PDA

View Full Version : Richie Towell's comments in the Sun

KiddA
02-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Im sure this will wind a few of the yam fuds up :agree:

"I have to say that I thought it was worse at Hearts than at Rangers but that gets you going, it's enjoyable.

"I'm sure they'll be the same with Hibs players, but I don't care, I am looking forward to it. I'm sure the Hearts fans will give me stick - especially as I'm an Irish boy and a Catholic" :greengrin

He is right though :wink:

Good lad, nothing wrong with a little gamesmanship before the big game.

AgentDaleCooper
02-04-2011, 04:35 AM

"I have to say that I thought it was worse at Hearts than at Rangers but that gets you going, it's enjoyable.

"I'm sure they'll be the same with Hibs players, but I don't care, I am looking forward to it. I'm sure the Hearts fans will give me stick - especially as I'm an Irish boy and a Catholic" :greengrin

on the one hand, quite an amusing bit of cheekiness - on the other, a bit pointless and stupid, actually trying to stir up a bit of sectarianism? it's possible to look at it an a way that says it's not, but the fact is, it probably will. not that it would be exactly 'his fault' if they do throw some abuse at him, their fans are responsible for themselves...but should not be trying to move on from this crap?

Part/Time Supporter
02-04-2011, 04:47 AM
I fail to see what personal experience Towell is basing those comments on, given that he's never actually played against Hearts (until tomorrow at least). The only situation he's referring to is sitting on the bench for Celtc at the PBS earlier this season. Any "stick" given then could surely not have been for him personally, given that the Yams wouldn't have known him from Adam.

I would be surprised if he got stick tomorrow, except in a self-fulfilling prophecy, whereby they give him stick for him unfairly saying they gave him stick.

:greengrin

adhibs
02-04-2011, 06:29 AM
haha thatl wind them up. He wouldvegot stick of them tomorow anyway, so good on him for getting a wee dig in

The Harp
02-04-2011, 07:31 AM
From what I've heard, for a while now Yams v Celtc games, particularly at Tynie, have become real nasty affairs off the park. If Richie has been on the bench or warming up, it's very likely he'd have been on the receiving end of some verbal garbage from the Yambams, because of the narrowness of their track.
IMHO it's not a smart move to highlight it in the press though ... mind you, if it's the Sun, he probably never said it anyway. :dunno:

Nameless
02-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm sure the Hearts fans will give me stick - especially as I'm an Irish boy and a Catholic" :greengrin

Does that not cross a line from banter into slander? When the Korean lad at Celtic accused the super J's of being racists there was a rightful out cry. This just draws negative attention to the derby and plays right into the hands of the weejie media, who are despearate to paint Herats and Hibs as mini huns and tims. Any incidents in the game on Sunday will be over examined so that they can draw attention away from their beloved huntic, and this has just given them the perfect opener.

coco22
02-04-2011, 07:52 AM
From what I've heard, for a while now Yams v Celtc games, particularly at Tynie, have become real nasty affairs off the park. If Richie has been on the bench or warming up, it's very likely he'd have been on the receiving end of some verbal garbage from the Yambams, because of the narrowness of their track.
IMHO it's not a smart move to highlight it in the press though ... mind you, if it's the Sun, he probably never said it anyway. :dunno:

in more ways than one...

hibsbollah
02-04-2011, 08:28 AM
. This plays right into the hands of the weejie media, who are despearate to paint Herats and Hibs as mini huns and tims.

But a lot of hearts ARE mini-huns. The grief celtc get at tynecastle is down to bigotry, are you suggesting the media should ignore that just cos theyre not weegies?

Cabbage East
02-04-2011, 08:36 AM
It's true though.

Get it up these mutants Richie boy.

Golden Bear
02-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Playing to the media Richie or were words put in your mouth?

In either case there's just nae need. We've already had plenty of experience of players/ex players being manipulated by the weegie media for what can only be their own agenda.

Thegreenside
02-04-2011, 08:51 AM
alot of cheekiness here, hope we can get this lad signed up

Lmc2105
02-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Don't understand why he has done this tbh ..

Murray comes out the other day hoping that nothing kicks off and we should keep away from anything like that

Even if he has done this for a reaction ... now he will be in no doubt of a hot reception.

Makaveli
02-04-2011, 08:54 AM
As stated he will have had the mutants calling him fenian this and Irish that when warming up for Celtc, so what would you expect him to take from that? He's been asked if he expects abuse from them and answered based on his experience. It would have worse if he dodged the issue IMO.

Bear in mind the interview would have been more like "So Richie, do you expect extra abuse from the away fans being an Irish Catholic?" / "Well aye, probably" than what The **** published. Quotation marks mean nothing to them.

Diclonius
02-04-2011, 09:06 AM
We'd be rightfully outraged if one of their lot said he'd get stick for being a Protestant.

A poor choice of words Richie and threatens to drag sectarianism right back into the derby. Would have been better to just keep your mouth shut.

Lmc2105
02-04-2011, 09:09 AM
We'd be rightfully outraged if one of their lot said he'd get stick for being a Protestant.

A poor choice of words Richie and threatens to drag sectarianism right back into the derby. Would have been better to just keep your mouth shut.

:top marks

Couldn't have put it any better

Elephant Stone
02-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Hopefully this was said tongue-in-cheek. Silly thing to say and it's just not true.

brog
It's on the front page of the DR!! I know as I'm posting that this is a contradictory statement, but we really should ignore this garbage. It's yet another attempt by the Glasgow based media to distract attention from the rabid OF. Even the pics in DR have been carefully selected to show Yam fans with Union Jacks!
It's our derby & they still have to somehow make it a sub plot of the OF.
Pathetic at best, an attempt to stir religious conflict at worst.

Phil D. Rolls

Downright stupid thing to say, and I hope someone has a word in his ear. Can you imagine Pat Stanton ever saying anything like this in the run up to a derby?

Phil D. Rolls
02-04-2011, 09:18 AM
As stated he will have had the mutants calling him fenian this and Irish that when warming up for Celtc, so what would you expect him to take from that? He's been asked if he expects abuse from them and answered based on his experience. It would have worse if he dodged the issue IMO.

Bear in mind the interview would have been more like "So Richie, do you expect extra abuse from the away fans being an Irish Catholic?" / "Well aye, probably" than what The **** published. Quotation marks mean nothing to them.

A big boy did it and ran away?

No, I think he said it. No point in defending him, I don't think he was bad, just silly. It plays right into the whole west coast thing that the Edinburgh teams are sectarian like the Glasgow ones.

I reckon Richie is playing as much to the Celtic fans as anyone else, because if he knew anything about us, he'd know how this doesn't sit easily with our support.

A player has to learn to handle the media, and think before he speaks. I'm not aware of the likes of Scott Brown or Iain Murray ever getting caught out like this. Either he meant it, or he's been stupid.

Westie1875
02-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Stupid thing to say, I hope one of our senior players has a word and tells him religion doesn't come into it at Hibs.

ancient hibee
02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Hibs should clamp down on this right away and the club should issue a statement that sectarianism is not a problem between the clubs and any animosity is the usual local rivalry.If Towell doesn't like it-ship him back along the M8.

HibbyDave
02-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Hibs should clamp down on this right away and the club should issue a statement that sectarianism is not a problem between the clubs and any animosity is the usual local rivalry.If Towell doesn't like it-ship him back along the M8.

Exactly my thoughts. Towell needs to be told to shut up. If he claims he never said this then he/hibs must pursue the rag of a paper that started the story.

Sectarianism=Scotlands Shame. Just leave it to the weedgies and their cronies across the water.

keep the faith
02-04-2011, 09:52 AM

Agree completely. Stupid comments which we should distance ourselves from.

Dunbar Hibee
02-04-2011, 09:57 AM
A bit daft if he has said that but you know what the Sun is like.

lucky
02-04-2011, 10:03 AM
If DR can get fined for criticising the pitch. Surely RT should be treated in a similar manner for this outburst. Hibs have worked hard to drive sectarian issues out of ER. It appears that RT has the spin offs chip on the shoulder and has played the religious card. There is no doubt that there is an element of the yam support that is knuckle dragging but there is no way you can compare them to the 48000 belting out bigotry every second week. I am disappointmented in his comments

Makaveli
02-04-2011, 10:09 AM
A big boy did it and ran away?

No, I think he said it. No point in defending him, I don't think he was bad, just silly. It plays right into the whole west coast thing that the Edinburgh teams are sectarian like the Glasgow ones.

I reckon Richie is playing as much to the Celtic fans as anyone else, because if he knew anything about us, he'd know how this doesn't sit easily with our support.

A player has to learn to handle the media, and think before he speaks. I'm not aware of the likes of Scott Brown or Iain Murray ever getting caught out like this. Either he meant it, or he's been stupid.

I'll decide if I want to defend him, thanks.

Someone said sectarianism isn't a problem between the Edinburgh clubs and that's true, but there is a one-way problem with sectarianism between a section of the Hearts support and Irish Roman Catholics or anyone perceived as such. Why deny this? They're known for singing about being up to their knees in blood etc and Towell is getting stick for saying he expects more of the same :confused:

Golden Bear
02-04-2011, 10:10 AM
He's blighted himself rather than the Club or us fans.

Unfortunately he's put himself under unnecessary additional pressure and I hope another own goal doesn't result from it.

:rolleyes:

Part/Time Supporter
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Someone said sectarianism isn't a problem between the Edinburgh clubs and that's true, but there is a one-way problem with sectarianism between a section of the Hearts support and Irish Roman Catholics or anyone perceived as such. Why deny this? They're known for singing about being up to their knees in blood etc and Towell is getting stick for saying he expects more of the same :confused:

That's the problem. There is naff all evidence that he has ever suffered any abuse for his religion or nationality.

Arch Stanton
02-04-2011, 10:23 AM
He's blighted himself rather than the Club or us fans.

Unfortunately he's put himself under unnecessary additional pressure and I hope another own goal doesn't result from it.

:rolleyes:

Bit harsh, no?

I would say he's fielded an extremely awkward question as best he could - being light hearted rather than accusative I mean.

I am sure a lot of experienced politicians would never have been caught out with such a question but that is their job - playing football is Richie Towell's.

Phil D. Rolls
02-04-2011, 10:32 AM

So he did say it? You said in your last post that the press had twisted it.

Anyway, different people take different things from the words other people say. You could well be right. It doesn't sit easily with me, and I reckon he is as much trying to get himself back to Glasgow, as thinking about Hibs.

I don't think there is a massive sectarian problem in Edinburgh. But those trapped in sectarian beliefs cannot see anything else. Their sense of perspective gets warped and they think everyone thinks like that.

Most Yams are not Protestant bigots from my experience.

Makaveli
02-04-2011, 10:32 AM
That's the problem. There is naff all evidence that he has ever suffered any abuse for his religion or nationality.

I said he expects more of the anti-Catholic sentiment, not that he was personally singled out before. He's sat in the middle of it, heard their 17th century chants and the bile directed at Lennon (which even he doesn't deserve) as we all have.

Their lot know who he is now that he's playing 1st team football at Hibs... so do you honestly believe if he went to take a corner/retrieve the ball near them he wouldn't get fenian B, Irish C?

I've read the full Record article and am more surprised by his "every player wants to be playing against the big teams" comment :agree:

--------
02-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Stupid thing to say, I hope one of our senior players has a word and tells him religion doesn't come into it at Hibs.

I think Towell was saying that religion comes into the equation in the minds of a section of the Hearts support, and that the abuse was nastier when he was at Tynie with Celtic than at Ibrox when he was there. Maybe (I don't know) he's been on the bench at an OF match as well as at Tynie?

This is true.

However, I think there is and always will be the latent potential for Irish "Celtic" type attitudes to emerge from a section of the Hibs support (right now a very small section, thank goodness), and the club is aware of this and does take steps to guard against it.

But Hibs fans aren't snow-white and squeaky-clean all the time, you know...

I don't think Hearts as a club act as responsibly in this matter as Hibs - there's one particular section of Tynecastle notorious for racist and sectarian abuse of players. Nothing that I know of has been done to curb these people, either by Hearts or by the police. If a similar section of our West Stand were behaving in this way, they'd have been dealt with (by the club) a long time ago.

If Richie was asked about the treatment he received at Tynie with Celtic, he was perfectly entitled to answer truthfully without downplaying the nature of what was being shouted at him. I'd take leave to doubt that he was quite as cheeky and cavalier about it as the Sun makes him sound.

MrSmith
02-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Don't need to talk about sectarianism in Edinburgh, young Mr Towell needs to talk football and prove it on the field!

Absolutely no need for this and I'm actually a bit pissed off and embarrassed due to the fact that a good few of my mates are jumbos and, with banter aside, are in no way bigoted nor contribute in any way to that West Coast rubbish!

Makaveli
02-04-2011, 10:49 AM
So he did say it? You said in your last post that the press had twisted it.

I'm not pretending to know if he said it, but those probably weren't his exact words.

Anyway, different people take different things from the words other people say. You could well be right. It doesn't sit easily with me, and I reckon he is as much trying to get himself back to Glasgow, as thinking about Hibs.

I understand your main point that he has a lot to learn answering the media, but the jump to him engineering a return to Celtic is going a bit far IMO. Surely there are easier ways!

I don't think there is a massive sectarian problem in Edinburgh. But those trapped in sectarian beliefs cannot see anything else. Their sense of perspective gets warped and they think everyone thinks like that.

Who exactly are you inferring is trapped in sectarian beliefs? In the present context the comment seems directed at either Richie or myself... dangerous ground.

Most Yams are not Protestant bigots from my experience.

Most of them aren't bigots from my experience either, but from that same experience neither are most Rangers fans. He's on to something about the personal stuff being worse at Tynecastle than Greyskull. I know I've never been spat on and called a fenian B in the street outside Ibrox when I was 11, can't say the same about Tynecastle unfortunately.

-

Good point from Doddie. Of course there's always a small element under the surface at Hibs but it generally stays there. I don't think Towell's comments will do anything to stir it up on our side, only make his reception for them more hostile and hence his prediction self-fulfilling to an extent.

*edit: decent EEN article linked below in regards to the actual comments, but it still ignores the problem

Part/Time Supporter
02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Edinburgh-derby-39Rivalry-is-a.6744737.jp

Hibercelona
02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I think Towell was saying that religion comes into the equation in the minds of a section of the Hearts support, and that the abuse was nastier when he was at Tynie with Celtic than at Ibrox when he was there. Maybe (I don't know) he's been on the bench at an OF match as well as at Tynie?

This is true.

However, I think there is and always will be the latent potential for Irish "Celtic" type attitudes to emerge from a section of the Hibs support (right now a very small section, thank goodness), and the club is aware of this and does take steps to guard against it.

But Hibs fans aren't snow-white and squeaky-clean all the time, you know...

I don't think Hearts as a club act as responsibly in this matter as Hibs - there's one particular section of Tynecastle notorious for racist and sectarian abuse of players. Nothing that I know of has been done to curb these people, either by Hearts or by the police. If a similar section of our West Stand were behaving in this way, they'd have been dealt with (by the club) a long time ago.

