PDA

View Full Version : Riordan (again)

Frazerbob
06-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Chic "Any progress with a new contract for Riordan"?

CC "Yes"

The Harp Awakes
06-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Chic "Any progress with a new contract for Riordan"?

CC "Yes"

Hope so. Deek is struggling for form just now but is a class act and we need to keep him.

If you ask the question, could we get a more natural goalscorer for the wages we pay him, the answer has to be 'no chance'.

madabouthibs
06-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I hate Riordan contract talks. We went through all this pish with Mowbray, just sign him FFS!!! :confused:

green.and.white
06-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Hope so. Deek is struggling for form just now but is a class act and we need to keep him.

If you ask the question, could we get a more natural goalscorer for the wages we pay him, the answer has to be 'no chance'.

That is exactly why we should sign him up, he may be frustrating, but he can finish, players with his ability don't come round often for SPL teams

seanraff07
06-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Obviously i don't want him to leave but i wouldn't be gutted like i was the first time round if he was to leave.

Callum_62
06-04-2011, 09:10 PM
That doesnt exactly indicate that the progess makes Deeks closer to signing a deal.

Could easily mean he has decided to try his luck elsewhere.

essexhibee
06-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Id only offer him a one year contract on reduced wages. He's been awful this season and I don't think clubs will be lining up for him.

.Sean.
06-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Obviously i don't want him to leave but i wouldn't be gutted like i was the first time round if he was to leave.Sums up my feelings too.

moggie
06-04-2011, 09:22 PM
The excuses are running out for him rapidly.

smurf
06-04-2011, 11:00 PM
The anti Riordan brigade are something else..

Who in the SPL has had more shots at goal than any other player this season?

Hope he Signs. We are better with him and weaker without him.

Riordans Boots
06-04-2011, 11:28 PM

Thank it's no just me then :agree: :thumbsup:

Heckys Wheel
07-04-2011, 12:28 AM

You know the end is nigh when the pro-Riordan brigade change their mantra from "20 goals a season" to "Shots at goal".

Does the one that went out for a throw on Sunday count as a shot at goal?

WellingtonHibby
07-04-2011, 01:47 AM

Pish: The answer has to be YES. All this talk of natrual talent is old news now. He is 27/28 and can no longer be talked about in those terms. Talent is a starting point, it must be developed and worked on over years, I read somewhere that to fully realise talent it takes 10,000 hours of dedicated practise. His talent is waning. He is not the player he was 5-6 years ago and is going downhill fast. I think we could easily sign a striker on his wages that will bang in 20+ for us a season.

soupy
07-04-2011, 05:12 AM
Pish: The answer has to be YES. All this talk of natrual talent is old news now. He is 27/28 and can no longer be talked about in those terms. Talent is a starting point, it must be developed and worked on over years, I read somewhere that to fully realise talent it takes 10,000 hours of dedicated practise. His talent is waning. He is not the player he was 5-6 years ago and is going downhill fast. I think we could easily sign a striker on his wages that will bang in 20+ for us a season.

Easily,,,,, are you sure???

Heckys Wheel
07-04-2011, 05:39 AM

No idea what his wages are but we've already proved we can sign a striker in our wage structure who will get us 20+ goals a season.

However, surely a more relevant question would be, can we get a striker on DR's wages who will score as many or more goals than him in a season. At that, you would have to look at the last 2 seasons and the answer would almost certainly be yes.

WellingtonHibby
07-04-2011, 06:07 AM
Easily,,,,, are you sure???

Unequivocally, I think its mentioned above but i think the money we spend on Riordan would buy us a better player and/or more consistent striker. I assume that he is somewhere near the top of the tree when it comes to cash, with the exception of, maybe, Miller. Those Maribor boys who fisted us so easily at the start of the season would jump at the chance for a package like deeks has, as would a fair few established SPL players, Higdon springs to mind, the boy Rooney ( who im not convinced isn't 85% hype, 10% ginger and 5% the real deal...) Point is, Deeks no longer merits the status of our Marquee player and the money would be better spent on a top striker, or a viable replacement and strengthening elsewhere. A nice, proper winger would do me. :aok:

Duffys13
07-04-2011, 07:32 AM

I would like to think Calderwood could sign us a player over the summer that will score goals plus bring more to the Team. I just don't see much from Riordan anymore. A real shame though.

Lofarl
07-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I would like to think Calderwood could sign us a player over the summer that will score goals plus bring more to the Team. I just don't see much from Riordan anymore. A real shame though.

I reckon we should punt riordan and use the money to buy a good box to box midfielder from the Dutch leagues.

marinello59
07-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Who qualifies for membership of the anti Riordan brigade. Do those who want him to stay but not at any cost qualify?

Duffys13
07-04-2011, 07:54 AM
I reckon we should punt riordan and use the money to buy a good box to box midfielder from the Dutch leagues.

Hughes was booted months ago mate :wink:

Craig_in_Prague
07-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Keep thinking of that sublime goal he scored earlier in the season at Celtic Park.
If that was a Larsson, Hooper, or any other Celtc runt, the media would have been creaming themselves at the time, and still would mention it all these months later too, and probably get it on as part of TV program introductions etc etc.

anyway, coz it was just Deek, nothing ever made of it.

I'm very confident that Riordan will get amongst the goals in healthy numbers if the side keep progressing and he get's into those areas he did against Hearts on Sunday...Rather than having to score goals which are more genius..... IMO, since he returned we haven't really been a side making too many chances, except perhaps at the start of Yogi's time.

Anyway,
Hope he signs and is part of the progress under CC. Not the end of the world for sure if he was to leave, but anyone that would not be happy with him signing and staying longer, well, I would find it strange.
All entitled to their opinion though.

khib70
07-04-2011, 08:05 AM
You know the end is nigh when the pro-Riordan brigade change their mantra from "20 goals a season" to "Shots at goal".

Does the one that went out for a throw on Sunday count as a shot at goal?
Exactly. We could do a lot better for what we pay him. His "finishing" is rapidly becoming a purely historical phenomenon. He's squandered a great talent and is worse than a man short most of the time. He's becoming more difficult to defend, but I see his fanclub are still attempting it.

We're trying to build for the future here. We won't do that by carrying "legends" on the basis of their youthful exploits.

Baldy Foghorn
07-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Jeez he has been pretty average this season to say the least.......Interesting that last night we looked a better outfit after DR was substituted:hmmm:

Pretty Boy
07-04-2011, 08:24 AM
If Riordan stays it has to be on our terms pure and simple. He has contributed very little this season.

Excuses have been made for him for months. Under Hughes- 'He's no a left midfielder, get him up front'. Under Calderwood- 'He's no really a forward though is he?' 20 goals a season striker? Aye in 05/06, he's just in double figures this season despite playing up front for the majority of it.

Whilst the mass shouting for him to get a new contract has died away somewhat i would ask those that continue to do so a simple question: If another player, say Adam Rooney for example, was turning in performances like Derek Riordan has done for much of this season would you be asking for him to get a new contract? Or is your judgement totally clouded because it's Derek Riordan?

jdships
07-04-2011, 08:36 AM
From the evidence in the past few months it would appear we have seen the best of DEEK :rolleyes:
Maybe the time is right to let him move on .
Won't lose any sleep if he goes :flag:

Beefster
07-04-2011, 08:37 AM

Yet he's only the 10th top scorer in the SPL, Smurf? Not a particularly great stat for someone whose main contribution to the team is goals.

Andy74
07-04-2011, 08:48 AM

We got Stokes.

I'd never class Riordan as a natural golscorer. Great striker of a ball, yes.

Part/Time Supporter
07-04-2011, 08:55 AM
We got Stokes.

I'd never class Riordan as a natural golscorer. Great striker of a ball, yes.

Riordan is a scorer of great goals, rather than a great goalscorer (ie Robertson, Boyd).

He probably has more shots in the SPL because he is far more willing than most players to try shots from the periphery of the penalty box. The problem this year is that few of them have come off.

ShanksSaidNo
07-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Since there has been quite a few mentions of 'top end wage earners' on this thread already, i thought i'd share a rather alarming truth i heard before the game on Sunday - De Graaf is the highest paid player at Hibs and he IS coming back once his loan ends.

Was also told on good authority that only2 players are going to be offered new contracts... Liam Miller and Lewis Stevenson.

Sammy7nil
07-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Id only offer him a one year contract on reduced wages. He's been awful this season and I don't think clubs will be lining up for him.

He will get far better offers elsewhere and there is NO CHANCE he would accept a one year deal. I heard he has already turned down two offers from England.

HIBS may have a few Kings but they dont hold the Ace's in this deal.

Alex Trager
07-04-2011, 11:20 AM

what does this prove? That he cant hit the back of the net anymore? That he takes more shots than anyone else and doesn't pass the ball when he should?

Sammy7nil
07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Unequivocally, I think its mentioned above but i think the money we spend on Riordan would buy us a better player and/or more consistent striker. I assume that he is somewhere near the top of the tree when it comes to cash, with the exception of, maybe, Miller. Those Maribor boys who fisted us so easily at the start of the season would jump at the chance for a package like deeks has, as would a fair few established SPL players, Higdon springs to mind, the boy Rooney ( who im not convinced isn't 85% hype, 10% ginger and 5% the real deal...) Point is, Deeks no longer merits the status of our Marquee player and the money would be better spent on a top striker, or a viable replacement and strengthening elsewhere. A nice, proper winger would do me. :aok:

Those Maribor boys may not get a work permit and from what I have read they on higher wages than Hibs players.

