PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings

essexhibee
03-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Marks out of ten :

Brown (7) - Looked steady enough and was better with his kicking. Great save in first half from close range. Think he is a decent enough replacement for Stack.
Booth (7) - Really like the look of this lad. Good going forward and decent enough at defending aswell. Some crosses a bit wayward today.
Dickho (6) - Still doesnt look comfortable at times and should have scored right at the end of the first half. This position needs to be looked at.
Hanlon (6) - Thought he was ok today but always seems to never play aswell as he can in derby games. Should have had a penalty against him in the first half.
Towell (6) - He looked decent going forward but still made a number of poor crosses that were overhit. Regardless really hope we can somehow hold on to him.
Scott (7) - Real fighter and I think hes movement and range of passing today was good. Nasty challenge on Black but we will let him off.
Thornhill (5) - Never really affected the game apart from one through ball while on the ground right at the death where Riordan should have scored.
Palsson (7) - Thought he looked comfortable and assured on the ball. No idea why he was substitued? Unlucky with his miss looked like it bobbled up.
Miller (7) - Great penalty. Calm as you like and he showed real emotion with the celebration. Think he played well today with some classy touches. Was angry to see him have to go off injured.
Sodje (4) - Was he playing today? Beaten in the air time and time again by Webster and Zaliukas and apart from getting the penalty was anonymous. Poor performance from him and yet to be convinced - one shot he had was embarrassing.
Riordan (3) - Derek Derek Derek. Plays for himself and no-one but himself and had a number of opportunities to score or put players in for which he failed to do every time. Even nicked the ball off of Vaz Te at the end.

Subs :

Vaz Te (For Scott) (6) - Thought he looked OK when he came on. Great skill shown for the goal and great celebration to go with it. Unlucky at the end when Mr Riordan decided to go for all the glory (yet again) when he had the better body position for the shot.
Murray (For Miller) (2) - Rubbish. Shocking defending for their equaliser. Hes finished.
Wotherspoon (For Palsson) (6) - Thought he had a good few crosses and one-on-one situations down the right hand side when he came on.

Hiber-nation
03-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Marks out of ten :

Brown (7) - Looked steady enough and was better with his kicking. Great save in first half from close range. Think he is a decent enough replacement for Stack.
Booth (7) - Really like the look of this lad. Good going forward and decent enough at defending aswell. Some crosses a bit wayward today.
Dickho (6) - Still doesnt look comfortable at times and should have scored right at the end of the first half. This position needs to be looked at.
Hanlon (6) - Thought he was ok today but always seems to never play aswell as he can in derby games. Should have had a penalty against him in the first half.
Towell (6) - He looked decent going forward but still made a number of poor crosses that were overhit. Regardless really hope we can somehow hold on to him.
Scott (7) - Real fighter and I think hes movement and range of passing today was good. Nasty challenge on Black but we will let him off.
Thornhill (5) - Never really affected the game apart from one through ball while on the ground right at the death where Riordan should have scored.
Palsson (7) - Thought he looked comfortable and assured on the ball. No idea why he was substitued? Unlucky with his miss looked like it bobbled up.
Miller (7) - Great penalty. Calm as you like and he showed real emotion with the celebration. Think he played well today with some classy touches. Was angry to see him have to go off injured.
Sodje (4) - Was he playing today? Beaten in the air time and time again by Webster and Zaliukas and apart from getting the penalty was anonymous. Poor performance from him and yet to be convinced - one shot he had was embarrassing.
Riordan (3) - Derek Derek Derek. Plays for himself and no-one but himself and had a number of opportunities to score or put players in for which he failed to do every time. Even nicked the ball off of Vaz Te at the end.

Subs :

Vaz Te (For Scott) (6) - Thought he looked OK when he came on. Great skill shown for the goal and great celebration to go with it. Unlucky at the end when Mr Riordan decided to go for all the glory (yet again) when he had the better body position for the shot.
Murray (For Miller) (2) - Rubbish. Shocking defending for their equaliser. Hes finished.
Wotherspoon (For Palsson) (6) - Thought he had a good few crosses and one-on-one situations down the right hand side when he came on.

