PDA

View Full Version : British Olympic team

CallumLaidlaw
24-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Whats everyones thoughts on this?
I know previously all the Celtic teams had said they were definitely not going to take part, but Blatter has said it wouldn't take away their identity, and now the new FIFA vice-president has said he would happily seek assurances on behalf of the celtic nations.

Personally, I wonder if there is any point. The only way I think it should be allowed is if there was assurances that there was going to be X number of players from each nation called into the squad, which I can't see.

Realistically, barring Gareth Bale and the Scottish goalies (and Maybe Darren Fletcher), who else would get into the first 11?

And if it is all English, although it is "Team GB", I would find it really hard to get behind them.

H18sry
24-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I know previously all the Celtic teams had said they were definitely not going to take part, but Blatter has said it wouldn't take away their identity, and now the new FIFA vice-president has said he would happily seek assurances on behalf of the celtic nations.

Personally, I wonder if there is any point. The only way I think it should be allowed is if there was assurances that there was going to be X number of players from each nation called into the squad, which I can't see.

Realistically, barring Gareth Bale and the Scottish goalies (and Maybe Darren Fletcher), who else would get into the first 11?

And if it is all English, although it is "Team GB", I would find it really hard to get behind them.
The Olympic football competition is for u-23's so it may open it up too a few more non English player's to be selected

Bishop Hibee
24-03-2011, 08:07 PM
http://www.noteamgb.com/

It would mean the beginning of the end for the national teams of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Hopefully the tens of thousands of Scotland fans will make their opinion on the matter heard at the Emirates on Sunday.

I'd support anyone playing a 'united' team GB. Any 'Scot' mad enough to play for such a team would be abused at every ground in Scotland except perhaps Ipox and would never be accepted by the TA.

NorthfieldHibee
24-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Personally, I'd love to see this happen but there would have to be some sort of measure put in place to stop it being the current england u21 squad plus Gareth Bale.

For example, if they had a squad of 24 for the tournament, make it they have to have six players from each nation, which in my eyes makes it slightly fairer. so my starting 11 would be :

Loach

Matthews Hanlon Smalling Gibbs

Bale Henderson Blake

Sturridge Griffiths Rhodes

Luna_Asylum
24-03-2011, 08:29 PM

It would mean the beginning of the end for the national teams of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. Hopefully the tens of thousands of Scotland fans will make their opinion on the matter heard at the Emirates on Sunday.

I'd support anyone playing a 'united' team GB. Any 'Scot' mad enough to play for such a team would be abused at every ground in Scotland except perhaps Ipox and would never be accepted by the TA.

Is it just football that will be affected or will it mean the end of Scottish teams in all the other olympic sports also?

Removed
24-03-2011, 08:34 PM

But don't the TA already happily accept Englishmen in OUR national team?

Andy74
24-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Personally, I'd love to see this happen but there would have to be some sort of measure put in place to stop it being the current england u21 squad plus Gareth Bale.

For example, if they had a squad of 24 for the tournament, make it they have to have six players from each nation, which in my eyes makes it slightly fairer. so my starting 11 would be :

Loach

Matthews Hanlon Smalling Gibbs

Bale Henderson Blake

Sturridge Griffiths Rhodes

Stopped reading at Hanlon!

Allant1981
24-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Is it just football that will be affected or will it mean the end of Scottish teams in all the other olympic sports also?

scotland arent in the olympics

Sylar
24-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales all have some very promising youngsters coming through, so I don't agree it would be "dominated" by English players.

As a result, so long as assurances could be made about the amount of representation for each of the home nations, I think it would be a very positive step to highlighting that there are talented footballers from all parts of the UK and boost the profile of the respective leagues :agree:

Golf fans can get behind each other under a banner of Europe every two years, despite a distinct lack of Scottish talent out there just now, so I'd like to hope most Scottish football fans would be willing to back a United team, assuming a decent inclusion of Scottish prospects.

steakbake
24-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm not in favour. The closer we get to the actual games, the more the emotional pull seems to be picking up to fix something up. I really don't think it is worth the risk to all four home countries' national teams, just for the romance of putting out a team GB for the meaningless olympics.

Sylar
24-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm not in favour. The closer we get to the actual games, the more the emotional pull seems to be picking up to fix something up. I really don't think it is worth the risk to all four home countries' national teams, just for the romance of putting out a team GB for the meaningless olympics.

Genuine question, as I honestly don't know, but what role do FIFA/UEFA have in the Olympic games?

ScottB
24-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales all have some very promising youngsters coming through, so I don't agree it would be "dominated" by English players.

As a result, so long as assurances could be made about the amount of representation for each of the home nations, I think it would be a very positive step to highlighting that there are talented footballers from all parts of the UK and boost the profile of the respective leagues :agree:

Golf fans can get behind each other under a banner of Europe every two years, despite a distinct lack of Scottish talent out there just now, so I'd like to hope most Scottish football fans would be willing to back a United team, assuming a decent inclusion of Scottish prospects.

It would be dominated by English players because it will have an English coach and the English media breathing down his neck.

I think it's a bad regardless of what anyone at FIFA says, the problem is many other countries and confederations want us reduced to a British team, so having a current high up say it's ok is irrelevant if there's still going to be lots of other people at FIFA clamoring to use it to get rid of the Home Nations teams.

So yeah, if there's going to be a team, let it be an English one. Or a select side that doesn't have the support of the FA's or something.

Frazerbob
24-03-2011, 08:57 PM
The problem is that whilst Blatter has given assurances that a Team GB would not effect the football independence of Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland, if and when he steps down, any future FIFA president can reverse this and decide that the precedent set in these Olympics mean that the UK should become one football nation. There are plenty of countries who would love for that to happen and regularly lobby FIFA.

This is why Team GB must not happen and why the three nations will not entertain the notion.

Cocaine&Caviar
24-03-2011, 08:58 PM
___________Hennessey

Thomson___Jones___Smalling___Gibbs

_____________Rodwell
________Ramsey___Wilshere

McCarthy___________________Bale
_____________Welbeck

2 Wales
2 Scotland
6 English

Removed
24-03-2011, 09:00 PM
___________Hennessey

_____________Rodwell

_____________Welbeck

2 Wales
2 Scotland
6 English

Who are the Scots?

And I thought association football was 11 a side :wink:

steakbake
24-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Genuine question, as I honestly don't know, but what role do FIFA/UEFA have in the Olympic games?

None whatsoever. However, they oversee the structure of the international game. If people like Craig Brown are to be believed - and I believe him - FIFA have increasingly regarded our separate identities as a bit of an anomaly. We occupy four spaces in European tournaments where if merged, only one would do. A joint British team in the Olympics wouldn't exactly set a precedent - it's happened before but it would I think be an unwelcome way of strengthening those within FIFA who would like to see four teams become one.

Cocaine&Caviar
24-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Who are the Scots?

And I thought association football was 11 a side :wink:

*3 Wales

and Thomson and Irish McCarthy.

H18sry
24-03-2011, 09:43 PM
*3 Wales

and Thomson and Irish McCarthy.

He is not eligible for team GB as Ireland have there own Olympic team :agree:

Cocaine&Caviar
24-03-2011, 09:49 PM
He is not eligible for team GB as Ireland have there own Olympic team :agree:

But as has been heavily documented, he is as yet undecided on whom he is going to represent.

Frazerbob
24-03-2011, 09:55 PM
But as has been heavily documented, he is as yet undecided on whom he is going to represent.

Take it you haven't seen his interview on SSN tonight then. He's with the Irish squad and desperate to play this weekend to put to bed all the rumours that he still wants to play for Scotland. The wee bigot has decided to play for Ireland......FACT :wink:

Mixu62
24-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't believe Blatter if he told me the sky is blue. He makes promises based on whatever country he's speaking to at the time. Like promising NZ that the Oceania group winners would get an automatic WC place for example. As soon as he's back to European business, no I never said that!

The guy's a clown. But he still makes the SFA look professional!

Bishop Hibee
24-03-2011, 10:29 PM

There are no Scottish teams in the Olympics.

