PDA

View Full Version : Our Pitch

brog
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
We've invested in the stadium & the training centre, now we need to do the same for our pitch. Considering how long it's been since there was a game it was in pretty awful nick yesterday & quite possibly cost us the win. We played some excellent football up to the box, both Towell & Booth created loads of space & on several occasions ball bobbled as they went to cross it. Palsson & Riordan also suffered although both should still have done better.
Having to take an extra touch to control a ball plays into the hands of defenders & for last 55 mins yesterday Yams effectively did nothing but defend.
This is no criticism of our groundstaff but they need the tools to improve the pitch. We should send them down to Arsenal, find out what's needed & invest in the equipment. I'm sure it's not cheap but every place we lose in SPL costs us tens of thousands of pounds, I think it would be another necessary & worthwhile investment.

Ryan91
04-04-2011, 04:21 PM
We've invested in the stadium & the training centre, now we need to do the same for our pitch. Considering how long it's been since there was a game it was in pretty awful nick yesterday & quite possibly cost us the win. We played some excellent football up to the box, both Towell & Booth created loads of space & on several occasions ball bobbled as they went to cross it. Palsson & Riordan also suffered although both should still have done better.
Having to take an extra touch to control a ball plays into the hands of defenders & for last 55 mins yesterday Yams effectively did nothing but defend.
This is no criticism of our groundstaff but they need the tools to improve the pitch. We should send them down to Arsenal, find out what's needed & invest in the equipment. I'm sure it's not cheap but every place we lose in SPL costs us tens of thousands of pounds, I think it would be another necessary & worthwhile investment.

Compared to this time last season the pitch is in far better shape, pitches naturally deteriorate over the course of a season and the bad winter weather probably didn't help, the club redid the pitch last season and used the technology that Arsenal use at the Emirates and that the GAA use at Croke Park. I think it's called DESSO GrassMaster.

brog
04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Compared to this time last season the pitch is in far better shape, pitches naturally deteriorate over the course of a season and the bad winter weather probably didn't help, the club redid the pitch last season and used the technology that Arsenal use at the Emirates and that the GAA use at Croke Park. I think it's called DESSO GrassMaster.

I agree it's far better than last season but Arsenal's is like a bowling green compared to ER. Ibrox & Parkhead are also in far better condition & they've had more traffic than our pitch. Mind you ours is as good as Hampden was 2 weeks ago!

Ryan91
04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I agree it's far better than last season but Arsenal's is like a bowling green compared to ER. Ibrox & Parkhead are also in far better condition & they've had more traffic than our pitch. Mind you ours is as good as Hampden was 2 weeks ago!

Do consider that all 3 of those clubs have budgets far outclassing our own and probably spend more money on upkeep of their pitches. Arsenal also use artificial lights to encourage growth of their pitches, which costs a lot of money, and isn't very environmentally friendly.

TRC
04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Do Arsenal not also have some sort of fancy astro turf throughout the grass?

Ryan91
04-04-2011, 04:50 PM
That's the DESSO GrassMaster, this is what wikipedia says

Desso GrassMaster is a sports playing field surface composed of natural grass combined with artificial fibres. The artificial grass fibres are injected 20 centimetres (7.9 in) deep, and cover about 3% of the surface. While the grass is growing, the roots intertwine with the artificial fibres. The designers claim this anchors the field to create a solid, even structure with good drainage and 'playing comfort'.
Reinforced natural grass is used for stadium pitches and training pitches, used for association football, rugby, American football and baseball. Reinforced natural grass can also be used for events and concerts. The artificial turf injection shortens the recovery time for the grass.
The first FIFA World Cup to be played on grass pitches that are partly made up of artificial grass was the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa - the system was installed in the Mbombela Stadium and the Peter Mokaba Stadium.

Golden Bear
04-04-2011, 04:51 PM
During the really severe spell of weather we had in November & December, I think the playing squad were forced to train at ER as there were no suitable pitches available at East Mains.

Bearing in mind the current pitch was only knitted together last summer, then hopefully the surface will continually to improve as it matures.

Hibhibhooray
04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
I have always wondered why we don't use the lamps on the pitch, Even Barcelona use them and they get a decent bit of sun.

Would this not improve the pitch:confused:

Golden Bear
04-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Do consider that all 3 of those clubs have budgets far outclassing our own and probably spend more money on upkeep of their pitches. Arsenal also use artificial lights to encourage growth of their pitches, which costs a lot of money, and isn't very environmentally friendly.

And the climate is a lot milder down in London.

bingo70
04-04-2011, 04:56 PM
I have always wondered why we don't use the lamps on the pitch, Even Barcelona use them and they get a decent bit of sun.

They cost an absolute fortune though, think i heard somewhere it was around the £200k mark, for that money i'd rather we concentrated on improving the team.

Ryan91
04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
As for the players training at ER due to no suitable place at East Mains, I'm sure East Mains has indoor facilities, so why would they train at ER?

greenginger
04-04-2011, 05:07 PM

They use lights on the pitch at Murrayfield.

