PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos

hibsbollah
25-03-2011, 09:17 PM
I need to get an asbestos-roofed garage dismantled and taken away, and am getting quoted £3000+. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative, aside from chucking it in the water of leith?

seanraff07
26-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I need to get an asbestos-roofed garage dismantled and taken away, and am getting quoted £3000+. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative, aside from chucking it in the water of leith?

I'll give you a hand to stick it on top of the Yams main stand :wink:

At The Edge
26-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Due to the strict regulation of asbestos, only licensed businesses can remove asbestos, the HSE website (http://www.hse.gov.uk) will keep you right, but here are some firms based in Scotland.

Actions C & D Industrial Services (Scotland) Limited7a Drovers Road, East Mains Industrial Estate, Broxburn, West Lothian, EH52 5AZWest Lothian 01623 781200

Contamination Control Services(Scotland) Limited, 71 Loanbank Quadrant, Govan, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G51 3HZ Strathclyde 0141 445 4222

Enviraz (Scotland) LimitedCurran House, 23-29 Kelvin Avenue, Hillington Park, Glasgow, G52 4LT 0141 882 8440

NJS (Scotland) Ltd14 Pinefield Parade, Pinefield Industrial Estate, Elgin, Morayshire, IV30 6AG Morayshire 01343 546249

It pays to do this right, this stuff once disturbed can be a killer, hence why it costs a bit to get it disposed of correctly. :agree:

Purple & Green
26-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Due to the strict regulation of asbestos, only licensed businesses can remove asbestos, the HSE website (http://www.hse.gov.uk) will keep you right, but here are some firms based in Scotland.

Actions C & D Industrial Services (Scotland) Limited7a Drovers Road, East Mains Industrial Estate, Broxburn, West Lothian, EH52 5AZWest Lothian 01623 781200

Contamination Control Services(Scotland) Limited, 71 Loanbank Quadrant, Govan, Glasgow, Strathclyde, G51 3HZ Strathclyde 0141 445 4222

Enviraz (Scotland) LimitedCurran House, 23-29 Kelvin Avenue, Hillington Park, Glasgow, G52 4LT 0141 882 8440

NJS (Scotland) Ltd14 Pinefield Parade, Pinefield Industrial Estate, Elgin, Morayshire, IV30 6AG Morayshire 01343 546249

It pays to do this right, this stuff once disturbed can be a killer, hence why it costs a bit to get it disposed of correctly. :agree:

That's not strictly true - you don't have to be licensed to remove asbestos cement, or asbestos based bituminous felt. However dalkeith demolition would be a good reasonable option in the Edinburgh area. Off the top of my head, asp in east Lothian would be another to give you a competitive quote.

At The Edge
26-03-2011, 02:43 PM
yep thats true. the OP doesn't state what the asbestos is, so was just giving general info, again the HSE www has info on non licensed removal and how to removeand dispose of it safely.
:greengrin

hibsbollah
26-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks all. I just couldnt believe what i was being quoted to be honest, but i need to get it done somehow.

The corruagted asbestos garage roof has split due to weight of snow, and i hear it can be very bad news once it breaks.

Barney McGrew
26-03-2011, 04:57 PM
However dalkeith demolition would be a good reasonable option in the Edinburgh area

After their shenanigans trying to bury stuff under the East Stand, I'd be giving them bugger all business :wink:

Andy Bee
26-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks all. I just couldnt believe what i was being quoted to be honest, but i need to get it done somehow.

The corruagted asbestos garage roof has split due to weight of snow, and i hear it can be very bad news once it breaks.

:agree: One particle of dust inhaled can lay dormant for over 20 years then cause Methothelioma, a particularly nasty form of cancer if there's such a thing as bad and worse cancers. Starts off as an irritant in the lung causing fluid to build then progresses. Terminal in all cases. Sorry to be so blunt but just watch what you're doing with the stuff it's a real killer :agree:

fat freddy
26-03-2011, 06:59 PM
:agree: One partical of dust inhaled can lay dormant for over 20 years then cause Methothelioma, a particularly nasty form of cancer if there's such a thing as bad and worse cancers. Starts off as an irritant in the lung causing fluid to build then progresses. Terminal in all cases. Sorry to be so blunt but just watch what you're doing with the stuff it's a real killer :agree:

21 years ago i worked for a demolition company and we removed the asbestos roof of the building just off mcdonald road which now houses the cash and carry....we used crow bars to rip the asbestos from the bolts that fastened it to the roof...we dropped it to the ground below causing plumes of asbestos dust...we wore no safety masks and had no removable overalls...why am i not dead?

Andy Bee
26-03-2011, 08:38 PM
21 years ago i worked for a demolition company and we removed the asbestos roof of the building just off mcdonald road which now houses the cash and carry....we used crow bars to rip the asbestos from the bolts that fastened it to the roof...we dropped it to the ground below causing plumes of asbestos dust...we wore no safety masks and had no removable overalls...why am i not dead?

Funny that, I have a similar story....around 30 years ago my sons grandpa, an electrician, subbied in the old ship builders renewing old cabling next to a team doing the exact same as you, he thought the same as there were no regulations surrounding it back then, he was diagnosed just before Christmas 04 after going to the doctor in relation to a cough he couldn't shift, he died in June 07. This was a fully fit man in his mid 50's who'd never smoked in his life. It's a ticking timebomb.

NotoriousLor
26-03-2011, 08:54 PM
A very horrible disease indeed, I had to watch my father die of mesothelioma, be very careful with the stuff and get it taken away as soon as possible. My dad was a long distance driver for cox denholm and apparently bakery ovens used to be lined with the stuff for insulation. He also never got a penny from them as we could not prove where he came into contact with it.

fat freddy
26-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Funny that, I have a similar story....around 30 years ago my sons grandpa, an electrician, subbied in the old ship builders renewing old cabling next to a team doing the exact same as you, he thought the same as there were no regulations surrounding it back then, he was diagnosed just before Christmas 04 after going to the doctor in relation to a cough he couldn't shift, he died in June 07. This was a fully fit man in his mid 50's who'd never smoked in his life. It's a ticking timebomb.

to be honest, i think about that job quite a bit and i've always thought there was a chance that it might come back to haunt me...at the time we were told it was the safe type of asbestos but we now know different...there is no safe type...i used to go home after work wearing the same clothes i worked in and i probably caused a danger to anyone i came into contact with including my first born who was just a baby then...i can only hope i'm one of the lucky ones and its not waiting to rear its ugly head:worried:

Hibrandenburg
30-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Spread the word that your garage is really a Libyan aircraft hanger. It'll be gone in no time.

hibsbollah
30-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Spread the word that your garage is really a Libyan aircraft hanger. It'll be gone in no time.

Good call. Imperialist crusaders come ahead ya bass...

For anyone else in the same boat, edinburgh councils asbestos team (edinburgh scientific services) were very helpful.