I would like you to have a quick look around the leagues and see

a) Who do you think would come to Hibs
b) would they come for what we can offer (We are on a par with D Utd I have heard)
c) Would they be able to perform to a high level over a number of years?

Name even 3 or 4 and I will be amazed

Golden Bear
07-04-2011, 11:45 AM
It's tomorrow's hero we need and not yesterday's man.

Thanks for the memories Deek all the same.

Booked4Being-Ugly
07-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I see the usual Riordan detractors are out in force again. Any excuse to put down our most prolific goalscorer in recent years.

So Riordan's lost it, crap, can't run, can't shoot, can't beat a man, average etc, etc yet, has scored 10 goals this season and contributed to how many others? You've also got to remember that Deeks got most of these goals whilst playing in left midfield.

Yes he's ONLY got 10 goals this season, yet people are calling for Adam Rooney or Higdon as examples of better options. Yet when you look at Rooney's record for example he has scored 13 SPL goals, of which 5 have been from the penalyy spot. Even if Deeks still took our penalties the law of averages would suggest that he would maybe of scored another 3-4 goals putting him on a par with Goodwillie, Higdon, Stokes and Rooney! I don't see many opposing fans wanting THEM punted.

Also Rooney has been poor the 2nd half of the season and he hasn't scored in the SPL since 12th Feb. If he played for Hibs we would be slating him due to our high expectations and demanding someone better.

Of course Hibs have been poor up front, although it's hardly surprising selling our best striker at special discounted rates and bringing in REAL huddies to solve our striking problems. When Deeks was moved up front who did he have to partner him, Trakys, Nish, Duffy, Sodje and now Vaz Te? You can then begin to understand how he can get frustrated. Even with the new guys Sodje and Vaz Te he's hardly had time to form a decent partnership.

Deeks is a confidence player and thrives on having other decent players around him, like Stokes last season, and O' Conner before as examples. If Deeks has to do it on his own he gets frustrated and struggles. That doesn't mean we should round on him and hound him out of Easter Road.

Then the usual suspects on here can't wait to have another go and put the boot in.

(There are a few posters on here that seem to have some personal vendetta against Riordan and can't wait to stick the knife in!)

The real fact is that it's Hibs that have been poor this season individually and collectively, not just Derek Riordan. If you actually look deeper you will see that it's the Hibs defense in particular that has let us down - we have been shocking at the back, and still are! Yet we don't see continuous threads slating the individuals responsible in defense, nor would i like to as it's counter-productive.

Interestingly, St Johnstone are a point above us in the league having scored ONLY 18 goals this season - 16 less than Hibs!

BTW - Torres hasn't scored for Chelsea yet - do you not think it's about time the Chelsea fans started to hound him out of Stamford Bridge?

soupy
07-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I see the usual Riordan detractors are out in force again. Any excuse to put down our most prolific goalscorer in recent years.

So Riordan's lost it, crap, can't run, can't shoot, can't beat a man, average etc, etc yet, has scored 10 goals this season and contributed to how many others? You've also got to remember that Deeks got most of these goals whilst playing in left midfield.

Yes he's ONLY got 10 goals this season, yet people are calling for Adam Rooney or Higdon as examples of better options. Yet when you look at Rooney's record for example he has scored 13 SPL goals, of which 5 have been from the penalyy spot. Even if Deeks still took our penalties the law of averages would suggest that he would maybe of scored another 3-4 goals putting him on a par with Goodwillie, Higdon, Stokes and Rooney! I don't see many opposing fans wanting THEM punted.

Also Rooney has been poor the 2nd half of the season and he hasn't scored in the SPL since 12th Feb. If he played for Hibs we would be slating him due to our high expectations and demanding someone better.

Of course Hibs have been poor up front, although it's hardly surprising selling our best striker at special discounted rates and bringing in REAL huddies to solve our striking problems. When Deeks was moved up front who did he have to partner him, Trakys, Nish, Duffy, Sodje and now Vaz Te? You can then begin to understand how he can get frustrated. Even with the new guys Sodje and Vaz Te he's hardly had time to form a decent partnership.

Deeks is a confidence player and thrives on having other decent players around him, like Stokes last season, and O' Conner before as examples. If Deeks has to do it on his own he gets frustrated and struggles. That doesn't mean we should round on him and hound him out of Easter Road.

Then the usual suspects on here can't wait to have another go and put the boot in.

(There are a few posters on here that seem to have some personal vendetta against Riordan and can't wait to stick the knife in!)

