PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell vs St Johnstone Semi Final

SouthMoroccoStu
31-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Easter Road a possible venue?

Diclonius
31-03-2011, 06:19 AM
Aren't they always held at Hampden?

Doesn't even matter anyway, only one semi is broadcast and it sure ain't gonna be the one without Rantic in it.

Barney McGrew
31-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Aren't they always held at Hampden?

Doesn't even matter anyway, only one semi is broadcast and it sure ain't gonna be the one without Rantic in it.

The game is being shown on Sky, 16th April 12.30 kick off.

I'm fairly sure they always have the semis at Hampden, and with it being a Saturday you'd think those teams would get a crowd above 20k anyway.

dangermouse
31-03-2011, 10:07 AM

I'm fairly sure they always have the semis at Hampden, and with it being a Saturday you'd think those teams would get a crowd above 20k anyway.

But thinking of the fans, surely 20,000 at a packed Easter Road is better than them rattling around in a half empty soulless stadium? It would also look better on TV.

wazoo1875
31-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Dunno about that mate StJs have been allocated 5,800 tickets. Obviously they can have as many as they want but i could see this being the smallest crowd at a national semi at the midden. Makes no sense to play it at hampden at 1230, stupidity IMO.

jane_says
31-03-2011, 10:11 AM
But thinking of the fans, surely 20,000 at a packed Easter Road is better than them rattling around in a half empty soulless stadium? It would also look better on TV.

it sure would, but unfortunately the sfa makes the decision at the end of the day , and i can guarantee they wont move it from hampden. bit of a joke tbh. they made gretna play dundee there a couple years back.

wazoo1875
31-03-2011, 10:13 AM

I'm pretty sure it's down to the clubs, if they wanted to play it anywhere else they could agree between each themselves and it could be switched.
I'm certain this was the case for the replay with Dunfy a few years ago, remember all the moaning about it being at Hampden midweek. Turned out the clubs agreed to have it there if memory serves :greengrin

dangermouse
31-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm pretty sure it's down to the clubs, if they wanted to play it anywhere else they could agree between each themselves and it could be switched.
I'm certain this was the case for the replay with Dunfy a few years ago, remember all the moaning about it being at Hampden midweek. Turned out the clubs agreed to have it there if memory serves :greengrin

And look how that worked out for us in the past. All the nonsense coming from TM about not using Murrayfield for our semi against the Jambo's because he called into question if the ground was actually neutral since Hearts had played there in the past despite only one member of the then current Hearts squad having had the advantage of playing there. There may also have been the problem for the SFA that a non OF semi would have a bigger crowd than an OF semi but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it. :wink:

IWasThere2016
31-03-2011, 11:42 AM

20k - it'll be just over half that IMO.

iwasthere1972
31-03-2011, 12:47 PM
I liken it to the Dundee Utd v Raith Rovers semi final of last year. Attendance was just over 17,000 and it was played at 3pm on a Sunday. Don't forget that there was only 24,000 at the Celtic v Ross County semi.

Reckon 15,000-17,000 would be about right for Motherwell v St Johnstone.

Nameless
31-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Both games are on Sky.

Pretty Boy
31-03-2011, 01:18 PM
Dunno about that mate StJs have been allocated 5,800 tickets. Obviously they can have as many as they want but i could see this being the smallest crowd at a national semi at the midden. Makes no sense to play it at hampden at 1230, stupidity IMO.

It would take some doing to be lower than our crowd v Dunfermilne a few years back. Just over 5000 if i remember right.

Agree that Hampdump makes no sense though, get it to ER, fill 20 000 seats and get a cracking atmosphere. No way will the GFA agree to it though.

iwasthere1972
31-03-2011, 01:27 PM
It would take some doing to be lower than our crowd v Dunfermilne a few years back. Just over 5000 if i remember right.

Agree that Hampdump makes no sense though, get it to ER, fill 20 000 seats and get a cracking atmosphere. No way will the GFA agree to it though.

To be fair that was a midweek replay and there was 25,000+ at the first match.

wazoo1875
31-03-2011, 01:33 PM

I was going to put with the exception of midweek replays in my earlier post :greengrin

DH1875
31-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Should it be played at ER? YES. Will it be played at ER? NO. All SC semis take place at Hampden.

Keith_M
31-03-2011, 08:58 PM
The SFA are still paying off the cost of redeveloping Hampden and are keen to have every game played there to help do so. I think that puts paid to moving matches to other parts of the country, as happened previously.

To think that the SRU broached the subject of the SFA joining them at Murrayfield (before the West Stand was built) and the SFA said no. Right enough, they finished up with a MUCH better stadium....not.