PDA

View Full Version : Yams Hearts 1985/86 juggernaut

bawheid
23-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I see the EEN are continuing with a series of articles on the 1985/86 season, which regular readers of Hibs.net will recall was when a glorious Hearts campaign ended with the Jambos winning the league and cup double.

Former Merrick Iain Jardine is interviewed today, and I quote from the article:

IAIN JARDINE remembers the fear within the Hibernian players as the Hearts juggernaut arrived at Easter Road in March 1986. "Hibs were terrified to play Hearts at that time. I don't care what anybody says, it was a known fact they were going to lose."

It's just as well for both Jardine and Hearts that the Gorgie Champions took maximum points from their fixtures with Hibernian that year, or else they wouldn't have won that title by one point on the last day of the season at Dens, and instead would have lost it on goal difference to Celtic.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/It-ended-in-tears-for.6739001.jp

HibeeB
23-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I see the EEN are continuing with a series of articles on the 1985/86 season, which regular readers of Hibs.net will recall was when a glorious Hearts campaign ended with the Jambos winning the league and cup double.

Former Merrick Iain Jardine is interviewed today, and I quote from the article:

It's just as well for both Jardine and Hearts that the Gorgie Champions took maximum points from their fixtures with Hibernian that year, or else they wouldn't have won that title by one point on the last day of the season at Dens, and instead would have lost it on goal difference to Celtic.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/It-ended-in-tears-for.6739001.jp

Typical deluded arrogance.

Although I did meet a philosophical Jambo once....

...Just Kidding :hahaha:

Cabbage East
23-03-2011, 02:29 PM
What happened at Dens? Anyone got a link to video or perhaps a pic?

Hibercelona
23-03-2011, 02:39 PM

Its not entirely clear, but I think this is a picture of a couple of jolly jambos celebrating their fantastic double. :agree:

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/9577/greetinjambos.jpg

bawheid
23-03-2011, 02:41 PM

Did you not read the OP? :bitchy:

They won the league and cup double. :boo hoo:

Didn't they?

Hillsidehibby
23-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Did you not read the OP? :bitchy:

They won the league and cup double. :boo hoo:

Didn't they?

Yes they did.

I saw "League Champions 86" Hearts scarves so the must have.

hibbytam
23-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Sorry, I think this is all a little before my time. Could someone perhaps fill me in on the details?

Cabbage East
23-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Details appear to be patchy. Shall we just assume they cantered to a commendable league and cup double?

Bostonhibby
23-03-2011, 04:14 PM

I think what happened is that to mark the double winning season every Yam got an official "Double winners" Haircut, as modelled by the plum on the left in the picture on post number 4. They were given out free with the Championship winners scarves. It was such a momentous occasion that a great many of them still look and dress like this today.

lyonhibs
23-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Its not entirely clear, but I think this is a picture of a couple of jolly jambos celebrating their fantastic double. :agree:

Tears of joy at seeing their team clinch the league I'm sure. Probably tears of laughter as well at the fact that we lost all our games against them that season - didn't we??

KiddA
23-03-2011, 05:01 PM

This has to be my favorite pic ever :agree: I was just a wee boy but I remember my old man pissing his sides about it :tee hee:

Bishop Hibee
23-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I can't wait for the EEN special on the 86/87 season when Hearts went on to win the European Cup. We gave them all 12 points that season without playing them as the outcome was so certain or is my memory failing?

Future17
23-03-2011, 05:22 PM
We only did this thread at the start of the month:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?205644-Football-Years-1986-Fri-2100-STV&highlight=1986

Do we really have to go through it all again? Just makes us look a bit pathetic IMO.

Hibercelona
23-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Tears of joy at seeing their team clinch the league I'm sure. Probably tears of laughter as well at the fact that we lost all our games against them that season - didn't we??

I wouldn't joke about it. :tsk tsk:

I'm pretty sure I heard that plenty of Hibbys were in tears of agony at the time. Unless of course.... i've somehow been misinformed? :confused:

This has to be my favorite pic ever :agree: I was just a wee boy but I remember my old man pissing his sides about it :tee hee:

The hair just tops it off for me. :agree:

His barber was a hibby nah nah nah nah! :music:

Sas_The_Hibby
23-03-2011, 05:49 PM

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?205644-Football-Years-1986-Fri-2100-STV&highlight=1986

Do we really have to go through it all again? Just makes us look a bit pathetic IMO.

