PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan

3pm
01-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Time to stand up and be counted Derek lad.

Huge fan of yours but your last 2 derby performances haven't been good enough and we need all our main men 'at it'. We actually need everyone at their peak.

Go on Deeks, make our day!

The Gorf
01-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Time to stand up and be counted Derek lad.

Huge fan of yours but your last 2 derby performances haven't been good enough and we need all our main men 'at it'. We actually need everyone at their peak.

Go on Deeks, make our day!

And on the park!! :flag::flag:

Mark79
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Better team around him now may mean he can do more of what we know he is capable of.

JimBHibees
01-04-2011, 12:11 PM
:singing:He's one of our own, He's one of our ownnnn,

Derek Riordan, he's one of our own:singing:

totalfootball
01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Not being negative,I love deeks but I think he'll start on the bench

iwasthere1972
01-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Hope (if he plays) that he sticks to doing his talking on the field and doesn't get involved with any nonsense resulting in a silly red card.

KWJ
01-04-2011, 04:09 PM
I'd actually go with Sodje and Vaz Te for this one. Bring Deeks on later.

H18Y GW
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Not being negative,I love deeks but I think he'll start on the bench

:aok:

matty_f
01-04-2011, 08:23 PM

Yep, I'd probably do that as well. :agree:

Hibercelona
01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
I predict he'll be a lazy bassa again.

But as long as he puts 3 or more past them, then i suppose i can let him off. :wink:

woodythehibee
01-04-2011, 08:59 PM
If you wanna start deek on the bench, I guess you go with this team?

Brown

Towell Dickoh Hanlon Booth

Miller Palsson Scott Spoony

Sodje Vaz te

matty_f
01-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Brown

Sodje Vaz te

Brown

Miller Palsson Murray Scott

Vaz Te Sodje

That would do, or swap Murray and Miller and put Wotherspoon on the right.

ancient hibee
01-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Why the love affair with the new guys-are they really more clinical in front of goals than Riordan.Has Vaz Tez given any indication that he will score goals?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Why the love affair with the new guys-are they really more clinical in front of goals than Riordan.Has Vaz Tez given any indication that he will score goals?

No, no he hasn't.

PC Stamp
01-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I'd start with Derek. This could be his last Edinburgh derby.

H18sry
01-04-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd start with Derek. This could be his last Edinburgh derby.

for us :wink:

FranckSuzy
01-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Liked how DA got a dig in about Deek not being selected by HP on STV's Sports Centre :agree:

IWasThere2016
01-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Mon the Deeks! :thumbsup:

Westie1875
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Liked how DA got a dig in about Deek not being selected by HP on STV's Sports Centre :agree:

Did he, what was said?

Riordans Boots
01-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Mon the Deeks! :thumbsup:

Absolutely :thumbsup:

Derek Riordan will be hungry to play this game because - "He's one of our own" :not worth :flag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCi33Vdb-g :not worth

Removed
01-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Did he, what was said?

Said twice that as he is a great scorer in the spl it was unfortunate he never got a call.

Diclonius
01-04-2011, 11:32 PM

Brown

Sodje Vaz te

Miller's been horrendous in every derby he's played in. I'd bring in Thornhill and move Wotherspoon to the right.

moggie
02-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Absolutely :thumbsup:

Derek Riordan will be hungry to play this game because - "He's one of our own" :not worth :flag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCi33Vdb-g :not worth

what happened to his last 2 derby outings :rolleyes:

Cabbage East
02-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I hope deek starts the morn. Proven goalscorer in derbies.

Golden Bear
02-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Miller's been horrendous in every derby he's played in. I'd bring in Thornhill and move Wotherspoon to the right.

:agree:

I'd totally agree with that.

When the tough get going then the Miller man disappears unfortunately.

sunshine1875
02-04-2011, 09:48 AM

I'd totally agree with that.

When the tough get going then the Miller man disappears unfortunately.

What I have been saying for ages..............below from a post from 3 weeks ago!

When the going gets tough, Liam Miller goes hiding!

Nothing against him personally, but I would rather we tried a willing, young enthusiastic player on the way up (similar to Palsson) than a player who has never ever lived up to his potental.

I would not be disappointed if he re-signs, but my preference is to get someone else in. I trust CC to get the right person.

Part/Time Supporter
03-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the memories, but adios Derek.

Steve-O
03-04-2011, 01:45 PM
When Riordan can no longer even score, he doesn't offer too much. A number of bad misses today :brickwall

SlickShoes
03-04-2011, 01:46 PM
When Riordan can no longer even score, he doesn't offer too much. A number of bad misses today :brickwall

That one at the end was a shocker, should have at least been on target but going for a throw in, pretty poor.

essexhibee
Jesus Derek that was painful.

How many times could you have won us the derby?

HUTCHYHIBBY
He certainly had a 'mare today, took the ball off Vaz Te's toe at the end there.

bob12345
03-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Really wasn't his day. Nearly each of his easy chances could have been slipped to the side for a team mate to tap in.

Jim44
03-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I've always been pro Riordan in any debate about him and think he has been immense for Hibs. But I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that he is now past his sell by date with us. I thought he was ineffective today and sadly won't be missed if he leaves, as most of the pundits are now openly saying.

Keith_M
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I've always been pro Riordan in any debate about him and think he has been immense for Hibs. But I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that he is now past his sell by date with us. I thought he was ineffective today and sadly won't be missed if he leaves, as most of the pundits are now openly saying.

If I were CC, I wouldn't bother starting Riordan again this season. Don't see that there's any point in him playing if he's both leaving and off form anyway.

Riordans Boots
03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Awww FFS - Give the guy a break :bitchy:

Frustrating - AYE - We all are - a bet DR is too :grr:

marjoriebanks
03-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Agree, many of the ex pro's and a past manager have commented that he plays for himself. This was evident today, glory on his mind rather than team glory. Time to look at developing someone else and to say thanks but allow him to go.

Wembley67
03-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Glad his contract is up. He had been a great servant but a flash of brilliance every couple of games isn't enough to justify a new contract.

ScottB
03-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Time for him to go. Today showed that, if he can't turn it on the match he used to thrive in then that says it all.

Hibs_SW
03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Been playing for himself for a while but most folk on here bite ur head of if someone has an opinion and it isnt saying he is fantastic!!!! So I'm sure the abuse will be flowing soon!

sesoim
03-04-2011, 02:18 PM

:agree: The fact that he hasn't signed a contract suggests neither he nor Hibs are desperate for him to stay. If he had still be in decent form I'm sure we would have offered him a good enough contract to stay. If he does leave though, that will be a waste of £400k or whatever it was we paid for him, considering we let him go to Celtic for next to nothing in the first place.

col02
03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
It says something for his level of performance today when I thought bringing Stevenson on for him to play left midfield would have been a good move!

Hibbyradge
03-04-2011, 02:30 PM
He's been poor all season and as good as a man short today. Pity.

Kaiser1962
03-04-2011, 02:31 PM
He was dissapointing and quite selfish today which probably cost us in the end, although I though he worked harder when not in possession than he has for a while.

That said I would have taken a point at the start.

GloryGlory
03-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Glad his contract is up. He had been a great servant but a flash of brilliance every couple of games isn't enough to justify a new contract.

More like every 20 games, these days!

Bayern Bru
03-04-2011, 02:39 PM
We could have scored at least 5 today, that I can think of, including the two goals.

Sodje's header
Miller's penalty
Palsson's shot
Riordan over the bar
Riordan at the death

I'm sure he is frustrated, but he could easily have won the game for us today. As could the other players if their chances had gone in, right enough, but he had the most chances and for someone who "can win matches," he's not managed that much recently, even despite his tracking back improving.

If he didn't play for himself then I think we'd have come away with three points this afternoon.

Aye well.

Hiber-nation
03-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Agree and I can't see him playing at any great level next either. He'll need to go abroad.

MountcastleHibs
03-04-2011, 02:46 PM

Derek was certainly clinical today eh? He should've scored four goals, but did he? No.

Vaz Te had one chance, one goal. He starts ahead of Riordan every time for me. Riordan is meant to be here to finish the chances off and produce a bit of magic. I've not seen any of that for months. He's not doing what people say he is in the team to do, so whats the point in having him in the side? Oh, I forgot. He's one of our own so that's ok.

GloryGlory
03-04-2011, 02:47 PM
We could have scored at least 5 today, that I can think of, including the two goals.

Sodje's header
Miller's penalty
Palsson's shot
Riordan over the bar
Riordan at the death

I'm sure he is frustrated, but he could easily have won the game for us today. As could the other players if their chances had gone in, right enough, but he had the most chances and for someone who "can win matches," he's not managed that much recently, even despite his tracking back improving.

If he didn't play for himself then I think we'd have come away with three points this afternoon.

Aye well.

Dickoh's free header at the end of the first half. Mistimed it completely.

Judas Iscariot
03-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Give him a break ffs..

On another day he'd of had a hat trick, today wasn't his day though!

Every chance bar one fell on his weaker foot!

Didn't put a foot wrong apart from losing the ball in the 1st half but he then won the ball back!

Still a class act and linked up well with Vaz Te..

500miles
03-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Yesterdays man. Didn't test the Hearts back four at all.

He's not got much longer as an SPL regular. 2 maybe 3 seasons.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Sorry Fallout, but you're well wide me the mark.

Deek didn't link well with anyone and he shirked every tackle, as usual.

I can fogive him missing chances,although that's what he's supposed to excel at,but his overall contribution was minimal.

He may want to stay at Hibs but I don't think he'll get his wish. He's just not good enough.

Green Man
03-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I can understand why Riordan shot from a narrow angle when the cut back was the better option. He's a Hibs fan and wants to score the winner in a derby, something we all dream of. But as a professional and a team player, he should have gone for the cut back. He's not as good as he thinks he is and I won't be disappointed if he leaves in the summer.

shamo9
03-04-2011, 03:21 PM
The ironic thing about today is a couple of times when it was actually on for Derek to shoot, he hesitated and ended up bottling it. The one in the first half where he gave away the ball from a free kick has been mentioned, I'd also throw in the one in the second half where he tried to go round the keeper, where in hindsight he was as well just trying to get it under the keeper like Vaz Te.

The only reason debate over Murray and Riordan gets so hostile is because of the history they have with the club. The fact is there is no room for sentiment in the modern game. If Ian Murray and Derek Riordan were playing well and a bigger club came in for them they'd be off in a second (as they both have done previously before crawling back). Why should we then treat them differently when the shoe is on the other foot?

They're not playing well any more and being Hibs fans probably does nothing to help their mentality considering we've been playing the hard luck card for decades. I too hope that Calderwood continues the hunt for younger, hungrier players like Vic and Vaz in the future. I wouldn't say no to someone like Adam Rooney replacing Riordan in the summer. I'm not denying he's a Hibs legend for scoring 100 goals, but everything comes to an end eventually.

madabouthibs
03-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Riordan should be at his peak just now, age and experience-wise, but he just doesn't seem to have it anymore. He's been a great player for us, but that period he spent at Celtic has totally ruined him, and he'll never get that time back.
Looks like Stokes wil lbe going the same way......
Problem is, do we blame Celtic, or are these guys simply unable to handle being billy-big-time? :confused:

.Sean.
03-04-2011, 03:35 PM
He was piss poor again tbh.

He'll more than likely move on in the summer and i'm genuinely not fussy if he does. Controversial perhaps but he's been living on past glories for a while.

Riordans Boots
03-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Give him a break ffs..

Didn't put a foot wrong apart from losing the ball in the 1st half but he then won the ball back!

Wotherspiniesta
03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I agree with the majority

Summed up Derek Riordan in a nutshell when he tried to slide the ball in with his left foot whilst falling on his arse when he could have let Vaz Te finish it off.

He played for himself and lately his decision making has been terrible.

Funnily enough, it used to be his decision making that cut him slack from his lazylike performances, conjuring up goals from nowhere or providing goals for others.

A legend, but a bit like Murray, getting older and not as alert as he used to be.

Time to move on.

Bayern Bru
03-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Riordan should be at his peak just now, age and experience-wise, but he just doesn't seem to have it anymore. He's been a great player for us, but that period he spent at Celtic has totally ruined him, and he'll never get that time back.
Looks like Stokes wil lbe going the same way......
Problem is, do we blame Celtic, or are these guys simply unable to handle being billy-big-time? :confused:

The social lives that some players enjoy undoubtedly has an effect. Some players can mask it with skill, such as players in the Premiership, who can go to clubs in Manchester/Liverpool/London, spend £5k a night and turn in a performance on a Saturday.

Stokes' lifestyle has undoubtedly played a big part in his downfall, and perhaps Riordan's to a lesser extent.

Either that or the players have peaked far, far too early.

PaulSmith
03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I'd only keep Riordan on a contract that was beneficial to Hibs, i.e. no requirement to overspend at the detriment to signing other players.

As much as I've found him to be excellent there is 'something' just not happening for him at the moment.

Winston Ingram
03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
When was Riordans last 'day' as people are describing it. His deterioration has been spectacular. The only reason he his getting a game is because the only option other than him was Nish.

I know he is top scorer he has been ****in murder for 18 months now.

hibee4life1983
03-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Give him a break ffs..

Agree, 100%. So his shooting was a bit off, sodje was far worse imo.

PeeJay
03-04-2011, 04:34 PM
...Sodje's header

... are you seriously suggesting that Sodje won a header today? And he had it on target? I actually thought his best effort was the one where he "narrowly" missed the corner flag and put it out for a throw.. seems to be a specialty of his - must have impressed Riordan because he tried it in the 2nd half too, Sodje's a bad influence if you ask me.

Mind you, I could have missed it though, I was watching on Hibs TV - must watch out for the Sodje header highlights... :greengrin

Bayern Bru
03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
... are you seriously suggesting that Sodje won a header today? And he had it on target? I actually thought his best effort was the one where he "narrowly" missed the corner flag and put it out for a throw.. seems to be a specialty of his - must have impressed Riordan because he tried it in the 2nd half too, Sodje's a bad influence if you ask me.

Mind you, I could have missed it though, I was watching on Hibs TV - must watch out for the Sodje header highlights... :greengrin

I admit that it does sound unlikely, and I may be mistaken :greengrin
People are saying Dickoh had a chance and embarrassing as it may be, I er, might be confusing the two of them... :hide::lips seal

since90plustwo
03-04-2011, 04:47 PM
has to be let go. we dont need him, he couldve won the game today with the amount of chances he missed. usually can count on him to do **** all but take his chances but did neither. cheerio mr riordan.

grunt
03-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Bit surprised at this thread. I wonder what we would be saying if his 85th minute free kick had gone in.

hibee_girl
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't understand the problem people have with Deek today, the people saying he shirked out of every tackle obviously didn't see him tracking back to the corner flag to win the ball back after he lost it. That doesn't sound like a lazy player either does it?

crash
has to be let go. we dont need him, he couldve won the game today with the amount of chances he missed. usually can count on him to do **** all but take his chances but did neither. cheerio mr riordan.

So who are all the great strikers at the club that are better than Riordan?

Andy74
Bit surprised at this thread. I wonder what we would be saying if his 85th minute free kick had gone in.

We would be saying that it was great that he came up with a moment of brilliance again. The times when he doesn't is starting to outweigh those moments again.

Maybe whoever we get to play instead would've scored one of the other chances or laid in for someone else?

Jim44
03-04-2011, 05:16 PM
He was piss poor again tbh.

He'll more than likely move on in the summer and i'm genuinely not fussy if he does. Controversial perhaps but he's been living on past glories for a while.
:agree: but not controversial ............. a glaring fact.

:agree: but the somewhat sarcastic 'Mr Riordan' is not needed as he's been a good servant of the club.

:confused: I don't know why you're surprised. The groundswell of opinion against Riordan's value to Hibs has been growing for ages and the signs are definitely that he should move on. As I've said earlier, I've always supported and valued Riordan but even I can see that he is no more than a passenger who will score the occasional goal. We need more than that if we are going to make any progress next season.

Alfred E Newman
03-04-2011, 05:20 PM
We would be saying that it was great that he came up with a moment of brilliance again. The times when he doesn't is starting to outweigh those moments again.

Maybe whoever we get to play instead would've scored one of the other chances or laid in for someone else?

Missed a lot of chances today but easily our greatest goal threat. Put a great ball ball in for the penalty, sent Booth to the touchline to cross for Dichoh to miss a sitter, won the loose ball in the lead up to Paulsons howler.
Its how you see it I suppose.
There are people on here just don`t like the guy and that is it.

ancient hibee
03-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Missed a lot of chances today but easily our greatest goal threat. Put a great ball ball in for the penalty, sent Booth to the touchline to cross for Dichoh to miss a sitter, won the loose ball in the lead up to Paulsons howler.
Its how you see it I suppose.
Spot on.You see what you want to see I suppose.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Missed a lot of chances today but easily our greatest goal threat. .

Apart from Vaz Te, obviously.

Liking Derek Riordan or not, isn't the issue.

I like him when he plays well. I haven't liked him much this season.

matty_f
03-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Apart from Vaz Te, obviously.

Liking Derek Riordan or not, isn't the issue.

I like him when he plays well. I haven't liked him much this season.

I still like Riordan, however the only reason that I'd be sad to see him go in the summer is that bit of me that is sentimental for the player he used to be.

He offers an occasional goal, has played up front all season so doesn't have the excuse of playing wide left for his relative lack of goals this season. He isn't contributing anywhere near as much as we should expect from him.

Winston Ingram
03-04-2011, 05:52 PM

Why? He's been appalling for over 18 months now. He performs like a 37 yr old rather than a 27 yr old.

If he stays with us next year it'll only be because he has accepted the most spectacular pay cut in the clubs history:agree:

PatHead
03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Must admit I am sad to say I think its all over now for Derek at Easter Road. Thanks for being a great goal scorer, some great memories but think it would be best for us all if he moved on before it goes even further downhill and he finds himself being a bench player at 27.

Jones28
03-04-2011, 06:03 PM
He's finished. Had doubts about him before.

His heart is in it, as is his head, but he cant compete any longer.

He's not fast enough and the number of opportunities he had today was ridiculous.
He should have scored right at the death, I have no doubt a younger Riordan would've buried that chance.

Vaz Te and Sdje up front from now on Colin :agree:

Jim44
03-04-2011, 06:05 PM

He's not fast enough and the number of opportunities he had today was ridiculous.
He should have scored right at the death, I have no doubt a younger Riordan would've buried that chance.

Sadly, I agree about Riordan but Sodge is not good enough.

Dinkydoo
03-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Sodje was worse IMO.

Did he even have a shot on target?

Jones28
03-04-2011, 06:10 PM
To be fair to Riordan Sodje was as bad, but he's playing a hold up/flick on role that needs someone faster and stronger to use.

Riordan is no longer the solution.

As much as it pains me to say it

I'm_cabbaged
03-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Sodje was worse IMO.

Did he even have a shot on target?

He's the worst CF I've seen at ER, end of.

Argylehibby
03-04-2011, 06:16 PM
If he was a team player even once today we would have won. How many times did he go for glory when a pass to a team mate or just getting the **** out the road would have resulted in a goal?

Jones28
03-04-2011, 06:20 PM
He's the worst CF I've seen at ER, end of.

Konte......

Ernie Cobra
03-04-2011, 06:24 PM
what happened to his last 2 derby outings :rolleyes:

whats french for cat?

I'm_cabbaged
03-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Konte......

No, he's worse. Trust me I've seen some **** footballers for us but he's defo the ****test.
Back to the OP Riordan's past it, breaks my heart, but it's true.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2011, 06:40 PM
whats french for cat?

Le chat.

Baldy Foghorn
03-04-2011, 06:43 PM

Was never going to be the same player Second time around.... He missed a couple of sitters today, and the one that gets my goat, is the rebound that he tried to score from an acute angle rather than cut the ball back for Vaz Te.... Never a team player, and too busy moaning at all and sundry around him, which is great if he buries his chances.....

Baldy Foghorn
03-04-2011, 06:44 PM
If he was a team player even once today we would have won. How many times did he go for glory when a pass to a team mate or just getting the **** out the road would have resulted in a goal?

Deek is all about Deek, but should try seeing the bigger picture

matty_f
03-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Deek is all about Deek, but should try seeing the bigger picture

He's never going to change, either, so for me I'll not be anywhere close to slashing my wrists when he inevitably leaves the club in the summer. I could actually see today being his last game for us and I'm not too depressed about that.

Borderhibbie76
03-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Sadly I think Deek's time is coming to an end and is best for all concerned. Very poor today and had the cheek to scream abuse at Callum Booth when he had just missed one of his 3/4 sitters in the 2nd half...why I have nae idea???

Am one of his biggest fans and will ALWAYS be a hibs legend to me but is now a shadow of his former self and a move would probably be best for him and us...

As for some slating Sodje...come on he is nowhere near the worst CF we've had...not even close. The guy gives 110% and is a real presence, ok his finishing ain't the best but the criticism from some is way OTT

EVENTUALLY
03-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Who played the pass into the box for Sodji when he was chopped for the Pen ?....after what leading up to it was Hibs best passing move of the 1st half.

Some people simply do not appreciate DR. He does more often than not look to capitilise on his own ability and we should be thankful for that over the years. I would suggest that Derek's knowledge and awareness of some of his team mates ability is exactly the reason that he looks to take responsiblity in front of goal.

He had a very very rare day today insofar as execution of shooting was concerned, there are not many occasions that I can remember him sclafing or screwing shots astray....but I can already see a consistency in Sodji's wayward efforts and Nish's woeful attempts in his Easter Road career have been regular.

You know how dangerous he is when the support in the Dunbar end take a sharp intake of breath when he is in possession. He's worthy of his own decision making all the time as far as I'm concerned but it simply did'nt come off for him today.

Oh aye just remembered who was it that played in Miller who played in Palsson for the miss of the 2nd half........Selfish Derek the team player.

weedgiehibbie
03-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Riordan has been poor for a number of weeks now. hopefully its just a bad spell and he'll get his form back but i'd rather have him in my team than not & playing against us

I'm_cabbaged
03-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Sadly I think Deek's time is coming to an end and is best for all concerned. Very poor today and had the cheek to scream abuse at Callum Booth when he had just missed one of his 3/4 sitters in the 2nd half...why I have nae idea???

Am one of his biggest fans and will ALWAYS be a hibs legend to me but is now a shadow of his former self and a move would probably be best for him and us...

As for some slating Sodje...come on he is nowhere near the worst CF we've had...not even close. The guy gives 110% and is a real presence, ok his finishing ain't the best but the criticism from some is way OTT

FFS he gets paid for being a footballer, and he's **** at it. He's an athlete but never a footballer.

Bayern Bru
03-04-2011, 07:12 PM
FFS he gets paid for being a footballer, and he's **** at it. He's an athlete but never a footballer.

That must make Colin Nish a clothes horse.

Alfred E Newman
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM

Can I have next years season ticket money refunded ?

I'm_cabbaged
03-04-2011, 07:15 PM
That must make Colin Nish a clothes horse.

Tell you what though, one of these crosses would've ended in the back of the net if that clothes horse was on the park.

hibee_girl
03-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Tell you what though, one of these crosses would've ended in the back of the net if that clothes horse was on the park.

Said at the game I'd rather have had Nish playing today :agree:

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Afraid it's time we told Riordan to move on. Nobody scores more than 100 goals for Hibs without being a great goalscorer, but I think it's time for both parties to move on.

Thanks for the memories Deek. :agree:

crash
03-04-2011, 07:21 PM
And what did you base that statement on.

hibee_girl
03-04-2011, 07:22 PM

That Sodje was god awful today and Nish would have least made the effort to put himself about a bit.

crash
03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
That Sodje was god awful today and Nish would have least made the effort to put himself about a bit.

Sorry when has Nish ever "put himself about" in previous derbies.

Shrekko
03-04-2011, 07:27 PM

You must still be playing 'emperors new clothes' with Sodje.

All the criticisms levelled at Nish could easily be aimed at Sodje except some of crowd want to make him a cult hero.

hibee_girl
03-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Sorry when has Nish ever "put himself about" in previous derbies.

In every one he's ever played I'd say.

Billy Whizz
03-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I can't believe the amount if stick Riordan is taking today. I thought he worked really hard today when we didn't have the ball. Yes he missed chances, but what striker doesn't. At least he was in there to miss then. On another day he might have had a hat-trick.
My only criticism of him today was not squaring the ball when there were 3 Hibs players looking for a cutback!

hibee_girl
03-04-2011, 07:29 PM
You must still be playing 'emperors new clothes' with Sodje.

All the criticisms levelled at Nish could easily be aimed at Sodje except some of crowd want to make him a cult hero.

Exactly.

If that had been Nish on the pitch today he would have been getting booed off.

crash
03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
You must still be playing 'emperors new clothes' with Sodje.All the criticisms levelled at Nish could easily be aimed at Sodje except some of crowd want to make him a cult hero.

I never mentioned Sodje. I was just puzzled as to how anyone who has watched Nish who has played in countless Derbies and done SFA could come to the conclusion that he should warrant a start.

Baldy Foghorn
03-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Why is Nish getting flak when he took no part in Today's match?

Sodje has everything in his game, apart from unfortunately one of the main things in shooting........ We really should have scored 4 or 5 and that is the strikers not doing their jobs IMO

marinello59
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Sodje has everything in his game, apart from unfortunately one of the main things in shooting........ We really should have scored 4 or 5 and that is the strikers not doing their jobs IMO

Beats me. No need for it at all. Maybe it's the same crowd who sang that Riordan's one of our own before booing Nish. :confused:

Baldy Foghorn
03-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Beats me. No need for it at all. Maybe it's the same crowd who sang that Riordan's one of our own before booing Nish. :confused:

Its mental IMO. No one can say that so and so would have done better, because we will never know, unless they have some world renowned prophecy skills.....

Shrekko
03-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Just so I know- what exactly does Sodje have (bar shooting of course)?

Seemingly being 6 foot 2 and being ripped means you are automatically 'a presence'. The guy wins absolutely nothing in the air and has no ball control for holding it up. His shooting and crossing are the worst I've seen from a pro far less a front man.

Shrekko
03-04-2011, 07:52 PM
I never mentioned Sodje. I was just puzzled as to how anyone who has watched Nish who has played in countless Derbies and done SFA could come to the conclusion that he should warrant a start.

Nish is a better player than Sodje. If Colin got even half the support Sodje gets from the crowd at present he'd probably be ok most weeks.

Baldy Foghorn
03-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Just so I know- what exactly does Sodje have (bar shooting of course)?

Seemingly being 6 foot 2 and being ripped means you are automatically 'a presence'. The guy wins absolutely nothing in the air and has no ball control for holding it up. His shooting and crossing are the worst I've seen from a pro far less a front man.

Today was not one of his better displays, but he has brought strength, can hold ball up, and general link up play.....His shooting is woeful I agree, but he has proved to be a handful for defences in recent games barring today IMO

Wotherspiniesta
03-04-2011, 08:00 PM

Shrekko
03-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Today was not one of his better displays, but he has brought strength, can hold ball up, and general link up play.....His shooting is woeful I agree, but he has proved to be a handful for defences in recent games barring today IMO
I respect your opinion but in mine his link up play is hopeless. He wins very few headers for a guy his size.

scoopyboy
03-04-2011, 08:01 PM

That's the whole point.

IF

Argylehibby
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Who played the pass into the box for Sodji when he was chopped for the Pen ?....after what leading up to it was Hibs best passing move of the 1st half.

Some people simply do not appreciate DR. He does more often than not look to capitilise on his own ability and we should be thankful for that over the years. I would suggest that Derek's knowledge and awareness of some of his team mates ability is exactly the reason that he looks to take responsiblity in front of goal.

He had a very very rare day today insofar as execution of shooting was concerned, there are not many occasions that I can remember him sclafing or screwing shots astray....but I can already see a consistency in Sodji's wayward efforts and Nish's woeful attempts in his Easter Road career have been regular.

You know how dangerous he is when the support in the Dunbar end take a sharp intake of breath when he is in possession. He's worthy of his own decision making all the time as far as I'm concerned but it simply did'nt come off for him today.

Oh aye just remembered who was it that played in Miller who played in Palsson for the miss of the 2nd half........Selfish Derek the team player.

Who tried to score when on the bye line with 3 players inside the 6 yard box waiting to tap in the cut back? Who when on their backside took the ball of Vaz Te when he was about to pick his spot? who tried to volley a lob over the keeper with a teammate running into empty space at the penalty spot? Who gave sodje a bollocking for a wild shot that went out for a throw and did the same thing in the 2nd half?
You're clutching at straws when your claiming a pass to someone who passed for someone to miss a chance is worth a mention. Nobody is claiming he doesnt pass to a team mate but there were a number of occassions today when a pass rather than a shot would have been simpler and more beneficial for the TEAM and deeks went for glory.

hibsbollah
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Nish is a better player than Sodje. If Colin got even half the support Sodje gets from the crowd at present he'd probably be ok most weeks.

Nish has played for Hibs for 3 years and has 97 appearances.
Sodje has played for Hibs 7 times.

Its a bit early to judge, dont you think?

H18sry
03-04-2011, 08:03 PM

:confused: Is a striker not meant to know how to shoot :confused:

Baldy Foghorn
03-04-2011, 08:05 PM
:confused: Is a striker not meant to know how to shoot :confused:

Obviously

Shrekko
03-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Nish has played for Hibs for 3 years and has 97 appearances.
Sodje has played for Hibs 7 times.

Its a bit early to judge, dont you think?

Well in think a lot of folk judged that Sodje was better even earlier.

I think it's pretty easy to see that when a guy constantly hits 'shots' 20 yards wide and continually hits crosses behind the goals that he's not really much of a player.

RIP
03-04-2011, 08:20 PM
I can almost forgive him his selfish choices

But his attitude stinks

No player wants to play alongside that

He might be missed by the fans but no the players

Jones28
03-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Can I have next years season ticket money refunded ?

Nut :greengrin

greenlex
03-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Forgetting all that has gone before the laddie is 27. He should be at or nearing his peak. He is far from it. I hope his form picks upbe ause on current form he is not worth another contract Im afraid.

The Harp
03-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I can't believe the amount if stick Riordan is taking today. I thought he worked really hard today when we didn't have the ball. Yes he missed chances, but what striker doesn't. At least he was in there to miss then. On another day he might have had a hat-trick.
My only criticism of him today was not squaring the ball when there were 3 Hibs players looking for a cutback!

Yeah, I'd agree with that. We're all hurting right now so I suppose it's natural for some folk to look for someone to blame. Fair enough he was greedy and it may have cost us the win but he's still by far the best finisher we have IMO.

yekimevol
03-04-2011, 09:01 PM
derek is a player, with so much skill and talent, its a crying shame that he does not use it.

the lad does not look fit ! nor does his head look in the game.

if he had a professionals attitued and looked after himself he would be the best striker in the league, he would have made his goal of the scotland game and most probibly be playing in the premiership !

The Big No.9
03-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Prepared for a slaughtering for what i'm about to say but sod it.

I thought sodje did well today and here is the reasons why.

He might not have won a huge amount of headers today but the hearts CH didnt get massive amounty of clearence on the headers they won, he had the strength to go in against them and challenge making it harder for there CH, he was always an outball, unlike Nish.

How many times was he on his arse, None.

He allowed our fullbacks to get forward as the hearts CH couldnt go and double team them, they had to stay centrally.

Nish cant do any of the above and IMHO is poor and needs moved on, gone stale as has riordan.

But hey the games all about opinions and diffferent peoples viewpoints.

This is mine

BoltonHibee
03-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I thought in general, DR had a good game. Ok his finishing today was not what you would expect of a player of his quality.

I thought he made a nuisance of himself today and got into some great positions. Lost a ball and ran balls out to get it back, where he did win it back to concede a corner.

Some of the positions he got himself in warranted a ball played to him, but his team mates, noteably Booth and Sodje chose to have shots themselves.

I can understand criticism of him for not finding the target today, but nothing else in his play.

craig1989
03-04-2011, 09:30 PM
DR's biggest contribution today was his ball through for the penalty. One perfect pass and the game was totally turned in Hibs favour.

I think his downfall started with Yogi, Yogi went on and on about the need for work-rate and had him tracking back from left midfield! Why waste the talent he has tracking back.

The Mowbray days I think worked well where ok in a much better team he had a free role up top and used to find much more dangerous positions and get shots away

03-04-2011, 10:01 PM
So many chances for Derek today and he couldn't deliver. His finishing nowhere near what it used to, he used to line up a shot and we would be on the edge of our seats but recently it just hasn't happened.

That one when he had a shot and it came back to him and he could have cut it back to the hibs man and it would have been a open goal but instead he tryed to go for the glory and shot it over the bar! Can be so brilliant but also so frustrating!

He has to play for the team more and cut the sulking on the park. he needs to realise that he has to work to create things and that its all not just going to come to him automatically.

marinello59
03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
He had a bad game, OK a bad run of games, but he isn't finished. Deeks seems to have suffered more of a hangover than most from the Yogi reign. The talent he has doesn't just disappear. He still has it and if he isn't doing it for us next season I bet he will be scoring plenty elsewhere.

BoltonHibee
03-04-2011, 10:08 PM
So many chances for Derek today and he couldn't deliver. His finishing nowhere near what it used to, he used to line up a shot and we would be on the edge of our seats but recently it just hasn't happened.

That one when he had a shot and it came back to him and he could have cut it back to the hibs man and it would have been a open goal but instead he tryed to go for the glory and shot it over the bar! Can be so brilliant but also so frustrating!

He has to play for the team more and cut the sulking on the park. he needs to realise that he has to work to create things and that its all not just going to come to him automatically.

What about Booth in the 1st half when he had a shot, but really should have squared it to the better placed Riordan? Or Sodje who went on to have a shot, again in the 1st half instead of squaring to the better placed Riordan?

Should they play more for the team?

If you can get your hands on a copy of todays game, watch it and specifically watch DR. Asides from his poor finishing today, he didn't actually play too badly. He was involved in a lot of the play today and got into some tremendous positions.

talking_wiss
03-04-2011, 10:23 PM
If Deek could play as well as he moans he'd be a great player for the cabbage, as it is I find him painful to watch giving the talent he was blessed with.

At one point today he ran half the park to moan at Booth re. the lack of inside pass, Deeko if you or your fellow striker had that enthusiasm to close down a full back we might have not lost the first goal.

BoltonHibee
03-04-2011, 10:26 PM
He had a bad game, OK a bad run of games, but he isn't finished. Deeks seems to have suffered more of a hangover than most from the Yogi reign. The talent he has doesn't just disappear. He still has it and if he isn't doing it for us next season I bet he will be scoring plenty elsewhere.

Ernie Cobra
03-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Le chat.

yes it is :hmmm:

talking_wiss
03-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Who for???

Boy has the most talent to come through Easter Rd in the last two decades yet looks to today like a 36 yr old striker seeing through his latter years. Can't chase down, can't make a run off the ball, can't hold the ball up and now he doesn't seem to have that spark that kept him going ie goal out nowhere. Bevy has clearly caught up with the boy as he doesn't have that yard of pace with the ball and gets more frustrated by the game, absolutely frightening waste of talent by himself

03-04-2011, 10:48 PM
What about Booth in the 1st half when he had a shot, but really should have squared it to the better placed Riordan? Or Sodje who went on to have a shot, again in the 1st half instead of squaring to the better placed Riordan?

Should they play more for the team?

If you can get your hands on a copy of todays game, watch it and specifically watch DR. Asides from his poor finishing today, he didn't actually play too badly. He was involved in a lot of the play today and got into some tremendous positions.

He wasn't terrible today by any means, he made a few good runs down the wing in the second half and created chances. Bu just his finishing and goal scoring is not what it used to be and sometimes he goes for the glory when passing it is the far better option and the chance is wasted.

Bayern Bru
03-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Aye right enough.
He could have guided it into the net between the flying pigs.

aussie_hibee
04-04-2011, 12:00 AM
If Deek could play as well as he moans he'd be a great player for the cabbage, as it is I find him painful to watch giving the talent he was blessed with.

At one point today he ran half the park to moan at Booth re. the lack of inside pass, Deeko if you or your fellow striker had that enthusiasm to close down a full back we might have not lost the first goal.
I'm pretty sure it was miller and towell who stood off and let the left back have a free cross in to the box but don't let the facts stand in the way of you sprouting pi$h

Disco Dave
04-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Waste of a jersey, can't wait to see the back of him.

Allant1981
04-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Ill be in the minority and hope he stays, shooting wasnt great today but i thought he had a decent game, who is our top goal scorer this year? Yip that would be a certain derek riordan. Who do we have in our team who scores as many goals as him? That will be no one. Hopefully we get another couple of decent strikers in the summer and take some of the burden off him

Phil MaGlass
04-04-2011, 07:00 AM
How many times did he have a chance to square the ball? I lost count. I have always thought the guy was talented but yet again through his greed, we lost two points yesterday. Buck up or buck off Deeks.
And the least said of our defending the better.

Allant1981
04-04-2011, 07:05 AM
How many times did he have a chance to square the ball? I lost count. I have always thought the guy was talented but yet again through his greed, we lost two points yesterday. Buck up or buck off Deeks.
And the least said of our defending the better.

thing is though, how many strikers would pass the ball when they think they can score, probably not very many. I see it most weeks in my own league and these guys are no where near as good as spl strikers. Im by no means a striker but if i fancy a shot i take it on as well then listen to the moans after it

Tricla
04-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Waste of a jersey, can't wait to see the back of him.

Who has scored 100 goals for Hibs.

:not worth

Evergreen86
04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Yet another game that seemed to pass him by.... :taxi

Thoughts?

Steve-O
04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Who has scored 100 goals for Hibs.

:not worth

Been stuck around 100 for a fair while though naw?

BoltonHibee
04-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Yet another game that seemed to pass him by.... :taxi

Thoughts?

Passed him by?

Very good....

Frazerbob
04-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Taxi for Mr 86 me thinks. LTYF

WindyMiller
04-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Who tried to score when on the bye line with 3 players inside the 6 yard box waiting to tap in the cut back? Who when on their backside took the ball of Vaz Te when he was about to pick his spot? who tried to volley a lob over the keeper with a teammate running into empty space at the penalty spot? Who gave sodje a bollocking for a wild shot that went out for a throw and did the same thing in the 2nd half?
You're clutching at straws when your claiming a pass to someone who passed for someone to miss a chance is worth a mention. Nobody is claiming he doesnt pass to a team mate but there were a number of occassions today when a pass rather than a shot would have been simpler and more beneficial for the TEAM and deeks went for glory.

Correct.

JimBHibees
04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Was never going to be the same player Second time around.... He missed a couple of sitters today, and the one that gets my goat, is the rebound that he tried to score from an acute angle rather than cut the ball back for Vaz Te.... Never a team player, and too busy moaning at all and sundry around him, which is great if he buries his chances.....

Completely agree totally selfish to be shooting from practically the bye line when there were 3 Hibs players ready for a tap in. He did link up well at times with Palsson, Vaz te and Thornhill but his effort at the end when Thornhill had brilliantly set him up summed up his performance. Personally would lose no sleep whatsoever if he left at the end of the season, sad as that is.

His form has been poor for ages and dont think his attitude to other players helps too much especially young guys like Booth who again was very good yesterday.
Lets get someone in with more energy and is more of a team player.

PeeJay
04-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Just watched the highlights - Riordan had a good game by many people's standards, perhaps not by his own though? OK, he missed several good opportunities, but that happens to strikers. Seems to me he did a lot of off the ball running, thus helping the team, he played a super pass to Booth (1st half) who then crossed for Dickoh to waste a sitter; the through ball to Sodje (penalty) was his too, I think; he almost made it on to Scott's through ball (1st half) when the Hearts goalie beat him to it, he was also involved in setting up the chance for Palsson 2nd half; he had a fine free kick turned round the corner - TBH having watched the highlights, I don't think he deserves anywhere near the criticism he's getting from some quarters, IMO he definitely was a team player yesterday and he was most certainly not totally selfish. Naturally he also went (on his own) for what he thought were good chances, fair enough. His shooting was awful though - but then sometimes things just don't come off on the park - even for a talented footballer like Riordan. On another day ....

Craig_in_Prague
04-04-2011, 10:05 AM
the most promising thing was that we finally have started to make chances and get Deek in dangerous positions. It's a long time since I've been on the edge of my seat so often in anticipation of Deek scoring.

Gutted for him, the team and all of us, that he didn't take any of his many chances, but it'll come. Also most of his really good chances fell to his left foot which isn't too strong clearly.

Let's not turn on one of our own just coz he didn't score. Overall in the match he was involved, worked hard and on another day he'd have scored 3.

He did not cost us 2 points, if anything our defence did. In fact, we could have been well out of the game before the penalty!

Rasta_Hibs
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I thought in general, DR had a good game. Ok his finishing today was not what you would expect of a player of his quality.

I thought he made a nuisance of himself today and got into some great positions. Lost a ball and ran balls out to get it back, where he did win it back to concede a corner.

Some of the positions he got himself in warranted a ball played to him, but his team mates, noteably Booth and Sodje chose to have shots themselves.

I can understand criticism of him for not finding the target today, but nothing else in his play.

Sorry but i think that is the biggest lot or rubbish i have ever read!

Derek Riordan was terrible and if he does not screw the nut now, seriously he would not get a game for my Sunday league team!

BoltonHibee
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Sorry but i think that is the biggest lot or rubbish i have ever read!

Derek Riordan was terrible and if he does not screw the nut now, seriously he would not get a game for my Sunday league team!

:faf:

Sorry, but as far as reading rubbish goes....it's me that just read it

Away and watch the highlights ffs, then come back

Rasta_Hibs
04-04-2011, 10:37 AM
:faf:

Sorry, but as far as reading rubbish goes....it's me that just read it

Away and watch the highlights ffs, then come back

I love Derek Riordan he has been a great player for us. But if you try and tell me that his touch, shooting and application was better than Sunday League standerd yesterday then you have never put a pair of football boots on your feet!

He was shocking really bad! He put a shot from around the 6 yard box and put it out for a throw in! Thats garbage!

BoltonHibee
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
I love Derek Riordan he has been a great player for us. But if you try and tell me that his touch, shooting and application was better than Sunday League standerd yesterday then you have never put a pair of football boots on your feet!

He was shocking really bad! He put a shot from around the 6 yard box and put it out for a throw in! Thats garbage!

I have put a pair of football boots on my feet, just for the record, in fact i'll have them on tonight, sadly not in a playing capacity. His finishing yesterday was poor, a fact that he would most likely concede himself and something that everybody in the ground or watching on the TV would agree with.

His touch and application would grace ANY Sunday league team I think, but you are just being silly with comments like that arent you?

Aside from his poor finishing yesterday, the rest of his game was pretty good.

Again, I would ask you to have a look at the game again, if you have recorded it, playing special attention to DR's game.

Rasta_Hibs
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
I have put a pair of football boots on my feet, just for the record, in fact i'll have them on tonight, sadly not in a playing capacity. His finishing yesterday was poor, a fact that he would most likely concede himself and something that everybody in the ground or watching on the TV would agree with.

His touch and application would grace ANY Sunday league team I think, but you are just being silly with comments like that arent you?

Again, I would ask you to have a look at the game again, if you have recorded it, playing special attention to DR's game.

If you think his all round game was pretty good yesterday then im not sure what standerds you are expecting from Hibs players.

I play Sunday League and i am fitter and stronger than Derek Riordan. Says it all

Cropley10
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Deek is an enigma.

Yes he's improved his all round game, but he's not a natural centre forward, nor a natural midfielder.

His fantastic finishing seems to have deserted him recently.

BoltonHibee
04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
If you think his all round game was pretty good yesterday then im not sure what standerds you are expecting from Hibs players.

I play Sunday League and i am fitter and stronger than Derek Riordan. Says it all

I don't know you, or how fit and strong you are, but I'll take your word for it.

I presume you just slipped through the net and that is why you play in Sunday League football as opposed to say, the SPL?

Bad Martini
04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
I unfortuntely find myself agreeing with SOME of this thread.

Some of Deeks chances he'd have burried in days past.

I dont agree he suddenly offers nothing - that, frankly, is pish.

Furthermore, there are players who equally missed chances that were clear cut and skyed them/put them past etc etc.

Lest we forget the utter **** UP in our defence which ultimately lost us the 3 points and meant we got ONE ! Nope. Better to beat on one player than conceede that we should have won that.

By the way, I hate to admit this too; at the turn of the year, I'd have settled for being pissed off at NOT turning over the yams, given our position and predicament back then. We've moved forward slightly, I'll take that as "progress" and as of the boil has Deek has been (and I agree with some points on here as I say), his goals, are certainly why we are up where we are to an extent.

That said, he needs to give more. As do others.

For now, I'm happy we didnt totally **** it up and give those ****s 3 points.

ENDOF

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2011, 11:26 AM
I unfortuntely find myself agreeing with SOME of this thread.

Some of Deeks chances he'd have burried in days past.

I dont agree he suddenly offers nothing - that, frankly, is pish.

Furthermore, there are players who equally missed chances that were clear cut and skyed them/put them past etc etc.

Lest we forget the utter **** UP in our defence which ultimately lost us the 3 points and meant we got ONE ! Nope. Better to beat on one player than conceede that we should have won that.

By the way, I hate to admit this too; at the turn of the year, I'd have settled for being pissed off at NOT turning over the yams, given our position and predicament back then. We've moved forward slightly, I'll take that as "progress" and as of the boil has Deek has been (and I agree with some points on here as I say), his goals, are certainly why we are up where we are to an extent.

That said, he needs to give more. As do others.

For now, I'm happy we didnt totally **** it up and give those ****s 3 points.

ENDOF

:top marks Riordan usually scores the kind of chances he missed on Sunday. Thats what seperates him from the rest. If he was to miss these kind of chances every week, then i would worry for him.

I do think he will leave in the summer, and he will leave a legend for his goals and assists. CC looks as if he has an eye for a player, we have to trust he will bring someone in who might not score as many, but will contribute in other ways and still pop up with a good amount of goals as well.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 11:39 AM

:top marks
Derek is not the player he was but to suggest he is gone is nonsense.

Sodje yesterday what did he do? Derek got in postions to miss and worked hard.

Be VERY Careful what you wish for Nish and Sodje upfront anyone ? :rolleyes:

GreenPJ
04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
There have been debates for a long time now (ever since he returned back along the M8) as to what Derek brings to the team and the argument that has always been difficult to dispute is he scores goals and can create a piece of magic in a game that can be decisive.

He has not been doing that of late and sadly struggles to beat a player now.

He needs dropped and CC needs to consider what his ideal strikeforce will be post summer to see if there is space for him.

Argylehibby
04-04-2011, 11:42 AM
To be fair, a month without playing a competitive game has to have some effect on Deeks (and everyone else’s) sharpness and the ability to take the chances yesterday however the problem was the decision making, attempting to score when others were much better placed. DR wasn’t alone in that either of course but when others were guilty on one occasion each Deek was guilty on a number of occasions.

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm watching a re run of the game now, Just after they scored the 1st goal Sodje has just shot from 22 yards out when a 6 or 7 yard pass through to Deek would have had him 1 on 1. an awful decision from Sodje, his shot went for a throw. :grr:

Seveno
04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
DR's biggest contribution today was his ball through for the penalty. One perfect pass and the game was totally turned in Hibs favour.

I think his downfall started with Yogi, Yogi went on and on about the need for work-rate and had him tracking back from left midfield! Why waste the talent he has tracking back.

The Mowbray days I think worked well where ok in a much better team he had a free role up top and used to find much more dangerous positions and get shots away

And in the Mowbray days, he didnt get a game when we played at Ibrox or Parkhead - because of his poor workrate.

IWasThere2016
04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I would re-sign Derek - no question.

You don't know what you've got 'til its gone..

discman
04-04-2011, 12:02 PM

A parking lot , usually! :greengrin

Franck is God
04-04-2011, 12:08 PM

I would offer him a deal based on his position in the squad if he stays, in my opinion he will end up being third or fourth choice striker next season. He has missed a lot of chances in games this season, not the kind you would expect a top class forward to miss either.

Sodje is not the answer either but next year can provide support for a main man or a threat from the bench, Nish will leave (St Johnstone I've heard)

I will be very interested to see the attacking options CC moves for in the summer, January's job was to avoid relegation which he has done. Now its time to make us better.

Yogi and Mixu both relied on Riordan to be the cherry on top, can someone remind me how that worked out....

heretoday
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Riordan doesn't seem to be giving it 100% at the moment. Yet his late free kick showed what skill he has.

I don't know what his best position is. He's wasted out on the wing. He can't head the ball. He doesn't tackle.

Subs bench maybe?

Beefster
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM

You may well be right but we did manage to win a trophy the last time he was gone and we've managed to sign more prolific goalscorers than him in recent years so him leaving won't necessarily be the disaster some are suggesting.

Tyler Durden
04-04-2011, 12:47 PM
And in the Mowbray days, he didnt get a game when we played at Ibrox or Parkhead - because of his poor workrate.

Like many of the comments on this thread, that's absolute nonsense and patently not true.

Duffys13
04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Yesterdays man. Didn't test the Hearts back four at all.

He's not got much longer as an SPL regular. 2 maybe 3 seasons.

At this rate, I can see him playing first division football sooner rather than later

IWasThere2016
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
You may well be right but we did manage to win a trophy the last time he was gone and we've managed to sign more prolific goalscorers than him in recent years so him leaving won't necessarily be the disaster some are suggesting.

Aye - its the assists as well though :wink:

He's our most natural talent, and knows where the goal is. I think we'll miss him.

smurf
Some will not be happy until he's gone. And i fear that day is fast approaching...

A bad day at the office for Derek. Probably trying too hard.

Phil MaGlass
Mibbe he just needs that wee bit of sharpness,the long break didnt do him or us any good, he also needs to stop his whining.
I think and hope he will still be with us next season.

Removed
04-04-2011, 12:55 PM
At this rate, I can see him playing first division football sooner rather than later

In a lot of other countries that would be a step up :wink:

Albion Hibs
04-04-2011, 12:58 PM
A lot of criticism of someone who was unlucky with a few shots yesterday, yet still tested the hearts keeper more than any other player on the park.

Dont get me wrong I am as critical at times with Riordans performance, especially, this season. His contributions are generally going to be only his goals, he does not get involved / work hard enough on any other front, however I feel the criticism is a bit over the top, any other day and he may have bagged himself a couple in which case he would have been a hero - on that basis the line between someone who has a couple of seasons left/is on there way to the first division and a hero is pretty thin as far as this board is concerned.

BoltonHibee
04-04-2011, 01:00 PM

There is absolutely no chance of DR playing 1st Division football in Scotland next season.

Forza Fred
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Had any ONE of the chances he had went in - and a couple were saved/blocked, then we would be hailing him a hero.

He has scored goals that nobody else could have - and his reputation is based on this.

Sadly, he failed to find the net yesterday and if he does not score then his contribution is not viewed as great - although I personally thought he was much more workmanlike yesterday than in previous times I have seen him.

I guess the reality is now is that for the rest of the season he is playing just like a few others for a contract.

What was bleeding obvious in the second half yesterday was that we needed a striker with close control who could take players on from 18 yards and make space for himself.

Deek couldnt do that, and one has to ask if w'econtinue with him - or look to someone with other attributes'

?

JeMeSouviens
04-04-2011, 01:18 PM
[/B]

A parking lot , usually! :greengrin

(Big Yellow) Taxi for discman! :wink:

GreenPJ
04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
A lot of criticism of someone who was unlucky with a few shots yesterday, yet still tested the hearts keeper more than any other player on the park.
Dont get me wrong I am as critical at times with Riordans performance, especially, this season. His contributions are generally going to be only his goals, he does not get involved / work hard enough on any other front, however I feel the criticism is a bit over the top, any other day and he may have bagged himself a couple in which case he would have been a hero - on that basis the line between someone who has a couple of seasons left/is on there way to the first division and a hero is pretty thin as far as this board is concerned.

Which shots was he unlucky with?

darwenhibby
04-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Deeks missed the same chance in the New Year Derby last year when rounding the keeper. For it to hapen twice in a Derby is concerning for the so called ability.

Could you imagine Hernandez missing a chance like that if we are talking about natural talent.

easty
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Deeks missed the same chance in the New Year Derby last year when rounding the keeper. For it to hapen twice in a Derby is concerning for the so called ability.

Could you imagine Hernandez missing a chance like that if we are talking about natural talent.

What a strange comparrison. :confused:

Can you imagine Cherno Samba being jumped over by Andy Webster, as Ian Murray was?

darwenhibby
04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
What a strange comparrison. :confused:

Can you imagine Cherno Samba being jumped over by Andy Webster, as Ian Murray was?

Do you mean Samba At Blackburn? No natural talent there just work ethic.

Hernadez is a natural talent, that is why he is one of very few Man United players to be successful in their first season with the club.

People on here claim Deek to be a natural talent.

To me the second coming of one of Hibs favourite sons has not been as successful as we had hoped.

We have blamed too heavy, poor players so what is the excuse now.
Something is far wrong with DR I am afraid

joebakerforever
04-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Although Derek has never been the most industrious player on the park, he used to have pace and sharpness.

He now appears to be seriously unfit with lack of pace and poor first touch.

This was highlighted by how Hearts sub Jason Thomson, outpaced and outmuscled him in the second half.

This lack of fitness must impact on the rest of his game and probably accounts for his wayward shooting and poor decision making.

He should be given the opportunity to get himself fitter by giving him only a one year contract for for 2011/2012.

If he sorts himself out next season then no doubt he would be offered extended terms, if not then he has only himself to blame for not making the effort when he is handed his P45.

Albion Hibs
04-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Which shots was he unlucky with?

In no particular order;

- His free kick which was tipped round the post,
- The one where he was one on one in the first half with an outstreched leg
- The save by the keeper in the 2nd half which he pushed wide and he tried to shoot again.

You may not agree.

Golden Bear
04-04-2011, 03:07 PM
Although Derek has never been the most industrious player on the park, he used to have pace and sharpness.

He now appears to be seriously unfit with lack of pace and poor first touch.

This was highlighted by how Hearts sub Jason Thomson, outpaced and outmuscled him in the second half.

This lack of fitness must impact on the rest of his game and probably accounts for his wayward shooting and poor decision making.

He should be given the opportunity to get himself fitter by giving him only a one year contract for for 2011/2012.

If he sorts himself out next season then no doubt he would be offered extended terms, if not then he has only himself to blame for not making the effort when he is handed his P45.

I'm sure CC will be looking to what DR can bring to the Club IN THE FUTURE rather than living in the hope that he'll ever be as good as he was in the past.

Beefster
04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
He should be given the opportunity to get himself fitter by giving him only a one year contract for for 2011/2012

The problem is that we can't afford to be giving one of our highest-paid players a contract renewal to see if he can get fit or improve his performances. If we're going to pay someone top whack, we need to be fairly sure that they're going to be a top performer.

Matty_Jack04
04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I tried to take sometime to myself after the game before commenting on deeks, the time hasnt helped any!
Riordan was awful yesterday, no teamwork, no fight and his usual moaning faced self when he never got his way, i like riordan as a player he's been fantastic for hibs but i feel his times up.

I can only think that the reason for such a selfish and poor performance could be that he knows it his last derby and he was desperate to score?

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 03:33 PM
I would offer him a deal based on his position in the squad if he stays, in my opinion he will end up being third or fourth choice striker next season. He has missed a lot of chances in games this season, not the kind you would expect a top class forward to miss either.

Sodje is not the answer either but next year can provide support for a main man or a threat from the bench, Nish will leave (St Johnstone I've heard)

I will be very interested to see the attacking options CC moves for in the summer, January's job was to avoid relegation which he has done. Now its time to make us better.

Yogi and Mixu both relied on Riordan to be the cherry on top, can someone remind me how that worked out....

His current position in the squad is No1 striker by a Huge Margin.
He is miles better than Nish or Sodje and if you think we will be getting 3 or 4 strikers better than Riordan next year I will tell you now you will be VERY disappointed.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
The problem is that we can't afford to be giving one of our highest-paid players a contract renewal to see if he can get fit or improve his performances. If we're going to pay someone top whack, we need to be fairly sure that they're going to be a top performer.

Why do people think Deek would accept a 1 year deal ?
Do people seriously think he would not get a better offer in England?
The only card we hold is we are based in Edinburgh and he is a home bird.

Golden Bear
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Why do people think Deek would accept a 1 year deal ?
Do people seriously think he would not get a better offer in England?The only card we hold is we are based in Edinburgh and he is a home bird.

I seriously think DR and his Agent could be in a for a bit of a reality check at the end of the season.

craig1989
04-04-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm not 100% sure of the stats but think Hibs have maybe scored a touch over 30 goals this year, Riordan has 10 and I think about 5 assists? Still a decent contribution.

I think his form is very relative to the team, Hibs don't play with the same pace and intensity up top as they did in the past. I think he has always lacked pace and fitness but in the past benefited from those around him supplying him quicker and affording him more space and time.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I seriously think DR and his Agent could be in a for a bit of a reality check at the end of the season.

Yes they could be, however do you think he will get a better offer than a one year deal that some are suggesting should be the starting point for negotation with our current main striker.

If Hibs offer him a one year deal there will be no negotiation, he may not be the force he once was but to suggest he is gone at the game and we hold all the cards is way off the mark.

P.S. The whole of Scottish Football is in for a reallity check, just wait and see how many season tickets are sold this year if Hibs even bother to announce the number.

Golden Bear
04-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Yes they could be, however do you think he will get a better offer than a one year deal that some are suggesting should be the starting point for negotation with our current main striker.

If Hibs offer him a one year deal there will be no negotiation, he may not be the force he once was but to suggest he is gone at the game and we hold all the cards is way off the mark.

But that is the REALLY sad bit. He's only 28 and should be at the peak of his career but for whatever reason everything about his game is in decline and has been for a while.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 04:09 PM
I personally Love to see Deek in a Hibs shirt and he would never be out of my team. I know he is not the force of old but that is not only down to him he used to play alongside 15 million pounds worth of talent and that helped.

Hibs have No stars to play with Deek and the strikers he plays with lack pace, control and quality.

My hope would be we get two decent strikers and Deek knuckles down and realises he has a Fantastic chance to become a Legend and puts in the training to achieve that status.

I hope he goes on to score 150 goals for the cabbage.

IMHO If he goes he will be Major loss.

Franck is God
04-04-2011, 04:51 PM
His current position in the squad is No1 striker by a Huge Margin.
He is miles better than Nish or Sodje and if you think we will be getting 3 or 4 strikers better than Riordan next year I will tell you now you will be VERY disappointed.

If he was miles better than Nish or Sodje then we would have won yesterday and there are a lot of strikers that will be available in the summer that will be more effective and score more goals than Riordan.

Any time I have dared to suggest that there are players better than him out there I get his goals record thrown back at me well last week I read an article about a goal keeper in South America that has just scored his 100th league goal, Riordan has played as a forward in the SPL for almost ten years and hasn't reached that target yet, not the record of a superstar.

I think that a partnership of Adam Rooney and Vaz Te would be pretty good and I'd rather use Deeks wages to tempt Rooney and keep Vaz Te than continue to pay £5k a week for a guy that misses chances like he did yesterday.

ancient hibee
04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
I tried to take sometime to myself after the game before commenting on deeks, the time hasnt helped any!
Riordan was awful yesterday, no teamwork, no fight and his usual moaning faced self when he never got his way, i like riordan as a player he's been fantastic for hibs but i feel his times up.

I can only think that the reason for such a selfish and poor performance could be that he knows it his last derby and he was desperate to score?
So he didn't show any teamwork when he played Booth in for Dickoh to miss a sitter or when he was involved with Miller when Palsson was set up for an even worse miss?Is it any wonder after these two efforts that he overdid the shooting himself?

Barney McGrew
04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
He has scored goals that nobody else could have - and his reputation is based on this

Unfortunately he's been living off that reputation recently, because it's a long long time since he scored a goal like that :boo hoo:

vla_di_vla
04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
So he didn't show any teamwork when he played Booth in for Dickoh to miss a sitter or when he was involved with Miller when Palsson was set up for an even worse miss?Is it any wonder after these two efforts that he overdid the shooting himself?

One was a two yard pass that my mum could have executed and the other was almost cut out by their defence and was lucky to reach Miller. He was pants yesterday-forget how many goals he has scored in the past. How anyone can defend that performance and even try to blame his teammates is beyond me.

ancient hibee
04-04-2011, 05:41 PM
One was a two yard pass that my mum could have executed and the other was almost cut out by their defence and was lucky to reach Miller. He was pants yesterday-forget how many goals he has scored in the past. How anyone can defend that performance and even try to blame his teammates is beyond me.
Total tosh.You totally ignore the point that he was involved in the build up when two open goals were missed by other players.

Beefster
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Total tosh.You totally ignore the point that he was involved in the build up when two open goals were missed by other players.

They weren't open goals. By your logic, Sodje had a blinder because he won a penalty that we scored from.

vla_di_vla
04-04-2011, 05:47 PM

How's it tosh? For once he didn't ignore a good run by our full back and managed to find him with the pass. Whoopy do. The other he almost gave possession away when he had acres of space. If that was his best contributions of the day then it sums up how poor he was. He cost us the game with his poor decision making and selfish behaviour throughout.

ancient hibee
04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
They weren't open goals. By your logic, Sodje had a blinder because he won a penalty that we scored from.
Weren't open goals?A free header from 4 yards and an unchallenged shot from 12 yards-neither of which troubled the goalie.What do you consider them-difficult chances?

Duffys13
04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
There is absolutely no chance of DR playing 1st Division football in Scotland next season.

Didn't say next season, but don't see where he is going to go after us. Surely not the EPL and cannot see how he would work in the Champoinship. Another SPL team? On current form, I dunno who would want him either but I am sure someone would sign him. Mind you there is always Turkey

Jones28
04-04-2011, 06:18 PM
as poor as riordan was yesterday i doubt he's going to improve any. He's getting older and loosing pace. His touch is woeful too.

skipster7
04-04-2011, 06:44 PM
i read a good bit of this thread this morning and have since watched the full game back and think some of the stick hes getting is way OTT.
imo deek actually played well but made a couple of bad choices, the worst of which being not pulling back his rebounded shot to 3 players in the 6 yard box and also in the first 2 minutes when a cutback to scott would have been a goal.
the one where he turns and shoots when Vaz Te is there is what you would want your striker to do, not waiting to see what MIGHT happen.
he made plenty good runs into good positions and made himself avaliable for cutbacks etc all day.chased the ball down when he had to as well and on another day would have had 2 goals minimum to his name.
still far and away our best striker who had an off day in front of goal,at least he got himself into the great positions in the first place.were all raging that we blew a great chance to beat them but suggest watching the game back before making snap judgments.fwiw i also thought booth was excellent throughout and thornhill had a very good second half.:agree:

jdships
04-04-2011, 07:04 PM

I'm sure CC will be looking to what DR can bring to the Club IN THE FUTURE rather than living in the hope that he'll ever be as good as he was in the past.

Thanks for a common sense post on this thread :thumbsup:

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
i read a good bit of this thread this morning and have since watched the full game back and think some of the stick hes getting is way OTT.
imo deek actually played well but made a couple of bad choices, the worst of which being not pulling back his rebounded shot to 3 players in the 6 yard box and also in the first 2 minutes when a cutback to scott would have been a goal.
the one where he turns and shoots when Vaz Te is there is what you would want your striker to do, not waiting to see what MIGHT happen.
he made plenty good runs into good positions and made himself avaliable for cutbacks etc all day.chased the ball down when he had to as well and on another day would have had 2 goals minimum to his name.
still far and away our best striker who had an off day in front of goal,at least he got himself into the great positions in the first place.were all raging that we blew a great chance to beat them but suggest watching the game back before making snap judgments.fwiw i also thought booth was excellent throughout and thornhill had a very good second half.:agree:

9/10 :greengrin:greengrin Thought Thornhill was very average

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
If he was miles better than Nish or Sodje then we would have won yesterday and there are a lot of strikers that will be available in the summer that will be more effective and score more goals than Riordan.

Any time I have dared to suggest that there are players better than him out there I get his goals record thrown back at me well last week I read an article about a goal keeper in South America that has just scored his 100th league goal, Riordan has played as a forward in the SPL for almost ten years and hasn't reached that target yet, not the record of a superstar.

I think that a partnership of Adam Rooney and Vaz Te would be pretty good and I'd rather use Deeks wages to tempt Rooney and keep Vaz Te than continue to pay £5k a week for a guy that misses chances like he did yesterday.

If you dont think he is miles better than a journey man and an imposter then sorry you have lost any credability you seek.
If you think Vaz Te is better on what he has shown to date then dear oh dear.

Rooney may or may not be good the jury is out like a lot of (Nish) players he has had a good season. The goals dried up recently.

Just be careful what you wish for.

Duffys13
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM

The thing for me though is that I have been unhappy with Riordan for a lot longer than yesterday. He just seems a fraction of the player he used to be. He looks aukward on the ball and just doesn't seem move properly these days. He never had much pace but used to beat a player with a drop of his shoulder, have not seen any spark from him like this in years.

Sammy7nil
04-04-2011, 07:27 PM
The thing for me though is that I have been unhappy with Riordan for a lot longer than yesterday. He just seems a fraction of the player he used to be. He looks aukward on the ball and just doesn't seem move properly these days. He never had much pace but used to beat a player with a drop of his shoulder, have not seen any spark from him like this in years.

Just a tad of exaggeration perhaps :greengrin:wink:

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2011, 07:50 PM

I have to agree with this...I don't see a queue of Championship/Prem clubs forming at the end of the season...I think Deeks and his agent may well be in for a bit of a shock...

Alfred E Newman
04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Well said. Riordan wasn`t the only player who duffed shots yesterday and the criticism is way over the top as usual.

AndersonGGTTH
04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
well , if clubs are not lining up to take him then get him signed up! Derek was by his standards terible today which is hard to say as he is a fantastic player , all the doubters you wait his time for goals week in week out are not fat away , with now Vaz Te to support! Am really optimistic for the future!:cgwa

Franck is God
04-04-2011, 10:26 PM
If you dont think he is miles better than a journey man and an imposter then sorry you have lost any credability you seek.
If you think Vaz Te is better on what he has shown to date then dear oh dear.

Rooney may or may not be good the jury is out like a lot of (Nish) players he has had a good season. The goals dried up recently.

Just be careful what you wish for.

I only wish for a successful Hibs team and quite frankly don't care who's in it.

Wasn't seeking credibility for anything merely stating an opinion, Riordan hasn't come close to providing value for money since his return. I also wouldn't be opposed to him being offered a new deal just one more in line with his value to the squad.

CC was able to make some very positive changes in January during a transfer window that traditionally is not an easy one to do good business which makes me confident that when he is looking for more creative/attack minded players in the summer he is able to do so succesfully.

lucky
04-04-2011, 10:31 PM
DR was poor yesterday, he missed a handful of chances and his refusal to pass to team mates was to the determent of Hibernian football club. I would like him to stay but if he goes so what. No player is bigger than the team something he has to learn.

Liberal Hibby
04-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Has Riordan beaten Nish's goal tally for last season yet?

Hibercelona
04-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I love Derek Riordan.

But he should have been so much more.

JimBHibees
05-04-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm watching a re run of the game now, Just after they scored the 1st goal Sodje has just shot from 22 yards out when a 6 or 7 yard pass through to Deek would have had him 1 on 1. an awful decision from Sodje, his shot went for a throw. :grr:

Do you think Deek would have passed?

Saorsa
05-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Has Riordan beaten Nish's goal tally for last season yet?Why compare one players stats for last season with another's for this season, why not compare like for like? Is it because that would not suit you're argument?

Liberal Hibby
05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Why compare one players stats for last season with another's for this season, why not compare like for like? Is it because that would not suit you're argument?

No because surely a Hibs goal scoring legend - as the Riordan fans would suggest he is - would score more goals in a below average season than a striker who is not 'Hibs class' in an above average season?

Riordan has unfortunately p*ssed up (literally) his god-given talent. It's why he never made it at Celtc. It's why at 28 his pace has gone, it's why Hibs are reluctant to pay him top dollar for another season or two and it's why the posters who say that it won't be long before he's playing first division (or lower) football are correct.

Shame, but he's only got himself to blame - silly wee lad.

blackpoolhibs
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Do you think Deek would have passed?

Yes, he made a few good passes on Sunday, he also took the wrong option a few times too.

JimBHibees
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Yes, he made a few good passes on Sunday, he also took the wrong option a few times too.

In that instance the ball bouncing up nicely 25 yards from goal, no danger IMO though every chance his shot would have been better that Sodje's. :greengrin

Argylehibby
05-04-2011, 11:02 AM

yes he made a number of good passes on Sunday but absolutely none of them were when he had the slightest whiff of a chance regardless of whether that pass would have been easier to complete than the shot or whether the completion of the pass would have left the recipient with an easier chance than he had.

No argument that others did likewise but perhaps on one occasion each in contrast to Deeks 3 or 4.

Sammy7nil
05-04-2011, 12:04 PM
No because surely a Hibs goal scoring legend - as the Riordan fans would suggest he is - would score more goals in a below average season than a striker who is not 'Hibs class' in an above average season?

Riordan has unfortunately p*ssed up (literally) his god-given talent. It's why he never made it at Celtc. It's why at 28 his pace has gone, it's why Hibs are reluctant to pay him top dollar for another season or two and it's why the posters who say that it won't be long before he's playing first division (or lower) football are correct.Shame, but he's only got himself to blame - silly wee lad.

I would like a LARGE wager with anyone Deek does not play 1st Div football with anyone in the next 4 years in fact I am not sure he ever will. What is your definition of soon ? Mine is not 4 years

JeMeSouviens
05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Riordan has unfortunately p*ssed up (literally) his god-given talent. It's why he never made it at Celtc. It's why at 28 his pace has gone, it's why Hibs are reluctant to pay him top dollar for another season or two and it's why the posters who say that it won't be long before he's playing first division (or lower) football are correct.

Shame, but he's only got himself to blame - silly wee lad.

To some extent the above is true, but it's also the reason why we've got to enjoy several seasons and 100+ goals from him rather than the usual 20 odd and he's off quicker than you can say "large signing on fee".

Flawed geniuses are better no geniuses.

500miles
05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Well said. Riordan wasn`t the only player who duffed shots yesterday and the criticism is way over the top as usual.

But he is the one whose entire career is based on his prowess as a goalscrorer.

Baldy Foghorn
05-04-2011, 06:46 PM

I have read on here time and again, that his lack of work ethic, should be foregone because of his striking prowess of dead balls and the ability to score a goal out of nothing..... Not seen a great deal of that from him this season, which is why he is being heavily criticised..... He is definitely not above stick IMO

moggie
05-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Has Riordan beaten Nish's goal tally for last season yet?

I may be wrong but i think Nish had a better scoring record last season than Riordan when you take in game time/ matches started.