The real fact is that it's Hibs that have been poor this season individually and collectively, not just Derek Riordan. If you actually look deeper you will see that it's the Hibs defense in particular that has let us down - we have been shocking at the back, and still are! Yet we don't see continuous threads slating the individuals responsible in defense, nor would i like to as it's counter-productive.

Interestingly, St Johnstone are a point above us in the league having scored ONLY 18 goals this season - 16 less than Hibs!

BTW - Torres hasn't scored for Chelsea yet - do you not think it's about time the Chelsea fans started to hound him out of Stamford Bridge?

Well said......

Andy74
07-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Why is it with Riordan some people have to take things a bit personally?

He's a top earner and if we are talking about matching that or paying even more then it's fair to have a debate about whether he is worth that or not.

You also expect the best players to take the lead and stand out, not to expect only to play well if all the conditions and the players around suit perfectly.

I'm not a detractor or a hater or whatever other names get made up about this, I'm just not that fussed about whether he signs or not these days. There are times we get the beneft of him , there are others when we would probably be better using the money elsewhere.

Golden Bear
07-04-2011, 12:13 PM

He's a top earner and if we are talking about matching that or paying even more then it's fair to have a debate about whether he is worth that or not.

You also expect the best players to take the lead and stand out, not to expect only to play well if all the conditions and the players around suit perfectly.

I'm not a detractor or a hater or whatever other names get made up about this, I'm just not that fussed about whether he signs or not these days. There are times we get the beneft of him , there are others when we would probably be better using the money elsewhere.

:agree:

Spot on.

Hibs90
07-04-2011, 12:28 PM
If Riordan wants to sign, he will. If he doesn't, he won't.

smurf
07-04-2011, 12:31 PM

Thank you.

smurf
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
what does this prove? That he cant hit the back of the net anymore? That he takes more shots than anyone else and doesn't pass the ball when he should?

That you say "...he can't hit the back of the net anymore..." reveals your agenda....

Because quite simply you are fabricating in your failed attempt to get there!

Derek FYI is our top goalscorer.

JimBHibees
07-04-2011, 12:43 PM
He will get far better offers elsewhere and there is NO CHANCE he would accept a one year deal. I heard he has already turned down two offers from England.

HIBS may have a few Kings but they dont hold the Ace's in this deal.

They do if their opinion is that we can do without or get a decent replacement.

Beefster
07-04-2011, 12:44 PM
That you say "...he can't hit the back of the net anymore..." reveals your agenda....

Because quite simply you are fabricating in your failed attempt to get there!

Derek FYI is our top goalscorer.

So he should be. He's probably started more than double the games that any other striker has.

I'm not fussed either way whether he stays or not. I think we can probably get better value for money, to be honest, but i'll trust Calderwood's judgement. The way that some fans refuse to see either his faults or his attributes though and get on their high horse whenever someone criticises or praises Riordan says more about them than their argument though.

jdships
07-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Right on the money :top marks
HAS been a good player for us but now appears to have possibly lost interest
Not fussed if he signs or not :agree:

Remember "the club is bigger that the individual" is valid at all levels of sport

:flag:

ScottB
07-04-2011, 12:54 PM

Only if he ever becomes the much vaunted natural goalscorer he was. At his age and given his performances recently, it's by no means certain he will.

Given that he'd presumably resign as one of the top earners at the club, I'm not convinced we couldn't get a better player in, certainly better than he is playing now.

Take away knowing who he is for a moment, based on his performances over the last few weeks, who would sign him? His past exploits seem to give him an massive amount of leeway. One year deal tops if we are gonna keep him, but tbh I think he's done.

aberhibsfc
07-04-2011, 01:18 PM
I hate Riordan contract talks. We went through all this pish with Mowbray, just sign him FFS!!! :confused:

Agree entirely.

Though I've a feeling that with this probably being his last big contract he is waiting to see his options. However being out of contract in the summer there's no reason if a decent offer elsewhere was forthcoming that it wouldn't be on the table already.

Perhaps he wants to see what happens I really hope we've made a competitive offer and he takes it up.

I'd love to see what CC could add to his excellent signings so far and I'd like Riordan and Miller to be in that mix.

erin go bragh
07-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Yet he's only the 10th top scorer in the SPL, Smurf? Not a particularly great stat for someone whose main contribution to the team is goals.
3rd in the spl all time goal scoring charts :agree:
over 100 goals for us :confused: who was the last hibs player to score over 100 goals for us ?
ggtth

Beefster
07-04-2011, 03:08 PM
over 100 goals for us :confused: who was the last hibs player to score over 100 goals for us ?
ggtth

Folk keep confusing what Riordan has done in the past with what he does now.

Riordan has only scored a hundred goals for us because he failed at Celtic and ended up back at ER. Every other player who may have been capable of scoring 100 for us, given enough time, left and didn't come back (Killen, Stokes, O'Connor, Fletcher etc).

