PDA

View Full Version : Budgie "John" Burridge

lapsedhibee
30-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Sorry if it's already been posted, but Sunday's Independent had a full-page article on "John" and his upcoming autobiography.

Sample here:

His least favourite manager was no contest; largely through his own doing. In an era when goalkeepers received less protection than today, Burridge would employ specially sharpened studs to stand on the foot of anyone who came too close. Ossie Ardiles became an infuriated victim at Southampton, receiving a mouthful about the Falklands War at the same time, and never forgave him. Introduced as the new manager of Newcastle United in 1991, he ignored Burridge's outstretched hand and simply told the club secretary to pay up his contract.

RMG_82
31-03-2011, 01:55 AM
Sorry if it's already been posted, but Sunday's Independent had a full-page article on "John" and his upcoming autobiography.

Sample here:

His least favourite manager was no contest; largely through his own doing. In an era when goalkeepers received less protection than today, Burridge would employ specially sharpened studs to stand on the foot of anyone who came too close. Ossie Ardiles became an infuriated victim at Southampton, receiving a mouthful about the Falklands War at the same time, and never forgave him. Introduced as the new manager of Newcastle United in 1991, he ignored Burridge's outstretched hand and simply told the club secretary to pay up his contract.

Will be a great read! Loved the story going about that budgie used to get his wife to throw an orange at him randomly to help his reflexes. remember his lap of honours even when we got beat haha crazy man

Heckys Wheel
31-03-2011, 01:56 AM

Sample here:

"He became player-manager at non-league Blyth Spartans - only to later be convicted for dealing in counterfeit leisurewear. The prosecution case was significantly strengthened by the fact that there was video evidence of half the team wearing Burridge's sportswear before an FA Cup match."

http://www.emporiumbooks.com.au/book/budgie-the-autobiography-of-goalkeeping-legend-john-burridge.do

Mixu62
31-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Will be a great read! Loved the story going about that budgie used to get his wife to throw an orange at him randomly to help his reflexes. remember his lap of honours even when we got beat haha crazy man

Matched only by his pre-match warm-ups! :greengrin

soupy
31-03-2011, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=SubiacoHibs;2768363]"He became player-manager at non-league Blyth Spartans - only to later be convicted for dealing in counterfeit leisurewear. The prosecution case was significantly strengthened by the fact that there was video evidence of half the team wearing Burridge's sportswear before an FA Cup match."

I can remember he was selling his gear at the Cairn Hotel in Windsor St, selling me fakes Budgie eh. Very dodgy keeper.

Legend.

MB62
31-03-2011, 11:23 AM
The book is out on Monday, and written by a very good Hibby and friend of mine :thumbsup:

Haymaker
31-03-2011, 11:26 AM
His comments to Mark Hateley and Ally McCoist before the skol cup semi final were classic!

sambajustice
31-03-2011, 02:23 PM
The book is out on Monday, and written by a very good Hibby and friend of mine :thumbsup:

Aye, it would make a great birthday present for someone!!

Hibby70
31-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I wrote to the club asking to invite him to do the half time draw, or go in goals for the ten sec challenge. They are lookin into it.

hibee4life1983
31-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Budgie- a true legend.

tanfield
31-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Received the book a couple of days and looking forward to reading it. Already skimmed a part of his Hibs days and clear he and Mogadon didn't get on (might be an understatement though!)

IWasThere2016
31-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Budgie - 100% pure legend! :agree:

HibbingtonHibs
31-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Rose tinted specs on today? He was an embarrassment and a fekkin clown. Remember the goal against the ****bos that bounced off his shoulder?

Pretty much the start of the long line of calamity keepers. A total loser.

marinello59
31-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Rose tinted specs on today? He was an embarrassment and a fekkin clown. Remember the goal against the ****bos that bounced off his shoulder?

What's up? Life not treating you well? What a strangely spiteful post that is.

Hibby70
31-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Total loser??? Aye we have loads of players in the last 20 years that have winners medals right enough.

Removed
31-03-2011, 08:56 PM

Genuinely shocked by that post. Words fail me.

Peevemor
31-03-2011, 09:12 PM

Oh dear...

magpie1892
31-03-2011, 09:17 PM

Flange.

Bostonhibby
31-03-2011, 09:21 PM

I prefer to remember his immense performance against the Huns in the semi on his way to helping us win the cup, not to mention the positive efect on many fans and players during what many of us remember as a tough time for the club. We have had a few dodgy keepers but Budgie wasn't one of them. Not sure what the criteria for loser is, but I don't regard him as being one for us.

ScottB
31-03-2011, 10:21 PM
His comments to Mark Hateley and Ally McCoist before the skol cup semi final were classic!

Was that him screaming at them to come into the box so he could break their backs? Haha brilliant.

fatbloke
31-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Genuinely shocked by that post. Words fail me.

You are a bitter backward duf!

Removed
31-03-2011, 10:33 PM
You are a bitter backward duf!

Eh? :confused:

fatbloke
31-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Eh? :confused:

A fud.

Removed
31-03-2011, 10:35 PM
A fud.

I got that. Who are you calling a fud?

fatbloke
31-03-2011, 10:38 PM
I got that. Who are you calling a fud?

Oops see my mistake now. That Hibbington Hibs chap obviously a total erse.

Removed
31-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Oops see my mistake now. That Hibbington Hibs chap obviously a total erse.

Defo :agree:

Thought that's what you meant.

panshibby
31-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Bloody hell. (no pun intended, u on your period!!!!)

Saorsa
31-03-2011, 10:43 PM

Pretty much the start of the long line of calamity keepers. A total loser.:idiot:

MB62
01-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Aye, it would make a great birthday present for someone!!

I wonder if there's anybody's birthday coming along soon that might appreciate this book ? :wink: :greengrin

weststandhibby
01-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Got the book from Amazon on Monday and finished reading it last night. Great insight into a larger than life bloke. Some of the things he got up to are well worth reading about!
Comes across as a geniune guy who loved football but realised he had to make as much out of it as he could due to short career span of a footballer.
Genuine love of Hibs comes through as well :thumbsup:

Interesting to see who proof read the book first though - it says his date of birth is 1961 (should be 1951) !!:greengrin

go out and buy it!!

Part/Time Supporter
01-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Got the book from Amazon on Monday and finished reading it last night. Great insight into a larger than life bloke. Some of the things he got up to are well worth reading about!
Comes across as a geniune guy who loved football but realised he had to make as much out of it as he could due to short career span of a footballer.
Genuine love of Hibs comes through as well :thumbsup:

Interesting to see who proof read the book first though - it says his date of birth is 1961 (should be 1951) !!:greengrin

go out and buy it!!

I noticed another error like that as well. At one point it talks about how Blackpool are in the English top flight for the first time since Budgie played for them "nearly 30 years ago". Except it was 1970/71, ie nearly 40 years ago.

Obviously we've all heard the Hibs related stories (slagging off the Huns, having a pop at Lexo for being negative (!)), but the more interesting stuff for me was some of the other events and stories (ie Arthur Cox, Ossie Ardiles, the loan to Man City). I suppose fans of those teams will have heard those before as well, but it was somewhat interesting to have that as one story rather than the odd vignette.

Betty Boop
01-04-2011, 10:07 AM
What's up? Life not treating you well? What a strangely spiteful post that is.

April fool ? :greengrin

Biff Tannen
01-04-2011, 11:59 AM

You are a total PWICK

Can actually smell your horrific ganton acid BREF as i read that...:na na: or was it your wifes?:bye: