PDA

View Full Version : Derbies 1970 - Present date

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Yesterday was the same old same old - Another derby comes and goes a game Hibs should have won but YET AGIAN failed to win.

I would say in the 100 or so derbies I have been to there are 20 -25 when Hibs deserved to win but either lost or got a draw. When we do win it is normally a struggle even when we have been dominant throughout the game.

The Jambos always seem to want to compete more than Hibs. Hibs have an attitude even playing against 10 men lets not lose rather than lets rip them apart. I am not talking only about yesterdays game when I say that I mean over the years.

Different players different managers the same results I dont Know why?

Other than a few periods Stanton and Suazee we have a DIRE record in derbies especially when in that time there has never been a real gap in the quality of teams. It can only come from the mindset of of the players, managers and fans.

We hope to win rather than getting out there and winning for me that is the difference.

As I get older it bothers me less but over the years a veteran of maybe 100 derbies I feel cheated out of about 25 wins we should have had.

Franck is God
04-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I started going to games with my Dad around 1983/84 regularly with my Dad and waited years for my first taste of Derby glory and like you have seen Hibs outplay Hearts on many occasions and not get the result. I still have nightmares about the 4-4 game at Tynie and it annoys me to this day when I hear anyone in the Hibs support question who an opposing sub is when they come on.

Alex McLeish was able to get us to match the desire that Hearts seem to achieve every time against us, hopefully CC will get that too.

Yesterdays game is a harder one to call as they are simply a better team than we are and realistically the only reason we had the opportunity to win was due to them losing a player. We are building a team, they already have one but I definitely agree with the basis of the post.

NeilOrrSquareBa
04-04-2011, 11:49 AM
"As I get older it bothers me less but over the years a veteran of maybe 100 derbies I feel cheated out of about 25 wins we should have had"

Have to say I'm older too but it hurts more each time.
Agree with your view that these chumps seem have the Indian sign over us for some reason. But I was reduced to a spittal dispersing, oath spouting, St Vitus Dance shaking blethering buffon of a supporter when they equalised.

Yesterday they could've (should've) been out of sight after 20 mins but we battled back and got a foothold in the game onoly to squander posessions and opportunities time after time adter time.

When we did score I didn't see (I may be wrong) any change to our set up to counter their tactical switch to 3 up. We gave away a soft free kick (not sure if it even was one) and then defended like six year olds against THE SAME free kick they had tried earlier that half. When I saw it on TV this morning I could've wept. It was question of who, from the queue of players lining up was going to put it away. All of our defenders got sucked to the ball and the goalie was rooted to his line.
Baaa!
:confused:

JeMeSouviens
04-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Change the heading to "1983 - present date". We owned them throughout the late 60s and 70s, then they spent a few years hiding in Div1 (we had a wee "great adventure" as well, of course).

Alfred E Newman
04-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Maybe one of the statos among us could take the time to workout the number of drawn games during that time where Hibs have conceded the equaliser. I think the answer would be very depressing indeed.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
I started going in the late 60's dont recall much other than the odd game here and there and the fact we regularly slaughtered teams scoring 5 and more often. By the Late 70's Hibs were on a real decline. To tell the truth Hearts were probably very poor at that time too.

That is why I put 70's to present date as that is when I can recall games and our record in derbies is DIRE

RickyS
04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
i agree with everyone in this thread, my own memory is that I was in high school before i could celebrate us winning a derby. starting watching in 1986 and went to high school in 1990.
my mates laugh at me in the lead up to a derby cos I never look forward to them and don't enjoy the game until the final whistle has blown. it pains me but JJ knows how to beat us and I would honestly prefer us not to play them again this season.

Hibs Giant
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
The last 10 years at least has a lot to do with money. People forget that.