Lawrie Reilly scored a ****ing barrel-load of goals and way more than Riordan. Offer him a contract.

Part/Time Supporter
07-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Riordan has only scored a hundred goals for us because he failed at Celtic and ended up back at ER. Every other player who may have been capable of scoring 100 for us, given enough time, left and didn't come back (Killen, Stokes, O'Connor, Fletcher etc).

Lawrie Reilly scored a ****ing barrel-load of goals and way more than Riordan. Offer him a contract.

The question isn't how many goals Riordan has scored, the question is how many he will score in the term of a new contract.

It could be that this is just a down year in what was certainly a bad team for most of the season. He should be entering his prime years.

Pretty Boy
07-04-2011, 03:40 PM

Spot on.

Colin Nish is right up there in the all time SPL scoring charts as well, wheres the campaign to get him a new deal.

Jim44
07-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll be pleased if he stays, indifferent if he goes.

JimBHibees
07-04-2011, 03:43 PM

The question isn't how many goals Riordan has scored, the question is how many he will score in the term of a new contract.

It could be that this is just a down year in what was certainly a bad team for most of the season. He should be entering his prime years.

Couldnt agree more he shouldnt be getting a new contract because of what he has done previously but what he can bring to the team in the year or 3 ahead. Based on what I have seen this season if I was CC I would be seriously considering other options with Derek staying on as one also however it is telling to me the stark contrast in opinion now in terms of the overwhelming ambivalence to Deek signing a new contract to the panic, anxiety and desperate need for him to stay the last time his contract was running down.

davcar
07-04-2011, 05:02 PM
I have been in two minds this past month over whether i would like to stay or not and now feel that whatever happens CC will do for the good of the team.
Riordan should be signed or not on what he can deliver for the team in the future.

I believe he has suffered as has most of the team this season, and if CC can bring in some more quality it may be lift that Deek needs.

With or without him i would like for the decisions to be made swiftly and publicly so that we the supporters know what to expect next season, as this one has all but finished and we can start to build for the next one.
:flag::flag::flag:

ancient hibee
07-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Who are all these quality 20 goals a season strikers queuing up to come here?

Riordan has had a poor season despite being top scorer,most assists and most crosses.The fact that he has got most assists is evidence that the service from the midfield this season has been abysmal.If Miller resigns and can be encouraged to get his game back consistently-if the youngest defence in the league(3 at u20 level last night)can learn quickly then it would be absolute madness to get rid of Riordan.For what it's worth I don't think he will be offered as big a basic wage as he has now but there may be negotiations about bonuses and a sign on fee.

Beefster
07-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Who are all these quality 20 goals a season strikers queuing up to come here?

Argh, this argument again. Folk used to use this logic to say that Hughes shouldn't be sacked.

Killen came here. Stokes came here. Riordan came back here. Hibs are more than capable of attracting players who are capable of scoring 20 goals a season.

Riordan hasn't scored 20 goals in a season since 2005/06 so calling him a 20 goal a season striker is wrong.

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 06:01 PM
ggtth
All the famous 5 did :agree: and so did the Baker boy :greengrin

ancient hibee
07-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Argh, this argument again. Folk used to use this logic to say that Hughes shouldn't be sacked.

Killen came here. Stokes came here. Riordan came back here. Hibs are more than capable of attracting players who are capable of scoring 20 goals a season.

Riordan hasn't scored 20 goals in a season since 2005/06 so calling him a 20 goal a season striker is wrong.
I'll try again-who are they?

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Just a quick question!
Why do have to have a 20 goals a season striker :confused:
Me personally, I would rather have a team that worked together and shared the goals out between the forwards and the midfield!

On DR, I have never been a big fan, so I don't care if he stays or goes.

ancient hibee
07-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Just a quick question!
Why do have to have a 20 goals a season striker :confused:
Me personally, I would rather have a team that worked together and shared the goals out between the forwards and the midfield!

On DR, I have never been a big fan, so I don't care if he stays or goes.
I didn't say we had to have a 20 goals a season striker(not that it would go amiss)but merely asked who they are that everybody keeps on going on about.

Captain Trips
07-04-2011, 06:18 PM
IMO I will be delighted the day letting DR going is in any way a good thing as we will have some team if thats good.

It is light years away from that that.

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 06:25 PM
I don't think anybody could answer that on the wages we pay.

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I didn't say we had to have a 20 goals a season striker(not that it would go amiss)but merely asked who they are that everybody keeps on going on about.
It was a general question and not aimed at you faether :greengrin as I have seen a few mention it on the forums when they talk about DR.

DH1875
07-04-2011, 06:31 PM
That doesnt exactly indicate that the progess makes Deeks closer to signing a deal.
Could easily mean he has decided to try his luck elsewhere.

