PDA

View Full Version : was that really a free kick?

hibeedonald
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77c1Tn2dlgQ&feature=player_embedded

no chance.

keep the faith
03-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Was blazing about this at the time. Never a free kick and they should never have had the chance to score.

PeeJay
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM

no chance.

Doesn't really matter now does it? The ref gave it, we should have defended it better. Think it's a bit harsh myself, but ...

LaMotta
03-04-2011, 03:59 PM

no chance.

no chance awful decision from Brines.

But what the hell is Towell doing at the set piece - he's marking Elliott as the ball is played then just allows him to wander in completely unmarked - shocking stuff.

Monts
03-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Thought at the time it was a terrible decision, and that confirms it.

Obviously we shouldve defended it better, but everyone, including the ref, knew their best chance of scoring would come from a set piece.

iwasthere1972
03-04-2011, 04:05 PM

no chance.

Never a free kick. Didn't think so at the time either even though I was at least 50 yards away from the incident.

hibeedonald
03-04-2011, 04:07 PM
only way they would score was a set piece, for it to have been a good tackle does my head in.

still enjoyed today, took 4 neutrals who hadn't been before and there all wanting come back next week they enjoyed themselves that much.

Alfred E Newman
03-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Never a free kick in a hundred years. It will soon be a total non contact sport.
Hibs have only themselves to blame for not winning the game. If the ball had been on the other foot we would have lost by 3 or 4 goals.

Hibs Class
03-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Thought at the time it wasn't a foul. Seeing it again I'm still certain it wasn't. After the match Chick Young claimed he'd been told it was given for Thornhill's trailing leg.

sunshine1875
03-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Never a free kick in the eyes of most, but the reason that Brines gave it was the scything action with Thornhill's left leg. The fact that Thornhill got the ball is irrelevant, it is deemed to be dangerous play. From my view in the FFL, Brines clearly indicated Thornhill scything of the Yam.

Now of course these things do even themselves out over a season, but I don't recall much going our way this season. When you think of Nish holding the Well player's shirt (not a tug) and a penalty was given against us, Miller's sending off later reprieved, Dichoh sending off (later reprieved) and penalty. Let us hope that next season we get more decisions going our way rather than against.

hibee4life1983
03-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Not in a million years, I knew they would score from it, there so lucky, they are possibly the luckiest team in any derby across the world, they get away with murder, they always get the breaks and usually the ref in edinburgh derbys seems to favour them. People say you make your own luck but they dont, they just seem to get it all ther way in the derbys

I hope it changes soon, I cant keep watching the derby if it doesnt! My throat and fists are killing me from screaming and punching my seat in disbelief. GET IT SORTED PETRIE AND CC.

down-the-slope
03-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Not from the very close view i had...

However the marking (or lack) by Murray getting under the ball was poor..as was marking in the middle as it was headed back...

Still never seen so many clear chances for us in a derby in 25 years of watching....more composure from Sodgie / Derek in particular and we would have won at a canter

Bishop Hibee
03-04-2011, 05:17 PM

no chance.

Agree. Ref inconsistent as was the linesman in front of the East.

Jones28
03-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Absolutely knew they would score. Typical Derby :fuming:

matty_f
03-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Absolutely knew they would score. Typical Derby :fuming:

:agree:

As soon as the free kick was given, and it was never, ever, ever a free-kick, it was obvious what was coming. We should have defended it properly but we didn't defend well all game.

frazeHFC
03-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Very harsh. Thornhill was fouled at least 4 times including a blatant trip and got nowt. So i feel sorry for him a lot. Still should have defended better though.

It was a typical Hearts goal, sit back and when they need a goal they get it straight away.......

Baldy Foghorn
03-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Doesn't really matter now does it? The ref gave it, we should have defended it better. Think it's a bit harsh myself, but ...

Never a foul, but our defending of the resultant free kick was atrocious......

147lothian
03-04-2011, 07:07 PM
I thought it was never a free kick in a year of sundays, but appart from the sending off, I thought the ref had a really poor game, did he really have to book millar after he scored? its an emotional game and he never even crossed the line, i thought the ref could have just said go back up there, end of story!