CRAZYHIBBY
04-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Im certain Alex Mcleish never lost a derby match :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 06:55 PM

SAUZEE never lost a derby

He was injured or suspended for a defeat during his time at Hibs but when he played or was manager we never lost. But what is your point ? Look at the records overall our record with the exception of a few blips is laughable.

grantonhibee
04-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Hearts have the better record in derbies with 131 wins to 85 wins by Hibs in 303 competitive matches. There have been approximately 600 Edinburgh derbies to date, meaning that about half of all derbies have been played in local competitions and "friendlies". Hearts hold a lead of 140 wins to Hibs' 112 wins in these other games.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Hearts v Hibernian
Hearts wins Draws Hibernian wins
League 112 79 66
FA Cup 13 7 9
League Cup 4 0 1

Total 129 86 76

This site Head 2 Head says different but still poor

Hibernia Na Eir
04-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Its hard to take, but Hearts ALWAYS play to the very last whistle against us. They know they always have a chance, no matter how late in the game. Decades of late goals and late derby wins have proved that and folk like fat Robbo have confirmed this. This mentality has obviously been passed down their teams over the decades. And it pains me to say it, but its worked and worked well. Its not just the top XI either, ALL their squads have the same fight when they play us. Why arent we the same?

Something all Hibs players should take note and think about.

Anyway, GGTTH !

next season will be good :greengrin

The Harp Awakes
04-04-2011, 09:33 PM
I started going to games with my Dad around 1983/84 regularly with my Dad and waited years for my first taste of Derby glory and like you have seen Hibs outplay Hearts on many occasions and not get the result. I still have nightmares about the 4-4 game at Tynie and it annoys me to this day when I hear anyone in the Hibs support question who an opposing sub is when they come on.

Alex McLeish was able to get us to match the desire that Hearts seem to achieve every time against us, hopefully CC will get that too.

Yesterdays game is a harder one to call as they are simply a better team than we are and realistically the only reason we had the opportunity to win was due to them losing a player. We are building a team, they already have one but I definitely agree with the basis of the post.

The annoying thing about yesterday's game for me was the opening 20 minutes where Hearts were well on top. Why did we allow them to gain the initiative when:

1. We were the home team;

2. We were the team that needed the points more;

3. We were team who should have been hurting from this season's 2 derby defeats;

4. We were the team with the better recent form; and

5. We were the team at full strength.

Although I agree that Hearts are a better team than Hibs this season, it's a disgrace that they were more up for the game than us, particularly in these circumstances. Then again, I agree with others on the thread that over the years, Hearts always appear to be more up for derbys than Hibs.

I think that this has to be because the fixture for whatever reason seems to mean more to Hearts than Hibs. Just look at the scenes when they equalised. You'd think they had just won the league.

Devon Hibee
04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Our record against the Yams is poor, but its best to look towards the future as I feel Colin Calderwood will lead us to third next season. :agree:

However being a supporter who is from England and didnt go to that many games, I have to admit to never seeing us win against them. Might make a point of avoiding Derby games next season, even though Im up here now!

Onwards and upwards!

Sir David Gray
04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Maybe one of the statos among us could take the time to workout the number of drawn games during that time where Hibs have conceded the equaliser. I think the answer would be very depressing indeed.

Score draws where Hibs have conceded the last goal;

April '11 Hibs 2-2 Hearts
October '08-Hibs 1-1 Hearts
November '07-Hibs 1-1 Hearts
October '06-Hibs 2-2 Hearts
April '05-Hibs 2-2 Hearts
January '05-Hibs 1-1 Hearts
February '04-Hibs 1-1 Hearts
January '03-Hearts 4-4 Hibs
December '00-Hearts 1-1 Hibs
August '99-Hibs 1-1 Hearts

It's happened 10 times in the past 12 years.

Sammy7nil
05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
http://ihibs.co.uk/team_head2head.php

Look at that link our record is worse than I thought Hearts have won 50 at ER while we have won only 38 it really is a joke.

Sammy7nil
05-04-2011, 12:40 PM
http://ihibs.co.uk/team_head2head.php

Look at that link our record is worse than I thought Hearts have won 50 at ER while we have won only 38 it really is a joke.

SneakersO'Toole
05-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Score draws where Hibs have conceded the last goal;

April '11 Hibs 2-2 Hearts
October '08-Hibs 1-1 Hearts
November '07-Hibs 1-1 Hearts
October '06-Hibs 2-2 Hearts
April '05-Hibs 2-2 Hearts
January '05-Hibs 1-1 Hearts
February '04-Hibs 1-1 Hearts
January '03-Hearts 4-4 Hibs
December '00-Hearts 1-1 Hibs
August '99-Hibs 1-1 Hearts

It's happened 10 times in the past 12 years.

The most depressing thing about these stats is that out of the 10 comebacks, 8 of them have been at Easter Road. Moreover, since we were promoted back to the Premier League Hearts have come from behind 3 times to beat us at Easter Road. Since the 99/00 season Hearts have never had to come from behind to beat us at Tynie.

Compare this to our record of coming from behind TWICE to salvage a draw in the same time period (once at ER, once at Tynie). We also have come from behind 3x to win derbies, twice at ER and once at Tynie.

In all competitions its P46, W12, D16, L18 since the start of the 99/00 season. We have also played 3 more league game at ER than at Tyne (23/20 ratio plus 3 cup games).

Hibs have managed 4 wins and 5 draws at Tynecastle compared to Hearts 5 wins and 10 draws at ER.

Steve-O
06-04-2011, 10:22 AM

He didn't lose many, but I am sure he lost at least one at Tynecastle?

Dunbar Hibee
06-04-2011, 10:36 AM

I thought he lost 1 at ER? Could be wrong.

Steve20
06-04-2011, 10:42 AM

He lost one. 2-1 at Tynecastle, last game of the 99/00 season. They needed to win to guarantee qualifying for Europe and we never had Sauzee or Latapy that day. I think it was John Hughes and Pat McGinlay's last game for the club.

McLeish record was: 5 wins 4 draws 1 loss.

JimBHibees
06-04-2011, 10:42 AM

Think he lost one when we were very short of a team at Tynie last game of the season, they won 2-1 Cameron kicked McManus out of the game on his debut, Mixu bundled a goal in at the Roseburn end think they clinched Europe with it.

Kaiser1962
06-04-2011, 10:50 AM
We tend to forget that McLeish had a far bigger budget than any of his successors and had a higher quality player at his disposal.

We were forced to reign in our spending and they didnt bother. Which approach is ultimately correct remains to be seen.

ihibs says that Mcleish won 5 drew 4 and lost 1

Speedway
06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
For much of the period we're covering here, Hibs have had a loser mentality in player and supporter alike as a generalisation.

Hearts are deluded, but they think they are better than they are, we mostly think we're worse than we are.

Craig_in_Prague
06-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Mixu had us doing fairly well in derbies for some reason. We didn't look like losing games, even though i assume we did lose a couple under him.
McLeish had 2 star players, then some serious quality like Laursen, O'Neil, Zitelli etc.
Otherwise, derbies are just horrendous memories.

CC will get us even more tougher in time. Sunday was dissapointing when looking at the game from the penalty onwards, but at least we created plenty chances and are starting to look somewhat like a football team again.

In all honesty I'm starting to just 'accept' derbies aint never good days for us hibees, and I'm encouraged by things under CC as a whole, so I am hoping for a decent season next season. I want us fighting for europe and latter stage of both cups. If we have a decent season and still can't beat them, it won't bother me all that much. We have 10 other sides in the league and it seems, plenty other bogey sides and grounds too! If we can improve on some of these things, it'll help.

My school years were depressing with the derby results.
However I wake up each day thankful I'm a Hibee........ So can never be too bothered and feel grateful of that fact!

ps. they hate us so much its disgusting.
:flag:

Dashing Bob S
06-04-2011, 02:20 PM
A couple of little statistics do stand out in the time frame mentioned; 0-7, 6-2.

If you're going to win a derby, do it in style; not scrambled, grunting 1-0 wins and turgid draws.

mjhibby
06-04-2011, 02:50 PM
A couple of little statistics do stand out in the time frame mentioned; 0-7, 6-2.

If you're going to win a derby, do it in style; not scrambled, grunting 1-0 wins and turgid draws.

It is these two scorelines that hurt the jambos so much and of course their record home defeat is the 7-0 game something that will always be in their history.For all their wins in derbies the pain of these defeats is still raw with huge numbers of them.I may be proved wrong but i doubt we will see hearts ever win in that style.I suppose its the difference between us.When did hertz ever have players of the quality of sauzee and latapy.No hertz fan of my age has seen anything remotely as good as those two and boy dont they know it.