I was in the SRU shop just before Christmas and could see onto the pitch and there was a huge battery of yellow light moving slowly across the pitch.

I don't know if its the same system but if it is maybe we could hire them, the SRU skint as well :agree:

Golden Bear
04-04-2011, 05:30 PM
As for the players training at ER due to no suitable place at East Mains, I'm sure East Mains has indoor facilities, so why would they train at ER?

The indoor "facility" at East Mains is pretty basic let's say. I'm not speaking from personal experience - only from photographs that I've seen.

Hibhibhooray
04-04-2011, 05:32 PM
If thats the cost i can understand why we don't use them, but in our climate if we want good playing surfaces its down to the seed and the light.

The Barca reference was just to show that even in a sunny enviromnent you still need these lamps to help the pitch.

I think the ones at Murrayfield actual are programmed to go round the pitch themselves.

ancient hibee
04-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Because it was more difficult to get to East Mains than ER.

brog
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Thx for good comments. I think the lamps slowly rotating round the park is now the accepted state of the art treatment, I saw them in use at Bernabeu about 18 months ago. If cost is £200,000 then may be too much but probably worth exploring all options, as I said I think it will be to our benefit & could prove cost effective.
PS, saw QPR game tonight, another great pitch & allows ball to be passed crisply & quickly, not really on at ER just now.

HibbyKeith
05-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Parkhead use the lighting rigs, and ibrox definitely use them, our bus was parked beside them at he recent u19s Scottish cup semi.

In total agreement that it's the next course of action to improve Easter road, the height of the stands don't help matters but we can't have it all. All about what's financially viable too, not just the cost of the equiptment but general energy and running cost. I'm sure I read that arsenal are one of the highest energy consuming football clubs in Europe currently, (open to correction on that one though)

Hamiltons pitch is probably the best looking pitch in the league, but they only have half a stadium so sunlight is a non issue and I would imagine it drys out quicker with better air circulation. Sure it was the same for livi when they were in the spl.

Golden Bear
05-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Parkhead use the lighting rigs, and ibrox definitely use them, our bus was parked beside them at he recent u19s Scottish cup semi.

In total agreement that it's the next course of action to improve Easter road, the height of the stands don't help matters but we can't have it all. All about what's financially viable too, not just the cost of the equiptment but general energy and running cost. I'm sure I read that arsenal are one of the highest energy consuming football clubs in Europe currently, (open to correction on that one though)

Hamiltons pitch is probably the best looking pitch in the league, but they only have half a stadium so sunlight is a non issue and I would imagine it drys out quicker with better air circulation. Sure it was the same for livi when they were in the spl.

The new pitch at St Mirren seems to have been a big success as well.

Newry Hibs
05-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Thank goodness the East stand was made shorter than the others :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
05-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi Brian
I was at one of the listening groups immediately after the Ross county debacle - sorry for bringing the back up!
The pitch was a disgrace And Scott Lindsay did say it would be fixed when they relayed the turf. Re the lamps at darkhead that was ruled out on a cost basis
That said and maybe I'm being thick here but if there is a demand then why not outsource or rent? Is sharing with another team an option?

green&left
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Considering the pitch is only 9 months old, it is rather poor. From what I've read on here, it appears the team train on it during the winter months (undersoil heating) when East Mains is unreachable/unplayable (no undersoil heating). That's what is probably doing most damage.

sunshine1875
05-04-2011, 01:04 PM
I briefly caught a bit of the Aston Villa v Liverpool reserve match on the Liverpool channel and the pitch was excellent - very very green and no patches.

I have just checked and the game took place at Villa Park last night. I also see that they actually play quite a lot of their reserve games at Villa Park. So despite the winter and despite the number of games they play on the pitch it is a lot better than ours. It would be interesting trying to find out what they do that we don't!

dangermouse
05-04-2011, 01:23 PM
That's the DESSO GrassMaster, this is what wikipedia says

Desso GrassMaster is a sports playing field surface composed of natural grass combined with artificial fibres. The artificial grass fibres are injected 20 centimetres (7.9 in) deep, and cover about 3% of the surface. While the grass is growing, the roots intertwine with the artificial fibres. The designers claim this anchors the field to create a solid, even structure with good drainage and 'playing comfort'.
Reinforced natural grass is used for stadium pitches and training pitches, used for association football, rugby, American football and baseball. Reinforced natural grass can also be used for events and concerts. The artificial turf injection shortens the recovery time for the grass.
The first FIFA World Cup to be played on grass pitches that are partly made up of artificial grass was the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa - the system was installed in the Mbombela Stadium and the Peter Mokaba Stadium.

Don't think that's what's at ER otherwise it wouldn't look so bare. IIRC there was steel wool or something similar under the earth to allow the roots to be more secure. Looks like the weather this winter has been the main problem for the state of the pitch. It can't be as bad as last season though or Deeks would have said something about it :wink:

Baldy Foghorn
05-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Pitch never cost us the win, our ineptitude in front of goals did.....