I'd give Booth at least 8, Thornhill 7, Miller 8, Scott 5, Sodje 5, Deeks 4 and the rest I'd probably just about agree with :wink:

Green forever
03-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Marks out of ten :

[Dickho (6) - Still doesnt look comfortable at times and should have scored right at the end of the first half. This position needs to be looked at.

I thought he was OK today, looked solid in the air and didn't try tp play fancy football just passed to one of his more talented full backs.
Wasn't it Sodje who missed with the header just before half time ?

matty_f
03-04-2011, 02:51 PM
I thought thornhill was our best player today.

Beefster
03-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I thought he was OK today, looked solid in the air and didn't try tp play fancy football just passed to one of his more talented full backs.
Wasn't it Sodje who missed with the header just before half time ?

No, it was Dickoh.

I thought everyone played well enough to get pass marks except for Riordan and Sodje.

LaMotta
03-04-2011, 03:17 PM

opinions and all that but i thought he was poor - looks off the pace and gave the ball away too often.

Have to say though he put in a great crunching tackle which Brines incorrectly penalised leading to their equaliser.

Allant1981
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM

He was hardly in the game imo

fife hfc
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
It certainly is all about opinions as i thought Thornhill played well and never stopped running. I also thought Riordan worked harder than he has in a long time but was very poor in his finishing.

Brown 7
Towell 7
Booth 8
Hanlon 7
Dickoh 7
Palsson 8
Scott 5
Thornhill 8
Miller 7
Sodjie 5
Riordan 5

Vaz te 5
Wotherspoon 5
Murray 3

Two pieces of slack defending done us today, as well as some poor finishing. i also felt we did not move the ball fast enough in the second half. I also felt CC should not have taken off Palsson. If Scott had not been booked in the first half he would have given us the energy we needed in the second half. We should have won and I am gutted, we are still moving in the right direction.

PC Stamp
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Interesting re Thornhill. General opinion round me was that he worked hard but couldn't tackle and his passing wasn't great. A marginally less fit version of John Rankin was how another sage described him.
I'd tend to agree with that. He had little influence on the game for me.

Golden Bear
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM

:agree:

I'd agree with that.

He had a couple of slack passes but his overall performance was first class.

LaMotta
03-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Interesting re Thornhill. General opinion round me was that he worked hard but couldn't tackle and his passing wasn't great. A marginally less fit version of John Rankin was how another sage described him.
I'd tend to agree with that. He had little influence on the game for me.

At one point he didn't even look up and played a hit and hope pass straight to a Hearts player that reminded me of Rankin.

Cant believe he is getting an eight from some people - what exactly did he do to merit such a high score? Genuinely interested to know:greengrin

Miller on the other hand had his best game for yonks.

GloryGlory
03-04-2011, 04:16 PM

At one point he didn't even look up and played a hit and hope pass straight to a Hearts player that reminded me of Rankin.

Cant believe he is getting an eight from some people - what exactly did he do to merit such a high score? Genuinely interested to know:greengrin

Miller on the other hand had his best game for yonks.

Opinions, eh? Until the penalty, I'd have said Miller was doiing his usual Derby Day Disappearing Act.

LaMotta
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Opinions, eh? Until the penalty, I'd have said Miller was doiing his usual Derby Day Disappearing Act.

Agreed - but that doesn't mean today wasn't his best game for some time:greengrin

Golden Bear
03-04-2011, 04:20 PM

In fact for the first half hour I didn't think he'd turned up at all.

Better performance in the second half it's got to be said.

Wotherspiniesta
03-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Brown- 6 Dodgy with the ball at his feet.

Towell- 7 struggled early doors V Driver but came good.
Hanlon- 5 Thought Paul looked shaky today.
Dickoh- 6 Not bad.
Booth- 8 Great game from the lad again. Templeton never got a kick while he was on.

Scott- 5 Didnt do much. 5 for sything down Black.
Miller- 7 Done well. Looks a new player of late. Kept nerve for the penalty.
Palsson- 6 Should have buried his chance, but combative and good range of passing.
Thornhill- 8 MOM for me. Still finding his feet in the SPL, but looks promising.

Riordan- 3 Nothing went right for him.
Sodje- 5 Not great. But caused a couple of problems for their backline.

Vaz Te- 6 Lively player, always looking for the ball. Get him signed up longterm.
Spoony- 3 No impact.
Murray- 1 Only on for 5 minutes and lost Webster for their goal

Hiber-nation
03-04-2011, 04:42 PM
He was hardly in the game imo

I thought he was involved in all our good play today and looks a very good signing. Can't believe some are comparing him to Rankin!!!

hibsbollah
03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I must have been at a different game. I thought booth wasnt up to his usual high standards, thornhill scott indifferent, sodje better than deek (who was dire throughout) and both hanlon and dickoh were good..my MOM was Miller.

Trying hard to look at the positives...at least we didnt lose.

ancient hibee
03-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Very poor day for the defence due to Brown's uncertainty-being a good shot stopper is no longer enough-he never organises his defence.

Midfield didn't appear until we were a man up and even then were far too slow in moving the ball.Persist in passing to front players with back to goal.When Wotherspoon came on he didn't seem to know what he was supposed to be doing.As he says in an interview today he's a couple of years older than Palsson so he should be standing up to be counted.

Front two should have won the game even allowing for a very good goalkeeping display.

jdships
03-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Am I showing my age when I say we need an old fashioned "tanner ba' player" ala Micky Weir in midfield ?
We had nobody with the skill to open up their defence by running at them which could have created space for others .
Don't like giving "marks" to players after a game but must reluctantly say Deek is not doing enough to warrant a new contract on this showing :dunno:

matty_f
03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Just watching the game again now, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of criticism the team's getting. For an hour we were by far the better team, and even when it was 11 v 11 the game could have gone either way (bear in mind that we won our penalty from which we equalised while it was 11 aside).

Yes, the Yams missed some great first half chances, but we weren't without our chances either.

The biggest disappointment was conceding at 2-1 from a very basic ball into the box. That said, the ball should never have been near our box because Thornhill's tackle on the Yam was perfect.

I think the comments about Brown are fair enough, good shot stopper but we missed Stack bossing folk. I think Stack would have been quick to charge down the ball for their equaliser as well, not that I'd blame Brown for not saving a point blank finish.

I thought we played exactly as we should against 10 men. Kept the ball and made the Yams chase it. We were far too wasteful in front of goal and there were a few times when we just needed someone to stick their foot through the ball around their box, rather than trying to walk it in.

Jones28
03-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Agree with that :agree:

fife hfc
03-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Only two criticisms today. We should have scored at least one more with the chances we had and though we moved the ball well we could have done with doing it faster. But we did create enough to win the match.

Twiglet
03-04-2011, 06:29 PM
I thought Browns' kicking was well better today. Don't think one ball went out. They were long and pretty straight.
As for the ball at his feet, made me think of Maka at the Falkirk game at ER from last season (December 09) where the Falkirk striker ran at him and he just calmly moved the ball at his feet and then passed it out.

hibsbollah
03-04-2011, 07:20 PM
We had nobody with the skill to open up their defence by running at them which could have created space for others .
:dunno:

I thought today was a game where we missed Zemmama. Our midfield is so much better with the extra muscle we get from Scott and Palsson, but we could do with some creativity in the final third as well. Hopefully this will get addressed in the summer.

fife hfc
03-04-2011, 07:22 PM
We created enough chances it was the inability to take them that was the problem. I can think of at least 5 or 6 excellent chances that we failed to score from, so it was not the chance creating that was the problem, but the taking of them.

LancashireHibby
03-04-2011, 07:38 PM
We created enough chances it was the inability to take them that was the problem. I can think of at least 5 or 6 excellent chances that we failed to score from, so it was not the chance creating that was the problem, but the taking of them.

Agreed. Miller put in some cracking balls, as did Booth, but we couldn't get the right touch on the end of it.

Albion Hibs
03-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Brown - 6 - A couple of decent saves and his kicking was far better than usual

Towell -6 - Poor concentration a fair few times.
Hanlon- 5 - His worst game for a while, were the F was he for the 2nd goal, and perhaps the first.
Dickoh - 5 - Unlucky not to score before half time, same comments as above re both the goals.
Booth- 7 - Played well and looked very confident for his first derby.