I agree entirely. I was mightily relieved they failed at the time but let's face it, they got closer than we ever have in the last 50 years or more.

KiddA
23-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Sas_The_Hibby
23-03-2011, 05:56 PM

There's SOME echo in here............... :wink:

Springbank
23-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I can't wait for the EEN special on the 86/87 season when Hearts went on to win the European Cup. We gave them all 12 points that season without playing them as the outcome was so certain or is my memory failing?

yes, and it all started with a defeat at Tynecastle in August 86 to the mighty Gable Endies of Montrose. Two nil.

We all know by now that it takes a massive team to crassssshhhhhh out of three competitions in three consecutive games (albeit with a summer break between games 2 and 3) but I will never forgive Albert Kidd, John Hewitt and Billy Stark, or for that matter Alan Lyons and Mark Bennett of Montrose… and the Montrose keeper Ray Charles (presumably not the blind entertainer, but I guess you never know!)

This is from the Montrose website:

A goal from Alan Lyons, followed by a second from Mark Bennett, 12 minutes into the second half, took Montrose to a two - nil lead. Some great defensive work and Ray Charles' brilliance kept the Jam Tarts at bay and, when referee Sandy Roy blew his whistle at the end of the match, the Gable Endies brought Heart's fine home run to a juddering halt.
The heroes on the night were; Charles, Barr, McLelland, Brown, Sheran, Lyons, Allan, Bennett, Paterson, & McDonald. Subs; Murray & Wright.
The next round saw Montrose drawn away to Dundee where they lost 4-0.

HAHAHA

Sprouleflyer
23-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I would just like to add........

Marshall's chunky chickens, Marshall's chunky chickens....we're gonna win the league........we're gonna win the cup!!!

bawheid
23-03-2011, 07:37 PM

I agree entirely. I was mightily relieved they failed at the time but let's face it, they got closer than we ever have in the last 50 years or more.

As the thread starter, I feel I should comment.

I felt the Evening News article tonight provided a further insight into Yammish Big Team theory, that my fellow Hibbies may wish to discuss.

Jardine states:

"Hibs were terrified to play Hearts at that time. I don't care what anybody says, it was a known fact they were going to lose."

The irony is not lost on me, that had Jardine's "known fact" been true, Hearts would have in fact won the league at Dens on 3rd May, instead of chucking it away in such spectacular fashion.

It's a worthy thread IMO.

Albanian Hibs
23-03-2011, 07:51 PM

I felt the Evening News article tonight provided a further insight into Yammish Big Team theory, that my fellow Hibbies may wish to discuss.

Jardine states:

"Hibs were terrified to play Hearts at that time. I don't care what anybody says, it was a known fact they were going to lose."

The irony is not lost on me, that had Jardine's "known fact" been true, Hearts would have in fact won the league at Dens on 3rd May, instead of chucking it away in such spectacular fashion.

:agree: it will never ever get boring laughing at the muppets

Bostonhibby
23-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Jardine states:

:greengrin Good enough for me Pal, I contributed to the last postings and will probably be hooked into the next ones as well, however tenuous the reason for the post. An enjoyable bit of fun, nothing more for me.

Hibercelona
23-03-2011, 08:00 PM
:agree: it will never ever get boring laughing at the muppets

If there was a job out there that involved laughing at the yam bams all day, i'd gladly do it for free. :agree:

Bostonhibby
23-03-2011, 08:07 PM
I think the celebrations continued well into the night here as well.

I amy well have posted this before so apologies in advance for any lack of originality, repetition, offence etc,,,,,,:wink:

Sprouleflyer
23-03-2011, 08:19 PM
I think the celebrations continued well into the night here as well.

I amy well have posted this before so apologies in advance for any lack of originality, repetition, offence etc,,,,,,:wink:

That picture sums the manky mob up for me.

Hertz scarf with Union Jack and Red Hand of Ulster badges.

Don't know if they were more gutted at loosing the league or Celtic winning the league......mini huns? Very much so!!

1two
23-03-2011, 10:07 PM
There's SOME echo in here............... :wink:

What?

Mixu62
23-03-2011, 10:31 PM

It's those barnets that do it for me!:faf:

Sas_The_Hibby
23-03-2011, 10:36 PM
What?

Identical post twice perhaps?