IWasThere2016
05-04-2011, 01:29 PM

I was at Old Trafford, Eastlands and City's Academy at Platt Lane this weekend and all 3 had lamps on. The Academy pitch - for City's younger sides to play on - was exceptional and better than ours!

Ryan91
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I briefly caught a bit of the Aston Villa v Liverpool reserve match on the Liverpool channel and the pitch was excellent - very very green and no patches.

I have just checked and the game took place at Villa Park last night. I also see that they actually play quite a lot of their reserve games at Villa Park. So despite the winter and despite the number of games they play on the pitch it is a lot better than ours. It would be interesting trying to find out what they do that we don't!

They use the same set-up as Arsenal, DESSO GrassMaster and Light rig, as for hiring or renting the lights, that would still cost a considerable amount of money, money we can't afford to spend.

brog
05-04-2011, 02:30 PM
They use the same set-up as Arsenal, DESSO GrassMaster and Light rig, as for hiring or renting the lights, that would still cost a considerable amount of money, money we can't afford to spend.

IMO we can't afford not to spend it. There's no point in investing in better quality players if we then ask them to perform on a park which effectively negates the skill of these players.

dangermouse
05-04-2011, 02:55 PM
IMO we can't afford not to spend it. There's no point in investing in better quality players if we then ask them to perform on a park which effectively negates the skill of these players.

It's a catch 22. Invest in the team but the players cannot perform to their true potential because of the surface or invest in the surface and have no money to spend on the team.

The pitch was in brilliant condition at the start of the season, this may have been due to prolonged hours of daylight, warmer temperatures and the decided lack of snow on top of it. It should be fine for the start of next season but may end up the same depending on the winter weather.

steviecarnie
05-04-2011, 05:19 PM
the club redid the pitch last season and used the technology that Arsenal use at the Emirates and that the GAA use at Croke Park. I think it's called DESSO GrassMaster.

DRIVEL - hibs did not implement the DESSO at easter road during the summer, i watched the pitch grow from seeds to grass and can assure u no carpet or intertwined plastics were used.

PaulSmith
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
DRIVEL - hibs did not implement the DESSO at easter road during the summer, i watched the pitch grow from seeds to grass and can assure u no carpet or intertwined plastics were used.

You sound a bundle of laughs! :greengrin

sunshine1875
05-04-2011, 05:50 PM
You sound a bundle of laughs! :greengrin

His other pastime is to watch paint dry :agree:

Hibernia Na Eir
05-04-2011, 06:01 PM
The pitch was amazing last summer after all the work that was done, like a puttin green. To be fair to Hibs (and other clubs) the extremely harsh winter of late Nov and Dec destroyed pitches. Was clearly evident after the snow cleared that our pitch was knackered for the season.

Forza Fred
06-04-2011, 06:48 AM
Viewed from afar, and on TV, the first thingi noticed was how bad the pitch looked.

I know its easy to stick with what we know, but trust me, summer football is the way to go, as far as the state of pitches go....resulting in better control.

Would Palsson have scored if the ball didn''t bobble when he was clean through?

And you heard it at this radio station first - eventually I think the SFA will be forced to change to summer football.....or the game in Scotland will simply evaporate.

Kaiser1962
06-04-2011, 07:53 AM
I'm with you on summer football Fred!

There seems to have been a debate behind the scenes last year as to whether we should grow our own pitch or buy in turf and, as we all know, we grew it.

Its obvious to all that theres problems and a bumpy pitch certainly dosent suit us, although I dont think it suits anybody. Mowbray and Collins both "rolled" it flat but that was the reason it needed to be re-laid apparently (compresses the soil underneath) so thats not an option.

I am hopepful that this will be addressed, and rectified, before next season.

Viewed from afar, and on TV, the first thingi noticed was how bad the pitch looked.

I know its easy to stick with what we know, but trust me, summer football is the way to go, as far as the state of pitches go....resulting in better control.

Would Palsson have scored if the ball didn''t bobble when he was clean through?

And you heard it at this radio station first - eventually I think the SFA will be forced to change to summer football.....or the game in Scotland will simply evaporate.

Golden Bear
06-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Fitba' is a winter game and golf is a summer game and never the two shall meet.

Simples really!

:wink:

bingo70
06-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Fitba' is a winter game and golf is a summer game and never the two shall meet.

Simples really!

:wink:

If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got.........pish football :wink:

Golden Bear
06-04-2011, 08:06 AM
If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got.........pish football :wink:

Most of the SPL teams are totally incapable of producing sexy football - regardless of the Season or the quality of the pitches.

Keith_M
06-04-2011, 09:18 AM
It's a bit unfair to suggest the club should be investing in the pitch when that's exactly what they did last summer. The whole sub-surface and pitch was removed and they invested a lot of money in replacing these.

In this instance, I think it's just bad luck with the weather we've had this year.

soupy
06-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Ha ha :greengrin:greengrin