Prof. Shaggy
03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Never a free kick in the eyes of most, but the reason that Brines gave it was the scything action with Thornhill's left leg. The fact that Thornhill got the ball is irrelevant, it is deemed to be dangerous play. From my view in the FFL, Brines clearly indicated Thornhill scything of the Yam.

Which scything action would that be?:confused:

BoltonHibee
03-04-2011, 10:13 PM

I know:agree:

Cannot for the life of me fathom out why he gave a free kick, there was no scything!

03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Never a free kick, perfectly good tackle. Once against incompitant refereeing haunts us. Bunch of cheating clowns the lot of them.

However, we need to look a bit closer to home here, our defending at set pieces is awful and fine well hearts knew this so set pieces is what they played for. This is a prime example of how soft our back four is at set pieces. Elliot and the hearts number 6 were standing there totally unmarked infront of goal.

Shambolic defending that once against cost us all 3 points. This MUST be the first priority in the summer, get a solid centre half, someone who can strenthen and organise the back line.

BoltonHibee
03-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Never a free kick, perfectly good tackle. Once against incompitant refereeing haunts us. Bunch of cheating clowns the lot of them.

However, we need to look a bit closer to home here, our defending at set pieces is awful and fine well hearts knew this so set pieces is what they played for. This is a prime example of how soft our back four is at set pieces. Elliot and the hearts number 6 were standing there totally unmarked infront of goal.

Shambolic defending that once against cost us all 3 points. This MUST be the first priority in the summer, get a solid centre half, someone who can strenthen and organise the back line.

:agree: Our defending was comical at times today. Everytime they got a corner or free kick near our box you feared the worst..

bob12345
03-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Yes, it was never a free kick, but let's forget about the referee and look at ourselves.

Ultimately it was just one of a number of questionable refereeing decisions, as with most games, in the centre of the park. If they hadn't scored nothing would have been said. If we can't defend a set piece, we don't deserve to win the game.

I can understand people getting angry about penalties, etc, but you can't just drag back a goal that's our fault to the nearest refereeing error.

Tricla
04-04-2011, 06:53 AM

Now of course these things do even themselves out over a season, but I don't recall much going our way this season. When you think of Nish holding the Well player's shirt (not a tug) and a penalty was given against us, Miller's sending off later reprieved, Dichoh sending off (later reprieved) and penalty. Let us hope that next season we get more decisions going our way rather than against.

He won the ball fairly.

Scything??

If this action isn't allowed then what harvesting tool should be mimmicked when tackling?

Tricla
04-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Yes, it was never a free kick, but let's forget about the referee and look at ourselves.

Ultimately it was just one of a number of questionable refereeing decisions, as with most games, in the centre of the park. If they hadn't scored nothing would have been said. If we can't defend a set piece, we don't deserve to win the game.

I can understand people getting angry about penalties, etc, but you can't just drag back a goal that's our fault to the nearest refereeing error.

It's not as if we are dragging it back to the nearest refereeing error. Their wholly undeserved equaliser was a direct result of a poor refereeing decision.

Geo_1875
04-04-2011, 07:08 AM
There was no scything in the challenge. It was Thornhills momentum which brought about the contact. The reaction of the hertz player to the minimal contact made it look worse than it was. We shouldn't be surprised though, they were at it all game. Early on Templeton went down as if both his achilles tendons had been ripped out. When a Hibs player knocked the ball back and it hit him he leapt up to see who had done it. Referees should be smart enough to take note of this and punish them accordingly. With regard to the defending for the goal, it was poor. We should have left Webster alone at the back post because if he's got nobody to lean on he's useless.

Kaiser1962
04-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Maybe he was expected to leave his left leg behind when making the tackle? :dunno:

ArabHibee
04-04-2011, 07:30 AM
There was no scything in the challenge. It was Thornhills momentum which brought about the contact. The reaction of the hertz player to the minimal contact made it look worse than it was. We shouldn't be surprised though, they were at it all game. Early on Templeton went down as if both his achilles tendons had been ripped out. When a Hibs player knocked the ball back and it hit him he leapt up to see who had done it. Referees should be smart enough to take note of this and punish them accordingly. With regard to the defending for the goal, it was poor. We should have left Webster alone at the back post because if he's got nobody to lean on he's useless.
To be fair, Vaz Te went down like a sack of tatties a couple of times writhing in agony until the free kick was given, then jumped up and ran on with nout wrong with him.

Saorsa
04-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Never thought it was a free kick at the time and still dinnae, terrible (one of many) decision IMO. Nevertheless it was given and it should have been defended far better than it was.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Certainly not a free-kick but that really isnae the point surely? After they went a man down, defensively, clearing that situation was all we had to do in nearly 50 minutes of open play. Not closing out a win with less than 10 minutes to go is bad enough but against 10 men it is not acceptable. Once again, basic mistakes let us down.

Kojock
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Said at the time it was never a free kick.

However, Hearts were down to 10 men, they left two men back and the goalie for the free kick, so the maximum number of Herzt players in our box was seven. Hibs brought everyone back so we had 11 V 7 so how the **** were there three Hertz players unmarked when the ball was headed back by Webster.

Very very poor defending.

JimBHibees
04-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Dreadful decision by a dreadful ref, he was 5 yards away and gives a foul when Thornhill clearly won the ball. Our defending by in particular Murray for the first header and the lack of reaction to the second ball was pub league. They had 10 men and 2 of them found themselves totally unmarked in the middle of the goal with 5 mins left, very poor marking.

offshorehibby
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
He definitely got the ball but what i think we should be hi-lighting is the the poor defending for both goals. Hearts players left in loads of space and Hibs players out of position marking the wrong players/areas.

Hibs7
04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Thought at the time it wasn't a foul. Seeing it again I'm still certain it wasn't. After the match Chick Young claimed he'd been told it was given for Thornhill's trailing leg.
Where the hell is he supposed to put his trailing leg ?????

basehibby
04-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Pathetic decision by the ref to award a free kick for what was a perfectly executed tackle - unfortunately our defending of the free kick was equally pathetic - all too bloody predictable as Hibs f*** up YET another derby and let their supporters down once again :fuming:

bob12345
04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
It's not as if we are dragging it back to the nearest refereeing error. Their wholly undeserved equaliser was a direct result of a poor refereeing decision.

The ball was 40 yards out from goal. In these kind of areas there are 5-10 bad refereeing decisions in a game. Just because it was late in the game and they decided to lump it in the box, and we defended it horribly, doesn't make it any different to all of the others which don't merit a thread.

scotthfc
05-04-2011, 11:18 AM
not a free-kick:bitchy:, even a few of my Jambo mates have said the the free-kick should never of been given. Brines is just a dirty little yam. :fuming:

brydekirk
05-04-2011, 11:51 AM
:agree:
Was blazing about this at the time. Never a free kick and they should never have had the chance to score.

sunshine1875
05-04-2011, 12:02 PM

He won the ball fairly.

Scything??

If this action isn't allowed then what harvesting tool should be mimmicked when tackling?

Sorry if I have given the impression that I agree with the ref's decision. I don't.

The ref indicated the reason he gave it was scything, even though the video replay which the ref doesn't get a chance to see clearly shows there is no scything. Now I could be contoversial and claim that the ref, having seen the Hertz go down in the game couldn't wait to give the decision to the Hertz, but I won't!!!

Rather than being critical of the ref, I would rather pick fault at our defending. For both of their goals, they had time and space to score and this is something we must work harder at.

--------
05-04-2011, 06:55 PM

"FIFA Laws of the Game 2010/11"; p.32 - Law 12.

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
• trips or attempts to trip an opponent
• jumps at an opponent
• charges an opponent
• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
• pushes an opponent
• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent
• spits at an opponent
• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred
(see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

I'm sorry to say you're absolutely right. Not for any personal reasons, of course, but beacuse the way this particular law is phrased means a referee can give a free-kick for virtually any tackle no matter how it's carried out. Indeed, it almost encourages him to do so.

Looking at that video, I really don't know where Matt could have put his trailing leg where it wouldn't have come into contact with Thompson. To my eye that was a perfectly good tackle; Matt T took the ball cleanly, and Thompson got up perfectly fit afterwards.

It's a game for girlies nowadays, guys.

Franck Stanton
05-04-2011, 08:53 PM

no chance.

Agree never ever a free kick, however goal resulted from VERY bad defending from the cross. We really should be able to deal with a cross into our box a lot better than we did, [or didn't as the case may be]. After the sending off we took total control, wasted chance after chance and the only way they were going to score was from a set piece, [ corner, free kick,penalty etc].