PDA

View Full Version : Question Disabled non wheelchair fans

ronaldo7
06-04-2011, 02:58 PM
I've just had a call from the club saying that my daughter and I cannot sit in the seats we've had for a few years now.

We moved into the west upper when she was able bodied and paying full price, she then had an MS Relapse, and has been disabled since then.

We have been paying disabled prices since her relapse (this will be our second season).

The club have said that we have to move seats due to her disability, and everyone who is disabled/carer must be sitting in the lower section, no higher than row M.

When I asked the girl, why we were being told this now, as I've already renewed for next season, she said that it was due to Health and safety reasons.

I can understand the situation re the evacuation of the ground in an emergency where all the lifts would not be used, and said I did understand if it's something to do with H&S. I followed this up by saying that we liked the seats we were in and what can the club offer us.

She replied saying we have seats in row D in the lower tier or if we wanted to stay in our original seats it would be full price.:fuming:

Now it's either for H&S reasons or it's cash.

Has anyone else had a call from the club in a similar situation?

Future17
06-04-2011, 03:05 PM
I've just had a call from the club saying that my daughter and I cannot sit in the seats we've had for a few years now.

We moved into the west upper when she was able bodied and paying full price, she then had an MS Relapse, and has been disabled since then.

We have been paying disabled prices since her relapse (this will be our second season).

The club have said that we have to move seats due to her disability, and everyone who is disabled/carer must be sitting in the lower section, no higher than row M.

When I asked the girl, why we were being told this now, as I've already renewed for next season, she said that it was due to Health and safety reasons.

I can understand the situation re the evacuation of the ground in an emergency where all the lifts would not be used, and said I did understand if it's something to do with H&S. I followed this up by saying that we liked the seats we were in and what can the club offer us.

She replied saying we have seats in row D in the lower tier or if we wanted to stay in our original seats it would be full price.:fuming:

Now it's either for H&S reasons or it's cash.

Seems strange. As you say, the H&S concerns are understandable but, if that's the reason for the enforced move, surely the club can't turn a blind eye to this issue purely because a full price ticket is purchased?

I would send an e-mail to the club and see what response they are willing to put in writing.

Good luck! :aok:

ronaldo7
06-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Seems strange. As you say, the H&S concerns are understandable but, if that's the reason for the enforced move, surely the club can't turn a blind eye to this issue purely because a full price ticket is purchased?

I would send an e-mail to the club and see what response they are willing to put in writing.

Good luck! :aok:

I'm going to see them on Saturday. We'll see what they have to say then.

Beefster
06-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I can sort of see the logic to Hibs' decision but, if you are unhappy about the policy, write direct to Scott Lindsay. They'll either sort it or do what they can to make you as happy as possible.

For what it's worth, my old man is disabled but hasn't heard anything from the club. He's in the East and only a few rows from the tunnel to the concourse though so I wouldn't expect him to.

Edit: I see that you're going to see them anyway.

Pretty Boy
06-04-2011, 03:37 PM
My guess is that if you buy a full price ticket for the upper tier the club would argue you would essentially be failing to notify them of the disability. Whereas if you ask for a disabled ticket price you are notifying them off the disability and they have special seating arrangements as recommended by H&S guidelines.

Obviously there is a difference here as they do know about the disability but on the other hand if you pay full price and choose to sit upstairs Hibs are essentially in the clear as it's your choice. If they sell you a disabled ticket for upstairs and there is an incident, they have ignored guidelines/rules and leave themselves open to all sorts of legal bother.

Bit of a long winded way of putting it but i hope that makes some knid of sense. I'd definitely discuss it with the club though and see what they can offer you.

Removed
06-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Jonnyboy posted something very similar about when he went in to renew for himself and his brother last week. Think it was on the PM board.

Twiglet
06-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I agree with what pretty boy is saying. By paying full price and sitting in the west upper hibs (and the insurers who have probably beeen the ones have said this must happen) will see this as a declaration that your daughter is able bodied (things can could change either way as far as insurers are concerned) and in the event of the stadium needing to be evacuated in an emergency she will be able to get out without assistance.
It's not the nicest thing, but nowadays we seem to be moving into suing culture so the insurers may be simply covering themselves from the risk. It also might be the only way for hibs to get cover.

Sir David Gray
06-04-2011, 06:02 PM
If it's regarding concerns over evacuation procedures in the event of an emergency because the lifts won't be in operation, then how come Hibs provide wheelchair spaces halfway up the West Stand and also halfway up the Famous Five Stand as well, that you can only get to via a lift?

To get to the wheelchair section in the Roseburn Stand at Tynecastle, I've got to use a lift as well.

If an emergency was to occur and the lifts were to be put out of service, what would people in wheelchairs do?

Unfortunately if Hibs are citing "Health & Safety" as a reason for implementing this change then there's very little you can do about it. It's something that a lot of companies are doing now when justifying rules and regulations and there's basically no comeback from that.