Scott - 4 - Did not really do anything. CC was right to take him off.
Miller - 8 - MOM for me, thought it was his best game by a distance for some time.
Palsson- 5 - Should have scored / got things going far quicker in the second half, seemed to slow the play down, would question where he was for the first goal.
Thornhill - 6 - undecieded, thought he was alright at times, very unlucky for the free kick that never was for there 2nd goal.

Riordan - 5 - was more involved than he has been for ages, was unfortunate that nothing came off for him.
Sodje- 5 - Won the penatly but did not do as much in the air as he has done previously.

Vaz Te- 6 - Did well when he came on and took his goal well.
Spoony- 4 - Did not really have a lot of time, enough of the ball but did well with what he had.
Murray - 3 - Did not have enough time, cant agree with comments that he was responsible for 2nd, there was three hearts players lining up to score in the middle of the goal!!! Where are our CH's!!

All in all I cant decided whether to be happy or not with the result. If we got that two months ago I would have been buzzing. I think we needed to put much more pressure on them at the start of the 2nd half, no urgency and a lack of composure at times.

Suprisingly I thought our defense was poor from set plays and when playing 11 v 11.

MacBean
03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Dont see how Vaz Te would get any less than Scott?

Had some brilliant touches and his goal was brilliant.
no disrespect to Scott but they played the same amount of time and if anything Vaz Te had a more positive impact on the game than Scott :confused:

LaMotta
03-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Brown - 6 - A couple of decent saves and his kicking was far better than usual

Towell -6 - Poor concentration a fair few times.
Hanlon- 5 - His worst game for a while, were the F was he for the 2nd goal, and perhaps the first.
Dickoh - 5 - Unlucky not to score before half time, same comments as above re both the goals.
Booth- 7 - Played well and looked very confident for his first derby.

Scott - 4 - Did not really do anything. CC was right to take him off.
Miller - 8 - MOM for me, thought it was his best game by a distance for some time.
Palsson- 5 - Should have scored / got things going far quicker in the second half, seemed to slow the play down, would question where he was for the first goal.
Thornhill - 6 - undecieded, thought he was alright at times, very unlucky for the free kick that never was for there 2nd goal.

Riordan - 5 - was more involved than he has been for ages, was unfortunate that nothing came off for him.
Sodje- 5 - Won the penatly but did not do as much in the air as he has done previously.

Vaz Te- 6 - Did well when he came on and took his goal well.
Spoony- 4 - Did not really have a lot of time, enough of the ball but did well with what he had.
Murray - 3 - Did not have enough time, cant agree with comments that he was responsible for 2nd, there was three hearts players lining up to score in the middle of the goal!!! Where are our CH's!!

All in all I cant decided whether to be happy or not with the result. If we got that two months ago I would have been buzzing. I think we needed to put much more pressure on them at the start of the 2nd half, no urgency and a lack of composure at times.

Suprisingly I thought our defense was poor from set plays and when playing 11 v 11.

agree with 99% of the above - but for the second goal it was towell that left elliott completely unmarked.

ekhibee
03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't have blamed Brown for the 1st goal, that was just really poor defending by Hanlon and I think the other player was Dickoh, not closing the player down and allowing him virtually a free shot on goal. Riordan was awful throughout the game as well. I still really savour the brilliant goals he's scored for us, they will always live in my memories, but he doesn't look half the player these days.

trev the hat
03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
agree with 99% of the above - but for the second goal it was towell that left elliott completely unmarked.

Lets not kid ourselves here. our very own Ian Murray had lead boots on for the 2nd end of..

hibsbollah
03-04-2011, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't have blamed Brown for the 1st goal, that was just really poor defending by Hanlon and I think the other player was Dickoh

Dunno about that, i watched it at HT in the concourse and it looked like Hanlon and Dickoh both had a player in the box...i think Stevenson should have been Scott or Pallsons man.

3pm
03-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Towell doesn't convince me.

