PDA

View Full Version : SPL needs to get back to basics.

Antifa Hibs
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
To hell with this 6000 seater stuff, chasing multi-million pound TV and sponsorship deals, get back to basics and get the pitches sorted out.

Caley v Celtic called off an hour ago due to a water-logged pitch, in April!! (Kinda throws the 'summer fitba will solve everything' arguement oot the windae) Thats twice thats happened against Celtic in about 6 weeks (means another long midweek trek for them, also know a boy who left at 7.30 this morning and was at Aviemore before finding out, nae luck!!).

Quite a few games called off due to the pitches, and those that do pass the inspections are nothing short of an embarrassment (Motherwell, St Johnstone etc). For a so-called top flight league the playing surfaces are a joke. I know we have pesh weather, but we're not the only country, others seem to manage. Allow plastic pitches? Have some sort of minimum standard? Make sure if its due to hammer down the pitches are covered etc etc...

truehibernian
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
To hell with this 6000 seater stuff, chasing multi-million pound TV and sponsorship deals, get back to basics and get the pitches sorted out.

Caley v Celtic called off an hour ago due to a water-logged pitch, in April!! (Kinda throws the 'summer fitba will solve everything' arguement oot the windae) Thats twice thats happened against Celtic in about 6 weeks (means another long midweek trek for them, also know a boy who left at 7.30 this morning and was at Aviemore before finding out, nae luck!!).

Quite a few games called off due to the pitches, and those that do pass the inspections are nothing short of an embarrassment (Motherwell, St Johnstone etc). For a so-called top flight league the playing surfaces are a joke. I know we have pesh weather, but we're not the only country, others seem to manage. Allow plastic pitches? Have some sort of minimum standard? Make sure if its due to hammer down the pitches are covered etc etc...

Post winter the best pitch I have seen is little old Hamilton Accies.......it was like a bowling green and no surprise that first half against them recently we played some of the nicest one touch football all season. Strange how a club of that size compared to others in the SPL can have one of the best surfaces.......McDiarmid Park looked like a tattie field (and the groundsman did indeed look like the local farmer......dead ringer for Desperate Dan too :greengrin)

--------
02-04-2011, 10:54 AM

:agree:

I would go for synthetic pitches. The best quality nowadays are virtually indistinguishable from grass pitches, and guarantee a top-quality playing surface at all times. They also encourage the sort of football most people want to see - the ball runs true and bad bounces are kept to a minimum, encouraging good, passing football.

To get to Inverness safely by game-time (stopping to eat on the way) I would leave around 10.00am at the latest, which I guess is half an hour before the referee called the game off?

Leaving early, getting to Aviemore, and only then finding out that the game was cancelled is a nightmare. That lad and all in the same position have my genuine sympathy.

Hibs Class
02-04-2011, 12:32 PM
:agree:

I would go for synthetic pitches. The best quality nowadays are virtually indistinguishable from grass pitches, and guarantee a top-quality playing surface at all times. They also encourage the sort of football most people want to see - the ball runs true and bad bounces are kept to a minimum, encouraging good, passing football.

To get to Inverness safely by game-time (stopping to eat on the way) I would leave around 10.00am at the latest, which I guess is half an hour before the referee called the game off?

Leaving early, getting to Aviemore, and only then finding out that the game was cancelled is a nightmare. That lad and all in the same position have my genuine sympathy.

I too feel genuinely sorry for those supporters travelling to the game from Glasgow. At the same time I'm kind of amused at the annoyance that those who travelled from across the water or from other parts of Scotland will be feeling.

--------
02-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I too feel genuinely sorry for those supporters travelling to the game from Glasgow. At the same time I'm kind of amused at the annoyance that those who travelled from across the water or from other parts of Scotland will be feeling.

I also feel sorry for the people in Pitlochry and other villages on the A9 who will now have to put up with busloads of imitation Oirish with nothing to do now but get drunk, spout their poison, and make transcendental nuisances of themselves.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
02-04-2011, 02:59 PM
4G astro is they way to go. After the first five minutes you don't realise it isn't grass.

marinello59
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Has anybody claimed it will solve everything? And is this Summer already?:greengrin
Playing the game in Summer would mean that for the majority of games the pitches would be in much better condition than we see currently. Better pitches means better football surely? The clubs would also be saving a great deal of money as they won't have to invest in expensive undersoil heating/covers etc. A no brainer for me.

Hibs Class
02-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Has anybody claimed it will solve everything? And is this Summer already?:greengrin
Playing the game in Summer would mean that for the majority of games the pitches would be in much better condition than we see currently. Better pitches means better football surely? The clubs would also be saving a great deal of money as they won't have to invest in expensive undersoil heating/covers etc. A no brainer for me.

I wouldn't buy an ST if we had summer football. Right now there's a risk I'll miss 1-2 games a season because of work, but if I was also going to miss games because of summer holidays etc. then an ST would probably be a waste of money so I'd be PATG. Plus Summer football would clash with the World Cup or Euros every other year.

marinello59
02-04-2011, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't buy an ST if we had summer football. Right now there's a risk I'll miss 1-2 games a season because of work, but if I was also going to miss games because of summer holidays etc. then an ST would probably be a waste of money so I'd be PATG. Plus Summer football would clash with the World Cup or Euros every other year.

The way we take holidays now is much different from the days of everybody going on holiday at roughly the same time in Summer. It wouldn't be a major problem.
As for clashing with the World Cup and Euros. So what? It could be worked round easily enough. The Qatar World Cup could yet be moved to the Winter. The powers that be don't seem to care that would clash with domestic league football do they?

I will agree that many people will make the same arguments as yourself. Fitba fans are one of the most naturally conservative groups around and change is generally met with suspicion. Look how many here were never going to go back to ER if the old East was replaced for instance. :greengrin

PaulSmith
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Game was called off due a a "high tide", I kid you not! :greengrin:greengrin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9442787.stm

Moulin Yarns
02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
I also feel sorry for the people in Pitlochry and other villages on the A9 who will now have to put up with busloads of imitation Oirish with nothing to do now but get drunk, spout their poison, and make transcendental nuisances of themselves.

I can confirm they were belting out their bile in Pitlochry.

We love the IRA, FTQ and the UDA clearly heard, and not a policeman in sight.

SloopJB
02-04-2011, 09:44 PM

I can confirm they were belting out their bile in Pitlochry.

We love the IRA, FTQ and the UDA clearly heard, and not a policeman in sight.

Perhaps 1 arguement against summer football would be having football supporters who are known to voice hatred of anything and everything in city centres in droves during the peak holiday season, Tourism is fragile enough as it is.

down-the-slope
02-04-2011, 10:06 PM
4G astro is they way to go. After the first five minutes you don't realise it isn't grass.

:rolleyes: so do you use a pipe or or make roll up joints with it?