PDA

View Full Version : Which Hearts player did you grudgingly respect?

JimBHibees
29-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Probably someone like Donald Ford who seemed a decent sort and also a very good player.

Out of the recent players think Kello is an excellent keeper.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Probably someone like Donald Ford who seemed a decent sort and also a very good player.

For all the stuff written about Robbo to his credit he stood up against Mercer and attended the Rally at the Usher hall that took some balls.

1two
29-03-2011, 08:57 PM

They seem to be able to pick a decent keeper in recent years!
Kello, Gordon, Niemi!

Respect though? Nah! Certainly not Gordon anyway.

AndersonGGTTH
29-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Rudi Skacel.

AndersonGGTTH
29-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Just Kidding:na na:

i HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HIM!

Sergey
29-03-2011, 08:59 PM
WTF - is this some sort of love-in prior to a derby?

What next....Yams you'd allow to **** the Mrs?

Removed
29-03-2011, 08:59 PM
They seem to be able to pick a decent keeper in recent years!
Kello, Gordon, Niemi!

Respect though? Nah! Certainly not Gordon anyway.

:agree:

He'd get my respect if he could get rid of the plooks :greengrin

Removed
29-03-2011, 09:00 PM

Don't know about that but I'd let Sir Albert Kidd **** mine :thumbsup:

Westie1875
29-03-2011, 09:02 PM
None :flag:

--------
29-03-2011, 09:02 PM

There've been quite a few, Jim.

Donald Ford, I would agree - a fine centre-forward who might well have been capped more often for Scotland (he'd be a shoe-in today) if he hadn't been an amateur playing for Hearts.

Dave Mackay - superb wing-half and one of the hardest tacklers I've ever seen.

John Cummings - 'Iron Man'. The only man who tackled harder than Mackay.

Jim Cruikshank, too.

Jim Brown - played in the same team as Ford and Cruikshank, and after he left Hearts he came to us and won the Hibs fans over - totally honest, very courageous, never gave less than 100%.

All from the 60's, mind - but then relations between the fans were a wee bit easier than they are nowadays.

OstKurve Hibs
29-03-2011, 09:04 PM
dont respect anyone that wears that stinkin rag, players or fans, including some of my relatives!!!

Ritchie
29-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Never

.Sean.
29-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Baws.

They can all drown in a bathtub filled with my steamy, stinking hangover pish. **** 'em all.

Saorsa
29-03-2011, 09:33 PM
none

Frogga
29-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Steven Pressley.

Respected him standing up to Romanov and thought he was a great leader for them.

He also signed some young Hibs fans' autograph books and bantered with some Hibees in the West Stand before a Festival Cup game.

Minder
29-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Jumbo Jim. Any man that can walk through life looking so cheerful and carrying no bitterness,frustration or malice deserves respect.

Kevvy1875
29-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Jumbo Jim. Any man that can walk through life looking so cheerful and carrying no bitterness,frustration or malice deserves respect.
:rolleyes:

jakki
29-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I Hated Roy Barry with a capital H :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
29-03-2011, 09:48 PM
I'll get dogs abuse for this but Robbo.

I never remember him doing the GIRUY to the Hibs support on the many occasions he scored and he was well entitled to with the chants about his missus etc.

He was also one of the few associated with Hearts who spoke out against the attempted takeover by he who cannot be named.

The list of gutter dwellers who played for the gorgiegoyles is a bit longer though :greengrin Kenny Black, Bruno, Hartley, Berry, Skacel to name a few :sick:

moredun
29-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Gordon Smith

Although never seen him play and not grudgingly:greengrin

Alan Gordon:greengrin

although not grudgingly:greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Cruikshank at a push..that's it really...maybe Dave Mackay

I feel sick now....:jamboak:

lapsedhibee
29-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Only Cruickshank (see left). And that wasn't grudging at all. He was great. And didn't wear a maroon top, which might have been a factor.

RickyS
29-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Baws.

They can all drown in a bathtub filled with my steamy, stinking hangover pish. **** 'em all.
:top marks

The_Sauz
29-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Steve (booked for being ugly) Fulton :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
29-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Mark (booked for being ugly) Fulton :greengrin

To the best of my knowledge only one player has ever been booked for being ugly, and it wasn't Mark Fulton...

Removed
29-03-2011, 11:08 PM
Mark (booked for being ugly) Fulton :greengrin

Mark Fulton wasn't ugly :wink:

Dashing Bob S
29-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Gary MacKay. :fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::f ibber::fibber::fibber::fibber:

The_Sauz
29-03-2011, 11:12 PM
To the best of my knowledge only one player has ever been booked for being ugly, and it wasn't Mark Fulton...
fixed :wink:

SteveHFC
29-03-2011, 11:16 PM
None

nonshinyfinish
29-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Gary MacKay. :fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::fibber::f ibber::fibber::fibber::fibber:

Christ Bob, you epitomise the bitter Hobo - any man with the glittering medal collection that Gary MacKay can boast surely deserves the respect of every football fan.

Diclonius
29-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Signed Ruben Palazuelos on a free transfer for Motherwell, and then bought him when I moved to Hibs for £1M, where he became captain of my star packed team.

The real Ruben though? Bollocks to him.

LeithBoozy
29-03-2011, 11:47 PM
The jambo with the famous scottish name was a very good player William Wallace.

lapsedhibee
30-03-2011, 06:49 AM
The jambo with the famous scottish name was a very good player William Wallace.

Aye, he brought them back from 2-0 down and buried on the wettest day ever at ER, to win 3-2. Some happier footage of him here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-93_7Gz5FTQ). :wink:

Septimus
30-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Bauld, Cummings, Dougan were good players. They also had the dirtiest player I ever saw. Parker.

Hiber-nation
30-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Jim Cruickshank and not grudgingly.

Donald Ford I suppose.

That's it.

KWJ
30-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Gordon Smith.

Hibercelona
30-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Well I have respect for............. ah you know what? to hell with it!...... I proudly loathe each and every one of them. I've never met a decent Jambo (player or fan) in my life and thats the truth. I hope we get stuck in and do them badly at the weekend, I really do.

Phil D. Rolls
30-03-2011, 07:49 AM
I always admired Levein as a player, and Pressley seemed a decent guy. Of course there are those who had Hibs sympathies such as Robbo and Jimmy Sandison.

I always respected Sandison for telling their goalie, Henry (forget his surname), to stop winding us up in the infamous derby that followed the FTB takeover. Mind you, it shows you how stupid that goalie was.

KWJ
30-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Jimmy Sandison like the Hibs? I'll never forget him losing the harshest of all penalties when playing for Airdrie in the other semi final. Chested it outside the box and ref gave pen to send game to extra time. ho ho ho.

Greentinted
30-03-2011, 08:55 AM
The Riccarton Three.
The only men who had the baws to actually stand up when the rest bent over (the way the obsequious big-teamers do on a daily basis)

John Robertson for the way he conducted himself in 1990, and however much his media cronies try to goad him, he refuses to be gratuitously pejorative where we are concerned
and of course

big Christian for hoovering up a king-sized wage for no return whatsoever.:greengrin

jdships
30-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Jimmy Wardhaugh who never got the recognition he deserved as a player or as a person
Great player and a gentleman

CapitalHibs
30-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Jimmy Wardhaugh who never got the recognition he deserved as a player or as a person

Jimmy lived just down the road from me. Always gave me a nod and a wave when we passed on the street. Knew I was a hibbie, but took my autograph book to get all the jambos to sign it.

Always admired Alan Gordon and the way he headed the ball. Was a dream come true when he finally signed for us.:thumbsup:

Diclonius
30-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Jim Cruickshank and not grudgingly.

Donald Ford I suppose.

That's it.

Didn't he have a terrible record against us? :greengrin

allezsauzee
30-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Brian Hamilton...but only after he signed for Hearts

Edinburgh Green
30-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Nade, you have to respect someone who, without having a grain of footballing talent, managed to secure himself a lucrative contract and play most weeks ensuring that they were a man down! Nade....what a hero!

Stevie Reid
30-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Colin Cameron was one of the most consistent performers I have seen in the SPL, he was excellent practically every time I saw him (unfortunately).

He was out for months the season (when we were in the First) Hearts ended up bottom of the league and in real relegation trouble for a while - when he came back, he saved them practically single handedly.

Cabbage East
30-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Justin Fashanu.

franks
30-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Donald Ford, John Robertson.

snooky
30-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Didn't he have a terrible record against us? :greengrin

I think Kenny Garland was in goals THAT day.

Re. respected Jambs
Cruikshanks, Robbo, D. McKay & Mikey (aye, him)

HibeeSince85
30-03-2011, 04:30 PM
The week leading upto a Derby i don't even want to see one never mind respect. Unfortunately not seeing them doesn't do anything about the smell though.

Not long now guys, get intae them Hibs.

GGTTH!!!!

Hakim Sar
30-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Hans Eskillson

clerriehibs
30-03-2011, 06:13 PM
ralph callachan

jabis
30-03-2011, 06:31 PM
george cowie and malcolm murray...........but only cos i went to buckie high school with them :greengrin

Killiehibbie
30-03-2011, 07:00 PM
One or two that I remember playing for us as for the rest of them:jamboak:

essexhibee
30-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Benuisses.
Nade.

Franck Stanton
30-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Baws.

Correct, mair power tae yer elby mate. As for the posters on here listing Donald Ford, well, I sort of liked him playing for them - mainly because alough he played for them for 10 years he NEVER managed to score against us, not EVER, zilch, nadda, none , zero, nane, less than one, big fat O. With a scoring record like that he probably would fit in wi' the current Scotland team, especially wi' Harry Potter picking it.

--------
31-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I think Kenny Garland was in goals THAT day.

Re. respected Jambs
Cruikshanks, Robbo, D. McKay & Mikey (aye, him)

Yes, he was.

Jim was an very solid keeper and had some very good games against us.

I should have mentioned Jimmy Wardhaugh as well. Sportsman and gentleman.

Those who crossed over surely go without saying - Ralph Callachan, Jim Brown, Alan Gordon. Gordon Smith played for them, but that was our own fault - we should never have released him the way we did.

I could also mention Eddie Thomson - a big hard centre-back, didn't like him when he played for them, but he emigrated to Oz and has done a huge amount of very good work for Ozzie football.

Speedway
31-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Malofeev but not grudgingly...absolutely loved the guy's interview technique.

CapitalHibs
31-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Scott Crabbie's:na na:

ancient hibee
31-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Mackay and Cumming made them the great team that they were in the 1950s.

alexedwards
31-03-2011, 03:59 PM
big Christian for hoovering up a king-sized wage for no return whatsoever.:greengrin[/QUOTE]

bar a goal against us in the Scottish Cup defeat at home.

Baker9
31-03-2011, 04:16 PM
There've been quite a few, Jim.

Donald Ford, I would agree - a fine centre-forward who might well have been capped more often for Scotland (he'd be a shoe-in today) if he hadn't been an amateur playing for Hearts.

Dave Mackay - superb wing-half and one of the hardest tacklers I've ever seen.
John Cummings - 'Iron Man'. The only man who tackled harder than Mackay.

Jim Cruikshank, too.

Jim Brown - played in the same team as Ford and Cruikshank, and after he left Hearts he came to us and won the Hibs fans over - totally honest, very courageous, never gave less than 100%.

All from the 60's, mind - but then relations between the fans were a wee bit easier than they are nowadays.

Good shouts all round but Mackay is the man. Superb career as well. Respect to them all without any question of 'grudgingly'. I haven't quite got caught up in the 'hate the Hearts' stuff but I've let myself get drawn towards it and I feel less of a man for having done so.

Black Kyle
31-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Bobby Prentice
Donald Ford
Robbo
Levein ( we didn't offer enough dosh and he signed from THEM)

gackohibs
31-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Ive spoke to Gary Wales a few times and TBH, hes actually a decent guy to talk to.
His career has stalled since being in Australia and is now with Raith Rovers.

JimBHibees
31-03-2011, 05:40 PM
I haven't quite got caught up in the 'hate the Hearts' stuff but I've let myself get drawn towards it and I feel less of a man for having done so.

Tend to agree it is just a football match though a very important match. Think it is an age thing and if you are of an age of remembering going to Derby games with some Hearts and Hibs mates and standing on the terracing together I think you tend to see the game in a kind of perspective IMO.

ancient hibee
31-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Tend to agree it is just a football match though a very important match. Think it is an age thing and if you are of an age of remembering going to Derby games with some Hearts and Hibs mates and standing on the terracing together I think you tend to see the game in a kind of perspective IMO.
Or go back to the days of many going week about to ER and Tynie-one of the reasons that the crowds were so big-both clubs benefitted.Didn't mean that you changed your allegiance.

Sumner
31-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Hans Eskilsson

CropleyWasGod
31-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Hans Eskilsson

.. you mean for the way that he epitomised all that was wrong about Hearts' spending spree at the time, and was the catalyst for the financial slippery slope that they now find themselves on?

Yeah, I'll go along with that :agree:

Rory89
31-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Tin hat on here, I don't mind Rudi Skacel at all. Yes he's a big wind up merchant who never misses a chance to take the piss, but is he any different in that sense to Derek Riordan? Skacel obviously has a fondness for Hearts and his behaviour is no different to me if I was playing for Hibs, any opportunity and I'd be on the wind-up and all.

Football fans complain that there is no characters in the game yet they get in a rage at someone having the audacity to do the loser sign after getting coined.

Baker9
01-04-2011, 07:00 AM

Hate grows in part from not seeing things from the other side's perspective and that happens because you don't speak to them / mix with them. The more that hate is preached within your own community, the more you are likely to hate.

Keeping hate off the agenda on this board would be a good start (unless it is mentioned in the concept of keeping hate off this board):greengrin

marinello59
01-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Possibly. I always thought the hate stuff was for the wee Derby in Glasgow but that seems to have changed in recent years. During the actual match I will get caught up in all the pantomime silliness of it all but hate? Not worth hating anybody over a game.

Stevie Reid
01-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Bobby Prentice
Levein

Had more respect for Levein than any other Hearts manager by a mile, liked the way he went about his business, how he dealt with his players and what he had to say in the press. That was until he had that pathetic outburst against Mowbray immediately before p!ssing off down South - any respect immediately disappeared after that.

Good manager but an @rsehole.

JimBHibees
01-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Possibly. I always thought the hate stuff was for the wee Derby in Glasgow but that seems to have changed in recent years. During the actual match I will get caught up in all the pantomime silliness of it all but hate? Not worth hating anybody over a game.

Couldnt agree more.

grantonhibee
01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
none there all ****

Greentinted
01-04-2011, 09:35 AM

What he said...:agree:

hibs0666
01-04-2011, 10:57 AM

None.

dangermouse
01-04-2011, 12:46 PM

:faf::faf::faf:

Greentinted
01-04-2011, 03:27 PM
big Christian for hoovering up a king-sized wage for no return whatsoever.:greengrin

bar a goal against us in the Scottish Cup defeat at home.[/QUOTE]

Granted, but it could have been a helluva lot worse - NADE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkVyLPxFl30&NR=1)

erin go bragh
01-04-2011, 07:49 PM
dont respect anyone that wears that stinkin rag, players or fans, including some of my relatives!!!
:greengrin thats the spirit my friend :greengrin :top marks
ggtth

snooky
02-04-2011, 08:39 AM

I've always felt that the segregation of fans has created a more "Them & Us" feel at games. Maybe it had to happen given the downturn in overall respect for society in general.

heretoday
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM

Hear! Hear! He was on the old Express for a while - when it was a newspaper.

--------
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Me too. I'll be on edge all through the game, ecstatic if we win, disgusted if we lose, happy enough with a draw.

I don't like the things the present owners represent, and I abhor the attitudes of some of the present Hearts supporters (those of some of the present Hibs supporters, too, actually), but hate them? Over a game? No.

Another old lad who played for them and IMO deserves respect - Jack Harkness, the goalie. Played 9 seasons for Hearts and was the goalkeeper in the Wembley Wizards team of 1928. Wrote for "The Sunday Post" and other newspapers after he retired.

Greentinted
02-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't like the things the present owners represent, and I abhor the attitudes of some of the present Hearts supporters (those of some of the present Hibs supporters, too, actually), but hate them? Over a game? No. :agree:

Exactly the same

Another old lad who played for them and IMO deserves respect - Jack Harkness, the goalie. Played 9 seasons for Hearts and was the goalkeeper in the Wembley Wizards team of 1928. Wrote for "The Sunday Post" and other newspapers after he retired.

And re the Harkness comment, I was listening to the Real Radio Old-Firm Love-In (I know I know), and they had an Edinburgh Derby quiz/competition thing going on where the questions had multiple options. One of these options was Barney Battles and all three contributors were sneering, taking the piss and generally deriding a guy just because of his name. From the information I've gleaned from a few right older guys and the histories of both clubs, these simpletons - Derek Johnstone in particular - couldn't lace the man's boots. Really classless IMO.

Levenhibee
02-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Ralph Callaghan

--------
02-04-2011, 01:31 PM
And re the Harkness comment, I was listening to the Real Radio Old-Firm Love-In (I know I know), and they had an Edinburgh Derby quiz/competition thing going on where the questions had multiple options. One of these options was Barney Battles and all three contributors were sneering, taking the piss and generally deriding a guy just because of his name. From the information I've gleaned from a few right older guys and the histories of both clubs, these simpletons - Derek Johnstone in particular - couldn't lace the man's boots. Really classless IMO.

He certainly hurt us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barney_Battles,_Jr.

133 in 148 League games for Hearts and a lot of goals in cup competitions (mostly it appears against Hibs).

Suppose we should 'hate' him? :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
03-04-2011, 07:15 AM

Very ignorant and as you say no doubt 10 times the player fat Johnstone ever was. Always thought Barney Battles was a great name in an old style comic book hero sort of way.