But don't the TA already happily accept Englishmen in OUR national team?

No. Under FIFA rules, anyone who has a Scottish grandparent is eligible to play for Scotland. I'd prefer it to be parents only or a certain number of years schooling in Scotland but rules are rules and if players are happy to commit to Scotland then fine by me.

Take it you haven't seen his interview on SSN tonight then. He's with the Irish squad and desperate to play this weekend to put to bed all the rumours that he still wants to play for Scotland. The wee bigot has decided to play for Ireland......FACT :wink:

McCarthy shows how alienated some Scots born in the west of the country feel. Hopefully this kind of attitude will change in line with enlightened east coast thinking :wink:

fife hfc
25-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Does anybody really think that the English would risk losing their national team? The TA and other Scots are just so anti English that they use the fear of losing the national team as an excuse.

I would love to see a British Olympic team as long as the squad was based on having an equal representation of all four nations. Based on this they could still put out a decent side. With three over age players allowed we could supply the goalie and probabley the right back.

GORDON*
HUTTON*
BALE
EVANS
SMALLING
RAMSEY
WILSHIRE
GIGGS*
CARROLL
Lafferty
Goodwillie

Lafferty was under 23 at the start of the European qualifying campaign so I think might be young enough. Maybe not the best side but allows representatives from all four nations.

Posh Swanny
25-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't worry about FIFA and any loss of national identity.

There is no way they'd be able to get rid of Scotland and England, it would be political suicide for whoever was in charge at FIFA. Back in the dark hooligan days of the 80s they may have had a chance of getting it through, but not now. The revenues transported around the world wherever England play and the numbers, tradition and reputation of the Tartan Army are too big to ****** with.

Chuck in some good old fashioned British red-top tabloid hysteria about what might happen in the stands if Scottish, English, Norn Irish and Welsh were sat together, and any campaigns would be met with extremely short shrift.

The "why would we want to play with them c**ts?" argument may be petty but it hold more weight IMO!

The_Sauz
25-03-2011, 08:33 AM
If England are so keen to go a head with a GB Olympic football team, then why were they not to keen on playing in the four nations tournament :confused:
In fact, they could have used the tournament for selection purposes, with teams only aloud to play 3 over aged players and the rest made up with 4 pro and 4 semi pro players. Remember the Olympics was meant for only amateur sportsmen & woman :agree:

TonyStokeprano
25-03-2011, 08:42 AM
___________Hennessey

_____________Rodwell

_____________Welbeck

2 Wales
2 Scotland
6 English

Craig Thomson ?

marinello59
25-03-2011, 08:43 AM
Football just shouldn't be in the Olympics. The FIFA/UEFA competitions are the pinnacle of our sport, no real need to have an Olympic competition as well.

The_Sauz
25-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Football just shouldn't be in the Olympics. The FIFA/UEFA competitions are the pinnacle of our sport, no real need to have an Olympic competition as well.
:agree:

easty
25-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Do they line up and do the whole national anthems thing before the football at the Olympics?

The thought of any of our players lining up shoulder to shoulder in the same side as English internationals while the English national anthem is played out gies me the boak.

Mind you, if Commons/Bardsley/Morrison/Makie/Makail Smith/Gilks/etc etc. wanted to play in it I'd have no complaints, they're no Scottish anyway.

Removed
25-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Do they line up and do the whole national anthems thing before the football at the Olympics?

The thought of any of our players lining up shoulder to shoulder in the same side as English internationals while the English national anthem is played out gies me the boak.

Mind you, if Commons/Bardsley/Morrison/Makie/Makail Smith/Gilks/etc etc. wanted to play in it I'd have no complaints, they're no Scottish anyway.

When did England get their own national anthem :confused:

CallumLaidlaw
25-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Does anybody really think that the English would risk losing their national team? The TA and other Scots are just so anti English that they use the fear of losing the national team as an excuse.

I would love to see a British Olympic team as long as the squad was based on having an equal representation of all four nations. Based on this they could still put out a decent side. With three over age players allowed we could supply the goalie and probabley the right back.

