PDA

View Full Version : Neymar Claims Scottish fans are racist

Sodje_18
27-03-2011, 07:57 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/wires/03/27/2080.ap.soc.brazil.neymar.2nd.ld.writethru.0476/

A banana was thrown at him from an area that was mostly brazil fans and he was getting boo'd when he was about to take the penalty? :confused: Do fans in Brazil stay completely quiet during a penalty, get a grip son. :rolleyes:

Sylar
27-03-2011, 07:59 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/wires/03/27/2080.ap.soc.brazil.neymar.2nd.ld.writethru.0476/

A banana was thrown at him from an area that was mostly brazil fans and he was getting boo'd when he was about to take the penalty? :confused: Do fans in Brazil stay completely quiet during a penalty, get a grip son. :rolleyes:

I thought I was seeing things when I saw that banana, primarily because it was in front of the Brazil fans.

Anyway, he deserved to be booed for that haircut alone :agree:

sixtwo
27-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Sad if true.

Probably a jambo.

They have previous. Remember mark walters first game at tynecastle?

Sodje_18
27-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I thought I was seeing things when I saw that banana, primarily because it was in front of the Brazil fans.

I thought he looked like an exotic bird :agree:

The Green Goblin
27-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Neymar is a good player, but he`s also a wee dick.

GG

snooky
27-03-2011, 08:15 PM

:agree: Say Naymair

mim
27-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Nobody should be surprised that Scotland still has racists amongst its football support. There are plenty of them in our society.

Probably not as many racists as religious bigots, tho.

monktonharp
27-03-2011, 09:54 PM
is this the young guy that "earned brasil a penalty" ? looked a bit dodgy tae me btw.:wink:

monktonharp
27-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Nobody should be surprised that Scotland still has racists amongst its football support. There are plenty of them in our society.

Probably not as many racists as religious bigots, tho. there are a lot of racists in our wee country,whether it's in the football community or not. It disgusts me to hear Oh edinbrugh,is wonderful except for Pak....................etc etc,but you just need to walk along our streets to hear virtually the same stuff on any given day, which makes me cringe. there are morons amongst us,be aware.

Sodje_18
27-03-2011, 10:11 PM
is this the young guy that "earned brasil a penalty" ? looked a bit dodgy tae me btw.:wink:

That was him, he also faked an injury early on in an effort to get sympathy from the referee, hence the booing throughout the game :wink:

essexhibee
27-03-2011, 10:35 PM
He was booed at the penalty for his continual play acting throughout the match. There were all sorts of inflatables at the match...a champagne bottle a lilo and a huge amount of beach balls etc....

If this banana was thrown by a Scots fan in the first place I'm sure it was just another style of inflatable that someone didn't think about when coming into the ground. The majority of that end looked Brazilian though? Not a racist thing at all i would think and hope.

CropleyWasGod
27-03-2011, 10:38 PM
If it was thrown by a Scot, it was a helluva throw. Get the boy in the discus team for the Olympics next year.

Neymar is trying to get a club in Europe. He's a cracking player, but he'll have to cut the crap out of his game..

MWHIBBIES
27-03-2011, 10:44 PM
The guy is like the balotelli of brazil.

James70
27-03-2011, 10:45 PM
So what was the size of the crowd, fifty odd thousand, and one banana was thrown and probably not by a Scotland fan either. A lot of fuss about nothing, maybe he should just concentrate on getting headlines about his football ability rather than trying to stir up controversy.

Sodje_18
27-03-2011, 10:48 PM
The guy is like the balotelli of brazil.

Stole the words right out of my mouth :agree: The pair of them need to grow up and act like professionals

Bostonhibby
27-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Was at the game and if he means that in Brazil (assuming he has been there) booing guys with dodgy hair cuts who are Sheight at diving is racist then he is right we are.

Best part for me was when he was rolling about holding his knee in the penalty area and the ref actually picked him up, he ran about normally straight away. Looks like a poor mans Balotelli to me but he has a bit more time to work on his obnxiousness but has cracked the chav haircut.

Bostonhibby
27-03-2011, 10:54 PM
That was him, he also faked an injury early on in an effort to get sympathy from the referee, hence the booing throughout the game :wink:

:agree:

Wotherspiniesta
27-03-2011, 10:59 PM
You're all giving the laddie a bit of a hard time are you not? :confused:

If he thought he was getting racially abused, surely he's got the right to speak up for himself? A lot of you probably knew absolutely nothing about him until he tore Scotland apart today so comparing him to Balotelli who is a bonafide bellend is a bit judgemental!

Bostonhibby
27-03-2011, 11:05 PM
You're all giving the laddie a bit of a hard time are you not? :confused:

If he thought he was getting racially abused, surely he's got the right to speak up for himself? A lot of you probably knew absolutely nothing about him until he tore Scotland apart today so comparing him to Balotelli who is a bonafide bellend is a bit judgemental!

to be honest, after his absurd dive early on where the ref helped him up, he got the same stick most pro's who try to cheat and fail get, but he was such a prima donna he chucked the race card in as a distraction. It wasn't that type of occasion and the stick he got was nothing more than that any cheat gets. Christ, its not as if he was English.

Bostonhibby
27-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Stole the words right out of my mouth :agree: The pair of them need to grow up and act like professionals

:greengrin Could they fill the El Haj Djiouff role?

Sodje_18
27-03-2011, 11:35 PM
:greengrin Could they fill the El Haj Djiouff role?

Maybe Diouf was their mentor :devil:

The Green Goblin
27-03-2011, 11:55 PM
He is a prima dona...and no mistake. They see him as the next Pele here...there were demonstrations when he wasn`t included in the last world cup squad. But...he is showing all the familiar traits of someone whose hype has gone to his head. Great talent - total w*****.

The play-acting is an integral part of the game here too - domestic footy is dreadful here. It`s a series of free kicks interrupted by the game and those free kicks are given for absolutely nothing, and worse, are expected to be given by the players, the fans and even the hacks. So when refs overseas just laugh at Brazilian players who do it in club/friendly internationals, they think there`s a conspiracy against them.

My Brazilian friends here don`t understand it when I fill my pants laughing in derision at half the free kicks that are given during games here.

GG

Hibercelona
28-03-2011, 01:26 AM
Any group of people containing Rangers fans are going to be racist. :agree:

Septimus
28-03-2011, 06:38 AM
I struggle with a natural tendency towards racism daily but only with reference to the English.

marinello59
28-03-2011, 06:58 AM
I struggle with a natural tendency towards racism daily but only with reference to the English.

You won't be alone with that then will you?

H18sry
28-03-2011, 08:06 AM

What a stupid statement :confused:

CropleyWasGod
28-03-2011, 09:21 AM

I suppose that makes me racist. Thanks for pointing that out.

Fisherrow_Hibs
28-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Posted Yesterday, 21:27
http://twitter.com/ST_Sport (Sunday Times journo)

Bananagate at Emirates - I saw the offending fruit thrown (was standing 30 yards away) by a Brazilian fan celebrating Neymar pen :agree:

saw this on you tube...i know its hard tae see but if its right then it looks like a brazilian with a yellow top on threw the banana to me.

if you put it on full screen you can make it out !

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=fgQzfw1axpg

bingo70
28-03-2011, 09:27 AM
you cannae take Gary Mackay anywhere can you :bitchy:

StevieC
28-03-2011, 09:51 AM
If by racist he means being able to spot a dodgy haircut a mile away, then yes he is spot on.

Not since Dave McPherson have I seen such a ridiculous barnet ..

.. although Valderrama came close.

Gatecrasher
28-03-2011, 11:53 AM
i thought his hair looked like Vaz Te's :greengrin

--------
28-03-2011, 12:06 PM
There are racists in the Tartan Army, just as there are among the Hibs support.

There would be racists among the Scottish support at the Emirates yesterday. And drunks. And religious bigots.

This is just a fact of life.

But that doesn't mean that THIS banana was thrown with racist intent - apparently it came from among the Brazilian fans?

Whether the guy's a cheat or not is irrelevant if someone objects to him because of his colour - Benji and Zouma used to go down very easily when they played for us, and to say they were cheating (they were at times) would be accurate.

But to say that all Moroccans are cheats, or that all North Africans are cheats, or that all players with brown skins are cheats, is racist.

Neymar's a very gifted player, but he goes down very easily, and looks for an advantage therefrom. He was cheating yesterday, definitely.

Just as well - if he'd had his mind on the game, he might have scored another 3 or 4....

superfurryhibby
28-03-2011, 12:29 PM
there are a lot of racists in our wee country,whether it's in the football community or not. It disgusts me to hear Oh edinbrugh,is wonderful except for Pak....................etc etc,but you just need to walk along our streets to hear virtually the same stuff on any given day, which makes me cringe. there are morons amongst us,be aware.

Nae offence but I have lived ijn Edinburgh all my life and wonder which streets you refer to? Aye, there is racism in our society, just like there is homophobia, sectarianism and many other forms of discrimination. However, I am not hearing anything like this in the course of my daily business.

On the whole I feel we are quite a tolerant society and there are less racial tensions here than in many placers where the ingrediants are similar.
It's too easy to focus on the negatives, I don't see a racist powderkeg waiting to go off in this country.

AS for Neymar, wee fud, dodgy haircut but looks like he could develop into some player.

ballengeich
28-03-2011, 12:43 PM
The other black players in the Brazilian side weren't getting the abuse directed against Neymar. That shows me that it was a dislike of his individual behaviour, not his skin colour, which was the reason for him being singled out.

Believing that any criticism of himself is a result of prejudice will hinder Neymar maturing into the world star he has the potential to be.

hibsbollah
28-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Was there a banana thrown on the pitch? Yes.
Is that banana likely to have been thrown by a Brasilian fan? No.
Was the segregation non-existant, so the claim that it came from a 'pre-dominantly' brasilian section of the crowd totally irrelevant ? Yes.

The player was booed because it looked like he was feigning injury. But chucking a banana at him does not look good at all on front of a global audience, and there IS a case to answer.

CropleyWasGod
28-03-2011, 01:10 PM
, and there IS a case to answer.

There may be a case to answer if it was thrown by a Scot. I find that very unlikely, given that from where I was sitting it was sea of yellow.

However, the point is that the case would have to be answered by THAT Scot, not by all of the support. To condemn an entire support on the grounds of the actions of one is, in itself, racist.

hibsbollah
28-03-2011, 01:37 PM
To condemn an entire support on the grounds of the actions of one is, in itself, racist.

I'd disagree with that, fans of one country can be generalised as behaving in a certain way without that being 'racist'; ukrainian fans show different collective behaviour to south african fans, for example...(although the definition of what is and isnt 'racist' is fairly dull work.) But the self-righteous 'whae's like us' pap ive read in the papers today doesnt do us any favours. The tartan army are not angels, contrary to popular belief.

Where do you think the banana came from? Is it commonplace to chuck bananas at your own players in brasil?

iwasthere1972
28-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Was the segregation non-existant, so the claim that it came from a 'pre-dominantly' brasilian section of the crowd totally irrelevant ? Yes.

The player was booed because it looked like he was feigning injury. But chucking a banana at him does not look good at all on front of a global audience, and there IS a case to answer.

What audience is this because I didn't see anything. I do however agree that there is a case to answer to if there is any evidence that a Scot threw the banana.

basehibby
28-03-2011, 01:40 PM
However abundant his talent may be, Neymar and his pal are showing themselves to be a couple of ignorant and immature wee fuds by playing the racist card in response to what anyone familiar with Scottish fans and their sensibilities will tell you is a reaction to Neymar's gamesmanship - something which, regardless of how accepted it has become in wider circles, has always been seen by Scottish football crowds as a gift of an excuse for getting on a talented player's case.

The banana incident is a different matter and IF it was thrown by a Scottish fan as some kind of racist taunt then I hope the culprit is named, shamed and banned from football grounds as appropriate.

But from what I can see, that was an isolated incident amongst what seemed a tremendous samba and bagpipe party for all - regardless of colour, creed or allegiance. That being the case, I think young Neymar should climb down from his ill-considered soap box and offer the Scots fans an apology for what is an insult to the scottish people based upon his own naive and paranoid misconceptions.

CropleyWasGod
28-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I'd disagree with that, fans of one country can be generalised as behaving in a certain way without that being 'racist'; ukrainian fans show different collective behaviour to south african fans, for example...(although the definition of what is and isnt 'racist' is fairly dull work.) But the self-righteous 'whae's like us' pap ive read in the papers today doesnt do us any favours. The tartan army are not angels, contrary to popular belief.

Where do you think the banana came from? Is it commonplace to chuck bananas at your own players in brasil?

From where I sat, as I say, it could only have come from that part of the ground that was almost to a man (and very shapely woman) dressed in yellow.

Put it this way, if it were a Scot, it came from one who didn't buy their ticket from the SFA. Not that that is an excuse, of course, but even less reason for an entire support to be condemned on the basis of one twat part-timer.

Jim44
28-03-2011, 01:54 PM
If this guy is looking for a European club, he better thicken his skin in terms of racial abuse because some of the countries in Europe, e.g. Spain, are far worse that the UK.

lapsedhibee
28-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Where do you think the banana came from?
Tree?

Is it commonplace to chuck bananas at your own players in brasil?
Is it commonplace to chuck pies at players in the SPL? No.
Did it once happen in an Edinburgh derby? Yes.
Is there necessarily any deep moral significance to be attached to a single event like that? No.

iwasthere1972
28-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Sky Sports News understands that a witness has now come forward and has provided the Metropolitan police with a description.

It was nine inches long, curved in shape, yellow and had a Fyffes label attached.

Sodje_18
28-03-2011, 03:01 PM
However abundant his talent may be, Neymar and his pal are showing themselves to be a couple of ignorant and immature wee fuds by playing the racist card in response to what anyone familiar with Scottish fans and their sensibilities will tell you is a reaction to Neymar's gamesmanship - something which, regardless of how accepted it has become in wider circles, has always been seen by Scottish football crowds as a gift of an excuse for getting on a talented player's case.

The banana incident is a different matter and IF it was thrown by a Scottish fan as some kind of racist taunt then I hope the culprit is named, shamed and banned from football grounds as appropriate.

But from what I can see, that was an isolated incident amongst what seemed a tremendous samba and bagpipe party for all - regardless of colour, creed or allegiance. That being the case, I think young Neymar should climb down from his ill-considered soap box and offer the Scots fans an apology for what is an insult to the scottish people based upon his own naive and paranoid misconceptions.

:agree::top marks

marinello59
28-03-2011, 03:06 PM

Perhaps a sense of perspective from both sides is on order. Neymar is only 19, still a teenager. There was a banana thrown on the pitch so no doubt he was (understandably) angry and not really thinking straight. He owes us no apology but the bam who threw the banana owes him one.

CropleyWasGod
28-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Perhaps a sense of perspective from both sides is on order. Neymar is only 19, still a teenager. There was a banana thrown on the pitch so no doubt he was (understandably) angry and not really thinking straight. He owes us no apology but the bam who threw the banana owes him one.

Normally I agree with most of what you say, but not sure about this bit. Personally, I'm not really offended by what a 19 year old says about me, but I can understand those who are.

GreenPJ
28-03-2011, 03:15 PM

hibsbollah
28-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Is it commonplace to chuck pies at players in the SPL? No.
Did it once happen in an Edinburgh derby? Yes.
Is there necessarily any deep moral significance to be attached to a single event like that? No.

Was the pie thrown by one of the players own fans? Not sure if its relevant if not.

hibsbollah
28-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Totally agree.

Phil D. Rolls
28-03-2011, 03:49 PM

As any fule kno, it should be "any group containing Rangers fans is racist".

snooky
28-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Interesting to note the sentiment that it's racist if a Scot threw the banana but not if it was a Brazilian. :dunno:

Who knows the reason why it was thrown - only the tosser.
(Double entrandre alert!)

hibsbollah
28-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Interesting to note the sentiment that it's racist if a Scot threw the banana but not if it was a Brazilian. :dunno:

I dont see that sentiment anywhere on this thread, and it would be a fairly stupid line to take.

lapsedhibee
28-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Who knows the reason why it was thrown - only the tosser.
(Double entrandre alert!)

Wasn't at the game but on the tellybox just now it looked as if the banana was half-eaten. Is it at all possible that it was brought into the ground (or even purchased there) as food rather than racist weaponry? :dunno:

Future17
28-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Wasn't at the game but on the tellybox just now it looked as if the banana was half-eaten. Is it at all possible that it was brought into the ground (or even purchased there) as food rather than racist weaponry? :dunno:

Good spot. You must have been keeping your eyes peeled. :tumble:

wazoo1875
28-03-2011, 06:22 PM

This is my thoughts on this too, I think someone's just had it in the ground with them to eat and probably just chucked it. I wouldn't like to think we've lapsed 20 years, having come so far to rid the game of this kind of thing. I genuinely believe there is nothing in this at all.

hibsbollah
28-03-2011, 06:27 PM
i thought his hair looked like Vaz Te's :greengrin

Vaz Te has terrible hair. Boozys hairbear bunch-era do was bad but at least that was a joke.

DH1875
28-03-2011, 06:31 PM

:top marks, Totally agree. Cause it was a banana it's racist :rolleyes:. WTF is the world coming to.

wazoo1875
28-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Vaz Te has terrible hair. Boozys hairbear bunch-era do was bad but at least that was a joke.
Christ, I'd forgotten about that Boozy do !

NYHibby
28-03-2011, 06:36 PM
saw this on you tube...i know its hard tae see but if its right then it looks like a brazilian with a yellow top on threw the banana to me.

In case people missed this, you can see the reflection off the banana (or other object) when it is in mid air. You need to switch to 720p and watch full screen to be able to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch/?v=fgQzfw1axpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgQzfw1axpg&hd=1)

Holmesdale Hibs
28-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Neymar is talking pash. He was booed because he was play acting. Simple. Nothing to do with colour. There was also booing when he took the penalty but that's hardly unusual.

I saw something being thrown on the pitch but was at the other side of the ground so didn't realise what it was. It came from an area that had mostly Brazil fans so, unless someone has been caught, I don't think we can assume it was a Scot.

iwasthere1972
28-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Posted Yesterday, 21:27
http://twitter.com/ST_Sport (Sunday Times journo)

Bananagate at Emirates - I saw the offending fruit thrown (was standing 30 yards away) by a Brazilian fan celebrating Neymar pen :agree:

What did you do with the banana?

DH1875
28-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Was the pie thrown by one of the players own fans? Not sure if its relevant if not.

I think it's relevant. If you throw a Scots pie at a scotsman are you racist? Of course not. Lets be honest here. Do you think a drunken Scots man would have been able to keep a banana for that long if his sole intention was to lob it at some Brazilian? He'd have had it thrown in the first 20 mins, easy. Also do you not think some of the Brazilians in that area would of had something to say.
Really think it's a nothing story and if anything he should come out and apologize.

iwasthere1972
28-03-2011, 10:00 PM
I think it's relevant. If you throw a Scots pie at a scotsman are you racist? Of course not. Lets be honest here. Do you think a drunken Scots man would have been able to keep a banana for that long if his sole intention was to lob it at some Brazilian? He'd have had it thrown in the first 20 mins, easy. Also do you not think some of the Brazilians in that area would of had something to say.
Really think it's a nothing story and if anything he should come out and apologize.

:agree: Totally agree. Anyway if it was a Scots fan who threw it he/she was probably aiming for McGregor and being half pished missed their intended target.

Bostonhibby
28-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Another thing just occurred to me now that I have started to sober up, I seen a Brazilian woman chucking a rubber ring at Alex McCleish as he was walking round.

I am absolutely convinced that she was suggesting that all Scots (as opposed to just those in the west) have some aversion to water and I think that we should demand that Alex Salmond writes to FIFA demanding urgent action be taken against Brazil.
There is an election coming up so maybe we could bomb them :wink:

Hibercelona
29-03-2011, 12:53 AM

I suppose that makes me racist. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'm so sorry my use of grammer wasn't up to the high standards that you two must be used to.

Couple of removed:rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm so sorry my use of grammer wasn't up to the high standards that you two must be used to.

My post wasn't about your grammar (sic). It was about the fact that you said any group of fans with Rangers amongst them must be racist. I was part of that group. Therefore I was complaining about your tagging me as racist.

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Another thing just occurred to me now that I have started to sober up, I seen a Brazilian woman chucking a rubber ring at Alex McCleish as he was walking round.

I am absolutely convinced that she was suggesting that all Scots (as opposed to just those in the west) have some aversion to water and I think that we should demand that Alex Salmond writes to FIFA demanding urgent action be taken against Brazil.
There is an election coming up so maybe we could bomb them :wink:

Big Eck must have walked round 4 times. I reckon he was goading the Brazilians into some sort of action..... so that the other Big Eck could justify some sort of military action.

Woody1985
29-03-2011, 07:25 AM
To me it was pretty obvious that they meant the rangers fans and not the group.

H18sry
29-03-2011, 07:26 AM

Not your grammar, just your stupidity :rolleyes:

Hibby D
29-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Am I missing something here???? :confused:

We're talking about an inflatable bannana, yes? If so, there were inflatable palm trees, dozens of beach balls, several rubber rings and (for some strange reason) an inflatable shoe :greengrin

I'm not sure I'd go with the theory that it was a racially motivated action on behalf of some random Scotland fan sitting amongst several thousand Brazillian fans. I mean really? :dunno:

One licensed establishment adjacent to the tube station had "Brazillian fans only" posted on all the windows. Needless to say we felt quite aggrieved at that - was it sectarian or just the pub's attempt to stave off any trouble between opposing fans? I later found out it was the latter :agree: (the doorman on the pub next door explained it to me) But for a short period of time I felt rather hurt at the thought that I was being pre-judged because I was Scottish - not a nice feeling at all :no way:

It boils down to intention and perception - hopefully someone will explain that to NaeMair and this incident won't damage the otherwise good reputation the overwhelming majority of Scotland fans have built up over the years.

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Am I missing something here???? :confused:

We're talking about an inflatable bannana, yes? .

1. yes

2. naw

Back to the pub, you. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2011, 10:26 AM

So black people really do live on bananas, just like monkeys?

Hibby D
29-03-2011, 11:20 AM
1. yes

2. naw

Back to the pub, you. :greengrin

Really?