That's how I see it. Chick Young asked if there had been any progress regarding Deeks contract and CC said yes. Young then asked what it was and CC said that's to many questions and walked away. I reckon if it was good news he'd just have came out and said he's staying.

Your kidding yourself if you don't think theres a load of clubs after him.

Arch Stanton
07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
IMO I will be delighted the day letting DR going is in any way a good thing as we will have some team if thats good.

It is light years away from that that.

Yep - we might be as good as all the other SPL teams who are banging in more goals than us - I sure hope it isn't light years away though. :agree:

The_Sauz
07-04-2011, 06:45 PM
That's how I see it. Chick Young asked if there had been any progress regarding Deeks contract and CC said yes. Young then asked what it was and CC said that's to many questions and walked away. I reckon if it was good news he'd just have came out and said he's staying.

Your kidding yourself if you don't think theres a load of clubs after him.
Who :confused:
All I heard/seen was one club from Turkey...old age makes me forget things :greengrin

Beefster
07-04-2011, 06:49 PM

Unless you want to fund myself and a team to do some scouting, how would I know? You were suggesting that Hibs were incapable of signing an adequate replacement for Riordan. I was telling you that, apart from the fact you were exaggerating Riordan's goal tallies, that's nonsense. As I said in my previous post, some used the same logic when Hughes was in charge. "What managers are queueing up to come to little old Hibs?". Yet we found a manager.

Rather than pose unanswerable questions though, feel free to tell me why we can't attract such players.

paul_hfc3
07-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I have stuck up for Deeks for most of this and last season. I still hope that he can become the player he was. But after that shot against the Yams on Sunday were it went out for a throw in at the very end (after he had been doing poor shots for the majority of the second half already) made me just think, hes had his time surely now to prove himself. I can admit I did and still do admire Riordan as a player, especially when he scores 20 yards shots out of nowhere when we've been playing mince. But my question to the people who still believe in Deeks: How much more time should we give him to prove himself? End of Season or another year? I'm just worried the Yams, who will link themselves with getting him again (as much as they hate him), might get just get him and really put the boot in, get him scoring goals again.

matty_f
07-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Riordan isn't our most prolific scorer in recent years (depending on how far back you want to go.)

Stokes out-scored him last season, and he scored a mere 4 more SPL goals than the much maligned Colin Nish in the same season.

He was level with Fletcher the season before, and you have to go back to 2005/6 for a +15 goal season from Deek (in SPL games).

I like Riordan, I think he is capable of some wonderful goals, however let's not pretend he's some talisman that drags us through games time and again with these goals.

northgreen24
07-04-2011, 07:02 PM
I totally agree with carlsberg

yes he is frustrating and his record has been poor in in the last season however this can be said for the whole team

would the killen, fletcher, o'connor have done any better in this team as were all part of the golden generation in a great team (mabey why riordan scored so many goals

I still have faith that he can return to something like his previous form and for me that would better than any striker we can attract but more than importantly hope to keep for a few years

FWIW still the only striker we havethat when he gets the ball i get exited with what he can do ,

500miles
07-04-2011, 11:16 PM
A seasons goal return of 12 or 13 is acceptable if Riordan was the sort of player who dominated defences, and dictated play in the opposition half - or even offered some sort of steel when we don't have the ball.

But he doesn't. So 10 goals is not enough to compensate for his deficiencies. It is also worth noting that Riordan has, by far, had more shots at goal than any other player in the SPL, but has a mediocre goal tally. So the arguement that he isn't getting the chances just doesn't stand up.

WellingtonHibby
07-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Those Maribor boys may not get a work permit and from what I have read they on higher wages than Hibs players.

I would like you to have a quick look around the leagues and see

a) Who do you think would come to Hibs
b) would they come for what we can offer (We are on a par with D Utd I have heard)
c) Would they be able to perform to a high level over a number of years?

Name even 3 or 4 and I will be amazed

Two suppositions in the statement makes any discussion rather moot eh?

I suspect investment would be in young bucks from down south, championship, maybe even premiership reserve sides. The issue of "Who" is a non starter in that respect. though i suspect we would be able to get the chap from Killie we are after, or Michael higdon from st Mirren or even adam Rooney all for similar or less wages.

2)We dont just offer money, its the package that comes with it. It always mentioned by new signings about how attractive the stadium/training centre is and the levels of professionalism that maybe aren't there with other clubs.

3) Are you suggesting derek has another 10 years of 20+ a season? is that your point? i really dont see how..If we were to sign a relatively young goalscorer then yes, but i doubt we would keep him for more than two seasons before he was off to pastures new. So it dosent really matter does it?:greengrin

sixtwo
07-04-2011, 11:59 PM
I like him.

