PDA

View Full Version : NHC The Bert Trautmann Story

lyonhibs
25-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw this yesterday, on the "Yesterday" channel - I suspect not, as that channel is generally the reserve of WWII buffs (of which I am one :greengrin).

Anyway, what a story!! I was aware of the bones of it - i.e. Nazi goes from POW to FA Cup winning goalie who played on for 20 minutes with a broken neck. What I didn't realise were the other parts.

That he was a paratrooper on the treacherous retreat from Russia, fought on the Western front and in the Ardennes forest, was about to marry a 18 year-old English lass that he'd got pregnant but panicked at the last minute and wasn't reconciled with either mother or child until 1990.

He was the 1st goalie ever to win POTY in England, he played until the age of 42, his broken neck was actually millimetres from - at least - paralysing him and that 1 month into his recuperation, his 5 year old son got killed - in front of his wife - in a car crash. He played the 1956 under the shadow of a death threat received from an irate Spurs fan following their semi-final defeat. In 2004 he was made an OBE, given to him by the Queen of the country he was fighting against 60 years earlier, and he now considers himself to be far more British than German.

If someone told you all that and you didn't know it was true, you'd tell them to lay off the crystal meth!!!

I'm no Man City fan, but that's a great story!!

poolman
25-03-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't know if anyone else saw this yesterday, on the "Yesterday" channel - I suspect not, as that channel is generally the reserve of WWII buffs (of which I am one :greengrin).

Anyway, what a story!! I was aware of the bones of it - i.e. Nazi goes from POW to FA Cup winning goalie who played on for 20 minutes with a broken neck. What I didn't realise were the other parts.

That he was a paratrooper on the treacherous retreat from Russia, fought on the Western front and in the Ardennes forest, was about to marry a 18 year-old English lass that he'd got pregnant but panicked at the last minute and wasn't reconciled with either mother or child until 1990.

He was the 1st goalie ever to win POTY in England, he played until the age of 42, his broken neck was actually millimetres from - at least - paralysing him and that 1 month into his recuperation, his 5 year old son got killed - in front of his wife - in a car crash. He played the 1956 under the shadow of a death threat received from an irate Spurs fan following their semi-final defeat. In 2004 he was made an OBE, given to him by the Queen of the country he was fighting against 60 years earlier, and he now considers himself to be far more British than German.

If someone told you all that and you didn't know it was true, you'd tell them to lay off the crystal meth!!!

I've videod this on my Virgin box last night so after your review I'm looking forward to watching it later today :agree:

Sylar
25-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Would make a brilliant film actually :greengrin

Calvin
25-03-2011, 11:58 AM
I had it on remind last night but actually watched the repeat this morning. Quite enjoyed it, even if it was ruined by the presence of Bob Wilson!

It certainly is a story.

Joe's ice cream
25-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I had it on remind last night but actually watched the repeat this morning. Quite enjoyed it, even if it was ruined by the presence of Bob Wilson!

It certainly is a story.

I caught this programme and realy enjoyed it- not 100% sure why Bob Wilson's presence should have spoilt your enjoyment- heard him on 5-live over the weekend being interviewed and thought he came across very well in all he discussed- was talking then about how Bert Trautmann was his all time hero

CropleyWasGod
25-03-2011, 12:16 PM
It is actually a fantastic story. I'd heard of this guy before as well but din't know all that much about him.

Maybe all the 'WWII Buffs' should be forced to watch it to see that germans were/are just ordinary human beings :wink:

My eyes have been opened. :aok:

Calvin
25-03-2011, 12:24 PM
I caught this programme and realy enjoyed it- not 100% sure why Bob Wilson's presence should have spoilt your enjoyment- heard him on 5-live over the weekend being interviewed and thought he came across very well in all he discussed- was talking then about how Bert Trautmann was his all time hero

I'm biased by Half Man Half Biscuit. It was a good programme.

GordonHFC
25-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Was the final he broke his neck in the same one that Bobby Johnstone scored in ?

Wakeyhibee
25-03-2011, 02:08 PM

But I still can't get my head around............

Is that not the DP home top in your avatar?

Calvin
25-03-2011, 02:46 PM
But I still can't get my head around............

Is that not the DP home top in your avatar?

I hope it's the away kit!

Iggy Pope
25-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Pop culture at last!

Is that a Dukla Prague away strip and did you get it for your Christmas? :wink:

ancient hibee
25-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Pretty sure he played at Easter Road.

mim
25-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Pretty sure he played at Easter Road.

.and you are quite right. Lawrie Leslie was in goal for Hibs.

http://img.iwascoding.com/3/2011/02/03/C4/0ABE2B740FF74506BC79E54C0C9E8152.jpg

PeterboroHibee
25-03-2011, 09:18 PM
He sounds like an amazing man. Lev Yashin classed him as the only other world class goalkeeper beside himself, high praise indeed!

Best story Ive heard about him is in a match (cant remember who City were playing), the opposition were awarded a dubious penalty, think it was when he was still a bit of a hate figure to alot of people. He saved the penalty, but the ref awarded a retake, supposedly without any real reason. Trautmann went nuts, threw the ball into the home crowd who went silent. He then saved the retake, and the whole stadium erupted with applause for him :not worth.

poolman
26-03-2011, 09:44 AM

It certainly is a story.

Watched it last night and, indeed, it was a great programme and a great story, really sad when his young son died.

But for the life of me I really cant understand the point you made about Bob Wilson :confused: did he refuse to give you an autograph or something because how you can say it was ruined by him is totally baffling :confused:

jdships
26-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Remember at the time , 1949 , when he signed for Man City the club's decision to sign a former German paratrooper sparked protests, with an estimated 20,000 people attending a demonstration.
The newspapers had a field day !!
City's match against Fulham in January 1950 was Trautmann's first visit to London. The match received widespread media attention and with the horrific damage caused to the city by the Luftwaffe it meant former paratrooper Trautmann was a hate figure for the crowd, who yelled "Kraut" and "Nazi" at him.
Within months he became a cult figure for City supporters and everyone who saw/watched hin play realised we were watching a rare talent .
I believe he had a 60% success rate at saving penalties and played more than 500 games for MC.
Enjoyed the programme very much :agree:

magnificent_seven
26-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Was the final he broke his neck in the same one that Bobby Johnstone scored in ?

Indeed it was.

Calvin
26-03-2011, 03:50 PM
But for the life of me I really cant understand the point you made about Bob Wilson :confused: did he refuse to give you an autograph or something because how you can say it was ruined by him is totally baffling :confused:

There is a song by the fantastic band Half Man Half Biscuit about how poor quality a TV personality he is, as referenced further up the thread. It was just a subtle reference to that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jf06WlIwEs

ancient hibee
26-03-2011, 08:43 PM
.and you are quite right. Lawrie Leslie was in goal for Hibs.

http://img.iwascoding.com/3/2011/02/03/C4/0ABE2B740FF74506BC79E54C0C9E8152.jpg
Featuring also Dave Ewing future manager after Willie McFarlane.

ancient hibee
26-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Just to be a smartass -Bobby scored in two finals in a row-the first player to do so-the broken neck was in the winning final.