I only got back late last night so apologies for misunderstanding and going off on one about rubber rings and beach balls (and for not reading up on it all properly) :embarrass

No more pub until Saturday :party:

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Really?

I only got back late last night so apologies for misunderstanding and going off on one about rubber rings and beach balls (and for not reading up on it all properly) :embarrass

No more pub until Saturday :party:

Aye, really.... it was a real one, half eaten apparently. You Tube suggests it was thrown from the Brazil end. If it was from our end, I think you'd agree that it was a helluva throw :greengrin

--------
29-03-2011, 11:33 AM
What if it had been a black pudding supper?

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2011, 11:40 AM
What if it had been a black pudding supper?

What with the cost of food in that London, it wouldn't have got three rows without being intercepted.

iwasthere1972
29-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I remember about 5 years ago at Easter Road (in the east stand) one nutter threw a pizza on the pitch. The funny thing was it was still in it's box but there weren't any of our Italian players in the immediate vicinity of where he threw it. I know the food isn't that great at ER but come on.

Anyway the guy got thrown out by the bobby :greengrin but just went round to the away end and paid again and sat with the Livi fans.

Anyway back to the Banana........................................

Hibby D
29-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Aye, really.... it was a real one, half eaten apparently. You Tube suggests it was thrown from the Brazil end. If it was from our end, I think you'd agree that it was a helluva throw :greengrin

Indeedy :greengrin It was a rather large stadium right enough :agree:

And by the looks of some of the Brazilians, I'd say the chances of them eating a banana as a half-time snack are infinitely greater than us fat, beer swilling, pie munching Scots :wink:

Woody1985
29-03-2011, 12:24 PM
No Scot would eat half a banana!

easty
29-03-2011, 01:41 PM

I ate half a banana this morning. The top half was all black and squishy so I discarded that (in the bin, I had a quick look out the window but didnt see any black people :rolleyes:), I ate the bottom half, it was alright, nowt special.

essexhibee
29-03-2011, 02:20 PM

No scot would eat a banana full stop!

Unless layered in some thick juicy batter of course..... :aok:

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Turns out it was a German student that launched the banana, so, people will need to find something else to get offended with now!

easty
29-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Turns out it was a German student that launched the banana, so, people will need to find something else to get offended with now!

Bloody racist Germans. They're almost as annoying as the English.

Woody1985
29-03-2011, 03:03 PM
I ate half a banana this morning. The top half was all black and squishy so I discarded that (in the bin, I had a quick look out the window but didnt see any black people :rolleyes:), I ate the bottom half, it was alright, nowt special.

Are you sure you weren't bein bananaist by discarding the black part? :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
29-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Yup. How about.... "there's kids starving in Brazil and he has to throw good food away." ???

Skanko79
29-03-2011, 03:28 PM
looks like Neymar will be due us a wee apology http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=128&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=7517

HibeeB
29-03-2011, 03:31 PM

Bloody Huns :rolleyes:

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Yes, there is nothing offensive about racist abuse if it isn't somebody you know who is doing it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-03-2011, 04:21 PM
The met are not treating it as a racially motivated incident.

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2011, 04:34 PM
The met are not treating it as a racially motivated incident.

Looks like a storm in a teacup. Hope the player is taken to task for speaking out of turn then. Some people abuse the measures that are in place to protect them, and that doesn't help anybody.

lapsedhibee
29-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes, there is nothing offensive about racist abuse if it isn't somebody you know who is doing it.

Throwing fruit would hardly register on a scale of the racist abuse that Germans are capable of. :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Throwing fruit would hardly register on a scale of the racist abuse that Germans are capable of. :wink:

Don't mention the war, I did but I think I got away with it.

Bostonhibby
29-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Heard Alan Brazil on radio saying nae chance it was a Scotsman that dun it, WTF would they be doing sneaking a piece of fruit into a football ground? Can of Lager maybe :greengrin

Greentinted
29-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Let me get this right...

A German throws a banana into a few Brazilians but this wasn't on a 'specialist' website?

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
29-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Let me get this right...

A German throws a banana into a few Brazilians but this wasn't on a 'specialist' website?

:faf:

wazoo1875
29-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Let me get this right...

Quality :aok:

DH1875
29-03-2011, 06:15 PM
So black people really do live on bananas, just like monkeys?

EH? What's your point caller? That's went right over my head.

Like I said before hope Neymar is marched in front of the cameras to apologize.

Bostonhibby
29-03-2011, 06:44 PM
looks like Neymar will be due us a wee apology http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=128&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=7517

Would require dignity / humility so don't hold your breath, mind you his agent might tell him to do it.

hibbytam
29-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Looks like a storm in a teacup. Hope the player is taken to task for speaking out of turn then. Some people abuse the measures that are in place to protect them, and that doesn't help anybody.