I have not seen a better striker in my 30 years of going to ER. Fair enough Stokes done better in one season but he ****ed off immediately. Riordan is the most prolific and consistant striker i have seen at hibs. That said, he is lazy and moody and prone to dips in form. I would like us to sign him on our terms. We should not be held to ransome over wages neither should we feel obliged to start him week in week out.

Deeks on form is formidable, deeks out of form is worse than nade

Franck is God
08-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I like him.

I have not seen a better striker in my 30 years of going to ER.

Steve Archibald, Darren Jackson, Willie Irvine, Keith Wright, Garry O'Connor, Mixu, Steve Cowan, Gordon Durie, David Zitelli, Chris Killen, Stephen Fletcher to name just a few were all better strikers for Hibs than Derek Riordan and they all played for us in the last 30 years.

Golden Bear
08-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Steve Archibald, Darren Jackson, Willie Irvine, Keith Wright, Garry O'Connor, Mixu, Steve Cowan, Gordon Durie, David Zitelli, Chris Killen, Stephen Fletcher to name just a few were all better strikers for Hibs than Derek Riordan and they all played for us in the last 30 years.

You've done it now. Crash helmets at the ready!

:tin hat::offski:

sahib
08-04-2011, 12:17 PM

What are you basing this assertion on? Because it looks like bollx, on first reading. Cowan was a donkey, Killen and Zitelli must have only scored a handful of goals between. Willie Irvine -pah!

oohtobe
08-04-2011, 12:22 PM
i have to admit at any given time this season so far i have had a foot on one side of the line or another, sometimes thinking keep him he has skill , passion for the club and commitment and sometimes thinking let him go as all he does is wander offside when hes not sitting on the grass with a , i'm hard done by by the ref and bullied by a more physical opposition , look on his face but on the whole i know we should keep him.
:hibees

sambajustice
08-04-2011, 12:24 PM
You've done it now. Crash helmets at the ready!

:tin hat::offski:

Marc Libbra tae...

bawheid
08-04-2011, 12:27 PM

:faf:

Aye.

The Sea-gull
08-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Don't remember Irvine, Cowan or Durie at Hibs but would say in the case of Durie he went on to have a better career than it looks like Riordan will get.

Archibald - overall better than Riordan, the clubs he played for tell you that but in a Hibs jersey I'd say Riordan is better performer.

All the rest are very different to Riordan as players and have qualities he does not but as a scorer of good goals and as a good goal scorer (the key measure of a striker) for me he is a better striker than any of them were for Hibs.

I don't know the stats but would suggest that only Killen in his short spell has a better goals:game average whilst at Hibs.

Sammy7nil
08-04-2011, 12:39 PM
They do if their opinion is that we can do without or get a decent replacement.

They dont hold any Aces if they dont want him tell him to go that has nothing to do with contract talks and as I understand it CC said he wants him to stay.

Removed
08-04-2011, 02:14 PM

Wind up post of the week :thumbsup:

Westie1875
08-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Update from CC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13014708.stm)

DH1875
08-04-2011, 05:37 PM
What are you basing this assertion on? Because it looks like bollx, on first reading. Cowan was a donkey, Killen and Zitelli must have only scored a handful of goals between. Willie Irvine -pah!

Killen, are you :crazy:. You can't argue with his scoring record and for 6 months was one of the best forwards we ever had.
He was total kite for celtic though :greengrin.

Arch Stanton
08-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Reading between the lines it sounds like Riordan is free to look elsewhere if he thinks he is worth more than the club are offerring.

Mibbes Aye
08-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Reading between the lines it sounds like Riordan is free to look elsewhere if he thinks he is worth more than the club are offerring.

But would suggest this was always the case.

His contract's not run down for no reason. Both parties made choices in this arrangement.

ancient hibee
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Unless you want to fund myself and a team to do some scouting, how would I know? You were suggesting that Hibs were incapable of signing an adequate replacement for Riordan. I was telling you that, apart from the fact you were exaggerating Riordan's goal tallies, that's nonsense. As I said in my previous post, some used the same logic when Hughes was in charge. "What managers are queueing up to come to little old Hibs?". Yet we found a manager.

Rather than pose unanswerable questions though, feel free to tell me why we can't attract such players.
I would rather pose unanswerable questions thanks all the same.Unless you have forgotten it's "who are the 20 goal a season strikers that we could sign(according to some).

Beefster
08-04-2011, 07:00 PM

But would suggest this was always the case.

His contract's not run down for no reason. Both parties made choices in this arrangement.

Yup. Hibs will be looking to see if they can get better for the money. Riordan will be looking to see if he can get a better offer elsewhere.

I would rather pose unanswerable questions thanks all the same.Unless you have forgotten it's "who are the 20 goal a season strikers that we could sign(according to some).