GORDON*
HUTTON*
BALE
EVANS
SMALLING
RAMSEY
WILSHIRE
GIGGS*
CARROLL
Lafferty
Goodwillie

Lafferty was under 23 at the start of the European qualifying campaign so I think might be young enough. Maybe not the best side but allows representatives from all four nations.

I hope Lafferty would be overage. Wouldnt want that embarrassment getting anywhere near representing us at the olympics. Evans will be 24

CRAIG GORDON
AARON HUGHES
Danny Wilson
Chris Smalling
Keiran Gibbs
Gareth Bale
Aaron Ramsey
Jack Wilshere
STEVEN DAVIS
David Goodwillie
Daniel Sturridge

Others -
Hanlon
Booth
Corry Evans
Sam Vokes
Jack Rodwell
Danny Welbeck

easty
25-03-2011, 10:07 AM
When did England get their own national anthem :confused:

It'll always be theirs in my opinion.

Removed
25-03-2011, 10:41 AM
It'll always be theirs in my opinion.

And ours, FACT.

England don't have their own national anthem and if they did it would be Jerusalem or LOHAG not GSTQ.

Doubt it bothered Alan Wells, David Wilkie, Liz McColgan, Yvonne Murray, Chris Hoy and Rhona Martin.

Posh Swanny
25-03-2011, 10:49 AM
And ours, FACT.

England don't have their own national anthem and if they did it would be Jerusalem or LOHAG not GSTQ.

Doubt it bothered Alan Wells, David Wilkie, Liz McColgan, Yvonne Murray, Chris Hoy and Rhona Martin.

Agreed. LOHAG always used to get played for English winners at the Commonwealth games and they changed it to Jerusalem last year. Think it would be excellent if the footy team did the same but can't see it.

easty
25-03-2011, 11:21 AM
And ours, FACT.

Well if you're using capital letters I've certainly been told...:rolleyes:

God Save The Queen is the English national anthem, it's become so. It's played as their national anthem before they play football. It's not played as our national anthem before we play football (FACT :wink:).

I don't really care if it bothered Alan Wells or Liz McColgan. None of the people you mentioned play(ed) real sports anyway...:greengrin

PeeJay
25-03-2011, 11:39 AM

I'm all for a GB team "at the Olympics". If Sepp says it is OK for the Home Nations then let's take him up on it.

Team GB should surely only ever consist of players in there on merit, i.e. if they are all English, or Scottish or whatever so be it.

In Rugy Union they manage to have a GB team without any hassle amongst the fans, the GB athletics team is also accepted UK-wide, so what's the problem with football?

easty
25-03-2011, 11:46 AM
I'm all for a GB team "at the Olympics". If Sepp says it is OK for the Home Nations then let's take him up on it.

Team GB should surely only ever consist of players in there on merit, i.e. if they are all English, or Scottish or whatever so be it.

In Rugy Union they manage to have a GB team without any hassle amongst the fans, the GB athletics team is also accepted UK-wide, so what's the problem with football?

Are you refferring to the Brittish and Irish Lions? Or is there a GB rugby union team I'm unaware of? I'm also pretty sure they dont sing God Save The Queen before the Lions games. But, I could be wrong...

Hibs Class
25-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I'd probably be more interested in watching a British team at the Olympics than I currently am in watching anything to do with Scotland under Levein. Which considering I used to go to all the Scotland home games is quite a sad situation to have reached.

Ritchie
25-03-2011, 12:02 PM

GORDON*
HUTTON*
BALE
EVANS
SMALLING
RAMSEY
WILSHIRE
GIGGS*
CARROLL
Lafferty
Goodwillie

completely agree, especially with the first paragraph. :agree:

Dashing Bob S
25-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Equal representation strikes of patronising tokenism. He don't want hand-outs. No Scot or Northern Ireland player is good enough to be selected for a GB team, and we know it.

Anything other than 10 Englishmen and Bale in the starting line-up is a piece of mealy-mouthed social engineering designed to present our squabbling mish-mash as a great united nation. If we're crap (and we are) I'd rather that was acknowledged and we did something about it, rather than be patronised by permitted token entry to the big boys game. 'Oh look, here's Jock coming on as a subsitute. Had a decent season in Wolves reserves.'

They can stuff their GB team, the fascist, imperialist, English barstewards.

Ritchie
25-03-2011, 12:15 PM
Equal representation strikes of patronising tokenism. He don't want hand-outs. No Scot or Northern Ireland player is good enough to be selected for a GB team, and we know it.

Anything other than 10 Englishmen and Bale in the starting line-up is a piece of mealy-mouthed social engineering designed to present our squabbling mish-mash as a great united nation. If we're crap (and we are) I'd rather that was acknowledged and we did something about it, rather than be patronised by permitted token entry to the big boys game. 'Oh look, here's Jock coming on as a subsitute. Had a decent season in Wolves reserves.'

They can stuff their GB team, the fascist, imperialist, English barstewards.

rrrrriiiiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttt...... :aok:

ArabHibee
25-03-2011, 12:18 PM
No. Under FIFA rules, anyone who has a Scottish grandparent is eligible to play for Scotland. I'd prefer it to be parents only or a certain number of years schooling in Scotland but rules are rules and if players are happy to commit to Scotland then fine by me.

Totally disagree with the bit in bold. You want to play for Scotland then you are either born here, your parents were born here or at a push your grandparents. This certain number of years schooling is just nonsense and smacks of cheating in my opinion.

easty
25-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Pro-Scottishness shouldn't be mistaken for anti-Englishness.

I don't want to mix the Scottish football team with Germany, Iceland, Wales, England, anybody else.

I am quite anti-English too I suppose, but that doesnt help my argument..:wink:

marinello59
25-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Totally disagree with the bit in bold. You want to play for Scotland then you are either born here, your parents were born here or at a push your grandparents. This certain number of years schooling is just nonsense and smacks of cheating in my opinion.

So somebody moves to Scotland as a baby/young kid with their family, spend their whole life here, speak with a Scots accent, consider themselves Scots and we turn round and tell them we don't want them playing fitba for us. Aye right. Somebody in that situation is as Scottish as the rest of us.

Removed
25-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I am quite anti-English too I suppose, but that doesnt help my argument.:wink:

Glad you cleared that up, we'd never have guessed :wink:

easty
25-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Glad you cleared that up, we'd never have guessed :wink:

It's tough being this way when your wife-to-be's dad is a Englander. But I manage.:greengrin

Removed
25-03-2011, 01:37 PM
So somebody moves to Scotland as a baby/young kid with their family, spend their whole life here, speak with a Scots accent, consider themselves Scots and we turn round and tell them we don't want them playing fitba for us. Aye right. Somebody in that situation is as Scottish as the rest of us.

That's a fairly extreme example and not what we are tending to see happen. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that.

What we're tending to see is calling up guys who never went to school here, haven't set foot in the country, don't have the accent and have never ever considered themselves Scottish till they get a call because they have a granny who is/was. That is a joke imo no matter what the rules are and one of the reasons that international football is such a turn off for me.

Removed
25-03-2011, 01:38 PM
It's tough being this way when your wife-to-be's dad is a Englander. But I manage :greengrin

I know. My wife is English :eek:

easty
25-03-2011, 01:41 PM

That's a fairly extreme example and not what we are tending to see happen. I personally wouldn't have a problem with that.

What we're tending to see is calling up guys who never went to school here, haven't set foot in the country, don't have the accent and have never ever considered themselves Scottish till they get a call because they have a granny who is/was. That is a joke imo no matter what the rules are and one of the reasons that international football is such a turn off for me.

Agree with all this :agree:, except the bit in bold. In my opinion these players, even after accepting call-ups to the squad, don't see themselves as Scottish. They just see the opportunity to be seen as International footballers. They'd still class themselves as English.

marinello59
25-03-2011, 01:46 PM

It's what Arab considers cheating though.:greengrin

I'm not that bothered about the Granny rule. But then I am not that bothered about International football in general any more.