LaMotta
03-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Lets not kid ourselves here. our very own Ian Murray had lead boots on for the 2nd end of..

well yes he did, but its not end of is it? ..... because once Jamboid outjumps Murray, Elliott has a free shot at goal totally unmarked which wouldn't have happened had Towell not left him. Criminal.

BoltonHibee
03-04-2011, 08:43 PM
well yes he did, but its not end of is it? ..... because once Jamboid outjumps Murray, Elliott has a free shot at goal totally unmarked which wouldn't have happened had Towell not left him. Criminal.

Was Murray impeded in the box when going for the header? Not seen any replays but thought that at the time..

trev the hat
03-04-2011, 08:49 PM

If Murray is going to jump for a ball in Towell,s position, IMO he be makin sure he gonna win it.
If he does then no ball into box PAL,
End Of. :na na:

hibsbollah
03-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Was Murray impeded in the box when going for the header? Not seen any replays but thought that at the time..

Nope, he was just outjumped.

Sodje and Towell deciding not to bother defending for the crucial 5 seconds was the main factor though. Unless theres some zone marking carry on i dont understand, i just dont know what they were thinking:confused:

mim
03-04-2011, 08:56 PM

If you look at the highlights, when they're available and you've got a moment, I thnk you'll find that we lost the first goal because Miller was missing and Towell had two men to mark.

LaMotta
03-04-2011, 09:00 PM
If Murray is going to jump for a ball in Towell,s position, IMO he be makin sure he gonna win it.
If he does then no ball into box PAL,
End Of. :na na:

Murray in Towell's Position? What you gibbering on about?

Murray got outjumped by someone bigger than him, but defo could have done better.

Towell's mistake is unforgiveable. If you don't think he was at fault then you need your head checked.

trev the hat
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Murray in Towell's Position? What you gibbering on about?

Murray got outjumped by someone bigger than him, but defo could have done better.

Towell's mistake is unforgiveable. If you don't think he was at fault then you need your head checked.

No more need said.
Lay off Towell, doing a decent job in a difficult position.
As for the gibbering, Your doing fine.:aok:

Dirkster23
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Dunno about that, i watched it at HT in the concourse and it looked like Hanlon and Dickoh both had a player in the box...i think Stevenson should have been Scott or Pallsons man.

Unfortunately they were both trying to mark the same player!

LaMotta
03-04-2011, 09:13 PM
No more need said.

Ok then we'll just pretend Towell wasn't at fault cos you like him:aok::aok:

BoltonHibee
03-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Nope, he was just outjumped.

Sodje and Towell deciding not to bother defending for the crucial 5 seconds was the main factor though. Unless theres some zone marking carry on i dont understand, i just dont know what they were thinking:confused:

Just watched the highlights, I think Murray was fouled. Arm in the back of the neck and nudged in the back.

Albion Hibs
03-04-2011, 10:07 PM

I was not to sure if it was him that should have been marking or if they were working zones. In any event how we can end up with no one in the centre of the goal is disappointing.

I would not expect Murray to win that ball, he maybe could have done better, but he is never going to win a ball when someone taller than him is running onto it and he is moving back. I dont think anyone would expect him to win that.

The problem was the three hearts players, any one of which, could have scored - running onto the ball three yards out IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GOAL - where the **** are the CH's?! I did not play any football at a decent level but I was always taught you may not win the ball to the edge of the box for the reasons above, but you have to win anything that comes into the box.

I am sure CC will have been very disappointed with the second goal given his footballing background.

Albion Hibs
03-04-2011, 10:09 PM
No more need said.

What makes right back so much harder than any other position?

Albion Hibs
03-04-2011, 10:19 PM
If you look at the highlights, when they're available and you've got a moment, I thnk you'll find that we lost the first goal because Miller was missing and Towell had two men to mark.

I cant say I have seen them, I did tape the game and was going to watch when I got back in, but dont think I can face it.

I do remember what you are saying above, I think that is how they got the ball into the box, from memory Hanlon headed out, the main thing for me, is how does a player end up with the ball at his feet in the box with so much to shoot at? Surely our CH's have to be tighter, or Palsson has to be dropping in to play that role.

The really frustrating this is, hearts did not have to work hard in the build up to there goals, a cross into the box, plenty of time and all of the goal to shot at, then three hearts players practically marking each other to put it away three yards out.

Given we have been defending so much better recently that is probably the biggest disappointment for me.

truehibernian
03-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Whilst very disappointed at not winning today, I have to say I was delighted at the spirit and guts the whole side showed throughout the 90 minutes.

If you break it down, Hearts had a whole team today who had played in a derby atmosphere before and who are what we would call battle hardened. We had Sodje, Towell, Booth, Scott and Thornhill (and Vaz Te) all making a derby debut........that's a large part of the team and I thought they handled themselves superbly.

Key points today for me - tactically first half we played too narrow in midfield and lost shape at times. Hearts played with width and Towell especially was exposed as he had no real cover from Liam Miller who had been drawn into the middle too often.

We got the break when we got the penalty and it lifted the side. The key point before that however was the Scott booking for me. His game became less effectual and you could see he was far more reluctant to commit to the tackle.

Second half, one way traffic possession wise but too slow and considered. Too many players wanted too much time on the ball. We didn't get the ball wide often enough, but when we did, especially with young Booth, we got in behind. We pitter pattered around the box as well.......too many were not confident enough to drive into the box. Palsson's distribution as times second half, especially to the wide left, was a joy to watch. Miller raises his game around Victor too......plays with a little more freedom and has time on the ball.

The enigma that is Riordan - sorry, but for me, today he proved why we MUST build a team without him in the side. Yes he got into positions to score, and yes his touch and finishing was woeful.......but what you want from an experienced pro, who is used to these games, is someone who battles, who lifts his fellow players, and who chases down the ball as if it was his last game...........he started his moaning (at Booth) from around 5 minutes in, and didn't stop. He lost the ball and spent more time criticising and waving his hands than actually getting the head down and winning that ball back. We need sheer pace up top and we don't have that with Derek. We have a player who can indeed score a wondergoal............but we also have a player who is selfish and plays for himself. It is not just today's performance that leads me to say it......this season his touch has been poor, his pace lacking and he isn't a patch on previous seasons. There is something missing.

All things considered, and when you look at previous derby performances, I thought the signs were very encouraging. Add into the mix that come pre-season we will be adding at least 6 or 7 players into the squad, it's exciting.

The loss (or booking of) Scott was key for me today. He is going to be a very influential player for us next season :agree: I rate this guy highly.

matty_f
03-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Whilst very disappointed at not winning today, I have to say I was delighted at the spirit and guts the whole side showed throughout the 90 minutes.

If you break it down, Hearts had a whole team today who had played in a derby atmosphere before and who are what we would call battle hardened. We had Sodje, Towell, Booth, Scott and Thornhill (and Vaz Te) all making a derby debut........that's a large part of the team and I thought they handled themselves superbly.

Key points today for me - tactically first half we played too narrow in midfield and lost shape at times. Hearts played with width and Towell especially was exposed as he had no real cover from Liam Miller who had been drawn into the middle too often.

We got the break when we got the penalty and it lifted the side. The key point before that however was the Scott booking for me. His game became less effectual and you could see he was far more reluctant to commit to the tackle.

Second half, one way traffic possession wise but too slow and considered. Too many players wanted too much time on the ball. We didn't get the ball wide often enough, but when we did, especially with young Booth, we got in behind. We pitter pattered around the box as well.......too many were not confident enough to drive into the box. Palsson's distribution as times second half, especially to the wide left, was a joy to watch. Miller raises his game around Victor too......plays with a little more freedom and has time on the ball.

The enigma that is Riordan - sorry, but for me, today he proved why we MUST build a team without him in the side. Yes he got into positions to score, and yes his touch and finishing was woeful.......but what you want from an experienced pro, who is used to these games, is someone who battles, who lifts his fellow players, and who chases down the ball as if it was his last game...........he started his moaning (at Booth) from around 5 minutes in, and didn't stop. He lost the ball and spent more time criticising and waving his hands than actually getting the head down and winning that ball back. We need sheer pace up top and we don't have that with Derek. We have a player who can indeed score a wondergoal............but we also have a player who is selfish and plays for himself. It is not just today's performance that leads me to say it......this season his touch has been poor, his pace lacking and he isn't a patch on previous seasons. There is something missing.

All things considered, and when you look at previous derby performances, I thought the signs were very encouraging. Add into the mix that come pre-season we will be adding at least 6 or 7 players into the squad, it's exciting.

The loss (or booking of) Scott was key for me today. He is going to be a very influential player for us next season :agree: I rate this guy highly.

Good post. We had a very young team out there today, too.

greenlex
03-04-2011, 11:06 PM

Exactly what happened and not fir the first time Miller had been drawn left and subsequently Towell was exposed.

BarneyBreslin
04-04-2011, 01:44 AM

good post. Saves me typing it out. Agree with pretty much everything said.

R'Albin
04-04-2011, 05:42 AM

Yep completely agree:agree:

Phil MaGlass
04-04-2011, 07:18 AM
Since we havent had a competitive game for a few weeks, I thought we were woeful in defending, but the signs are there for a better season next year, Deeks needs to be shifted.

hibee81
04-04-2011, 09:12 AM
I wouldn't have blamed Brown for the 1st goal, that was just really poor defending by Hanlon and I think the other player was Dickoh, not closing the player down and allowing him virtually a free shot on goal. Riordan was awful throughout the game as well. I still really savour the brilliant goals he's scored for us, they will always live in my memories, but he doesn't look half the player these days.

IMO the first goal booth should have been tucked in to cover for hanlon who went to stop the cross along with dickoh, but was stood well out of possision, inexperience by by hanlon and booth, lack of communication from brown i would say cost us the first.

jonny
04-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I must have been at a different game. I thought booth wasnt up to his usual high standards, thornhill scott indifferent, sodje better than deek (who was dire throughout) and both hanlon and dickoh were good..my MOM was Miller.

Trying hard to look at the positives...at least we didnt lose.

I think I was at the same game as you because thats almost exactly how I seen it.

mim
04-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I cant say I have seen them, I did tape the game and was going to watch when I got back in, but dont think I can face it.

I do remember what you are saying above, I think that is how they got the ball into the box, from memory Hanlon headed out, the main thing for me, is how does a player end up with the ball at his feet in the box with so much to shoot at? Surely our CH's have to be tighter, or Palsson has to be dropping in to play that role.

The really frustrating this is, hearts did not have to work hard in the build up to there goals, a cross into the box, plenty of time and all of the goal to shot at, then three hearts players practically marking each other to put it away three yards out.

Given we have been defending so much better recently that is probably the biggest disappointment for me.

The best way to defend against crosses into the box is to stop them coming in the first place. The first goal would have been prevented if Miller had done his job and tracked back in time to help out Towell.

The second goal came from a freekick, which was a poor decision by the ref, but our defending of the cross was lamentable.

Albion Hibs
04-04-2011, 11:59 AM
The best way to defend against crosses into the box is to stop them coming in the first place. The first goal would have been prevented if Miller had done his job and tracked back in time to help out Towell.

The second goal came from a freekick, which was a poor decision by the ref, but our defending of the cross was lamentable.

Agreed that the best way to prevent is not to allow and Miller perhaps got caught out of position, in fairness to him we would probably have to see why he was where he was i.e. lack of movement from others, failure of others to drop in for him. I thought he was our best player yesterday and spent most of the game trying to make things happen, perhaps that is the background.

In any event the best teams in the world cannot always stop a cross coming into the box, so there is no way we are always going to be able to stop it.

Agree on the second, apart from poor decision is perhaps a bit generous! Not a good day for the CH's but the reality is the focus just needs to be better.

Cropley10
04-04-2011, 04:31 PM

:agree: more wise words bud. Think yon Vaz Te is not only a headline-writers dream but also a very skillful footballer. I'd love to see the chance MacDonald saved, he must have blasted it at him - and didn't nick a chance off his toe too?

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Got to agree with that. I also think that we can go forward from this game, though I think we need a bit more craft in the team and a decent wide player before that will happen

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Got to agree with that. I also think that we can go forward from this game, though I think we need a bit more craft in the team and a decent wide player before that will happen