If Richie was asked about the treatment he received at Tynie with Celtic, he was perfectly entitled to answer truthfully without downplaying the nature of what was being shouted at him. I'd take leave to doubt that he was quite as cheeky and cavalier about it as the Sun makes him sound.

Those lot wouldn't dare sneeze, never mind make a secterian or racist slur. :wink: :greengrin

I'm not just saying this because i'm a Hibs fan. But their is quite clearly a higher percentage of bigots in the Hearts support. You always get at least a few tubes with their big Union Jack flag and making "no surrender" gestures.

I can proudly say that i've never witnessed this type of behaviour from the Hibs support at ER. Although I realize that things may have been well different before my time.

silverhibee
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Agree, stupid thing to say.

Arch Stanton
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Don't need to talk about sectarianism in Edinburgh, young Mr Towell needs to talk football and prove it on the field!

Absolutely no need for this and I'm actually a bit pissed off and embarrassed due to the fact that a good few of my mates are jumbos and, with banter aside, are in no way bigoted nor contribute in any way to that West Coast rubbish!

Do you think that Towell raised the sectarian issue with the reporter then?

The fact is he wasn't 'talking' as you say but being interviewed by a Sun reporter - the only safe answer here being 'no comment', and how many football players have you ever heard say that?

If this had been an article showing Ian Murray in a bad light then the opinion on here would be unanimous that it was fictitious - I am at a loss as to how people on this thread are putting so much faith on what the Sun reports.

I am also at a loss about the scepticism being expressed that someone in Celtic regalia might have been the subject of abuse at Tynecastle.

Tricla
02-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I used to get in a faff about religious songs, bigotry and sectarianism etc. Especially when Hertz, Rankgers and Celtc came to ER and belted them out.

Now I couldn't give a hoot.

This pash is at the heart of everything that is wrong with the world so I no longer spend any time getting my knickers in a twist about it.

If what Ritchie has said has wound up a few Yamboids then it has served a good purpose and nothing should be read in to it.

Lets get it right up these Queen loving perverts!

:devil:

adhibs
02-04-2011, 11:08 AM
i dont know why so many people are getting worked up about this. Hearts clearly have a decent number of bigots in their support and hes been to tynecastle and experienced it. Dont see how his comments link our derby to the OF or put hibs in a negative light

R'Albin
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I could see this thread going on for a while...

No need for Richie to reply like he did, as someone else posted that just neeedlessly takes sectarism back into the derby

Although with the Sun it could be them making up a loady pish:rolleyes:

--------
02-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Those lot wouldn't dare sneeze, never mind make a secterian or racist slur. :wink: :greengrin

I'm not just saying this because i'm a Hibs fan. But their is quite clearly a higher percentage of bigots in the Hearts support. You always get at least a few tubes with their big Union Jack flag and making "no surrender" gestures.

I can proudly say that i've never witnessed this type of behaviour from the Hibs support at ER. Although I realize that things may have been well different before my time.

Right enough about the West Stand aristocracy, mate. Anyone speaking loud enough to wake the regular inhabitants up gets escorted out and his season ticket confiscated. :wink:

I agree with your second and third paragraphs - BUT I think that this is down to a lot of work done over the past 20 years or so by the club and the supporters. Go back before STF's time and you'd see a big difference - though even then it was clearly a minority who sang the rebel songs and waved the tricolours.

There are always idiots who'll ape other people's bad habits - the 'monkey see, monkey do' principle - and there are some around ER who would happily ape the Soapdodgers - not many, but some.

I've seen them when Hibs are at Motherwell - whether they were Hibs fans who reckoned they could bring out the flags and the attitude more safely away from home, or Celtic fans along for the ride and trying to cause trouble, I don't know. I don't want to see this back at ER.

I suspect that Richie will get it tight from the knuckle-draggers tomorrow. I don't see that this is something Hibs fans need to be getting their underwear knotted up over.

And as for what my Jambo friends might think or say, my response to them would be that RT was simply telling it as it is, and if they don't like it, they should do something about the bigotry that certainly exists among the Hearts support.

Nameless
02-04-2011, 11:44 AM
But a lot of hearts ARE mini-huns. The grief celtc get at tynecastle is down to bigotry, are you suggesting the media should ignore that just cos theyre not weegies?

In this case are they trying to highlight Scotlands shame, or are they trying to stir up hatred with sensationalist gutter reporting. If this was a serious attempt to highlight bigotry in this country, I think it would have met with a very diffiret response from Hibs fans.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Since it's in The Sun, I think I'll take it with a pinch of salt but if that was what he said then it's an unbelievably ill-advised thing to have said.

I don't like how the media is attempting to stoke up the sectarian side to the rivalry in Edinburgh and hopefully it won't come to anything.

If the nature of the rivalry in the Edinburgh derby ever becomes like the Old Firm game then that'll be me finished.

500miles
02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
The Hearts support does have a considerable anti-catholic element.

The Hibs support does not have an element that is particualrly anti-catholic or anti- protestant. Any ***** like that from our stands tends to be down to individuals. There are groups and sections of sectarianism in the Hearts support.

ancient hibee
02-04-2011, 02:05 PM
I know I'm getting old and easily annoyed but I have to say that I'm incandescent with rage over this.I've been supporting Hibs for over 60 years and I have NEVER(important enough for capitals:greengrin)heard anyone officially part of the Club complain about sectarian abuse.It may have escaped attention but there is a bit of furore regarding sectarianism in Scottish football and this is just what the OF apologists in the media will seize on to deflect attention from their problems.

matty_f
02-04-2011, 02:09 PM
The Hearts support does have a considerable anti-catholic element.

The Hibs support does not have an element that is particualrly anti-catholic or anti- protestant. Any ***** like that from our stands tends to be down to individuals. There are groups and sections of sectarianism in the Hearts support.
Would agree with that.

I don't think he's said anything wrong. If he has experienced it then he has every right to highlight it. Just because we might not want to acknowledge it, it doesn't mean to say we should pretend it doesn't happen.

And the yams having a wider problem than us with it doesn't mean that our derby should become in any way blighted by sectarian abuse. I think he has done well to show a section of the yams up for what they are.

WindyMiller
02-04-2011, 02:25 PM
A bit daft if he has said that but you know what the Sun is like.

It's in the Herald too.

ancient hibee
02-04-2011, 02:27 PM
It's in the Herald too.
And the Scotsman

Sir David Gray
02-04-2011, 02:29 PM
And the Scotsman

And the Daily Record.

I know that's just as bad as The Sun but I thought I'd mention it.

Dashing Bob S
02-04-2011, 02:36 PM
It's simply the Sun/Record OF propaganda machine responding the recent condemnation of sectarianism by pulling the tired old defensive line 'it's a problem for Scottish football as a whole, not just Rantic' line, and suckering in some kid to prove their 'point'.

Shameful behaviour on the part of the press.

The Harp
02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
The laddie's only 19 and still learning. It's a pity he hasn't learned how to deal wi' potentially loaded questions from the press yet. I can't see his naivety affecting his performance tomorrow - certainly hope not. :pray:

NAE NOOKIE
02-04-2011, 02:49 PM
There are a few dafties in our support who like to ape the OF nonsense and probably a bigger number in the Yams support in my experience.

But its never really been a big factor between the Edinburgh clubs since I have been going to football and hell mend the media if they are trying to stir this up.

Most ( in fact all ) of the Yams I know dont want anything to do with this crap and the same goes for all of the Hibbies I know.

I'm happy to hate the Yams for all of the usual reasons and could care less if they are Protestant, Catholic or whatever.

Leave that backwards stupidity to the idiots out west.

Jones28
02-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Am I the only one who doesnt really care? :confused:

The kid's right anyway, even just being from Celtic and Ireland is bound to attract some sort of abuse from Los Yambolinos

matty_f
02-04-2011, 04:11 PM
There are a few dafties in our support who like to ape the OF nonsense and probably a bigger number in the Yams support in my experience.

But its never really been a big factor between the Edinburgh clubs since I have been going to football and hell mend the media if they are trying to stir this up.

Most ( in fact all ) of the Yams I know dont want anything to do with this crap and the same goes for all of the Hibbies I know.

I'm happy to hate the Yams for all of the usual reasons and could care less if they are Protestant, Catholic or whatever.

Leave that backwards stupidity to the idiots out west.

Why are we implicated in it though? The yams sing ' up to our knees in fenian blood', they have a section of their support who are vociferously and vocally anti-catholic.

Towell starting that he had had sectarian abuse from the yams support does not imply that we as the hibernian support haver or do reciprocate in any way.

Scooter
02-04-2011, 04:19 PM
ive met ritchie on a night out. It wouldnt surprise me if he did say it but at the same time id be very surprised if he meant it in the contexts its been taken. I got the impression very quickly that the guy loves a wind up and a laugh and will quite happily take it as well.

So he probably shouldnt have said it but i bet he was trying to be funny

Sir David Gray
02-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Why are we implicated in it though? The yams sing ' up to our knees in fenian blood', they have a section of their support who are vociferously and vocally anti-catholic.

Towell starting that he had had sectarian abuse from the yams support does not imply that we as the hibernian support haver or do reciprocate in any way.

I do believe that Hearts have a bigger problem with this type of thing than we do (although I still believe that their problem is fairly minor) but we still do have an element in our support that would quite happily see us turn into a smaller version of Celtic.

The "forever and ever" song that has recently surfaced at games is an example of that.

Arch Stanton
02-04-2011, 04:27 PM
And the Scotsman

I just had a look at how Towell had been "quoted" in the Sun, The EEN and The Scotsman and strangely they all had different phraseology and even sentence structure.

So, it is clear that at least two of the three papers were not quoting Towell at all but rather paraphrasing him.

It couldn't be possible that ALL the press just paraphrased what he said in the interests of getting in a good story, could it? It would certainly be shocking if true. :agree:

Hibernia Na Eir
02-04-2011, 06:28 PM
you beat me to this post.

Says it all really when a young Irish lad, who probably hadnt even heard of Hearts before he came to this country, has now made this comment. Hearts fans certainly are one bigoted lot at their own crappy shelter of a stadium. The venom all hails from the bitter, bitter sour taste from 1986.

Wonder if their very own Stephen Elliot gets the Fenian/ blood/ knees crap from their peanut brain fans. Doubt it.

Get the Irish flags out tomorrow and wind these numpties up in support of young Richie Towell:flag:

marinello59
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Says it all really when a young Irish lad, who probably hadnt even heard of Hearts before he came to this country, has now made this comment. Hearts fans certainly are one bigoted lot at their own crappy shelter of a stadium. The venom all hails from the bitter, bitter sour taste from 1986.

Wonder if their very own Stephen Elliot gets the Fenian/ blood/ knees crap from their peanut brain fans. Doubt it.

Get the Irish flags out tomorrow and wind these numpties up in support of young Richie Towell:flag:

Are you really that naive or just on the wind up?

Sir David Gray
02-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Let's not.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2011, 06:38 PM

FLAG DEBATE ALERT!!!

I'd rather we just got the Hibs flags out, if it's all the same...

Hibernia Na Eir
02-04-2011, 07:11 PM
Are you really that naive or just on the wind up?

the later:wink:

Vini1875
02-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Whether it is wise to say or not is one debate, but the reality is for a lot of hearts supporters religion and nationality do come into it, especially Irish and Catholic. The same cannot be said of Hibs fans. I can't ever remember anyone getting stick for being a Protestant.

I say good on Richie for saying it. hearts will only do something about their fans if the spot light is put on them.

Hibernia Na Eir
02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
FLAG DEBATE ALERT!!!

I'd rather we just got the Hibs flags out, if it's all the same...

I guess your right. But the blunt fact is, Hearts fans dont care if your black, white, RC or whatever. If your Celtic or Hibs - your a Fenian Bassa (players & fans) in a good majority of their eyes :agree:

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2011, 07:21 PM
I guess your right. But the blunt fact is, Hearts fans dont care if your black, white, RC or whatever. If your Celtic or Hibs - your a Fenian Bassa (players & fans) in a good majority of their eyes :agree:

Can't agree with that at all. The Jambos I know do the same as us and roll their eyes at the nonsense along the M8.

matty_f
02-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Can't agree with that at all. The Jambos I know do the same as us and roll their eyes at the nonsense along the M8.

:agree:Agree that it's not a majority, however there is a very vocal section at the PBS (and more evident when they come to Easter Road) that happily belt out the 'up to our knees in fenian blood' pish.

lapsedhibee
02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't think Hearts as a club act as responsibly in this matter as Hibs - there's one particular section of Tynecastle notorious for racist and sectarian abuse of players. Nothing that I know of has been done to curb these people, either by Hearts or by the police.
Didn't The Pieman :not worth try to stamp all that out?

a young Irish lad, who probably hadnt even heard of Hearts before he came to this country
:tsk tsk: Hearts are a global brand.

AFKA5814_Hibs
02-04-2011, 07:54 PM
If he wasn't going to get overly treatment from the Yams before he will now. Why not just leave our talking to what happens on the pitch, nae need to bring anything that happened as a Celtic employee into this.

TBH, I like Towell as a player and think he will be an excellent player for Hibs if we can get him permanently from Celtic.

MrSmith
02-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Have to disagree with that! I was brought up in Gracemount and there was about a 60/40% in favour of Hearts. However, there was never any issue over religion nor Catholicism except the ignorance and fights between both primary schools. But having spent a lot of time in Gilmerton, Moredun, Hyvots and the Inch I would have to say that its more or less the same.

My pals who are Jambos are good guys and out of 10 not one of them is a bigot nor has any of them called me or my Hibs supporting pals a Fenian bassa!

I would hope though... that you are not being indicative of the typical paranoia that equates with most of the faith??

Golden Bear
02-04-2011, 07:58 PM
On reflection, - who really cares a flying Let's get right intae them tomorrow!

Capt Mainwaring
02-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Have to disagree with that! I was brought up in Gracemount and there was about a 60/40% in favour of Hearts. However, there was never any issue over religion nor Catholicism except the ignorance and fights between both primary schools. But having spent a lot of time in Gilmerton, Moredun, Hyvots and the Inch I would have to say that its more or less the same.

My pals who are Jambos are good guys and out of 10 not one of them is a bigot nor has any of them called me or my Hibs supporting pals a Fenian bassa!

I would hope though... that you are not being indicative of the typical paranoia that equates with most of the faith??

Out of interest how many of them would confess to joining in the "Hello Hello .....up to our knees in fenian blood" drivel that pours out of three sides of tynecastle at hibs or celtic games?

Hibernia Na Eir
02-04-2011, 08:41 PM

On reflection, - who really cares a flying *uck - Let's get right intae them tomorrow!

Have you HEARD them, especially on their travels?? Come on. Open up your ears and be honest here. Its more than a good few who belt out the songs. Maybe not your pals who join in, but lets just wait until tomorrow and listen to how many of them in the South Stand join in with the "banter". Fair enough point?
Its also well known that those who make the journey along the M8 to Parkhead do so to flaunt their hatred and spout their poison. Ive been told this form a Hearts fan. Does it honestly come as any surprise?!!

That young Richie Towell is aware of Hearts supporters hatred of Irishismn/Catholicism is a daming verdit of their support :agree:

Golden Bear, well said!

MrSmith
02-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Out of interest how many of them would confess to joining in the "Hello Hello .....up to our knees in fenian blood" drivel that pours out of three sides of tynecastle at hibs or celtic games?

None of them would sing it! Wouldn't have even crossed their minds in all honesty!

MrSmith
02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Have you HEARD them, especially on their travels?? Come on. Open up your ears and be honest here. Its more than a good few who belt out the songs. Maybe not your pals who join in, but lets just wait until tomorrow and listen to how many of them in the South Stand join in with the "banter". Fair enough point?
Its also well known that those who make the journey along the M8 to Parkhead do so to flaunt their hatred and spout their poison. Ive been told this form a Hearts fan. Does it honestly come as any surprise?!!

That young Richie Towell is aware of Hearts supporters hatred of Irishismn/Catholicism is a daming verdit of their support :agree:

Golden Bear, well said!

I do understand that there is a minority of Hearts fans of whom spout their sectarian bile however, let us not tar all of them with that particular brush. It wasn't so long ago that quite a few of us Hibees would respond by singing the Soldier song - I was one of them! Completely out of ignorance and stupidity!!

Capt Mainwaring
02-04-2011, 09:17 PM
None of them would sing it! Wouldn't have even crossed their minds in all honesty!

Fair play, and good on them. Wasn't having a go. Genuinely interested in trying to understand the minds of hearts fans and those who fall into the 90 minute bigot brigade.

MrSmith
02-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Fair play, and good on them. Wasn't having a go. Genuinely interested in trying to understand the minds of hearts fans and those who fall into the 90 minute bigot brigade.

No worries, I must admit to being a tad intrigued also. I know in East, West and Midlothian there is quite a few undesirable lodges with a most definite colour and stance! However other than this I cannot understand the small minds that would do want to be part of it??

Capt Mainwaring
02-04-2011, 09:39 PM
No worries, I must admit to being a tad intrigued also. I know in East, West and Midlothian there is quite a few undesirable lodges with a most definite colour and stance! However other than this I cannot understand the small minds that would do want to be part of it??

Quite a few Jams in a flap over on Kickback over the Press coverage of Towell's comments. Scrambling for the moral high ground and in denial of the element of their support that's still living in the dark ages!

I just don't get the mindset of people that consider it of any importance to even worry or get hung up about someone else's religion!

matty_f
02-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Quite a few Jams in a flap over on Kickback over the Press coverage of Towell's comments. Scrambling for the moral high ground and in denial of the element of their support that's still living in the dark ages!

I just don't get the mindset of people that consider it of any importance to even worry or get hung up about someone else's religion!

I can imagine the indignation and pant-wetting that'll be happening over there. There will be calls to get G4 or whatever they're called to spring into action, or demands of apologies, and you can pretty much guarantee that they'll forget the songs they sing, the flags they bear, and the red hand gestures they make.

They may point to Irish Catholic players in their side to show how they couldn't possibly be bigoted in the same way that they'll ignore the fact they threw bananas at Mark Walters when they said they have black players, so how can they be racist?

Yep, they'll make Richie out to be the bad guy while ignoring the reasons he can legitimately make a statement like the one he did.

Hibernia Na Eir
02-04-2011, 10:58 PM
I agree that not all 100% of Yams at home games will partake in the "banter", but come on, when they visit Hibs and, in particular Celtic its more than noticeable than its more then a few of them involved. Like i said, a majority take part in the singing.

Whats more, whilst its bad enough for them to dribble their rubbish at ER and Parkhead, those Hearts fans who do spout the bigotted venom at the PBS do so in front of family sections and kids. Ive witnessed it.

And we wonder why Hearts fans havent given up the party songs and suchlike, unlike Hibs who did so many years ago....

Maybe those who have Hearts fans as friends who dont partake in the "banter" could educate those who do? Just a thought...

Anyway GGTTH

Capt Mainwaring
02-04-2011, 11:24 PM
I can imagine the indignation and pant-wetting that'll be happening over there. There will be calls to get G4 or whatever they're called to spring into action, or demands of apologies, and you can pretty much guarantee that they'll forget the songs they sing, the flags they bear, and the red hand gestures they make.

They may point to Irish Catholic players in their side to show how they couldn't possibly be bigoted in the same way that they'll ignore the fact they threw bananas at Mark Walters when they said they have black players, so how can they be racist?

Yep, they'll make Richie out to be the bad guy while ignoring the reasons he can legitimately make a statement like the one he did.

Oh yes - Towell is the bad guy over there sure enough.

When a bit of self reflection is asked from the jambos don't like what they see.

As a club Hearts have done naff all over the years to root out the ****bags. In fact you could say they have given them their very own Section in the Asbestos Stand Lower to stand and spout the bile, fly the Red Hands, Union Jacks and give it plenty with the "up to our knees..." keeck. And a rousing chorus of Hello Hello from all Stands when the occassion requires.

GGTTH

franks
02-04-2011, 11:34 PM
I met up with a hearts mate on Thursday who said this would probably be his last ER derby as he was embarrassed by what he called "the union jack brigade". He said that several of his mates stayed away from ER for the same reason. The upshot is that possibly the majority of the away support will be bigots on Sunday although they make up only a small minority of the hearts support.

For the record he doesn't think that Hibs have a sectarian problem, and he is ashamed that hearts do.

TheGreenMan
03-04-2011, 12:03 AM
on reflection, - who really cares a flying - let's get right intae them tomorrow!

yes yes yes yes yes yes. This.

TheGreenMan
03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
On reflection, - who really cares a flying - Let's get right intae them tomorrow!

:agree:

TheGreenMan
On reflection, - who really cares a flying - Let's get right intae them tomorrow!

:flag:

TheGreenMan

:cgwa

Ernie Cobra
03-04-2011, 07:46 AM
I used to get in a faff about religious songs, bigotry and sectarianism etc. Especially when Hertz, Rankgers and Celtc came to ER and belted them out.

Now I couldn't give a hoot.

This pash is at the heart of everything that is wrong with the world so I no longer spend any time getting my knickers in a twist about it.

If what Ritchie has said has wound up a few Yamboids then it has served a good purpose and nothing should be read in to it.

Lets get it right up these Queen loving perverts!

:top marks:top marksspot on

:devil:

Ernie Cobra
03-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Have any of you been to a Hearts Cetic game at Tynie? I had hospitality there a few yerars ago, and to say it was Bigoted is a huge understatement. I found the whole thing mental, they seem to hate Celtic more than us.

There IS without doubt a massive element of thier support that are anti irish and anti catholic, whether through ignorance or substance there IS WITHOUT DOUBT a problem there.

Not so long ago Combat 18 were recruiting at Tynie becuase they knew they would have a favourable reception there. Anybody saying they dont have a problem there, either doesnt know enough jambos or at the wind up! There are elements within our supoort that would be on a par, but as posted before, they are individuals, not in thier hundreds or indeed thousands.

For what its worth, i think Richie did no wrong, and i sincerely hope he rams it right up them today.

GGTTH.......let the games commence!

Hibernia Na Eir
03-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Have any of you been to a Hearts Cetic game at Tynie? I had hospitality there a few yerars ago, and to say it was Bigoted is a huge understatement. I found the whole thing mental, they seem to hate Celtic more than us.

There IS without doubt a massive element of thier support that are anti irish and anti catholic, whether through ignorance or substance there IS WITHOUT DOUBT a problem there.

Not so long ago Combat 18 were recruiting at Tynie becuase they knew they would have a favourable reception there. Anybody saying they dont have a problem there, either doesnt know enough jambos or at the wind up! There are elements within our supoort that would be on a par, but as posted before, they are individuals, not in thier hundreds or indeed thousands.

For what its worth, i think Richie did no wrong, and i sincerely hope he rams it right up them today.

GGTTH.......let the games commence!

At last, someone who's been listening when at Tynecastle!

C18 were finding it tougher at Ibrox so started recruited at Hearts (an olbvious choice). This to me says everything about their support. As others have stated, Hearts have done nothing to remove the culprits and stadium chiefs seem happy to allow the poison to continue at the PBS. Its just good old Gorgie "banter" though. Just "daft young laddies". Fek off. Im not having that for one second. Hearts are a biggoted club. Their fans hate Catholics and make it abundantly clear. If they were to make attempts to stop it, remove the braindead then it might be different. Until then, they are a bigotted club. Its one thing waving a flag to taunt oppositon fans (i don't see the problem), but a completely different thing when many 000's or 1000's decide to tell us they are up to their knees in Fenian blood or get the odd little red hand salute (or is that the Nazi salute???)

Guess its just friendly Scottish banter.

Stokesy
03-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Their lot know who he is now that he's playing 1st team football at Hibs... so do you honestly believe if he went to take a corner/retrieve the ball near them he wouldn't get fenian B, Irish C?

I'd never heard of him before he made these comments.

If the thread about him on Kickback is anything to go by the same can be said for most Hearts fans.

Dinkydoo
03-04-2011, 09:04 AM
At last, someone who's been listening when at Tynecastle!

C18 were finding it tougher at Ibrox so started recruited at Hearts (an olbvious choice). This to me says everything about their support. As others have stated, Hearts have done nothing to remove the culprits and stadium chiefs seem happy to allow the poison to continue at the PBS. Its just good old Gorgie "banter" though. Just "daft young laddies". Fek off. Im not having that for one second. Hearts are a biggoted club. Their fans hate Catholics and make it abundantly clear. If they were to make attempts to stop it, remove the braindead then it might be different. Until then, they are a bigotted club. Its one thing waving a flag to taunt oppositon fans (i don't see the problem), but a completely different thing when many 000's or 1000's decide to tell us they are up to their knees in Fenian blood or get the odd little red hand salute (or is that the Nazi salute???)

Guess its just friendly Scottish banter.

Give it a bloody rest.

My dad is a jambo, many of my friends are jambos and are disgusted at the way some "hearts supporters" go on these days. But to suggest it's a majority (like you've done in so many posts on this thread) is ridiculous.

Yes I've heard the "hullo, hullo" song quite cleaqry in the last few derbies but I've also heard a couple of fannies in our support shouting about Novo being shot by the IRA (even though he doesn't even play for der hun anymore :confused:) this season.

Lets leave the ignorance to Rantic and enjoy the game today - I'm off to the pub :greengrin