To be fair, if he thought he was being racially abused, he had every right to complain. The problem is he complained to the news cameras before clarifying whether he was right or not. I think he should now apologise, but I won't be losing any sleep over it if he doesn't.

I think the most annoying thing is that he's that good a player, yet he felt he had to cheat against Scotland. I'm not sure how good he thinks we are, but there really was no need for that.

Dirkster23
29-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Best not to jump to conclusions, eh :na na:

Bostonhibby
29-03-2011, 07:00 PM
To be fair, if he thought he was being racially abused, he had every right to complain. The problem is he complained to the news cameras before clarifying whether he was right or not. I think he should now apologise, but I won't be losing any sleep over it if he doesn't.

I think the most annoying thing is that he's that good a player, yet he felt he had to cheat against Scotland. I'm not sure how good he thinks we are, but there really was no need for that.

:top marks

From my point of view this was always all about the diving, thats why I was giving him pelters, so was my Chelsea supporting English mate who was sat right next to me, Naeclas wasn't even a very good diver, and as you say maybe he didn't have to do it. Looks like another thick selfish sort that will eventually pop up in the EPL. Casts a bit of a cloud over all the good things that Brazil always meant to me...........

hibsbollah
29-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Best not to jump to conclusions, eh :na na:

I didn't. Nothing i said has been proved wrong, dafty.

hfc rd
29-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I think Neymar owes the Scottish fans an apology now and let's see if he is man enough to do that.

Dirkster23
29-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Yes you did, that's why you asked if it was common place for Brazil fans to throw bananas at their own players ya dafty! Pretty clear you'd made up you mind it was a Scot that had thrown the banana.

hibsbollah
29-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes you did, that's why you asked if it was common place for Brazil fans to throw bananas at their own players ya dafty! Pretty clear you'd made up you mind it was a Scot that had thrown the banana.

But he WASN'T Brasilian. Maybe you missed that bit eh?

Dirkster23
30-03-2011, 07:56 AM
But he WASN'T Brasilian. Maybe you missed that bit eh?

No, didn't miss that, he was a neutral at the game sitting amongst the Brazilian fans. A possibility you clearly didn't think of when you were saying there was a case to answer.

Do you now think Neymar should apologise to the Scottish fans for calling them racists?

H18sry
30-03-2011, 08:06 AM
No, didn't miss that, he was a neutral at the game sitting amongst the Brazilian fans. A possibility you clearly didn't think of when you were saying there was a case to answer.

Do you now think Neymar should apologise to the Scottish fans for calling them racists?

Yes I do

Phil D. Rolls
30-03-2011, 08:08 AM
EH? What's your point caller? That's went right over my head.

Like I said before hope Neymar is marched in front of the cameras to apologize.

The reason racists throw bananas is because they like to make out black people are monkeys. It is not the same thing as throwing a Scotch pie at a jock.

It could have been a racist act on Sunday, but as it turns out it wasn't. I too hope this silly young man is made to apologise for speaking out of turn.

I just didn't agree with your argument that throwing bananas is not a racist act.

Part/Time Supporter
30-03-2011, 08:13 AM

"Where do you think the banana came from? Is it commonplace to chuck bananas at your own players in brasil?"

Pretty clear you thought it was a Scotland fan who chucked the banana.

There appears to be loads of bitter, bitter folk out there who were desperate for this to have been an act of racism. Why?

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2011, 09:38 AM
There appears to be loads of bitter, bitter folk out there who were desperate for this to have been an act of racism. Why?
Thats the impression I get from this incident, there was palpable disappointment when it turned out the culprit wasn't Scottish, very strange!

hibsbollah
30-03-2011, 10:18 AM
"Where do you think the banana came from? Is it commonplace to chuck bananas at your own players in brasil?"

Pretty clear you thought it was a Scotland fan who chucked the banana.

No, I didnt know who it was and I never said I did. I knew it wasnt likely to have come from the Brazilians, and it wasnt.

And I think it probably was a racist thing to do. If people arent aware of the cultural baggage in relation to chucking bananas, Mark Walters at Tynecastle and celtic park, John Barnes and countless other times across world football, they are clearly a bit naive or ignorant. But judging by some posts on this thread its just the same as throwing a pie:rolleyes:

Neymar had every right to go off on one if he thought someone had thrown a banana at him on the field. The fact the thrower wasnt Scottish and was in fact, German, has nothing to do with it.

