PDA

View Full Version : Once again a good, fantastic, Hibs support let down be a few.

Hibs12thMan
04-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Lets not even excuse any of it by ‘we’re not as bad as them’ for xxx reason – who gives a monkeys about them or what. There's no excuse.

So why do some folk think its OK to chuck money, lighters, sunglasses towards the pitch? I’m not just meaning at Hertz games? Because 1 idiot does it does that mean that others without the means to think for themselves should follow like sheep?

I’m quite far up the back of the East and from my viewpoint I could see virtually none of these objects made it pitch side, never mind as far as the players. I know none were likely to cause serious injury but has anyone noticed there's a fair number of families down the front? The auld codgers who canny make it up the stairs? As a father of three I fully understand the irrational fear of impending death when your kids are in perceived danger! Jeez, if a kid did get hit by a 50p it could cost the club £1,000s in lost season ticket sales from that family and their friends. And its neither wonder there's a load of empty seats at these games and why some wouldn’t consider coming to a derby.

I know how disheartened the other Hibs 12th Man guys feel who organised a wee bit of fun and after all the work, and expense, they went to to provide 1,500 pairs of Proclaimers style sunglasses to see them being launched and landing in our own support.

Its just as well there were none of these chuckers around me, otherwise their seat numbers would be currently waiting in someone's inbox at the club asking what was going to be done about them. Anyone who feels they do not want to contact the club can do so through the Hibs 12th Man.

The match was frustrating, they are an odious opposition for all sorts of reasons. There's lots of good, fantastic things going on at our stadium these days lets not let a few spoil it for the thousands of others.

Jack
On behalf of the Hibs 12th Man.

Scooter
04-04-2011, 08:54 AM
i know you should be able to do things like this but whos idea was it to put sunglasses in the east stand and what was their purpose!! as soon as i seen them i knew where they were going to end up

Frazerbob
04-04-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm not being funny mate but how anyone could think giving everyone plastic sunglasses was a good idea is beyond me. As soon as I spotted them I said they'd end up on the park. Was this authorised by the club?

Having said that, I totally agree with the points you make. The behavour of some of our support at Derbies is a disgrace. Just pop into the toilets next time you're at Tynie.

bighairyfaeleith
04-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I never got any sunglasses, is it because I'm not .net private member??:greengrin

HNA12
04-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I never got any sunglasses, is it because I'm not .net private member??:greengrin

Nowt to do with hibs.net.
But over 3000 posts without becoming a PM? Imagine how many more you could make with another forum to post on. Special offer today, just for you. One years Private Membership for a tenner or two years for twenty quid. :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Nowt to do with hibs.net.
But over 3000 posts without becoming a PM? Imagine how many more you could make with another forum to post on. Special offer today, just for you. One years Private Memebrship for a tenner or two years for twenty quid. :greengrin

:greengrin

Hibs12thMan
04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Just to expand a bit and answer some of the points raised so far.

A full risk assessment was undertaken by those in the Hibs 12th Man team who were responsible for this. The bottom line was that the glasses were deemed no more likely to thrown than any other object that is allowed into the stadium. From where I was the glasses were a secondary copy cat reaction, perhaps the people who didn’t smoke or couldn’t afford 50p! Had the glasses not been there undoubtedly the other stuff would have still been thrown, as has happened in the past, that is the issue and that’s what continues to give our support a poor reputation, both within our own and more widely.

The Hibs support was, this aside, impeccably behaved yesterday and for most at the stadium I think, result aside, the ‘matchday experience’ would have been superb. Those elsewhere who look to deflect from their own problems wont be talking about that though.

The plan, as with most Hibs 12th Man stuff that happens on match day, was discussed with the club before hand and cleared at director level – I suspect they do their own risk assessment.

The purpose was to inject a bit of fun, looking like the Proclaimers (???), while singing Sunshine on Leith.

Jack
On behalf of the Hibs 12th Man.

Frazerbob
04-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the response. You're are correct, it wasn't the glasses that were the problem, it was the idiots who threw them. However it seems to have been a temptation the idiots couldn't resist.

I have to admit, I and nobody around me had the foggiest what they were about. We didn't get the Proclaimers link. Maybe I'm just a bit thick!

Perspective
04-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Drives me crazy seeing Hibs supporters throwing stuff on to the pitch.

Especially in the current climate, every pound is a prisoner for our board. And just as the SFA can't afford to divert grassroots money to tackling Celtic's legal eagles, we can't afford to throw money away at needless fines. Not when it could be put to better use in CC's player budget or at the Academy.

Also disappointing that the majority of songs coming from the East concerned Wallace Mercer or Craig Thomson. Not knocking guys who pay their way in to support the club and trying to generate an atmosphere, but isn't it possible to be more pro-Hibs and less anti-Hearts?

ahibby
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
What is the official crowd size for yesterday?

givescotlandfreedom
04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
What is the official crowd size for yesterday?

17793 according to BBC. Wish we'd been able to squeeze a few more in to break 18000 but it must be the biggest league derby attendance for a long time.

Part/Time Supporter
04-04-2011, 01:38 PM
17793 according to BBC. Wish we'd been able to squeeze a few more in to break 18000 but it must be the biggest league derby attendance for a long time.

Highest since the millennium derby according to London Hearts. Crowd that night was 17954.

http://londonhearts.com/scores/games/199912191.html

I think the PBS held about 18,000 ~10 years ago. They removed a few rows at each end around about the time Romanov bought them to allow European games to be played there.

Jack
04-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I put this up on the Bounce as well.

Sadly there is an account of a Norwegian Hibs supporter over for the game who was hit on the head by a coin “must've been quite a gash as there was blood everywhere”.

If you were thinking twice about reporting someone for throwing stuff hopefully this will give you a nudge towards doing it.

None of us want to go home via A&E.

Pretty Boy
04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
It's easy to explain this sort of behaviour by dressing it up as being 'in the heat of the moment'. For me though that's not an excuse.

Throwing something on to the park (or in this case at your own supporters in the front few rows) is just ****ing idiotic. All it does is land Hibs with a fine and increased Police and stewarding costs for the next derby, costs we can ill afford if we want to continue investing in the team next season.

Not content with costing the club money, lets just say you 'successfully' hit a player with a coin or whatever and are caught. Thats a trip to the Sheriff Court, a fine, a criminal record and a footballing banning order for 5 years. Oh aand don't forget it might well make the local paper so explaining it to your boss should be fun.

Just the derby atmosphere and bit of banter though eh? Idiots.

RIP
04-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Drives me crazy seeing Hibs supporters throwing stuff on to the pitch.

Especially in the current climate, every pound is a prisoner for our board. And just as the SFA can't afford to divert grassroots money to tackling Celtic's legal eagles, we can't afford to throw money away at needless fines. Not when it could be put to better use in CC's player budget or at the Academy.

Also disappointing that the majority of songs coming from the East concerned Wallace Mercer or Craig Thomson. Not knocking guys who pay their way in to support the club and trying to generate an atmosphere, but isn't it possible to be more pro-Hibs and less anti-Hearts?

That's nothing mate - at McDiarmid more than half the songs were in these 2 categories or referred to Sodje's todger. Really pathetic. It does zilch to support the team and just makes us seem like we are the wee team i.e. obsessed with all things Hearts and small-minded

Our club deserves better! From Gordon Smith through Pat Stanton and Frank Sauzee we have always been about class.

These behaviours are an embarrasment to our beloved Hibernian FC

Lofarl
04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
And yet there are sone numptys on here who will defend such actions as part of a passionate support and part of the derby atmosphere.

Perspective
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
That's nothing mate - at McDiarmid more than half the songs were in these 2 categories or referred to Sodje's todger. Really pathetic. It does zilch to support the team and just makes us seem like we are the wee team i.e. obsessed with all things Hearts and small-minded

Our club deserves better! From Gordon Smith through Pat Stanton and Frank Sauzee we have always been about class.

Nail on the head. Plenty you can shout/sing in support of players, the team and the club. You know, put the 'support' into 'supporter' and actually encourage/motivate the team on the park to better things.

Sometimes I wonder if some people hate Hearts more than they support Hibs.

R'Albin
04-04-2011, 02:54 PM

Im sure Sodje's todger isn't that small :wink:

ForrieGreen
04-04-2011, 03:43 PM
tbh i sit in the west but i didn't really see any incidents in the east, the point i want to make is that i was there about 20 mins before kick-off and in the small amount of yams that were there at the time one of them was holding a big bloody beach ball so why did a steward not remove it, it was obvious what his intentions were. If i could see it from other side of west stand how can a steward a few yards away no see it.

Jack
04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
tbh i sit in the west but i didn't really see any incidents in the east, the point i want to make is that i was there about 20 mins before kick-off and in the small amount of yams that were there at the time one of them was holding a big bloody beach ball so why did a steward not remove it, it was obvious what his intentions were. If i could see it from other side of west stand how can a steward a few yards away no see it.

There were calls from some supporters from both sides to bring along beach balls because ‘it would be a good laugh’.

From where I was ‘sitting’ the 20, or so, beach balls that appeared were soon feeling a bit deflated as a garden fork made short work of them – a waste of money IMO for 2 minutes of fun, should anyone think of doing similar in future. :rolleyes:

marinello59
04-04-2011, 04:52 PM

The only problem I have with beach balls being taken along is the total lack of originality being shown I don't really see why the stewards should confiscate them either, I don't know of anybody that has suffered a beach ball related injury.

BroxburnHibee
04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
If shouting 'beast' at a player (even if he's one of them) is being a supporter then I'm giving it all up.

marinello59
04-04-2011, 05:02 PM
If shouting 'beast' at a player (even if he's one of them) is being a supporter then I'm giving it all up.

Totally agree. I had to stop my nine year old boy innocently joining in with that one. It's just plain wrong.

I'm_cabbaged
04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
The only problem I have with beach balls being taken along is the total lack of originality being shown I don't really see why the stewards should confiscate them either, I don't know of anybody that has suffered a beach ball related injury.

Apart from sand getting skiffed up my birds rear end. :greengrin

seanraff07
04-04-2011, 05:04 PM

I'm definitely for bringing beach balls as it adds to the colour, as i am with streamers etc aswell... but it's a bit pointless if your bringing them solely to punch them onto the pitch the minute you inflate them cause someone will burst it within seconds. But i like seeing all the beach balls, flags, streamers and balloons if it's to add to the atmosphere.

darwenhibby
04-04-2011, 05:08 PM

I do Liverpool v Sunderland:faf: They were hurting all season.

Nameless
04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I did something yesterday that I have never done before, I "grassed" on a fellow hibby. The moron in front of me threw a hand full of loose change, just missing Bouzids(sp) head, as well as countless pairs of specs onto the pitch. I have been thrown out of many games over the years so I am no angel, but I was disgusted by these actions, which the lad made no attempt to hide. This was seen by stewards who were too timid to act. Eventually it was a choice between lamping him or getting him chucked out so I grabbed the nearest copper and told him to get the lad to ****. 2 of the lads who I was with were hit by missles thrown from behind us which were aimed at Thomson, and in the second half it very nearly kicked off with the dafties mate who was left. All this pretty much ruined my first day out at the football for months, and I'm left with the feeling that I would have enjoyed the day a lot more if I had sparked the lad out instead of getting him huckled.

Removed
04-04-2011, 06:50 PM
I did something yesterday that I have never done before, I "grassed" on a fellow hibby. The moron in front of me threw a hand full of loose change, just missing Bouzids(sp) head, as well as countless pairs of specs onto the pitch. I have been thrown out of many games over the years so I am no angel, but I was disgusted by these actions, which the lad made no attempt to hide. This was seen by stewards who were too timid to act. Eventually it was a choice between lamping him or getting him chucked out so I grabbed the nearest copper and told him to get the lad to ****. 2 of the lads who I was with were hit by missles thrown from behind us which were aimed at Thomson, and in the second half it very nearly kicked off with the dafties mate who was left. All this pretty much ruined my first day out at the football for months, and I'm left with the feeling that I would have enjoyed the day a lot more if I had sparked the lad out instead of getting him huckled.

Well done

RIP
04-04-2011, 08:29 PM

:thumbsup: Well done mate

These **** are going to learn that we Hibbies won't put up with folk soiling the name of this great club

Shop em - Bin em - Zero tolerance for vermin

cabbageandribs1875
04-04-2011, 09:24 PM
:thumbsup: Well done mate

These **** are going to learn that we Hibbies won't put up with folk soiling the name of this great club

Shop em - Bin em - Zero tolerance for vermin

while i fully agree with most posters thoughts regarding those moronic eejits, is calling fellow hibby's vermin not a tad extreme ?? misguided yes....but hardly vermin, leave that crap for paedo's etc etc eh

WarringtonHibee
04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Was not happy at all seeing stuff getting lobbed, but thankfully the majority of us know how to behave. :agree:

Don't throw stuff, just shout until you lose your voice! :greengrin

RIP
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
while i fully agree with most posters thoughts regarding those moronic eejits, is calling fellow hibby's vermin not a tad extreme ?? misguided yes....but hardly vermin, leave that crap for paedo's etc etc eh

VERMIN
1. Noxious, objectionable, or disgusting animals collectivelythat appear commonly and are difficult to control,
2. An objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively

People who drag our club into the gutter don't deserve the phrase 'fellow hibbys'. Whether they deserve the term 'vermin' mate - I'm happy to let others decide

I'm still no sure I would pash on them if they were on fire - the way I feel at the moment

Hibercelona
05-04-2011, 12:13 AM
A poor we lad sitting in front of me in the east took a hard one on the back of the head, thanks to some git throwing his sunglasses down. But there were 100's being thrown, which I thought was a disgrace.

If you're going to throw something, make sure its heading towards those muppets, not your own fans! :devil:

R'Albin
05-04-2011, 05:56 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Bigotry-39not-unique-to-the.6746071.jp?articlepage=1

These twats are making us look bad.

Dinkydoo
05-04-2011, 06:05 AM
At least the behaviour of almost all Yams and some of our own on Sunday hasn't gone unnoticed.

We need to stand up to these utter twats and let them know that thier behaviour is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

hibeedonald
05-04-2011, 09:23 AM
yeah personally dont sing the mercer the songs, and especially hate hearing them when were not playing hearts.

As for the pedo stuff at Craig Thompson, his passes on the left side all went stray, and he couldn't tackle, i thought he was intimidated so therefore the chants did help hibs so i joined in.

R'Albin
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
yeah personally dont sing the mercer the songs, and especially hate hearing them when were not playing hearts.

As for the pedo stuff at Craig Thompson, his passes on the left side all went stray, and he couldn't tackle, i thought he was intimidated so therefore the chants did help hibs so i joined in.

:agree: I'm exactly the same, don't sing the skacel song either.

--------
05-04-2011, 11:21 AM

"Fellow Hibbies"? Wrap a turd in a Hibs scarf - it's still a turd.

Throwing coins and other missiles at people is criminal behaviour and those who do it are criminals. Not "misguided", not even "stupid", but malicious, irresponsible and criminal.

BTW - who exactly are you referring to as "paedos"? This isn't blanket abuse for Hearts supporters, is it?

VERMIN

1. Noxious, objectionable, or disgusting animals collectively that appear commonly and are difficult to control,
2. An objectionable or obnoxious person, or such persons collectively.

People who drag our club into the gutter don't deserve the phrase 'fellow hibbys'. Whether they deserve the term 'vermin' mate - I'm happy to let others decide.

I'm still no sure I would pash on them if they were on fire - the way I feel at the moment.

As you say. :agree:

Personally, I wouldn't lump these individuals in with rats, mice, and cockroaches - the rats, mice and cockraoches might be offended.

As for your last comment - surely it would depend on whether they were likely to set fire to something more worth saving than themselves - like a wheelie-bin or some empty cardboard boxes? :devil:

allezsauzee
05-04-2011, 12:34 PM
If you don't want to sing 'the mercer song' or that Rudi Scacel is a refugee than fine, thats your choice but don't feel you need to preach your PC sanitised version of football on others who enjoy the special derby atmosphere.

--------
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
If you don't want to sing 'the mercer song' or that Rudi Scacel is a refugee than fine, thats your choice but don't feel you need to preach your PC sanitised version of football on others who enjoy the special derby atmosphere.

I note your username.

Wasn't it Franck Sauzee who persuaded the Hibs support at a derby at Tynecastle to point out a moron who had thrown something at Annti Niemi?

"Special derby atmoshpere"? What's that? Being as racist and abusive and homophobic and downright nasty as you possibly can be for a couple of hours, knowing that the people you're venting your bile at won't retaliate in kind?

"Special derby atmosphere" = "Imitation Old firm Bigotry and bile".

marinello59
05-04-2011, 12:46 PM

:faf:
It's the fitba so you can behave however the hell you want and stuff everybody else. Is that it then? OK, debate over.

allezsauzee
05-04-2011, 12:51 PM
:faf:
It's the fitba so you can behave however the hell you want and stuff everybody else. Is that it then? OK, debate over.

Did I say that?

Jack
05-04-2011, 12:52 PM

If you want to sing 'the mercer song' or that Rudi Scacel is a refugee dont sit next to me - I have a seat at Easter Road.

marinello59
05-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Did I say that?

OK, maybe I should rephrase that.
It's OK for you to sing whatever the hell you like at football but nobody should question your behaviour because it's the football. Is that better?

--------
05-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Did I say that?

You were talking about the "special derby atmosphere" - on Sunday that included flying pizza and people being hit by 50p coins.

I remember the days when the "special derby atmosphere" included flying beer-cans of piss coming down the terrace and drunks pissing down the back of your legs. Running fights up Easter Road. A furniture van parked at the back of the stand where the polis would put the hooligans.

Yeah, great, let's have it all back. :rolleyes:

allezsauzee
05-04-2011, 01:07 PM
If you want to sing 'the mercer song' or that Rudi Scacel is a refugee dont sit next to me - I have a seat at Easter Road.

I have no desire to sing either song to be perfectly honest but it's a football match not a game of snooker. Maybe we should all keep quiet while the Hearts players take corners so we don't put them off and then we can truly be the most sporting set of fans in britain.

marinello59
05-04-2011, 01:08 PM
I have no desire to sing either song to be perfectly honest but it's a football match not a game of snooker. Maybe we should all keep quiet while the Hearts players take corners so we don't put them off and then we can truly be the most sporting set of fans in britain.

That comment is just plain dumb. Who has suggested we do that?

allezsauzee
05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
That comment is just plain dumb. Who has suggested we do that?

Not specifically, but people seem to be suggesting that we shouldn't cause any offence to opposition fans, so presumbaly the next step would be to not upset opposition players...incidentally i'm offended that you called my comment dumb!

Jack
05-04-2011, 01:30 PM

Nobody said we had to be quiet – you said, even if you say you don’t do it yourself, that’s its OK to be racist and / or bigoted. As you'll have seen from this thread most folk think that’s unacceptable.

I’m not suggesting a sanitised, PC version of football supporting just one that fits common decency in 2011.

allezsauzee
05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Well I would suggest that if you're looking to avoid offensive chants then you may be following the wrong sport. Perhaps the moral majority inside Easter Road can drown out these yobs with by tutting and rustling their Daily Mails?

--------
05-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Not specifically, but people seem to be suggesting that we shouldn't cause any offence to opposition fans, so presumbaly the next step would be to not upset opposition players...incidentally i'm offended that you called my comment dumb!

I actually couldn't care less how the Hearts fans feel, except that I hope that one day very soon they're going to have the experience of leaving an Edinburgh derby sick and hurting after a comprehensive defeat. And then I WILL GLOAT.

But I don't want to sit in a crowd at ER where I have to listen to the people around me spouting racist bile. Nor am I happy at the thought of people bringing their personal hang-ups, whether those hang-ups are political, sexual, racial or whatever, into the stadium with the intention of inflicting them on the other spectators.

Bad enough that supporters of visiting teams do this. Far worse when we do it ourselves. There's absolutely no reason why supporting Hibs HAS to involve constantly bad-mouthing the opposition and giving vent to the hate, bigotry, prejudice and anger that so many of us carry as baggage through life.

I don't deplore the Skacel song because it offends the Hearts fans - I don't like it or those who sing it because it offends ME.

R'Albin
05-04-2011, 02:34 PM
Well I would suggest that if you're looking to avoid offensive chants then you may be following the wrong sport. Perhaps the moral majority inside Easter Road can drown out these yobs with by tutting and rustling their Daily Mails?

As someone on this thread (or another one) mentioned the kids can pick up on these chants, and ignorantly join in, also it reflects badly on the club.

--------
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Or even my Airdrie Advertiser? :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I actually couldn't care less how the Hearts fans feel, except that I hope that one day very soon they're going to have the experience of leaving an Edinburgh derby sick and hurting after a comprehensive defeat. And then I WILL GLOAT.

But I don't want to sit in a crowd at ER where I have to listen to the people around me spouting racist bile. Nor am I happy at the thought of people bringing their personal hang-ups, whether those hang-ups are political, sexual, racial or whatever, into the stadium with the intention of inflicting them on the other spectators.

Bad enough that supporters of visiting teams do this. Far worse when we do it ourselves. There's absolutely no reason why supporting Hibs HAS to involve constantly bad-mouthing the opposition and giving vent to the hate, bigotry, prejudice and anger that so many of us carry as baggage through life.

I don't deplore the Skacel song because it offends the Hearts fans - I don't like it or those who sing it because it offends ME.

My feelings exactly:top marks

lEXO
05-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Really is some garbage been posted on here. The special derby atmosphere is about backing the Hibs, winding up the jambos and trying to enjoy it. There is a huge difference between creating an atmosphere and behaving like a bam. A bam chucks stuff, abuses their own support and spoils the day for those around them.
I fancied moving back to the East this season, but told my young cousin that i didnae want to take the chance of being sat next to some different bam every home game. We stayed were we were and we are both glad we did. It,s sad because the singing section in the East and the whole 12th man thing has certainly helped to create a better atmosphere this season.Dont let the bams spoil it, point them out to the club and let those who want to support the team but know where to draw the line enjoy the special derby experience.

Beefster
05-04-2011, 03:47 PM

This argument is trotted out every time we have debates like this.

"if we can't be bigoted then we'll have nothing else to say/sing/shout"

I don't actually believe that anyone is daft enough to believe that, mind you.

allezsauzee
05-04-2011, 04:19 PM
My feelings exactly:top marks
Well thats fine you're entitled to your opinion, but my point is that so are they guys who sing about Skacel and Mercer. I'm not condoning the throwing of missiles at players but you have a choice whether you want to go to the football and no doubt hear swearing and genrally offensive language just like you have the choice to listen to it on tv etc

R'Albin
05-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Well thats fine you're entitled to your opinion, but my point is that so are they guys who sing about Skacel and Mercer. I'm not condoning the throwing of missiles at players but you have a choice whether you want to go to the football and no doubt hear swearing and genrally offensive language just like you have the choice to listen to it on tv etc

Thats not the point, the point is that it makes us look bad. And football is ment to be a family place, there is no place for songs like the Mercer and Skacel ones.

hibeedonald
05-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Thats not the point, the point is that it makes us look bad. And football is ment to be a family place, there is no place for songs like the Mercer and Skacel ones.

I wouldn't say footballs meant to be family place

Jack
05-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Why not?

Removed
05-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Why not?

It's a working man's game :rolleyes:

Hibernia Na Eir
05-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm not being funny mate but how anyone could think giving everyone plastic sunglasses was a good idea is beyond me. As soon as I spotted them I said they'd end up on the park. Was this authorised by the club?

dont think i would have thrown them on myself...

Jack
05-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Its everyones game. :agree:

Removed
05-04-2011, 06:14 PM

:agree: exactly

R'Albin
05-04-2011, 06:21 PM

:agree:

--------
05-04-2011, 06:28 PM

The main problem confronting Hibs is the question of how to fill just over 17,000 seats in the three home stands at ER.

And this while Rangers and Celtic hold the largest market share of the domestic game by far, an apparently perpetual hold on European Champions' League places, and almost all the publicity provided by newspapers and TV.

So in my opinion we either find a sugar-daddy to fund a huge investment in players (speculate to accumulate, or gamble the future of the club to achieve success in the short term) or we do as the board have been doing, build from the bottom with progressively greater investment in the team without endangering the present or future welfare of the club by spending money we don't now have, money we probably never will have.

The way to do this is to attract new fans - people who haven't been in the habit of going to football in the past. We were doing this in Mowbray's time, but then we hit the skids for a while. We need to get back on that track again, IMO, and that means families, children, women and people who wouldn't naturally think of themselves as football fans being attracted.

Racist abuse, songs about players' sex-lives, missiles flying around and a vocal minority airing their prejudices and hate while another section of the support look on talking rubbish about "real football culture" won't help that process in the slightest degree.

It's not about being the most sporting (and politically correct) supporters in the world. It's about creating an atmosphere in the stadium that will encourage people to come and enjoy themselves without being frightened for their own or their children's safety, and without having to tolerate the sort of vileness that some of us seem to want to cultivate at the games.

Change happens. We either accept this, and use it to advantage, or we go the same way as the dinosaurs.

hibeedonald
06-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Well its true, football not "meant" to be for families, I'm not saying they shouldn't be there and there support isn't valued, but historically football was the working man's game.

marinello59
06-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Well its true, football not "meant" to be for families, I'm not saying they shouldn't be there and there support isn't valued, but historically football was the working man's game.

Are you saying working men don't know how to behave around kids then? :confused:

hibeedonald
06-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Are you saying working men don't know how to behave around kids then? :confused:

nope

marinello59
06-04-2011, 04:15 PM
nope

So what is the connection between it being a traditional working mans sport and the presence of families these days? I don't understand why the two can't be compatible.:confused:

Removed
06-04-2011, 05:09 PM

So how come I went as as bairn and my dad did and my granda did. Most of us in our 30's and 40's would be able to say the same :confused:

FranckSuzy
06-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Just my tuppence worth but surely people don't really think they can act in a totally different way than 'their' norm just because it's within the confines of a football stadium? :confused: If you were to go along the road or walk about in a shop singing racist/homophobic/bigoted/generally offensive songs, you'd more than likely get lifted or challenged, at the very least, in no uncertain terms.

Oh, and I think certain football clubs (HoMFC) should take responsibility for their part in all of this. You don't even see Rangers or Celtic staff, publicly at least, being derisory about the other team, in fact they go out of their way to be complimentary. That lot make a meal out of it and just stir it up even more :rolleyes:.

derekduval
06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Always going to get these situations when you mix young lads with alcohol.:party:

Throwing things is out of order but its very difficult to prevent so I would recommend not sitting near the front particularly in the east and if people don't like the songs being sung I would suggest they move away from the singing section. Plenty other seats.:aok:

Removed
06-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Always going to get these situations when you mix young lads with alcohol.:party:

Throwing things is out of order but its very difficult to prevent so I would recommend not sitting near the front particularly in the east and if people don't like the songs being sung I would suggest they move away from the singing section. Plenty other seats.:aok:

So what do I do about my ears? What do I do at away games?

Jack
06-04-2011, 05:50 PM

Just a couple of things.

It shouldn't take long to spot the young lads with alcohol, or anyone else the next time if they start chucking stuff and once a few themselves get thrown … out I think others will very quickly get the message it won’t be tolerated. You're wrong when you say we will always get these situations.

Same with the songs, if it’s you that’s singing them, or anyone else, stay away from the Singing Section, in fact stay away from Easter Road. Judging by what has been said here and elsewhere, you are no longer welcome.

marinello59
06-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Always going to get these situations when you mix ********s with alcohol.:party:

Fixed that for you.

derekduval
06-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Just a couple of things.

It shouldn't take long to spot the young lads with alcohol, or anyone else the next time if they start chucking stuff and once a few themselves get thrown … out I think others will very quickly get the message it won’t be tolerated. You're wrong when you say we will always get these situations.

Same with the songs, if it’s you that’s singing them, or anyone else, stay away from the Singing Section, in fact stay away from Easter Road. Judging by what has been said here and elsewhere, you are no longer welcome.

Point 1: Lets hope so perhaps the police can monitor it on the cameras and make a few examples.:agree:

Point 2: Whoa Buddy I do not sing these songs.:bitchy: Rarely go nowadays to be honest.
Personally not that bothered about them but wouldn't get involved because as you say they are no longer welcome, are socially unacceptable and I am aware of the consequences of my actions. :aok:

Cheers Marinello59 :agree:

65bd what about those eardefenders for operating nosiy machinery - in fact thats not a bad idea you sometimes see kids with them on at concerts. They could sell them in the shop, helmets too.:hmmm:

need to work out how to quote properly:flag:

HNA6
06-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Point 1: Lets hope so perhaps the police can monitor it on the cameras and make a few examples.:agree:

Point 2: Whoa Buddy I do not sing these songs.:bitchy: Rarely go nowadays to be honest.
Personally not that bothered about them but wouldn't get involved because as you say they are no longer welcome, are socially unacceptable and I am aware of the consequences of my actions. :aok:

65bd what about those eardefenders for operating nosiy machinery - in fact thats not a bad idea you sometimes see kids with them on at concerts. They could sell them in the shop, helmets too.:hmmm:

need to work out how to quote properly:flag:Bottom bar ..right hand side .."reply with quote" ... http://www.hibs.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2774232 :aok:

Jack
06-04-2011, 07:24 PM

need to work out how to quote properly:flag:

I was careful to say IF it was you :-)

derekduval
06-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Bottom bar ..right hand side .."reply with quote" ... http://www.hibs.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2774232 :aok:

Cheers buddy got the basics it was more the multiquote which i have just found next to it and also how to break up someones post and reply to sections. Thanks

derekduval
06-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I was careful to say IF it was you :-)

No worries buddy :thumbsup:

:flag: