PDA

View Full Version : The demise of Andy Murray

Sir David Gray
01-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Another 'early bath' was had by Andy Murray as he exited the Miami Masters at the first hurdle.

It's the third tournament in a row where Murray has failed to get past his first opponent and he's now not won a match since he beat David Ferrer in the semi finals of the Australian Open in January. Not only that, but he's not even managed to win a set since that match either.

Since then he lost heavily to Novak Djokovic in the final of the Australian Open, he then lost to Marcos Baghdatis in the first round of the ABN AMRO tournament in Rotterdam and following on from that he's now lost his opening matches in successive Masters tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami against Donald Young and Alex Bogomolov Jr respectively.

With the clay court season almost upon us and Murray sitting in 5th place in the rankings with no sign of his decline being reversed any time soon, there is a serious danger that he could find himself 7th or 8th in the world by the time Wimbledon comes around in June. If that were to happen, it would have a pretty big impact on his seeding at major tournaments.

Earlier on tonight, he 'tweeted' that he had appointed close friend Ross Hutchins as his new coach and this was widely reported in the British media almost immediately. However, the penny eventually dropped and people realised the date and that it was nothing more than an April Fools' Day prank.

Hopefully he will find himself a big name coach, someone who he is prepared to listen to and someone who is prepared to kick him up the backside, get him motivated again and get him back to playing the way that we all know he can.

He's been as high as number two in the world and he's been to three Grand Slam finals and you don't do all that if you're a bad player.

I don't believe there's anything physically that Murray has to worry about as I consider him to be one of the fittest players in the game. In my opinion, his problem is all in the mind and that is potentially a bigger problem than if it was about tactics or his physical state. However, he wouldn't be the first sportsman who's had to overcome mental issues and it's something that can be worked on.

It would just be a great shame if his early potential isn't realised and he ends up going downhill and into complete obscurity.

As things stand, Murray's chosen not to play at the Monte Carlo Masters and he'll make his first clay court appearance of the year in Barcelona in a couple of weeks' time. He needs something - anything - to get his season back on track and get his confidence going again.

Dashing Bob S
02-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Another 'early bath' was had by Andy Murray as he exited the Miami Masters at the first hurdle.

It's the third tournament in a row where Murray has failed to get past his first opponent and he's now not won a match since he beat David Ferrer in the semi finals of the Australian Open in January. Not only that, but he's not even managed to win a set since that match either.

Since then he lost heavily to Novak Djokovic in the final of the Australian Open, he then lost to Marcos Baghdatis in the first round of the ABN AMRO tournament in Rotterdam and following on from that he's now lost his opening matches in successive Masters tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami against Donald Young and Alex Bogomolov Jr respectively.

With the clay court season almost upon us and Murray sitting in 5th place in the rankings with no sign of his decline being reversed any time soon, there is a serious danger that he could find himself 7th or 8th in the world by the time Wimbledon comes around in June. If that were to happen, it would have a pretty big impact on his seeding at major tournaments.

Earlier on tonight, he 'tweeted' that he had appointed close friend Ross Hutchins as his new coach and this was widely reported in the British media almost immediately. However, the penny eventually dropped and people realised the date and that it was nothing more than an April Fools' Day prank.

Hopefully he will find himself a big name coach, someone who he is prepared to listen to and someone who is prepared to kick him up the backside, get him motivated again and get him back to playing the way that we all know he can.

He's been as high as number two in the world and he's been to three Grand Slam finals and you don't do all that if you're a bad player.

I don't believe there's anything physically that Murray has to worry about as I consider him to be one of the fittest players in the game. In my opinion, his problem is all in the mind and that is potentially a bigger problem than if it was about tactics or his physical state. However, he wouldn't be the first sportsman who's had to overcome mental issues and it's something that can be worked on.

It would just be a great shame if his early potential isn't realised and he ends up going downhill and into complete obscurity.

As things stand, Murray's chosen not to play at the Monte Carlo Masters and he'll make his first clay court appearance of the year in Barcelona in a couple of weeks' time. He needs something - anything - to get his season back on track and get his confidence going again.

It's been a very sad decline for a talented player, and its such competitive field with so many emerging talents that you can't afford to drop in way he has or you risk going into free fall.

I think you're right; he needs a new coach asap and not a yes man, one who will put him right out his comfort zone.

Pretty Boy
05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
It's been a very sad decline for a talented player, and its such competitive field with so many emerging talents that you can't afford to drop in way he has or you risk going into free fall.

I think you're right; he needs a new coach asap and not a yes man, one who will put him right out his comfort zone.

I don't claim to be a tennis expert but i always though the lack of respect Murray showed to his coaches and family during matches was pretty poor. Swearing at them when he lost points and whatever just seemed really childish.

Think you're right, he needs someone who isn't a yes man and will give him a proper boot up the erse when he needs it.

CallumLaidlaw
05-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Funny thing is, he's going to to be number 4 again in the next few days purely because of other results.
He needs to screw the nut quickly and get someone that he respects and trusts them to go out of his comfort zone.
Otherwise he's going to be the Colin Montgomery of tennis

steakbake
05-04-2011, 04:57 PM
I often think his various sulks and tantrums just basically look childish. He's is still attached to the apron strings and there is only so far he'll be able to go.

Not saying there's no place for his Mum, but I think the way he acts shows that he's very aware of her when he's playing. Who else is he pulling the tantrums for?

Sir David Gray
06-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Funny thing is, he's going to to be number 4 again in the next few days purely because of other results.
He needs to screw the nut quickly and get someone that he respects and trusts them to go out of his comfort zone.
Otherwise he's going to be the Colin Montgomery of tennis

I saw that yesterday!

He's lost four matches in a row and is subsequently going through the worst run of his professional career and yet he actually moves up a place to 4th in the world rankings!

I think it's quite telling that he's decided to play at the Monte Carlo Masters which starts next week. He hadn't originally entered the tournament but he has now accepted a wildcard.

He obviously feels that he needs as much practice on clay as possible before the French Open and I think he's made the correct decision.

As I said in my original post, I think that he just needs one good run at a tournament to get his confidence back and then hopefully we'll see the return of the real Andy Murray.

He desperately needs a coach who is going to be firm with him and tell him where he's going wrong and what he needs to do in order to win Majors.

The problem in tennis is that it's the player who employs the coach and if the player doesn't like what the coach is telling them, even if the coach is correct, then the player will sack the coach.

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I saw that yesterday!

He's lost four matches in a row and is subsequently going through the worst run of his professional career and yet he actually moves up a place to 4th in the world rankings!

I think it's quite telling that he's decided to play at the Monte Carlo Masters which starts next week. He hadn't originally entered the tournament but he has now accepted a wildcard.

He obviously feels that he needs as much practice on clay as possible before the French Open and I think he's made the correct decision.

As I said in my original post, I think that he just needs one good run at a tournament to get his confidence back and then hopefully we'll see the return of the real Andy Murray.

He desperately needs a coach who is going to be firm with him and tell him where he's going wrong and what he needs to do in order to win Majors.

The problem in tennis is that it's the player who employs the coach and if the player doesn't like what the coach is telling them, even if the coach is correct, then the player will sack the coach.

Nutshell. The big problem of individual sports. Once a top pro boxer takes charge of his own training camp, it invariably ends in tears. Same with tennis. It's a rudderless ship - you can't coach yourself.