Part/Time Supporter
30-03-2011, 10:35 AM
No, I didnt know who it was and I never said I did. I knew it wasnt likely to have come from the Brazilians, and it wasnt.

And I think it probably was a racist thing to do. If people arent aware of the cultural baggage in relation to chucking bananas, Mark Walters at Tynecastle and celtic park, John Barnes and countless other times across world football, they are clearly a bit naive or ignorant. But judging by some posts on this thread its just the same as throwing a pie:rolleyes:

Neymar had every right to go off on one if he thought someone had thrown a banana at him on the field. The fact the thrower wasnt Scottish and was in fact, German, has nothing to do with it.

The Metropolitan Police are satisfied that it wasn't racist. What qualifies you to offer a superior opinion?

Neymar is a stuck up wee ******** (the new Robinho or Balotelli in all likelihood) who has added 2 and 2 and made 56789348958901.

Postman
30-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Give it up Hibsbollah, you thought it was a Scotsman and were wrong so are in no place to call anyone a dafty!!

marinello59
30-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Give it up Hibsbollah, you thought it was a Scotsman and were wrong so are in no place to call anyone a dafty!!

I know he is quite capable of defending himself but I don't think that is what he did. He just didn't automatically assume that it wasn't a Scot which was a perfectly sensible stance to take before the facts were known.

easty
30-03-2011, 12:35 PM
I know he is quite capable of defending himself but I don't think that is what he did. He just didn't automatically assume that it wasn't a Scot which was a perfectly sensible stance to take before the facts were known.

Marinello and Hibsbollah sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. :greengrin

hibsbollah
30-03-2011, 01:01 PM

Dafty :-)

marinello59
30-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Marinello and Hibsbollah sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. :greengrin

It would have to be tree climbing or kissing. I ain't fit to do both.:greengrin

DH1875
30-03-2011, 04:02 PM
I just didn't agree with your argument that throwing bananas is not a racist act.

And that my friend is what's wrong with the world. Why should throwing a banana automatically become a racist issue.

lapsedhibee
30-03-2011, 06:29 PM
And that my friend is what's wrong with the world. Why should throwing a banana automatically become a racist issue.

In understanding banana abuse, context is all. If a white person, male or female, discards a half-eaten banana in a stadium where black athletes are competing, it's racist. Where a white woman is vigorously slicing a banana in a kitchen, on the other hand, it's the acting out of a Wayne Bobbitt fantasy. The former morally despicable, the latter harmless fun.

southfieldshibby
30-03-2011, 07:18 PM
It would have to be tree climbing or kissing. I ain't fit to do both.:greengrin

Well if it's in a tree you can always grab a banana. :greengrin

And so we go again...

Phil D. Rolls
31-03-2011, 08:02 AM

You seem to be unaware of the roots of this particular issue, because in the 80s no-one would have had to explain it to you.

It shouldn't automatically become one, but it shouldn't automatically be ignored. I think if it happens racism is the first thing that should be excluded.

Perhaps that is why the Brazilian player reacted the way he did??

lapsedhibee
31-03-2011, 08:15 AM
You seem to be unaware of the roots of this particular issue, because in the 80s no-one would have had to explain it to you.

It shouldn't automatically become one, but it shouldn't automatically be ignored. I think if it happens racism is the first thing that should be excluded.

Perhaps things have moved on in 30 years though?

'Going for a shower' meant something in one part of last century which it doesn't mean today. :wink:

Do we know yet if the teenage German tourist was being racist, or just carefree with his nutrition? :dunno:

marinello59
31-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Perhaps things have moved on in 30 years though?

'Going for a shower' meant something in one part of last century which it doesn't mean today. :wink:

Do we know yet if the teenage German tourist was being racist, or just carefree with his nutrition? :dunno:

Police were 'satisfied' there was no racist intent. Whatever that means.

lapsedhibee
31-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Police were 'satisfied' there was no racist intent. Whatever that means.

They can mind-read in German. :agree:

HuddsHibs
31-03-2011, 09:36 AM

Perhaps that is why the Brazilian player reacted the way he did??

There's really not a lot to discuss here. What has happened in the past (including in football stadia) means that this had to be investigated as a racist act. Police are now satisfied that it wasn't but that doesn't mean it wasn't right to look into it in the first place.

aberhibsfc
31-03-2011, 03:32 PM
I hope Neymar retracts his statement regards the TA.

This was a German teenage tourist and was sitting in with the Brazilians. How this constituted Scottish racial abuse I'll never know.

If it's because we boo'd him, at least we didn't take the field to kick lumps out the players akin to Brazilian matches.