Why would we need to sign a '20 goal a season' striker to replace Riordan?

ancient hibee
08-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Yup. Hibs will be looking to see if they can get better for the money. Riordan will be looking to see if he can get a better offer elsewhere.

Why would we need to sign a '20 goal a season' striker to replace Riordan?
I think you are confusing me with some of the more expansive posters.I didn't say we needed to sign a 20 goal a season striker-I asked who they were-that other posters keep saying we can sign.

Mibbes Aye
08-04-2011, 07:31 PM

:agree: It's the bit that interests me most.

If Derek Riordan needed Hibs then we would have heard about it, as his contract runs down.

He doesn't need Hibs, or at least he doesn't think he needs Hibs. Or, being realistic, we are a failsafe, but probably on a lower wage.

And that's fair enough - when we re-signed him this place was full of posts about how he would add two or three thousand on the gate and sell on for much more. We were the place for him to put himself back in the window, fair enough :agree:

That's not really happened. In fairness, he potentially could have looked and been a better player, with different managerial input. Could have been worse too, though....

Chances are that he'll be able to secure a higher wage elsewhere though, so good luck to him. He scored many, many goals, and a lot of memorable ones, for us.

Can we find a goalscorer?

I'm a lot younger than some on this board, but older than a lot :greengrin.

When we have good seasons it's because we've had a good midfield, and a solid defence supporting it. They make the opportunities. A club like Hibs is big enough to secure strikers who will score goals if they have the players behind them IMO.

Franck is God
08-04-2011, 08:40 PM

I think Cowan has the best league goal scoring record in a season for Hibs in the last 30 years and his partnership with Durie in the 84-85 season is the best I've seen in my time supporting Hibs. I think between them they scored best part of 50 goals that year.

Irvine got 19 league goals in 36 games in 82-83 season and Cowan Matched that in 84-85. Considering they both played in sides that mainly fought against relegation it ain't bad in my book.

Killen managed 19 goals in only 32 appearances which obviously shows how much time he spent injured but his goals ration when playing was excelent.

Beefster
08-04-2011, 08:52 PM
When we have good seasons it's because we've had a good midfield, and a solid defence supporting it. They make the opportunities. A club like Hibs is big enough to secure strikers who will score goals if they have the players behind them IMO.

Wise words. Facts that folk seem to forget too.

Pretty Boy
08-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I think you are confusing me with some of the more expansive posters.I didn't say we needed to sign a 20 goal a season striker- asked who they wereI-that other posters keep saying we can sign.

It's a stupid question though as fans don't have access to the knowledge required to give an answer. We have no idea whos available and at what price, what the wages range is for said players etc etc

Had you asked the same question this time 3 years ago would anyone have answered Stokes? I doubt it because most would have believed he was outwith our price range, unavailable or any of the other excuses used when the club don't sign who we want, when we want.

We have proven consistently over the last few years that we are more than capable of attracting strikers who can give us a decent return: Killen, Stokes, Riordan and even Benji. So heres a question for you: if we have managed to attract these types of players in the recent past, what's so different this time?

matty_f
08-04-2011, 09:01 PM

One year deals are mentioned there too - that's next season written off already then...

ancient hibee
09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
It's a stupid question though as fans don't have access to the knowledge required to give an answer. We have no idea whos available and at what price, what the wages range is for said players etc etc

Had you asked the same question this time 3 years ago would anyone have answered Stokes? I doubt it because most would have believed he was outwith our price range, unavailable or any of the other excuses used when the club don't sign who we want, when we want.

We have proven consistently over the last few years that we are more than capable of attracting strikers who can give us a decent return: Killen, Stokes, Riordan and even Benji. So heres a question for you: if we have managed to attract these types of players in the recent past, what's so different this time?
Who said there's anything different this time?

JimBHibees
11-04-2011, 11:08 AM
They dont hold any Aces if they dont want him tell him to go that has nothing to do with contract talks and as I understand it CC said he wants him to stay.

They probably do want him but not at any price however they will have a limit over which they wont go therefore they are IMO in a good position as they can say no and move onto another player.

DH1875
11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm confused. Herd today that the club have put any contract talks with Deeks on hold till the end of the season. I'm sure though that I herd a couple of weeks ago that ALL our players had already been told if they were staying or no :dunno:.

Future17
11-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm confused. Herd today that the club have put any contract talks with Deeks on hold till the end of the season. I'm sure though that I herd a couple of weeks ago that ALL our players had already been told if they were staying or no :dunno:.

I think players have been told whether they will or will not be offered a new deal, but the specifics of the deals on offer to those they wish to keep may not have been discussed yet.

Eaststand
11-04-2011, 08:01 PM

I reckon you're 100% spot on with those points

GGTTH