Removed
25-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Agree with all this :agree:, except the bit in bold. In my opinion these players, even after accepting call-ups to the squad, don't see themselves as Scottish. They just see the opportunity to be seen as International footballers. They'd still class themselves as English.

And I agree with that. It acually makes the situation worse imo.

Who would they support in an England v Germany World Cup Final should be the test :agree:

PeeJay
25-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Are you refferring to the Brittish and Irish Lions? Or is there a GB rugby union team I'm unaware of? I'm also pretty sure they dont sing God Save The Queen before the Lions games. But, I could be wrong...

There is/was a Great Britain Rugby League Team apparently...also known as the Lions...but yeah, I was referring to what I used to know as the British Lions (RU)- was unaware they had an "Irish" bit tagged on (seems it was first used in 2001)? - but the UK players play for the British Lions part of the team, so I feel my point still stands sort of; not being a "British team" they do not need to sing the NA ...

... would still like to see a GB team.

PeeJay
25-03-2011, 02:45 PM
And I agree with that. It acually makes the situation worse imo.

Who would they support in an England v Germany World Cup Final should be the test :agree:

I'm Scottish: I would support England, although I live in Germany....:na na:

Removed
25-03-2011, 05:36 PM
I'm Scottish: I would support England, although I live in Germany....:na na:

Why would any real Scot support them :dunno:

Greentinted
25-03-2011, 05:56 PM
Any team which doesn't even have the nous and imagination to name itself correctly has no right to any support - "Team GB"? What happened to Northern Ireland you shower of simpletons...? (directed at Seb Coe and Co)

Cocaine&Caviar
25-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Why would any real Scot support them :dunno:

You support their C team?

Gilks, McLevely, Bardsley, Fox, Morisson, Commons, Mackie, Driver, G Boyd, Mikael-Smith etc etc.

MyJo
25-03-2011, 06:59 PM
At the end of the day if any scottish, irish or welsh player stood up and said "i would like to be selected for team GB" there isn't a lot the football associations could do about it as they would be skelped through the courts for anything from employment law to human rights.

The same goes for the idea of having a quota of players from each of the home nations. it would be discrimination to exclude a large number of english players of much better quality that what could be found within the celtic nations based solely on the fact that they are english and they have to give a place to the scottish/irish/welsh player regardless of how good they are.

The major issue in all of this is Gareth Bale because he is one of the best players in british football right now and would stroll into a team GB. If he wants to play in the olympics then he should have the right to do so and he can afford the legal team to make sure he does if it comes to it.

fife hfc
25-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I hope Lafferty would be overage. Wouldnt want that embarrassment getting anywhere near representing us at the olympics. Evans will be 24CRAIG GORDON
AARON HUGHES
Danny Wilson
Chris Smalling
Keiran Gibbs
Gareth Bale
Aaron Ramsey
Jack Wilshere
STEVEN DAVIS
David Goodwillie
Daniel Sturridge

Others -
Hanlon
Booth
Corry Evans
Sam Vokes
Jack Rodwell
Danny Welbeck

I'm basing this on the fact that it is your age at the start of the qualifying campaign usually and both Lafferty and Evans would be young enough if they take the fact that it is the u21 tournament that is used to decide Europes participants. Going by this Aaron Lennon is 23 now and at the start of the qualifying he would be youmg enough.

Scotland as a nation fails imho due to our obsession with being the downtrodden victims of that big bully England. We must get over this if we want to be successful and develop a more positive national psyche as it is holding us back and means we will always be glorious losers.

Removed
25-03-2011, 07:21 PM
You support their C team?

Gilks, McLevely, Bardsley, Fox, Morisson, Commons, Mackie, Driver, G Boyd, Mikael-Smith etc etc.

And that is exactly why I have lost all interest in international football. I was at Hampden for the Spain, Argentina and Netherlands games but purely to see them not Scotland.

ancient hibee
25-03-2011, 07:58 PM
In the amateur days several Scots did play for Great Britain.Davy Holt for example,who went on to have a very good pro.career with Hearts,played when he was at Queens Park.