of getting him at ER in the summer.

Because at the end of the day he's a quality player in an environment not full of them.

Beefster
11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I mention it as some people seem to think there would be no problem a] finding one and b] them wanting to come to Hibs...

Cannot survive without? Last season without his goals we wouldn't have been top 6 most likely, this season we would be relegation candidates.

All I am saying is lets ADD to the team instead of replacing with one hand while taking away with the other...

That argument assumes that Riordan's goals are not replaced at all. It doesn't work like that.

You'd be as well saying that, if we hadn't played a goalkeeper all season, we'd probably have been relegated by now.

The Modfather
11-04-2011, 11:30 AM
That argument assumes that Riordan's goals are not replaced at all. It doesn't work like that.

You'd be as well saying that, if we hadn't played a goalkeeper all season, we'd probably have been relegated by now.

We might even have been a few places higher :greengrin:devil:

Winston Ingram
11-04-2011, 10:01 PM
If Derek leaves we will be ok. I've no doubt about that.

However, if Derek was currently at Aberdeen or Dundee Utd and having had the season he's had i would imagine the majority of us would still be excited at the possibility of getting him at ER in the summer.

Because at the end of the day he's a quality player in an environment not full of them.

No if he was playin as ***** as he is now

matty_f
11-04-2011, 10:49 PM

No if he was playin as ***** as he is now

Going on their respective strike rates since the start of the year, if Sodje had been here since the start of the season and not Deek, we'd potentially be top 6 this season.

We looked likely to be relegation fodder when we were reliant on Deek. Go figure.

smurf
11-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Form is temporary. Class permanent.